Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,770 | Hads: 4,001
4.66/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a bomber. Pours a nice deep reddish/black color. Solid head that quickly thins out. Solid lacing. Smell is of light smoke and malts. Taste is very very enjoyable. Roasted malts stick out, along with a mild smoke sensation. I was suprised with this Porter. I really enjoy what Stone has to offer, and this just adds to the list of my likes! (351 characters)

poured into a pint glass.
dark brown with a hint of amber, short tanish off-white colored head. the smell is a robust combination of smokey roasted chocolate. the flavor follows the smells, a nice roasty feel to it with hints of chocolate and coffee. nice carbonation give it an umph but still give you that rich toasty aftertaste. Well Done! (343 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Bomber poured into Pint glass.

A: Pours a nice deep brown with a brown head of a little less than one finger width that retains well throughout. Little to no lacing occurs.dd When held to the light, it is not transparent in the least, but some reddish tones can be discerned.

S: The smoke overtone is always present, but doesn't dominate and lets the other nuances of roasted malts, nuts, some chocolate, and faint hops. The smell is very subdued and takes some "searching" out to get anything above the typical porter.

T: This is where this beer really shines. The first taste is of a subtle smoke taste, almost the same sensation of tasting smoke from a camp fire. This is subdued and goes to the background pretty quick as the roasted flavors kick in with pronounced coffee overtones. There is a bitterness that comes into play as it is swallowed that I couldn't quite tell whether from the smoke or the hops. Either way, it is very enjoyable and leaves you wanting more.

M: With the moderate carbonation there is a discernible tingling sensation, but that is tamed by the creamy feel of this porter. The lasting finish is of the smoke flavor, which is pronounced, but not overly domineering.

D: A good representation of the Smoked Porter style giving out all the flavors that one would come to expect, but not too much of any one aspect. The average alcohol and carbonation make this an easy beer to sit down and enjoy and goes very well with a Texas style smoked BBQ, such as a chopped brisket sandwich. (1,513 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Color is dark garnet. Smell is of smoky, grilled meats; taste is more of the same, with some bitter chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, vanilla and strong roasted malts. Mouthfeel is good and chewy, and goes down pretty smooth.

Overall enjoyable enough, but rather straightforward; not as complex as other smoked beers I've had (i.e. Surly's Smoke). I won't be going out of my way to get this one again. (438 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

I want to love this beer. Its a classic porter. Poured into a tulip glass. It is dark brown almost black with a little head. More of A ring around the outer edge of the glass. The little ring is strong and leaves pretty decent lacing considering there is so little of it. It reminds me of Guinness. The smoke flavor is overpowering and I think it hides the flavor of an excellent porter. Maybe I will be able to find just a Stone Porter. (437 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, dark brown with a slight red tint when held to the light. Opaque would definitely describe this one. Small off-white head. Seemingly no carbonation. Looks good.

S: Deep smokey earthiness. Almost like the peat character to scotch ale. Almost sweet, but not in a malty way. A touch of booze backs it up with a subtle spicy note. Not overly complex, but spot-on.

T: Earthy and smoky upfront supported by a solid roasted backbone. There are hints of coffee, dark chocolate, and a touch of hops. The hops are aren't too strong but add a hint bitterness that compliments the roast nicely.

M: This one has a smooth medium-body feel. You wouldn't guess it from looking at it, but it has a good amount of carbonation that fizzes the tongue.

O: This to me is what a smoked porter should be. Robust porters aren't usually my thing, but this one was quite tasty and well balanced. Would definitely get this again, and I recommend trying it, strongly. This is my first taste of Stone, and I want more. (1,003 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A- thick tan head, dark, looks great when held to the light.

S- mostly malts not too much hops could stand to be more smokey

T- great tast rich roasty tastes with chocolate

M- good feel i like them a little thicker

D- i could drink a lot of this one (255 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Black center fades to red around the edges. 2 finger bubbly airy head dissipates slowly to a film; good lacing.

S: Smokey, roasty malt, odd smell that I can't place, maybe a bit metallic?

