Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Tupperwolf

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Pours from a typically handsome 22oz bottle into my Stone Russian Stout tulip a dark, dark color - it's just a tiny shade lighter than true black, and allows a few shafts of plum-ruby light through. Nice color, and pours a thin light tan head of tiny bubbles that burst and fall to a thin covering after a few moments. I'd hoped for better head retention, but I'm somewhat biased toward any dark beer. Lacing is very minimal, slippery at best.

Smell is rich and flavorful; I can smell it from where it sits on the desk, tempting me for my first sip. Deep, lusty notes of coffee, chocolate, and smoky cinnamon! Fantastic!

That first sip is surprisingly smooth and light; I'm something of a porter newbie, and with that dark color and chocolatey smell I expect something thick and chewy, but to my surprise the carbonation, almost absent in the way the beer looks and forms its head, fizzes heartily to life on my tongue and swirls the crisp, light liquid around.

The first few seconds are almost tasteless as the carbonation comes to life, but when it fades away the true smoky nature of this brew is quite evident. Depending on your breathing, there are extremely distinct notes of chocolate and espresso, and sometimes an overpowering (to me) smokiness, especially as it warms - you can taste the oaky campfire smoke. Balanced okay - I'm rating the taste a 4 - I am certain now that smoked porter isn't my style, but if it's your style, you'll like it.

Drinkability is okay due to the light nature of this brew. Alcohol started to get boozy and intrusive as the beer warmed, leaving me feeling a bit queasy on the final sips, which wasn't helped by the rather overpowering taste of smoke.

12-30-2005 12:27:50 | More by Tupperwolf
bennetj17

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev +5%

The smoked porter looks very dark black/brown with minimal head that forms a ring after a short while. The smell is mostly sweet, with a hint of chocolate, no smokiness to speak of. The taste is sweet, with a coffee accent, robust and toasty. Not overly smoky though, as the name would suggest. Its only mildly bitter at first, but give it some time. It feels thick on the tongue, smooth, and has a dryness to it. Good carbonation. Well balanced, it is a fine porter, but I feel the smokiness is too subtle for it to be named a Smoked Porter...

12-25-2005 05:13:50 | More by bennetj17
yelterdow

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Served in an imperial pint glass at above fridge temperature.

Appearance- Dark brown, almost black with ruby hues at the very bottom of my glass. The head is surreal, displaying a generous three fingers of depth. Off-white (almost tan) and persistent, it laces nicely all the way down.

Smell- Huge chocolate and coffee notes, with a fantastic smokiness as an all-encompassing backdrop. Tremendous and deep, this simply rocks.

Taste- A rich, chocolatey malt character explodes on the palate, then gives way to a dark roasted coffee presentation. In the finish, we have a powerful hop bitterness that whips the sides and back of the tongue relentlessly... it lingers on and on for several minutes. That is my one and only complaint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Very easy, foamy consistency that showcases the chocolate and coffee notes rather than get in the way of them. This porter is aggressive yet very well balanced, daring and memorable. For that, I give Stone's brewers a highly earned salute.

12-22-2005 03:57:59 | More by yelterdow
sockeye101

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Interesting beer, this one. Nice super dark color with only hints of deep red glinting through when held up to the light, head ws nice and lacing was excellent. Aroma was very pleasing giving off roasted coffee, chocolate, malts and an earthy nutty tone, very complex. The taste is initially coffee and chocolate with malts then a hoppy bitterness followed by a smooth smoky flavor and a trailing bitterness at the end. I've never experieced smokiness in a beer before, but it's not bad. Overall a good drink....

12-22-2005 02:33:18 | More by sockeye101
masikon

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours nearly black, ruby highlights appear when held up to a light source. Head was high and profound, receding with much lacing looking wonderful in the glass. Nose was burnt in essence, as one would expect it was very earthy, mellow, and malty with hints of cocoa powder more than chocolate. Taste was surprisingly subtle for a Stone beer, usually they are more in the "knock your socks of syle" but this one's greatness lies in the subtle suggestions of cocoa and earthy wood with a distinct spiciness in the finish. Smoking is not overwhelming but adds a unique flavor component which makes the beer more interesting than most. Mouthfeel is medium, goes down smoothly... big enough that after two, I would probably be pretty full but that is generally true to the style. overall another great beer from Stone, more subtle than most of their offerings yet just as profound.

12-13-2005 01:32:41 | More by masikon
malty

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark, dark brown with ruby edges. Fluffy & loose 1" khaki colored head. Thick, beautiful lacing.

Scent is billowing over with milk chocolate, milk chocolate & milk chocolate. Vanilla & dark roasted malts a fastened-in quite nicely. Everything about this bouquet screams sweet & creamy.

