Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to BrewBakerE for this beer:

A - Pours translucent black with come cola highlights, Forms a tan head that dissipated slowly leaving a spotty lace.

S - Dark fruits, some light chocolate, coffee...not a lot of smoke.

T - Smoked flavors come through -Coffee, chocolate, grains all seeming to come fresh out of the smoker to this brew.

M - Smooth with a nice balance of carbonation.

D - Awesome beer that combines two of my favorite styles. Will definitely be looking to pick some more up soon.

turbine2475, Jun 04, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -19%

As Stone is as of yet unavailable in my state (NC), I must continue to seek it out when visiting friends abroad (VA). As this particular offering I found to be averagish-good, I'm not sorely lamenting its absence at my LBS...yet it was still worth trying to be sure.

Appearance: Coca-cola, pure and simple

Aroma: Weak smoke permeates all else.

Taste: Smoky porter! An American take on an English style mixed with Rauchbier.

Overall, it's a one-trick pony, not especially smoky (but then again I love Rauchbier). I kinda dig it -- one caveat, though, if you're not into the smoky beer thing, don't bother with this one!

drperm, Jun 02, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -4%

I enjoyed this beer from a 22 oz bomber.

A light brown 2 finger creamy head formed as the beer was poured into a traditional pint glass but then quickly dissipated.

There was a thick malty aroma that did have hints of smokiness.

The color was very dark brown and could almost be considered truly black.

Excellent balanced flavor.
Chocolate, coffee, black licorice flavor. Roasted malt and of course the slight smoky flavor. I also noticed a slight spiciness.

Effervescent carbonation.
Combination of the smokiness and hops lingers long after you've swallowed your most recent sip.

Very nice.
Mouth feel is about right for a Porter and this is actually quite drinkable.

Reagan1984, Jun 02, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Dark beer. Almost black with tobacco mahogany highlights where the little bit of light sneaks through. Fluffy beige head rises above the brew for a short duration but fades to just a collar. It does leave light dots of webbing on the edges of the glass.

Smell is of moderately smoked sweet malts. They are hard to pick up but reveal themselves eventually.

Taste is very smooth, caramel based sweetness with a slick moderate smoked malt. Not as smoky as I was expecting based on the name but it is more apparent in the finish. The beer is slick, creamy and smooth on the palate and has a nice thick medium body. There are light notes of chocolate and coffee but very minimal.

This beer is smooth and easy to drink. It has a very glossy feel with low carbonation, mild flavors and almost no bitterness.

jbphoto88, Jun 02, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured very dark, with a decent head. Loved the "smokey" flavor and feel of the beer but i was a little disapointed with the nose...couldn't really smell the smoke. As far as drinkability, it was awesome...I only had one and was sad to see it go.

hopheadsal, May 31, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +8%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured an inky-black with a thick, brown head into a pint glass. The aroma was of burnt wood (reminded me a bit of how my clothes smell after being around a campfire). The smoked malt was very evident in the first taste, with the roasted malt and burnt toast flavors evident as well. The smoked flavor complements the beer style very nicely, in my opinion.

pershan, May 29, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Stone's Smoked Porter pours a deep brownish black with mahogany highlights near the bottom of the glass. Nicely sized light tan lid.

The nose has sweet chocolatey malts first and foremost with a dark roasted and nutty character, with hints of smokiness. Cherry liquorices comes out as it warms a bit.

The flavor has a nice balance and approachability to it. Soft chocolate and caramel flavors with un-intimidating amounts of black coffee, and a more pronounced smoke character than the nose.

I was thinking Stone would try to overpower me with this one, but they didn't. This was a tasty and well balanced porter with a fairly light smokiness to it. Come to think of it I kinda wish they did try to blow me away. Oh well, still a good beer, and maybe they will come out with an imperial version.

Slynger, May 29, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: From a 22 oz bomber to a Stone Ruination mug. Dark brown with reddish tints, just barely transparent when held up to the light. The tan-colored head shows no sign of going anywhere.

Smell: Mild smoke at the forefront, charred grains and coffee. The smoke aroma comes out more and more as it warms, though it never becomes dominant.

Taste & mouthfeel: Roasty and smoky with subtleties of coffee and burnt bread. Dry throughout - I can't pick up any sweetness whatsoever. The body is medium-full and chewy, moreso than the average American porter. The smoke flavor is plainly noticeable but nicely balanced; it blends nicely with the other flavors rather than dominating the palate. The finish remains dry, revealing a mild earthy hop note that pairs nicely with the smoky backbone.

largadeer, May 27, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber I had resting in the cellar.

A: Pours very dark brown almost black with a pillowy light tan head. Can see some hints of light but otherwise opaque. Good lace clinging to the glass already.

S: Fresh, sweet roasted malt and toffee aroma real clean. Just a hint a smoke in there and a raisiny smell. Very aromatic malts with rich complexity. Notice a hint of fresh earthy hops as an accent.