T: Roasted malt, smokey, coffee and cacao finishes with a hint of toffee

M: Nice carbonation, feels frothy, slight alcohol tingle

D: I really like this beer, It is extremely drinkable for a porter (395 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A= Good color with slight head retention and bit of lacing.

S= Roasted malt smokiness and coffee malt.

T= Black patent malt with a smoky, roasted coffee flavor, strong hop bitterness.

M= Medium body, medium carbonation

D= Good beer, would only have one pint (261 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours black with cream head, golden bubbles flowing upwards and nice lacing.

Lite smoke scent, roasted malt and molasses.

Great roasted barley flavor. Smoky undertones, not strong at all, some slight sweetness, slight chocolate/espresso with nice bittering in the end. A little soy mixed in as well. No alcohol hints at all.

Lite but full mouth feel.

While it is relatively low in alcohol, the complexity would keep me from having many of these.

Overall a good porter and quite complex and full, just not a personal favorite. (533 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

22 oz. bottle. Moderately strong and complex aroma that's primarily dark chocolate and licorice with a dark fruit element, maybe dark cherries or blackberries. Color is a deep ruby, almost black, with a inch thick, creamy, espresso-colored head that quickly subsides to a fine layer which laces thinly down the glass. I don't know what Koch is talking about because the peat malt is unquestionably the defining character of this beer. Still, it's not overwhelming so you can still enjoy the bittersweet chocolate malt behind it. The texture could be a bit thicker but the beer still manages to be rather creamy and soft. All in all this is a damn fine beer. (657 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bottle from a WA state Fred Meyers store.

Pitch Black pour. Small firm head.

Nose of roasting Madrona wood

First sips- Rich espresso with a mocha twist. The smokiness is apparent, though not overwhelming. Neat complex flavor. Subtle carbonation is perfect with the heavier mouthfeel.

Of the porters I've tried, this is the best so far. (345 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours Black with hint of brown at the bottom of a tulip shaped glass.
Smells very smokey with a slight trace of chocolate.

The taste I could not grasp, it was just very smokey. I could barely make out the chocolate Maybe I had a bad bottle because the last time I tasted this it was very good.

Bitter & a bit sour with a lot of smokey bite from beginning to end. I like bitter but it wasn't the good type of bitter taste.

I drank it but I wasn't content after doing so. I will have to try another one at a later date because I do like a lot of the Stone beers. (563 characters)

Pours a dark color with a cream colored head that leaves some nice lacing. Aroma is of smoke coffee, and caramel. Taste has initial malt sweetness, followed by an interesting smoky flavor. The finish is mildly bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is medium to full. (254 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Poured in to a glass, pours black with an amber tint with slightly brown head.

S- slight roasted malts more hints of chocolate.

T- Chocolate malts and coffee pretty good taste similar to the smell.

M- Pretty good carbonation for a heavier beer pretty good smooth as well.

O- overall I enjoyed this porter very much will definitely be having another one next chance I can. (381 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Black to very dark brown on the edges. An off white head that holds like a nice crown on top.

S: Dark and chocolaty. Im pulling some smoky/roasted characters out of the nose, but nothing overpowering.

T: Not bad, but nothing realy dominating the flavor. Somewhat Roasted with some bitterness in there. Its almost like the flavors are hiding like when you drink a beer too cold, but this baby was pulled up from the cellar at 55 degrees so that cant be the problem here.

M: Thinner than I'd like.

Overall not the best porter I've had, but this is my first smoked porter and I'm curious to try others. I'd love to drink this with some smoked pork ribs as I'm betting it'd be great with anything bbq'd. (714 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle purchased from La Jolla BevMo. Poured into the trusty ole Guinness shaker pint (someone buy me a tulip).

A: Looks black. Only when held directly up to light can you see subtle shades of ruby peering through the glass. Lovely big head foams up, sticks around for the duration as more than adequate lacing.

S: I am going to avoid the typical "smokey smell" diatribe. It does smell good though. A little vanilla, a lot of coffee, maybe some smooth caramel too.