All the scents mentioned above follow through in the flavor very accurately. A beautifully balanced hop presence counterweighs the chocolate & roasted malt flavors beautifully. There's also a splendid bitterness the hops provide that give it a full spectrum tasting experience; Creamy, sweet, dry & somewhat bitter. There is a sneaky smoky flavor that commingles with the hops making it camouflaged. I'd be hard pressed to think this was a smoked porter if it wasn't stated on the bottle.

Mouthfeel is delectable. How many times have I used the adjective 'creamy'? Well, I'll use it again for the mouthfeel. Carbonation is comprised of larger feeling bubbles and is on the tamer side of kinetic. A somewhat dry finish makes the long lingering roasted malts fade rather poetically.

Drinkability is top-notch. I'm going to finish the rest of this bomber sitting fireside in my living room right now.

Overall a stellar porter which I regret not having tried much sooner. This beer has everything for me. This is a creamy (there's that adjective again!) version of an Edmund Fitzgerald and then some - utterly fantastic!

12-11-2005 22:44:00 | More by malty
Phatz

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer pours black with a slight red glow around the edges. Nice 3 finger head, ivory in color, that lasted for a while. Smell had an interesting orange tangy smell that faded into the malts. mildly sweet. Pleasantly malty. Overall it is a mild hidden aroma. I would have liked to see it a bit more robust (but its American not English) and it was decent. The aroma did improved as the beer warmed. It was not noticeably smoked but a good American Porter. Taste is somewhat simple; not overly complex. Malty, sweet like soda (syrup-thin, not thick like a stout). A bit of bitter hoppyness at the end and in the aftertaste; just enough to make the sides of your tongue curl up a bit. The taste did not give away many hints that it was smoked. I only got a little hint of smoked in the aftertaste (and honestly, in a burp – which I probably shouldn’t say). Since it is not a terribly interesting flavor (good though), its a good choice for when beer is not the only thing on your palate, with your dinner or desert etc. Mouthfeel is smooth and light, crispy and refreshing. Drinkability. It is a good flavor but not overly interesting. I think it goes down easy, low ABV; all attributes that make it a good social setting beer, for when your not paying as much attention to idolizing interesting beers. This was pretty sessionable though IMO.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-09-2005 07:41:42 | More by Phatz
kennyo

22 oz bottle

Pours a dark black color with a slight reddish tint and a tan head, approximately 1/2", a good looking beer

AAroma - chocolatey, rosaty but I do not pick up any smoke

Taste delicious, a little roasty, a little chocolatey, a hint of coffee that finishes crisp and somewhat dry but once again I daon't get any smoke

Mouthfeel - smooth and very drinkable. Another fine product from Stone Brewing

12-07-2005 02:34:35 | More by kennyo
veggiemafia

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

22oz. bomber into an imperial pint.

Really dark black. I had to hold this one up to a 100w bulb just to see any kind of ruby transluscence. Nice mocha head that just leaves islands in the brew, but great lacing.

Smell is dark chocolate and French roast coffee with a shot of espresso. Hops are somewhere in the very back of the smell, and it's kind of all filtered through some roasty smokiness.

Well hopped for a porter, which I like, but I think it's kind of under-smoked, if anything. In a blind taste test if I had to choose, I wouldn't say this was a smoked porter. The smoke just kind of lingers in the back of everything, and it's nice, but still, not really a presence.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but still pretty good. Good carbonation.

After a pint of this at a pub, I probably wouldn't order another. It's good, but I'd want to try something new.

If I'm in a smoked porter mood, for awhile I'll stick to Brooklyn's.

12-06-2005 03:28:04 | More by veggiemafia
barknee

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours dark mahogany with an initial mocha colored head, settling to a slick. Nose is not particularly smoky... more of a roasted element to it. Taste is very malty, well-roasted chicory flavors, chocolate and hops pushing their way throughout the mix. Actually this brew is quite bitter courtesy of mass-hopping. Medium in body, this brew has good weight to it and a persistent flavor profile. For a porter it is very concentrated and robust... chock-full of all things good and necessary in a brew of this style. The mouthfeel is lightly syrupy and slightly tannic, no doubt from the generous hopping of the brew. A very good though not monumental porter that the masses are sure to enjoy. (Are you sure it's only 5.9%.. ;-)

12-05-2005 01:07:46 | More by barknee
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A: Ruby-black, plenty of tan head, only a little retention, but some nice lacing.

S: Dark chocolate malt, slightly fruity (like British yeast).

T: Predominantly dark chocolate. Slightly bready, some raisin, dark caramel sweetness beats the roasty bitterness into submission. Very well balanced (bittersweet). Only a hint of smoke in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate to full body, moderate carbonation.

