Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Porter

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Reviews: 1,800 | Ratings: 4,138
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

For a Stone beer it was not what I was expecting, however for a porter it was very good, however it was really nothing special. It was overall to style, but the smoke flavor was lacking and I just expected more from a beer made by Stone. I would definately recommend this to a porter lover, however I would not suggest this to a person that just liked beer. I enjoy the flag porter, or Samuel Smith's porter more, even if they are different types of porters.
Good job to Stone, but again not a big outlandish beer that I would expect from Stone.

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a reddish black with lots of bubbles witha carmamel head. Nose is of smoke and molasses. Taste is of faint smoke, malt, caramel, all with a faint background of char. This beer is surprisingly light on the palate. Excellent balance and great drinkability-one of my favorites in this category.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A: pours dark almost black with faint red light showing through with light brown head and decent lacing

S: smells of deep smokey mals, strong coffee and fruity aromas

T: righ full bodies with deep notes of strong coffee, sweet smokey malts and upper notes of sweet fruity flavors

M: thick and smooth with light carbonation

D: a good sipping beer definatly not a chugger

2.84/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

22 oz bomber, poured into tulip glass. Bottled 10/19/15, Enjoy by 02/16/15.

L - Pours dark, mahogany, almost plum skin color. Thick white/off-white head that dissipates slow, leaves slight lacing.

S - Ash, smoke, leather, burnt chocolate/coffee.

T - Roasted/burnt malts, coffee, a very woody aftertaste that's probably the "smoked" aspect. Not getting any fruit or maltiness to balance out the strong bitter bite this has throughout.

F - Smooth and creamy, very soft carbonation. The intense flavor notes clash with the smoothness.

O - For my third-ever porter, I probably shouldn't have thought of "smoked" as universally appealing as "smoked ham" or "smoked almonds." "Smoked" beer is a bit too strong, woody, almost like drinking the contents of a chimney. But, my first IPA was a "bitter" experience and I'm guessing I'll need to acquire this taste, let it sit longer at room temperature, or stick to stouts.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I love Stone, and have yet to have anything of theirs that I didn't like.
This beer is one of them. I certainly give this beer high praise and I think rightly so. It pours well and comes out a nice deep dark redish black.

The smell intially is a little too subtle but letting it breath reveals malty aromas with a bit of smoked wood and some wonderful hops.

Truth is I was a little disappointed in the seeming lack of smoked flavor. I have had some other smoked brews that lend more towards tasting the wood. However, the beer was increadibly fresh and the hoppy finish was perfectly bitter sweet.

The mouth feel was light with out too much carbonation and the beer goes down well. Perhaps a bit a on the heavy side but during a cold winter day I could certainly drink a couple of these. Try it out. Another good beer from Stone for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

From tap into Pint Glass.

I've had this great brew, a few times before but have not had a chance to review it.

Poured very dark brown with a slight reddish tint. There was a thin head that stuck around for moderate lacing.

With a Smoked Smell of the roasted caramel malts, this is what I would expect a smoked porter to smell like.

A really good taste with moderate carbonation. Came through Dry in the front, with smokey/woody undertones in the middle to back. Nice hop to malt balance.

Thank you Stone...One of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

Thank you Stone...

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Blue Palms here in LA always has great stuff on cask. I have had this many times in the bottle and a couple of time on tap but in the cask it is outstanding.

The smokiness comes through in the nose, the mouth and the throat.

Thick bold layers of chocolate and burnt almonds grace the palate.

In a bottle it can be too carbonated and lively on the tongue to enjoy all of the flavors but from the cask it is fantastic.

It is a mouth full, so I wasn't craving a second pint - but I could use one right now.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow am I glad I bought this. Like all stone products, this beer looked awesome. The head wasn't as menacing as, say, Arrogant Bastard, but it left an excellent lace nonetheless. The back of the bottle sums it up nicely..."Amazingly rich, dark, and delicious..."

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Dark, dark brown. 1/2 inch cream-colored head. 100% opaque.

S - Nutty aromas initially. Strong scent of roasted malt with hints of coffee. Notes of hops and a little spice, too. Very nice, sweet.

