Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

I picked a bomber of this up at World Market in Western Hills over in Cincinnati. Right off the bat I noticed a smokey and chocolately aroma. It pours a nice head and the color is black/blood red. The taste is heavenly. I have always been a fan of stout but not so much porter. This has changed my mind. It is very smooth and surprisingly refreshing. This brew will certainly accompany my bbq this summer. Well done Stone Brewing Company, well done.

pumarocks, Feb 27, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Great looking beer! A deep, dark read -- nearly black -- with ruby highlights. Small off-white head accents it.

Aroma is rauchbier-like: burnt wood, barbecue mesquite, dark burnt chocolate and... bacon!

The roasted malts really show up in the flavour. Good hop backbone as well, with a smoky finish and bitter, dry aftertaste that morphs into sweet candy sugar over time. As it warms, additional flavours (milk chcolate, sweet toffee, banana) start to show up. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

Fantastic beer!

crwills, Feb 26, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Executive Summary: Love 'em or hate 'em, Stone has a balanced lineup - pale and dark, traditional and eccentric. I think they excel at most of what they do, and the Smoked Porter is an example of a solid brew. Not a standout, but they don't all need to be (a la Dogfish Head - don't worry, Sam & Co...you're still one of my favorites). Classic roasted malt flavors and a smooth texture make this a very nice porter.

Appearance: Pours a clean, deep brown/black with ruby accents. Head is coffee ice cream that reduces to a film fairly quickly.

Smell: Roasted malts, a faint hint of the smoke. A little sweeter-smelling than I had expected. I also get a faint whiff of alcohol, which surprises me given the relatively low ABV.

Taste: The sweet, then roasted, then nearly burnt character of the malt is first, accented by the (not in your face) smoky flavor and followed by a crisp hop bitterness. If I didn't know this was a smoked porter, I might not have singled the flavor out. No evidence of alcohol in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Fairly dead-on for a porter. I've said this many times - the mouthfeel is perhaps my favorite porter attribute, because I love me some deep, dark malt, but don't always want the girth that goes with the impy stouts.

Drinkability: This, like many of my favorite porters, scores high on my drinkability scale for three reasons: great roasted flavor, light body and low acohol.

kpantz, Feb 25, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

I've had one bad experience with a smoked porter ( can't remember what or when), but ever since I've avoided anything smoked until I finally tried this porter. Apperance of dark chocolate with a thick head. Aroma of smoke, sweet coffee and roasted malts. If I were to pour a packet of hot cocoa mix into coffee and add a dash of smoke, this is the taste I percieved. Medium in body, overall not what I expected from this porter, where expectation was low, final outcome was quite exellent.

Bookseeb, Feb 25, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottlee into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Dark black with a thick tan head. Excellent retention with gobs of lace.

S: Couldn't get much more out of it than roasted malt with a faint whiff of smoke.

T: Roasted malt beginning with a bitter hop finish. The smoke took on an odd mediciney cough drop flavor that I didn't care for. It got better as it came up to temp.

M: Thin and prickly. It got slightly thicker around 60º.

D: Unbalanced towards the bitter. Decent drinkability but I found it to be less satisfying than I had hoped.

GbVDave, Feb 17, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Aged for two years.

Appearance: Pours a vary dark garnet with a nice head that retains reasonably well and leaves scattered lacing around the pint

Smell: The predominate aroma is dark chocolate and the smoke comes through with a slightly minty aspect

Taste: Starts out with a dark chocolate and smoked flavor that builds in minty complexity; after the swallow, some earthy bitterness creeps in and joins that minty smoke flavor to provide a nicely balanced finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied (just right for a porter) with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I was a little concerned about the age on this bottle given the ABV but it drank wonderfully

brentk56, Feb 17, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank on-tap at Deep Ellum, Allston, MA

Poured a deep brown/black with a two-finger, bubbly, cocoa-colored head that slowly faded to a thick ring of lace. Large, irregular-shaped patches of lacing coated the glass.

