Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,779 | Hads: 4,070
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a very dark brown, nearly black color. Looked like liquid molasses, topped by a layer of creamy tan foam. The aroma has soft dark toffee notes with some sweet brown sugar. The taste is bitter with touches of roasted smoke. The smoke in this beer is really subdued and pleasant unlike the morning after campfire I was expecting. Creamy and roasted body which is generally smooth and solid. An assertive porter with some nice subtle enhancements. Very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

My first Stone Ale and well worth the wait it's taken to try one.

Apperarance: Black with a very full and very lingering head. If looks could kill, this beer would be on death row right about now.

smell: Chocolate first and foremost. There is also just the slightest hint of smoke to be found.

taste: Again I'm getting chocolate above anything else, but the coffee undertones are still there in force and the smoky aspect.... not too strong not too faint, just about perfect.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and the smoke seems to be more noticable than in the taste alone or the smell. Still not overpowering by any means, but more assertive and ready to scare off all those "yellow fizzy" beer drinkers.

drinkability: Could see myself very easily having a couple bombers back to back of this majestic brew. Can only speak for myself, but it lives up to any hype it's been given and then some.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

...so I was looking for an imperial stout at my local store... The store was out... Hmm... I never tried the stoned smoked porter, what the heck.

I'm drinking this too fast to review! ...And my my my, this has become a favorite of mine....

It pours dark brown almost black from the 22oz bomber, leaving some carmel colored foam. It dissipates, leaving a ring which laces on the glass quite a bit. Small foamy islands float about the top.

it smells nice and roasty and malty and smokey with lots of sweet something. Molassis? ...not sure, but it smells yummy.

Taste is very nice and rich. Nice and malty and smokey and robust. It has a complex sweetness that just hits the spot.

Mouthfeel is creamy. The robust sweet taste plays into some coarseness at the beginning of the drink, which turns into a velvet blanket. It is really good!

Needless to say this has a very rich, robust body. The finish is a sweet dissipation in fizz, followed by a slight bitter whap. Unfortunately there is a slight aftertaste, but the next sip takes care of that.

I recommend trying this if you are into rich dark beers, or want to experiment with a fine porter with a smokey twist. If you like to stick with the macro brewerie's light varietes - beware - this will smack your senses silly with rich wonderful flavors.

Also note - if you find it in a store, and are considering it - BUY ONE! They are hard to come by. yes, $5 can be considered a lot to lay down for one big beer, but it is a very worthwhile purchase for both your enjoyment and for the support it provides to our fine American hand crafted breweries.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a very nice deep brown/black color with some very nice head and good lacing. Excellent scent, deep and dark with nice coffee undertones and a great smoked aroma. Excellent flavor as well, with the smokiness really coming through but not overpowering the deep malt and coffee porter flavors. Went down very well, and although I don't know if I could have many of these at one setting because of the intense flavors, it was a wonderful brew.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours witha large tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving a ton of lacing. A beautiful dark brown with a ruby tint, slight bit of chill haze.

Nice hop bouquet, lots of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke.

Tastes of roasted and chocolate malts, lots of piney hops, big hop profile, smokey undertones, and finishes with a nice bitter hoppiness.

Good carbonation and medium to heavy body.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one into a Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass. The body is dark, like a storm cloud on a moonless night. The head is creamy tan and inviting.

The aroma is dominated by roasted barely malt simmering in high-end coffee. I'm also picking up some not so subtle dark chocolate notes along with wisps of BBQ smoke. Close your eyes, employ a little imagination and your sitting by a campfire, chowing down on s'mores.

This brew has a uncomplicated roasty mocha flavor to it, and trailing along on the back end comes a pretty decent hop bite for a porter.

The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with not much carbonation--which, considering the style, is perfect.

Overall this is a great porter, and it won't be my last.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Appears an almost completely lightless black, the tiniest amount escapes through when held up to light. One finger of white head turns into a relatively thick cap. A good looking glass.

Smells of smoked wood in front of typical porter smells of chocolate, caramel, sweet roasted coffee.

Tastes very good as well, the smoke isn't overpowering but definitely present to compliment the chocolate, cream, and toffee possibly?

Thin bodied and med to high carbonated, this is the right mix as a flat smoked porter would simply not work.

As for drinkability, I'll just say I won't have any issues finishing the bomber. A very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Had on tap at Bobbique in Patchogue, New York. Served in a pint glass.

I've reviewed the bottle version of this but I have yet to drink the tap version. The bottle of Stone Smoked Porter was one of my early favorites so I'm looking forward to this guy.

