1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,290 | Reviews: 1,724 | Show All Ratings:
NickHalden

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

Has a three finger head with a tan color that lasts for awhile. The smell is faint with smoked coffee and dark chocolate. The first taste that hits my tongue is the taste of smoked oak and roasted bitter coffee. There is hints of dried fruit and little dark chocolate. Overall I'm disappointed with this porter. It's not by any means bad but there are a lot better porters out there.

10-15-2013 04:55:25 | More by NickHalden
Glennlawless

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a 16oz Tulip.

A - Jet black..with a 3 finger beige head.

S - not getting too much off this...maybe a little coffee and chocolate...slight smoke.

T - much improvement since the nose. woody,bonfire,slight coffee and dark chocolate. mild bittering hops in the finish but diluted quick by rich malt and coffee like taste. bitterness slighhhtly sticks around but barely. maybe some dark fruit as well.

M - id give this a medium mouthfeel...lightly carbonated. ive had several ipas and dipas that are a lot creamier than this...you wouldnt guess this by the look of this beer.

Overall...this is a sipper and just try to enjoy it.... the smokyness is a really cool part of this beer and stone did it well...(yet again). get around a bonfire with a few friends and split a bomber. good and easy drinking.

10-13-2013 03:52:14 | More by Glennlawless
Aleks_P

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: When it poured I thought it would be transparent/translucent light brown, but ended up much darker, couldn't even tell if it was black or brown once it was in the glass. Two-inch tan foam head, had to wait a bit to top off my pint glass.

Smell: Didn't get much out of the smell, not the strong coffee notes you might get from a porter. Definitely picked up the smokiness, but aroma was not as strong as I expected.

Taste: While there was not much smell in my opinion, there is a lot of flavor. Hard to articulate the flavors because the smokiness is noticeable (in a good way), but pick up some of those coffee, chocolate and malt flavors you'd expect.

Mouthfeel: Pretty carbonated for such a heavy beer, but has a smoothness/creaminess to it. Good balance overall.

Overall: Good job bringing the smokiness in without completely dominating the beer. I've had smoked beers before that just tasted burnt and that wasn't the case here. I did not find this beer overly complex though. Good for the style and interesting but would have liked more noticeable hints of other flavors.

10-12-2013 02:09:10 | More by Aleks_P
Bockrules

New Mexico

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%

poured from the bomber into a pint glass

A - Pours a used motor oil black that goes to dark ruby when held to the light. Not much in the way of carbonation rising to the rocky, tan, three finger head. Head stays intact as a creamy cap all the way down the glass. Leaves behind several large splotches of lacing.

S - Smoked chocolate malt upon opening the bottle. In the glass, earthy hops and slightly bitter coffee ground become present.

T - Smoked chocolate malt and coffee grounds upfront. The body is light and moderately sweet with chocolate milk, slight dark fruit and a hint of caramel. Hop bitterness and candied plum dominate as the beer passes over the back of the tongue before a bitter chocolate, plum and black licorice finish.

M - Medium bodied with just enough carbonation to the give beer a rich, creamy body that still seems somewhat light on the tongue - like chocolate mouse. This is one of the best mouth feels I've had in a porter.

Picked a beer out of my collection to pair with my steak and to later review for my 26th birthday - this was a fantastic choice. Stone Smoked Porter does everything very well and the flavor and mouthfeel are phenomenal. This beer isn't a heavy or super rich beer like an imperial stout, rather is the signature chocolate moose of beers with a delicious yet complex flavor profile and a light, creamy mouthfeel. I could drink this beer all night, and am quite disheartened that I've finished off the bomber. Probably one of my all-time favorites, I better get this again!

10-08-2013 06:08:29 | More by Bockrules
Furlinator

3.64/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours nearly opaque dark brown with a thin white head that settles to a thin film on top that leaves faint spotty lace.

Smell is of smokey burnt wood, coffee and faint chocolate.

Taste is roasted malt, molasses and a hint of black coffee.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent enough porter but, after being exposed to some of Stone's other offerings, my expectations may have been a little high.

