Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,990 | Reviews: 1,803
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a 22oz. mug, a dark brown opaque color with hints of red. A light brown head forms, that laces slowly down the mug. Smoky, chocolate, and coffee aromas come through witha touch of spicy hoppiness at teh end of each scent. The taste is very, very, very good. The sweet taste of chocolate, with hints of coffee, then followed by the smoky flavor that finishes each taste. In the mouth it starts medium bodied, but it becomes fuller towards the back of the palate. This an excellent beer, a nice beer to just sit down and relax with and just sip.

Excellent Porter.
One of the best.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Was lucky enough to spot this beer on draft at the Billy Goat in Mt. Shasta.

Wow! I have had this in the bottle, and was pleased, but on tap it hits another level.

When it got set down in front of me, I thought it was a stout. Super black color, with a perfect head on it.

Beer has a very robust malty backbone, with that perfect balance of smoke and deep dark roasted flavors. Often I try smoked beers that go overboard with ths smoking... not here. The balance is excellent. There is also enough hops there to make me happy, but they certainly are secondary.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

What can I say? I liked this beer. All 4.5 scores. It was my last bottle from my trip to Ohio and I savored it.

It is a rich dark brown and with a vigorous pour, the head looks like a malted milk shake.

Smell is milk chocolate, malt, coffee. Nothing over powering and nicely integrated. Smooth.

It tasted like an alcoholic version of a chocolate milk shake. Not some frou-frou "chocolate liquer," and downright good.

Mouthfeel was medium thick. I knew I was drinking a substantial beer!

Drinkability is great. If I had more, I would have another, and at 5.9% ABV, another wouldn't hurt!

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours nicely with a full head and a dark amber body. The head retains itself very well throughout the beer. Leaving nice trails down the glass.

Sweet chocolaty smells rise from this beer accompanied by smokey notes.

Smokey coffee and chocolate tastes make this beer very enjoyable another taste of something I can't quite put my finger on maybe a little bit of molasses.

A nice smooth light body makes this beer go down very easy.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I am early in my journey of fine craft beers and this is my first Smoked Porter. The appearance is what I expected it to be, dark and rich. The smell was a bit of a surprise as it was a little more floral than I expected, which I liked. The taste was great with no bitter bite or tongue swabbing after taste. Overall, I think this is a very good beer that I would recommend to someone who is scared of trying a porter for the first time.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is dark black with a three fingers of head some lacing on the glass.

The smell is a smokey hop flavor with some nice salty bitterness giving the aroma a bit of a pepper feel.

The taste was quite something as well. A bit more mellow then some Stone beers but still quite flavor full. The pepper flavor comes on nicely without being too harsh. In the mix is a good malty flavor as that gives the beer some toasty flavor as well.

The feel is feel of this beer is quite mellow with a nice medium body. Is pretty easy drinking an is one of the easier Stone beers to try for first timers new to Stone brews.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours dark mahogany, clear with just a little translucency, and a nice creamy head. Dissipates to a fine layer of foam, leaving good lacing on the glass.

Aromas of dark malt, vanilla, and chocolate milk.

Tastes follow the nose, this has dark malt, sweet vanilla, chocolate milk as well as some coffee and toffee, with some toast. Very complex and interesting.

Mouthfeel is light, and carbonation is prickly. Very refreshing.

This is an interesting, light, yet complexly flavored porter. A beer that is more about the taste than the alcohol. Very sessionable.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a very dark brown, nearly black color. Looked like liquid molasses, topped by a layer of creamy tan foam. The aroma has soft dark toffee notes with some sweet brown sugar. The taste is bitter with touches of roasted smoke. The smoke in this beer is really subdued and pleasant unlike the morning after campfire I was expecting. Creamy and roasted body which is generally smooth and solid. An assertive porter with some nice subtle enhancements. Very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

My first Stone Ale and well worth the wait it's taken to try one.

Apperarance: Black with a very full and very lingering head. If looks could kill, this beer would be on death row right about now.

smell: Chocolate first and foremost. There is also just the slightest hint of smoke to be found.

taste: Again I'm getting chocolate above anything else, but the coffee undertones are still there in force and the smoky aspect.... not too strong not too faint, just about perfect.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and the smoke seems to be more noticable than in the taste alone or the smell. Still not overpowering by any means, but more assertive and ready to scare off all those "yellow fizzy" beer drinkers.

drinkability: Could see myself very easily having a couple bombers back to back of this majestic brew. Can only speak for myself, but it lives up to any hype it's been given and then some.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

...so I was looking for an imperial stout at my local store... The store was out... Hmm... I never tried the stoned smoked porter, what the heck.

WOW!!!!

I'm drinking this too fast to review! ...And my my my, this has become a favorite of mine....

It pours dark brown almost black from the 22oz bomber, leaving some carmel colored foam. It dissipates, leaving a ring which laces on the glass quite a bit. Small foamy islands float about the top.

it smells nice and roasty and malty and smokey with lots of sweet something. Molassis? ...not sure, but it smells yummy.