D: As it warms, the boldness steps forward. It's a big brew with plenty of flavour. The 650 mL bomber is plenty.

12-03-2005 23:24:12 | More by Derek
BuckSpin

Maine

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured as a 22oz bomber. A beautiful, deep rudy ruby umber, rich color, with a splotched, firm 1/4" head of mocha hued foam that disappated quickly, but not immediatelty, a ghost slick of foam remaining on the surface & laced stubbornly on the glass edge. Nose is odd - sharp, burnt sugar bittersweet, a little edgy, maybe a wisp of smoke, not what I was expecting.

Its smoky nature is noticable on the tongue, especially the more it warms. A little peaty, hints of baking chocolate, bitter & crisp, yet somewhat level & flat. The bitterness (again, more like baking chocolate than hops) is on the pallete & throat as you swallow. Surprisingly, there is a very crisp, clean, dare I say a whisper of mint as an echo of an aftertaste.

This is an odd call. I love porters, but this one has me a bit confused, I would certainly drink it again, but would probably be more likely to take a chance on another porter. After you've had an Edmund Fitz, it seems like its all downhill...

11-27-2005 01:51:41 | More by BuckSpin
Bcant

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz brown bomber with Stone silk screen label.

This is a very attractive brew. Very dark, almost onyx black, but some hits of red with shown to light. ¾ inch head that looks like the coffee froth atop a well made espresso. The head settles as it should, particularly in the middle but leaves delicate lacing. Bidder sweet aroma with some charcoal notes. Starts with a sweet malt flavor, transitions into burnt brown sugar caramel flavor, and finishes smoky and dry. Slightly alcoholic. Soft yet big and a little bit chewy, a little bit sticky. Nice biter aftertaste and dry palate, alcoholic notes in the flavor do not compromise the drinkability.

11-21-2005 04:25:52 | More by Bcant
ppoitras

3.7/5  rDev -8%

22oz bottle recived as part of BIF 24 from beerhandy. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1" brown head above the clear, dark brown brew, with reddish highlights. Head lasts nicely, with delicate sticky lacing. Aroma is sweet, a bit boozy, with wisps of smoke here and again. Taste is vinous and sweet as well, with the smoke there, but shouted down by the syrupiness and alcohol notes. However, looking past the fact that I'd want more smoke, this was still a beer with a smooth mouthfeel, and good drinkability.

11-19-2005 19:14:01 | More by ppoitras
Jacobob10

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Brought this bottle back with me from San Diego. Mmmmm fresh Stone beer.

Dark brown pour with a small tan head. The head disappates rather fast, no lacing either. Surprisingly mild aroma. There's some roasted malts there, I just need to stick my nose into the mug to find them. Good taste, the malts taste more burnt than anything here. Some smokiness is noticable but it doesn't really strike me as a "smoked" beer. Mouthfeel is dry and doesn't amaze me.

Overall, I wasn't amazed with this beer. It's decent, but there's better available from Stone. I kind of wish I drank half of this and used the other half in a pot of chili. Mmmmm now THAT would have been delicious.

11-19-2005 03:58:16 | More by Jacobob10
jaluria

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Opaque black with a thick, foamy head that stays for quite a while. Aromas of roasted malts, raisins, and dry roasted coffee seem to arise. The taste is great with a robust character that ends with a crisp, dry aftertaste flavored by fruits. The roasted taste is subtle and not overpowering in the least, as I expected since Stone is known for going over the top. More flavors and aromas become apparent as the beer warms adding new dimensions to the beer.

11-14-2005 16:01:30 | More by jaluria
Ahhdball

First smoked porter and since it's from Stone I should be pleased. Poured thick, dark brown with a small beige head that dissipated quickly.
Smelled the smoke, some hops, and baking chocolate.
Coffee, heavy malt and a slight sensation of smoke followed by a decent hop bite.
Mouthfeel was slightly thin, but not disappointing. I would love to have this again sometime.

11-14-2005 09:41:10 | More by Ahhdball
Higravity

2.83/5  rDev -29.6%

Where's the smoke. Warning this is not a smoked porter, more like a sweet malty oak porter. I has a great thin black body with a good off-white head. But the smell is of a sweet porter or stout, no smoke. Mostly just a good porter but mostly just blah for a smoked porter. Smoke, I think not hence the taste suffers, just call it a porter and let it ride.

11-03-2005 14:28:06 | More by Higravity
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

3.9/5  rDev -3%

This is only the second offering I have ever had from Stone brewing, the first being the Vertical '05.

