Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

This was my 1st stone I ever tried, so i figure it's time to review it

Nice lace once poured. Good look, descent smell. There was the hint of raosted malts in the after taste, and smoke was theree, just not the way I expected. The dominant flavor had to be the bitterness from the hops. Reminded me of arrogant bastard that way. The creamy ness come in full effect after the bittnerness. I wish they would sacrifice the bitterness for more of the roasted flavor, but it is still a good beer. enjoy!

PSUDREW, Sep 01, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a dark brown to black color with red highlights, producing a generous brown head that retains nicely and leaves a lot of lacing.

Aroma is a little masked but some hints of roasted malt and a very faint hint of smoke can be detected.

Taste reveals notes of caramel, roasted nuts, and light touches of chocolate. There is a slight smokiness upfront but not nearly as prevalent as you may expect.

Smooth mouthfeel but lacking in body just a little. Overall this was good to try but the "smoked" part wasn't pulled off quite as well as I was hoping. My feelings are a little mixed on this one. As far as porters go, this is really good, but if I was picking out of Stone's lineup, this would not be one of my first choices. Rating to style, I really can't complain so I'm sure I would pick this up again if I was in the mood for it.

Vengeance526, Sep 06, 2009

Jason_Quad, Jul 09, 2012

BreweryRun, Mar 13, 2014
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Drank a 22 oz. bomber by myself (woohoo!). Decanted into a pint glass. It's a completely opaque black with a sticky white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Light coffee aromas, bit of roasted grains. A touch smoky. Not as strong as I would have liked.

Flavors of dark coffee and dark chocolate. Nice smoky quality. Touch of syrup.

Lighter in body than I expected. Nice and smooth.

Very drinkable porter. None of the flavors or aromas are super notable, but they mesh together well.

ndekke39, Mar 02, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from 22oz bomber into Stone Smoked Porter glass.

A-Very nice pitch black with a nice two finger head that lingered around for quite a while.

S-The smoke is a bit much. I know this is a smoked porter, but the smoke smell is hard to get past to get to the chocolate/coffee undertones.

T-Again, the smoke. its a bit much and the coffee/chocolate undertones are showing up which is nice.

M-A nice full bodied brew with perfect carbonation.

D-I would enjoy this more if I could get past the smoke. But still, for a big beer it is surprisingly drinkable, but one bomber is enough.

Lerxst, Apr 21, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

A light khaki decent size head. A dark ruby red body. I can see some bubbles.

I'm kind of shocked on the way of smell here. All I smell is a very light smokiness, light hops and malts. Nothing really that great.

A decent body... Somewhat thick which is good for a porter. Not much carbonation and smooth. Leaves the mouth slightly dry.

You definitely can notice the nice smokiness with the first sip. It's a little bitter. The dark malts and even the somewhat spicy hops make its presence known. The spice isn't ass-kicking in any way but there's a subtle hint of it. A slight coffee taste from the dark malts. I like it. There really isn't an alcohol taste to it; which is good because I've noticed that a lot with other Stone Brewery offerings.

Drink Ability: for a porter I can drink this all night. Don't know how I'd feel in the morning, doesn't really matter because I wake up in the afternoon anyway.

9InchNails, Nov 12, 2010

dragomni, Mar 06, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

ChrisinRI, Aug 03, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours a beautiful garnet with two fingers incredibly dense, fluffy mocha head. Head retention is stellar. Lacing is also stellar. Beautiful looking pint.

S: Immediately the smoke presence is known. Charred oak, chicory, coffee, and cacao are all present in the nose. Also present is a bit of citric hops.

T: Again, the smoke is a powerful component in the process. Layers of it permeate throughout the tasting. Sweet chocolate malts are met immediately with an oily smokiness which is quickly overtaken by a flash of citric hoppiness. Finishes dry with an awesome roasted aftertaste of americano, chicory and cocoa powder.

M: Carbonation is subdued, which is great for the style. However, the body is just a touch on the thin side for expressing such dark and aggressive flavors.

O: Goddamn amazing. This is a beer that I've been eyeing for a few weeks. Glad to have finally tried it.