T - Tastes a little like a cherry smoked piece of beef. Heavy chocolate and malt flavors. Not too much alcohol--sweet. A little coffee flavor too. Quite complex.

M - A little thin, but not bad. Not as good as the smell and the taste.

D - I'm drinking the 1pint&6oz bottle, which is the perfect amount of this beer. Wouldn't want anymore than that. It goes down nicely on its own and even better with a quality piece of chocolate.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

22 Ounce poured twice into a pint glass.

A: Very dark, when held up to light it had maybe a slight dark amber color. The head disappeared quickly and there was no head to speak of. Did I mention stout-like darkness?

S: Smelled great, chocolate and coffee, just like I love.

T: I liked it, but not as strong as I thought. I loved the smoked taste. There was the heavy presence of chocolate and mild coffee, but I was surprised that it didn't have the alcohol that I expected from Stone. I loved the smokey aftertaste which made up for the lack of bite that I thought was going to be there.

M: I love the Stone beers and I usually associate them with "strong" beers, but this wasn't as heavy as their other beers. Not acidic, which I like, not to many alcohol tones.

D: I actually believe this could be a beer that I would have a few of at say,,,, a cookout, but the price tag is steep to be a session beer. I payed $4.99 for the 22 OZ, so at most I would have two in one sitting.

bottom line: Its better than average, great aftertaste, needs more alcohol/hop presence, but overall I enjoyed it despite the price.

2.71/5  rDev -32.6%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Very dark, nice head, leaves some lacing

S - Rich malty, very slight sense of smoke

T - Really chocolaty taste with a nice coffee taste to it. I don't really get the smoked taste except for a little on the after taste

M - Extremely smooth, goes down easy

O - A great porter in my opinion, not really a smoked porter, but still very good

4.42/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow! Big!

Two words that come to mind while drinking this beer...

This stuff poured out nearly completely black with a thick head. There must have been some residue in my glass because it vanished pretty quickly. The head was completely gone at some point during the half hour I spent drinking this beer.

The nose hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Chocolate and smoke with a touch of sweet. The smoke was almost like a good single malt scotch.

The first sip was amazing. The complexities of malt and chocolate and smoke and coffee hit you all at once and then somehow they order themselves. The taste is complex and wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable. It only gets better as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. This beer has substance. Hard to believe it is made with malt, barley, water, and yeast only. How come the Macros can't do this with all the ingredients they use?

I only rated the drinkability down on this because I don't think I could drink more than one every once in a while, but when I am in the mood for a smoked porter, I will reach for this one first. Wow!

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Pours black leaving some white head that didn't really last long

S: Slight a bit of smoke but not what I would have expected, some malty tones.

T: Some coffee flavor in there, smoke comes through a bit more as it warms but still lacking in my opinion. Has an almost sweet after taste.

M: Medium body with carbonation

D: Not bad but wouldn't be the first beer I reached for when choosing a porter. Lower 5.9% alcohol makes it easy to drink

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

If you are expecting the smokiness of a rauchbier you will be disappointed. This is your basic porter, with a hint of smokiness. The smokiness is there, but it is quite subdued.

It was tasty, and I'd certainly drink it again, but it was neither my favorite porter nor a particularly smoky beer.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pour: Poured completely black even when held up to the light. Heavy mocha head poured tight and foamy then receded slowly. Some light sticky lines of lacing around the glass to reminisce.

Smell: Strong roasted malts, dark chocolate notes with faint ground coffee beans. Very faint smoke notes, almost disappointing. Burnt brown sugar sweetness, leathery, toasted nuts, faint liquorice, some pepperiness.

Taste: Nice roasted malt bitterness, Strong chocolate chaser, barely any smoke, some creamy traces, woody, light treacle notes, some oatiness, light sweet nutty notes.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy with medium body. Satisfies the front of the tongue and top of the palate the most.

Overall - A pretty good porter although not as full bodied as I was expecting - I would have preferred a bit more of a smoke flavor as well. In fact this was more like a chocolate stout than a smoked one. Still, a very good beer, and a safe purchase.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The first porter I have truly loved. I know I can always count on Stone.

A: Sexy would be the right word. Beautiful dark, rich brown--almost black. Big frothy head.