Look: very dark for a porter, almost black except some deep brown highlights when held to the light. The head is slightly off white. A bit of carbonation is visible but not a whole lot. Looks very good.

Smell: a bit of smoky malt but despite the name, not as smoky as one would think. Dark, roasted malt dominates with some dark chocolate, black coffee, and a bit of dark caramel is found in the nose. I'm struggling to find any hoppiness but that's perfectly fine by me. Very good.

Taste: follows the nose well. A bit of smoky malt but its very subdued. Black coffee, dark chocolate, dark caramel and those typical dark malt flavors permeate through powerfully with hints of hops. Absolutely delicious.

Feel: thick and creamy. Very full bodied for a porter and I love it. Great mouthfeel.

Drink: could very well drink this pint after pint. Great drinkability.

Overall, I haven't had this in a long, long time so I am glad I saw it on tap and had a chance to retry it. I remember absolutely loving this beer and it was one of the beers that got me passionate about craft beer. I am glad that my palate still appreciates this and that I was right about this one back in the day. This porter is incredibly flavorful and puts many stouts to shame in terms of flavor.

I still recommend this one whole heartedly. Give this one a go if you can! Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark, dark brown with ruby edges. Fluffy & loose 1" khaki colored head. Thick, beautiful lacing.

Scent is billowing over with milk chocolate, milk chocolate & milk chocolate. Vanilla & dark roasted malts a fastened-in quite nicely. Everything about this bouquet screams sweet & creamy.

All the scents mentioned above follow through in the flavor very accurately. A beautifully balanced hop presence counterweighs the chocolate & roasted malt flavors beautifully. There's also a splendid bitterness the hops provide that give it a full spectrum tasting experience; Creamy, sweet, dry & somewhat bitter. There is a sneaky smoky flavor that commingles with the hops making it camouflaged. I'd be hard pressed to think this was a smoked porter if it wasn't stated on the bottle.

Mouthfeel is delectable. How many times have I used the adjective 'creamy'? Well, I'll use it again for the mouthfeel. Carbonation is comprised of larger feeling bubbles and is on the tamer side of kinetic. A somewhat dry finish makes the long lingering roasted malts fade rather poetically.

Drinkability is top-notch. I'm going to finish the rest of this bomber sitting fireside in my living room right now.

Overall a stellar porter which I regret not having tried much sooner. This beer has everything for me. This is a creamy (there's that adjective again!) version of an Edmund Fitzgerald and then some - utterly fantastic!

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

It poured into the glass a very dark brown/red in color. The head was a creamy light chocolate in color and very thick. And the lace seemed to last to the end of the glass. The aroma is deep malt, lightly smoked, caramel, and even a hint of coffee and elements of chocolate. The taste is of a sweet malt, caramel hints of coffee/chocolate and smoke. It is nicely hopped, and I really enjoyed the smoke qualities in this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

From tap into Pint Glass.

I've had this great brew, a few times before but have not had a chance to review it.

Poured very dark brown with a slight reddish tint. There was a thin head that stuck around for moderate lacing.

With a Smoked Smell of the roasted caramel malts, this is what I would expect a smoked porter to smell like.

A really good taste with moderate carbonation. Came through Dry in the front, with smokey/woody undertones in the middle to back. Nice hop to malt balance.

Thank you Stone...One of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

Thank you Stone...

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

From recently discovered notes: Dark chocolate brown, with scarlet edges when held up to the light. The head is thick and khaki coloured, it lasts for a while and leaves some decent lacing on my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. The aroma is of chocolate and caramel malts, roasted malts, starbucks coffee, and a bit of smoke. The taste is malty up front with some lovely chocolate and coffee notes in the middle. The smoke is subtle compared to other smoke beers, but it is very enjoyable as well. The mouthfeel is very creamy and s-m-o-o-t-h and the drinkability is good as well. Another awesome, but subdued, stone brew!

Bomber poured into Boulevard tulip

A - rich, dark amber (only seen when held to the light). head is off-white, two fingers, dissipating quickly with great lacing.

S - smoke, roasted malt, caramel

T - smooth, sweet malt, smoke finish but not overpowering. coffee, bitterness, slight hops on the tongue

M - light bodied, round, effervescent.

