Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -2%

Definitely a step away from other porters, I might have even mistaken this for a stout, but taste is really what matters right? Not some silly style guideline. The beer was a bit heavy, but not syrupy like some big stouts, and tasted of dark cocoa, a bit of espresso, and smoke. The bitter bite was a perfect pair for my spicey turkey sandwich and the remaining beer after I finished my meal was a nice dessert. Give it a try on tap, the bottles are too expensive.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Dark brown color, topped with a tan head. Good roasted malt nose, though with only a faint smokiness. Nice flavor! Rich smoke dominates the taste, together with thick roasty malt and some hints of dark chocolate. Bitterness is on the low side of moderate, but the smokiness balances out any residual sweetness. Big, chewy mouthfeel.

Excellent smoked beer. Thanks to morris729 for supplying this.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a very deep brown, black in the middle, with an espresso foam head that sticks around quite nicely. The aroma is rich in a dark way, with notes of smoke mixing with chocolate and crystal malts. On the palate, smooth sweet malts first off, with restrained smokiness in the background. Well-rounded, earthy bitterness comes through at the mid-palate and mingles with bitter roasted malts and that smoky aspect; those elements compose the long, dry finish. Mouthfeel is a touch more thin than it could be, and quite rough moving over the mouth. Overall, this is a fine smoked porter, but it's missing that extra gear. Still very good.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

At first this beer seems a little light for a Smoked Porter or for being Stone, but it's more subtle than that. A thick brown-biege head floats for a while over top of a brown but not quite black body with ruby highlights. The nose has a sharp spicy hop, not fruit but lots of malt mingled. Definately lighter than a stout but still a almost chew, underattenuated mouthfeel--sweet and grainy. Chococlate and black licorice in the taste, sweet malt through, and then, hey, isn't this supposed to be a SMOKED porter, and there it is as the glass pulls away, the smoke wafts up through your mouth and nose. Light, clean, but assertive all at the same time and not overwhelming in any way. One of the best blended smoked tastes ever in a beer. Let it warm up a bit and then drink fast. Best part was in the middle between cold and a long sitting warm.

BA Reflection: Looking at other reviews, I seem to be on the high end compared to everyone else. I love Stone and that's part of it. I think they just fit who I am. But beyond that this is a beer to be appreciated for the subtle character of the smoke. It's not a rauchbier and it's not over the top, especially by Stone's standards, and I think some see that as a weakness. When I first had this beer five years ago, I rated it even higher--in part because I was younger in my tasting and it's a really nice, complex beer that's not overwhelming or an extreme beer. On draft at RFD, it was also open and accented it's strength. Love this beer and will drink more whenever I get a chance.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

My first Stone porter -- on tap at Flatbush Farm. Dark brown, creamy head, didn't stick around. I'm sure if it were from a bottle, it'd be more persistant. Smells like a rauschbier. Malty, smoky, even peaty like a scotch. Wow! Burnt toffee, coffee, and baker's chocolate for sure. Tastes smoother than I expected, and remarkably little hops for the Stoners. Goes down smooth, but I think it's a bit too smoky to be a real session beer. Something I'd get on its own, or to mix it up, but I can't see putting back three or four of these. That said, it is seriously delicious if you like smoke and roasted malt.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: A very dark Porter. Nice color interpretation of this mild style
Smell: A different approach. Smokey malts give this a burnt smell, not at all unpleasant.
Taste: I have given this a few tastes now, this being my third bottle. I always approach it with an open mind hoping for something different, but alas, I am again slightly dissapointed.
Mouthfeel: Watery, bland, dissapointing
Drinkability: I know a lot of people love this beer, and porter is a classic style that I usually enjoy, but this beer just doesn't do it for me. I respect Stone a lot, they are one of my all time favorite breweries, I guess I am just not a fan of this beer. Not a bad choice by any means, I just prefer Stone's other, hoppier offerings.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Small head with a dark red color and tiny flecks of lacing.

S - A light smoky character over a faint coffee and a mild hop (like kent goldings). Very mild overall.

T - A bit of smoky black patent, faint coffee and a mild woodsy hop. Aftertaste is faintly bitter with a bit of mild woodsy hops and coffee.

M - Medium to thin bodied, smooth and very refreshing.

D - Great! Refreshing and delicious. I will likely have this again sometime.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was looking forward to testing this one - the back of the bottle said it goes well with food.

Appearance - dark brown with a nice tan head. Head thins out evenly left some yummy lacing.

Smell - nice balance of several pleasant aromas, none overpowering the others. I appreciated the faint smokiness, it brought back some good memories.

Taste - Slight bitterness, smoky chocolate. Quality barley and hops in there.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, medium body.

Drinkability - Easy drinking, I can keep this one going all day long.

It's claim was correct. Chocolates brought out the sweetness of the beer and subdued the slight bitterness. The smokiness made my mouth water even more with some barbecued country ribs. I tried it with some sweet Hawaiian bread and it seemed to be made specifically for that pairing.

