Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
JimBird

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Really dark colour with a small amount of head that disappeared rather quickly. Left a fair amount of lacing on the side.

Smells roasty with a faint hint of maltiness. Extremely charred malty, coffee-like flavour with a great deal of warm bitterness in the finish; a little bit dry. Smooth as silk.

Loved this beer, great stuff!!

05-28-2009 04:02:43 | More by JimBird
recons54

Maine

A - Pours a deep brown with a creamy tan head.

S - A hint of smoke and cocoa.

T - The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of smoke that lingers through the finish.

M - This is very smooth tasting porter, not too busy, but VERY satisfying.

D - Very easy drinking, which to me means I could drink several of these during a night. I enjoyed my last bottle while enjoying some baby back ribs, which I highly recommend.

05-26-2009 17:40:35 | More by recons54
endincolorado

Appearance- Black with ruby highlights. Thick tan head. Good retention. Decent lace.

Smell- Strong, rich malt. Toast. Smokiness. Faint fruity hops in background.

Taste- Nice, smoky malt in the foreground. Rich chocolate and black coffee. Some nuttiness. Very little evident hops.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability- An excellent drinker. Rich, but versatile. Would be great with some grilled steak or burgers.

05-25-2009 11:52:18 | More by endincolorado
dasenebler

Maine

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Very dark pour, black at center. Small head retains well, good lacing. Aroma of light smokiness, chocolate, and a bit of piney hops (what would a Stone brew be without a trace of hops?).

So smooth and yet very flavorful. Tons of roasty malt and bitter chocolate. Not very sweet; rather, refined. Hops are not too discernible in the flavor. Oddly, the smokiness is not as pronounced as I thought it would be. Much more subtle than say in a Rauchbier from Schlenkerla. Mouthfeel is creamy and lighter than expected. Carbonation is medium at first but dies down beautifully.

Very drinkable for a six percent porter. The Stone porter also paired nicely with some sharp cheddar, though I guess it should have been smoked cheddar for this particular beer. Does Stone actually use smoked malts? To their website...

05-25-2009 04:07:02 | More by dasenebler
ElGeordie

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a bonber; translucent black with a thick tan head that gradually disapated over a few minutes.
Not too much happening in the aroma ddepartment which for a smoked beer was surprising.
Very drinkable; the aforementioned smoke is very unobtrusive. Actually without the smokiness this would be a little bland, the roasted malt is very monotone- no harmonics.

05-23-2009 02:13:50 | More by ElGeordie
mdwalsh

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Light black coloration, light comes through readily around the edges. Light tan two finger head that goes away, not active carb going on. Minimum lacing that is still pretty short lived.

S: Weak, but sweet and good

T: Very bland, but much going on. Not roasted, not hoppy, just a little nutty which may more be smoky.

M: Head is very soft, light body, good thirst quenching.

D: Very good. it holds steady the whole way down. I would almost compare is to a watered down RIS

05-20-2009 19:31:57 | More by mdwalsh
adamette

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Live Review. Poured from a bomber purchased shortly after I had asked for help in understanding why ratings for SN Celebration are so high and someone here on BA suggested that I drink one of these instead of worrying about all of the rude responses that I got to that question. Anyway, purchased at World Wines and Liquor last October or so. Poured into my clean, clear Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Served at about 50 degrees. Bottle had been in my ~60 degree cellar since last October.

A Medium to light brown generous head that sticks around for a few minutes. Body is dark brown with maroon highlights when placed in front of direct light.

S Well, smoked with moderate to dark malt. Exactly what I expected but pleasing in that regard. Inviting and a good smell.

T Nice smoked porter with smokiness leading the taste spectrum over a base of the medium to dark roasted malt. I taste raisins or dates and maybe some licorice as well as a subtle chocolate taste. This is like a collection of "dark" tastes in that all of the tastes are of items that tend to be dark in appearance. Nice touch.

M Not as smooth as some porters that I have had but also not as heavy, this porter is unique in the successful inclusion of the smoked aspect.

D Good for a porter and the low ABV means that I will finish this bomber without great difficulty.

Notes: The first of 5 Stone beers that I will taste and rate. This is an interesting and complex porter and I love that smoky character of it.

05-19-2009 04:20:05 | More by adamette
SirDrinxAlot

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Poured black with dark ruby highlights. Tan 1 finger head with lite lace.

