Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Smoked beer is a something that took some getting accostomed to, but I've enjoyed the past few I've tried. I don't think I liked this quite as much as O'Fallons Smoked Porter, but definitely one of the better smoked porters I've tried.

The beer pours to a nearly opaque black color with a thin off-white head. Leaves a decent lacing. Looks good.

Smells even better. For some reason that smokiness is hitting the spot. If only it weren't 1:30 AM and I hadn't just gotten off of work recently, I'd be eating some hand-smoked meat alongside this brew. Very robust. Nothing but malt and smoke in the nose... no hops, that is.

The taste only has a light bit of smoke, and the finish leaves a bit of an aftertaste like a campfire smells. I would think that sounds disgusting, however, I've grown very remniscient of that smell... oh, the wondrous parties I have thrown 'round the campfire down where the prairie meets the lake at my parents' acreage in the middle-of-nowhere Iowa when I was still in highschool and too young to drink, much less drink good beer (when I wasn't raiding my parents' beer stash, that is). This beer has a very mild campfire taste compared to other smoked porters I've had, however. There is still some chocolatey sweetness shining through, along with that musty-yet-delicious porter taste.

The mouthfeel is thin and smooth. The finish is quite wet and leaves some nice residual sugars which meld well with the smokiness. This is a good drinkable porter, but I think a single bomber is all I could ask for. Thanks for the memories, Stone.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

22oz bomber.
Pours a deep dark brown, looks almost black. The head is a nice size tan which will diminishes but covers the top of the brew and completely laces the glass with sticky foam.
The smell isl malty and of coffee or chocolate. I was trying to avoid the word smokey but I'll throw it in there anyway.
Taste is also rich malty with hints of coffee. Yet not all that bitter.
Mouthfeel is rich and smooth, thicker with a nice light carbonated feel.
Drinkability is high this is so smooth I could defiantly have another.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

With the upcoming change in the weather I've found myself revisiting some brews I haven't had in a long time. Definately wasn't in the mood for a porter all summer that I can remember, and I don't think I've had the Stone since my first days of beeradvocacy. Definately a great beer. Dark brown, but not opaque, with a hefty brown head on there. Nice and bubbly. Smell and taste are loaded with complex chocolaty coffee notes and a nice smoke character that really separates this beer from others in the style. Really nice. Definately much hoppier than I expected as well, with a really killer bitterness not usually found in porters. I really liked that part of the beer, and it gave it a nice dry mouthfeel, which is also strange for a porter. Definately something I'll be keeping warm with this fall and winter.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Pours deep brown with ruby highlights. Dark, but fairly clear. A tan, three finger head remains thick and creamy for a long time with plenty of sticky lacing. Burnt malt and coffee aromas, and background molasses. The coffee and burnt flavors have a strong presence in the taste, with very light hops hiding somewhere within. Aftertaste is slightly dry, with a touch of residual sweetness hanging on. Minimally carbonated with a full body producing exceptional smoothness. Rich and drinkable with a clean finish.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Black, with traces of mahogany around the edges and bottom of the glass; a chocolate milk like head, with a decent and invigorating nose of roasted malts, chocolate and dark roast coffee beans. Creamy, tenderly slick; coffee roast flavors are couples with some charcoal and burnt toast. The palate is rich and clean, with dark chocolate and just a touch of bitterness. A long, lingering and nice smoky feeling going on here. Very nice; an absolute stellar porter, to be expected from Stone.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Probably my least favorite offering by this great brewery. the appearance in my tumbler is impressive, but that's about where it stops. Not a bad brew by any stretch; just not a favor to my liking. The body seems too thin. The aroma is a pleasant burnt, cloyiness that is not very pungent. This is the second time I have had this and the taste didn't differ.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Very dark root beer color with an amber hue, minimal beige head that is slightly fizzy and no lacing, and difficult to see the carb action.

Moderate toasted caramel smell with molasses malt in the background and some coffee and chocolate notes. Some resin and citrus, definitely grapefruit, hops aroma.

Definitely a lightly sweet and moderately bitter roasted to burnt molasses malt with coffee and dark chocolate flavor. Has an almost grassy orange hops taste with some grapefruit.

Medium to full bodied body, dry and slightly syrupy texture, soft almost flat carbonation, and a smooth slightly metallic and lightly astringent finish.

One of the better Porters I've had in a bottle and definitely meets the title if one fancies this type.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a glass from a 22oz. bomber, this hefty brew is reddish brown with caramel maltiness all over it. The back label describes how it is not like other dark beers and is not a "bitter" style; but this Porter has just a hint of tart-bitterness on the finish. I've had only a few other "smoked" beers in my day and this one is probably the least smoky, which is good, because that makes it easy to finish the 22oz. Goes down very smooth and makes one wish that six packs did come in 22oz format. Ahh to dream...

