Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,775 | Hads: 4,020
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours out an almost black velvety color with minimal lacing.

Smells of roasted coffee beans with a hint of chocolate.

The taste is really smokey and smooth. The dark chocolate flavors come through and share the spotlight with coffee notes and maybe some vanilla in the backround. Some slight warm alcohol also makes it, making it taste a bit heavier than it is- which isn't really bad. The finish is definitely smooth coffee- pretty damn nice.

Carbonated nicely, not too much, which I actually like for the Porter style. Maybe lacks some body though.

Totally drinkable. I could throw back a few glasses. The smokey flavor really makes it interesting.

It's really satisfying and tasty. And at the totally reasonable price of $5.25 a bomber, which I paid, I absolutely will be buying this again. Once again, more proof Stone's offerings are rarely matched. (860 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle poured into mug.

A...very dark brown with absolutely no light coming through when held up to it. Thin head with nice retention and good lacing.

s...faint smell of cocoa and maybe some dark roasted coffee beans.

T...nice dark chocalate with some bitter cocoa mixed into a nice sweet malt. A very flavorful balance with a clean finish. Very little aftertaste.

M...low carbonation, thick and creamy.

O...very pleasurable beer. I intended to smoke a cigar with this brew but that didn't happen. I liked the beer alot however and will definitely buy again. I think this will pair great with a really good maduro. (619 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A - Typical porter dark brown-orange. A full finger of dense, tan head. Spotty lacing. Nothing unusual.

S - Baker's chocolate takes the stage and gives way to exceptionally smokey/roasty malts and finishes with a hint of coffee.

T - Roasty malts and bitter chocolate are the backbone of this beer. More bitter than your average porter. Coffee presence isn't as strong as I'd like but its doable. There's some notes of sweet caramel towards the end and maybe some cherry but it definitely finishes bitter. The bitterness must be a product of the chocolate as there are minimal hops. The smokiness lingers on the palet. The label mentions that it pairs well BBQ'd foods and I can see why.

M - Much drier than I'm used to in a porter but I like it. It took me a few sips to get used to. Full bodied and light carbonation.

O - I have a pretty high bar set for Stone after enjoying some of their other beers. This is an above average porter but it didn't blow me out of the park. It isn't as complex as I'd like - the malts and chocolate steal most of the show. I'd buy it again though to pair with some wings. (1,147 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A-Nice dark, dark amber color when put up to a light, a little darker than other Porters I think, minimal head and lacing.

S-Subtle smoke aroma with sometype of fruitiness in there.

T-The taste didnt blow my mind or anything, about what I expected, you can taste the smokiness but its not overpowering, and maybe its just me but the alcohol seems to be more prevelant than I would like.

M-Thick and creamy

D-Easily a good drinkable beer, goes down pretty smooth and the palate is not overpowered by the smoke. (513 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Deep, dark, almost opaque in color with a tan head. Only a hint of burnt smoke in the nose with some notes of coffee. The taste was great - just a little bit of smokey background, with a coffee or dark fruit flavor. The best part of this wonderful brew is the fact that it finishes so clean. Almost no residual bitterness (you would never know it was 50+ IBU). (409 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

This is quite possibly the beer that turned me from a hophead to a porterphile. While I find many porters to be interesting and well made, this really bent some of the preconceived notions I had, as to what a beer should be.
Appearance is magnificently thick and rich poured into a clear pint glass leaving a couple...oops, I poured too hard...three and a half fingers of cream colored head with wisps of tan throughout. The aroma is smoky and full of that charred porter goodness that many of us love. The smoke is so well balanced here that it flows seamlessly through the flavor. They do not joke when they suggest barbecue on the bottle. The flavors are sweet and malty up front with the smoke beginning to rise in the mid-palate and by the time that roasted char comes through in the finish the smoke peaks and hangs around like a campfire in the early morning. An interesting beer that should be given a try by anyone, especially those who think porters aren't as exciting as hoppier beers. (996 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

My first foray into the big Stone family of Porter's. Needless to say, I was not left disappointed as this beer packed all of the punch and flavor I've become accustomed to with Stone beers. This beer is jet black, offering no discernible light through, and has a thin tan head that lasts until the very last drop. A sweet feel on the tongue is followed by a strong smokey flavor that delivers an uncompromising finish on what the name implies. Would I buy this again? Absolutely. Do I regret missing out on their chipotle porter? Absolutely. (542 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a chilled mug. Prominent, thick, 1"-2" head that lingers a bit, nice lacing. Beautiful mahogany brown in color, fading to pitch black in the center of the mug. If you pour it aggressively it can get a huge head of at least 3+ inches :-)

Nose is mild at first, improving as it warms over a ten minute period before drinking. I can also smell some hops in there, nothing too strong though. Presence is mild and I thought the flavor might be mild as well.

