Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Ice cream like head of four fingers. Had to wait for some time before I could get to the beer. Lace for a week, clings like glue. Color is a 39 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is coffee, chocolate, smoke, toffee, and malt. Taste is very intense roasted coffee, dark chocolate, black strap molasses, toffee, and malt. Smoke flavor and feeling in the back of my throat. Big mouthfeel, chewy, full, thick. This is one of my favorite styles of beer, and this as a good one. Got to have more of this one.

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz bottle split between a couple tulips.

Dark brown pour with a khaki head. Three fingers of head rise up, slowly dissipating. Nice film forms leaving a pretty nice flowing head that drips down leaving long trails.

Strong smoke nature on the nose. A mild roasted malt base, but the smoking gives a great spiciness, very similar to either roasted Jalapenos or a sour funk. Intriguing.

Roasted malts give a nice base. The smoked nature dominates though, but not to a "oh dear caught in a house fire" degree. Mellowed, and for being a smoked porter, it is not just a smoke beer. The porter nature is well played, giving off a smooth roasted balance.

Very creamy and smooth. ABV is non-existant, and quite quaffable. Not a great intro into the style, but a good smoke beer.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from an 22 ounce bomber into a New Belgium globe. Enjoy by 8/21/10 etched on bottle.

Appearance: Pours a dark cola brown with a 1 finger foamy tan head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, sweet cocoa and mild floral hops with a very faint hint of smoke in the background.

Taste: Toasted bread up front followed by semi-sweet chocolate in the middle and ending with a combination of bitter hops and a nice dose of smoke. Aftertaste is smoky and mildly bitter and lingers for quite a while.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down very smooth.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back more than one bomber over the course of an evening. This is a great choice for a cold day.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. This is one of the best porters I've ever had. I would definitely recommend trying this. Once again, Stone does not disappoint.

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

I had a taster of this after a tour of the brewery. This beer is pretty decent, though it pales in comparison to Alaskan's Smoked Porter, which I happened to have had the night before.

It looks like most any porter, though notably - like all of Stone's beers - crystal clear. It feels more watery than I'd like my Porter, however.

The smoked character is the standout of both the taste and aroma, but it has a ham-like quality that I try to avoid in smoked beers. I would have used a similar amount of a more well-rounded smoked malt. More smoke, less meat.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

A - A dark black body is topped by a fluffy light tan head. If held up to the light, you can see a bit of mahogany shine through that dark body. Very nice head retention and an excellent curtain of lacing.

S - Caramel malt, dark bitter chocolate and a bit of a burnt wood aroma provide quite the complex aroma.

T & M - The chocolate I smelled in the nose took on more of a sweet milk chocolate character than I would have guessed. I thought it would have been a more bitter chocolate (I think the smoke played a little trick on me). The caramel is there as well, and it balances out nicely with the smoke (I also would have thought the smoke would be more dominant). The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. There is a tiny bit of hop bitterness toward the back end (providing the 53 IBU rating).

D - This is just a nicely balanced brew!! I paid $4.39 for the bomber I'm sampling from, and i would pay that any day of the week to have this beer stocked in my fridge. Unbelievable complexity...Stone just continues to impress with each beer I sample.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

A chestnut colored beer with just an average foam head that leaves a fair amount of lacing down the side. Aromas of rich malts and sutle hints of smokiness.
A nice tasting beer with rich complex malts over sutle background smokiness. Hints of coffee and espresso are present with an underlying hop bitterness.
Smooth full body beer creamy, but a little watery.
A nice well made beer.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color, and has a thin tan head. The head leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - The smell is quite smokey. There are also some roasted malts and hops present. I am also getting just a bit of coffee and chocolate notes as well.

T - The taste is better than the nose suggests. There is quite a bit of roasted malts present. There are also notes of caramel, vanilla, coffee, and a light amount of smoke. The aftertaste is smokey and slightly hoppy.

M - This has a medium body and medium-low carbonation. I think this is a good mouthfeel for a porter.

D - This has pretty good drinkability. It goes down fairly easy, and is a decent porter. It is not my favorite of the style, but I think it's pretty good.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Very nice and not bitter. Compared to several other Stouts and porters that we recently purchased to "try". For this particular beer it seems that our tastes in the realm of the popular opinion, whether or not that is good thing remains to be seen - because everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes!

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

A - poured with 5 inches of brown head and one and a half of beer. dark brown/black. clear. way too much foam

S - tough to tell at first because it is mostly head, as i wait for the head to clear and pour more in my glass i get a nice smokey, chocolate aroma.

T - Smokey/chocolate flavors much like the aroma

M - Nice smooth mouthfeel, though a bit tingly from the carbonation/bubbles

D - after fighting through the foam/waiting for it to clear, fairly drinkable, feels quite nice on the back of my tongue and throat. But way too much foam

Overall, I think I got a messed up batch, head/carbonation was out of control. I found the Smell and Taste to lack complexity.

*came back to edit my review because I poured the other half of my beer in the glass thinking maybe my pouring was the problem but it over foamed again, knocks down the drinkablilty, cant drink foam right?