Taste is very nice and rich. Nice and malty and smokey and robust. It has a complex sweetness that just hits the spot.

Mouthfeel is creamy. The robust sweet taste plays into some coarseness at the beginning of the drink, which turns into a velvet blanket. It is really good!

Needless to say this has a very rich, robust body. The finish is a sweet dissipation in fizz, followed by a slight bitter whap. Unfortunately there is a slight aftertaste, but the next sip takes care of that.

I recommend trying this if you are into rich dark beers, or want to experiment with a fine porter with a smokey twist. If you like to stick with the macro brewerie's light varietes - beware - this will smack your senses silly with rich wonderful flavors.

Also note - if you find it in a store, and are considering it - BUY ONE! They are hard to come by. yes, $5 can be considered a lot to lay down for one big beer, but it is a very worthwhile purchase for both your enjoyment and for the support it provides to our fine American hand crafted breweries.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a very nice deep brown/black color with some very nice head and good lacing. Excellent scent, deep and dark with nice coffee undertones and a great smoked aroma. Excellent flavor as well, with the smokiness really coming through but not overpowering the deep malt and coffee porter flavors. Went down very well, and although I don't know if I could have many of these at one setting because of the intense flavors, it was a wonderful brew.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

a yummy Porter! I'm not a big fan of Porters or Stouts but this is a great beer! i prefer their regular one over their Smoked Porter.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours witha large tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving a ton of lacing. A beautiful dark brown with a ruby tint, slight bit of chill haze.

Nice hop bouquet, lots of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke.

Tastes of roasted and chocolate malts, lots of piney hops, big hop profile, smokey undertones, and finishes with a nice bitter hoppiness.

Good carbonation and medium to heavy body.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one into a Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass. The body is dark, like a storm cloud on a moonless night. The head is creamy tan and inviting.

The aroma is dominated by roasted barely malt simmering in high-end coffee. I'm also picking up some not so subtle dark chocolate notes along with wisps of BBQ smoke. Close your eyes, employ a little imagination and your sitting by a campfire, chowing down on s'mores.

This brew has a uncomplicated roasty mocha flavor to it, and trailing along on the back end comes a pretty decent hop bite for a porter.

The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with not much carbonation--which, considering the style, is perfect.

Overall this is a great porter, and it won't be my last.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Appears an almost completely lightless black, the tiniest amount escapes through when held up to light. One finger of white head turns into a relatively thick cap. A good looking glass.

Smells of smoked wood in front of typical porter smells of chocolate, caramel, sweet roasted coffee.

Tastes very good as well, the smoke isn't overpowering but definitely present to compliment the chocolate, cream, and toffee possibly?

Thin bodied and med to high carbonated, this is the right mix as a flat smoked porter would simply not work.

As for drinkability, I'll just say I won't have any issues finishing the bomber. A very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Had on tap at Bobbique in Patchogue, New York. Served in a pint glass.

I've reviewed the bottle version of this but I have yet to drink the tap version. The bottle of Stone Smoked Porter was one of my early favorites so I'm looking forward to this guy.

Look: very dark for a porter, almost black except some deep brown highlights when held to the light. The head is slightly off white. A bit of carbonation is visible but not a whole lot. Looks very good.

Smell: a bit of smoky malt but despite the name, not as smoky as one would think. Dark, roasted malt dominates with some dark chocolate, black coffee, and a bit of dark caramel is found in the nose. I'm struggling to find any hoppiness but that's perfectly fine by me. Very good.

Taste: follows the nose well. A bit of smoky malt but its very subdued. Black coffee, dark chocolate, dark caramel and those typical dark malt flavors permeate through powerfully with hints of hops. Absolutely delicious.

Feel: thick and creamy. Very full bodied for a porter and I love it. Great mouthfeel.

Drink: could very well drink this pint after pint. Great drinkability.

Overall, I haven't had this in a long, long time so I am glad I saw it on tap and had a chance to retry it. I remember absolutely loving this beer and it was one of the beers that got me passionate about craft beer. I am glad that my palate still appreciates this and that I was right about this one back in the day. This porter is incredibly flavorful and puts many stouts to shame in terms of flavor.

I still recommend this one whole heartedly. Give this one a go if you can! Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark, dark brown with ruby edges. Fluffy & loose 1" khaki colored head. Thick, beautiful lacing.

Scent is billowing over with milk chocolate, milk chocolate & milk chocolate. Vanilla & dark roasted malts a fastened-in quite nicely. Everything about this bouquet screams sweet & creamy.

All the scents mentioned above follow through in the flavor very accurately. A beautifully balanced hop presence counterweighs the chocolate & roasted malt flavors beautifully. There's also a splendid bitterness the hops provide that give it a full spectrum tasting experience; Creamy, sweet, dry & somewhat bitter. There is a sneaky smoky flavor that commingles with the hops making it camouflaged. I'd be hard pressed to think this was a smoked porter if it wasn't stated on the bottle.

