Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,993 | Reviews: 1,804
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

From tap into Pint Glass.

I've had this great brew, a few times before but have not had a chance to review it.

Poured very dark brown with a slight reddish tint. There was a thin head that stuck around for moderate lacing.

With a Smoked Smell of the roasted caramel malts, this is what I would expect a smoked porter to smell like.

A really good taste with moderate carbonation. Came through Dry in the front, with smokey/woody undertones in the middle to back. Nice hop to malt balance.

Thank you Stone...One of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

Thank you Stone...

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Blue Palms here in LA always has great stuff on cask. I have had this many times in the bottle and a couple of time on tap but in the cask it is outstanding.

The smokiness comes through in the nose, the mouth and the throat.

Thick bold layers of chocolate and burnt almonds grace the palate.

In a bottle it can be too carbonated and lively on the tongue to enjoy all of the flavors but from the cask it is fantastic.

It is a mouth full, so I wasn't craving a second pint - but I could use one right now.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Wow am I glad I bought this. Like all stone products, this beer looked awesome. The head wasn't as menacing as, say, Arrogant Bastard, but it left an excellent lace nonetheless. The back of the bottle sums it up nicely..."Amazingly rich, dark, and delicious..."

3.57/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Dark, dark brown. 1/2 inch cream-colored head. 100% opaque.

S - Nutty aromas initially. Strong scent of roasted malt with hints of coffee. Notes of hops and a little spice, too. Very nice, sweet.

T - Tastes a little like a cherry smoked piece of beef. Heavy chocolate and malt flavors. Not too much alcohol--sweet. A little coffee flavor too. Quite complex.

M - A little thin, but not bad. Not as good as the smell and the taste.

D - I'm drinking the 1pint&6oz bottle, which is the perfect amount of this beer. Wouldn't want anymore than that. It goes down nicely on its own and even better with a quality piece of chocolate.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

22 Ounce poured twice into a pint glass.

A: Very dark, when held up to light it had maybe a slight dark amber color. The head disappeared quickly and there was no head to speak of. Did I mention stout-like darkness?

S: Smelled great, chocolate and coffee, just like I love.

T: I liked it, but not as strong as I thought. I loved the smoked taste. There was the heavy presence of chocolate and mild coffee, but I was surprised that it didn't have the alcohol that I expected from Stone. I loved the smokey aftertaste which made up for the lack of bite that I thought was going to be there.

M: I love the Stone beers and I usually associate them with "strong" beers, but this wasn't as heavy as their other beers. Not acidic, which I like, not to many alcohol tones.

D: I actually believe this could be a beer that I would have a few of at say,,,, a cookout, but the price tag is steep to be a session beer. I payed $4.99 for the 22 OZ, so at most I would have two in one sitting.

bottom line: Its better than average, great aftertaste, needs more alcohol/hop presence, but overall I enjoyed it despite the price.

2.71/5  rDev -32.3%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Very dark, nice head, leaves some lacing

S - Rich malty, very slight sense of smoke

T - Really chocolaty taste with a nice coffee taste to it. I don't really get the smoked taste except for a little on the after taste

M - Extremely smooth, goes down easy

O - A great porter in my opinion, not really a smoked porter, but still very good

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow! Big!

Two words that come to mind while drinking this beer...

This stuff poured out nearly completely black with a thick head. There must have been some residue in my glass because it vanished pretty quickly. The head was completely gone at some point during the half hour I spent drinking this beer.

The nose hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Chocolate and smoke with a touch of sweet. The smoke was almost like a good single malt scotch.

The first sip was amazing. The complexities of malt and chocolate and smoke and coffee hit you all at once and then somehow they order themselves. The taste is complex and wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable. It only gets better as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. This beer has substance. Hard to believe it is made with malt, barley, water, and yeast only. How come the Macros can't do this with all the ingredients they use?

I only rated the drinkability down on this because I don't think I could drink more than one every once in a while, but when I am in the mood for a smoked porter, I will reach for this one first. Wow!

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Pours black leaving some white head that didn't really last long

S: Slight a bit of smoke but not what I would have expected, some malty tones.

T: Some coffee flavor in there, smoke comes through a bit more as it warms but still lacking in my opinion. Has an almost sweet after taste.

