Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.77/5  rDev +19%

A- Very dark beer that pours with a thin head that goes lacy and sticks around the edge well.

S- Nice rich smell with a bevey of aromas. The most noticible one is the roasted coffee smell.

T- Very good taste to it, smooth with the right roasted taste. Nothing overpowering and overall very subtle.

M- Not as thick as I was expecting given the color. Just the right combination of bite to it to leave a pleasant feeling.

D- Combined with the subtle tastes, the light mouthfeel and the smooth drink, this is a very drinkable beer.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Man, oh man. As I drink this, the only thing I can hear on the news is about the fires that are raging in San Diego, and I feel a horrible sense of irony at the realization that I am drinking the Smoked Porter. Ugghhh. I hope everyone is okay out there. I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone at Stone.

Poured a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance - Poured an almost opaque black - it is translucent around the edges of the glass. It produced a fairly quickly dissipating 1-finger off-white head.

Smell - Smoky. It also has notes of chocolate, coffee, American Spirit Perique tobacco, roasted nuts, toffee or burnt sugar. Very interesting smell.

Taste - Wow. This is really good. I can taste everything that was included in the scent: smoke, chocolate, coffee, tobacco, roasted nuts, toffee, and burnt sugar. Since I read the bottle, I can also pick up on the anise and dark fruit.

Mouthfeel - Thinner than it looks. The brew is light to medium bodied. Velvet smooth, and goes down really easy.

Drinkability - This beer is ridiculously drinkable. The flavor, low ABV, and mouthfeel combine to make this a really easy drinking beer.

This isn't my favorite offering from Stone, but it is still better than a lot of beers on the market. If they sold this in Texas, I would certainly pick it up again. I will look for it when I travel out of state.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

A- 1 1/2in soapy creamy rocky tan head makes great webs of lace on the glass. the body looks black but it's actually a deep deep red. if you hold it up to a light bulb, you'll see striking plum-purple-burgundy rays and highlights.

S- dark chocolate and dried fruit, fig, currant, tobacco, huge roasted malt, give it a swirl again and i get smoky roasted coffee bean, nuts, burnt caramel, cigar smoke and wood ash.

T- initially a smoky bitter burnt wood raisin-prune taste, then cocoa coffee dark malt, the dark fruit becomes tart making a nice intro for some earthy woodsy hops and burnt caramel backed up by another puff of cigar-ish smoke for a malty charcoal aftertaste.

* with determination, i found some black licorice flavors like the label suggested hidden behind the smoky malt. it was right in with the dark fruit, but it was more like a jagermeister anise herbal type taste, very delicate, and it goes great with the smoky cocoa tobacco.

MF- chewy in the mouth but velvety smooth goin down, medium carbonation tingles become creamy. sits rather light in the belly despite its seemingly thick texture.

D- the smoke is a nice novelty, but this is a treat to savor, not a go-to beer or something to session. puttin away the brown bomber though, was no problem at all.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Large, creamy light brown head on top of a totally opaque, black body. The head has great retention and it leaves a thick layer of lace on the glass as it slowly recedes.

S - Chocolate, raisins, hops and alcohol. The chocolatey malt aroma is most prevalent, mixing with notes of coffee and caramel. There are also some dark fruit aromas, figs and raisins, which meld nicely with the spicy hop notes.

T - The smoke comes in just as it hits the tongue. The roasty, smoked, slightly sour flavor dominates the palate. Hops appear in the middle, but don't overpower. The finish is smoke, charcoal, and tobacco that slowly merge into the essence of very dark chocolate.

M - Moderate body and carbonation (thinner than I expected, but I am not complaining as it helps the drinkability.

D - This beer is a feast of complex, dark flavors. The best aspect of this brew is the way the flavors merge in a long, drawn-out finish with a beautiful chocolate character. The easy drinkability is all the more impressive considering how bad smoked beer can get in the wrong hands

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

I've had this particular bottle for six months. Not sure why I waited so long, but it's time to drink it!

Pours a dark brown, black in the middle. Not quite opaque in the light, where the edges turn a lighter shade of reddish brown. Small head of light tan foam. No lacing that sticks around. Head fizzles down to a skim, with a ring around the edge of the glass.