O- I love this beer. way too easy to drink one or twelve of these. As soon as the smoke element emerges in the finish, it's so tempting to go back and refuel the palate again and again.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a great porter. but it's not smoky. at all. other than the misleading label, this is an outstanding beverage.
If you are looking for something smoky, something with serious rauch appeal, grab a a rogue smoke ale, or an alaskan smoked porter, but not this.
Pours almost black, a tinge of amber can be seen around the edges when holding it to the light, lets you know it's not quite a stout.
the smell is fantastic, chocolately, grains, caramel. almost some smoke hiding in there somewhere.
It tastes just like it smells, rich and velvetey.
also, a buck or two cheaper than most stone beers, so a great bargain.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

At first this beer seems a little light for a Smoked Porter or for being Stone, but it's more subtle than that. A thick brown-biege head floats for a while over top of a brown but not quite black body with ruby highlights. The nose has a sharp spicy hop, not fruit but lots of malt mingled. Definately lighter than a stout but still a almost chew, underattenuated mouthfeel--sweet and grainy. Chococlate and black licorice in the taste, sweet malt through, and then, hey, isn't this supposed to be a SMOKED porter, and there it is as the glass pulls away, the smoke wafts up through your mouth and nose. Light, clean, but assertive all at the same time and not overwhelming in any way. One of the best blended smoked tastes ever in a beer. Let it warm up a bit and then drink fast. Best part was in the middle between cold and a long sitting warm.

BA Reflection: Looking at other reviews, I seem to be on the high end compared to everyone else. I love Stone and that's part of it. I think they just fit who I am. But beyond that this is a beer to be appreciated for the subtle character of the smoke. It's not a rauchbier and it's not over the top, especially by Stone's standards, and I think some see that as a weakness. When I first had this beer five years ago, I rated it even higher--in part because I was younger in my tasting and it's a really nice, complex beer that's not overwhelming or an extreme beer. On draft at RFD, it was also open and accented it's strength. Love this beer and will drink more whenever I get a chance.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

What a great beer! Stone is two for two so far in my ratings. This one poured a dark brown, almost black with a tan creamy head. Strong aromas were sweet, smoked (duh) malts, and No. MN peat bog. Taste was dominated by smoky roasty malts. I was reminded of beef jerky. Despite the obvious smokiness, this beer was wonderfully balanced by a bitter finisth. Huge mouthfeel. I would buy this by the case.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A- pours a dark brown with a nice two-finger frothy head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S- The first thing I notice is alcohol. Some hops in the background... The usual smokey/ burnt porter smell.

T- Warm alcohol. Smokey coffee with a hint of fruitiness. Just enough hops to balance the brew nicely.

M- Smooth and creamy. Maybe just a shade too much carbonation.

D- excellent! Smooth drinking, very well balanced. An excellent porter.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 24 oz glass. Definitely a good porter, and definitely has a little of that "smoked" flavor, but to me this beer doesn't stick out from other good porters as the best. Basically, it was worth a try, but I probably won't buy it over other porters that I think are just as good but available at a cheaper price.

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a simple black with a satisfyingly thick head. The aroma presents hickory smoke, tobacco, cedar, coffee, and burning gasoline, though not in an unpleasant way. Indeed, I love the slightly mechanical hint to this beer. I also get a touch of roasted hazelnut on the nose, this one grows as the beer warms. The taste leads with a sweet coffee flavor, followed by hickory smoke, the kind you get from eating really good smoked barbecue. The motuhfeel isa bit thin, but maybe that is for the best given the heavy quality of the beer. Overall I adore this beer. It is deep, rich, complex, and utterly drinkable.

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance - Black in the glass. Capped by whitish-tan head, leaving lacing down the glass as I drink. Held to the light it is straight ruby. A dark drink here boys and girls.

Smell - Dark malt, and a hint of smoke. A bit disappointed here, was expecting more smoke. Perhaps I may be jaded from Aecht Sch., but I thought it a bit lacking in smoke aroma.

Taste - Well! Made up for the lack of aroma here! There's dark malt flavors composed of dark bittersweet chocolate. Intertwined with the dark malt is a thick, powerful smoke flavor. Caramel and roast round out the malt bill, and hops are limited to bittering role, perhaps a bit overpowered by the smoke. Can't say I mind though, this is a truly delicious drink! The chocolatey and smokey characteristics blend masterfully, dueling for control of the beer. This is a proper porter as well, much restrained in the roast sort of taste, barely posessing it at all. I like my stouts roasty and my porters malty and bittersweet, and this fully fits the bill, living up to my buddy's exhortations. He picked me up a bomber at DLD this year since we can't get them here in Illinois. Overall the flavor is explosive, yet restrained. There's a warming quality about it that manages to expose alcohol without being hot or solvent-like. Additionally I feel the smoke taste to dissipate fast once poured into the glass, so I used my smaller tulip and refilled more often.