T: Right off the start an abundant roasted malt sweetness that is so smooth and fresh tasting and not overly sweet. Some bitterness from burnt malts and hops gives this porter great balance. Malt flavors are a complex mix of charred meat, coffee, molasses, and licorice. The bitterness intensifies later on in the glass. The smoked malt flavor also becomes a bit more noticeable as this beer progresses.

M: A smooth, lightly carbonated, medium bodied porter that is spot on for the style.

D: Extremely drinkable porter right up there with some of the best I have ever tasted! Easy drinking and not too heavy to consume. Not sure it should be called a smoked porter though. Drink at cellar temperature for best flavor and it should pair well with a wide range of food styles.

scottbrew4u, May 22, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +13%

A: Served from bottle making a great black color with a dark brown head leaving a inch. of sweet foam on the top of my glass.

S: Good roasted smell of a porter, but it does not have the smoked aroma that I was hoping for in this beer.

T: This is where the smoke comes into the beer, it is just great. Starting with a great porter then as this porter flavor transforms into an almost sweet smoky flavor. Ending in a slight bitterness that just rounds out the flavors.

M: Great feeling across the mouth, most noticed along the sides of the tounge as the beer passes through.

D: For me this would be a great summer at the lake beer, but I have always enjoyed porters and stouts in the warmer seasons.

Roeters, May 22, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

appearance: very dark brown, with light lingering head

smell: light notes of chocolate, coffee and dark roasted malts yummy and a bit of the smoke that it is named after.

taste: a bit of dark fruit otherwise is as the nose with light hints of citrusy hops

mouthfeel: light-medium body, good carbonation good solid astringence

drinkability: very very nice, I find the bitterness in combination with the chocolate notes intoxicating, it's light, low and alcohol as well. Really drinkable!

Donnie2112, May 22, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

I just could not get as excited over this one as most people are. While the thiock body and rich tastes found in most Stone beers was present, the smoke overwhelmed all other scents and flavors. I did detect some chocolate and coffe in the nose and palate, but again, I had to fight through too much smoke to get there.

I would enjoy this beer much more as just a Porter, that hasn't been smoked,

kimcgolf, May 21, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed this one on 5/12/08.

Appearance is opaque black with a thick, tan head. A slight hint of dark ruby comes through the bottom of the glass. Some nice, thick lacing is left behind.

Smell is roasted malts, as well as a smoky smell that almost reminds me of rubber. There is a hint of chocolate as well.

Taste is smoky, toasted malts; I still can't get past that rubbery presence in the taste, although it goes away as the beer warms, and it's replaced by pleasant, smooth, toasty malts. There's also a hint of anise as it warms. Nice hops presence to balance it all out.

Carbonation is low to medium. This was an interesting version of a porter. The smoky/toasted flavor does get a little bit overwhelming in my opinion, especially after my second glass, but this beer is worth a try.

halfP1NT, May 21, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Took me ages to breakdown and buy this one. Guess I was afraid to find a better porter than Edmund Fitzgerald. Pours a deep brown, which is always nice. Smells like mocha malts, which probably don't exist, but that's what I thought of. Tastes like coffee beer that is thick on the palate. Great mouthfeel, but after it's a little too thick and sticky, however this is far too fantastic to let something like that be irritating. Once again, well done Stone. Best porter I've had to date.

detters, May 21, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Very dark, tawny brown color, clear ruby highlights against light. Giant tan head that hangs around for ever and leaves webs of thick lacing.
S: Subtle smokey aroma, with malt and caramel notes. Becomes a lot more sweet and less smokey as it warms up.
T: Sweet, chocolate and coffee malt, caramel, dark fruit flavors with a background of hop bitterness to balance the sweet. Not as much smoke flavor as expected.
M: Medium bodied and full of flavor with mild carbonation. Slightly thin for this style for my linkig
D: Excellent beer, not quite my favorite American porter, but definitely would have this again, especially at this price

yourefragile, May 16, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

This is a wonderful porter that is flavourful and has great body and character but is highly drinkable.

It's almost black, deep, reddish brown, with a big, dense, dark tan head and good lacing.

The taste is rich, deep, and complex, yet smooth. It has caramel, a nice coffee-chocolate quality and very faint hint of smokiness, giving a wonderful texture of sweetness and bitterness, with lasting, well-blended flavours. The feel is smooth, rich and a touch oily.

Offa, May 13, 2008

Poured from the bottle a deep dark brown with orange hues and a thick and frothy off-white head.

Aroma of roasted malts, caramel, raisins and chocolate. I expected a lot of smoke but found none.

Tastes of sweet roasted malts, chocolate, dark ripe fruit, and vanilla. Aftertaste of subtle light smokiness.

Medium-to-thick mouthfeel, creamy, and lightly carbonated.

I'm a wimp when it comes to smokey beers but this one is my favorite. The smokiness is subtle and lets the other flavors and aroma shine through. Right up my alley. One to try and enjoy.

Monkeyknife, May 11, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego!