Smell of coffee,malt,and light booze.

Taste was a BIG espresso, roasted malt, light hop balance flavor. Wasn't picking up any subtleties of the smoke others have talked about.
Rich, smooth and creamy with high drinkability. A great Porter.

05-16-2009 18:27:37 | More by SirDrinxAlot
lonestar1836

4.22/5  rDev +5%

A: pours dark almost black with faint red light showing through with light brown head and decent lacing

S: smells of deep smokey mals, strong coffee and fruity aromas

T: righ full bodies with deep notes of strong coffee, sweet smokey malts and upper notes of sweet fruity flavors

M: thick and smooth with light carbonation

D: a good sipping beer definatly not a chugger

05-12-2009 01:11:26 | More by lonestar1836
drunkboxer1

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a snifter. It's solid black (as far as I can tell) with a thin tan head. Leaves some lacing. Smells mainly of chocolate and roasted nuts. Creamy mouthfeel, coffee-like bitterness up front. Finishes with a thick, dark malty flavor with a lot of chocolate. As it warms you can smell some overripe plums (I guess? it's some kind of sweet fruit). It does kind of remind me of black licorice (I doubt I would have gotten that if I hadn't read the back of the bottle but whatever). I should have let the bomber sit out of the fridge for 20 minutes or so to warm up, since as I drink it its getting way better. I think I might get this again, especially since I think I paid less than 3 dollars for it. Nice and filling. I think a nap is in order.

05-10-2009 19:05:33 | More by drunkboxer1
diamondc

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

I was greeted with some massive brown/tan head appeared when I poured this beer straight down into my New Belgium goblet. The actual beer was a dark shade of ruby brown, with some scattered Belgian-style lacing. Nice ...

After a few swirls, I get plums, chocolate, and coffee. The smoked part is there, just subtle.

Taste is classic porter. A bit of sweetness which ends in a dry dark chocolate aftertaste with coffee-like bitterness. The hops are almost non-existant here. The smoke taste again is subtle enough, but its 'there' and is quite a shock for a "smoked" beer newbie, but is pleasant enough after a few swigs.

Decent carbonation here, its actually very easy to drink due to the creaminess, but on the other hand, there is no way I would drink more than a pint glass without getting my palate dulled due to the roasty/smokiness.

05-10-2009 08:01:13 | More by diamondc
BacklitAvenger

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance - Black in the glass. Capped by whitish-tan head, leaving lacing down the glass as I drink. Held to the light it is straight ruby. A dark drink here boys and girls.

Smell - Dark malt, and a hint of smoke. A bit disappointed here, was expecting more smoke. Perhaps I may be jaded from Aecht Sch., but I thought it a bit lacking in smoke aroma.

Taste - Well! Made up for the lack of aroma here! There's dark malt flavors composed of dark bittersweet chocolate. Intertwined with the dark malt is a thick, powerful smoke flavor. Caramel and roast round out the malt bill, and hops are limited to bittering role, perhaps a bit overpowered by the smoke. Can't say I mind though, this is a truly delicious drink! The chocolatey and smokey characteristics blend masterfully, dueling for control of the beer. This is a proper porter as well, much restrained in the roast sort of taste, barely posessing it at all. I like my stouts roasty and my porters malty and bittersweet, and this fully fits the bill, living up to my buddy's exhortations. He picked me up a bomber at DLD this year since we can't get them here in Illinois. Overall the flavor is explosive, yet restrained. There's a warming quality about it that manages to expose alcohol without being hot or solvent-like. Additionally I feel the smoke taste to dissipate fast once poured into the glass, so I used my smaller tulip and refilled more often.

Mouthfeel - Velvet. Pure and simple this is a silky smooth and slightly viscous and thick porter. Not slick and viscous, but more soft and fluffy. I almost feel like there's some sort of mouthfeel related smoke properties here, not sure. Carbonation adequate, ideal even. There's just enough CO2 to prickle the mouth as you drink, adding to the voluptuous, voluminous mouthfeel overall.

Drinkability - I damn dear well gave this a five here as well, but compared to lighter fare it isn't truly that drinkable. It is merely extremely drinkable for such a beer with a medium-heavy body and chock full of flavor. I noticed myself gulping the stuff down and had to check myself as I only have the one bomber, and as such should savor and sip. Still, this stuff makes you want to take big, full drinks.

