Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Atron67

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

750 ml bottle ive had around for a little while, time to finally crack this baby open.

A- pours a clear black with a copper red hue through the glass, tufts of brown head on top, built up an inch or so on the pour and left wet thin lacing down the glass.

S- not a fan of this smell, its malty, not much hops (slightly sweet), but it doesnt smell chocolaty very much. has a bit of roasted character, but its relatively weak and not all that impressive.

T- heres a good smooth porter that reminds you of how porters came around. smooth light and clean. chocolatey malty body. not very strong flavor, but solid.

M- light body, light carbonation, pretty smooth all over, slightly creamy body

D- pretty good, idk a little underwhelmed, some of their other stuff is alot better. maybe im just spoiled by having had so much of black hawk porter and smoke on the porter recently

09-08-2008 01:50:36 | More by Atron67
Slatetank

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

I picked this up at Thirsty's in York. Put part of the bottle in some burgers marinaded and grilled and reviewed the other portion. Poured chilled into a nonic.

A - Extremely dark brown or mahogany as the ink on the bottle states w/ a 2 finger band of khaki.
The lace clings very well and the porter has a decent garnet amber hue

S - A carmel, toffee, roasted malt scent and dark cherry fruity ester w/ hints of coffee and mild cocoa w/ a fresh juicy hop aroma. The hop scent is both spicy and citrus tinged - a nice mellow toasted/smoked odor accents the roasted malt nose very nicely

M - A sweet feel w/ medium carbonation and bitterness w/ subtle smoky dry texture. The acidity from the hops balances the sweetness and adds complexity to the toasted rich and malty feel

T - Very well blended w/ dark malt thatt has a sweet and juicy taste w/ plum and stone fruit nutty caramel and spiced bread flavors. A light cocoa and smoked flavor adds to the malt roastiness w/ an adequate amount of intensity and flavor that keeps it interesting to the last sip.

D - I love the smoky taste that isn't overdone in this porter. The balance is unusual for Stone's ales, but a welcome trait w/ plenty of fresh hop flavor that lets you know it is a porter from southern California. Possibly in my top 5 Stone ales - I really love a little smokiness in the porter Top notch drinkability I could see myself drinking more of this as the weather gets cooler

09-06-2008 23:32:40 | More by Slatetank
beveritt

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into an Imperial pint glass. Label is classic silk-screened Stone. No visible freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with full five fingers of tan head that settles slowly to about 2.5 fingers. The beer itself is opaque, with just the barest hints of red around the edges.

Smell: Roasted barley aromas mix with bitter hops. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and licorice.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate hits you right upfront. This eases off to flavors of coffee and roasted barley. Mild hop bitterness in the finish, much less than expected from the smell. A long, lingering cocoa powder feeling and taste.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is average. Body is unfortunately a little thin, contrary to what your taste buds are telling you.

Drinkability: Good looks and great taste on this one. A little disappointed in the body, but overall, a delicious, dessert like beer.

08-28-2008 00:55:15 | More by beveritt
CrellMoset

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A deep dirty brown, but with plenty of garnet hues poking through at the periphery. A light, fairly quickly fading latte colored head leaves some unimpressive lacing in its wake.

Aroma: Smoky, burnt toast, some lighter syrupy brown sugar notes, and a nice hop bouquet - some faint spicy floralness.

Taste: More dark toastyness with a few roasted astringencies coming through, some smooth but lightly bitter chocolate, a dry, grassy roasted coffee note and some light citrus, and a smoky feel and definite peaty, smoky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, milky, and creamy. A very fine-bubbled mouth on this one makes for a very even feel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, even if you don't like smoked beers (as I don't), because the "smoked" aspect of the Smoked Porter is not its most prominent constituent component - it's merely a nice addition to an already very balanced and drinkable porter. Alcohol is of course also not a factor here. Give it a shot.

08-24-2008 16:57:28 | More by CrellMoset
sstackho

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

22oz bottle, purchased somewhere in Boston for $5. Consumed during the month of its best before date. Pours very dark with minimal head. Nice lacing though. All malt aroma of medium strength. The first sip gives an initial peppery sensation. The peppery sensation remains throughout. Nice malty flavours, with some coffee tastes thrown in the mix.

08-23-2008 03:13:10 | More by sstackho
Brew33

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Purchased a 22oz Bomber from Jungle Jim's in Cincy, OH.

