Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

22oz. bomber ($3.99 @ Bottle King in Hillsdale!) poured into a pint glass.

Pours black with ruby highlights and about two fingers worth of tan head that leaves behind gobs of lacing. Smells pleasantly roasty and lightly smoky with some chocolate. Tastes much like the smell; smokiness dominates while roasted malts and chocolate provide a solid backbone. The smokiness dominates initially but slowly yields to a roasty flavor that itself dominates by the finish. Good mouthfeel, medium body, moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, I feel the smokiness builds and may be a bit overpowering after a few. This beer is a good, solid beer that I'd certainly recommend.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Pint from Naja's Place

Very dark with a small head for a porter, tastes better when it is not so cold

Nice bite to it after the swallow

Goes very good with desseet, similar to a stout, which surprised me, this is not case for most porters

Really want to try the brandy barrel aged if they ever have it at Stone again

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 22 oz. bottle of this with my dad-we both liked it.

A- Deep brown body with thick, smooth and creamy dark tan head. Head has good retention and leaves behind plenty of lacing in the glass. Vibrant-bright red tone can be seen throughout the body when held up to the light.

S- Lots of chocolate malt, toffee, and some vanilla. Nothing overpowering and a nice balance between them.

T- Robust chocolate malt upfront with lots of toffee and hop flavor in the background. Lots of vanilla comes out for the finish along with plenty of chocolate malt and some bitter coffee taste. Both chocolate malt and a subtle vanilla sweetness linger.

D- Medium to low carbonation and medium weight body. Smooth and creamy. Near perfect for a porter.

D- This stuff is good. Probably my favorite porter. Has the big robust taste of a stout but the smooth drinkability of a porter. One I will definitely have again. Nice job by Stone.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Time to check another one of the Stone creations off my list.

Poured from the bottle into a belgian snifter, the Smoked Porter is a dark brown color, with nice tan head that leaves minimal lace. It's deep brown in color, but does exhibit some shades of red and dark orange at the edges when held up to the light. Nice looking, but nothing exceptional. The aroma is rich and malty, but less smoky than I would have imagined given the beer's name. It's a nutty aroma with some smoke present, but not as pronounced as I thought it might be. Still, it's a nice porter nose. The taste is rich and nutty as well, with a bitter chocolate/coffee finish. The smoke really emerges in the aftertaste; even more so as the beer warms up to room temperature. It's a mild smokiness, but very evident, and very tasty. Smooth, silky mouthfeel keeps things moving along nicely.

This is an entirely drinkable porter. If the title of the beer scares you off, or if you're not a fan of smoked beers, don't worry - this is not as smoky as you might think. It's a mild smokiness, evened out by a firm malt presence and nutty/coffee/chocolate flavors. It's a good beer, all around.

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%

another good brew from Stone. i have not had one yet that was not very good from them. this is not my favorite style of beer but here goes. poured smooth into my glass. small 1/8" head that remained. nice light lace as i drank it. good even carbonation too. rich smoked smell and taste. a bit rich for me but very good. the only reason for not a 4 on appearance is i would like a lil more head. and drinkability is tough for me to give a 4 when it is sooo rich.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours out an almost opaque dark brown, close to black color. Creates a thick, dense and creamy tan head with excellent retention and a bit of lacing.

Smokey aromas were somewhat muted and tame. Notes of charred oak, chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts and vanilla come through.

Mouthfeel was moderately light and fluffy with a mild carbonation.

Taste profile was a bit more assertive than the aromas revealing more of the charred wood and smoke characteristics expected. A nice balance noted between the smokey tones and the chocolate/coffee flavors from the dark roasted malts along with just a touch of hops.

Finish seemed a touch astringent for a brief second or two, but if you’re in the mood for a smoked dark ale this is a solid choice.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Popped a bomber of this after having some carne asada. On to the beer:

I poured this into a hefeweizen glass and got a black figure inside the glass, with the color fading on the edges of the glass. My mom actually asked me if I needed a fork to consume this beer! Yes, it's a rich porter with esters, a touch of chocolate, roasted flavors, and charcoal smoke. It was lighter than I was expecting in the mouth, and firm. The smoke can sometimes become too monotone, driving down the drinkability a bit. Delicious stuff.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

It poured into the glass the color of of coffee with a thick light tan head. I was expecting a bit more of a smell. I guess seeing that it's a smoked porter I was expecting a campfire or jerky aroma. I didn't really pick up any of that at all. The taste didn't hit me as smokey either. Just kind of an average to decent porter. I couldn't really detect chocolate, licorice, coffee, smoke, or any of that other crap the bottle had promised. Just a decent dark beer with a minute bitter aftertaste and low carbonation. Maybe it was sitting on the store shelf for a while or something. I've had a smoked bock before that reeked of smoke flavor in the past. I figured this beer would be similar. It wasn't even close.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Mahogany brown- black hue. Tan colored head. One finger thick head dissipates to a thin topping. Sticky lacing develops as beer is quaffed.

