Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,775 | Hads: 4,018
3.71/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours black with garnet highlights and a chunky tan head that recedes into a thick blanket of foam and sticky lacing. Smells of sweet roasted coffee and chocolate malts on a vaguely spicy base. Flavor starts with evenly toasted sweet malts. Slowly develops more rounded roasted and slightly smoked qualities Finishes with a lasting and nicely drying burnt toast bitterness. Mouthfeel is slightly prickly from the carbonation; smooth and creamy, if perhaps a touch light.

A relatively light and refreshing, but not superlative porter. Aroma and flavor are restrained overall, but the finish is *very* well executed. Would make a nice session porter. (651 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

02/06/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in Colma, CA

Presentation- 22oz bottle shared with BA mates at my Super Bowl party yesterday. Divided into Duvel glasses. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Nice semi-black pour with a yellow-grayish head and good lacing.

Smell- Smells sweeter than I expected and the smoke is not noticable to me in the smell. Smells more like a imperial stout to me.

Taste- First off, I usually despise smoked beers. The only reason I got this is that I know Stone makes great beers and I know BA buddy Spinlock like smoked beers. So, I figured, what the hell. I only have to drink a portion of it. Much creamier than I expected for a less than 6% brew. Has a nice chocolate and roasted malt flavor. Then the smoke hits in the back of the mouth and aftertaste. Not too bad! I'll have to give it to Stone. I can actually tolerate this and even enjoy it a bit. I'm not going to buy another, but it was pretty good considering.

Mouthfeel- As I said before, very creamy and also low-medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Yeah, not bad at all. I would definitely suggest this one to smoke lovers. It has enough taste going on with the smoke to make it feel like your not sucking down liquid charcoal or burnt bacon like other smoke beers I have had. About the same as AK Smoked Porter. I'll have to try that one again and rate it. (1,376 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Deliberately poured with three fingers of desert sand colored foam, this baby looks beautiful residing in a footed Belgian tulip glass. When held to the brightest of light, the color is a resounding quality mahogany with perfect clarity. Lacing comes in over the 85th percentile...beautiful!

The nose needed a little coaxing...but it decanted at 43°, more than a tad low for both the style and pedigree. As a more appropriate temperature was achieved, what emerged was a chocolate profile with a roasted malty depth.

The initial taste reveals a most wonderful dryness which begins with a tongue-dance performed by the just-right level of carbonation. Deep roasted grains then take over providing a wonderful depth and creamy mouthfeel only to be outdone by the finish of light smoke, hop bite, and slow malty fade.

I'd love the opportunity to sample this complimented with salami or sausage incorporated into lasagna or pizza. (937 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a very dark brown, nearly black color. Looked like liquid molasses, topped by a layer of creamy tan foam. The aroma has soft dark toffee notes with some sweet brown sugar. The taste is bitter with touches of roasted smoke. The smoke in this beer is really subdued and pleasant unlike the morning after campfire I was expecting. Creamy and roasted body which is generally smooth and solid. An assertive porter with some nice subtle enhancements. Very enjoyable. (467 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

57.5F.
Dark, dark - pinot? It's got that beautiful odd, burnt sienna color from smokey malts as I pour. It cascades (!!!), a big bonus. Froth sits on top like a toasted marshmallow. It's resting in the mug dark with a pinot glow.
Smells like a dark, sweet cigar.
Ummm. Raspberries crushed with the burnt end of a fire poking stick made out of the tip of a Christmas tree. Chew on some pine sap, nibble on some rosemary, and nosh on some organic spinach. Finishes with herbal minerals, hence the spinach. It's got a silky mouthfeel to it, and - marshmallowy. Dang, that's good. It makes me want to grill an assinine-ly huge ribeye, and serve it with a side of pintos, and smokey New Mexican red chile. (703 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

My first Stone Ale and well worth the wait it's taken to try one.

Apperarance: Black with a very full and very lingering head. If looks could kill, this beer would be on death row right about now.

smell: Chocolate first and foremost. There is also just the slightest hint of smoke to be found.

taste: Again I'm getting chocolate above anything else, but the coffee undertones are still there in force and the smoky aspect.... not too strong not too faint, just about perfect.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and the smoke seems to be more noticable than in the taste alone or the smell. Still not overpowering by any means, but more assertive and ready to scare off all those "yellow fizzy" beer drinkers.

drinkability: Could see myself very easily having a couple bombers back to back of this majestic brew. Can only speak for myself, but it lives up to any hype it's been given and then some. (900 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours witha large tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving a ton of lacing. A beautiful dark brown with a ruby tint, slight bit of chill haze.

Nice hop bouquet, lots of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke.

Tastes of roasted and chocolate malts, lots of piney hops, big hop profile, smokey undertones, and finishes with a nice bitter hoppiness.

