Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
2.34/5  rDev -41.6%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself.

2.41/5  rDev -39.9%

This is the only product I've sampled from one of my favorite breweries that I cannot stand. I've tried this on multiple occasions while visiting the stone brewery just to see if maybe my opinion would change, but it hasn't. The smoothness of the beer is it's best attribute. The smoky flavor is unappetizing and leaves me wanting to get anything else on the menu in my glass to overpower the flavor. Think I'm done trying to give this a chance and will just leave this off my list of beers I like.

2.43/5  rDev -39.4%

Original Rating Date:
September 25, 2008

Pours dark black with a nice, foamy brown head. Beautiful, steady, permanent lacing that lingers down the glass. Great looking beer in the glass. Smells of weak malts -- no smokiness, no chocolate, nothing else. Very disappointing aroma. Flavor is lots of chocolate, ironically not very smokey at all. Digging deeper there is some dark fruit there. There's a bit of a watery character to the beer as well. Unusually weak brew from Stone. Other reviews on this site rave, but I didn't come away with a great experience from this beer.

2.47/5  rDev -38.4%

Had this on tap at the First Street Draught House in town. Came out a very dark black with some ruby highlights on the edges. Nice creamy tan head on top. Left beautiful sip rings. Smoke is surprisingly absent in the nose. I was expecting a smoky, roasted scent, but in its place was just some cocoa tones with a sweet finish.

Very creamy body on this beer. Carbonation level was low. Smooth. No smoke in the flavor either. What makes this smoked? This tastes like a regular porter to me. Some light coffee bitterness, mild chocolate flavors, and roasted malts on the finish. Sorry, but this was boring when I expected something a little more original.

2.52/5  rDev -37.2%

2.53/5  rDev -36.9%

22 oz bomber poured into a dimpled mug

a-off brown color held up to light could see right through..little to no head at all

smell-slightly roasted malt, smoke smell was there but we will get to that in a minute. no hop aroma present

t-this is where the dissapointment came in..there was no "meat" to this porter...it was very watery and boring. with the smoke smell in the nose i could not figure out where it was in the taste...slightly roasted malt taste but overall boring

note--maybe i got an off bottle but i shared it with a pal and we both had the same look on our face upon tasting..stone is a great brewery and i have to say that this is the only beer ive have had by them i was not happy with..

drinkablitly--i literally could drink this beer all night because of the consistency and abv but not by choice

2.64/5  rDev -34.2%

Big fan of porters, and for the price thought this looked worth trying. Won't break this down much, just didn't like it. If I weren't looking at the bottle I wouldn't have guessed smoked at all. More hoppy than expected, dominated any nuance this beer might have had, and I never got the smoked taste I was hoping for. Had this with smoked ribs as many suggested, big disappointment, dumped it and opened a St. Arnolds. Pluses? Rich dark color.

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%

1 pt 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and good retention. The head colour is a slight tan. Colour is a solid black. It's generally appealing.

Sm: Slight rauchbier smoke, caramelized malt, a bit of roast, and light bacon. A mild strength aroma.

T: Light roast, some smoke, caramelized malt, and a bit of bacon. A bit simple compared to expectations. It's well balanced, though. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours. It's a touch too thick.

Dr: Very drinkable for a smoked beer, but a bit too malty. It's got an average ABV and a high price. I don't think I'd have it again.

2.66/5  rDev -33.7%

22 from BevMo

A - Pours brown-black body with a little dark chocolate head, which dissipates fast.

S - Mocha, coffee, almonds, and lt alcohol.

T - Dark coffee and pear.

M - Slightly bitter, medium carbonation.

D - Where's the smoke? Will not by again.

2.71/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

2.71/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/01/08

Pours very dark brown/black with generous 3 finger light tan head. The head leaves some nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is smoky and slightly chocolatey.

The taste leaves much to be desired. I would say the smokiness overpowers everything, but there's hardly any smoke flavor there and I can't even detect any other flavors. The taste is very empty, very lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation. Bitter. This one is hard to drink, mainly due to the poor (lack of) taste.

I had high hopes for this beer but was quite disappointed.

2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

A - poured with 5 inches of brown head and one and a half of beer. dark brown/black. clear. way too much foam

S - tough to tell at first because it is mostly head, as i wait for the head to clear and pour more in my glass i get a nice smokey, chocolate aroma.

T - Smokey/chocolate flavors much like the aroma

M - Nice smooth mouthfeel, though a bit tingly from the carbonation/bubbles

D - after fighting through the foam/waiting for it to clear, fairly drinkable, feels quite nice on the back of my tongue and throat. But way too much foam

Overall, I think I got a messed up batch, head/carbonation was out of control. I found the Smell and Taste to lack complexity.

*came back to edit my review because I poured the other half of my beer in the glass thinking maybe my pouring was the problem but it over foamed again, knocks down the drinkablilty, cant drink foam right?

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.