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured black, darker than some stouts and certainly darker than most Porters, with about 1/2 inch of light tan head that had low retention and some lacing.

The aroma featured rich malts supporting the even, balanced (there's a word rarely used about Stone) smokiness. There was just a trace of hops poking through in the background. The taste was surprisingly crisp, well-defined malts providing the base for the just-right amount of of smoke and that hint of hops.

The body was good, solid and even. As usual with smoke beers, drinkability depends on your tolerance for the smoke. I found this to be much easier to drink than most of the style, I might even have 2 in a row.

Overall, a very nice beer, worth trying when you see it.

Poured into Stone 12oz Shaker Glass.

Deep brown color, full tan head with good lacing on the glass.

Smooth beer with a slight bitterness, nice smokey flavor - not too overpowering. The smokiness is not very present in the nose. I would say it's a very good representation of the style and a beer worth checking out!

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance - Very deep ruby color. Brownish/orange/ruby highlights around the edges. Almost black when held away from the light. Nice tan, creamy head with very nice retention and excellent lacing. The head settled to a wonderful film on top.

Smell - The description on the bottle is spot on. A nice smokey aroma of coffee and chocolate. Licorice is both delicate and brilliant. The dark fruit is subdued, but makes a worthy impression. The smell is very well balanced in my opinion.

Taste - A nice robust black coffee flavor jumps out at first. Followed by some rich chocolate flavors. Both flavors are equally roasty, burnt and smokey. The dark fruit, like in the smell, is pushed to the background to give a little complexity.

Mouthfeel - Medium to mostly full mouthfeel. Chewy and smooth. Tons left on the palate waiting for the next sip. Very dry and exquisite.

Drinkability - This is a Porter that has strong character and flavor. It's perfect for the bitter cold evenings. The smokey aroma and flavor are really prominent and, to some extent, started to distract me. Not a great deal, but some. It's still a great, well rounded Porter. One that I will pick up again and again. I could drink this in moderation with extreme pleasure.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

A: Very dark brown, but not cloudy at all. Edges look lighter brown. Tan head of maybe 2 fingers. Good retention and a lot of lacing. Looks really good, pours nicely.

S: Deep roasty malt flavor, coffee and smoke. Smells like I would expect for a smoked porter.

T: Deep flavor that matches the smell very closely. Lot of roasted malts up front that give way to smokiness and coffee. The beer kind of loses me on the finish though. The hops don't come through enough to balance out the initial burst of flavor. Still fantastic, just a little week on the finish.

M: Not as heavy as one might expect. Low carbonation, not sticky at all.

D: Relatively low gravity beer, weighs in at just 5.9% ABV, and not overwhelming to the palate. I almost wish it was a little heavier to balance out the flavor, but it's still a great beer. If there is such a thing as a session porter, this just might be it.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Had on tap at Bobbique in Patchogue, New York. Served in a pint glass.

I've reviewed the bottle version of this but I have yet to drink the tap version. The bottle of Stone Smoked Porter was one of my early favorites so I'm looking forward to this guy.

Look: very dark for a porter, almost black except some deep brown highlights when held to the light. The head is slightly off white. A bit of carbonation is visible but not a whole lot. Looks very good.

Smell: a bit of smoky malt but despite the name, not as smoky as one would think. Dark, roasted malt dominates with some dark chocolate, black coffee, and a bit of dark caramel is found in the nose. I'm struggling to find any hoppiness but that's perfectly fine by me. Very good.

Taste: follows the nose well. A bit of smoky malt but its very subdued. Black coffee, dark chocolate, dark caramel and those typical dark malt flavors permeate through powerfully with hints of hops. Absolutely delicious.

Feel: thick and creamy. Very full bodied for a porter and I love it. Great mouthfeel.

Drink: could very well drink this pint after pint. Great drinkability.

Overall, I haven't had this in a long, long time so I am glad I saw it on tap and had a chance to retry it. I remember absolutely loving this beer and it was one of the beers that got me passionate about craft beer. I am glad that my palate still appreciates this and that I was right about this one back in the day. This porter is incredibly flavorful and puts many stouts to shame in terms of flavor.

I still recommend this one whole heartedly. Give this one a go if you can! Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Black pour with a thin, light tan head. A touch of red shows through light.

Aroma is lightly fruity and chocolaty, while being low on rich, intense character. There is a touch of burnt, smokey character as well as a touch of hops.

Flavor is light up front with some a touch of roast and chocolate. In the finish, the intensity picks up quite a bit with even more roast, as well as some hoppiness and slight smoke/char character. The roast and bitterness intensifies the dryness in the finish while leaving a lingering feel. The smoke level is low, and because of this, impresses me most with food (oysters, steak, toast and cheese.) A nice touch to a simple, solid porter base.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

The beer pours a deep amber almsot black color, and yet you can still faintly see through it. The aroma of this beer is caramel malt, and a hint of smoke and roasted malts. The taste is smooth, more caramel then roasted flavor or smoke flavor, yet there are hints of both. The mouthfeel is medium for a porter. This beer is very drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with a foamy, tan, long lasting head. Aroma of roasted malt with hints of coffee and chocolate. Medium, slightly tangy body. Flavor of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and molasses. Finish is long, espresso coffee. Tasty, easy drinking porter.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

22 oz chug into a snifter. Color is great, rich and deep brown, probably would be a little lighter in the sun than indoors here, but it's a good color. Big zesty head.

