Join our email list →

Stone Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Porter | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,788 | Hads: 4,102
4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

This is the first beer I have had from Stone and its pretty damn good! It has a reddish black hue with a nice big head that fades a bit. I thought the smell was a bit lacking though, I expected more smokiness to come through. This beer has wonderful flavors: dark chocolate, burnt coffee, plenty of roasted malts, and a slight smokiness...which once again I was preparing myself for more of a pronouced smoke flavor but still do enjoy it. This has a pretty good mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. This beer is very drinkable and would love to pair it with food. Wish Stone would start to distribute in Iowa and even Minnesota. Awesome beer, Stone Rocks!!!

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

This is a great beer. I hadn't had it in a long time, but decided to have a short affair with it tonight. Poured out of the bottle a deep chocolate color, erring on the side of a reddish, black appearance. It foamed up with a beautiful tan head that lingered around .5-1 inch for half of the quaff. The smell reminded me of fresh caramel followed by a hint of smokiness. The taste was definitely smoky with a taste of bitterness reminiscent of dark chocolate. This bitter sweet character was carried through to the end of the swallow which left the palate with a pleasant, bittersweet aftertaste that makes a man not want to brush at night. The drinkability is good, but after more than one of these, you may find yourself searching for something that doesn't make chest hair grow quite as fast.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a deep tan head over a clear dark brown liquid, ruby highlights. Light wisps of smokiness mingle with roasted malt makes for a quite appetizing nose. A basketful of flavors follows: light chocolate, coffee, roasted grain bitterness and a good amount of hoppiness, then some latent smokiness appears with an undercurrent of butteriness. Finishes with a bitter note...the smoke flavor accompanies, not dominates this super quaffable Porter. All blends together in perfect harmony.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my stone pint glass...

A- Poured almost black with a slight red hue coming through the
bottom, had about a 2 finger frothy tan head that dissipates to about half a head with nice lacing...

S-Very sweet malts with some chocolate and some espresso, a bit smokey as well but very subtle on any smoke, maybe some molasses as well

T-Very sweet malts up front very bitter and balanced, has nice chocolate and espresso notes as well a nice smokey roasted nutty plum finish, lingering syrup as well...

M-Medium body high carbonation, the smoked part comes out alot in the mouth nice and bitter with chocolate

O-Decent porter, not as smokey as I would have hoped for but
good and cheap...no super wow factor here just a good brew...

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Has a three finger head with a tan color that lasts for awhile. The smell is faint with smoked coffee and dark chocolate. The first taste that hits my tongue is the taste of smoked oak and roasted bitter coffee. There is hints of dried fruit and little dark chocolate. Overall I'm disappointed with this porter. It's not by any means bad but there are a lot better porters out there.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a dark, ruby porter with excellent body and a solid, sweet smell. The hops are milder than other big porters that I've sampled, so the notes center less on black coffee and more on chocolate malt and stewed plum flavors. There is a dash of smoky flavor in the background, as advertised, but I might have missed it if I were not looking for it. Overall, I found Stone Smoked Porter very drinkable and pleasant, a beer that I will definitely pick up again.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a 16oz Maudite Snifter.

Pours a nice black color with a good head. I expected a slightly deeper brown head, but it has that characteristic stout look. Aroma is faintly smoky without being overwhelming. The smokey taste, similar to the nose, is subtle but there. It's not an overwhelming amount of smoke like, for example, the Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. If I wasn't looking for it, I'm not certain I'd pick it out blind.

Slight lingering bitterness and a nice medium mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable porter. Meets my expectations for the style really well, not too heavy, more a of season changing fall or early spring beer for me.

Quite nice.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 0.5 L bottle into a Duvel Tulip. Bottled on date is 10/19/2015.

Look -- One finger of medium-tight light tan head. It has decent head retention, it doesn't impress and it doesn't disappoint. Nice lacing with a deep dark ruby color at the edges of the glass.

Smell -- Chocolate and sweetness, some herbal hoppiness beneath it all mingled with teasing scents of smoke. The scent of smoke is fairly light.