Initial taste, wow, surprised me. Initially mild sweetness, with a complex character. Roasted malts, mild bitter chocolate, charred wood, smokey (as intended?). Fairly thin in the mouth. Finishes with a mild hops bitterness that compliments the first sweet tones. Definitely some bittersweet chocolate overtones and thicker than anticipated. Nicely dry and crisp, no oiliness at all. Leaves the mouth feeling refreshed and clean. At 5.9% abv this is an easily drinkable session beer and not overpowering, I can't wait to try it with some BBQ'd pork or a nice ribeye. I am quite surprised at the overall flavor and character.

Not really being familiar with the porter style of beers, I am hesitant to rate this too high, since there may well be something much better out there. Still, I am going to give this a 7 out of 10 based on it being much more flavorful than I expected based on the nose, and the drinkability of it. Definitely will have this again, next time, I WILL have some BBQ ready to go with it! (1,498 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Served into Arrogant Bastard pint glass (fizzy yellow beer is for wussies)

A - Deep chocolatey brown to near black. Gave me three fingers of deep head that sticks around for quite sometime and leaves a network of lacing around the glass.

S - Scents of a roasted nuttiness, almost like a hazelnut coffee even. Smoke it faint, but there. Not overpowering at all.

T - An initial creamish flavor with some light notes of nut and coffee that lets in a very brief and very short lived smokiness at the very end of the profile.

M - The mouthfeel might've been my favorite aspect of this beer. A creamy, almost malty (think like malted chocolate milkshake) mouthfeel that is just very inviting, but has just the right amount of carbonation to let the flavors it features tickle the tongue.

O - The smokiness is actually far more muted than I expected on a smoked porter, but I might be biasing the review by expecting a higher smokiness. The smoke is definitely there, but not inyoface. A good offering that would go remarkably well with a bbqed brisket. I'll revisit this again sometime soon. (1,093 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On-Tap, pint glass at Mississippi Pizza, Portalnd, Oregon March 11, 2013

Appearance: Dark, almost opaque. Off white head, good retention

Smell: Not strong, slight malt sweetness

Taste: Malt forward, slight roastiness, smoke flavor hidden deep. Milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Lighter side for porter. Above average carbonation.

Overall: A great porter. One I would revisit. Smokiness almost not enough, although better to err on too little, perhaps... (451 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a bomber.
Appearance was almost black but some light comes through on the edges, with a creamy beige head that lasts for a good while.

Smelled a little sweet with some piney hops.

The taste had couple things going on. sweetness, roasted coffee and malts up front with some pronounced bitter hops at the end. the hops and coffee linger afterward.

Medium mouth-peel with a tongue coating quality.

Recommended. (424 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful deep brown, almost black color with a nice tan head, and leaves a decent lacing as the glass is emptied.

S- The aroma is subtle but the malt is front and center.

T- The taste on this is what wins me over. Chocolate and coffee flavors and a slight smokiness (almost burnt) flavor come out on top.

M- Nice full mouthfeel.

D- It's been a while since I've had a really good porter and this one reminded me of what I was missing. A really good porter. (513 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

I bought a bomber of this at Whole Foods in White Plains New York the other day. I poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown with some ruby red tint. I can barely see through it when held to light. No head to speak of, but had a slight off white film that floated on top. It left no lace rings.

S- First whiff had a nice chocolate malt aroma with slight notes of coffee and caramel. It also had a pleasent smokey note that was very subdued.

T- Much like the smell, chocolate malts dominated. It also had subtle hints of coffee, sweet toffee, and vanilla with a light fig or raisin note. It had a realy good smokey undertone that didn't overpower everything else. It also had some mild citrusy hops on the back end.

M- Medium body with good carbonation. The over all feel seems to fit this style of beer very well.

D- I'm not general a big fan of porters, but do like smoked beers. I liked this a lot! I thought the smoke was very balanced with the malty sweetness and didn't over power the way some do. I drank with grilled pork chops and thought they complemented each other nicely. I will definatly buy again and could drink a few of these at one sitting. Over all another very nice beer from Stone. Cheers! (1,217 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Tried this in a 22oz bomber.

A. Dark brown color poured with a solid finger of light tan head, left quickly leaving only a thin layer.

S. Not much of a smell. Some roasted and smoky hints(who'd of guessed in a smoked porter.)

T. Nice rich roasted flavor. More roasted then smoky in my opinion. A mild hoppy bitterness on the last few sips.

M. Crisp, the bitterness and low carbonation = goodness

D. Id drink more then a few of these, not over powering but definitely a beer that you'd remember. (499 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, dark brown with a slight red tint when held to the light. Opaque would definitely describe this one. Small off-white head. Seemingly no carbonation. Looks good.

S: Deep smokey earthiness. Almost like the peat character to scotch ale. Almost sweet, but not in a malty way. A touch of booze backs it up with a subtle spicy note. Not overly complex, but spot-on.

T: Earthy and smoky upfront supported by a solid roasted backbone. There are hints of coffee, dark chocolate, and a touch of hops. The hops are aren't too strong but add a hint bitterness that compliments the roast nicely.