I had read a lot of reviews on this beer so I had high expectations going in, and I ended up a little disappointed. This is a good beer don't get me wrong, but it isn't the big, thick, smokey Porter I had hoped for.
The smoke aspect of this beer is very subtle. It has a slight smoke smell and a very slight smokey flavor. It is a decent porter, certainly not the best porter I've had. It is pretty thin too which was disappointing. I would drink it again, but not at the price tag I paid for it. Maybe it's better on tap.

08-18-2008 13:28:39 | More by Brew33
Beefeater57

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

A: I must have got a really carbonated bottle, because mine is really fizzy. Looks like cola. Black, appears opaque. Tan fizzy head.

S: Roasted malt, ash/smoke smell. Similar smell of a cigar, get a hint of licorice.

T: Wow, very good. Smooth, taste is different from the smell. Layers of different flavors - some bitter chocolate, some coffee, and I get a very slight hint of fruit, like cherry. The hops add a bitterness to it, but it isn't overwhelming at all. I like how the different flavors pop in and out on the tongue from sip through aftertaste.

M: Body is a little thin for a porter, but not bad. Very well carbonated.

O: Quite good. Complex, interesting, very delicious taste. Stone are masters at what they do.

08-15-2008 23:52:19 | More by Beefeater57
Italianish

Arizona

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I must admit, after drinking an Arogant Bastard Ale more than a few times, I was a bit skeptical about anything that came froma North San Diego Brewery. They all seem to have a very strong hoppy flaver with a lot of bite.
I generally go for the darker more "heady" brews. I generally fall in love with about any beer that laces the glass.
I cracked the lid and took a whiff. Damn it smelled good. I poured it into a tall Pyramid Hefeweizen Ale glass and marveled at how rich and dark it was.
Upon taking a whiff, I was amazed at the nutty , oaky, chocolately flavour. No hoppy/bitter bite. Its somewhat comperable to a nice belgian ale.
It pours smoothly. It has a nice thich head. And it is dark, not like the quadruple filtered watery beer we so often see at the supermarktet.

I would definately drink and recommend this beer to others. Sit back, relax, crack on open. I suggest that you drink it just above room temp.. I promise, there should be no naysayers on this one. Thanks for the time. Ciao

08-14-2008 01:41:35 | More by Italianish
GoodKnight1220

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

This beer poured a deep dark brown and had a nice two finger tan head.

Smells of roasted coffee and a nutty malt.

Rich coffee right up front then fades to the sweet roast. This has some complex undertones that are hard to identify. I'm guessing that the smoked flavor.

Overall this is a good porter, worth trying and I would drink again.

08-11-2008 03:01:20 | More by GoodKnight1220
pmcadamis

4.3/5  rDev +7%

A - A dense tan head of creamy foam sits solidly atop a pitch black brew that lets no light shine through it. Tons of silky lace is left on the glass, and the lasting power of the head is amazing.

S - Double chocolate chip cookies, oaky wood notes, charcoal, and some really nice "autumn leaf" hop aromas.

T - Woody and tight, with some sweet chocolate chip flavors behind the oily hops and bitter dark chocolate. This manages to remain snappy and hoppy enough to avoid over-taxing the tastebuds with burnt coffee and dark chocolate.

M - Medium bodied with silken carbonation and a bitter burnt finish to top things off.

D - This is a damn fine brew, but I guess I was expecting more complexity. Don't get me wrong, this is complex and tasty, just not to the extent that I was expecting based on the name and the hype.

08-10-2008 23:07:47 | More by pmcadamis
kinger

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer is a bit of a puzzler, had some really great qualities and some fairly average ones as well. I will immediately skip to the overall because overall this is a nice porter and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Aroma is medium to mild with scents of chocolate and roasted goodness, it's just too mild to be given a higher score. Great pour one of the best I've seen from a porter. Rich and dark this is a looker good swirling tan head and loads of tacky lacing. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth but lacks a thick creaminess I like to find in a good porter, it does get better as it warms but still doesn't hit the right level. Flavor is real nice. I can smell a bit of the smoked flavor as I drink, my taste buds first pick up on some chocolate and caramel followed with a bitter coffee taste. The smokiness is mild and it hits the back of the throat on the way down leading to a great exhale. A stronger aroma and thicker mouthfeel and we would have a superior porter.