I definitely recommend this one.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Deep mahogany pour, thin quickly dissipating head. A nice inhale on lift as if slightly upwind of a campfire. Some caramel in the moment. Afterwards, retention of the original scent on the back of the throat, a kind of essence found dissipating in the embers of the morning, the fire remembered. Light on the hops throughout the experience, bringing smoke to the forefront in aroma and aftertaste. Well brewed.

- Bomber pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass -

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

My first porter. Dunno why I had never got around to one of these...especially from my favorite brewers of mass taste bud wreckage! The appearance is strait black with some ruby edging, with a robust tan head. The smell is fairly mellow suprisingly. The taste was also mellow, but a good mellow, not like a ridiculously overkill stout. I was lovin' it already as a re-introduction to the dark side hehe. I remembered it was smoked all the sudden and there it was in my mouth, a perfect level of being smoked. Good job to Stone on that (when do they do a bad job?) The head stuck around the whole bomber-full and the mouthfeel was damn heavy. I could feasibily drink two of these as bombers, but I think I'd be over the roasty-ness by then...very nice though, I'm liking the porter better than the stout!

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Black body with a small one finger brown head that didnt last to long.Nice lacing and some bubbles coming up to the top of the beer.Some darkfruit and roasted smells and chocolate bitterness towards the end of the taste.I taste some bite from the smoke and maybe some vanilla in there as well.Mouthful is just right,with the right amount of carbonation and very coating.Mouthful is a bit heavy But its nothing I wouldnt like to have more of in this type of beer.Great beer and well worth the wait and hype,I would recommend people to check this out when they see it.It cost me $7.00 for a bottle,the first few times I saw it for that price I thought it was a bit steep but I caved in and had a great time with the beer.Great Job STONE!

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a very dark brown, but little head as it was overpoured. Luckily, the head is somewhat regeneratable and leaves good lacing.
Smell is roasty with peat/smoke.
The taste is also traditionally roasty for a porter, but also has a bit of peat flavor to it as well, although not as much as I expected.
Mouthfeel is great, a nice light, and very smooth porter.

Poured from a 650ml bottle that I shipped back from Denver. It was nearly pitch black with dark mahogany highlights when held against a light. It barely had a head and it quickly went away. After reading other reviews that describe a large, sustaining head I have to wonder about the freshness of my bottle. But since it has no date on it I can't tell. The aroma is very subtle. It was sweet malty with just hints of smoke and the darker malts. Again may have been freshness issue. The taste was nice and solid but not as great as I'd expected. Overall a good tasty beer but I will definitely need to try again to see if better with a fresher one. (4, RR, T, Y)

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear, very deep dark burgundy brown color with a tan head that leaves light lacing.
The smell is of strong coffee and smoky dark chocolate.
The taste is smoky coffee and deep roasted malts. It's a very smooth taste with very little bitterness at the end. The smoky taste hangs around and is quite pleasant.
Mouthfeel is medium tending towards thick and, as I said, very smooth.
Drinkability is good, not a high alcohol beer and hides what there is.
It may not be a beer I'd drink often but would be glad to when offered. It's another one of those beers that I prefer at warmer than recommended drinking temperatures.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - Charcoal gray/black. Medium tan head.

Smell - Major notes of cocoa and coffee. Burnt grains with just a hint of smoke linger in the background.

Taste - Mild smokiness initially with some chocolate and roasted coffee. There seems to be some vanilla and butterscotch to sweeten it a bit. Roasted bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - I'd say it's medium to full-bodied. It's very easy to drink, but at the same time it is a big beer. Fills the mouth, yet there seems to be very little carbonation.

Drinkability - Medium bodied. Mild carbonation.

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep, dark coffee brown color with a nice 1 finger head that slowly fades into some nice lace. Smell is very smoky (which should be expected). There is also some noticeable amount of chocolate and coffee as well. The taste is awesome - smoke, dark chocolate, and a nice dry black licorice-y finish. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a nice carbonated bite. Wow, this is easy to drink. The flavors are strong, but they meld together so well. This is an excellent porter. Highest recommendation.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Pours a dark, dark brown (nearly black) color. On top is a one and half finger head, which dissipated rather quickly and left a good bit of lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate and coffee are the main features. But, it definitely has a toasted nut and smoky smell. It's not quite as smoky as I was expecting from the name. Finally, it has a nice malty smell at the tail end.

