Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Stone's contribution to the world of extreme, or rather, offbeat porters is near-black in color with a creamy, off-white head. There are muted aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper. This is an extremely dry and bitter porter, with little malt sweetness to match the hop presence and dry, smokiness. The smoke flavors, though advertised as central, are really only second thoughts--complements to an otherwise typical robust porter. I could have handled more smoke, more sweetness, and more pronounced aromas all around.

I love the mouthfeel of this brew: it is dry, powerful, and heavy--something that really lives up to the 'robust' moniker. Unfortunately, the sacrifice for such a palate-challenging brew comes in drinkability. It's for sipping, remote from the industrial, quaffable origins of this style.

Overall, this is a tasty, spicy porter that is most notable for its rough-textured mouthfeel and lack of drinkability. If you want a really "smoky" porter, stick with something else (Left Hand's Smokejumper comes to mind).

Pretty black in color with some red, yellowish, and brown highlights, 1cm light coco colored head. Chocolaty aroma, charred grains with some underlying smokiness and jerky notes. The smokiness stays quite subdued upfront but lingers noteably in the aftertaste. An overall chocolaty porter, with some charred grain and coffee notes, which pairs well with the light smokiness and keeps it quite drinkable. Medium bodied, slightly dry sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: every smoked beer I have had has been super meaty, peaty, and almost jerky like, and this was way different than that. The smokiness stays in the background and just adds some complexity, I thought it was more porter than smoked porter. That said its pretty damn good, and way more drinkable than the other smoked beers I have had.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

OK.... I am probably prejudiced.... because I've LOVED every Stone Brew I've tried.... but here goes:

I poured the 22 oz Bomber into a pint glass. It was a bit of a 'hard" pour that resulted in a 2-1/2" head of tan goodness. The beer is ebony in color.... no light shone through when held to the light.

The head diminished slowly and left behind lot's of clumpy lacing on the glass.

The smell was full of sweet caramel and dark chocolate.

The taste: mmmm.... goodness in a bottle... the first thing that hits me is the smokey taste... I can see why this is a SMOKED PORTER.... it tastes like a campfire thats been smoldering for a week! The dark chocolate pokes through as well as the expresso coffee. The finish is a bit fruity.... wow.... very complex!

Mouthfeel: nicely carbonated.... great mouth coating and aftertaste.

Drinkability: If I had more, I would drink more... but, alas.... the Bomber is gone.... Oh to live in San Diego.... I would have this alot! Highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours almost black with a ruby hue. 3 fingers of light chocolate milk head with an aggressive pour that holds then dies to a ring. Smells of chocolate and a little caramel with a hint of smokiness. Tastes as it smells, subtle but delightful flavors and even an ever so slight hoppiness. Medium, creamy and smooth as silk in the mouth with a slight carbonation tickle. Drinks like a session beer and delightfully so.

4.82/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours an almost opaque deep dark brown almost black with a frothy dark tan head that slowly diminishes to a thin layer and leaves decent lacing on the glass. The aroma was of smoked malt, burnt espresso and molasses. The taste is a wonderful blend of smoke, black malt, espresso, molasses, and a hint of dried fruits, wonderfully complex and not at all overbearing. The mouthfeel is a near perfect light medium bodied with low carbonation. This beer is the almost perfect accent to a chilly rainy evening.

Appearance: Dark brown, nice foamy head.

Smell: Sweet, smoky, maybe a little alcohol?

Taste: The initial tastes are of slightly smoky BBQ sauce, kind of hickory brown sugar. Later on, a little chocolate and coffee notes show up.

Drinkability: If it was available in MN I would probably have it fairly often. Reasonably priced and tasty.

I had this on a recent trip to Indiana. I have had this beer before, but didn't remember much about it. I was hoping for a little more smoked flavor but this was still a tasty brew.

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

This is a great beer. I hadn't had it in a long time, but decided to have a short affair with it tonight. Poured out of the bottle a deep chocolate color, erring on the side of a reddish, black appearance. It foamed up with a beautiful tan head that lingered around .5-1 inch for half of the quaff. The smell reminded me of fresh caramel followed by a hint of smokiness. The taste was definitely smoky with a taste of bitterness reminiscent of dark chocolate. This bitter sweet character was carried through to the end of the swallow which left the palate with a pleasant, bittersweet aftertaste that makes a man not want to brush at night. The drinkability is good, but after more than one of these, you may find yourself searching for something that doesn't make chest hair grow quite as fast.

22oz bomber. tasted from Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Dark brown mahogany with tan/coffee head. Head doesn't linger long but lace does.

S: chocolate malt, roast coffee. peat smoke, but subtle

T: great. some chocolate (reminds me of Lindt 70%) malty with no hop detectable. I detect a hint of dark caramel

M med-full body smooth and a bit creamy. a nice smoky aftertaste. light smokiness not bonfire-like

D: a very nice porter. pour me another.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Looks, and tastes, delicious.

