Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,770 | Hads: 4,001
3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Black to very dark brown on the edges. An off white head that holds like a nice crown on top.

S: Dark and chocolaty. Im pulling some smoky/roasted characters out of the nose, but nothing overpowering.

T: Not bad, but nothing realy dominating the flavor. Somewhat Roasted with some bitterness in there. Its almost like the flavors are hiding like when you drink a beer too cold, but this baby was pulled up from the cellar at 55 degrees so that cant be the problem here.

M: Thinner than I'd like.

Overall not the best porter I've had, but this is my first smoked porter and I'm curious to try others. I'd love to drink this with some smoked pork ribs as I'm betting it'd be great with anything bbq'd. (714 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle purchased from La Jolla BevMo. Poured into the trusty ole Guinness shaker pint (someone buy me a tulip).

A: Looks black. Only when held directly up to light can you see subtle shades of ruby peering through the glass. Lovely big head foams up, sticks around for the duration as more than adequate lacing.

S: I am going to avoid the typical "smokey smell" diatribe. It does smell good though. A little vanilla, a lot of coffee, maybe some smooth caramel too.

T: A tangy bit more bittersweet than I anticipated. Sits well on the tongue however, and by the end is more smooth by half.

M: A little more carbonated/bubbly on the tongue than I would have preferred. Doesn't detract too much from an otherwise excellent porter though.

D: Could easily finish a bomber myself. *hic* Absurdly low ABV compared to some of the monsters I've had recently. (854 characters)

A- Deep Brown with and amber frame. Thin light beige head which is very bubbly. Dissipates rather quickly.

S- Good amount of smoke and sweet malts. Hints of chocolate and vanilla.

T- Very smokey backed by sweet malts. Hints of chocolate, caramel, some dark fruits, touch of hops to finish.

M- Smooth, medium bodied, decently carbonated.

D- Easy to drink, very satisfying. Another good offering from Stone. (410 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great beer for beer geeks, and perhaps why I like it. The nose is just so intriguing. I could spend hours sniffing this one. On first sniff I got charcoal and smoke. Then I stuck my schnozz in there again and smelled some dark fruit, then some wood, then licorice and herbs, then some pine needle, then some smoked salt, then....well, I could go on and on. The nose is so complex you can dig-out all kinds of aromas. Like I said, a beer geek's beer - you could study this one for hours. Some may be turned off by this one, but I find it really fun. The mouthfeel is perfectly porter - light, dancing, but still bursting with flavor. The palate mirrors the nose, and leaves a nice, complex, lingering aftertaste. Again, not one for everyone, but a great brew for the adventuresome. (790 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Poured a very dark brown that you can just barely see through. One finger of tan to light brown head which appears very foamy and fluffy but recedes quickly leaving a fair bit of lacing.

S: Very very subtle smells here, roasted nuts and obviously a bit of smokiness, but I'm not getting much from the smell at all. Maybe it was just my nose at the time.

T: Obviously some smokiness, and woodiness, but it's very subtle as in the smell. I taste light grains and a little bit of floral hops, and some light fruit and candy notes in there also. As with the smell, all the flavors in here seem to be extremely subtle, but very very nice.

M: Light and crisply carbonated, yet heavy and tongue coating enough to get by as a porter. A little light for my taste, but nice.

D: I could drink a bunch of these, and with the price tag there's no reason not to. I'd choose this over a Yuengling Porter any day of the week. Smooth, refreshing, light, yet heavy enough for those who rebel against fizzy yellow beers with multi-million dollar ad campaigns (Please refer to the label on a bottle of Arrogant Bastard) (1,106 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -42.1%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself. (998 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dark Deep Brown/Black in color with thin tan head
S: Smoke, Malt, Dark Cocoa
T: Follows the nose, with a tiny bit of dark fruits
M: smooth, almost a little thin for what it should be
O: Pretty good beer overall. Very good if you like porters (244 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a pint into an over-sized wine glass.

A: Dark brown, sticky. Thin viscosity. Frothy-whitish foam, but not much of it.