M: This one has a smooth medium-body feel. You wouldn't guess it from looking at it, but it has a good amount of carbonation that fizzes the tongue.

O: This to me is what a smoked porter should be. Robust porters aren't usually my thing, but this one was quite tasty and well balanced. Would definitely get this again, and I recommend trying it, strongly. This is my first taste of Stone, and I want more. (1,003 characters)

A - Dark mahogany with a thick head that quickly sinks into the beer, leaving a ton of sticky lacing behind. Not much aroma, but a little malty chocolate and just a hint of smokiness. At first I didn't taste any smokiness at all in this one, so I was quite disappointed. Tasted like an average porter; roasted malt and a slight sweet chocolate flavor. However, as it warmed up a little, the smokiness started to emerge a little bit. The smoky flavor was still not as bold as I expected though, but that's not a bad thing. Excellent, full mouthfeel. Overall, not as bold as I expected, but a really well balanced porter, nonetheless. (632 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a bomber. Pours a nice deep reddish/black color. Solid head that quickly thins out. Solid lacing. Smell is of light smoke and malts. Taste is very very enjoyable. Roasted malts stick out, along with a mild smoke sensation. I was suprised with this Porter. I really enjoy what Stone has to offer, and this just adds to the list of my likes! (351 characters)

poured into a pint glass.
dark brown with a hint of amber, short tanish off-white colored head. the smell is a robust combination of smokey roasted chocolate. the flavor follows the smells, a nice roasty feel to it with hints of chocolate and coffee. nice carbonation give it an umph but still give you that rich toasty aftertaste. Well Done! (343 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Bomber poured into Pint glass.

A: Pours a nice deep brown with a brown head of a little less than one finger width that retains well throughout. Little to no lacing occurs.dd When held to the light, it is not transparent in the least, but some reddish tones can be discerned.

S: The smoke overtone is always present, but doesn't dominate and lets the other nuances of roasted malts, nuts, some chocolate, and faint hops. The smell is very subdued and takes some "searching" out to get anything above the typical porter.

T: This is where this beer really shines. The first taste is of a subtle smoke taste, almost the same sensation of tasting smoke from a camp fire. This is subdued and goes to the background pretty quick as the roasted flavors kick in with pronounced coffee overtones. There is a bitterness that comes into play as it is swallowed that I couldn't quite tell whether from the smoke or the hops. Either way, it is very enjoyable and leaves you wanting more.

M: With the moderate carbonation there is a discernible tingling sensation, but that is tamed by the creamy feel of this porter. The lasting finish is of the smoke flavor, which is pronounced, but not overly domineering.

D: A good representation of the Smoked Porter style giving out all the flavors that one would come to expect, but not too much of any one aspect. The average alcohol and carbonation make this an easy beer to sit down and enjoy and goes very well with a Texas style smoked BBQ, such as a chopped brisket sandwich. (1,513 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Color is dark garnet. Smell is of smoky, grilled meats; taste is more of the same, with some bitter chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, vanilla and strong roasted malts. Mouthfeel is good and chewy, and goes down pretty smooth.

Overall enjoyable enough, but rather straightforward; not as complex as other smoked beers I've had (i.e. Surly's Smoke). I won't be going out of my way to get this one again. (438 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

I want to love this beer. Its a classic porter. Poured into a tulip glass. It is dark brown almost black with a little head. More of A ring around the outer edge of the glass. The little ring is strong and leaves pretty decent lacing considering there is so little of it. It reminds me of Guinness. The smoke flavor is overpowering and I think it hides the flavor of an excellent porter. Maybe I will be able to find just a Stone Porter. (437 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A- thick tan head, dark, looks great when held to the light.

S- mostly malts not too much hops could stand to be more smokey

T- great tast rich roasty tastes with chocolate

M- good feel i like them a little thicker

D- i could drink a lot of this one (255 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Black center fades to red around the edges. 2 finger bubbly airy head dissipates slowly to a film; good lacing.

S: Smokey, roasty malt, odd smell that I can't place, maybe a bit metallic?

T: Roasted malt, smokey, coffee and cacao finishes with a hint of toffee

M: Nice carbonation, feels frothy, slight alcohol tingle

D: I really like this beer, It is extremely drinkable for a porter (395 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A= Good color with slight head retention and bit of lacing.

S= Roasted malt smokiness and coffee malt.

T= Black patent malt with a smoky, roasted coffee flavor, strong hop bitterness.

M= Medium body, medium carbonation

D= Good beer, would only have one pint (261 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours black with cream head, golden bubbles flowing upwards and nice lacing.

Lite smoke scent, roasted malt and molasses.

Great roasted barley flavor. Smoky undertones, not strong at all, some slight sweetness, slight chocolate/espresso with nice bittering in the end. A little soy mixed in as well. No alcohol hints at all.

Lite but full mouth feel.

While it is relatively low in alcohol, the complexity would keep me from having many of these.

Overall a good porter and quite complex and full, just not a personal favorite. (533 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.