Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,992 | Reviews: 1,803
1.46/5  rDev -63.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Black with ht browhe edges of the beer
Smell- Malty with a slight smoky aroma
Taste- Where is the smokey part? Tastes like hoppy beer to me. and I did not find anything else
Moutfeel- Stingy and terrible
Overall- I am not a fan of this type of beers and basically tasted llike old Guiness beerr and no smoked flavor in it. SHould save my money!

1.46/5  rDev -63.5%

Wow this was terrible. Looked ok, not much aroma, mild roast little hint of smoke. Taste like a 6% black ipa, piney grapefruit. The bottle listed several flavors that were not present. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, not pleasant.

Rating this to the black IPA style it would be average. I don't know how this is called a porter, no roast, no chocolate, no coffee, no caramel, no porter characteristics at all. This is my second bad purchase from Wegemans Malvern in the last 2 weeks, have to stop going there.

What a disappointment, my first from Stone. Lousy beer. Don't know wtf happened here. Waste of money.

1.98/5  rDev -50.5%

24 oz bottle poured into a glass. No date or code discernible.
A- Mostly black with a slight brownish tinge around the edges.
S- Mostly malty with a slight smoky aroma
T- Is this supposed to be the smokey part? Tastes like hops to me. And nothing else.
M- Average
D- What am I missing here? Is this an old bottle? I am not a fan of hoppy beers and that all this basically tastes like to me, nothing at all like a porter and no smoked flavor either. Very disappointing.

Pretty bland, not a whole lot of interesting characteristics. Considering it is made by Stone, you kinda sip down wondering if you're just missing something, expecting it to maybe come out a bit more as it warms, but it never happens. This might be one of the most "meh" beers I have ever had and by far the worst Stone. Tastes more like Miller or Budweiser attempted to make C.D.A.

2.18/5  rDev -45.5%

Just not a big fan of Stone's porter/stout offerings. This has an incredibly thin body, low smoke flavor, just overall really boring.

2.19/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

Reminds me of chocolate soda. Thin taste and mouth feel. Much better porters out there.

2.21/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

It was ok, not my favorite

2.34/5  rDev -41.5%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself.

2.41/5  rDev -39.8%

This is the only product I've sampled from one of my favorite breweries that I cannot stand. I've tried this on multiple occasions while visiting the stone brewery just to see if maybe my opinion would change, but it hasn't. The smoothness of the beer is it's best attribute. The smoky flavor is unappetizing and leaves me wanting to get anything else on the menu in my glass to overpower the flavor. Think I'm done trying to give this a chance and will just leave this off my list of beers I like.

2.43/5  rDev -39.3%

Original Rating Date:
September 25, 2008

Pours dark black with a nice, foamy brown head. Beautiful, steady, permanent lacing that lingers down the glass. Great looking beer in the glass. Smells of weak malts -- no smokiness, no chocolate, nothing else. Very disappointing aroma. Flavor is lots of chocolate, ironically not very smokey at all. Digging deeper there is some dark fruit there. There's a bit of a watery character to the beer as well. Unusually weak brew from Stone. Other reviews on this site rave, but I didn't come away with a great experience from this beer.

2.43/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Terrible, just so bad. I had three sips and dumped it down the drain. One of the few beers I've had to get rid of. Stone is an over-hyped brewery and most of what they make are IPAs and pale ales that all taste the same. Avoid it if you can.

2.47/5  rDev -38.3%

Had this on tap at the First Street Draught House in town. Came out a very dark black with some ruby highlights on the edges. Nice creamy tan head on top. Left beautiful sip rings. Smoke is surprisingly absent in the nose. I was expecting a smoky, roasted scent, but in its place was just some cocoa tones with a sweet finish.

Very creamy body on this beer. Carbonation level was low. Smooth. No smoke in the flavor either. What makes this smoked? This tastes like a regular porter to me. Some light coffee bitterness, mild chocolate flavors, and roasted malts on the finish. Sorry, but this was boring when I expected something a little more original.