Black, nice leathery head. Huge shots of espresso/coffee and chocolate round out a decidedly robust mouthfeel. Highly carbonated for a porter. Smell is (not a surprise) definitely robust coffee with bitter chocolate. One could hope for a bit more vanilla or fruit to round it out, but still excellent.

Very choice.

**this beer hasn't lived up to my original score after repeat tastings. Knocking it down just a tad. A bit one note for me, at this point.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer is fantastic. It pours black with ruby highlights showing when held to the light. Head is small, minimal lacing. Smell is nice, with coffee, chocolate, smokey savory notes, and hoppy floral notes. The taste is fantastically complex, with meaty smoke flavors, herbal bitter hoppiness, coffee, chocolate, cream, sharp cheeses, nuts, etc. Damn this gots the complexity goin on. Mouthfeel is quite nice and this is quite sessionable. Recommended.

22oz. bomber ($3.99 @ Bottle King in Hillsdale!) poured into a pint glass.

Pours black with ruby highlights and about two fingers worth of tan head that leaves behind gobs of lacing. Smells pleasantly roasty and lightly smoky with some chocolate. Tastes much like the smell; smokiness dominates while roasted malts and chocolate provide a solid backbone. The smokiness dominates initially but slowly yields to a roasty flavor that itself dominates by the finish. Good mouthfeel, medium body, moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, I feel the smokiness builds and may be a bit overpowering after a few. This beer is a good, solid beer that I'd certainly recommend.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Pint from Naja's Place

Very dark with a small head for a porter, tastes better when it is not so cold

Nice bite to it after the swallow

Goes very good with desseet, similar to a stout, which surprised me, this is not case for most porters

Really want to try the brandy barrel aged if they ever have it at Stone again

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 22 oz. bottle of this with my dad-we both liked it.

A- Deep brown body with thick, smooth and creamy dark tan head. Head has good retention and leaves behind plenty of lacing in the glass. Vibrant-bright red tone can be seen throughout the body when held up to the light.

S- Lots of chocolate malt, toffee, and some vanilla. Nothing overpowering and a nice balance between them.

T- Robust chocolate malt upfront with lots of toffee and hop flavor in the background. Lots of vanilla comes out for the finish along with plenty of chocolate malt and some bitter coffee taste. Both chocolate malt and a subtle vanilla sweetness linger.

D- Medium to low carbonation and medium weight body. Smooth and creamy. Near perfect for a porter.

D- This stuff is good. Probably my favorite porter. Has the big robust taste of a stout but the smooth drinkability of a porter. One I will definitely have again. Nice job by Stone.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Time to check another one of the Stone creations off my list.

Poured from the bottle into a belgian snifter, the Smoked Porter is a dark brown color, with nice tan head that leaves minimal lace. It's deep brown in color, but does exhibit some shades of red and dark orange at the edges when held up to the light. Nice looking, but nothing exceptional. The aroma is rich and malty, but less smoky than I would have imagined given the beer's name. It's a nutty aroma with some smoke present, but not as pronounced as I thought it might be. Still, it's a nice porter nose. The taste is rich and nutty as well, with a bitter chocolate/coffee finish. The smoke really emerges in the aftertaste; even more so as the beer warms up to room temperature. It's a mild smokiness, but very evident, and very tasty. Smooth, silky mouthfeel keeps things moving along nicely.

This is an entirely drinkable porter. If the title of the beer scares you off, or if you're not a fan of smoked beers, don't worry - this is not as smoky as you might think. It's a mild smokiness, evened out by a firm malt presence and nutty/coffee/chocolate flavors. It's a good beer, all around.

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%

another good brew from Stone. i have not had one yet that was not very good from them. this is not my favorite style of beer but here goes. poured smooth into my glass. small 1/8" head that remained. nice light lace as i drank it. good even carbonation too. rich smoked smell and taste. a bit rich for me but very good. the only reason for not a 4 on appearance is i would like a lil more head. and drinkability is tough for me to give a 4 when it is sooo rich.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours out an almost opaque dark brown, close to black color. Creates a thick, dense and creamy tan head with excellent retention and a bit of lacing.

Smokey aromas were somewhat muted and tame. Notes of charred oak, chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts and vanilla come through.

Mouthfeel was moderately light and fluffy with a mild carbonation.

Taste profile was a bit more assertive than the aromas revealing more of the charred wood and smoke characteristics expected. A nice balance noted between the smokey tones and the chocolate/coffee flavors from the dark roasted malts along with just a touch of hops.