Good carbonation and medium to heavy body. (411 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Still working my way through my Christmas gifts. This beers is so dark, no light could penetrate it. I was bored so held a flashlight behind the pint glass and (mostly due to the glare around the edge's of the glass) swear no light made it through. A thinlayer of head eventually forms on the top of the beer and incredibly sticky lace clung to the edges of the glass. The aroma is of a fire that had you wake up to the next morning and all you smell is the wet charred wood. The flavor is of charred malts and charred wood. Almost as if I licked the inside of a wodd-burning kettle. So good. IT wafts uo the back of the nose. There are also very deep notes of dark chocolate wrapped into the beer. It would make a great tasting beer, but if you're working through a variety of beers, make sure it is toward the end because you will not be able to taste much afterwards. (870 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer pours a deep brown, almost black with a ring of head over top of the beer. The nose is only slightly smokey, and mostly chocolate. The flavor has a bit more smokey flavor than the nose would tell, but still the chocolate and roasted tones dominate. The feel is moderate. I would like to have a little thicker or creamier bit to it. I like it, but this is no Alaskan Smoked Porter. (389 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cracking open a deuce reveals a velvety smooth black brew with a frothy light khaki colored head. Hints of garnet when held to the light. Nice sticky lacing. Aroma is full roasted grain, with no shortage of coffee and chocolate. Hints of molasses and other dark things are also present. This wonderful flavor comes on smooth as silk, dripping with fat malts. Roasted grain presence steadily increases, till the flavor is chock full of it. Hints of bitter chocolate and truck stop coffee float around, seeking attention. The smoke I was looking for comes in towards the end and really stands out in the finish, leaving a semi-dry roasted flavor. Smoked malts really add a fine touch to this robust brew. Mouthfeel is pretty full for a porter, which is good - it helps to back up this bold flavor. Hella drinkable, not too heavy or alcoholic, but that smokiness is just so damn enticing. Thanks Stone for giving us one hell of a session porter. (942 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Upon pouring there is a generous and creamy head. This beer also leaves wonderful lace along the glass. Tone is extremely dark brown with a tan head. Shines wonderfully in the light.

Smell: The aroma has malty roasted notes, superb.

Taste: Strong upfront malty coffee and chocolate notes. Beautifully done. Alcohol character is present, but does not dominate. Final flavor is fruity.

Mouthfeel: Just right, not too light or heavy. Makes for a very smooth beer with carbonation that tingles just enough. (523 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a very dark, almost black, brown, with an hint of translucency ( I could see the shadow of my fingers on the other side of the glass). I picked up a slight smoky aroma from the bottle. The creamy tan head stayed a 1/4 inch thick till the bitter end. And that's my only negative. As smooth and creamy as this beer looks, and feels in the mouth, I was taken by surprise by the bitter bite. Not a complaint, just unexpected. Now that I am expecting it, I will enjoy this beer. (480 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

I expected more of a smoked flavour much like Alaskan but this really a big Porter with smoky undertones. The beer is black like a moonless night with a tan head. The nose is pure malt with a peaty tang. The first sip is smooth and chocolatey with lots of body. A huge beer considering the relatively low alcohol( by Stone's standards). I started to sip this beer to enjoy the nuances inherent in its finish. (408 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

This is one dark porter! A big tan creamy head tops my glass and holds strong. Coco on the nose. Hey what do you know, I smell some smoke as well. Taste is smooth with a slight coffee flavor along with that coco from the nose. Then it gets bitter, not hop bitterness but smoke bitterness which I like. This transition is kinda rough, taking away from mouthfeel and drinkability. (378 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

What a pleasant surprise! Stone’s Smoked Porter pours a dark, rich brown with a creamy caramel-tan head. The color is so deep that it’s nearly opaque.

The aroma is pleasing and downright comforting – a subtle smokiness hints at a cozy night in front of a roaring fire, which is exactly how I enjoyed mine.

The taste is complex without being fussy, and has a pleasing toasted malt flavor that’s not too sweet, with a nicely hopped finish. Rather than assault the palate, the smoke flavor is subtle but present in every sip, just as the aroma wafts from the glass. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, with just enough effervescence to keep it interesting as the brew warms.

Took “the Bros.” advice and chose this porter to go along with a real down-home meal. Not only did it stand up well to southern-styled favorite of fried chicken, greens and cornbread, but the smoky flavor made for a nice finish to a simple yet flavorful meal. (938 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Comes in a 22 oz. bomber, with a nice little paragraph about the gargoyle. Pours a very deep brown with just the tiniest hints of red poking through. A nice chocolate head tops it off with some very pretty lacing. Smells incredibly chocolately, with just a little hint at espresso. Tastes almost like a stout, only more chocolate. Nice coffee bean notes. A fabulous tasting brew to say the least. Nice and chewy in the mouth, with a suprising amount of hops rounding it off. The aftertaste stays for hours. A very drinkable beer, especially since t's only 5.9% ABV. A great brew indeed. My first shot at a Stone offering. Now on to the Arrogant Bastard... (655 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours very "imperial"-like. Black and with a nice pillowy tan head. Looks great in my brandy snifter.

Smell: Chocolate and espresso. But definitely more towards the chocolate end of things. Not hugely over powering but nice.