08-05-2008 16:48:20 | More by kinger
fitzy84

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer poured with a slight amber tone to a generally dark black appearance. Thick lacing on the sides and overall on the head. Great, literally, smoked aromas but mainly around chocolate, coffee, malt and yeast. Taste is a balanced sweetness with a burnt aspect to the flavors. Good, crisp mouthfeel aids in a refreshing carbonation and extenuating flavoring. Overall, very nice.

08-04-2008 00:53:12 | More by fitzy84
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

This one poured a very lovely reddish-brown with thick two finger tan head. the head drops to a scant covering after a few minutes, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

I notice a roasted quality in the aroma, as well as some light chocolate notes. I am not, however, picking up any smoked malt aroma.

First sip made me sit back and smile. More flavor than I expected, and there seems to be a lot going on. Definitely a roasted malt presence, with some of the bittersweet chocolate I picked up on in the nose. A faint coffee flavor in there too. I can also taste the smoked malt, but it is not overwhelming, and I would say very balanced. I also taste what I can only describe as a woody flavor, I don't know what that could be, but it is very faint, and doesn't seem out of place. A little hop presence rounds out the flavor somewhat, but this beer seems to lean a bit more in the other direction.
Mouthfeel is smooth, a bit chewy, and somewhat thick.
Overall I would love to drink this throughout an evening, and I will probably do just that in the future, so drinkability is going to be high for me.

Very tasty, and I am going to try Stone's recommendation for a sourdough bread, chunky-style all natural peanut butter, and blackberry preserves sandwich with this porter!

07-29-2008 04:05:42 | More by dancinwillie
PhxHorn

Arizona

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I've had this bottle for awhile, and now it's time to try it out in my new Stone glass from my brewery visit :-)

Color is a dark brown, cola-like, but almost no foam. Smells mildly of smoke. Tastes moderately of smoke and licorice. Despite the lack of head, there's a solid amount of carbonation in this. Because it's on the milder side (unlike Alaskan Smoked Porter), this is a very drinkable beer.

07-29-2008 03:47:53 | More by PhxHorn
philbe311

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Yowza... One of the best beers I've ever tried...

A - Darkest mahogany I've ever seen... Huge fluffy tan head... Very still... Excellent head retention... Covers glass extremely well...

S - Smoke and coffee... Burnt chocolate... Licoroise... Slightly weaker aroma than I expected...

T - Complex yet subtle... Very well done... Choclate... Cherries... Smoke... Coffee... Malt... Hops at finish...

M - Incredible... Rich, creamy, and smooth... Dry on the finish... Everything I expect from a brew... Perfection...

D - A very very drinkable porter... Nothing is overdone... Everything is subtle, which only adds to the richness and complexities... Fantastic... Just a beautiful beautiful beer... One of the best I've ever had...

07-28-2008 02:15:22 | More by philbe311
UA8

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Rich Mahogany body with an interesting rich light brown head.

S- Roasted malts and light yeast scent

T- Rich smokey malts, hints of hops, and yeast

M- Rich and thick with fine carbonation that dances on the tongue

D- Very nice porter. I enjoyed the nice balance and refreshing taste. I would deffinitely session this brew.

07-28-2008 00:20:25 | More by UA8
MSchae1017

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer pours black with brown hints and a fluffy tan head that holds and laces well. The smell is of burnt chocolate and sweet caramel. Taste is subtle burnt chocolate with roast hints, caramel, and a slight smokiness at the back, certainly not the intense smoke of Alaskan Smoke Porter. Mouthfeel is medium with pleasant carbonation. Overall not smoky enough for a smoke beer and not chocolatey enough for a porter. A decent beer nonetheless, just not my favorite porter or my favorite stone.

07-27-2008 17:50:08 | More by MSchae1017
nsw

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

I don't have massive porter experience, but I am a huge Deschutes Black Butte Porter fan, and after grabbing a 12-pack of that at Bevmo I decided to throw a pounder of Stone's Smoked Porter into the basket. I love Stone's IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard... so I figured what the heck.

A - Not a huge head, but did get some nice protein lacing on the way through. Less opaque than Black Butte.

S - Burnt alcohol, a little malt?

M - A little more "watery" than I've used to.

T - Wood, black cherry, burnt alcohol.

D - This was a one-timer for me, although it wasn't painful by any means.

07-27-2008 01:45:26 | More by nsw
Taffle

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Insanely black pour with the slightest mohagony shades fading on the edges of the tulip. The head is tan, gooey, and retains flawlessly. Definitely representing Stone quality before I can take my first sip.

Aromas are light. A little malt, bean, and smokiness come to mind.