Finish seemed a touch astringent for a brief second or two, but if you’re in the mood for a smoked dark ale this is a solid choice.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Popped a bomber of this after having some carne asada. On to the beer:

I poured this into a hefeweizen glass and got a black figure inside the glass, with the color fading on the edges of the glass. My mom actually asked me if I needed a fork to consume this beer! Yes, it's a rich porter with esters, a touch of chocolate, roasted flavors, and charcoal smoke. It was lighter than I was expecting in the mouth, and firm. The smoke can sometimes become too monotone, driving down the drinkability a bit. Delicious stuff.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

It poured into the glass the color of of coffee with a thick light tan head. I was expecting a bit more of a smell. I guess seeing that it's a smoked porter I was expecting a campfire or jerky aroma. I didn't really pick up any of that at all. The taste didn't hit me as smokey either. Just kind of an average to decent porter. I couldn't really detect chocolate, licorice, coffee, smoke, or any of that other crap the bottle had promised. Just a decent dark beer with a minute bitter aftertaste and low carbonation. Maybe it was sitting on the store shelf for a while or something. I've had a smoked bock before that reeked of smoke flavor in the past. I figured this beer would be similar. It wasn't even close.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Mahogany brown- black hue. Tan colored head. One finger thick head dissipates to a thin topping. Sticky lacing develops as beer is quaffed.

S: Not the type of nose I have come to expect from Stone offerings. Roasty aroma is surprisingly weak. Weak smoke aroma as well. Malt character is quite grainy. Some muted hop aroma.

T: Well balanced between lightly burnt/roasty and smokey sweet malt and good bittering hop flavor. It's a pretty strong flavor profile.

MF: Medium-light body - pretty light for a porter. Moderate carbonation. Slight warming and slightly astringent.

D/Overall Impression: Definitely an easy drinking sessionable porter. A dark and flavorful roasty porter. I was expecting a more smokey character.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

My favorite from Stone! Good look, very smooth, and easy to drink Porter. I always have this in my fridge! It appears very dark, almost black, with a nice kaki colored head. Auroma is plesant. The taste is hinted of chocolate, slight smokey flavor. This is a great after dinner beer!

4.05/5  rDev +1%

From the bottle, this is still a great beer. Good taste of malts, but not tremendously overwhelming. slight chocolate taste, as advertised, but you have to search for it a little bit. good smoky aftertaste. Great mouthfeel, nice and crispy, but not before you get to taste the beer. I recommend it, but not quite as full as I thought.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours very dark with some beautiful ruby highlights when held up against the light. Big, fluggy brown creamy head. Very nice lacing. Exceptional to look at.

Aroma of coffee, malts, sweet dark chocolate.

Taste is smokey [not overpowering], light bitterness at the end. Has a wood burning taste.

Medium body, decently cleansing, very dry [somewhat surprising].

Overall, a very nice beer. Good to sip. Nicely complex. Good session brew. I appreciate that the smoke flavor is not overwhelming...just right.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

22 Ounce poured twice into a pint glass.

A: Very dark, when held up to light it had maybe a slight dark amber color. The head disappeared quickly and there was no head to speak of. Did I mention stout-like darkness?

S: Smelled great, chocolate and coffee, just like I love.

T: I liked it, but not as strong as I thought. I loved the smoked taste. There was the heavy presence of chocolate and mild coffee, but I was surprised that it didn't have the alcohol that I expected from Stone. I loved the smokey aftertaste which made up for the lack of bite that I thought was going to be there.

M: I love the Stone beers and I usually associate them with "strong" beers, but this wasn't as heavy as their other beers. Not acidic, which I like, not to many alcohol tones.

D: I actually believe this could be a beer that I would have a few of at say,,,, a cookout, but the price tag is steep to be a session beer. I payed $4.99 for the 22 OZ, so at most I would have two in one sitting.

bottom line: Its better than average, great aftertaste, needs more alcohol/hop presence, but overall I enjoyed it despite the price.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Mountain States Cup/Breckenridge Brewery pint glass. The beer is a deep brown almost black, but does let some light through to produce a nice ruby hue. I poured this one fairly aggressively and it produce a large tan, bubbly and foamy head that eventually diminished to a nice 1 finger head.

Aromas are pretty subdued. Roasted malts. Some chocolate and a slight smoky smell. I was also picking up a slight metallic smell that wasn't too pleasant.

First thing I notice with the taste is of an American drip style coffee. Some peatyness. Bitter chocolate, almost baker's, and a smoky finish.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice creaminess and a good moderate level of carbonation. A bomber was definitely easy to get down. Porters can be hit or miss with me, but this one is very good. Recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bottle

A - Pours black with mahogany highlights and a 2 finger tan head the leaves sticky lacing everywhere.

S - The aroma is very faint but is chocolate and roasted malt with just a touch of smokiness.

T - Medium level of smoke up front followed by roasted malt and chocolate. I enjoy the more subdued level of smokiness.

M - Medium bodied but not as creamy as I was expecting.

D - A very good smoked porter with just the right level of smoke in my opinion. Not as smoky as Alaskan.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.