Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Yet another great brew from the people at Stone, who have yet to let me down and are now my all time favorite brewery. This one poures a very dark brown, almost black with a small head that leaves decent lace around the glass. The smell reminded me of the Arrogant Bastard Ale but with a hint of smoke, chocolate and coffee added to it. The taste is right on: little bit of hop bite at the beginning, then the smoked flavor comes in along with a hint of malt and chocolate, and finishes with a crisp coffee flavor. This one would go great with some bar-b-q'd burgurs....awesome brew!

Dmann, Apr 02, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Well, Stone's is batting a 1000 with me so far. This is another very good brew that pleases all the way through. Very dark brown to black look with a somewhat smallish tan head, but a good degree of lacing left behind to remind you of what was. The taste is a very nice blend of smokey and roasted grains that give a sense of chocolate and coffe, but without overpowering the senses. This is another of the Stone's brews that gives good body in the mouthfeel, but which finishes with enough crispness as to not be wimpy creamy. Again I say, more, please.

AtLagerHeads, Apr 01, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

As a fan of Rauchbiers, I pretty much knew that I would enjoy this. The smokey flavor seems very appropriate for a porter. Rather then the smokey flavor dominating the taste like some of the Rauchbiers, it compliments the chocolate and coffee tastes of this porter. This beer really makes me wish that Stone was more available in PA.

dmarch, Mar 30, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Blind Tiger in New York City.

Appearance: Jet black with frothy tan head that laced like mad.

Smell: Chocolate malt and toffee aromas.

Taste: Starts off with a surprising hops flavor. Follows with strong bitter chocolate malt taste. Coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking.

Comments: I was surprised and disappointed that I could not detect any smoky characteristics, but I enjoyed this nevertheless.

Denali, Mar 22, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at the Sunset Cantina.

Thick webby lacing riding off the tawny brown colour. Estery smoky aroma and malty nose. Spicy alcohol flavour with a smoke charcoal malt in the middle. Big maltiness with a light hop balance, some mellow chocolaty malt flavours in the end with a lingering faint smoke. Good stuff on tap and one of the better porters on tap I have had, bring it on.

Jason, Mar 21, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

Stone Smoked Porter pours a brilliant, deep black color with a thick, brown head of uneven foam—good lacing. A pungent, burnt fruit aroma fills my nose, suggesting carbonized food more than smoke. There’s a touch of the slightly astringent, slightly solvent-like smell that seems to accompany all smoke beers—smelling like plastic burning on a campfire.

The flavor is meaty and roasted, with a slightly rich, boldness that belies the gravity. A taste shockingly similar to roasted peanuts complete with salt, fills my mouth on the swallow. The smokiness seems to be more evident in the tail than in the mouth, with a suggestion of the darkened, outer skin that surrounds a smoked beef brisket. The final taste, if the beer is allowed to rest a while between sips, is that of deep, musty, wet earth. Of course, I haven’t eaten much moist, black earth, but I know what it smells like, so I can extrapolate a little. The salty, solvent-like astringency never really disappears, but neither does the underlying roasty porter base, nor the bitterness of the hops.

I like this smoked porter—it tastes more like meat than other smoked beers I’ve tried and the peanut flavor was kinda fun, not to mention unusually compelling.

TXHops, Mar 20, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +2%

The unusual tar tinted dark brown color requires careful examination. The full smoky (not overly so) malt is the star of the show. The fairly high hops with light a metallic and somewhat grapefruity bitterness deserve some attention as well. Lightly sweet with a dry edged body. A hint of dark chocolate and coffee offer contrasting flavors to offset both the malt sweetness and hop bitterness. A smoky edge is more apparent in the aroma than in flavor. A light hop floral bouquet and sweet malt give way to a comforting smokiness. The beige/tan head dissipates at its own slow pace then lingers as fine lace. Flavors merge, blend and congenially mingle together. Well Done!

BeerResearcher, Mar 19, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Wonderful, dark, ponderous brew. Pours thick and heavy. You can see the head coming up through the thick beer, roiling, getting lighter, and forming a thick, munchy tan head that looks so beautiful against the black liquid. A gorgeous beer; one of the prettiest I've ever poured. Sweet malty aroma.

I ought to know by now that porters are not heavy beers, necessarily, but still I am surprised by the deftness of the taste. Sweet, but not thick or syrupy. Nice hint of smoke, nice deep layer of chocolate. Nice and complex, with different flavors dancing around your tongue, from the slightly bitter to the cocoa-sweet.

Head is long-lasting, clings to the glass like it's afraid it might drown.

All of Stone's beers make me grin like a fool. I just sit there, sipping, marveling in the complexity. Then I see how much is left in that big brown bottle and grin and grin and grin. But, unlike the other Stone beers, this one won't knock you on your butt. An excellent quiet evening beer.