McStagger, May 23, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

This was a gift from my brother to replace one my friend from college drank by himself despite my paying for half of it and all the vermouth for that night. Wow what a head of tan... on a football colored beer. Smell was like chocolate coffee. Tastes was chocolatety and perhaps a hint of cherry. Was quite a thick beer too. Went down easy, could have easily drank the bottle myself. Never been disappointed by stones before and this beer wasn't the exception.

hdofu, Jun 02, 2009

spoonhawk, Nov 23, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Virtually black. Pours a thick three finger head with some hints of chocolate.

Aroma: Roasted malt, toasty. Deep and satisfying, but not smoke as far as I can tell.

Taste: Lovely malt attack! Rich chocolate, espresso, and roasted coffee & malts. Some toasty characteristics from the smoking, but it's not "smoky" as such. Very tasty though.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, medium bodied.

Overall: This is an excellent, robust porter, although I'm surprised about the relative lack of smoke. For the style, the points come down a little bit because of the lack of smoke, but as a porter this is very good indeed.

Arborescence, Apr 18, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Jet black with creamy mocha head. Plenty of lacing left behind.

Aroma was bitter coffee. Bit of earthy hops. Not much smoke presence.

Taste was that of a solid porter with just a hint of smoke. I was surprised by the subdued nature of the smoke. Usually Stone is pushing some limits. I found this to be a surprisingly low-key beer. Well, brewed, decent flavors, but subdued.

Mouthfeel was good. More ale like than stout like, making this a fairly easy to drink beer. It just wasn't a beer I was excited to drink.

mklinger, Oct 02, 2010

loganburgh, Nov 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Almost completely opaque. Light brown head composed of tiny bubbles that stays pretty well. Quite a bit in the nose, lots of smoked peaty malt, chocolate, and caramel backed by leafy hops. As for the taste, the expected smoked grain. This is most apparent with retro-olfaction, but is definitely a big presence throughout. Lots of roasted grain and dark chocolate, very bittersweet up front. Leafy and slightly rind-like hops come out more in the back, but are subtle and balance perfectly with the malt. Very slight fruitiness, plum-like. Perfectly smooth and creamy mouthfeel. I'm a big fan of smoked beers, and this one is amazing. I am very impressed, I love this beer. I bow to the great gargoyle.

hyuga, Aug 29, 2002

koes0024, Sep 02, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +8%

OK.... I am probably prejudiced.... because I've LOVED every Stone Brew I've tried.... but here goes:

I poured the 22 oz Bomber into a pint glass. It was a bit of a 'hard" pour that resulted in a 2-1/2" head of tan goodness. The beer is ebony in color.... no light shone through when held to the light.

The head diminished slowly and left behind lot's of clumpy lacing on the glass.

The smell was full of sweet caramel and dark chocolate.

The taste: mmmm.... goodness in a bottle... the first thing that hits me is the smokey taste... I can see why this is a SMOKED PORTER.... it tastes like a campfire thats been smoldering for a week! The dark chocolate pokes through as well as the expresso coffee. The finish is a bit fruity.... wow.... very complex!

Mouthfeel: nicely carbonated.... great mouth coating and aftertaste.

Drinkability: If I had more, I would drink more... but, alas.... the Bomber is gone.... Oh to live in San Diego.... I would have this alot! Highly recommended.

TheBierBand, Sep 21, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours from the bottle with a deep, nearly opaque black/brown color and generates a foamy sand-colored head. The aroma is disappointingly subtle, with only a bit of milk chocolate and weak coffee being discerned. The flavor is more what I had hoped for, with some soft, woody smoke, chocolate, and a bit of spicy, herbal hops for balance. The mouthfeel detracts from the varied flavor profile, with a fine, fizzy carbonation that borders on unpleasant. Overall, this is a fine porter with a bit of extra character, but it is is sadly subtle.

devilben02, Jan 07, 2013

Devman171, Aug 29, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

SonictheBeerhog, Aug 12, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip pint glass.

A - Poured black with ruby hues when held up to the light. Good tan head with minimal lacing throughout.

S - Very medicinal smell. Hints of smoke and coffee.

T - Malty and smoky up front followed by an espresso bitterness.

MF&D - Medium bodied porter. Clung to my mouth well and left a pleasant aftertaste. IMO not quite as good as I had hoped.

nasty15108, Apr 16, 2008
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.