Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

chippo33, Mar 05, 2014
1.9/5  rDev -52.6%

kcn0, Aug 25, 2014
1.93/5  rDev -51.9%

24 oz bottle poured into a glass. No date or code discernible.
A- Mostly black with a slight brownish tinge around the edges.
S- Mostly malty with a slight smoky aroma
T- Is this supposed to be the smokey part? Tastes like hops to me. And nothing else.
M- Average
D- What am I missing here? Is this an old bottle? I am not a fan of hoppy beers and that all this basically tastes like to me, nothing at all like a porter and no smoked flavor either. Very disappointing.

Fartknocker, Sep 25, 2009

sansho, Aug 05, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

canders0927, Sep 24, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -42.6%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself.

TWM, Jan 01, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

This is the only product I've sampled from one of my favorite breweries that I cannot stand. I've tried this on multiple occasions while visiting the stone brewery just to see if maybe my opinion would change, but it hasn't. The smoothness of the beer is it's best attribute. The smoky flavor is unappetizing and leaves me wanting to get anything else on the menu in my glass to overpower the flavor. Think I'm done trying to give this a chance and will just leave this off my list of beers I like.

oldsailor, Mar 20, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -38.9%

Original Rating Date:
September 25, 2008

Pours dark black with a nice, foamy brown head. Beautiful, steady, permanent lacing that lingers down the glass. Great looking beer in the glass. Smells of weak malts -- no smokiness, no chocolate, nothing else. Very disappointing aroma. Flavor is lots of chocolate, ironically not very smokey at all. Digging deeper there is some dark fruit there. There's a bit of a watery character to the beer as well. Unusually weak brew from Stone. Other reviews on this site rave, but I didn't come away with a great experience from this beer.

Vendetta, Dec 14, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -38.9%

Had this on tap at the First Street Draught House in town. Came out a very dark black with some ruby highlights on the edges. Nice creamy tan head on top. Left beautiful sip rings. Smoke is surprisingly absent in the nose. I was expecting a smoky, roasted scent, but in its place was just some cocoa tones with a sweet finish.

Very creamy body on this beer. Carbonation level was low. Smooth. No smoke in the flavor either. What makes this smoked? This tastes like a regular porter to me. Some light coffee bitterness, mild chocolate flavors, and roasted malts on the finish. Sorry, but this was boring when I expected something a little more original.

Onenote81, Jan 11, 2010

Robyn, Sep 08, 2014

irishgreensoda, Jun 16, 2014

Bjeerfalls, Feb 15, 2012

BHOBS, Dec 20, 2011
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.