2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,292 | Reviews: 1,724 | Show All Ratings:
HopTroll

4.22/5  rDev +5%

22 oz. bottle

Appearance- Pours dark brown/black with very thin cream colored foam.

Smell- Chocolate malt comes through well with smoke background.

Taste- Heavy to medium malt flavor with good chocolate notes and just enough smoke that is not overpowering. Nice subtle bitter hop bite at the end of the swallow.

Mouthfeel- The malt richness creates a smooth and creamy that is not too thick.

Drinkability- Good beer with the right amount of smoky flavor that isn't overwhelming.

03-11-2009 22:38:05 | More by HopTroll
jrnold

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Very dark brown, but clear enough that a little light gets through the glass. Head is thick and with a tan color.
Smell: roasted malt with a little chocolate. The smoke is there but not overpowering.
Taste: Again roasted malt primarily. The smokiness appears late and lingers on the tongue.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied.
Drinkability: A well-balanced very drinkable stout. Not the best I've had, but certainly one that I always enjoy drinking.

06-07-2009 01:00:25 | More by jrnold
bstewyb

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Nice thick, tan head. Dark and clear. Slightly reddish tone.

S - Malty, hoppy, slightly citrus, with some chocolate at the end.

T - Smoky, malty, roasted flavor. Coffee and slight chocolate.

M - Slightly thin, not much carbonation. Quite nice.

D - Great beer. Slightly sweet with not too much bite and good depth. Excellence balance and overall characteristics.

06-12-2009 01:01:09 | More by bstewyb
GregoryShmegory

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

This beer is very interesting, to say the least. It pours a beautiful deep dark brown with a magnificent head. After a few minutes the head retention died off, leaving a fine lacing. The smell is of robust roasty malts and feint chocolate; somewhat stout-like I'd say. The first sip was shocking, the smoked peet dominates. After a few more sips the peet mellowed and the beer became more drinkable. A much hyped and yet enjoyable porter, unique and extravagant.

09-24-2009 23:31:22 | More by GregoryShmegory
MatthewPatthew

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

I had a taster of this after a tour of the brewery. This beer is pretty decent, though it pales in comparison to Alaskan's Smoked Porter, which I happened to have had the night before.

It looks like most any porter, though notably - like all of Stone's beers - crystal clear. It feels more watery than I'd like my Porter, however.

The smoked character is the standout of both the taste and aroma, but it has a ham-like quality that I try to avoid in smoked beers. I would have used a similar amount of a more well-rounded smoked malt. More smoke, less meat.

12-28-2010 08:54:36 | More by MatthewPatthew
scninmer08

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Reviewed 10/18/2011. Poured from 22oz. bottle into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Appearance: Deep brown with a large head with good retention.

Smell: The smokiness comes through strong in the smell with the roast of the barley and the hop presence being made known.

Taste: The taste evolved as I drank the beer, which is something that I love in a good brew. It started out with the hops coming through very strong, but after drinking it more, the malty flavors came into fruition to balance the hops nicely.

Mouthfeel: A creamy medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall: This is a very good porter. Not my favorite, but it is definitely one that I would drink with regularity.

10-18-2011 23:24:59 | More by scninmer08
LikeARollingStout

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A - Typical porter dark brown-orange. A full finger of dense, tan head. Spotty lacing. Nothing unusual.

S - Baker's chocolate takes the stage and gives way to exceptionally smokey/roasty malts and finishes with a hint of coffee.

T - Roasty malts and bitter chocolate are the backbone of this beer. More bitter than your average porter. Coffee presence isn't as strong as I'd like but its doable. There's some notes of sweet caramel towards the end and maybe some cherry but it definitely finishes bitter. The bitterness must be a product of the chocolate as there are minimal hops. The smokiness lingers on the palet. The label mentions that it pairs well BBQ'd foods and I can see why.

M - Much drier than I'm used to in a porter but I like it. It took me a few sips to get used to. Full bodied and light carbonation.

O - I have a pretty high bar set for Stone after enjoying some of their other beers. This is an above average porter but it didn't blow me out of the park. It isn't as complex as I'd like - the malts and chocolate steal most of the show. I'd buy it again though to pair with some wings.

06-11-2013 01:05:07 | More by LikeARollingStout
NickHalden

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

Has a three finger head with a tan color that lasts for awhile. The smell is faint with smoked coffee and dark chocolate. The first taste that hits my tongue is the taste of smoked oak and roasted bitter coffee. There is hints of dried fruit and little dark chocolate. Overall I'm disappointed with this porter. It's not by any means bad but there are a lot better porters out there.