Banana esters in the aroma, bready dark malt like a Doppelbock. No perceptible smokiness that I can smell.

Very malty flavor, very mild hint at smoke, with slight banana from the yeast coming through at the end. Mildly sweet with a mild astringency. Creamy, lactic feel, pretty smooth with a well hidden ABV.

Had to split the bomber, as it was fairly filling. Probably won't seek this out again but it was worth trying.

$4.99 @ Liquor Stop, Highland, IN.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Pours a very deep dark brown color with a khaki colored head that left some chunk lacing on the glass. The smell is of chocolate and carob, perhaps some wet wood burning on a fire. The taste is of bitter chocolate, roasted coffee beans, burnt caramel, honey, bitter dark fruit, and some grassy hops. A pretty pronounced hop flavor but still takes a backseat to the maltiness of the brew. The feel is well bodied and smooth, finishes bitter. A good rich porter, with excellent chocolate flaovrs. Not much of a smoked presence.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

This is the first review of the beer I picked up last week at Merchants Fine Wine in Dearborn, Michigan. I can't say enough about the good service and sage advice and I intend to go back soon.

While my mission was to come back with a cross sample of fine Michigan beer, the Gargoyle caught my eye and I couldn't resist adding this to the haul.

Poured black in the glass, quite opaque actually. Tan head was a solid finger with moderate retention and good lacing. Smelled of biscotti, milk chocolate, toffee, almonds. I found the taste quite agreeable, mocha and chocoate predominant with mild bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is silky and smooth, well balanced with a light body. I found the smoke understated in aroma and in taste, subtle at best; an elegant Smoke Porter and very drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours with a large creamy off white head that stays two fingers thick for the entire beer. Lots of lacing rims the glass. Has a very dark brown and ruby color.

Smells of sweet roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a bit of smokiness.

Tastes similar to the nose. Notes of molasses, coffee, roasted malt, chocolate, the hops come through nicely. The smokiness subtle but still has an effect on things. Another great beer from Stone.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

dark black appearance with a good sized tan head and good retention
some chocolate and coffee smell
a good thick beer with a warming feeling in the mouth
taste of chocolate and coffee and a little black licorice(?) very good
smoky overtones also come out in taste and mouthfeel.
this is a very thick and good beer one of the better porters out there has a slight aftertaste due to the smokiness but i liked it, next time i would like to
try this with a steak or some ribs.

4.73/5  rDev +18%

It's funny to officially review a beer I have had many times before, Smoked Porter is one of Stone's core lineup (joining AB, IPA, and Pale Ale as the original year-round offerings). Here goes. . .
A- Pours an opaque black with tinges of dark brown highlights, head is big, thick, foamy and tan, big thick lacing throughout... superb
S- Aroma is dominated by a mix of chocolate and coffee malts, wonderfully balanced with a hint of good old Stone hops in the background, smoked hues abound along with some woody/cedar/roasty tones
T- Initial taste is rich and creamy coffee-forward malts backed by some cocoa tones all dominated by that wonderful smoky presence, some dark fruits (fig, plum) come in soon followed by a slight bitter hoppiness which characterizes the short, sweet finish
M- Fairly medium-bodied porter, very creamy mouthfeel and a perfect amount of carbonation
D- Easy drinking porter at 6% with very well-masked alcohol presence, easily a session beer that is wonderfully delicious and complex. I am not a huge porter fan, but Stone Smoked Porter is simply the best of this category and one of the top beers I have ever reviewed, do not hesitate to have several bottles readily available for BBQ or meat-intensive dinners, and be sure to grab the special Porter with chipotle peppers whenever it is available at Stone. . . YUM!!!

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours dark brown with dark ruby accents when backlit. Head is light brown, one fingered, and sticky...lacing halfway down my pint glass. The nose is quite nice but the aromas that are there aren't as prevelant as expected. Roasted malts are present along with some ester notes.

First up is a quick little bite followed by a roasted malt middle. Slightly bitter chocolate notes in the finish along with some hints of burnt toast and hop tinges.