10-07-2013 08:34:28 | More by Furlinator
benfons

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: dark brown colour, huge cream coloured head

S: red forest fruits, malts, hint of wood and roasted almonds

T: chocolate, smokiness is subdued, hint of blackberry, loads of malts

M: creamy, not a lot of carbonation, smooth

O: this will never be my favourite style, but this isn't too bad, a little bit of smokiness but not too much

10-05-2013 20:56:36 | More by benfons
BeerWizard

Colorado

4.34/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a mason jar from a bomber, pours dark brown with almost half a glass of tan head. Bottle has an awesomely long explanation of the beer on the back which I am too lazy to read right now, but I appreciate the detail and will come back to it. Smells awesome, malty, nutty, wood smoke, musty tobacco - smells like your weird uncle's cabin in the woods. Flavor is so dark and smoky, adequately hopped, and lightly sweet. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and carbonation is light. I really like this beer, and I'm envisioning a number of future occasions where it would be appropriate, most involving outdoorsy activities and large fires. Maybe not for everyone, but I like this beer. Quite a bit.

09-27-2013 03:35:03 | More by BeerWizard
Dreizhen

Georgia

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark, mostly opaque brown with a tinge of amber somewhere in there. Thin head that shrinks into a thin layer but lingers.
S: Smoke, malt, slight chocolate and coffee notes.
T: A truly smokey porter. In an odd way, this reminds me of Bruichladdich's single malt "The Rocks," which is an unpeated Islay. I've had so many porters and expected rich chocolate and coffee that when I got this and tasted mostly smoke, it was like drinking an Islay without peat (which ironically would make it smokey). Chocolate and coffee are here, but definitely subdued. There's some mahogany lingering in there, too. The bottles recommends pairing it with BBQ'd meats. I concur, wholeheartedly.
M: Smooth, moderate carbonation, lingers on the tongue.
O: Pretty good. I've had a lot of the Stone beers in different setting that just aren't appropriate for reviewing. This is my first time really sitting down with the Smoked Porter and I'm pretty pleased with it. Not something I'll go for every time I'm at the bottle shop, but I can't think of many better beers for Fall grilling when there's a slight briskness in the air and a good football game on the tube.

09-18-2013 20:35:45 | More by Dreizhen
StoutHunter

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Smoked Porter over a month ago for $5.09 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been wanting to try this beer, but I haven't seen it around in a long time so when i saw a couple bottles on the shelf I made sure to grab one to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, so it might be a little old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty standard for Stone with their typical gargoyle on it, it's not that bad looking. It poured a very dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a little bit of a ruby hue around the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of light mocha colored head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color is on par for the style and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts with some dark and roasted malts sticking out the most and there's some nice chocolate and coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of medium smokey aromas with some caramel and toffee like aromas that stick out much more than I would expect and there's a lighter hop aroma in the background. This beer has a decent aroma, but I wish the roasted malts and smokey aspects stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a roasted dark malts and chocolate like taste that quickly gives way to a lighter medium smokey flavor. Up next comes the caramel and toffee flavors that are lighter then they were in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that has a charred like flavor to it along with a lighter hop flavor with a slightly charred malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer but just like the aroma the roast and smoke didn't seem to stick out as much as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, thin, watery, fairly dry, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, it felt too thin and over carbonated for the style.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, there was nothing about the flavor or aroma that really kept me coming back for more, it wasn't as bold and as aggressive as I expect most beers from Stone to be, so to me it felt a little out of place. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling but the flavor didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think a glass would be enough for me, a whole bomber is a little too much for me and after one pour it started to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was very good and it's one of the best looking Porter that I've seen in a while. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was out of place for the style and it just didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy a fresh bottle just to see how different it is but as far as getting a beer just to enjoy and drink I don't think I would get this again, it just doesn't keep me coming back for more. I wouldn't really recommend this beer, it's not really smokey or porter like enough to recommend. All in all I thought this beer was a disappointment, I had high hopes for this one since stone rarely disappoints, but this one just fell flat and it didn't really highlight those porter and smokey flavors and aromas as well as I would like. Better luck next time guys, this beer just didn't do it for me, but I would still like to try the chipotle version of it.