Lovely all around, highly recommended. Stone needs to come to Illinois post haste.

05-09-2009 01:52:28 | More by BacklitAvenger
Sporkus

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev +7%

A - Dark, nearly opaque, red-brown. Puffy beige head, good lacing.

S - Aroma is a little hard to place. Smoky, hint of dark chocolate.

T - Roasted malt with a lingering smoke flavor. Bitter, but hops are mellow and most of the (fruit?) hop undertones are buried under the smoke. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

M - Creamy without feeling flat--carbonation is nice.

D - Drinkable for a porter.

05-04-2009 23:42:28 | More by Sporkus
kemoarps

Washington

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

pours a pretty little cola-esque deep brown with a creamy tan head that looks like I could lay my head on it and sleep. Decent lacing and retention. Looks tasty.

the nose is creamy, with a sweet tang of bitter cocoa (i realize that sounds contradictory, bear with me). just a hint of twirling smoke reaching its tendrils up to grasp my senses

taste is creamy smoothe. The smoke reappears here, as does the bittersweet cocoa. The cocoa almost makes it feel kind of dry, not in the sense that wine will be dry (lack of sugar), but the way that bakers chocolate kind of feels like it is dessicating the mouth. But not in a bad way, if that makes sense.

one of the smoother and more comfortable porters I've had recently, pleasantly surprising in that regard. kind of chewy. round. feels good (that's what she said)

Could drink several of these in a row if that's what I had. very tasty. not as overwhelming as some other simiilar brews. only 5.9, so even that isn't going to put you too far too quickly.

overall, another masterfully crafted brew from the folks at Stone. Also managed to get it sort of for free (my friend, to pay back the money he owed me took me to liquorama and told me he'd cover whatever I could carry in my arms, no baskets allowed. I was proud of how much I could carry. three six packs, a pack of four cans, four 22s and a couple of singles later...). All around a pleasant drinking experience. recommend highly

04-30-2009 02:58:28 | More by kemoarps
animal69

Louisiana

A- pours a deep reddish-black color w/ a decent tan cap that slowly dissolves into a ring of lace that leaves a nice coat in my glass
S- not as strong of a smell as i would have liked, a citrus hop (chinooks?) aroma combines w/ faintly vinous smokey notes, some darker fruits noticed as well
T- crisp and smokey from the onset, yet not as pronounced as a rauch, caramel/coffee flavors in the middle, finishes a bit minerally w/ more smoked coffee here as well
M- a semi-dry light-med body w/ a decent level of co2, feels quite creamy on the tongue
D- very drinkable, this may become my new fav. porter, at only %5.9 i could prob. drink this all night long

04-29-2009 04:21:11 | More by animal69
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Poured a very deep brown with a small dirty tan head, very little carbonation. Nose smelled of a little smoke and roasted malt, coffee but let down on the nose much like the taste. Tasted like it smelled. I almost detected smoke smoked meat or something in there. The bottle did not do this brew justice.

04-29-2009 02:30:01 | More by barleywinefiend
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Black with a white fluffy head.
S: Smells like a porter (so it has the slight chocolate and a black malt character) with a slight bit of smokiness.
T: Smokey with a good burnt black malt flavour. Full flavoured but only a slight smokey flavour. I'd like the smoked flavour to be more pronounced, after the first few drinks I could barely taste it.
M: A bit thin for a porter, but it has the traditional medium creaminess.
D: Quite!

04-28-2009 22:28:40 | More by swizzlenuts
GoodBeerTire

Georgia

A - Poured black with a slight tan head. Laces well.

S - Caramel malts. Smoke is not overpowering.

T - Starts malty, with caramel. Chocolate & slight licorice. Smoke shows up in the aftertaste. A bit raw.

M - Good carbonation. Not as creamy as other porters, but the small, almost non-existant head has something to do with it.

D - Lower alchohol% (5.7) makes it repeatable, but since it has a quite strong smokey aftertaste, I will want to finish it up w/ something hoppy. Would pair well w/ fruit.

04-25-2009 18:00:50 | More by GoodBeerTire
merryjoulton

Arkansas

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours an opaque black with basically no head, just some foam resting at the top that doesn't span the surface. Smells of dark malts and balances out with some piny hop aroma. Tastes just like it smells-deep malt balanced with piny hops. The mouthfeel is good, just the right amount of body to match the deep smell and taste. Much more drinkable than an IRS because of the SP's lighter body.