Taste: The taste reminds me of baker's chocolate. There is some bitterness up front (I'm assuming that's the "smoke" flavor they are going for...which I would agree is present), some chocolate throughout the middle, and just a touch of sweetness (more along the lines of a latte..so it's sweet but definitely not overdone) to finish. There is a definite "smoke" aftertaste that clings to my tongue. A pretty complex brew overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and slick. I would expect a little more creaminess for a porter. But I liked it.

Drinkability and overall: A cool rendition of a porter. I really enjoy my porters and although I've had better, this is a good one to try. (923 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

This was an exceptional smoked beer. Let me say that the smoke taste is more on the subtle side. It is the session smoked porter, so to speak. And it is exceptional.

It came with no head, but that could be due to how it was poured. You can pick up a little of the smoke in the smell, but not too much. The taste is wonderful. A great porter taste with a little bit of smoke underneath. I don't know whether it deserves a 5 or not, but it is borderline. Good carbonation. It has very good mouthfeel, and the carbonation slightly tickles the tongue without being too much.

So very drinkable. I'm very glad I could get a hold of it. (635 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Dark brown yet not quite black. Somewhere around Coca-Cola.

Smell: Plenty of coffee aromas and some chocolate.

Taste: Unlike the Imperial Russian Stout, this brew yells out "Coffee!" to me. I also sense some hoppy flavor and a good bit of chocolate, yet the main power of this brew is the coffee.

Mouthfeel: As a porter should feel: not as thick as a stout, but still plenty thick.

Drinkability: It's great for hopheads like me to find a brew like this to break up my hop-craving ways. In the middle of a night of drinking, or towards the end, I will break out a bomber of this to totally jarr my palate. It's always a delightful switch. (661 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours from the bomber a deep black with a small tan head forming. Hints of red try to peek out of the edges when help up to the light. The smell is roasty with chocolatey tones wafting in. Some hops and smoky notes are present as well. Quite unique.

The first sip hits upfront with a some nice roasted barley and chocolate tones. Creamy flavors are present along with quite a noticeable smoke flavor on the back of the palate. This is one of the most interesting porters I have yet to try. The smoky taste lingers in my mouth after each sip.

Mouthfeel is good and right on for the style. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability on this one is good, however I can't see myself having many. The smoky flavor doesn't really do it for me. However, it is easy to drink and is totally worth a try. Thank to ppoitras for the chance to try this intirguing brew. (870 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this out of a 22 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass. Typical sweet looking bottle with Stone logo on front.

Appearance is a dark black. No light is getting through this beer. Looks like a stout. Off brown head on top. Beautiful sticky lacings cling to the sides of the pint glass.

This porter smells creamy. Aroma smells like a dairy creamer.

This is a robust and tasty porter. Sweet and creamy with a rich, roasted malt flavor. This is certainly a smokey quality to each sip that works perfectly with the sweetness.

Another Stone classic. I have yet to be let down by this brewery. Very enjoyable and tasty. (636 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

this beer poured a deep amber almost black, good head, and retention. smell was fruity and malty, taste was a pleasant mix of malt, fruity notes,a bit of chocolate, very smooth. subtle smokiness. Mouthfeel was a bit chewy, creamy, and medium carbonated. drinkability, for me is high! This stuff rocks! I've read some lukewarm reviews, but I think this is the shznit! really good stuff, highly recomended!!! (406 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very deep brown, almost opaque, with about an inch of tan head. Head receded to some nice lacing around my glass.
Aroma is of roasted malts and sweeter notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Also maybe some fruits. Wonderful bouquet, made me very anxious to take my first gulp.
The taste is very big, and huge flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a well-balanced kick of hops and smoke in the end.
Mouthfeel is very rich and smooth
I enjoyed this bottle entirely to the end but the heaviness and being paired with my supper would make it hard to drink a whole lot more.

Stone did a great job here to create a big porter, Great, will buy again (671 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours with a rich and thick head about 2 inches on top. It cascades bubbles for a good minute then becomes nice and stiff. Color is an incredibly dark amber/brown.

The aroma is potent. I didn't even need to stick my nose in the glass to get the first wiff. Aroma is malty, chocolate and coffee in nature with alcohol and citrus blooms.

It tastes just like it smells. Burnt malty taste with hints of port wine flavor in a creamy base. Tails off at the end to a softer flavor. As it warms from fridge temp more complex flavors emerge but I just don't know the appropriate description for them.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Lots of bubbles cascading over the tongue but it does not have the sharp carbonation feel of a soda. Very gentle.

As far as drinkability goes, I can drink this beer all night. It's a great porter to use to introduce the style to someone who is unfamiliar with great brews and the porter style. (921 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

From recently discovered notes: Dark chocolate brown, with scarlet edges when held up to the light. The head is thick and khaki coloured, it lasts for a while and leaves some decent lacing on my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. The aroma is of chocolate and caramel malts, roasted malts, starbucks coffee, and a bit of smoke. The taste is malty up front with some lovely chocolate and coffee notes in the middle. The smoke is subtle compared to other smoke beers, but it is very enjoyable as well. The mouthfeel is very creamy and s-m-o-o-t-h and the drinkability is good as well. Another awesome, but subdued, stone brew! (618 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.