T: A tangy bit more bittersweet than I anticipated. Sits well on the tongue however, and by the end is more smooth by half.

M: A little more carbonated/bubbly on the tongue than I would have preferred. Doesn't detract too much from an otherwise excellent porter though.

D: Could easily finish a bomber myself. *hic* Absurdly low ABV compared to some of the monsters I've had recently. (854 characters)

A- Deep Brown with and amber frame. Thin light beige head which is very bubbly. Dissipates rather quickly.

S- Good amount of smoke and sweet malts. Hints of chocolate and vanilla.

T- Very smokey backed by sweet malts. Hints of chocolate, caramel, some dark fruits, touch of hops to finish.

M- Smooth, medium bodied, decently carbonated.

D- Easy to drink, very satisfying. Another good offering from Stone. (410 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great beer for beer geeks, and perhaps why I like it. The nose is just so intriguing. I could spend hours sniffing this one. On first sniff I got charcoal and smoke. Then I stuck my schnozz in there again and smelled some dark fruit, then some wood, then licorice and herbs, then some pine needle, then some smoked salt, then....well, I could go on and on. The nose is so complex you can dig-out all kinds of aromas. Like I said, a beer geek's beer - you could study this one for hours. Some may be turned off by this one, but I find it really fun. The mouthfeel is perfectly porter - light, dancing, but still bursting with flavor. The palate mirrors the nose, and leaves a nice, complex, lingering aftertaste. Again, not one for everyone, but a great brew for the adventuresome. (790 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Poured a very dark brown that you can just barely see through. One finger of tan to light brown head which appears very foamy and fluffy but recedes quickly leaving a fair bit of lacing.

S: Very very subtle smells here, roasted nuts and obviously a bit of smokiness, but I'm not getting much from the smell at all. Maybe it was just my nose at the time.

T: Obviously some smokiness, and woodiness, but it's very subtle as in the smell. I taste light grains and a little bit of floral hops, and some light fruit and candy notes in there also. As with the smell, all the flavors in here seem to be extremely subtle, but very very nice.

M: Light and crisply carbonated, yet heavy and tongue coating enough to get by as a porter. A little light for my taste, but nice.

D: I could drink a bunch of these, and with the price tag there's no reason not to. I'd choose this over a Yuengling Porter any day of the week. Smooth, refreshing, light, yet heavy enough for those who rebel against fizzy yellow beers with multi-million dollar ad campaigns (Please refer to the label on a bottle of Arrogant Bastard) (1,106 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -42.1%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself. (998 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dark Deep Brown/Black in color with thin tan head
S: Smoke, Malt, Dark Cocoa
T: Follows the nose, with a tiny bit of dark fruits
M: smooth, almost a little thin for what it should be
O: Pretty good beer overall. Very good if you like porters (244 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a pint into an over-sized wine glass.

A: Dark brown, sticky. Thin viscosity. Frothy-whitish foam, but not much of it.

S: Pretty mild smelling; hints of malt, molasses, chocolate, soy sauce.

T: Lingers in your mouth similar to a burnt sugar flavor. This would go well with Korean BBQ. The smoke isn't overwhelming and adds to the complex, unusually dry flavor profile. This porter goes from sweet to bitter the longer it stays in your mouth.

M: Not much head. Light carbonation.

O:This is a solid porter with complex flavor. A really solid brew from Stone. Can't go wrong with it.

Serving type: bottle (624 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

I don't have massive porter experience, but I am a huge Deschutes Black Butte Porter fan, and after grabbing a 12-pack of that at Bevmo I decided to throw a pounder of Stone's Smoked Porter into the basket. I love Stone's IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard... so I figured what the heck.

A - Not a huge head, but did get some nice protein lacing on the way through. Less opaque than Black Butte.

S - Burnt alcohol, a little malt?

M - A little more "watery" than I've used to.

T - Wood, black cherry, burnt alcohol.

D - This was a one-timer for me, although it wasn't painful by any means. (591 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego! (601 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.