09-14-2013 03:53:40 | More by StoutHunter
aquazr1

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours dark brown with a nice medium height head. The smoke hits you up front in both the smell and the taste. There is a faint bitterness at the end from the hops. Medium body that goes down well.

A really good beer but misses the mark for me.

09-07-2013 03:58:23 | More by aquazr1
johnnymauler

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a decent beer, I'm just not too crazy about it. First off the smell reminds me of a smoldering ash tray in a bar which turned me off at first. As the beer warmed up in the glass I enjoyed it a little more. It has a nice smoked nutty flavor with hints of chocolate taffy and mocha, but a little one dimensional. I'm not sure if I would buy this beer again, would like to find something a little richer and with more distinct flavors.

09-05-2013 00:48:40 | More by johnnymauler
fitrock2112

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured Smoked Porter into a Belgian Tulip.

A - The liquid pours dark brown almost black with two fingers of light mocha head.

S - Roasted malt, light coffee, a touch of vanilla.

T - Roasted smoky malts, bitter coffee mid palate.

M - Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation

O - A good beer. Just not sure I'd get it again. Cheers.

08-31-2013 00:33:24 | More by fitrock2112
richj1970

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured on tap at local bottle shop.

A: Dak brown almost black with nice two finger head.

S: Smokey goodness. Roasty grains. Maybe some faint hops in the back.

T: Roasted sweet malts mixed with a faint smoke. Bitter chocolate.

M: Nice crisp clean body and good carbonation.

O: This is an easy drinking clean porter. One of my favorite porters so far. I think this is one of the unsung heroes of Stone's year round line up.

08-30-2013 21:26:58 | More by richj1970
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650ml from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£6.50):
Dark brown with a 1cm, bubbly head that is off-white to brown and settles as a nice lacing across the top with some build up around the sides with some nice lacing left on the glass.

Chocolate & dark malts initially with a definite smoked aroma on top that is luckily not as strong as I was expecting. There is some roasted notes and a few hops with some coffee.

Sweet & hoppy malts to begin with some touches of chocolate and a slightly smoked taste. Coffee & a bit of bitterness with some peat and roasted malts following this. A very well balanced beer with a nice combination of sweetness and roasted malts with the smoky character the name suggests with some chocolate at the end and some hops too.

Smooth with a medium body and nice balance to go along with the medium carbonation. A slightly rich tasting beer but one that goes down well.

A nice beer and one that was incredibly easy to drink with a great balance and a nice mix of flavours coming together well and keeping things interesting throughout.

08-24-2013 16:23:59 | More by flyingpig
Hopscat

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not a lot of experience with the style yet/ from bomber into pint glass, appears dark-opaque.
Smells of roasted grain, coffee , smoke and hops - piney and citrusy.
Taste follows with big roasted grains- smoky coffee- dark chocolate, with piney and citrusy hops coming on gangbusters in the middle. Finishes with some licorice and astringent qualities. Pretty complex and surprises as the complexity unfolds with warming.
Mouthfeel is medium toward light with carb bite and a dry bitter finish
Overall I enjoyed this and was surprised at the dry and bitter hops quality with the added attraction of smoke and licorice

08-15-2013 17:14:05 | More by Hopscat
Gator_rater

4.89/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I don't normally drink a lot of porters because I prefer hoppy beers and generally think that porters/stouts aren't as complex. This beer made me change my mind. This porter has a very a very dynamic full body malt character. I liked the smoky coffee character. All together a great beer. I will be looking to try more of the same.

08-07-2013 00:01:10 | More by Gator_rater
MickeyD

Kansas

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured into a clean tulip glass

A: very dark with thick head 3 finger widths

S: smokey dark chocolate malt

T: very light smoke but strong roasted malt type flavor with a bit of a bite

M: smooth but crisp.

O: very good porter would have liked more smoke but still very good.

