Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured black with chestnut edges. Nice creamy tan head. Good lace. Aromas of roasted malt, chocolate and a subtle sweet smokiness.
Taste of charred malt, chocolate and a tangy hard wood smokiness. The smoke comes through a lot more in the flavor than the smell. The smoke and a hop bitterness lingered on the palate a little longer than I liked. Almost seemed to need a slightly sweet element to balance it out.
Good mouthfeel if not a little thin. The sharp aftertaste hurt the drinkability for me.

rkhaze, Dec 08, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Deep dark red-brown, with a tan head that laces well.
Smoky and roasted aroma hits your nose as soon as you pour.
Hits all the dark tastes coffee, chocolate, raisin, and roasted malt, but lying under them all is a smokyness. These are balanced by a good amount of hops.
A lighter feel than I expected, on the light side of medium.
I bet it would go great with smoked meats (such as pulled pork).
Very drinkable, more subdued that I'd expect when the words Stone and Smoked are involved.

mschofield, Dec 02, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +1%

this beer simply smells wonderful. I had to smell it even before I poured my first glass from the bottle. light head dissapeared after the first few sips. it's a suitably dark dark red / brown porter color.

did I mention it smells really good? there's a subtle almost carmelized undertone that hearkens to roasted food which strikes me as very tasty.

initial flavor is somewhat tangy "hoppy wood" which fades quickly after swallowing to yield hints of malt. the hops return and the tail continues a low light hoppy ride off to a dry finish on the sides of my tongue.

mouthfeel improves as it warms up, but is still a tad on the light side for me. (I <3 malt.)

overall a very good beer, worth seeking out for the smell alone.

tfinn, Dec 02, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

my second stone brew. they're easily 2 for 2 thusfar. pours a dark dark brown to near black with a nice creamy tan head that leaves a nice stickiness on the glass. the smell and taste are of smoke, coffee, chocolate and malt. the smell has some other sweet qualities to it and the taste falls in the order listed above, with a finish that goes back to the coffee flavour for a nice dry finish. this is an easy drinking brew that is most complex than most, if not all, of the porters that i have sampled. the relatively low alcohol content makes this a nice choice for a different type of session brew if you are looking for one.

SixpointJMH, Dec 01, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a deep brown with some ruby tint to it with a light but creamy looking almond colored head,the aroma is very nice I think the light smoky hints along with the chocolate almost makes a fudge brownie aroma is it just me?Taste is very earthy with a raw peanut flavor with the smokiness coming in late that lingers definant resiny hop flavor intermingaled in there as well.A pretty complex beer very worthy of its high marks in my humble opinion.

oberon, Nov 22, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Rich dark brown color almost opaque; nice tan to light brown head. Faint smokiness amidst all the qualities of a quality porter; roastiness, maltiness and all the stereotypical dark ale qualitites (coffee, chocolate, dark fruit, etc...) Personally, I've tasted better porters, but the subtle smoke presence in this beer rounds it out and makes it quite enjoyable. I feel Stone has done a remarkable job with this beer. Of course, it's no Schlenkerla as far as smoked beers go, but you know it's not trying to be that kind of a smoked beer. Sometimes less is better, and if this beer was more aggressively smoked, I'm not so sure I'd like it as much. It's found a certain kind of chi. Right up there with Anchor Porter as a quality west coast porter.

crookedhalo, Nov 20, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep brown color, with a head that was quick to pile up and quick to bubble down, and showing better lacing than I expected. Smell was roasty, with scents of nuts and mild coffee, dark chocolate, and some smoke. Taste was at first roasty, chocolatey, with a great porter body of flavor. It seemed have just enough lick of hops, but it came through with a sizable salty and, what comes close to, green and oily hops in the long finish. This is what soured my opinion of the beer.

A little too much hop bitterness for me, this beer was surprisingly flavorful for a thin body - in fact, a thin session mouthfeel but covered in some carbonation. Well done just not my taste for a porter.

nomad, Nov 10, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours black with a persistant light brown head. Aroma is first of roast malt, followed by smoke which comes to dominate the aroma, though it is not overwhelming. The taste is malty, with roasted notes, and then the smoke injects itself. The smoke is the dominant flavor, though it is not as strong as some other examples. Very well balanced for a Stone beer :-)

Gueuzedude, Nov 08, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Nice dark brown hue with a small, frosty white head.

Aroma: Smoky malt and hops. Coffee and mocha also present.

Taste: Smoke and coffee throughout, with a hoppy dryness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but dry. Coffee and chocolate give it good body.

Drinkability: Stronger than most porters I have had, but still a great interpretation. Will try again when I can.

winomark, Oct 31, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

At first, I thought this porter was created with one of the specialty techniques involving “smoke” as in the style of the German smoke beers like Rauchenfels Steinbrau . Thus upon first tasting this beer I was in a quandary over it having anything to do with “smoke” at all. After some research I found the “smoke” came from the peat smoke roasted malt.

The beer poured with a dark brown color- not quite black like a stout might be, but a deep rich substantial "brown".
The pour formed a nice foamy tan head.