I suppose trying the Vertical first off the bat set the bar pretty high, as I had high hopes for the smoked porter. I enjoyed the porter - it just didnt quite live up to expectations.

There was really more of an oak taste than a smoked taste to this beer. But I'm fine with that. Very smooth and not all that heavy in the mouthfeel. Not overpoweringly rich, which is also a good thing.

I dunno... I just hoped for something a little more complex or "deeper" overall. This was still a great porter, but only slightly above the other better smoked porters I've had. It didn't blow away the competition like I thought it would.

11-03-2005 03:58:03 | More by chOAKbarrell
goschool

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Smoked beers are not everyone's cup of tea. I quite enjoy a good smoked porter or smoked lager, but drinking an Aecht Sclenkerla Marzen was probably my worst craft beer experience. This Stone Smoked Porter is of the less overt family of rauchbiers.

The pour is ultra-dark mahogany. The head is tan and sticks around until the end. Roasted malts and enough, but not too much, smoke make up the welcoming nose. The taste isn't too far off. Malts- roasty with mild coffee and chocolate flavors dominate up front leaving the smokiness for the finish.

This stuff is remarkably smooth. The smoked flavor keeps it interesting, but it lowers drinkability ever so slightly. I don't think I could drink more than a bomber in a night and it's not something I'm going to crave all the time, but it sure can hit the spot

10-29-2005 08:17:07 | More by goschool
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

A difficult beer for me to rate. If I were to rate it just by its porter characteristics (creamy body, subtle roastiness, beautiful coffee, chocolate, hops interplay) it would be over a 4 overall. However, the smoke quality, as subtle as it is, really spoiled it for me. I like smoked beers, and can appreciate using it as an "element" rather than the dominating factor, but the smoke in this beer tasted more like ash. This is still a GOOD beer and it’s very close to GREAT, but that final failing it very frustrating indeed!

10-18-2005 21:01:31 | More by fisherman34
Tajmoben

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours dark black with red highlights, with and off-white head. Almost no head, even from a sloppy pour.

Smell has hints of dark roasted coffee, milk chocolate, and teriyaki....

The taste is as good or better than any porter I've had. This is a big, complex beer. Honestly there's so much going on with the flavor that I really don't know where to start, however, if you like porters...you'll love this.

The mouthfeel is actually pretty light, with a moderate ammount of noticable carbonation. The aftertaste is the only place i really get any "smoke" from this brew and it manifests itself in the strange cola/charcoal aftertaste.

For a dark beer this is very drinkable, would go great with food prepared on the grill.

Hopefully Stone will either step up the distro, or another friend will make a trip to Cali. If this was available in GA I'd def drink it regularly. Still got the arrogant on in the fridge, hopefully it won't dissapoint.

10-13-2005 23:37:05 | More by Tajmoben
bjohnson

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a dark almost black color with a nice tan head that has good retention and leaves wonderful lacing. Chocolate and burnt malt aroma with a hint of roastyness and bitter coffee. Same flavors intermingle with a smokey flavor. Quite velvety smooth on the palate and very drinkable. Love this beer in the winter sitting near a fire.

10-08-2005 22:19:36 | More by bjohnson
grindcore666

4.38/5  rDev +9%

This is my first porter AND my first Stone...purchased at a Beverages N More. Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass..

Appearance: Incredibly dark brown. You could call it black if you weren't looking hard enough. 2 finger head..tan and really fluffy, dies slowly.

Smell: Smells thick and toasty...oak, roasted malts, chocolate.

Taste: Tastes like creamy chocolate up front, some tasty, delicate hops fade in and out as you savor your sip. Dark chocolate aftertaste. Frickin delicious. Really sweet towards the bottom of the glass.

Mouthfeel: Gentle..slight carbonation - a small bite before the swallow. And a lingering, enjoyable aftertaste.

Drinkability: A very friendly beer...tastes excellent glass after glass.

I am fully impressed, this is probably one of my favorites thus far. If these were cheaper or available in a 6 pack, I would drink them religiously.

10-08-2005 04:08:48 | More by grindcore666
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Stone Smoked Porter looks good, but not great. Its head is a little lacking and it's not quite black. Still, it looks like a formidable brew. Big nose of sweet caramel malt, with a bit of wet dog/vegetables. Really doesn't smell like a porter much at all. The flavor, fortunately, is much improved over the smell, with a big smoked flavor, as promised by the title. Still, there's not as much chocolate flavor as I'd like; the main malt character is the almost rotten-sweet caramel, along with licorice as it warms. Good medium mouthfeel. Good beer, but more Smoked than Porter.

Thanks to Px2GrafX for the bottle.

10-01-2005 17:21:04 | More by battlekow
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.