Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%

Falls flat for me. Not a bad beer, but lacking in flavor. Pours a dark brown to black, ruby on the edges, with a small white head. Aroma is rather bland, with only slight evidence of roast or smoke, not much else to detect. Flavor continues with very little chocolate or coffee flavor, a bit watered down in flavor. Cant get much of the smoke here. Palate is thin for what I expected to be a bold porter and the great things I heard. Just okay for me, and wish this had a bit more flavor to it.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Serving type: 22-ounce bomber. The “ENJOY BY” date is “01.19.13.”

Appearance: Straight pour into a Smoked Porter pint glass. The color is, as the label suggests, dark mahogany. Two fingers of thick, tan head dissipated slowly and unevenly, leaving trails of foam along the sides.

Smell: The smokiness is present but muted. It is hanging around in the background behind dark chocolate, roasted malts, espresso, caramel, and vanilla that is reminiscent of cream soda. As the beer warms, the smokiness does become a little more prominent.

Taste: The smokiness makes its mark on the flavor, though I get the sense it is more like a barrel-aged quality. However, it does have that campfire or wood-burning stove quality. It complements flavors of roasted malts, chocolate, and a hint of espresso. The smokiness and roasted malts offer a nice bitterness that coats the mouth after each sip.

Drinkability: It is pretty solid stuff. It does not necessarily blow me away, and I was expecting something better, but it is very good nonetheless.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle to tulip. Served cool. Drank half with a roast chicken and roast vegetables and half by itself. Went fine with the food.

A - 4.5 - Dark chocolate brown. Beautiful textured cream head.

S - 3.5 - Surprisingly I don't get much smoke. Just a bit. As others have said, a bit of an earthy note and some coffee grounds.

T - 4.0 - Sort of mild up front, but a char character comes through a little while after swallowing. The aftertaste is where it's most prevalent. The slightest hint of baker's chocolate bleeding into the char. Boozy exhale.

M - 3.5 - Medium-light bodied. I'd like a bit more but then I guess I want it to be an imperial stout, which isn't exactly fair.

O - 4.0 - I guess I was expecting more smoke, maybe something closer to rauchbier levels. But the imperial stouts I've been drinking have about the same char character. I find myself wishing this would just bring the rest of it and go ahead and be bolder and be an imperial stout already. With that said, it's still very well done. And I like the charry aftertaste. If I forget about what it's advertised as and what I wish it would be, it comes out as a really well done beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.