Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours rich dark brown to black with thin tan head that leaves a light lace. The head eventually dissipates almost entirely. Smells of roasted/smoked malts with a hint of coffee. Initially smokey malt flavor is nicely balanced with hop bitterness and a medium-lived slightly bitter aftertaste. Full-bodied, smooth, and slightly creamy with slightly alcoholic finish and good carbonation. This is a very tasty beer, and I will definitely buy it again.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is dark brown, real close to black, with a 1/2 inch chocolate milk-colored head that settled pretty quickly, leaving occasional lacing on the way down.

S: Roasted malt, some faint smells of chocolate and just a hint of charcoal or maybe burnt coffee.

T: All malt-type flavors up front: roasted malt, chocolate, charcoal and some coffee. It finishes with a fairly dry, coffee-like bitterness. It becomes even more chocolatey and sweet as it warms.

M: Appropriately carbonated for the style (i.e., a little bit less carbonated than your average beer), with a slightly heavier than medium body. Pretty creamy and smooth.

D: Good. Went down pretty easily as I was grilling sausage and peppers and onions. As a result, I only had about 10 oz left to pair with dinner.

Notes: This one sat in my cellar for awhile. Can't say just how long exactly (I need to do a better job with my inventory control system), but I'm guessing it may have been a year or even longer. I may get a fresher one soon just for comparison's sake, but this seems to have held up pretty well.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Very dark brown with a nice frothy off-white color head.

Smells of sweet dark malt with a touch of roastiness and plenty of pleasant smoke.

Mid-bodied, with a creamy and elegant mouthfeel. Almost light for a Porter.
Very neutral beer in terms of sweet and bitter. A very mild roasty sweetness provides the upfront layering of the beer. Soon the mild sweetness fades, and provides a much stronger smoke flavor. Distinct and covers the whole palate in a drench of rich smokiness. Finishes with a mouth coating sticky disintegrating smoke note.

Lick your chops good. Another solid offering from Stone. I think this would pair excellently with many types of food, especially barbecue.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Dark brown body with a light tan-colored, creamy head.

Smell: What's in that aroma... let's call it "excitement"! Lightly sweetened cocoa and coffee amidst the rich, smokey overtones.

Taste: More of that semi-sweet chocolate and coffee from the nose, and, of course, the smoke, but also just a hint of citrus on the finish. Though the flavors run a bit thin at times, its still pretty pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation. Slighty creamy.

Drinkability: Reasonably smoked, it gives you just enough of that smoke you want without ever becoming overpowering or life-threatening.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

poured into pint glass from bomber.

A- Dark as night. Nice foamy head; oatmeal in color.

S- Slight hop, but more to the smoke side.

T- Good balance. The smoke malt taste is to the front with aslight hop underpinning.

M- More to the heavy side. Smoke taste remains in the aftertaste. Not alot of bitter burn feel that most smoked porter have.

D- This beer was good to try, but I will not go crazy seeking it out. Like all Stone beers, it is alittle different than the style that you are trying. I would like to try this beer ontap to give it another shot.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to Enola for sharing.
Pours an ebony color and shows dark brown around the edges. 1/2" mocha colored head recedes to a lace that wraps around the glass.
Aroma is of smoke, charcoal and pipe tobacco.
This beer has a heavier dark chocolate and roasted coffee flavor. The smoke kind of lingers in the background but plays it's role well.
Full bodied, slick and smooth as silk mouthfeel.
I normally can't drink a bomber by myself in one sitting. I could easily finish a bomber of this.
Another awsome beer from Stone.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Received this via trade, not sure whom now. Possibly Solomon420.

The beer is a nice deep ruby color with a good sized head. The smell is smoke and there is a slight bit more hoppiness that typical of the style. The smokiness is not as evident as others of the style I have. There is also a hint of chocolate malt. The mouthfeel is good but there is just a slight chemical like aftertaste. Overall, a rich beer that is a nice treat.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Purchased from Wilbur's Liquors in Ft Collins

This pours from 22oz bottle(room temp) a very dark brown with reddish hues. There's a huge billowy offwhite head of foam that shrinks down to a solid layer and stays for the entire session.

The smell I'm getting is chocolate and roasted malt .

The taste on first sip is very chocolaty with good roasted malt flavour and a touch of coffee. Initially, I thought it was going to lean towards the sweet side but the roasted malt bitterness gives it a good dry taste.

Further sips in and I can taste *some* smoke but it's lightly done and it really meshes well with the other flavours and makes it quite smooth and quite drinkable.

The body is medium, the carbonation is on the light side and the finish, for me, ends on a somewhat semi sweet note. Very nice.

Bottom line: This is quite different from Alaskan Brewery's interpretation of a Smoked Porter, which is much more vigorously smokeie, but it's also quite good. I recommend it!

3.73/5  rDev -7%

A- Pours a very dark black/ deep red. A foamy off white head forms and takes a while to settle. Kind of reminds me of a thick soda head.