Mouthfeel is delectable. How many times have I used the adjective 'creamy'? Well, I'll use it again for the mouthfeel. Carbonation is comprised of larger feeling bubbles and is on the tamer side of kinetic. A somewhat dry finish makes the long lingering roasted malts fade rather poetically.

Drinkability is top-notch. I'm going to finish the rest of this bomber sitting fireside in my living room right now.

Overall a stellar porter which I regret not having tried much sooner. This beer has everything for me. This is a creamy (there's that adjective again!) version of an Edmund Fitzgerald and then some - utterly fantastic!

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

It poured into the glass a very dark brown/red in color. The head was a creamy light chocolate in color and very thick. And the lace seemed to last to the end of the glass. The aroma is deep malt, lightly smoked, caramel, and even a hint of coffee and elements of chocolate. The taste is of a sweet malt, caramel hints of coffee/chocolate and smoke. It is nicely hopped, and I really enjoyed the smoke qualities in this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

From tap into Pint Glass.

I've had this great brew, a few times before but have not had a chance to review it.

Poured very dark brown with a slight reddish tint. There was a thin head that stuck around for moderate lacing.

With a Smoked Smell of the roasted caramel malts, this is what I would expect a smoked porter to smell like.

A really good taste with moderate carbonation. Came through Dry in the front, with smokey/woody undertones in the middle to back. Nice hop to malt balance.

Thank you Stone...One of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

Thank you Stone...

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

From recently discovered notes: Dark chocolate brown, with scarlet edges when held up to the light. The head is thick and khaki coloured, it lasts for a while and leaves some decent lacing on my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. The aroma is of chocolate and caramel malts, roasted malts, starbucks coffee, and a bit of smoke. The taste is malty up front with some lovely chocolate and coffee notes in the middle. The smoke is subtle compared to other smoke beers, but it is very enjoyable as well. The mouthfeel is very creamy and s-m-o-o-t-h and the drinkability is good as well. Another awesome, but subdued, stone brew!

Bomber poured into Boulevard tulip

A - rich, dark amber (only seen when held to the light). head is off-white, two fingers, dissipating quickly with great lacing.

S - smoke, roasted malt, caramel

T - smooth, sweet malt, smoke finish but not overpowering. coffee, bitterness, slight hops on the tongue

M - light bodied, round, effervescent.

O- I love this beer. way too easy to drink one or twelve of these. As soon as the smoke element emerges in the finish, it's so tempting to go back and refuel the palate again and again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

This is a great porter. but it's not smoky. at all. other than the misleading label, this is an outstanding beverage.
If you are looking for something smoky, something with serious rauch appeal, grab a a rogue smoke ale, or an alaskan smoked porter, but not this.
Pours almost black, a tinge of amber can be seen around the edges when holding it to the light, lets you know it's not quite a stout.
the smell is fantastic, chocolately, grains, caramel. almost some smoke hiding in there somewhere.
It tastes just like it smells, rich and velvetey.
also, a buck or two cheaper than most stone beers, so a great bargain.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

At first this beer seems a little light for a Smoked Porter or for being Stone, but it's more subtle than that. A thick brown-biege head floats for a while over top of a brown but not quite black body with ruby highlights. The nose has a sharp spicy hop, not fruit but lots of malt mingled. Definately lighter than a stout but still a almost chew, underattenuated mouthfeel--sweet and grainy. Chococlate and black licorice in the taste, sweet malt through, and then, hey, isn't this supposed to be a SMOKED porter, and there it is as the glass pulls away, the smoke wafts up through your mouth and nose. Light, clean, but assertive all at the same time and not overwhelming in any way. One of the best blended smoked tastes ever in a beer. Let it warm up a bit and then drink fast. Best part was in the middle between cold and a long sitting warm.

BA Reflection: Looking at other reviews, I seem to be on the high end compared to everyone else. I love Stone and that's part of it. I think they just fit who I am. But beyond that this is a beer to be appreciated for the subtle character of the smoke. It's not a rauchbier and it's not over the top, especially by Stone's standards, and I think some see that as a weakness. When I first had this beer five years ago, I rated it even higher--in part because I was younger in my tasting and it's a really nice, complex beer that's not overwhelming or an extreme beer. On draft at RFD, it was also open and accented it's strength. Love this beer and will drink more whenever I get a chance.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

What a great beer! Stone is two for two so far in my ratings. This one poured a dark brown, almost black with a tan creamy head. Strong aromas were sweet, smoked (duh) malts, and No. MN peat bog. Taste was dominated by smoky roasty malts. I was reminded of beef jerky. Despite the obvious smokiness, this beer was wonderfully balanced by a bitter finisth. Huge mouthfeel. I would buy this by the case.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.