Taste -- Bracing bitterness that gives way to chocolate and sweetness and then reappears to linger. Light smokiness worms it's way throughout the taste. The smoke and chocolate aspects make me think of munching on chocolate around a campfire between rounds of making smores.

Feel -- Nice carbonation and medium body on the palate. Definitely reads as a porter to me. Finishes somewhat dry but it isn't cutting and it simply encourages you to go back in for another sip.

Overall -- Initially I was disappointed that the smoke wasn't aggressive but as I got into the beer I appreciated just how well balanced the smoke element is. My only possible complaint with the smoke is I wish it was a little more present on the nose but that may be a failing of my own sniffer and it may not be possible to make it more aggressive on the nose without ruining the balance on the tongue.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

While generally not a big fan of Black Malt, this is the bottle that has made me a beleiver...I really like Porters now! This one is absolutely great, the best one to date. No not watery hopless brew with nothing but burnt barley taste no, no, no. Here is the real deal a beautifully crafted Robust Porter with just enough ABV as to enjoy a few, and a great bone white thick creamy head on top of a dark garnet brown sea of greatness. Definatelly has a hop presance that perfectly balances out the nutty, coffe notes that dominate the flavor profile. Nearly faultless as these bottles went quick and will definately find its way back to my cellar very soon.

4.26/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle with the usual Stone gargoyle and writing about the beer on the back.

A: Pours black, though not pitch black, it does let a bit of light through. Two-finger tannish head that sticks around and clings.

S: Not much going here except for the malts, and not carrying that strongly.

T: Nice. Smoked malts come through first, with a bit of chocolate, coffee, and hops mixed in.

M: Medium-bodied, carbonation just right.

D: Very drinkable- I kind of wish I'd kept the whole bomber instead of splitting it.

Overall an excellent porter from a brewery that has yet to disappoint.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

I read a few reviews prior to drinking this great brew which helped me interpret its complex delicious tastes.

Firstly I couldn't really detect the smokey part in the taste despite being able to smell smoke-like hints in the aroma. In the end I decided that the slightly alcoholic esters at that are felt towards the end of the swallow was the smokiness intended to be tasted in this beer.

Overall I loved this beer. The roasted malts lent themselves to delectable chocolate and coffee notes like a rich cafe latte. Despite its mouthfeel being on the heavy side (which I like) this bodacious brew was very drinkable.

Thanks Stone Brewing Company for another amazing beer!!!

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours out an almost black velvety color with minimal lacing.

Smells of roasted coffee beans with a hint of chocolate.

The taste is really smokey and smooth. The dark chocolate flavors come through and share the spotlight with coffee notes and maybe some vanilla in the backround. Some slight warm alcohol also makes it, making it taste a bit heavier than it is- which isn't really bad. The finish is definitely smooth coffee- pretty damn nice.

Carbonated nicely, not too much, which I actually like for the Porter style. Maybe lacks some body though.

Totally drinkable. I could throw back a few glasses. The smokey flavor really makes it interesting.

It's really satisfying and tasty. And at the totally reasonable price of $5.25 a bomber, which I paid, I absolutely will be buying this again. Once again, more proof Stone's offerings are rarely matched.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle poured into mug.

A...very dark brown with absolutely no light coming through when held up to it. Thin head with nice retention and good lacing.

s...faint smell of cocoa and maybe some dark roasted coffee beans.

T...nice dark chocalate with some bitter cocoa mixed into a nice sweet malt. A very flavorful balance with a clean finish. Very little aftertaste.

M...low carbonation, thick and creamy.

O...very pleasurable beer. I intended to smoke a cigar with this brew but that didn't happen. I liked the beer alot however and will definitely buy again. I think this will pair great with a really good maduro.

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On-Tap, pint glass at Mississippi Pizza, Portalnd, Oregon March 11, 2013

Appearance: Dark, almost opaque. Off white head, good retention

Smell: Not strong, slight malt sweetness

Taste: Malt forward, slight roastiness, smoke flavor hidden deep. Milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Lighter side for porter. Above average carbonation.