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very smoky, but also too thin. All the variants were much, much better than the base. Meh.

2.53/5  rDev -36.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a dimpled mug

a-off brown color held up to light could see right through..little to no head at all

smell-slightly roasted malt, smoke smell was there but we will get to that in a minute. no hop aroma present

t-this is where the dissapointment came in..there was no "meat" to this porter...it was very watery and boring. with the smoke smell in the nose i could not figure out where it was in the taste...slightly roasted malt taste but overall boring

note--maybe i got an off bottle but i shared it with a pal and we both had the same look on our face upon tasting..stone is a great brewery and i have to say that this is the only beer ive have had by them i was not happy with..

drinkablitly--i literally could drink this beer all night because of the consistency and abv but not by choice

2.64/5  rDev -34%

Big fan of porters, and for the price thought this looked worth trying. Won't break this down much, just didn't like it. If I weren't looking at the bottle I wouldn't have guessed smoked at all. More hoppy than expected, dominated any nuance this beer might have had, and I never got the smoked taste I was hoping for. Had this with smoked ribs as many suggested, big disappointment, dumped it and opened a St. Arnolds. Pluses? Rich dark color.

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%

1 pt 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and good retention. The head colour is a slight tan. Colour is a solid black. It's generally appealing.

Sm: Slight rauchbier smoke, caramelized malt, a bit of roast, and light bacon. A mild strength aroma.

T: Light roast, some smoke, caramelized malt, and a bit of bacon. A bit simple compared to expectations. It's well balanced, though. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours. It's a touch too thick.

Dr: Very drinkable for a smoked beer, but a bit too malty. It's got an average ABV and a high price. I don't think I'd have it again.

2.66/5  rDev -33.5%

22 from BevMo

A - Pours brown-black body with a little dark chocolate head, which dissipates fast.

S - Mocha, coffee, almonds, and lt alcohol.

T - Dark coffee and pear.

M - Slightly bitter, medium carbonation.

D - Where's the smoke? Will not by again.

2.71/5  rDev -32.3%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

2.71/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/01/08

Pours very dark brown/black with generous 3 finger light tan head. The head leaves some nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is smoky and slightly chocolatey.

The taste leaves much to be desired. I would say the smokiness overpowers everything, but there's hardly any smoke flavor there and I can't even detect any other flavors. The taste is very empty, very lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation. Bitter. This one is hard to drink, mainly due to the poor (lack of) taste.

I had high hopes for this beer but was quite disappointed.

2.73/5  rDev -31.8%

A - poured with 5 inches of brown head and one and a half of beer. dark brown/black. clear. way too much foam

S - tough to tell at first because it is mostly head, as i wait for the head to clear and pour more in my glass i get a nice smokey, chocolate aroma.

T - Smokey/chocolate flavors much like the aroma

M - Nice smooth mouthfeel, though a bit tingly from the carbonation/bubbles

D - after fighting through the foam/waiting for it to clear, fairly drinkable, feels quite nice on the back of my tongue and throat. But way too much foam

Overall, I think I got a messed up batch, head/carbonation was out of control. I found the Smell and Taste to lack complexity.

*came back to edit my review because I poured the other half of my beer in the glass thinking maybe my pouring was the problem but it over foamed again, knocks down the drinkablilty, cant drink foam right?

2.76/5  rDev -31%

I felt like for a porter it had a bit much of a hops aroma, typical Stone, had this with two other people and we all felt the same. I love Porters but thought this was not a great smoked porter. Color, pour and head were excellent, it's a well made beer but not for me. I Porter is one of my favorite styles, but this I'll probably reach for something else.