10-15-2013 04:55:25 | More by NickHalden
OhioBulldog

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very deep brown, almost opaque, with about an inch of tan head. Head receded to some nice lacing around my glass.
Aroma is of roasted malts and sweeter notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Also maybe some fruits. Wonderful bouquet, made me very anxious to take my first gulp.
The taste is very big, and huge flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a well-balanced kick of hops and smoke in the end.
Mouthfeel is very rich and smooth
I enjoyed this bottle entirely to the end but the heaviness and being paired with my supper would make it hard to drink a whole lot more.

Stone did a great job here to create a big porter, Great, will buy again

08-22-2004 17:27:48 | More by OhioBulldog
sagito327

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Finally tried this beast for graduation. Poured into a glass forming a thick, 1 1/2-2 inch head. Appearance was black, red around the sides. Head dissipates within a minute or two, leaving very little lacing. Smells of smoke, raisin, coffee and hops. Tastes very "hoppy", but nice. Goes down smoothly, though it is a very "thin" beer as far as dark beers go. The light feel allows it to go down smooth, and it is very satisfying. One of the better porters I have had, but I still think that if you like a full flavored dark beer, a stout is the way to go.

05-18-2006 08:22:02 | More by sagito327
crashoveride

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

I drank this beer at a brew pub in Easton, Pa called Which Brew. Since porters are what I drink, this beer was right up my alley. I never had this beer before and I must say the taste to me is very inviting, it was smooth to start with a slight bite at the finish. I enjoyed this beer with dessert and went very well with chocolate drizzled cheesecake. I liked the beer so much that I went and purchased it at my local beer distributor. It came in a case of 12- 22 0z. bottles which will last me one long weekend. The 22 0z. bottles is a lot of beer but the beer is so smooth it makes it easy to drink. I also recommend having this beer with a nice T-bone steak and some chocolate fondue for dessert.

02-08-2008 18:06:08 | More by crashoveride
r3zim

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A:
Poured a rich near black liquid from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass with 3/4 inch of head.
Carbonation appears strong leaving a nice layer of bubbles lingering.

S:
Smells is of chocolate and cherries. Very inviting.

T:
Taste is a full complex flavor with chocolate notes.

M:
Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body.

D:
This is very drinkable. Goes down very smooth and would make an excellent session beer. Could be a bit lighter on carbonation.

09-24-2008 05:08:37 | More by r3zim
therealnod

Arizona

Wow...I mean wow, what a brew.

A: Everybody gets the appearance right on their Porter. Grading Porters on appearance? A Porter looks like a Porter, period. No one ever misses, not even A-B. (!)

S: Beautiful. Everything Porter.

T: Holy Hell, this thing is immense. One hell of a roller coaster ride between chocolate, coffee, vanilla bean, licorice, and a bunch of things that go by too fast to recognize properly. Big, complex, and mystifying.

M&D: Sublime. Enough said...session at will.

The best Porter I've ever had...eclispses the Alaskan Smoked Porter with ease. Wow.

01-03-2009 23:51:42 | More by therealnod
recons54

Maine

A - Pours a deep brown with a creamy tan head.

S - A hint of smoke and cocoa.

T - The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of smoke that lingers through the finish.

M - This is very smooth tasting porter, not too busy, but VERY satisfying.

D - Very easy drinking, which to me means I could drink several of these during a night. I enjoyed my last bottle while enjoying some baby back ribs, which I highly recommend.

05-26-2009 17:40:35 | More by recons54
ocbears

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Very dark brown, almost black. The head rises about two fingers and is a nice khaki color. It dissipates fairly quickly but leaves thin lacing in the form of rings.

S: Nose is full of saltpeter. You can sense the smokiness right away. Also some notes of roasty chocolate malts.

T: Not at all like the aroma. I get quite a bit of fruit--cherries, figs. Otherwise coffee and some bitterness. The smoke doesn't appear until the finish and it lingers a bit after but not at all overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with a good share of carbonation.

D: Definitely high but if you don't like lingering smoke then you might disagree. Low ABV makes this a reasonable beer to double up on. That and the good flavor and aroma.

Notes: Freshness date 2/18/2010. Had it at the end of the suggested period but that didn't seem to detract from the experience.

02-19-2010 00:26:33 | More by ocbears
GusDom

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Well, this wonderful beer was on sale at my local Binny's unbeknown to me, so I told the cashier to wait while I grabbed another delicious bottle. I'm watching UFC Unleashed as I write this review and sip on this awesome beer.

The look is very nice, deep dark brown against the glass and slightly black in the center but still not as dark as I thought it would be, but still very nice. The head is very minimal but expected. The smell is very good. Dark chocolate, licorice, caramel, and dates fill my cognac glass. It's a wonderful smell because it doesn't tire the nose and it definitely doesn't get old. The taste is very good, dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee are big on the buds. The caramel and licorice play lesser roles in the taste but still provide some of the character of the porter. You get a little hoppy aftertaste, but it's minimal. Overall, I think I just fell in love.