Darkale, Mar 15, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Huge 22oz. bomber, pours with an very dark ruby almost opaque black in color, with a moccha toned nicely constructed head. The aroma is mainly of darker roasts with a background of a smokey screen in the aroma. The flavor is has mild cocoa notes along with roasted barley all wrapped up in a wonderful rauch style smoked. Leaves a nice dryness on the tongue, I am guessing this beer goes really well with a nice juicy steak. Very good porter, if just getting into rauchbier this is a nice one to start with, very mild smoke taste and aroma. All together very well done, everything is tied together to form a complete full flavor. A medium to light bodied porter, this beer definitely turns the tongue into a desert, very dry mouthfeel. All in all very drinkable smoked porter, but even with my love for Stone this is a dinner beer for me. Not a beer for chilling at the bar and drinking one right after another, but a very enjoyable experience none the less.

WVbeergeek, Mar 08, 2003
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Presentation: 22oz. brown bottle with the ever-present beer-guarding gargoyle.

Appearance: Poured a very rich-looking dark brown color. Opaque. Dark tan head with excellent lacing.

Smell: That smell of campfire smoke in your clothes. Or a summer barbecue with friends. Not an overpowering smoky smell...just enough to let you know it's there.

Taste: Mostly a bitter dark chocolate flavor with a fair amount of smoky flavor. Towards the end there was a modest amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Large. Very full-bodied and crisp.

Drinkability: I'm not a fan of smoke-flavored beers. However, this was not a bad beer to drink. I let it warm quite a bit from the first to last taste and it certainly got better towards the end. The smoke flavor is not overpowering and really complements the other flavors.

OldFrothingSlosh, Feb 27, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Color is opaque black. A hard pour delivered a fluffly, creamy, chocolate-colored head, malty and delicious. An immediate scent of bubblegum in the nose, followed by roasted grains, sour, sweet malt, and cigarette/campfire smoke. The flavor is oakey, sour, and more fruity and less espresso-like than a stout (appropriate for the porter style?) As it warms, an oatmeal malty sweetness appears. Mouthfeel is silky and smooth. A very well-balanced brew with a dry, smokey, and coffeeish lingering finish.

An excellent, balanced porter from Stone, not as "in-your-face" as some other Stone brews, which is fine by me.

Riggo, Feb 15, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a great dark color, even the head was dark. And surprise! No overwhelming hops. It had all kinds of great porter tastes, chocalate, caramel, etc. I liked this beer almost too much, craving it like an addict. A definite solid beer, worhty of stone.

bewareOFpenguin, Feb 10, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Really wasn't all that smokey for a beer that has the word smoked in it's title. Poured out very dark with a nice head. Tastes very mellow for a stone brew. Feels good in the mouth and good in the stomach. A quite good porter with a hint of smoke. Mmmmm... Stone.

scottum, Feb 08, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pour is a dark, ruby-tinged brown. Thick, rocky tan head, medium diminishing, and leaving excellent lace. Aroma is roasted malt, hints of some fruits, and light smoke. Flavor starts quite sweet, middle gets more of the bitter roasted flavor, and ends with some light smoke and bitter chocolate. The hops show up a bit in the end as well.

goz, Feb 06, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Dark brown color, not quite black, with a big creamy head of small tan bubbles.
Aroma of toasted malt, coffee and a bit of smokiness.
Full bodied and flavored with a smooth creamy mouthfeel, lots of coffee and sweet malt flavor and a smokey finish that reminds me of a nice single malt scotch.
A very tasty brew, the 22 oz. bomber just wasn't enough, I really need more of this beer! Thanks to JohnnyP for bringing me my first Stone beer.

MaineBeerMan, Jan 26, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

This brew pours a very sexy black with a tan creamy head that last the duration, leaving a sexy lace behind. I am so excited to try this, Seeming I just brewed a smoked porter my self. Hops fill the nose along with burnt amber aroma. The first sip brings a nice smoky flavor to the palate, which is very, very nice. Hops fill the rest of the palate with a coffee malt flavor. This is a very good beer, A clean finish is very nice because the smoked flavor is not stuck in your mouth for a long time. This is another exceptional beer by Stone.

Cheers

kunzbrew, Jan 21, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Very dark brown in color, almost black, but with clear ruby and mahogany highlights visible at the base of the glass. It's frothy tan head holds quite well. It keeps a creamy collar and thin surface covering throughout the glass, and leaves good lace as well. The nose is quite enticing, with a chocolate and caramel base that's enhanced by a soft peat-smokiness. The smoke is just enough to add to, and enhance, the aroma of the beer. The body is medium/full, creamy, and velvety smooth in the mouth. The flavor, much like the aroma and mouthfeel, is quite smooth and round. This beer is exceptionally well balanced in all regards. It's softly sweet with a combination of milk chocolate and caramel, a light touch of smoke, a supportive bitterness and some background hop flavors. It finishes with a lingering roastiness, mild smokiness, and dull bitterness followed by some light, grassy hop flavor. Although the subtle smoke gets lost in the flavor over the course of the glass, it remains in the nose. Very nicely done, and highly drinkable with just enough smoke to give it a little bit of complexity and keep it interesting throughout one or two. Except for it's strength, this would make a very nice session beer. Highly recommended.