S: Not the type of nose I have come to expect from Stone offerings. Roasty aroma is surprisingly weak. Weak smoke aroma as well. Malt character is quite grainy. Some muted hop aroma.

T: Well balanced between lightly burnt/roasty and smokey sweet malt and good bittering hop flavor. It's a pretty strong flavor profile.

MF: Medium-light body - pretty light for a porter. Moderate carbonation. Slight warming and slightly astringent.

D/Overall Impression: Definitely an easy drinking sessionable porter. A dark and flavorful roasty porter. I was expecting a more smokey character.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

My favorite from Stone! Good look, very smooth, and easy to drink Porter. I always have this in my fridge! It appears very dark, almost black, with a nice kaki colored head. Auroma is plesant. The taste is hinted of chocolate, slight smokey flavor. This is a great after dinner beer!

4.05/5  rDev +1%

From the bottle, this is still a great beer. Good taste of malts, but not tremendously overwhelming. slight chocolate taste, as advertised, but you have to search for it a little bit. good smoky aftertaste. Great mouthfeel, nice and crispy, but not before you get to taste the beer. I recommend it, but not quite as full as I thought.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours very dark with some beautiful ruby highlights when held up against the light. Big, fluggy brown creamy head. Very nice lacing. Exceptional to look at.

Aroma of coffee, malts, sweet dark chocolate.

Taste is smokey [not overpowering], light bitterness at the end. Has a wood burning taste.

Medium body, decently cleansing, very dry [somewhat surprising].

Overall, a very nice beer. Good to sip. Nicely complex. Good session brew. I appreciate that the smoke flavor is not overwhelming...just right.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

22 Ounce poured twice into a pint glass.

A: Very dark, when held up to light it had maybe a slight dark amber color. The head disappeared quickly and there was no head to speak of. Did I mention stout-like darkness?

S: Smelled great, chocolate and coffee, just like I love.

T: I liked it, but not as strong as I thought. I loved the smoked taste. There was the heavy presence of chocolate and mild coffee, but I was surprised that it didn't have the alcohol that I expected from Stone. I loved the smokey aftertaste which made up for the lack of bite that I thought was going to be there.

M: I love the Stone beers and I usually associate them with "strong" beers, but this wasn't as heavy as their other beers. Not acidic, which I like, not to many alcohol tones.

D: I actually believe this could be a beer that I would have a few of at say,,,, a cookout, but the price tag is steep to be a session beer. I payed $4.99 for the 22 OZ, so at most I would have two in one sitting.

bottom line: Its better than average, great aftertaste, needs more alcohol/hop presence, but overall I enjoyed it despite the price.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Mountain States Cup/Breckenridge Brewery pint glass. The beer is a deep brown almost black, but does let some light through to produce a nice ruby hue. I poured this one fairly aggressively and it produce a large tan, bubbly and foamy head that eventually diminished to a nice 1 finger head.

Aromas are pretty subdued. Roasted malts. Some chocolate and a slight smoky smell. I was also picking up a slight metallic smell that wasn't too pleasant.

First thing I notice with the taste is of an American drip style coffee. Some peatyness. Bitter chocolate, almost baker's, and a smoky finish.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice creaminess and a good moderate level of carbonation. A bomber was definitely easy to get down. Porters can be hit or miss with me, but this one is very good. Recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bottle

A - Pours black with mahogany highlights and a 2 finger tan head the leaves sticky lacing everywhere.

S - The aroma is very faint but is chocolate and roasted malt with just a touch of smokiness.

T - Medium level of smoke up front followed by roasted malt and chocolate. I enjoy the more subdued level of smokiness.

M - Medium bodied but not as creamy as I was expecting.

D - A very good smoked porter with just the right level of smoke in my opinion. Not as smoky as Alaskan.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz. bomber poured into a shaker pint glass, bought at Mike's Liquor on Warner and Bolsa Chica in Huntington.

A: Very dark ruby-brown color with an off-tan, 2-finger head, creates a look of foreboding in my glass.

S: Delicious biscuity, bread malt, with a hint of chocolate and coffee.

T: Dark roasted malts with delectable barbeque notes. Hops in the aftertaste provide a good backbone balanced by sweet malts in the end.

M: Full-bodied, robust, very nice.

D: A liitle heavy on this Southern California June night, but easily a session beer at 5.9%.

3.69/5  rDev -8%

Pours a dark black letting almost no light escape through the glass. Nice looking cream colored head which does not dissipate quickly. Smells hopped up and inviting however it doesnt nearly smell like i would expect for how dark it looks. Although the smell was mild, the taste is smoky and reminescant of burnt hops. Very tasty. It has a fairly thick mouthfeel and seems to be carbonated just the right amount, enough to give it a good consictency but not be distracting. It is a pleasure to drink but since it is dark the drinkability suffers a bit, easy to drink one glass but after that it gets harder.