S: Roasty malt and smoke. Mild hops to balance. Incredible aromas.

T&M: Bitter, smokey, chocolatey, roasty. Alcohol is perfectly hidden.

D: I can't give a smoked beer a 5 on drinkability because I find the smoky flavors don't quite go down smoothly enough, but this is about as good as it gets.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Deep and dark with a rich creamy head. Keeps a nice cap throughout.

S - Chocolate, coffee, a hint of hops.

T - Malts, bitter chocolate, and of course coffee. A slight touch of smoke.

M - Medium and smooth. Nice creaminess.

D - For such a dark one I could keep going with this.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

A: Deep brown, nice head and head retention

S: Def smell the smoked essence of it, perhaps over a caramel note.

T: Nice balance between hops and malts, with slight hop bitterness of piney notes. Can taste the touch of smokiness at the finish.

M: Ok, not as smooth as I would have hoped, somewhat coats the mouth, medium body.

D: I enjoyed the subtle smokiness that came through, would pair nice with a gouda.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

P: pours a dark brown black with a nice 1 finger head that leaves decent lacing.

S: smoke, malt, and hops

T: awesome smokey maltyness up front and the hop note tingles the back of the palate.

M: goes down smooth with the smoke very drink able

O: overall good porter, love the smoke notes. would be great at a bbq

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours nearly jet black with a beautiful dense Carmel colored head having average retention and above average lacing.

I didn't catch much "smoke," but it's a ver nice American Porter. Feel is a little thin for a porter, but tastes quite agreeable. Slight chocolate presence. Hops just kick in at the very end and only faintly. No alcohol burn at all.

Could be a bit more robust....but I'd definitely drink it again. And will.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a very dark brown with an off-white, latte colored head. Good thickness on the head and hangs around a while before receding to a nice surface film and lacing around the edges. The name is in the smell and taste, up front you get the smoky malt aroma along with a hint of citrus and roasted nuts. In the taste you get more heavy malt flavor, along with chocolate and smidge of hop bitterness. Nice texture in the mouth, with the right amount of carbonation and a slight aftertaste of those smoky/roasted grains. Definitely the kind of porter you could have several of with ease.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Not too bad, but was expecting a little bit more of a kick. The waiter at restaurant didn't know too much about beer and was just throwing Stone beers around and not being to helpful in making a selection. I stuck to it and just drank it.
A: Dark with light being able to sneak in.
S: Dark coffee, strong musky, and cigar.
T: Cigar, woody, charcol, flat whiskey, black licorice.
M: Too musky, and charcoal for m
O: Something I'd like to try again. The vanilla one is amazing.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark at first sight with a light brown head. A robust feel at the first sip followed by a smile. There is relaxation while making this brew. There is no right or wrong here, as the master brewer was not in a hurry I feel. There is a sense of hops, but not too much. The word caramel comes to my mind, I feel for the color but there is a bit of sweetness that compliments the hops. I know there is a chocolatyness to this - yet I feel it, but cannot describe it. The smoke though is obvious, this I can describe, do not worry there is no alarm to this fire. The sugars and the bitters blend togeather, I cannot distinguish the blacks from whites - a fine grey has been created. A taste from one of the gods I would guess, this taste is bliss....
I give this a 4.25 w/ a margin of .1
The senses are all sharing their emotions at this time.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured out of a 22oz bomber into a St. Bernardus glass.

A - Very dark, almost black. I see no light coming through this one. Has a decent sized tan head on top.

S - I smell nothing. Maybe a hint of smokiness, but nothing really all that noticable.

T - Wow. This stuff is fantastic. Tastes basically like a "big" porter. I don't really detect huge amounts of "smokiness" (similar to the smell), but it's a big flavor with coffee and some bitter chocolate flavor. There seems to be some hops at the end of the sip to balance out all of the malts.

M - I'd say it's medium to full-bodied. It's very easy to drink, but at the same time it is a big beer. Fills the mouth, yet there seems to be very little carbonation.

I'd give this second place in the porter department only to Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. Though it may be different in style, it is still extremely well done and absolutely worth seeking out if you're into porters.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.