NeroFiddled, Jan 16, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

(MY first review on BA) - I'm not a huge porter/stout fan, but I like this beer enough to give it another try. Pours almost solid black with a nice tan head. A bit thin for a porter, but this adds a bit to the drinkability. Mild alcohol bite at first, but disappears after about three sips. Not a whole lot of complex tastes going on here, a bit of coffee taste. Nice hoppy bitterness going down. Basically a hoppy, not-so-thick porter. As good a porter as i've tried.

A year and half later, with a year and a half more beer knowledge:
Expected this to be a bit more thick, with maybe a little more "Smoke" to speak of. No doubt the tamest of the Stone brews i've tried, this is still a good porter. Good malted milk flavors to add to the above review.

avylover, Jan 08, 2003

dark brown...transparent...charcoal-hued

Smells like my shirt after standing too close to a struggling campfire...plus a little cocoa.

Maybe the most delicate of Stone's brews I've tried. Or is it watery? It manages to pull together flavors of burning wood, whole cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla, prunes and spice. Really enjoyable actually.

Try with Moderato's smoked leg of lamb (done in a Texas smoker)

putnam, Jan 08, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Black with a touch of amber, if you hold it up to the light, and a thin but persistent head. Aroma of chocolate, a touch of coffee, and a light touch of smoke. The flavor begins with coffee and a bit of chocolate... with some spicy and slightly bitter hops blending in. The smoke flavor complements the beer very well, but in no way overpowers it. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, with a medium body and low carbonation. A very well done beer.

zerk, Jan 03, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Dark brown, mohogany (ruby red highlights) with a low brown head and light lace. Light smoky and chocolate aroma with rough roasty alcohol tones. Chocolate malt flavor dominates with a light smokiness. Medium bodied with a slightly rough bitter finish.

[22 oz. bottle for $3.99]

RBorsato, Dec 27, 2002
4.1/5  rDev +2%

After trying some of Stone's other offerings I expected an over the top, smoky, thick porter on the imperial side. What I found was a very nice, medium bodied, roasty porter that was tasty and very drinkable. To me the smokiness was negligible, but this didn't detract from it's merits as a decent brew, in fact it was one of the better porters around, just not quite what I expected. A nicely balanced beer with plenty of bittersweet chocolate and coffee and a subtle hop bite in the finish. Another fine Stone brew.

QXSTER1, Dec 15, 2002
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Perhaps I have a predilection for smoky things. Sam Adam's Scotch Ale was my favorite of their offerings and I lamented its demise. My favorite scotch whiskies come from Islay. I love to barbecue with mesquite or hickory chips. Hell, the name of my alma mater's mascot is Smokey. So with that I have to say, this is one tasty brew. Anyone who likes porters or smoked beers should give it a try.

It pours black in the glass with a tan head that dissipates midway through consumption. There's a lot going on in the aroma: fruity esters...plum preserves and raisins, as well as light molasses, chocolate, a touch of sourness and just a whisp of smoke.
Very balanced taste. Dark malt (yet without that deep roasted bitterness..spot on for a porter) and sweeter malt with enough hops to keep the sweetness in check. The mouthfeel is lush and medium-bodied. A subtle smokiness comes through in the finish and sticks around on your palate, very nicely done.

johnrobe, Dec 14, 2002
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

I'm not an experienced drinker of smoked Porters so I have little basis for comparison. I like the look of the beer. Nice and dark with a decent head. The aroma was subtle and I tried to pick up the smokiness but really couldn't. Mostly it smelled like a pale ale just not as hoppy and citrusy.The beer has a nice velvety mouthfeel but was a lot crisper than I thought it would be. I expected either chocolatey or bitter or both. I was a little disappointed in the amount of smoke in the taste (after all this was my first experience with a smoked beer). It was there but very faint and in the background. I should say that I'm a huge Stone fan so I hold their beers up to a very, very high standard. This beer was good but not as rich and smokey as I would have liked. I drank it cold (right out of the 'fridge) and perhaps too cold. I think I'll try it again when the weather gets brutally cold and I'll let the beer warm up to closer to room temperature

mickstepp, Dec 08, 2002
3.9/5  rDev -3%

This porter pours a deep rich black with garnet highlights. The head is a light carmel color with lots of staying power. The aroma is malty with notes of smoke and dried fruit. The taste starts smooth with plenty of malt flavor and finishes with a smokey bite and an aftertaste of hop spiciness and smoke. The mouthfeel is quite velvety and smooth. A very enjoyable porter. The smokiness is balanced with the sweetness of the malt quite well. Personally I wish there was a little more umph (sp?) to it. I feel like I have been teased in that it left me expecting more than I got. None the less this is a very nice porter. Has potential to be a great porter.

purplehops, Dec 07, 2002
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.