M: Medium body with carbonation

D: Not bad but wouldn't be the first beer I reached for when choosing a porter. Lower 5.9% alcohol makes it easy to drink

3.4/5  rDev -15%

If you are expecting the smokiness of a rauchbier you will be disappointed. This is your basic porter, with a hint of smokiness. The smokiness is there, but it is quite subdued.

It was tasty, and I'd certainly drink it again, but it was neither my favorite porter nor a particularly smoky beer.

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Pour: Poured completely black even when held up to the light. Heavy mocha head poured tight and foamy then receded slowly. Some light sticky lines of lacing around the glass to reminisce.

Smell: Strong roasted malts, dark chocolate notes with faint ground coffee beans. Very faint smoke notes, almost disappointing. Burnt brown sugar sweetness, leathery, toasted nuts, faint liquorice, some pepperiness.

Taste: Nice roasted malt bitterness, Strong chocolate chaser, barely any smoke, some creamy traces, woody, light treacle notes, some oatiness, light sweet nutty notes.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy with medium body. Satisfies the front of the tongue and top of the palate the most.

Overall - A pretty good porter although not as full bodied as I was expecting - I would have preferred a bit more of a smoke flavor as well. In fact this was more like a chocolate stout than a smoked one. Still, a very good beer, and a safe purchase.

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The first porter I have truly loved. I know I can always count on Stone.

A: Sexy would be the right word. Beautiful dark, rich brown--almost black. Big frothy head.

S: Roasty malt and smoke. Mild hops to balance. Incredible aromas.

T&M: Bitter, smokey, chocolatey, roasty. Alcohol is perfectly hidden.

D: I can't give a smoked beer a 5 on drinkability because I find the smoky flavors don't quite go down smoothly enough, but this is about as good as it gets.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Deep and dark with a rich creamy head. Keeps a nice cap throughout.

S - Chocolate, coffee, a hint of hops.

T - Malts, bitter chocolate, and of course coffee. A slight touch of smoke.

M - Medium and smooth. Nice creaminess.

D - For such a dark one I could keep going with this.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

A: Deep brown, nice head and head retention

S: Def smell the smoked essence of it, perhaps over a caramel note.

T: Nice balance between hops and malts, with slight hop bitterness of piney notes. Can taste the touch of smokiness at the finish.

M: Ok, not as smooth as I would have hoped, somewhat coats the mouth, medium body.

D: I enjoyed the subtle smokiness that came through, would pair nice with a gouda.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

P: pours a dark brown black with a nice 1 finger head that leaves decent lacing.

S: smoke, malt, and hops

T: awesome smokey maltyness up front and the hop note tingles the back of the palate.

M: goes down smooth with the smoke very drink able

O: overall good porter, love the smoke notes. would be great at a bbq

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a very dark brown with an off-white, latte colored head. Good thickness on the head and hangs around a while before receding to a nice surface film and lacing around the edges. The name is in the smell and taste, up front you get the smoky malt aroma along with a hint of citrus and roasted nuts. In the taste you get more heavy malt flavor, along with chocolate and smidge of hop bitterness. Nice texture in the mouth, with the right amount of carbonation and a slight aftertaste of those smoky/roasted grains. Definitely the kind of porter you could have several of with ease.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Not too bad, but was expecting a little bit more of a kick. The waiter at restaurant didn't know too much about beer and was just throwing Stone beers around and not being to helpful in making a selection. I stuck to it and just drank it.
A: Dark with light being able to sneak in.
S: Dark coffee, strong musky, and cigar.
T: Cigar, woody, charcol, flat whiskey, black licorice.
M: Too musky, and charcoal for m
O: Something I'd like to try again. The vanilla one is amazing.

4.32/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark at first sight with a light brown head. A robust feel at the first sip followed by a smile. There is relaxation while making this brew. There is no right or wrong here, as the master brewer was not in a hurry I feel. There is a sense of hops, but not too much. The word caramel comes to my mind, I feel for the color but there is a bit of sweetness that compliments the hops. I know there is a chocolatyness to this - yet I feel it, but cannot describe it. The smoke though is obvious, this I can describe, do not worry there is no alarm to this fire. The sugars and the bitters blend togeather, I cannot distinguish the blacks from whites - a fine grey has been created. A taste from one of the gods I would guess, this taste is bliss....
I give this a 4.25 w/ a margin of .1
The senses are all sharing their emotions at this time.