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

22 oz. bomber, served in a pint glass.

A - deep, dark brown in color with a big fluffy tan head that leaves a bunch of sticky lace.

S - roasted malt, coffee aroma.

T - sweet malty flavors and a gentle touch of hops, very good tasting brew.

M - medium/full bodied, smooth yet somewhat rich.

D - excellent drinkability because of lower abv and terrific taste.

Final Note: I enjoyed this brew with a medium/well bbq'd porter house steak and a baked potato. Highly Recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

I apparently bought this without reading the label, thinking it was an RIS.

A: Pours an opaque black, with a fine tan head. Lots of carbonation rising to the top to feed the foam.

S: Very strong chocolate malty aroma. The smokiness is not quite as strong as expected, but it is there.

T: Up front smokiness is lovely, followed quickly by a dark chocolate flavor. The two really play off each other, never letting one dominate the other.

M: Very creamy and smooth, leaves a nice sharp malt flavor on the tongue after. Chocolate hangs around the mouth afterwards.

D: For a porter, its not too heavy, and the alcohol is low enough to enjoy a few without getting too full. Quality beer indeed.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: Deep, slightly reddish dark brown. Tan head with slight retention.

Smell: Estery malt nose with a hint of hops.

Taste: Roasted malt with chocolate notes, a wonderful smoky background, and medium-light hops.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and rich with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Very nice. The smoke is well integrated with the base style, and the base is no slouch either. My only issue is that the smoke is a bit too light; I would have liked to see a bit more of it in the nose.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

I guess I associate stone with over-the-top hopped beers. And I like them. I also always look forward to their RIS release in spring. For some reason, I've never had their smoked porter, so I was eager to check it out. Over all, it's a good brew, a little lighter than I thought it would be, but a good brew. The smoke flavor is very light, I think the first thing I noticed about it was the strong hop flavor for a porter. I guess Stone just can't resist hops. I would have liked this one more if it was more roasty and less hoppy, but it does go down easy.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%

Paired this with some home cooked bbq pork loin, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob. Poured from a 22oz bottle into pint glasses. Looks like a usual porter at first glance, dark brown with a nice fluffy white head. Smell was very nice, had a roasted and smoky aroma. The taste was the best part, because the smokiness wasn't overpowering. It was very subtle, which made this beer a nice addition to a meal. It didn't overwhelm the food, just complimented everything nicely. This could be a stand alone beer, but I prefer to drink it with some nice bbq food. A perfect combo.

A great dark pour, very nice muddy-tan head, and an awful lot of carbonation & lacing...the nose was subtle on smoliness i found, more present were some roasted malts & cocoa notes...the taste seemed more stout-like to me, some dark chocolates, roasted malts and rich creaminess...the smokiness creeped in subtley mid-sip and didn't overpower the other nice qualities of this beer....a nice coffee-bean bitterness lingered...mouthfeel was both lively and rich and offered up some creamy texture...great drinkability, complex enough to sit and sip but fresh & lively enough to consume at will...i thought it was well balanced and the subtle smokiness was plenty for this beer

4.09/5  rDev +2%

Pours a deep black with only glints of ruby reflection around the edges. Head is outstanding and lacing is past-like in its ability to hug the sides of the glass.

Scent is vaguely smoky with a little malt sweetness. Not a ton going on but not bad.

Rich, malty porter with a wonderfully smoky/chocolaty interplay. Smoke flavor is controlled and not huge unlike the ridiculous (but amazing) Alaskan Smoked Porter.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy but the finish has a degree of oiliness/slickness that I don't associate with a porter.

This is a super beer despite some of the elements being out of whack. In the end, taste is taste and that's where the beer really delivers.

Thanks to HoppyBen for the taste and welcome to BA!

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Rib night... mmm mmm. :)

Pours black with just a tint. Obsidian in color really. A light Ovaltine colored head with not much to it.

Rich raisiny scent, cheap milk chocolate. Wait a sec, let me break out the Raisinets. Chomp chomp chomp. :D

Hmmm, strange combination of dusty coffee grinds pureed & mixed into a batch of sugar-free hot chocolate. Maybe a little vanilla hiding in the background, but mostly just the first two offerings with a pinch of salt. Reminds me of weekends at Grandma's house. Grandma is getting senile, so whenever she decided to make hot chocolate, she blanks out half way, & forgets to add any sugar. She doesn't even measure, she just drops the entire 3lb block into the kettle & starts watching novellas in the other room. :)

Back on topic, the porter has a cream soda mouthfeel, slightly drying. There's almost the illusion of it being uneven. You can't feel it, but it reminds me of mixing up Country Time lemonade & having little bits of powder float through your teeth. They melt on contact, but you swore they were there. Gives it a stronger body then I would have otherwise rated it.

Drinking a bomber is pretty easy whether you have food or not. The scent initially warns of a strong, heavy beer, but that is so not the case.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.