As for flavor-- it’s a tasty porter-- a little light in the malt flavor signature department especially given the peat smoked malt and overall lighter flavor profile compared to other “fave” porters such as Ipswich . Stone Smoke Porter has a much heartier start to finish than Anchor Brewing’s porter. Generally it has all the profile and character of an excellent heavier bodied beer. In my opinion, it has the proper color, hearty balance of hops and malt, nice mouthfeel and a lingering finish. Although I can’t detect anything special about the malt notes. Maybe I’m expecting something out of the ordinary because of the so-called peat smoked malt. Nevertheless-- I like! I like!

gueuzeonhigh, Oct 16, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Black as night, tannish head lasted and left nice rings of lace. Slightly smoky smell wafted up from the glass. Nice subtle roastiness and smoked character I found was just right. Good solid mouthfeel, highly drinkable. A very nice porter and one I would seek out again. Go Stone!

Mark, Oct 16, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Dark brown beer, with splotches of red where the light hits it. Dark tan head with great retention.

Aroma: Deeply stonish aroma. Smells like an arrogant bastard roasted in a fire. The malt presence is bursting forth with wild abandon.

Taste: Smokyness hits the middle of the tongue. Bitterness lingers through the flavor. Tingly smokyness accentuated by the hop presence. Malt is not too overpowering, and the smoke level seems right. Mouthfeel is nice, like most of the Stone beers I've had.

Notes: Good beer in small doses. Smokyness mostly balanced by the malt sweetness. If you like smoky beers, don't pass this one by.

beerinator, Oct 09, 2003

pours a fairly opaque black with a nice khaki head that dissapears quickly. smell is of burnt coffe, toffee, woodsmoke and chocolate. Flavour was more subtle than i thought it would be. Starts of with a sweetness and finishes with a bit of a hop bite. Not alot of smoke on the palate however. I dont think i would have pegged this a smoke beer if i had not have known. the mouthfeel is silky smooth and the beer is nice and light on the carbonation. Drinkablity- this would go great with any grilled meats. I could definately see it with nice rich stew esp if the stew had a bit of bacon in it. Not a session beer but definately one you could savour during a meal

TinusTime, Oct 06, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a hefty, creamy light brown head atop a very dark body with burnt orange highlights. The aroma is of a sweet base malt, with touches of a blend of smoke and bitter chocolate malts. The body is smooth and a bit lighter than I expected, and the hops bitterness is apparent almost immediately, as the balance is definitely toward the bitter side. The finish is so dominated by a gigantic citrusy hop bite that the smoke and dark roasted malt are difficult to pick out, though they do come through a bit as the hop fades a touch after a long and heavy presence.

This is my first taste of a Stone beer, and after built up expectations from all the hype I've heard, I am sorry to say I'm a bit disappointed. They managed to take a beer that should have multiple levels of interest and effectively squelch most of it with an oppressive hoppiness. That said, perhaps my expectations were just too high -- it's a good beer, and if I'm really looking for a load of hops, I'll look here again. But, in my opinion, for a smoked porter, this is far from well-balanced. The other bottle I bought will live in the cellar for a while, and perhaps the flavors will be perfectly balanced and blended after the hops have some time to fade.

Stopper, Oct 06, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

What an ubelievable beer. Poured into clear pint glass, the richness of this brew is aparent immediately. Nice tan lace cascades down the glass until the end. You can smell the dark malt and smokiness, but it is not overwhelming nor distracting. I could not get over the taste. Rich and deep, all I can say it is the essence of what a porter should taste like. Chewy and fulfilling, it is certianly one of my favorite porters.

AaronRed, Oct 05, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Having tried Alaskan Smoked Porter a little while back, I wanted to try another smoked porter and compare the two. This is possibly the most subtle beer I have ever had. It pours a dark black, with a moderate tan head and average lacing. The smell is that of most good porters - roasted malt, notes of black coffee - but with a beguiling smokiness hovering in the background. This smokiness sets the mood without dominating it. The taste is again a study in smoky restraint. The coffeeish, roasted malt taste is filled out and accentuated by the smoke flavor, which adds a rich, silkiness to the proceedings. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy, like any good porter. This is a wonderful beer, and I deeply regret having purchased only one. Whereas Alaskan Smoked Porter bursts forth when you drink it, like a big alderwood swat team busting down your door, this smoked porter shakes your hand and puts its arm over your shoulder

woemad, Sep 30, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Deep Black Color, medium head. Aroma is smoky and malty. Roasted malt flavor, slightly sweet, chocolate and coffee, slightly smoky. Hops balance the roasted malts well. This is a nice porter, yet the slight touch of smoky adds an extra touch of flavor. Taste is very smooth. The smokiness is subdued and may not please a lot of drinkers. All in all a very nicely done beer. Subtly sometimes works better than a sledgehammer. Stone beers are usually over the top, this one is subtle. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. Etched/painted beer bottle.

beerguy101, Sep 25, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Pure opaque black with a grayish-tan head. Light carbonation and sticky, irregular lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of a canvas tent that carries aroma of last year's campfire with it, a nice, earthy mustiness accompanied by the smell of a bed of coals wet by fresh rain. There's nothing falsified about this smokiness, no liquid smoke notes to be found. Breathing deeply a crisp hoppiness is found. But overall this brew smells old . . . old and wise.