S: Pretty mild smelling; hints of malt, molasses, chocolate, soy sauce.

T: Lingers in your mouth similar to a burnt sugar flavor. This would go well with Korean BBQ. The smoke isn't overwhelming and adds to the complex, unusually dry flavor profile. This porter goes from sweet to bitter the longer it stays in your mouth.

M: Not much head. Light carbonation.

O:This is a solid porter with complex flavor. A really solid brew from Stone. Can't go wrong with it.

Serving type: bottle (624 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

I don't have massive porter experience, but I am a huge Deschutes Black Butte Porter fan, and after grabbing a 12-pack of that at Bevmo I decided to throw a pounder of Stone's Smoked Porter into the basket. I love Stone's IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard... so I figured what the heck.

A - Not a huge head, but did get some nice protein lacing on the way through. Less opaque than Black Butte.

S - Burnt alcohol, a little malt?

M - A little more "watery" than I've used to.

T - Wood, black cherry, burnt alcohol.

D - This was a one-timer for me, although it wasn't painful by any means. (591 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego! (601 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle in a pint glass.

Appearance:
Very dark black with about 1/4" medium colored head that the beer retains for a short period of time.

Smell:
Very strong malty smell of chocolate with a hint of smokiness to it with a slight hint of roasted coming through.

Taste:
A bit light at first but then a strong bitterness comes through with the malts that leaves a somewhat dry aftertaste with a slight sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel:
Feels light bodied, slightly watery but is incredibly smooth but with a possible hint of overcarbonation.

Drinkability:
This beer is very easy to drink but the taste of it leaves you desiring slightly more to it-it has a bit of blandness to it. I would probably drink another given its smoothness. (747 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this smoked porter. Reminds me of sitting with friends around a bonfire. It's very simple, and definitely a go to beer. Not to complex but very friendly to the senses! Poured very smooth. Light hints of bitter chocolate and dark coffee. (253 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

The good news is that finally Stone is available in New Jersey,so I was eager to try this beer.The beer itself (22oz bottle) was a dark brown to black color,almost cola looking,with a small tan head that quickly dissappeared.The aromas were slight hints of chocolate and coffee.Those aromas were also in the taste as well as black licorice and you could definetly get the taste of smoke,especially in the nice finish.This is a very unique offering from Stone,but something you should surely check out. (501 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours reddish brown with 1 to 2 finger head. Head has staying power.

Smell:s like coffee and something bitter sweet like moxie.

Taste : coffee and melted sugar. smoked porter is apt. something mellow. campfire roasted marshmallow and cocoa, but much heavier.

mouthfeel : satin with a small nip at the tip of your tongue. nice. (331 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Once again Stone has the head that won't quit. Beautiful lacing all the way to the end.Has a smokey charcoal aroma with a hint of peat. Carbonation is just perfect and such a smooth feel on the tongue. Here's where it gets interesting. Shared this with two friends and they just kept going back and forth on the flavors that kept coming through. Roasted, toasted barley, hops comes to the palate for a brief visit only to be replaced with perhaps a caramel but I think chocolate. Stone just keeps our minds working with the combinations of flavors in all of their brews. Definely one of the best Porters I've ever had. If you missed this one, you're missing the boat!!! (669 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at Old Chicago Downtown Denver.

Nice dark color with tight thick head. Sublte smokey aroma with a smooth balanced malty flavor. A great find on tap, very drinkable. Stopped in after GABF Saturday session, I hope it's still on after the weekend festivities. (267 characters)

A - Poured black with a slight tan head. Laces well.

S - Caramel malts. Smoke is not overpowering.

T - Starts malty, with caramel. Chocolate & slight licorice. Smoke shows up in the aftertaste. A bit raw.

M - Good carbonation. Not as creamy as other porters, but the small, almost non-existant head has something to do with it.

D - Lower alchohol% (5.7) makes it repeatable, but since it has a quite strong smokey aftertaste, I will want to finish it up w/ something hoppy. Would pair well w/ fruit. (505 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

Really dark colour with a small amount of head that disappeared rather quickly. Left a fair amount of lacing on the side.