Mouthfeel - Velvet. Pure and simple this is a silky smooth and slightly viscous and thick porter. Not slick and viscous, but more soft and fluffy. I almost feel like there's some sort of mouthfeel related smoke properties here, not sure. Carbonation adequate, ideal even. There's just enough CO2 to prickle the mouth as you drink, adding to the voluptuous, voluminous mouthfeel overall.

Drinkability - I damn dear well gave this a five here as well, but compared to lighter fare it isn't truly that drinkable. It is merely extremely drinkable for such a beer with a medium-heavy body and chock full of flavor. I noticed myself gulping the stuff down and had to check myself as I only have the one bomber, and as such should savor and sip. Still, this stuff makes you want to take big, full drinks.

Lovely all around, highly recommended. Stone needs to come to Illinois post haste.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a midnight black with a thin tan head from my 22 oz bomber. I've also had it on tap and I think the tap version has a stronger smoke flavor.

Smell is smokey, coffee and faint chocolate

Taste is smokey, coffee and some chocolate. A little hop bitterness on the back end.

Nice mouth feel, what you would expect from a porter

Good drink ability, would be a good session beer with the low ABV,except the smokiness detracts from the ability to drink too many of these.

This is a great smoked porter, one of the best examples of the style.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle from Liquor Barn in Lexington, poured into a tervis tumbler (still don't have my glasses yet)

A: Rich dark, practically opaque, with a nice two-finger head, very tan, that diminishes but doesn't quite disappear after 2/3 of a beer. Seen better, but it's very good.

S: Rich caramel, malts, and chocolate.

T: A tasty porter. Rich is the word of the day. Complex malts and syrup initially, with a nice touch of hops and coffee on the back end. Bittersweet. Not as much obvious smoke, but an aftereffect of smoke that feels good.

M: Rich, and frothy without being foamy. Bubbly without going overboard, and a very pleasant feel on the tongue. Ideal for a porter.

O: I've been more blown away by porters (Founder's, Great Lakes,) but this is very good.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Dark ruby-brown appearance, but the head is ridiculous - its about 3 inches thick and really doesn't settle down.

Smokey, somewhat milky smell, combined with chocolate, toffee and sweet, sugary coffee. The smokiness is noticeable, but fairly tame. This smells almost like Camp coffee.

A bit more tart taste, and the smokiness is a bit more noticeable, but this still has an almost coffee-and-cream flavour to it, with a bit of sugar in it. Chocolate, burnt toffee and butter swirl around in the flavour.

Mouthfeel is bang-on - low natural carbonation. A very nice beer to drink - a really mild, subtle smokey profile not at all typical of a smoked beer.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

A= one thing I love is a smoked porter... Lets do this thang! The pour is classic porter look. A nice black color with some deep amber highlights when held to the light. A nice two finger head on it that is a slightly off white color falls to about a half finger high and stays there throughout the drink. Decent lacing.

S= Pretty pungent. There is a really beautiful smoke smell wafting from this glass. Not really the common bonfire smoke you get a lot of times which I love but more of a nice mellow smoke odor. The porter underneath the smoke is just as beautiful. Nice roast and chocolate to it. Excellent smell.

T= The taste is also wonderful. The smoke seems to be really controled. This isn't a smoke beer where the smoke dominates but one where the smoke sort of plays with the porter flavors and just jumps in through out the taste to say whats up from time to time. Really well balanced. The roast and chocolate from the porter is delicous.

M= Smooth. Luxury. This beer feels great. A nice balance between stout and pale ale.

D= Great brew. I love smoked porters to death. Porters are my favorite and when they get smoked it's awesome. This beer didn't let down. Delicous and complex without too much smoke in it. Seek this out.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap in a stange at Stone Brewery.

Appearance: Dark coffee color, very small head (wonder what the head looks like out of a bottle) with some delicate lacing. The head leaves a collar that remains over the course of the beer.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, cigars. 3 distinct and abrupt smells, working well together.

Taste: A very strong porter; they definitely don't mess around at Stone Brewery. A smokey oak flavor up front, and it is easy to taste the alcohol. The middle and end are a bomb of malt and hops, with some vanilla and caramel flavorings. The end leaves with a slight smokey chocolate aftertaste residue.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a very full body, but still fairly smooth. There is a definite bite to this porter, like it wants to fight your tongue.

Drinkability: The richness of the porter will definitely impede the speed of consumption, although the fact that it is a thick, chewy, tasty brew more than makes up for that fact.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a kick-ass and kick-your-ass porter.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.