S- Cinnamon, some sweet malt, a little smokiness. Slightly meaty.

T- Smokey, meaty, molasses. Sweet. A little different for a porter.

M- The carbonation level is perfect in this. Not too cloying but a little too sweet for my tastes.

D- A worthwhile beer from Stone. Interesting. It must be the smoky character, but I kept imagining myself using this as a marinade for some steaks.

A- dark brown with a float like two finger tan head, great retent, tan foam lacing rings

S- smoky, chocolate, burnt malts

T- smoked malts, chocolate, coffee at finish, dark chocolate/coffee after, fruity characters, some caramel, more so in aftertaste

M- medium body, smooth, dry finish and after

D- wonderful aftertaste and very complex, this beer is meant for pairing with food.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber to a medium snifter. The liquid is an opaque chocolate brown with nice carbonation. The head is a full two finger, tan and leaves some lace.

The smell is of sweet dark bread and mild smoky grains.

The taste is mildly smoky, quite pleasant, rich and sweet. Nice notes of chocolate dark bread and some plum.

The mouthfeel is nice smooth with a mild carbonation, very nice for the style. The body is fuller then most porters.

The drinkability is good,the whole package works real well, sit back, relax and enjoy this brew on a cool evening. Very nice. Prosit MK

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

I had this on tap two weeks ago and loved it. When I saw a bottle of Stone Smoked Porter the other day I of course had to bring it home.

The familiar Stone bomber, to be enjoyed by 02/27/07. It is now 05/04/07. I'm sure it's still good...

I'm decanting into a faceted mug. It pours a little like syrup and is just this side of opaque. There's a few ruby highlights in there. Delicious-looking beige head. Nice and creamy. Has a little staying power. Aroma of coffee and cocoa powder. Let the imbibing begin...

Comes off a tad bitter, actually. As in coffee bitterness. Maybe I should pay attention to those freshness dates. It's not undrinkable, just... disappointing.

The coffee bitterness comes in right at tongue contact and lingers for a good while. I'm not picking up any smokiness. The roasted malts have become borderline astringent at this point. The mouthfeel, however, is still holding up. Full, creamy, sticky. Nourishing, in the same way as a Snickers bar. The back of the bottle suggests pairing with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I would totally do that if I had some peanut butter on hand, even with this less-than-fresh bottle.

I've come to have high expectations for Stone, and even if this one is post-dated, it's still good.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

22 oz. bottle with "Enjoy by 3/8/07". Pitch black with big light brown head.

Big ass chocolate, esspresso, toffee, and woody aromas. Very macho.

Starts chocolately, with lots of roasty coffee like flavors and finishes smokey. Mild spicy hop flavors are apparent on the sides of the tongue but are well hidden by the bolder flavors mentioned above. There is some mild tartness that lingers on the tongue for a while.

Medium bodied with a silky smooth mouthfeel. Light-medium carbonation tickles the tongue.

Overall a very tasty and drinkable porter. Could spend a Fall evening with a couple bottles of this.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Definitely a step away from other porters, I might have even mistaken this for a stout, but taste is really what matters right? Not some silly style guideline. The beer was a bit heavy, but not syrupy like some big stouts, and tasted of dark cocoa, a bit of espresso, and smoke. The bitter bite was a perfect pair for my spicey turkey sandwich and the remaining beer after I finished my meal was a nice dessert. Give it a try on tap, the bottles are too expensive.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Dark brown color, topped with a tan head. Good roasted malt nose, though with only a faint smokiness. Nice flavor! Rich smoke dominates the taste, together with thick roasty malt and some hints of dark chocolate. Bitterness is on the low side of moderate, but the smokiness balances out any residual sweetness. Big, chewy mouthfeel.

Excellent smoked beer. Thanks to morris729 for supplying this.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a very deep brown, black in the middle, with an espresso foam head that sticks around quite nicely. The aroma is rich in a dark way, with notes of smoke mixing with chocolate and crystal malts. On the palate, smooth sweet malts first off, with restrained smokiness in the background. Well-rounded, earthy bitterness comes through at the mid-palate and mingles with bitter roasted malts and that smoky aspect; those elements compose the long, dry finish. Mouthfeel is a touch more thin than it could be, and quite rough moving over the mouth. Overall, this is a fine smoked porter, but it's missing that extra gear. Still very good.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

At first this beer seems a little light for a Smoked Porter or for being Stone, but it's more subtle than that. A thick brown-biege head floats for a while over top of a brown but not quite black body with ruby highlights. The nose has a sharp spicy hop, not fruit but lots of malt mingled. Definately lighter than a stout but still a almost chew, underattenuated mouthfeel--sweet and grainy. Chococlate and black licorice in the taste, sweet malt through, and then, hey, isn't this supposed to be a SMOKED porter, and there it is as the glass pulls away, the smoke wafts up through your mouth and nose. Light, clean, but assertive all at the same time and not overwhelming in any way. One of the best blended smoked tastes ever in a beer. Let it warm up a bit and then drink fast. Best part was in the middle between cold and a long sitting warm.