Aroma was was quite subtle at first but became somewhat more noticeable as the beer warmed. Dark malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee beans came through in the nose.

Taste was rather mild and tame. The beer was somewhat sharp up front (I believe this was due to the alcohol) before the roasted malts, bitter espresso and hints of dark chocolate became apparent. By mid-palate the hops kicked in and lasted well into the finish, where they became quite strong. The lingering aftertaste consisted of a mix of roasted malts and a moderate smokiness.

Mouthfeel was rather thin (yet creamy) and the body was fairly light for the style.

I expected more in general from this beer (more intensity, more complexity and more body). Overall, this was a disappointment.

Damian, Feb 14, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Ap-Pours dark with a lighter contrasting head of which there is plenty, decent retention.
Sm- Smells nutty with a smoky background.
Taste - Smoky taste was prominent, but suprisingly mild mannered. I was not sure what to expect from this beer and was pleasantly suprised. Overall nutty/smoky with a mild hoppiness.
Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation, medium bodied.
Overall - Suprisingly good, at least from my perspective. I thought this would be a try my luck beer, but I'm sure I'll be buying more of this.

BrewMonkey, Feb 13, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a black body with caramel to ruby-tinged hues on the outsides of the glass. Head is khaki colored, full of pits, and about 1/2". Leaves some here and there lacing. Nose has some apple and berry fruitiness, toffee, caramel, molasses, mild chocolate, and a faint smoke background. Flavor is mostly chocolate, fruity esters, citrus hops (but not so much that it overpowers the truly porter characteristics), and caramel. Finish has a touch of smoke and mellow roasted malt astringency. Mouthfeel is moderate with a slightly biting carbonation. Has a nice mouth-coating quality to it. This is a great session porter, aside from the higher abv. This is hard to put down.

If this were available in Texas, I'd be all over it on a regular basis. Just as the bottle states, this goes great with some blackberry preserves.

goochpunch, Feb 11, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Smoked Porter pours a very dark brown with only the slightest hint of ruby around the edges, and a tan head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. I mostly smell chocolate malt and a hint of coffee. There is a thick mouthfeel that is appropriate for the style. Coffee and chocolate flavors are quite noticeable, the smoke only comes into play in the finish. I like this one quite a bit, I wish it were regularly available here. Highly recommended.

Drew966, Feb 10, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz bomber poured into my beer mug, paired with the left-over mashed garlic redskin potatoes I'm snacking on. I've been drinking mostly stouts lately, and this seems like a welcome change to something a little lighter (though not too light!).

This pours incredibly dark, even for a porter, with only a slight red/mahogany color shining through around the edges of the glass. Big head 5 fingers high (yes I had to use both hands) consisting of very small fine bubbles that give a smooth even surface, tan in color. Is now starting to condense in to larger bubbles

Aroma is of dark caramel and molasses sweetness, smoked malt, a hint of piney hops. Taste is pleasantly smoky without being overbearing. The same sweetness is present as is the hops, with but with dark chocolate overtones. At this point the pineyness of the hops appears to have really woken up and is now much more apparent in the smell.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and pleasantly slick, this goes down reeealy easily. Carbonation level is good and alcohol is not apparent. It is taking a bit of restraint on my part to savor this instead of chugging it.

In my opinion this is damn near the perfect porter. Will definately be getting more.

BeerNinja007, Jan 29, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks to expatsteve for bringing me some Stone back from out East.

Pour: smokey black with garnet highlights, not quite opaque to the light with a finger of creamy tan foam that fades to a ring.

Nose: metallic, appleskins, smoked jerky, charred malt, wisps of booze, caramel malts add body.

Taste: not as smoked as I would have guessed from an extreme brewer like Stone but still noticeable. Rich, charred malts with sweet caramel body dominate with notes of beef jerky, wood, appleskins and surprisingly noticeable but not distracting booze in the finish and a cocoa/coffee coating on the tongue.