2.81/5  rDev -29.8%

When deciding what beer we wanted to taste today, Sheryl said, “Try something dark.” So I grabbed a porter. It’s dark! Plus, I have been on a porter kick lately. Last month I was hooked on reds and the month before that IPAs. Next month, maybe I will switch to Belgian beers! Speaking of Stone, we were just in San Diego for Thanksgiving and visited the brewery. I couldn’t be that close and not visit. The brewery was nice, but it wasn’t as big as I thought. I did get to see some of the 12/12/12, and the 11/11/11 that has been aged in red wine barrels. I would rather try that one than the 12/12/12. At any rate, today we are drinking the Stone Smoked Porter. I had the Alaskan Smoked Porter a few weeks ago for the first time. Beer bloggers are raving about the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Not sure why… it was just OK. But the way people talk about this beer, it will be better. Let’s drink, people!

In the Glass: This beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a really nice head, too. A white head that leaves a gorgeous lace on the glass. For a beer that is only $3.99 a bomber, regardless of the ABV, it is worth buying to see/experience this head. I haven’t even tasted it yet and it was worth 4 bucks. Let’s see what it smells like.

Nose: Before I smell this, know that I had a smoked porter last night at Fate Brewing Company here in Scottsdale. They are producing some incredible beers, and their smoked porter is excellent. As it gets close to room temperature, the smokiness really comes out and leaves an aftertaste like I just smoked a cigarette. It is lovely! So the Stone has some tough competition here… and it smells OK. It has more chocolate aroma than it does smokey notes. But that’s OK. I like chocolate, too. I might be picking up some burnt caramel/vanilla notes toward the end there.

Flavor: The flavor is not as big as I expected. Granted, if you look at the price, it fits. But the expectation that I get from Stone is that their beers are “epic” and loaded with flavor. This one is not. It’s decent, don’t get me wrong. But it is not something worth writing home about. The best part of this beer is the aftertaste. Not really getting much smoke on the palate. If I am getting anything, it is dark chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It sort of just slides across the tongue and is gone. There is not much going on in the mouth here. I expected something thick, fluffy, and something that would have me excited to take a second sip. But this beer, in regards to the mouthfeel, is pretty boring.

Aftertaste: Here we go. The aftertaste. What makes the Fate smoked porter good is the aftertaste. That is what makes this one tolerable. The ABV is pretty low on this, under 6%. But as a porter, I expect something a little thicker with a little more flavor. The aftertaste is where you get the smoke flavors. Still not much flavor, but the aftertaste is still here a few minutes after I swallowed. This is good, but not the best offering from Stone. Sorry guys, but Fate Brewing has you beat on the smoked porter.

2.81/5  rDev -29.8%

A: Dark brownish black, fluffy tan head with very long retention but little lacing.

S: Very strong smokey smell, fairly sweet, like vanilla or caramel. Also surprisingly boozy considering the low ABV, which gives it a bit of a medicinal edge.

T/M: Lots of sweet malts up front: caramel, vanilla, roasted flavors. The sweetness eventually subsides a little to make way for some smokey, burnt flavors and bitter hops. The mouthfeel is really smooth and creamy, probably the best aspect of this beer.

O: The first Stone beer I'm not really crazy about. Too sweet, and the malty, smokey sweetness hangs over everything. Underneath there seems to be a nice beer hiding out but any additional flavors are mostly just overpowered.

2.82/5  rDev -29.5%

A - Deep brown color, borderline black. Nice lacing around the glass.

S - Tons of smoke. Also chocolate and coffee.

T - The taste is smokey malts, with chocolate and coffee just like the aroma, but there is also that black licorice taste as well.

M - Medium to full body beer. Pretty thick.

D - I'm sure if I liked the beer and it's style, it'd be a much easier beer to drink.

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%

On tap at the brewery after the tour. I have had this before but this one had more flavor. Dark black with a cocoa head. Smells smoky. This just tastes way too smoky for me, I wonder how they get the smoke flavor?? My cousin's exact words were :"You can't hide behind your IPA forever!". Needless to say the Stone employees did not take a liking to us. I bet this would be better with the chipotle peppers or vanilla beans to temper that smokiness.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.