Mouth feel is quite good. A good robust porter but not over the top in its' chewiness. Very drinkable for the style but not on my list of sessionable porters despite it being a damn good straight up porter with a nice little twist.

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown color witha nice brown head. Aroma is nice and creamy with some subtle smokiness. Taste is nice and smoky with a good balance of malts as well. I can even detect some burnt coffee flavors towards the back of the throat. The aftertaste is dry and smoky as well. Very drinkable and would compliment certain foods well. I love this beer.

4.01/5  rDev 0%

A: Near black body. Two finger tan head with very good retention and lacing.

S: Very smoky aroma, but little else comes through.

T: Chocolate and coffee flavors abound - along with the sense that this was brewed in a smokehouse.

M: Low to medium carbonation. Not quite full bodied. Pleasant lasting aftertaste.

D: Despite the strong flavor & substantial body, it's very drinkable - sessionable even (if only I'd have been smart enough to buy more).

Not my favorite porter, but a darn fine offering & one I'll be happy to go back to - on the rare occasion I can find it.

4.46/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into my Anchor Liberty Ale glass.

Pours a classic 1.5 inch off wite head that is thick and billowing. Leaves a complete lacing on the side of the glass. How could this look any more classic?

Smells of alcohol and toasty malts. After that, a bisqut like smell. Some sweetness. Where is the "smoke'?

AHhhh...I can taste the smoke...hence it's name. Bitter..very bitter for a porter. Yummy. Sweet light chocolate on the gulp. Alcohol and hop bitterness on the aftertaste.

Perfect amout of carbonation. Perfect creaminess. Smooth tasty porter. Sweet and bitter. I have had much THICKER porters...but this one works for me!

I love this brewery. I love this beer .
I have had this one about 30 times before...This is my first rating of it.

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

On tap at the brewery after the tour. I have had this before but this one had more flavor. Dark black with a cocoa head. Smells smoky. This just tastes way too smoky for me, I wonder how they get the smoke flavor?? My cousin's exact words were :"You can't hide behind your IPA forever!". Needless to say the Stone employees did not take a liking to us. I bet this would be better with the chipotle peppers or vanilla beans to temper that smokiness.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%

Got this on tap at the Yardhouse in San Diego, CA. Was served with a rootbeer like color and head. Head was a tan wheat color. Darker than most heads I've seen. The body of the beer is a pitch brown color with mahogany undertones. Smells were a nutty, yeasty brew, not bad, fits for this beer. Alcoholic notes as well. Taste was with nice campfire flavors burnt and roasted barley. Definately a dry one, like licking the ash off a burnt coal. Drinkability is fair on this one, nothing to write home about, but would definately order again.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

The smoked porter comes in a dark bottle with no freshness date. It pours a hazy dark hue with very little foamy head. The smell is unique and has a nice roastiness and smoky hint to it. The flavor of the beer is nice and smooth and in the mouth is quite chewy. This is a bold and strong porter but well done.

3.52/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks to Hotterthanhell for this bottle...This one is a great intro Bier for non-smokers...

Pours up a fine bubbled head that drops too quick back into the deep brown/blackisch elixir thats shows hints orange around the corners of the glass. The aroma features a nice mellow smoke aroma with roasted sweet malts in the background. The hops are nice and provide an earthy touch. I did find the smoke aroma to be a bit medicinal...

The hops are earthy and come as strong as the smoke in the flavor. The roast malts are sharp and matched well with chocolate malts. The dark malts do provide a lingering bitterness. This Bier for me is somewhat stout-like due to the roast..Definatley a Robust Porter if a to be called a Porter. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and nice. Nice try by this brewery and a nice intro Bier for non-smokers. I'll stick to the Bamberg Biers...

Zum Wohl

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

22oz. Bomber from Party Source poured into a pint glass.

A: 2finger+ Tan head. Good retention and lacing. Pours pitch black letting no light through.

S: Actually kinda citrusy. Some plum/fig notes. Nice and sweet smelling smoke. Reminds me of my smoker filled with hardwood chips soaked in cider.