Feel: creamy, rich, but far from chewy...smooth.

Drinkability/Overall: a tasty porter with a smokey richness adding depth and character. A little tame for Stone, but a solid representation of the style as is their IPA. Can't wait til they're distributed here this summer.

Golden2wenty1, Jan 25, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance - Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. A beautiful dark, deep brown with shimmers of red when the light hits it. A coffee colored, porous head.

Smell - A sweet chocolate and coffee flavor, a bit of alcohol.

Taste - Definitely lives up to the name with a smoky flavor that is clearly apparent. Almost to the point of being like the charred edges of ribs on the grill. A moderate hop bitterness at the end of the drink that lingers for a while. Some dark chocolate is in the mix as well.

Mouthfeel - Slightly syrupy, a thicker porter that really feels hearty.

Drinkability - A highly drinkable porter. Very classic flavors with a bit of a twist with the smoke and hops. Despite its richness, it could be possible to make a session of this on a cold winter day.

velo343, Jan 17, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

This porter pours a nice near black dark brown. A good tan head with some decent retention. The smell is bit smoky, with some nice hops and malt. The taste is coffee, chocolate and a bit earthy. Good carbonation and it goes does well. Quite drinkable and quite filling.

zuggy9, Jan 16, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a deep light black. Not transparent, but a dark light. I cant explain it, but its dark and light at the same time. Trust me! Finger of head, disapating into nice lacing. Mocha head color. Pretty.

Smells hoppy. Some malt, maybe coffee. Not as deep as I like a Porter.

Coffee, chocolate, and sweet. Little hoppy finish. No ABV to taste. Fairly sweet for style.

Sits well, smooth carbonation. No bite, prolly a factor of ABV. Smooth medium finish, some staying power.

Drinkability is good. I personally dont enjoy the level of sweetness, but it is respectable. I would prefer more ABV, and maybe something fuller with more personality. I would rather have a Smuttynose Robust Porter of this Smoked Porter.

JasonA, Jan 16, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

poured from a 22 oz. bottle leaving a two finger tan head which holds well and good lacing to the finish. smell is smokey or burnt caramel or coffee. taste is very sweet with same caramel, coffee, smokey burnt flaver. mouthfeel light, good carbonation. this is my first try with this style beer. i don't know if i like it or not but i will give it another try.

billybob, Jan 14, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Friday night at home, watching a movie. Had this beer, as well as porters from Sierra Nevada and Smuttynose. Liked this one a lot. It was a dark brown with a little red. A small tan head. Sweet chocolate aroma, maybe some smokiness. A chocolate, coffee taste, without the sweetness I had smelled. More of an espresso. Very smooth, and fun to drink.

lordofthewiens, Jan 13, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours quite dark with red and brown tones throughout. Very clingy lacing and a nice tan head.

The hops hit the nose first; notes of cocoa, roasted malts, caramel, and a touch of alcohol follow. This beer is divine in the mouth. So smooth and thick, with just enoug heft to hold it up. The smoke flavoring is surprisingly subtle...more so than I remember. Sever types of hops blend nicely, with none adding a great deal of bitterness. Much of the sweetness comes from the chocolate malts. Stickiness remains in the mouth long after the swallow, and the hop bite flares up as well.

