Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Dark brown, almost black with ruby highlights around the edges, and a rocky tan cocoa powder like head.
Raisins and a sublte smokiness in the nose.
Roast flavors, espresso coffee, bittersweet chocolate, all meld into raisins and a mild smoky flavor. Mellow and smooth.

xgrigorix, Jun 23, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Pours a very deep brown color with ruby highlights. A rather creamy, milk chocolate colored head sticks around for a good while, leaving impressive sheets of lace as it recedes. Not as rocky and pitting as some other porter heads, but still nice.

S: Chocolate malts and a strong smokiness that is akin to (oddly enough) smoked salmon (as opposed to the bacon-like aroma one gets from rauchbiers). Aroma could be a bit stronger and perhaps more complex, but it's still pleasant.

T&M: As is the norm with Stone, the flavor is big, bold, and punches you right in the face. Roasted malt flavors with notes of charcoal, chocolate, some caramel/toffee, and a touch of herbal hop flavor. The finish is long and lightly smoky, toasty, and hoppy. Solid flavor profile. The body is full like a stout with creamy mouthfeel. I've docked the score a bit because I prefer my porters to be medium bodied and more drinkable. If they wanted to make a beer this heavy, just call it a smoked stout and darken the beer a touch.

D: It's heavier than most porters, which kind of negates the positives of drinking a porter. I like porters because they pack a lot of bold malty flavor while still being drinkable and sessionable. Still, Stone's porter is a top-notch beer that I wouldn't mind trying again, but not if I'm really craving a true porter.

BamaBeerBuff, Nov 17, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

hawkmage, Dec 31, 2011

ATXRyan, Nov 17, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a rich, dark brown black color with a foamy light tan/cream head. Good, not great, head retention and lacing.

S - Smelled deep, smoked malts. Faint trace of hops in the smell. It was an excellent, if singular, smell.

T - The roasted/smoked malts really hit you up front (some coffee flavors, perhaps). There's a bit of boozyness in the taste as well, but nothing distracting. There are some hop flavors as well.

M - Medium to full bodied; carbonation levels are nice. Smooth aftertaste, which is nice considering the smoked malts...very easy-drinking.

O - I enjoyed the Stone Smoked Porter, it's another unique beer from Stone. It's brings a little bit of complexity to a standard style. While I like some of their offerings better (they are one of my top 3 breweries), I would have definitely have it again!

WMEugene, Oct 26, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

chugamugofsud, Feb 22, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a very dark brown with a ruby middle with a brown medium bodied head.
Smells got some smoked malt quality, maybe some dark chocolate.
Taste has a smoked booze flavor with and some dark/bitter chocolate malt.
Finish is a bit muddy, but there is a decent malted after-taste.
Drinks very smoothly, the smoked quality is not as noticeable but it is light bodied enough to be near sessionable.

ThaBobfather, Jul 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Black as night

Head: Nice dark tan head but dissipates quickly

Smell: Little malty with subtle hops

Taste: Dark grains with a subtle caramel on the backend

Weight: Medium to light body with a low to medium carbonation

Finish: Smokey malts

Snow81, Apr 06, 2011

mater, Nov 14, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Virtually black. Pours a thick three finger head with some hints of chocolate.

Aroma: Roasted malt, toasty. Deep and satisfying, but not smoke as far as I can tell.

Taste: Lovely malt attack! Rich chocolate, espresso, and roasted coffee & malts. Some toasty characteristics from the smoking, but it's not "smoky" as such. Very tasty though.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, medium bodied.

Overall: This is an excellent, robust porter, although I'm surprised about the relative lack of smoke. For the style, the points come down a little bit because of the lack of smoke, but as a porter this is very good indeed.

Arborescence, Apr 18, 2012

JesseLara, Jul 18, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

This was my 1st stone I ever tried, so i figure it's time to review it

Nice lace once poured. Good look, descent smell. There was the hint of raosted malts in the after taste, and smoke was theree, just not the way I expected. The dominant flavor had to be the bitterness from the hops. Reminded me of arrogant bastard that way. The creamy ness come in full effect after the bittnerness. I wish they would sacrifice the bitterness for more of the roasted flavor, but it is still a good beer. enjoy!

PSUDREW, Sep 01, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a dark brown to black color with red highlights, producing a generous brown head that retains nicely and leaves a lot of lacing.

Aroma is a little masked but some hints of roasted malt and a very faint hint of smoke can be detected.

Taste reveals notes of caramel, roasted nuts, and light touches of chocolate. There is a slight smokiness upfront but not nearly as prevalent as you may expect.

Smooth mouthfeel but lacking in body just a little. Overall this was good to try but the "smoked" part wasn't pulled off quite as well as I was hoping. My feelings are a little mixed on this one. As far as porters go, this is really good, but if I was picking out of Stone's lineup, this would not be one of my first choices. Rating to style, I really can't complain so I'm sure I would pick this up again if I was in the mood for it.

Vengeance526, Sep 06, 2009

TheBronze, Nov 19, 2011

Jason_Quad, Jul 09, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Drank a 22 oz. bomber by myself (woohoo!). Decanted into a pint glass. It's a completely opaque black with a sticky white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Light coffee aromas, bit of roasted grains. A touch smoky. Not as strong as I would have liked.

Flavors of dark coffee and dark chocolate. Nice smoky quality. Touch of syrup.

Lighter in body than I expected. Nice and smooth.

Very drinkable porter. None of the flavors or aromas are super notable, but they mesh together well.

ndekke39, Mar 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

A light khaki decent size head. A dark ruby red body. I can see some bubbles.

I'm kind of shocked on the way of smell here. All I smell is a very light smokiness, light hops and malts. Nothing really that great.

A decent body... Somewhat thick which is good for a porter. Not much carbonation and smooth. Leaves the mouth slightly dry.

You definitely can notice the nice smokiness with the first sip. It's a little bitter. The dark malts and even the somewhat spicy hops make its presence known. The spice isn't ass-kicking in any way but there's a subtle hint of it. A slight coffee taste from the dark malts. I like it. There really isn't an alcohol taste to it; which is good because I've noticed that a lot with other Stone Brewery offerings.

Drink Ability: for a porter I can drink this all night. Don't know how I'd feel in the morning, doesn't really matter because I wake up in the afternoon anyway.

9InchNails, Nov 12, 2010

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

ronin926, Sep 04, 2013

n2pux, Dec 24, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

This was a gift from my brother to replace one my friend from college drank by himself despite my paying for half of it and all the vermouth for that night. Wow what a head of tan... on a football colored beer. Smell was like chocolate coffee. Tastes was chocolatety and perhaps a hint of cherry. Was quite a thick beer too. Went down easy, could have easily drank the bottle myself. Never been disappointed by stones before and this beer wasn't the exception.

hdofu, Jun 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Jet black with creamy mocha head. Plenty of lacing left behind.

Aroma was bitter coffee. Bit of earthy hops. Not much smoke presence.

Taste was that of a solid porter with just a hint of smoke. I was surprised by the subdued nature of the smoke. Usually Stone is pushing some limits. I found this to be a surprisingly low-key beer. Well, brewed, decent flavors, but subdued.

Mouthfeel was good. More ale like than stout like, making this a fairly easy to drink beer. It just wasn't a beer I was excited to drink.

mklinger, Oct 02, 2010

Bsetz, Oct 03, 2013
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.