3.96/5  rDev -1%

Poured out of a 22oz bomber into a St. Bernardus glass.

A - Very dark, almost black. I see no light coming through this one. Has a decent sized tan head on top.

S - I smell nothing. Maybe a hint of smokiness, but nothing really all that noticable.

T - Wow. This stuff is fantastic. Tastes basically like a "big" porter. I don't really detect huge amounts of "smokiness" (similar to the smell), but it's a big flavor with coffee and some bitter chocolate flavor. There seems to be some hops at the end of the sip to balance out all of the malts.

M - I'd say it's medium to full-bodied. It's very easy to drink, but at the same time it is a big beer. Fills the mouth, yet there seems to be very little carbonation.

I'd give this second place in the porter department only to Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. Though it may be different in style, it is still extremely well done and absolutely worth seeking out if you're into porters.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a very dark brown that lets almost no light through. Foam head is a light brown that dissipates and clears very quickly. Smell is thick malty, sweet, and roasty. Definitely smokey hints as well. Taste is thick and sweet. Flavors blend together very well and makes for a very smooth and drinkable taste. Medium carbonation and the smooth mix of flavors gives this beer an excellent body and make it extremely drinkable. Overall a very delicious beer. Very very solid, but nothing extraordinary.

Cheers!

4/5  rDev 0%

A: Low carb, not very much head, nice brown. 3.7

S: meaty, smoky, brown notes.

T: very light porter, with a smokey after taste and a slight aftershock hoppyness

M: low carb on the tongue hold, smooth going down.

O: not a bad porter, drinkable and smooth, very light for a smoky beer. I'd give it a 4

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

I was excited when I poured this one. Just watching it in its dark aura with a light brown head. It had a chocolate Malay sweet smell. Chocolate and Smokey flavors filled my palate as it went down very smooth. It's low alcohol made this beer very drinkable.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%

Insanely black pour with the slightest mohagony shades fading on the edges of the tulip. The head is tan, gooey, and retains flawlessly. Definitely representing Stone quality before I can take my first sip.

Aromas are light. A little malt, bean, and smokiness come to mind.

Deep sensations of dark cocoa/chocolate and light coffee bean to the palate. The porter finishes with more of a bitter high-note and hair of that smokiness trailing. The creamy, delicious texture pairs well with the flavorful personality of the Smoked Porter.

The dancing carbonation paired with the brews creamy-smooth feel and intense flavor essentially block dopamine receptors in your brain.

I thought it would make for a nice dessert brew or paired with exotic chocolates.

Hail Stone Brew!

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an imperial pint glass (two pours)

A: Deep coal black with a 3-finger, sturdy tan head and moderate lacing. Same head for the second pour (remainder was refrigerated, open for about 30 minutes from opening to second pour)

S: More of a burnt coffee than "smoked" with hints of chocolate and plum. Richly malty and pleasing with minimal hops coming through.

T: Presented as a fairly typical porter on the front end, but the smokiness came on strong in the after-taste. Malty without being sweet, despite the lack of any noticable hops. The smoke gave a very dry, woody finish that lingered long on the tongue. Lighter bodied than the intense aroma would have suggested.

M: The smokiness and a nice level of carbonation gives the tongue a dry tingle. Very smooth and refreshing for a porter. Not at all syrupy.

O: I'm glad I gave this a try. It's not necessarily something I'd work into a regular rotation, but I could definitely see stocking a couple more bombers for when the mood strikes. The clerk where I bought it "warned" about the smokiness, but I didn't find it that over-powering at all -- certainly not enough to be off-putting. It fell right in the range I'd expect from a self-proclaimed "smoked porter." Another fine product from Stone, reasonably priced a $4.99 for a bomber.

2.43/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Terrible, just so bad. I had three sips and dumped it down the drain. One of the few beers I've had to get rid of. Stone is an over-hyped brewery and most of what they make are IPAs and pale ales that all taste the same. Avoid it if you can.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.