Nice bitterness and a good bite to it. Tastes a little thin, but to be fair to this brew I'm drinking it right after an RIS so maybe this is bound to feel like a light beer. The one thing about this beer that I was a little disappointed with was the nose. The smokiness doesn't come out in the aroma as much as some other beers. Altogether though, worth drinking and recommended as a decent example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a nice dark brown color from a 22 fl oz bottle, with the gargoyle, "best-by" and ABV on the label. Good, solid frothy tan head that dissipates slowly, with excellent lacing. The aroma is predominantly roasted coffee/malts, with a hint of chocolate. Taste is a very good, robust blend of dark chocolate, roasted coffee and malts with a slightly bitter yet perfectly smooth finish making it a highly drinkable brew. This solid, robust porter is highly recommended to every porter lover. Another solid brew from Stone.

3.33/5  rDev -17%

Smoke is an odd smell in beers. They come off as a strong sour note at the top without much sweetness. Clear alcohol notes are in there. The roasted malt is there at the finish, Perhaps a touch of liquorish with a hint of coffee in the nose. I want to say vanilla and chocolate but I don't think those are in there. I'm mostly picking up the alcohol, smoke, liquorish, and some coffee.

Pours brown, turns black in the glass, with good head, great retention, and just enough body. Impressive to say the least.

Beers like this make me wish I knew more from those taste wheels. The malt isn't sweet or sour, the flavor hits the front of the tongue which indicates not sour, but the smoke is clearly a very unique flavor for the malt. Clear notes of chocolate (very much on the dark bitter bakers chocolate side, even more than most), coffee. There isn't any sweet notes in this beer. I think it would be amazing with sweeter foods, but I have nothing like that to try with it. I can vouch form past experience that this stuff is just amazing with roast chicken and BBQ. A rare thing with beer is that imo this is far better with food than by itself. I highly recommend pairing this with food.

Great carbonation gives this beer a lot of drink ability and a creamy mouth feel. That said it's a touch to thin all things considered.

I think stone for this very "unstone like" beer. It's a very different porter and a truly interesting experience. Scored as an alone drink and not as something to pair with food. Scores would go up in taste to with the right pairing. By itself this is very interesting but doesn't rank that highly.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

On draft, served in a tulip. Very dark brown, good clarity, with a strong, tan head.

Aroma is roasty, with coffee and dark chocolate. Some sweet toffee aroma. Low spicy, earthy hops. Very low smoke in the nose.

Strong roasted malt flavor, with some roast malt bitterness. Low cocoa. Nice hop bitterness that builds into the finish. The smoke flavor is barely detectable. Medium-low earthy hop flavor.

Well-carbonated with a medium body. Dry, slightly astringent finish. No obvious alcohol warmth.

Very nice porter, extremely drinkable. I was expecting significantly more smoke character, and would score this beer higher if the smoke was more in balance.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

I have to be honest. I was drawn to this beer by the price as much as I was by the reputation. Actually, the reputation of Stone is good beer at a reasonable price, so I am right on the money, so to speak. The appearance of this porter is very dark, almost a deep purple when pouring. It produced a thick, light-colored head, which in turn produced a thick patterned lace. The smell was average, above average for porters. Faint hints of chocolate, and coffee can be detected if you strain your nose. But the taste is where this beer shines. The start is full of chocolate and coffee, with a nice full-bodied mouthfeel. The finish reveals a nice light slight bitter smokiness that mingles with the coffee still on the palate. In all this porter is a very drinkable session beer, that would go with just about any meal. Seriously.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured almost black in color with a thick foamy coffee colored head, fairly good retention.

The scent is of honey and sweet cream, some coffee and chocolate.

The taste was of coffee and sweet dark chocolate first, then there was some light smokiness, finishing with sweet cream and notes of honey.

Full bodied, creamy and smooth, crisp, moderate carbonation.

Very tasty beer, lots of complex flavor and perfectly balanced. Not easy to drink more than one of these though.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Beautiful looking beer here. Dark but clear, with red hues around the edges. Fat head. Nitro tapped would be amazing.

Has an aroma of coffee and malt. No smoke like advertised on the bottle.

Similar but very deep flavors of coffee, sugar, molassess, and finally a lasting and perfect bitterness. Not lots of complexity.

Surprisingly light for the color. Not syrupy at all, and good carbonation, leading to excellent drinkability.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bomber poured into a snifter

A- A very dark, almost black ruby. The redness is shown when held up to the light. A fingers worth of light tan head was present and left a bit of lacing as it dissipated.

S- Mocha scents with toasted malt and a hint of smokiness. A faint odor of booze at the end of a big whiff.

T- Outstanding! Explosions of smokey malt and coffee tastes throughout. Not too bitter on the end and has light carbonation.

M- Very smooth on the palate and has a full mouthfeel that's not too thick.

D- Because of it's smoothness, I could drink this brew all night! I recommend this one for sure!

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.