BA Reflection: Looking at other reviews, I seem to be on the high end compared to everyone else. I love Stone and that's part of it. I think they just fit who I am. But beyond that this is a beer to be appreciated for the subtle character of the smoke. It's not a rauchbier and it's not over the top, especially by Stone's standards, and I think some see that as a weakness. When I first had this beer five years ago, I rated it even higher--in part because I was younger in my tasting and it's a really nice, complex beer that's not overwhelming or an extreme beer. On draft at RFD, it was also open and accented it's strength. Love this beer and will drink more whenever I get a chance.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

My first Stone porter -- on tap at Flatbush Farm. Dark brown, creamy head, didn't stick around. I'm sure if it were from a bottle, it'd be more persistant. Smells like a rauschbier. Malty, smoky, even peaty like a scotch. Wow! Burnt toffee, coffee, and baker's chocolate for sure. Tastes smoother than I expected, and remarkably little hops for the Stoners. Goes down smooth, but I think it's a bit too smoky to be a real session beer. Something I'd get on its own, or to mix it up, but I can't see putting back three or four of these. That said, it is seriously delicious if you like smoke and roasted malt.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: A very dark Porter. Nice color interpretation of this mild style
Smell: A different approach. Smokey malts give this a burnt smell, not at all unpleasant.
Taste: I have given this a few tastes now, this being my third bottle. I always approach it with an open mind hoping for something different, but alas, I am again slightly dissapointed.
Mouthfeel: Watery, bland, dissapointing
Drinkability: I know a lot of people love this beer, and porter is a classic style that I usually enjoy, but this beer just doesn't do it for me. I respect Stone a lot, they are one of my all time favorite breweries, I guess I am just not a fan of this beer. Not a bad choice by any means, I just prefer Stone's other, hoppier offerings.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Small head with a dark red color and tiny flecks of lacing.

S - A light smoky character over a faint coffee and a mild hop (like kent goldings). Very mild overall.

T - A bit of smoky black patent, faint coffee and a mild woodsy hop. Aftertaste is faintly bitter with a bit of mild woodsy hops and coffee.

M - Medium to thin bodied, smooth and very refreshing.

D - Great! Refreshing and delicious. I will likely have this again sometime.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was looking forward to testing this one - the back of the bottle said it goes well with food.

Appearance - dark brown with a nice tan head. Head thins out evenly left some yummy lacing.

Smell - nice balance of several pleasant aromas, none overpowering the others. I appreciated the faint smokiness, it brought back some good memories.

Taste - Slight bitterness, smoky chocolate. Quality barley and hops in there.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, medium body.

Drinkability - Easy drinking, I can keep this one going all day long.

It's claim was correct. Chocolates brought out the sweetness of the beer and subdued the slight bitterness. The smokiness made my mouth water even more with some barbecued country ribs. I tried it with some sweet Hawaiian bread and it seemed to be made specifically for that pairing.

I definitely recommend this one.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Deep mahogany pour, thin quickly dissipating head. A nice inhale on lift as if slightly upwind of a campfire. Some caramel in the moment. Afterwards, retention of the original scent on the back of the throat, a kind of essence found dissipating in the embers of the morning, the fire remembered. Light on the hops throughout the experience, bringing smoke to the forefront in aroma and aftertaste. Well brewed.

- Bomber pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass -

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

My first porter. Dunno why I had never got around to one of these...especially from my favorite brewers of mass taste bud wreckage! The appearance is strait black with some ruby edging, with a robust tan head. The smell is fairly mellow suprisingly. The taste was also mellow, but a good mellow, not like a ridiculously overkill stout. I was lovin' it already as a re-introduction to the dark side hehe. I remembered it was smoked all the sudden and there it was in my mouth, a perfect level of being smoked. Good job to Stone on that (when do they do a bad job?) The head stuck around the whole bomber-full and the mouthfeel was damn heavy. I could feasibily drink two of these as bombers, but I think I'd be over the roasty-ness by then...very nice though, I'm liking the porter better than the stout!

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Black body with a small one finger brown head that didnt last to long.Nice lacing and some bubbles coming up to the top of the beer.Some darkfruit and roasted smells and chocolate bitterness towards the end of the taste.I taste some bite from the smoke and maybe some vanilla in there as well.Mouthful is just right,with the right amount of carbonation and very coating.Mouthful is a bit heavy But its nothing I wouldnt like to have more of in this type of beer.Great beer and well worth the wait and hype,I would recommend people to check this out when they see it.It cost me $7.00 for a bottle,the first few times I saw it for that price I thought it was a bit steep but I caved in and had a great time with the beer.Great Job STONE!

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a very dark brown, but little head as it was overpoured. Luckily, the head is somewhat regeneratable and leaves good lacing.
Smell is roasty with peat/smoke.
The taste is also traditionally roasty for a porter, but also has a bit of peat flavor to it as well, although not as much as I expected.
Mouthfeel is great, a nice light, and very smooth porter.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.