Deep sensations of dark cocoa/chocolate and light coffee bean to the palate. The porter finishes with more of a bitter high-note and hair of that smokiness trailing. The creamy, delicious texture pairs well with the flavorful personality of the Smoked Porter.

The dancing carbonation paired with the brews creamy-smooth feel and intense flavor essentially block dopamine receptors in your brain.

I thought it would make for a nice dessert brew or paired with exotic chocolates.

Hail Stone Brew!

07-21-2008 12:11:41 | More by Taffle
grub

Ontario (Canada)

got this one as a bonus in a recent trade with Mebuzzard. thanks jason! re-reviewing with a bottle i got from Lupe as part of the 80s BIF. thanks jason!

22oz bottle.

pours very dark red-brown with a big light tan head. drops fairly fast but leaves lots of spotty lace behind.

aroma is good. light roast. bit of dark chocolate. coffee. milk chocolate. toasted whole wheat bread. biscuit. bit of alcohol. slightly fruity too. light smoke.

taste is good. light roast. bit of dark chocolate. milk chocolate. light bitterness. bit of coffee. very light smoke. toasted whole wheat bread and biscuits. medium-low bitterness level. touch of dark fruit.

mouthfeel is good. medium body with a nice medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. a balanced and enjoyable beer. glad i got a chance to re-evaluate this one as my previous bottle was definitely past its prime.

07-19-2008 02:50:14 | More by grub
SeanRedd

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A hell of a barbeque. Main dish? Chocolate, hot off the hickory smoke. A side of irish soda bread with a dash of charcoal. A tall glass of cocoa cola syrup with an order of tips and bits. A Midwest must have. Garnish this Porter with fresh caught Crappie and grade A crappers. Bon Appetit!

07-13-2008 03:41:04 | More by SeanRedd
JRed

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

A pretty good smoked porter. By looks alone it may seem as scary as the gargoyle on the front of the bottle but upon first sip you realize that this brew may not be as aggressive as it seems. Although malty, the taste is a little on the bland side but that isn't a terrible thing. Because the taste is so acceptable it makes for a great mouthfeel. You don't ever get the urge to just drink this fast. This beer doesn't attack you, it's much more like a neutral country allowing the invading army to pass through to get to the real battles. Highly drinkable over a period of time and smokey enough to enjoy; the only downfall lies in the unexpected knockout punch that never comes. This is just another example of thinking your opponent hits harder than you do but comes up short.

07-13-2008 03:39:57 | More by JRed
allergictomacros

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours a clear but very, very dark red/brown with a giant head of creamy tan foam.

S - Smoky, charcoal character is immediately evident, backed by some dark fruit, molasses, grassy hops.

T - Sweetness up front, with a mild smokiness and a light hoppy finish. Mix of dark chocolate and molasses in the middle.

M - Fairly heavy body, moderate carbonation.

D - Was expecting much more intensity in the flavours than I got. Overall balance is quite good, with nothing overwhelming.

07-12-2008 22:35:00 | More by allergictomacros
opwog

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of smoked beers and when I do have one, it is usually a hybrid.

A- Dark as dark is. Poured into a wine tasting glass, this had a nice head that was fine to drink through.
S- Not much of a nose, which surprised me for a smoked ale.
T- While there wasn't much smoke in the aroma, it was strong in the taste.
M- If I am getting that much smoke in the taste, I would like more malt body to bring it together.
D- I didn't even make it through a 4 ounce taste.

If you ever have the chance, try the brandy aged version of this. That is a world better.

07-09-2008 08:19:23 | More by opwog
Kadonny

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A deep black color with little to no light filtering through. A very minimal light brown head was poured from the bottle. Minimal carbonation.

S: Lots of roasted flavors with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and burnt notes. Slight smokey smell at the back end.

T: Burnt flavors of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and darker flavors of licorice or almost a a tar flavor. Very bitter with a slight hint of smoke on the finish. Not nearly as smokey as I would have liked.

M: Heavy, oily and bitter. The flavors just linger on in your mouth but they are not all pleasant.

D: For me this was low. The heavy mouthfeel just starts to weigh on you by the end of the bottle and the bitterness just seems to take over. More bitter as it warms also.

Overall this was a solid porter, but didn't have enough smokey flavor for me. If I want to drink a smoked porter, I want to taste the smoke. I think Stone could have somehow made this beer more drinkable somehow.

07-08-2008 20:29:13 | More by Kadonny
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.