This is a heavy bodied brew but still quite surprisingly pretty high on drinkability. I would definitely recommend this porter to anyone who enjoys great dark beers, or great beer for that matter. Enjoy!

10-07-2010 01:27:51 | More by GusDom
Invisoclam

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Very nice and not bitter. Compared to several other Stouts and porters that we recently purchased to "try". For this particular beer it seems that our tastes in the realm of the popular opinion, whether or not that is good thing remains to be seen - because everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes!

12-21-2010 00:05:23 | More by Invisoclam
MarkBeer

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

wow! what can I say? this beer lives up to its name as it is pretty smoky in both senses of smell and taste. the look is reminiscent of a stout. the foamy head dissipates sooner rather than later, but that could depend on how cold/warm this porter is in room tempurature. in this case, I poured it into a frosted mug.

according to some, just the name porter gives a bitter aftertaste in mind. this is not the case at all. this exceptional porter actually is quite creamy smooth and sweet. it gives a full taste and goes down smoothly.

available in Bevarages & More.

08-23-2005 03:46:04 | More by MarkBeer
KylightZone

Utah

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Served in a bomber
Poured into a pint glass

A: Dark color, with a nice wicked dark/ruby hue. Produced a 3/4 in brown head.

S: Off the nose I caught: Roasted Malts and some very light smoke at first. Followed by some sweet caramel malty goodness. Missing that kick of smoke I was expecting.

T: Roasted malts off the top, smoked taste and lightest hop bitterness rolls and lingers in the back of the palate. Sweet toffee coating in the finish.

M: I would call this one medium bodied, and easy drinking. Carbonation was a bit much.

This is a beer that I would not mind drinking again. Tossed a few down in the cellar.

03-24-2008 18:55:32 | More by KylightZone
Iloverasputin

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle in a tulip stout glass. Poured black in the center and deep red around the edges, had a nice fluffy head that sticks to the glass. Smelled like coffee, chocolate, smoked meat. Taste was like coffee, licorice, hint of raisin, malt, finishes dry with a little hop bitterness. Felt nice and round in my mouth. I would definitely buy this again.

04-16-2010 03:07:01 | More by Iloverasputin
MaineBeerGuy

Maine

Poured into Stone 12oz Shaker Glass.

Deep brown color, full tan head with good lacing on the glass.

Smooth beer with a slight bitterness, nice smokey flavor - not too overpowering. The smokiness is not very present in the nose. I would say it's a very good representation of the style and a beer worth checking out!

12-15-2010 23:40:08 | More by MaineBeerGuy
Codnasty

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark Brown with a Nice Chocolate colored Head

S- Raisins, with bits of chocolate and of course Smoke

T- Slightly Hoppy to start with a Mellow midle and a bitter finish

M- No carbonation which is good, some strong alcohol notes even thought its only 5.9%

D- About 1 or 2 of these is all I could get through (22oz bomber) Would have been better paired with some food but for $4.50 its a pretty good deal.

01-20-2011 05:21:43 | More by Codnasty
awesomeandrew

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

A: Very dark, almost black, thin head, very good lacing

S: You can definitely smell some chocolate, and can pick up some of the smoke smell

T: Very smooth porter, minimal hops, light smooth aftertaste which does not linger, biscuity. You can taste the smoke. A little bit of coffee and chocolate taste.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation

O: Love this one. One of the best porters I have had. Anytime I see this I will pick one up, it's that good. The taste is very unique. Really enjoyed this one.

06-19-2011 08:09:57 | More by awesomeandrew
tylerss20

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Wow. I finally tried this stuff. Picked up a bomber from Jasper’s in Nashua. Pours like oil, black and completely opaque. Cream colored one finger head that recedes quickly. Vanilla, caramel, coffee, and maybe licorice (?) in the aroma. Full bodied mouthfeel, roasty malt character, chocolate, medium sweetness, smokiness, and just a bit of hop on the backend. This was a great brew, and replaces Anchor as my favorite porter.

11-09-2011 16:21:59 | More by tylerss20
tbbrown

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Tasted on-tap at Trappeze Pub at the Stone releasing party; pint glass.

A: Dark mahogany with ruby hues and finger-width, tan, foamy head, which retained well

S: Strong roasted, smoked coffee, malts; very earthy, a bit spicy

T: Earthy and roasted, smoky flavor(as the name suggests). A bit spicy toward the end.

M: Very light; low carbonation

D: Good

Great beer, so glad Stone is in town!

09-25-2008 15:16:50 | More by tbbrown
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.