Taste: It does have a nice smoky taste. Much more apparent here than when smelling it. Chocolate and coffee flavors are strong and blended very nicely. It also has a good malty taste to it.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and extremely smooth. Its relatively low ABV lends well to its drinkability. Overall, this is a very good and underappreciated porter in my opinion. By far Stone's most underappreciated brew. Definitely recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber pours a deep, dark brown, almost black, but with some dark red ruby notes around the edges. Coffee colored head leaves a bit of lacing. Very nice. Smell is dark chocolate, a hint of coffee and just a touch of smoke. Taste is bittersweet, dark chocolate, some earthy flavor and finishing with more dark chocolate and then the smoky flavor. Smoky flavor is present but not overpowering, really adds a nice touch to a great porter. Oh so smooth, beautifully balanced. This is really a great porter.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

I thought I'd enjoy a bomber of this by the fireplace for the last evening of what has been a cold, and needlessly long winter...
Pours with a thin but consistent level of greyish head. Good lacing. Dark body with flashes of ruby brown found throughout. With the beer served cold I couldn't seem to find much in the aroma initially. I was happy to find that once it started to warm luscious notes of really bittersweet chocolate would arise. A faint dose of hops that are become slightly dulled behind hints of smoke. It's important to distinct it as 'smoke' - because it isn't really 'roast'. We're not talking rauchbier, but there is a distinct absence of roast and that quality has been replaced by the character of smoke - like that off a barbecue. Subtle enough though. Fairly luscious bitter sweet flavours in the taste department as well. Notes of toffee, chocolate, English pudding, trace bits of (now,) roast malt. A little less texture than I'm use to with Stone beers, but certainly the right degree of carbonation. The mouthfeel is a little underwhelming to be honest. That character of smoke (like that found in a smoked meat) is present but very unassuming on the palatte. A nice porter.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Black with a deep red edge. Head is tawny brown thick and leaves big lace.

Aroma is rich with malt and hops woody and fruity notes are just below the surface. This is very complex.

Very balanced taste with just enough of the smoke note staying a long time after each sip. Notes of cherries, chocolate, sunflower seeds, molasses, nice dark malts, ash and smoke. There is a lot going on here, more than you are likely to find in most stouts, and yet stone calls it a porter, exactly as it should be.

Medium full in body, another perfect beer that forget about for a while and always come back to.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours out a dark brown color with a light tan head, leaving pretty good retention and some lacing. Aroma is roasted with a little bit of chocolate, some caramel too. Some caramel in the taste, I definately get roastiness but the smokiness is very subdued. Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation. Pretty easy to drink beer, I'd probably have it again, but wouldn't seek it out.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Pours very still with only a small layer of bubbles across the top of the beer. The bubbles were tan and large while they lasted and fell within 30 seconds back into the beer. The beer is too dark to see through at all, and even the corner of the glass only shows a slight garnet when held directly to the light.

Aroma: I get mostly toasty notes and a faint roast. I don't get any smoke in the aroma. As the beer warms up, the smoke aromatics start their ascent and make it more complex.

Taste: There is a little more smoke in the flavor than I got in the aroma. If this beer didn't have the "smoke" label on it, I would almost think that this was a phenolic contamination in the early stages. There is a bit of roast here, but the toasty notes are the main component. This is a pretty mild Porter, and especially for Stone. There is no alcohol noticeable and only a little bit of hops. The beer comes across as being pretty refreshing and the finish is balanced. I don't get any alcohol in this beer at all, so it hides the 5.9% well.

Opinion: Well, this is really a pretty good beer. It is pretty amazing to me how drinkable it is because I normally have a bit of a hard time drinking Stone's beers because they are so brutally bittered with high Alpha hops. This one is reserved, and lets the malt run the show...pretty much. All in all, I was a bit surprised at how mild it is, but it remains really drinkable. The smoke is an enhancement and not a showcase so that makes it all the better in my opinion. I would drink this beer again.

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a nice big head that falls fast leaves a thin layer of head with a pretty strong lacing. The color is black with dark brown color and an almost red color when the light shows through. The smell is smokey with a slight roasty character. This taste is very smokey, with very little roastiness, I sense very little characteristics of porter besides them, not that's there's many more. The mouthfeel was smooth and nice. Overall I don't see myself drinking much more of this. I may try again later.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark mahogany in color. Soft tan head pours two fingers thick and dissipates into a micro bubble ring that clings to the edges of the glass. Thin lacing.

S: Roasted coffee. Chocolate. Caramel. Bread. Soft smoke.

T: Roasted coffe and dark chocolate start hings off in the right diection. Thin clean hop presence. Roasted caramel malts are folloewd by the taste of wet earth. This brew finishes with a robust bitterness and a soft smoked peat moss flavor.

M: Rich and creamy. Full body. Minimal carbonation. Robust and dry.

D: I have been attracted to the smoke element in beer as of late and especially in the porters. An incredibly balanced porter that has a soft smoke finish that leaves you wanting more with each taste. Recommend.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured black with a creamy kaki head. Smelled of smoke, some peat, cocoa, hints of burnt caramel. Not a strong nose, but a nice mix of aromas. Tasted very smokey up front with notes of wood, peat, and raisin. Very smooth and smokey on the palate and easy to drink more than one. This was a smooth porter that would probably go well with smoked meats and creamy cheeses. Campfire-smoked sausage and gouda may be a good pairing.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.