04-24-2009 10:42:05 | More by merryjoulton
DannyS

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

One of the far less arrogant offerings from Stone Brewing. Served in a pint glass, poured from a 22 oz. bomber.

A - Pitch black that remains black with a faint glare of light when held up to it. Thin but resilient head, good retention and lacing.

S - Coffee, charcoal, smoke, and toasted oat. Basic, but it works.

T - Very mild on the bitterness. Lots of good coffee and smoke flavor. Subtle hops and good malt, just ever so slightly sweet.

M - carbonation is medium to low, body is full. Very well balanced feel.

D - Highly sessionable. The bitterness is far form overwhelming and the ABV isn't ridiculous. Finishing the bomber was an easy task.

Overall - A great, well balanced porter. Easy drinking and very socially inclined. Crack a few open and enjoy a round with friends!

04-23-2009 23:41:36 | More by DannyS
Lerxst

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into Stone Smoked Porter glass.

A-Very nice pitch black with a nice two finger head that lingered around for quite a while.

S-The smoke is a bit much. I know this is a smoked porter, but the smoke smell is hard to get past to get to the chocolate/coffee undertones.

T-Again, the smoke. its a bit much and the coffee/chocolate undertones are showing up which is nice.

M-A nice full bodied brew with perfect carbonation.

D-I would enjoy this more if I could get past the smoke. But still, for a big beer it is surprisingly drinkable, but one bomber is enough.

04-21-2009 21:14:15 | More by Lerxst
thequeen711

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Poured a cola brown from the bomber, nice thick head, retained foam throughout the drinking experience. Nose of roasted malts, light coffee. Taste medium bodied and flavours of roasted malts and some sort of smokiness...I detected a sweetness mixed in the malts and smoke...Nice Porter from our friends from Stone. Highly recommend if you are a porter/stout lover!!! Enjoy!

04-20-2009 01:33:10 | More by thequeen711
thekevlarkid

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Out of a bomber bottle this beer was a very dark brown/black color with a two finger head of tan foam. The retention was quite good and the lacing pretty good too. The aroma was not nearly as 'dark' as I was expecting, roasted malt, earthiness, peat smoke, rye bread and wood. The flavors were rich and robust, bittersweet chocolate, coffee, peat smoke, sweet pipe tobacco, earthy malt and a good balancing hop bitterness. The long bitter finish was pleasant and well organized as one experiences with high-quality chocolate. The mouthfeel was smooth, the body full and the carbonation perfect. An excellent example of the style and another worthy offering from Stone.

04-16-2009 02:28:14 | More by thekevlarkid
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +9%

I had this at a Stone beer dinner tonight at the Old Village Post House in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Stone Southeast rep. Scott Sheridan was there and brought some great humor/tasting profiles/stories and facts along with him that made the dinner an unforgettable craft beer experience. The chef paired this with a Charcuterie Plate stuffed full of Country Pate, Chicken Liver Mousse, House made Sausage, Pepper Relish, Whole Grain Mustard, & Toast Points. Needless to say the Porter paired perfectly. I highly recommend attending a Stone beer event in your area when it come available. The reps know how to have a good time and entertain the entry level beer drinker as well as the beer geek!

Appearance: Dark brown with tan head and slight lacing.

Smell: Smoke, Chocolate, Coffee

Taste: Chocolate, Coffee Malt with dark Chocolate malt finish.

Mouthfeel: Full Bodied with soft tannins, dry finish.

Drinkability: Sip & Savor. As a porter lover I'd highly recommend this as a porter for that porter drinker looking for something to enjoy that's different. Stone takes this one and runs with it.

04-15-2009 03:30:52 | More by LauraAlberts
briman

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours very dark brown, clear, with ruby highlights around the edges. Moderate tan head retains well.

Aroma has some light roast, dark chocolate, and hints of coffee and smoke.

Flavor has very light notes of roast, chocolate, and coffee, with a light-to-moderate smoky element. Finish is dry, with just a hint of bitterness into the aftertaste.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Seems somewhat subdued compared to other Stone Brews. Overall, the flavors are a bit soft, and not at all what I was expecting. Certainly not a bad beer, but I find this to be only slightly above average for a porter.

04-11-2009 01:31:44 | More by briman
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.