There are certainly more drinkable porters out there. This is more of an occasion beer. Overall, this is a stellar effort from Stone. For a moderately aggressive smoked porter, the balance is remarkable. The smoke adds to the beer in a subtle but meaningful way. This could make a great pairing with meats and cheeses. Stone Smoked Porter is officially on my radar as one of the top American porters.

jhollick, Jan 13, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle. I bought this in Oregon and took it back with me to Florida because they don't distribute Stone brews in my area. I'm a huge fan of Arrogant Bastard, so I thought I'd pick this up to give it a try. It pours with a 2 finger head that quickly goes away and leaves some moderate lacing. Appearance is a dark dark amber, very close to being black, the way a Porter should look. Not too much on the nose, or maybe my sense of smell is just dead tonight, but I can't really smell anything notable. Taste: aww yes, this is a good porter. Lots of rich bitter chocolate and coffee flavors with a nice smokey after taste, a little bit of sweetness there too once it's left to linger on your tongue. I've had other beers with "Smoke" in the title and the smokieness often overwhelmed the rest of the tastes, not the case with this beer. This one feels a little acidic as far as mouthfeel, and it's not as smooth as I hoped, but certainly not anything that's going to keep me from enjoying it, but it doesn't go down as easily as I hoped, but that's probably good because it'll keep me from drinking the one bottle I have too quickly.

theWrkncacnter, Jan 13, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured out of a 22oz bomber into a St. Bernardus glass.

A - Very dark, almost black. I see no light coming through this one. Has a decent sized tan head on top.

S - I smell nothing. Maybe a hint of smokiness, but nothing really all that noticable.

T - Wow. This stuff is fantastic. Tastes basically like a "big" porter. I don't really detect huge amounts of "smokiness" (similar to the smell), but it's a big flavor with coffee and some bitter chocolate flavor. There seems to be some hops at the end of the sip to balance out all of the malts.

M - I'd say it's medium to full-bodied. It's very easy to drink, but at the same time it is a big beer. Fills the mouth, yet there seems to be very little carbonation.

I'd give this second place in the porter department only to Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. Though it may be different in style, it is still extremely well done and absolutely worth seeking out if you're into porters.

LvilleIPA, Jan 10, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

This is the first beer I have had from Stone and its pretty damn good! It has a reddish black hue with a nice big head that fades a bit. I thought the smell was a bit lacking though, I expected more smokiness to come through. This beer has wonderful flavors: dark chocolate, burnt coffee, plenty of roasted malts, and a slight smokiness...which once again I was preparing myself for more of a pronouced smoke flavor but still do enjoy it. This has a pretty good mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. This beer is very drinkable and would love to pair it with food. Wish Stone would start to distribute in Iowa and even Minnesota. Awesome beer, Stone Rocks!!!

RobertDwight, Jan 08, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured into an Affligem chalice. Midnight black pour with a good head. Smell is of chocolate and a wisp of smoke. Taste is bang on- roasty sweetness with just the right amount of smoke. The smoke is not overpowering at all. Appropriate carbonation for the style and very drinkable. Hop presence is quite muted, at least for by Stone standards. This must be their least hopped style. A great porter in my mind.

oakbluff, Jan 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy shit, What a beer. Great head with amazing retention. Great malty smell. Nice smoky flavor with nice chocolate malting with balancing bitterness. Clings fairly well to the mouth and is incredibly drinkable. Malts could feel thicker on the palate. Stone brews are awesome and big and flavorful, but the seem to not get it done in the mouthfeel as well to me. One of the best stone beers I've ever had. Quite a brew. I highly reccomend it.

jasonjlewis, Jan 07, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours out really dark black coffee with one finger of the off-white suds. Slight lacing around the pint glass.
Smell is coffee and chocolate with just a hint of smoke.
Taste is about the same. Starts out bitter like dark chocolate/coffee then finishes with a berry/caramel /sugary flavor.
The smoke is wonderful here. I could see drinking this with anything smoked like turkey or ham. Good stuff.

peabody, Jan 03, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Pored a dark brown/black that let just the slightest light through. Small cream colored head gave was quickly leaving just a bit around the edge till the bottom. Smell was total caramel chocolate malts. A hint of a spiceness as well. Taste was very nice, the nice malts come through beutifully and the mouthfell is almost perfect, goes down very smooth and has a very nice, long lingering almost hopped back. This is a very nice brew, I would love to try this on tap one day!

mikesgroove, Jan 02, 2007
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.