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

wow! what can I say? this beer lives up to its name as it is pretty smoky in both senses of smell and taste. the look is reminiscent of a stout. the foamy head dissipates sooner rather than later, but that could depend on how cold/warm this porter is in room tempurature. in this case, I poured it into a frosted mug.

according to some, just the name porter gives a bitter aftertaste in mind. this is not the case at all. this exceptional porter actually is quite creamy smooth and sweet. it gives a full taste and goes down smoothly.

available in Bevarages & More.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

This brew pours dark brown..completely opaque of course...with a large head that dissapates down to ring around the edge of the glass. Dark roasted malt, chocolate, caramel notes. Sweeter than I expected. Some hops, and smokey as it should be. The alcohol is disguised completely, I could drink this for breakfast. The mouthfeel is slick and full. Overall a great porter, a tough comparison against Synebrychoff, which IMO is the best. But even still, very good. I will be drinking this again and again when in the mood for a porter.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

This one is black with a tall tan head that laces well.

The aroma is The aroma is malty, smoky and almost a bit of oak.

The flavor is smoky and malty, but also has a strong hop presence. It is much hopier than I was expecting but still a very good brew.

Mouth feel is medium to full bodied and mildly carbonated.

Pretty good, worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

22 oz. bottle. Pours black with a big tan head. Has a chocolate malt smell with an essence of smoke. Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. Taste is of chocolate malts with a very slight smoked quality. Finishes super smooth.
Not much smoked flavor here, I was expecting more than was found. Still a pretty decent porter.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Think dark brew, a bit of light can make it's way through, but very dark. Small nice tan colored head. Beautiful smells of bitter chocolates hits you first. The alcohol ties the bitter chocolate flavor well. Initial taste strong bitter chocolate finishes with some smokiness. A bit of fiz accompanies the flavors.

Note: this is one to take your time and savor.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

I enjoyed this offering from stone, but it was perhaps a little less rich and thick than I expected. Pours with a lovely head that stays throughout. Carries a nice roasted, slightly smoky flavor along with the mild hoppiness, but overall the smoked side of it is more underwhelming than it could have been. Still, another delicious offering from Stone that deserves to be sampled and re-sampled.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

This is the 2nd smoked porter I've ever had (O'Fallon's being the first) and I have to say that if they're all like those, I'm a definite fan of the style.

Pours a very thick brown color...almost comparable to their Imperial Stout, but slightly lighter. The head was definitely a little more foamy, which was pleasantly surprising.

The smell is that of coffee and a mild smoky scent. Certainly not as strong of a a smoke scent as the O'Fallon (which is almost like a BBQ), but it's certainly noticable.

Flavor is super-smooth. Smoky is a little less pronounced that I'd like, but it's still certainly there and it adds a lot of depth.

I split a 22oz bottle of this but I could've easily handled the entire bottle myself. The alcohol isn't too strong (less than 7%) and the flavor is amazing.

I wish the smoke was a little stronger, but otherwise an amazing brew. I think some of that comes down to my previous experience, so perhaps I'm a little biased.

3.65/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a very dark brown. The head is thick and creamy. It looks brown. It fades very slowly, leaving thick laces. When I hold it up to the light, it has a dark ruby red look to it. It smells smokey, but not not overly smokey. It also has a malty aroma. It has a solid coffee aroma present. The hop aroma is very apparant. It tastes more smokey than the aroma led me to believe. Coffee is also very noticable. It has a sweet caramel like taste to it also, but it is subtle. This beer leaves a smokey taste on the palate. It is slightly aggressive in flavor, I think due to the smoke. It is a little over carbonated. This beer would probably make a bad session beer because it is aggressive and the flavor would get old fast. This is a good beer to have, but not very often.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

I have to say that I just love Stone brewery. Everyhing about them from their bottles to their attitude to the way their beer tastes.
Besides all that, I do enjoy your dark stuff, although their Barley Wine is pretty good as is their IPA....anyway...

I was pleased as I poured out this beautifully dark porter into my 20oz. glass. As usual the bottle talks about being worthy and trying new things, so since I already love their other stuff, I figured this would be a good go.

The head came up nice, and dissapated after a few minutes.
The beer is dark, I'm talking black here. None of this Alaskan summer dark, I'm talking middle of the rain forrest, midnight and there's a panther out to get you dark.

Smelling the brew you can smell the hops that they use. Stone? Hops? No!! Ha.. Anyway. Yeah it's a hoppy brew, but all their stuff is, so that wasn't much of a surprise. Smells a little sweet too.

Obviously the first flavor that comes through it the smoke from the malt. It's pleasing and not overbrearing. It feels so good going down too. It's high in alcohol but not anything to worry about. It's thick and like velvet in your mouth. Slight carbonation helps bring out undertones of wood.