Overall: A great porter. One I would revisit. Smokiness almost not enough, although better to err on too little, perhaps...

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A - Typical porter dark brown-orange. A full finger of dense, tan head. Spotty lacing. Nothing unusual.

S - Baker's chocolate takes the stage and gives way to exceptionally smokey/roasty malts and finishes with a hint of coffee.

T - Roasty malts and bitter chocolate are the backbone of this beer. More bitter than your average porter. Coffee presence isn't as strong as I'd like but its doable. There's some notes of sweet caramel towards the end and maybe some cherry but it definitely finishes bitter. The bitterness must be a product of the chocolate as there are minimal hops. The smokiness lingers on the palet. The label mentions that it pairs well BBQ'd foods and I can see why.

M - Much drier than I'm used to in a porter but I like it. It took me a few sips to get used to. Full bodied and light carbonation.

O - I have a pretty high bar set for Stone after enjoying some of their other beers. This is an above average porter but it didn't blow me out of the park. It isn't as complex as I'd like - the malts and chocolate steal most of the show. I'd buy it again though to pair with some wings.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, dark brown with a slight red tint when held to the light. Opaque would definitely describe this one. Small off-white head. Seemingly no carbonation. Looks good.

S: Deep smokey earthiness. Almost like the peat character to scotch ale. Almost sweet, but not in a malty way. A touch of booze backs it up with a subtle spicy note. Not overly complex, but spot-on.

T: Earthy and smoky upfront supported by a solid roasted backbone. There are hints of coffee, dark chocolate, and a touch of hops. The hops are aren't too strong but add a hint bitterness that compliments the roast nicely.

M: This one has a smooth medium-body feel. You wouldn't guess it from looking at it, but it has a good amount of carbonation that fizzes the tongue.

O: This to me is what a smoked porter should be. Robust porters aren't usually my thing, but this one was quite tasty and well balanced. Would definitely get this again, and I recommend trying it, strongly. This is my first taste of Stone, and I want more.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

A-Nice dark, dark amber color when put up to a light, a little darker than other Porters I think, minimal head and lacing.

S-Subtle smoke aroma with sometype of fruitiness in there.

T-The taste didnt blow my mind or anything, about what I expected, you can taste the smokiness but its not overpowering, and maybe its just me but the alcohol seems to be more prevelant than I would like.

M-Thick and creamy

D-Easily a good drinkable beer, goes down pretty smooth and the palate is not overpowered by the smoke.

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Deep, dark, almost opaque in color with a tan head. Only a hint of burnt smoke in the nose with some notes of coffee. The taste was great - just a little bit of smokey background, with a coffee or dark fruit flavor. The best part of this wonderful brew is the fact that it finishes so clean. Almost no residual bitterness (you would never know it was 50+ IBU).

2.84/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

22 oz bomber, poured into tulip glass. Bottled 10/19/15, Enjoy by 02/16/15.

L - Pours dark, mahogany, almost plum skin color. Thick white/off-white head that dissipates slow, leaves slight lacing.

S - Ash, smoke, leather, burnt chocolate/coffee.

T - Roasted/burnt malts, coffee, a very woody aftertaste that's probably the "smoked" aspect. Not getting any fruit or maltiness to balance out the strong bitter bite this has throughout.

F - Smooth and creamy, very soft carbonation. The intense flavor notes clash with the smoothness.