08-02-2013 03:39:19 | More by MickeyD
stinkydaddy

Tennessee

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

5oz Sampler

a- very clean. no hop presence. sweet malt with hint of chocolate. looking for more smoke.

a-thin tan head lingers and laces. deep brown with garnet when held to light.

f – caramel & toffee. slight chocolate on back. hop bitterness only present to balance malt. smoke there but seeking more.

m – low/medium carbonation. creamy. no astringency.

o – excellent brown porter. beautiful looking beer. smoke is there but I find myself wanting more. defiantly worth another try.

08-01-2013 03:40:29 | More by stinkydaddy
lighthabit

Oregon

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

sampler on tap at the Salem Bite Brew-n-Food festival

coffee dark, mild head, leaves a persistent ring and some lacing showing on sampler cup. smoke is mild, pleasant, brew is bitter up front. finish is dry/bitter. stickiness in the middle is pleasing. definitely one to revisit .

07-28-2013 23:43:15 | More by lighthabit
Mojo

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle -> Dogfish Head glass

A - The appearance is darn near perfect. Pours up deep deep brown, almost black with a luscious two finger caramel colored head, decent retention, and lots of foamy lacing.

S - Not much on the nose actually, maybe some chocolate and coffee, but basically very weak.

T - Taste is very chocolate and malty up front followed by a smoky charcoal burnt wood finish

M - very nice, lots of carbonation.

O - pretty good, pretty good, pretty neat, pretty neat.

07-20-2013 19:40:19 | More by Mojo
jroberts8811

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Bomber poured into Boulevard tulip

A - rich, dark amber (only seen when held to the light). head is off-white, two fingers, dissipating quickly with great lacing.

S - smoke, roasted malt, caramel

T - smooth, sweet malt, smoke finish but not overpowering. coffee, bitterness, slight hops on the tongue

M - light bodied, round, effervescent.

O- I love this beer. way too easy to drink one or twelve of these. As soon as the smoke element emerges in the finish, it's so tempting to go back and refuel the palate again and again.

07-17-2013 18:51:58 | More by jroberts8811
gerite

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite beers. I just have to go out of state to get it.

A - A very dark inviting Porter with just the right amount of carbonation.

S - Smells of smoky roasted malts with a hint of caramel.

T - An excellent Ported with a slightly smoky taste that is not over-bearing.

M - Full bodied, but very smooth and easy to drink.

O - A great Porter to drink by itself or with a good steak.

07-16-2013 04:16:57 | More by gerite
dar482

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours dark brown/black with an off head.

The aroma has sweet roasted malt, chocolate, with not really much smoke on the nose, with some woody though.

The flavor follows, but with definitely more smoke this time. It's very porter with that roasted malt, chocolate, and then some smoke and ash on the back. You definitely picks it up more in the flavor than nose. It has a wonderful bitterness on the back.

The mouthfeel is medium to light, being a under 6% porter, much like other porters.

I was pleasantly impressed with this. I definitely really like this one and arguably more than some top porters like Deschuttes or Great Lakes.

07-07-2013 08:57:50 | More by dar482
JamesStreet

Louisiana

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - nice deep brown pour with a fluffy finger-sized head

S - beautiful mild smoke aroma. Not overpowering, but a nice mild aroma of smoked almonds, toffee, roasted barley. Absolutely loved this smell.

T - taste kind of loses the smokey aroma but keeps a mild caramel-toffee taste.

M - mouthfeel is really light. Almost no carbonation but real easy drinkability. Each sip goes down really easy.

O - was kinda bummed that the "smoke" taste was not as prevalent as in the nose. But, was very drinkable.

07-04-2013 03:38:36 | More by JamesStreet
FLima

Brazil

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%

Deep black color with a thin off-white head that keeps hanging in there and leave laces.
Nice, but lighter than expected aroma of roasted malts and not too pronounced smoked malts and earthy hops.
Flavor is more intense, notes of burnt wood and earthy hops. Hints of resin, coffee and caramels. Very dry and bitter aftertaste followed by a charcoal-smoke type of note, as it showed up late to the party.
Medium towards full body with an average carbonation with tiny bubbles.
Interesting porter, with much more character than usual for the style.

06-28-2013 13:27:43 | More by FLima
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.