Smells roasty with a faint hint of maltiness. Extremely charred malty, coffee-like flavour with a great deal of warm bitterness in the finish; a little bit dry. Smooth as silk.

Loved this beer, great stuff!! (331 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%

I have to be honest. I was drawn to this beer by the price as much as I was by the reputation. Actually, the reputation of Stone is good beer at a reasonable price, so I am right on the money, so to speak. The appearance of this porter is very dark, almost a deep purple when pouring. It produced a thick, light-colored head, which in turn produced a thick patterned lace. The smell was average, above average for porters. Faint hints of chocolate, and coffee can be detected if you strain your nose. But the taste is where this beer shines. The start is full of chocolate and coffee, with a nice full-bodied mouthfeel. The finish reveals a nice light slight bitter smokiness that mingles with the coffee still on the palate. In all this porter is a very drinkable session beer, that would go with just about any meal. Seriously. (829 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Dark brown yet not quite black. Somewhere around Coca-Cola.

Smell: Plenty of coffee aromas and some chocolate.

Taste: Unlike the Imperial Russian Stout, this brew yells out "Coffee!" to me. I also sense some hoppy flavor and a good bit of chocolate, yet the main power of this brew is the coffee.

Mouthfeel: As a porter should feel: not as thick as a stout, but still plenty thick.

Drinkability: It's great for hopheads like me to find a brew like this to break up my hop-craving ways. In the middle of a night of drinking, or towards the end, I will break out a bomber of this to totally jarr my palate. It's always a delightful switch. (661 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Got this in a big bottle, 22 oz., and was expecting something a bit different. Drank it in a frosted 12 oz. standard beer glass and maybe it was overall too cold. Body was rich and thick with a great thick head like a porter should be. Taste was very chocolately and malty without much smoke at all. Very easy drinking porter in a perfect size for sharing. (356 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

I believe that the specifics have been covered. Would just like to state that being a dreaded "Dark Beer" as some of my friends would call it, My best friend and my girlfriend, neither beer drinkers have had this beer (more of a vodka drink style). Loved this beer! I've happy to be there to see the looks on their faces when the just realized that not all beers are terrible! oh yea.

Pours a beautiful dark auburn. nice creamy head with light lacing. smell of sweet with notes of bitter chocolate. first taste is suprising. slightly sweet. not overly "dark beer" tasting. very clean finish. medium bodied that lingers on the palate just long enough pick up the docile flavors that this brew offers. chocolate, coffee, slight dark fruit and some dark malts really come together well in the beer. (797 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Very dark brown, almost black. The head rises about two fingers and is a nice khaki color. It dissipates fairly quickly but leaves thin lacing in the form of rings.

S: Nose is full of saltpeter. You can sense the smokiness right away. Also some notes of roasty chocolate malts.

T: Not at all like the aroma. I get quite a bit of fruit--cherries, figs. Otherwise coffee and some bitterness. The smoke doesn't appear until the finish and it lingers a bit after but not at all overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with a good share of carbonation.

D: Definitely high but if you don't like lingering smoke then you might disagree. Low ABV makes this a reasonable beer to double up on. That and the good flavor and aroma.

Notes: Freshness date 2/18/2010. Had it at the end of the suggested period but that didn't seem to detract from the experience. (874 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - Pours a very dark almost black with a large tan head; great lacing and retention.

S - Chocolate and toasted malts.

T - Very rich malt, dark chocolate; Slightly sweet, with a pleasant smoky taste and after taste.

M - Very smooth with medium to highly carbonated.

D - Great drinkability. (339 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Last week I paired a big bottle of this fine porter with some steaks that my mother-in-law grilled. It reinforced the meal nicely.

A-Beautiful, in the space where brown and black meet; one finger head, no lacing

S-Roasted malt, mild hops, chocolate, mesquite

T-BBQ meat smoked for some time, chocolate and coffee

M-Smooth, slight snap of bubbles

O-This will be a go to porter for me at any grilled red meat experience; the smoke action is really terrific, hats off to Stone for another great one (500 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.