O - For my third-ever porter, I probably shouldn't have thought of "smoked" as universally appealing as "smoked ham" or "smoked almonds." "Smoked" beer is a bit too strong, woody, almost like drinking the contents of a chimney. But, my first IPA was a "bitter" experience and I'm guessing I'll need to acquire this taste, let it sit longer at room temperature, or stick to stouts.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

This is quite possibly the beer that turned me from a hophead to a porterphile. While I find many porters to be interesting and well made, this really bent some of the preconceived notions I had, as to what a beer should be.
Appearance is magnificently thick and rich poured into a clear pint glass leaving a couple...oops, I poured too hard...three and a half fingers of cream colored head with wisps of tan throughout. The aroma is smoky and full of that charred porter goodness that many of us love. The smoke is so well balanced here that it flows seamlessly through the flavor. They do not joke when they suggest barbecue on the bottle. The flavors are sweet and malty up front with the smoke beginning to rise in the mid-palate and by the time that roasted char comes through in the finish the smoke peaks and hangs around like a campfire in the early morning. An interesting beer that should be given a try by anyone, especially those who think porters aren't as exciting as hoppier beers.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

My first foray into the big Stone family of Porter's. Needless to say, I was not left disappointed as this beer packed all of the punch and flavor I've become accustomed to with Stone beers. This beer is jet black, offering no discernible light through, and has a thin tan head that lasts until the very last drop. A sweet feel on the tongue is followed by a strong smokey flavor that delivers an uncompromising finish on what the name implies. Would I buy this again? Absolutely. Do I regret missing out on their chipotle porter? Absolutely.

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a chilled mug. Prominent, thick, 1"-2" head that lingers a bit, nice lacing. Beautiful mahogany brown in color, fading to pitch black in the center of the mug. If you pour it aggressively it can get a huge head of at least 3+ inches :-)

Nose is mild at first, improving as it warms over a ten minute period before drinking. I can also smell some hops in there, nothing too strong though. Presence is mild and I thought the flavor might be mild as well.

Initial taste, wow, surprised me. Initially mild sweetness, with a complex character. Roasted malts, mild bitter chocolate, charred wood, smokey (as intended?). Fairly thin in the mouth. Finishes with a mild hops bitterness that compliments the first sweet tones. Definitely some bittersweet chocolate overtones and thicker than anticipated. Nicely dry and crisp, no oiliness at all. Leaves the mouth feeling refreshed and clean. At 5.9% abv this is an easily drinkable session beer and not overpowering, I can't wait to try it with some BBQ'd pork or a nice ribeye. I am quite surprised at the overall flavor and character.

Not really being familiar with the porter style of beers, I am hesitant to rate this too high, since there may well be something much better out there. Still, I am going to give this a 7 out of 10 based on it being much more flavorful than I expected based on the nose, and the drinkability of it. Definitely will have this again, next time, I WILL have some BBQ ready to go with it!

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Served into Arrogant Bastard pint glass (fizzy yellow beer is for wussies)

A - Deep chocolatey brown to near black. Gave me three fingers of deep head that sticks around for quite sometime and leaves a network of lacing around the glass.

S - Scents of a roasted nuttiness, almost like a hazelnut coffee even. Smoke it faint, but there. Not overpowering at all.

T - An initial creamish flavor with some light notes of nut and coffee that lets in a very brief and very short lived smokiness at the very end of the profile.

M - The mouthfeel might've been my favorite aspect of this beer. A creamy, almost malty (think like malted chocolate milkshake) mouthfeel that is just very inviting, but has just the right amount of carbonation to let the flavors it features tickle the tongue.

O - The smokiness is actually far more muted than I expected on a smoked porter, but I might be biasing the review by expecting a higher smokiness. The smoke is definitely there, but not inyoface. A good offering that would go remarkably well with a bbqed brisket. I'll revisit this again sometime soon.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a bomber.
Appearance was almost black but some light comes through on the edges, with a creamy beige head that lasts for a good while.

Smelled a little sweet with some piney hops.

The taste had couple things going on. sweetness, roasted coffee and malts up front with some pronounced bitter hops at the end. the hops and coffee linger afterward.

Medium mouth-peel with a tongue coating quality.

Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful deep brown, almost black color with a nice tan head, and leaves a decent lacing as the glass is emptied.

S- The aroma is subtle but the malt is front and center.

T- The taste on this is what wins me over. Chocolate and coffee flavors and a slight smokiness (almost burnt) flavor come out on top.

M- Nice full mouthfeel.

D- It's been a while since I've had a really good porter and this one reminded me of what I was missing. A really good porter.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.