The aftertaste is quite smokey, but I suppose that's expected. I'm not a big one for the smoke flavor but this is a good brew. It's tasty, but I am glad that I split the 22 or I would have been on the floor with a smokey taste in my mouth. Not a good way to wake up :)

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Clear dark red amber color, with a moderate tan head, which retains well, excellent lacing.

Aroma: Deep toasted malt aroma, with prominent earth and smoke notes, sweet caramel, and quite understated hops.

Taste: Strong roasted malt at the open, caramel sweetness follows to midpoint of the taste. Later in the taste, an alcohol note appears, as well as bitter chocolate, smoke and earth flavors. The taste closes with a mild lingering bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth and dry, with soft carbonation, the body seemed thin for the style.

Drinkability/notes: Overall, quite excellent, would be very pleasing on a cold, dark, windy day.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours from 22oz bottle with generous head a decent proportion of which seems to be in for the long haul. This has a delightful peat colour.

The nose has a strong smoky smell. If I was generous I'd say chocolate malt is to the fore. If not I'd start moaning about coffee. As it is I'm sitting on the fence....so far.

And after tasting it I'm still sitting on the fence. Delightful creamy, chocolate malt start gives way to a coffee flavour with a hint of hoppy bitterness which renders it palatable. In case you hadn't guessed I'm not a big fan of the northwest's other liquid passion.

The carbonation is great, and coupled with the creaminess it makes for a great feel. I would be in love with this beer, but for my disagreement with most of the planet on the coffee thing.

Forms a tan head. Black color lightening to a very dark shade around the edges.

Smells smoky, but not overwhelmingly so, alot like a regular porter. Lots of dark malts. Hints of sweet dark sugars, coffee, chocolate. The smoke is well balanced with the other characteristics of the beer.

Carbonation is a little less than average. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but not bad.

Taste is of dark roasted malt with some hop bitterness. Hints of coffee and dark unsweet chocolate also present. Finishes with a lingering bitterness.

Pours a dark, opaque, black body with a creamy tan head, good retention. Smokey, lots of coffee and chocolate in the nose. Subtle smokey flavour, mostly just charcoal, coffee and chocolate. Not quite a rauchbier, but the smoked character is definitely there. Great balance, and actually a great session beer. Recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

( Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours a dense black body with a nice tan head that holds in the glass.

S-Very nice smoky grain aroma with some deep roasted barley smell and almost a chocolate hint with it.

T- This has a great roasted barley flavor with some good depth of malts and a nice spicy hop finish that has a hint of smokiness with it. The finish hops have hint of tangy almost pineapple resin flavor but it is very faint.

M-This has a pretty creamy mouthfeel but no alcohol heat or astringency.

D-This beer is a spot-on-porter very solid on its own but the nice gentle smoke shows its present. The smoke is not overpowering and really compliments the deep roasted grain. Next time I'm in the distributing area I must stock up.

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out like liquid black hole, impenetrably dark, with crimson highlights and a billowy tan head. Head retention is moderate with plenty of artisitic lacing.

The nose has bittersweet dark chocolate and espress notes mellowed by sweet campfire smoke. Well balanced nose with smoky nuances.

The flavor is roasty chocolate and coffee up front, with peated malt and beech-like smoke. Initially bittersweet, then mellowed by dark caramel and smoky highlights. Very balanced and smooth.

The body is mediumish, could use a little more. A full, smooth and creamy mouthfeel makes up for the lack of body. Slick and tongue coating. Makes me wish I had some good hardwood smoked ribs to go with this.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

I finally bought this on-line. It is not available in SA and I got frustrated reading and hearing so many good things about it.
The beer poured out a deep dark brown with a little ruby tint when held up to the light. A 1" tan head rolled away quickly and left little lacing. Beautiful beer.
The smell at first was all about the roasted malt. Some coffee and earth aromas were prevelant. When I let the beer warm up I began to get the smoky smell out of it, maybe smoked meat or a light bacon. Very nice!
The taste was love at first sip!!! This beer is outstanding. Wonderful roasted, earthy, coffee flavors followed by a NICE smooth chocolaty touch. The porter seems very lightly hopped to me, there is a nice bitter finish that hangs around for a long time.
The mouthfeel was incredible. Smooth and velvety, it don't get no better than this!!!
I would enjoy this on a very regular basis if it was available to me. This is a bad mofo!!! If you like Porters, you need to try this.

Tasty, smooth, smokey (toasted malts I suppose), with a signature hops bite that one has come to expect from the good people at Stone. Pours black with a tan head with those deep coffee chocolate toffee aromas. The chocolate coffee toffee endures in the taste. Fans of porters have little to complain about this here beer. It's solid stuff.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.