Exner83, May 10, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

22 oz bottle in pint glass

pours very dark, nearly black, with almost purple-red highlights against light. cascades into 2 or 3 fingers of head then disipates into a thin foamy layer.

incredibly creamy texture. it has a sweetness that combines very nicely with the bite of it. smoked flavor is very subtle, but it is there on the aftertaste. very smooth, drinkable, and very well balanced.

ph2001, May 03, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

A nice dark beer. The beer is dark as pitch. A slight head. I got a nice malt small from the beer. I didn't detect any smokiness in the smell. But the taste, that's where I picked up on the smokiness. The initial taste reminded me of some fine smoked bacon. Which, I will admit is a strange flavor to associate with beer, but it's one I like. I noticed a roasted malt flavor as the beer sat on my tongue. Easy drinking, and not very filling.

deg, May 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to whoever gave me this beer. Stone isn't available in Missouri, so I know I revieved it in a trade. Unfortunatly I don't remember who sent it to me.

Poured this into my Val Dieu chalice. Poured a jet-black, very similar to Stones IRS but just a little less oily. Unfortunately this beer didn't pour much of head, mostly I think, because it was much cooler than it should have been. While it was pretty cold, the lacing lasted all the way down. "Amazingly rich, dark and delicious yet this is our least understood beer." This is off of the back of the bottle. Unfortunately, I have to disagree. While, I do agree with the dark and delicious part, I can't figure out while people wouldn't understand this beer. The only thing I don't get is why they would call this a "Smoked Porter". I couldn't find any smoke in this beer. The aroma is dark chocolate, a bit of coffee and apples. The taste follows suit with bitter, baker's chocolate and java. Still, there is absolutely no smoke involved in its flavor. I think the reason I like this beer is the lack of smoke flavoring. Really this beer tastes more like a thin double stout then a Smoked Porter. The mouthfeel is full; it is much thicker than most porters. I find this beer really drinkable. It's tasty and smooth but the one thing its not is Smoked. I think I would review this beer much higher if they would have left off the Smoked moniker.

hwwty4, Apr 28, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Vintage 2004

Pours dark brown, almost black and opaque.
Mahogany edging with a crimson hue.
A humble half-inch head of beige retreated quickly to a partial coverage skim coat and a few dots of lacework.

Aromatics are surprisingly vineous. Bitter chocolate, red wine, scorched caramel bits, some dark fruit, and a smidge of smoldering embers. A hint of vanilla rounds out the bunch.

Thin mouthfeel. Slightly creamy with low carbonation.

Dark chocolate, deep roasted malts, espresso grounds and mild smoke on the pallet.
All are quite balanced and the overall character is subdued and sessionesque.
Finishes with some lingering caramel drizzeled dark malts.

While the four years in the cellar has brought a complexity to the nose, the body and pallet has faded.

brewandbbq, Apr 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +8%

Pours a very dark brown, bordering on black, with a slight reddish hue to it. Monstrous foamy off-white head, sticks around a while, good lacing.

Aroma is of roasted malts, the slightest hint of coffee, but not much else.

Flavor of mostly roasted malts, a little bit of cocoa, a little bit of coffee. Fairly mild cops, but they're definitely present. Well balanced.

Quite smooth, on the heavy side of medium, lower carbonation.

Overall, a very drinkable brew, a very good example of an American Porter. I was slightly disappointed in the overall lack of smokyness - if you're going to call it smoked porter, you damn well better have some smokyness about it - but that was set off by the all-around good qualities of the brew. Possibly my favorite American Porter so far.

Drewcifer, Apr 27, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

This is probably my least favorite stone brew.
Pours a promising thick black with good off white head. Nose is strong, but I find not enough roasted malt, and very little smoke. Taste is ok, alot of that signature stone flavor, some very little roast, and very subtle smoke. hop bite on the finish is ok, maybe a bit strong for the style. Mouthfeel is pretty thin, and too dry. Drinkability is good. Overall this is an ok beer. Defenitely funky for a porter and quite soft for a smoked offering. I realize they intended for a subtle smoke, but it is the porter brew itself I find a bit off. a decent beer, but one I probably won't buy again. I love stone, their in my top ten breweries in the US, but i think they could have done better with this one. Used half of it to flavor a blacktail deer roast. will post if works well.

AKBelgianBeast, Apr 25, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Another great offering from Stone...

Pours out a very dark brown with ruby highlights... Slowly forms a 1 inch foamy bubbling head.... This laces a glass nicely ad well...

Aroma of dark roasted malts, perhaps some chocolate, and the merest hint of smoke...

A plethora of tastes from this one... Earthy hops. Sweet chocolate malts, slight presence of coffee, some vanilla, and then the finish of wood smoke that is not overdone and is really nice...As this warmed, the dark fruit aspect mentioned on the bottle definitely took the stage. This reminds me a lot of their RIS, just not as creamy and rich. Very delicious...

This paired wonderfully with the Chicken Rotel the wifey cooked tonight... Went perfectly with the spicy jalapenos...

Highly recommended porter...

Tilley4, Apr 21, 2008
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.