Taste: Smooth as can be. The slightly oily liquid glides into my mouth, filling every corner possible. There's no assault and no shock, just a perfectly balanced gem. Very round. I swear I've never had a beer make my mouth water like this one. Slightly sweet, dark malts up front, with a slight prickling on the tongue from the combination of alcohol and carbonation. Finishes sweet and then dry, with a combination of fresh hops and more wonderful, understated woodsmoke.

Notes: Excellent beer. It may not be the smokiest, but it surely impressed me. TRY THIS BEER!

rabidawg, Sep 24, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

This brew pours a dark almost black color with a slight hint of ruby. There is a fair sized tan head at the top and it gives away to a very thin sticky lace. The aroma is a mixture of roasted malt, brunt coffee, and a slight sweet scent. The flavor is mellow but very satisfying and is a direct copy of the aroma. There is a bit of a dry after taste (hops?) that hangs around and more of the smoke (burnt coffee) finish. Another very nice brew from Stone. I could sit down and enjoy another one BUT I only have one and some bitch named Isabel is hanging around off the coast.

Stubbie1, Sep 18, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

This was my first brew from the Stone Brewing Co and I was quite impressed. Pours very dark, almost black with ruby highlights. Nice tan head that is quite fluffy for a moment, becomes rocky for a short while, and finally gives way to a nice thick, sticky lace that holds on to the sides of the glass. Aroma is of roasty, caramel malts and a slight hop influence. The mouthfeel is first smooth, sweet caramel malt with slight undertones of chocolate. Then the strong roasty flavor hits the pallete and follows through to a mildly bitter, slightly dry finish. A roasty burnt flavor lingers afterwards. Medium body with moderate to light carbonation. Great mellow brew that’s doesn’t try to knock your socks off, but does anyway. A very solid, drinkable brew that I really enjoy. I was quite sad to hit the bottom of the 22oz bottle. I can’t wait to pick this one up again!

byrd, Sep 10, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +11%

Sampled on 8/23/03 from 22 oz. bomber.

Appearance: Deep and dark with red and amber at the edges. Tan head that fades to some nice lacing.

Smell: The smoke is evident here, although subtle. Chocolate, tobacco, coffe, all underpinned by a caramel/malt sweetness.

Taste: Mocha, malt, cassis, a hint of toffee and smoky hoppiness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Like a silk sheet this one was, minimal carbonation and a fantastic roundness in the mouth.

Drinkability: I worked through that bomber in no time, and started to look for another that unfortunately wasn't there. Must remember more than one next time.

Hefe, Sep 09, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

This was my 1st stone I ever tried, so i figure it's time to review it

Nice lace once poured. Good look, descent smell. There was the hint of raosted malts in the after taste, and smoke was theree, just not the way I expected. The dominant flavor had to be the bitterness from the hops. Reminded me of arrogant bastard that way. The creamy ness come in full effect after the bittnerness. I wish they would sacrifice the bitterness for more of the roasted flavor, but it is still a good beer. enjoy!

PSUDREW, Sep 01, 2003
3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

I was really dissapointed with this porter from Stone. While it poured black in color and had some tan foam, the flavor was not what I expected. The smell of roasted malts were very appearent along with the hint of smoke. But, the flavor was not what I was exspecting from stone. The flavor lacked depth. The roasted malts and smoke flavor just wasn't powerful enough. It was just an average porter. I could taste the bitterness, but the flavor was lacking in every aspect of this porter.

This has made two of there latest beers that I have really been dissapoint with. The 7th anniversay and now their porter.

BeerManDan, Aug 26, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer kicks all forms of major ass, I’m speechless! It pours a deep black color, there’s not a single bit of light passing through this one. It’s topped of by a thick and creamy tan head that dissipates moderately, leaving a thick, sticky film on the sides of the glass. Every time I smell the sweet aroma I detect a different scent. The major aromas are roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, and caramel with just a hint of butterscotch. There is a great balance of charred oak smokiness intermixed with the sweet aromas. The taste matches the aroma perfectly; ever aroma that I detected is represented very well on the palate. There is a nice coffee-like aftertaste that lingers around for a while. This is a beautifully well-balanced, full bodies brew. I could see myself drinking this beer all night long. It’s absolutely wonderful.

Scooter77, Aug 23, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours near black in color with traces of very dark copper hues near the bottom where light eeks through. Tan head leaves traces of itself in thick sheets down the side of the glass. Sweet aroma consists of chocolate, coffee, rich malt and a touch of charred wood. Full-bodied, yet smooth mouthfeel. Flavors of sweet malt and chocolate introduce themselves up front. A hop bitterness makes its appearance midway through as it tosses a new flavor element into the mix. The unmistakable smokey flavor hits also in the middle, which is utilized perfectly throughout and lingers long after the dry finish. The smoked flavor is more intense as the porter warms.

Flavors are better, as the label suggests, if this porter isn't served right out of the fridge. Just a good overall beer, especially if your a porter fan. Smokiness adds an interesting twist that's not overdone either.

Winter, Aug 22, 2003
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.