T/M: BIG smokey malts! Hops are there but are mostly dominated by the smoke. Tasty but probably a little extreme for me. More dark fruits add a touch of sweetness. Body isn't nearly as heavy as I had thought it to be. Getting some slight sourness at the finish.

D: As I said before, it's probably a little too extreme yet for me but I can appreciate it for what it is. Would work good sipping during a winter movie night. This bomber will be enough. I'll try this again around jan. 2009 and see what I think then.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Stone's contribution to the world of extreme, or rather, offbeat porters is near-black in color with a creamy, off-white head. There are muted aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper. This is an extremely dry and bitter porter, with little malt sweetness to match the hop presence and dry, smokiness. The smoke flavors, though advertised as central, are really only second thoughts--complements to an otherwise typical robust porter. I could have handled more smoke, more sweetness, and more pronounced aromas all around.

I love the mouthfeel of this brew: it is dry, powerful, and heavy--something that really lives up to the 'robust' moniker. Unfortunately, the sacrifice for such a palate-challenging brew comes in drinkability. It's for sipping, remote from the industrial, quaffable origins of this style.

Overall, this is a tasty, spicy porter that is most notable for its rough-textured mouthfeel and lack of drinkability. If you want a really "smoky" porter, stick with something else (Left Hand's Smokejumper comes to mind).

Pretty black in color with some red, yellowish, and brown highlights, 1cm light coco colored head. Chocolaty aroma, charred grains with some underlying smokiness and jerky notes. The smokiness stays quite subdued upfront but lingers noteably in the aftertaste. An overall chocolaty porter, with some charred grain and coffee notes, which pairs well with the light smokiness and keeps it quite drinkable. Medium bodied, slightly dry sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: every smoked beer I have had has been super meaty, peaty, and almost jerky like, and this was way different than that. The smokiness stays in the background and just adds some complexity, I thought it was more porter than smoked porter. That said its pretty damn good, and way more drinkable than the other smoked beers I have had.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

OK.... I am probably prejudiced.... because I've LOVED every Stone Brew I've tried.... but here goes:

I poured the 22 oz Bomber into a pint glass. It was a bit of a 'hard" pour that resulted in a 2-1/2" head of tan goodness. The beer is ebony in color.... no light shone through when held to the light.

The head diminished slowly and left behind lot's of clumpy lacing on the glass.

The smell was full of sweet caramel and dark chocolate.

The taste: mmmm.... goodness in a bottle... the first thing that hits me is the smokey taste... I can see why this is a SMOKED PORTER.... it tastes like a campfire thats been smoldering for a week! The dark chocolate pokes through as well as the expresso coffee. The finish is a bit fruity.... wow.... very complex!

Mouthfeel: nicely carbonated.... great mouth coating and aftertaste.

Drinkability: If I had more, I would drink more... but, alas.... the Bomber is gone.... Oh to live in San Diego.... I would have this alot! Highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours almost black with a ruby hue. 3 fingers of light chocolate milk head with an aggressive pour that holds then dies to a ring. Smells of chocolate and a little caramel with a hint of smokiness. Tastes as it smells, subtle but delightful flavors and even an ever so slight hoppiness. Medium, creamy and smooth as silk in the mouth with a slight carbonation tickle. Drinks like a session beer and delightfully so.

4.82/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours an almost opaque deep dark brown almost black with a frothy dark tan head that slowly diminishes to a thin layer and leaves decent lacing on the glass. The aroma was of smoked malt, burnt espresso and molasses. The taste is a wonderful blend of smoke, black malt, espresso, molasses, and a hint of dried fruits, wonderfully complex and not at all overbearing. The mouthfeel is a near perfect light medium bodied with low carbonation. This beer is the almost perfect accent to a chilly rainy evening.

Appearance: Dark brown, nice foamy head.

Smell: Sweet, smoky, maybe a little alcohol?

Taste: The initial tastes are of slightly smoky BBQ sauce, kind of hickory brown sugar. Later on, a little chocolate and coffee notes show up.

Drinkability: If it was available in MN I would probably have it fairly often. Reasonably priced and tasty.

I had this on a recent trip to Indiana. I have had this beer before, but didn't remember much about it. I was hoping for a little more smoked flavor but this was still a tasty brew.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.