Join our email list →

Stone Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Porter | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,788 | Hads: 4,103
3.39/5  rDev -15.7%

Falls flat for me. Not a bad beer, but lacking in flavor. Pours a dark brown to black, ruby on the edges, with a small white head. Aroma is rather bland, with only slight evidence of roast or smoke, not much else to detect. Flavor continues with very little chocolate or coffee flavor, a bit watered down in flavor. Cant get much of the smoke here. Palate is thin for what I expected to be a bold porter and the great things I heard. Just okay for me, and wish this had a bit more flavor to it.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Jet black on the pour, huge off white head on top, impressive looking. The smell is rausch-like, clear smoked malty notes.

The flavour on this is lightly roasted, and chocolatey for a porter, with a vague smoky tone in the background. Not as much smoke as I was expecting, but all told it's a tasty porter, though without the smoke hint to add some zing it would not be above average.

The mouthfeel, decent. It's moderately full bodied. The drinkability, nothing particularly special. For a smoked beer it's easy to drink, but that's only because the smoke isn't overly aggressive here.

The bottom line: Don't buy one of these expecting Rausch Porter, because you'll be disappointed. Stone has crafted a fairly average porter, and then added a hint of smoke to it. The end result is drinkable, tasty, and probably would make a damn fine pairing with some BBQ ribs, but it's not going to blow you away.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my stone pint glass...

A- Poured almost black with a slight red hue coming through the
bottom, had about a 2 finger frothy tan head that dissipates to about half a head with nice lacing...

S-Very sweet malts with some chocolate and some espresso, a bit smokey as well but very subtle on any smoke, maybe some molasses as well

T-Very sweet malts up front very bitter and balanced, has nice chocolate and espresso notes as well a nice smokey roasted nutty plum finish, lingering syrup as well...

M-Medium body high carbonation, the smoked part comes out alot in the mouth nice and bitter with chocolate

O-Decent porter, not as smokey as I would have hoped for but
good and cheap...no super wow factor here just a good brew...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is smoky malts.Taste is smoked malts,coffee and some chocolate.A pretty decent beer with some decent flavor.A good beer that I most likely would try again although I would not actively seek out.I think you should try this at least once.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

I love Stone offerings as much as the next guy but the smoked porter did not do my tastebuds justice. It is a good beer but from Stone you expect incredible with a capital I. Pours a ruby dark color with a creamy head that grows to an astonishing level. The smell is of roasted malts and mocha roast, smokiness. Taste is where it fell off the charts, hint of mocha and cream but not as full bodies as I would have liked, lighter than expected. Feels light in the mouth, un appealing. Drinkable for a nice meal but not that dessert beer I hoped for that is a meal of its own.

3.36/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle comes painted directly on the glass, which has to be a considerable expense compared to laminate or paper labels. Unusual in that respect, I had high expectations somewhere in the realm of Samuel Smith products.

Bottle opened at 58F, served in a standard pint glass. Very dark, almost opaque, and not a lot of pour head at first but settles down to a decent remainder head level.

Smells malty chocolate. I double checked the label, it did say smoked porter.. hmm. Expecting a smoked porter but found no such aroma, was disappointed in that regard. Not much aroma hops.

Tastes as it smells: chocolate malty porter, not too sweet or heavy, hops are there but not heavy, and lacking much in the way of smoke. I will add that the taste of this beer IS good. If this were my creation, I would have got some feedback before choosing the name before painting the bottles. [grin]. Not much body hops, or if they are there they take a back seat to the chocolate finish. Well balanced. Tastes better as it gets warmer ~60 to 65F.

Mouthfeel is great for the style, a well bodied beer that is not as filling as it looks.

Drinkability is excellent despite the small negatives. This would be a good gateway beer for someone trying darker sweeter beers, or as a session beer.

Purchased 3 weeks prior to review from Wine Society, Nashua NH.

3.36/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Very dark brown with some chestnut hints on the edges.

S: A huge smoky smell along with some roasted malts.

T: Luckily, the flavors in this one go way beyond the smoky smell. Slight malty sweetness, then bitter dark chocolate and coffee flavors. On the finish, a hint of hops and dark fruit. Throughout the taste, a lot of smoke that almost tastes like smoked meat. It's almost like the smell that you get in your hair when you sleep too close to a campfire. It's not a bad beer, but probably my least favorite of the stone year-rounds. Probably not one I'll go near again any time soon.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from the pint bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance – Pours a deep brown almost black color with a slight amber hue to it. A decent sized head came from an aggressive pour, but left rather quickly. Pretty fair lacing.

Smell – Smokiness, roasted malts, a little caramel and chocolate. Pretty nice nose on this one.

Taste – The flavoring is good, follows the nose to a degree. The smokiness certainly imparts flavors to the brew, which in my opinion actually interfere with what is otherwise an excellent beer. A slight sweetness, not much at all, but the taste overall is more on the bitter side. I just didn’t like the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, medium well carbonation.

Overall – This is a good brew to some, but I am more of a fan of the traditional porters, so this one caught me off guard a little. This is a great beer to try once, and If you are a big fan of the smoked porters then it would be recommended, but otherwise, there are better out there. Certainly try it though, I'm just not real keen on the smoked flavoring.

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: A good bit of carbonation in this one. Black color. Three fingers of frothy/creamy light tan head. Retention is good and sparse irregular lacing is left.

3.5 S: I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of smoke in this. I expected something a bit more badass from Stone. Anyway, it still smells good. Chocolate with a moderate neutral malt sweetness. A touch of graininess. Smoke is subdued, but it does add a touch of bacon. If this was 10X stronger, it be damn good.

3.0 T: This is a well crafted brew, but it isn't very exciting. Subtle chocolate, subtle roast, and a subtler smoke. The strongest flavor is neutral malt sweetness.

4.0 M: Despite a medium body, this has a lot of creaminess. Good moderate carbonation. Very nice here.

3.5 D: Stone was one of my first loves, but ever since drinking the beers of hundreds of breweries, they don't seem too impressive anymore. Sometimes I wish I had an undeveloped palate again. In any case, this is a tasty, easy drinker.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Nice, sludgy motor oil look to it; decent head. Smoke scent is subdued; nothing overpowering here. The jerky-ish smoke is woven nicely throughout the malt, but again, the taste of malt and hops is a little subdued in this instance. Well-made stuff indeed, but not necessarily my thing.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Bottle: Poured a medium-black color porter with a medium size foamy head with average retention. Aroma of slightly bitter hops with some very subtle smoke in there. Taste is also slightly bitter with a very subtle touch of smoke. I was honestly expecting a more smoky character because of the name of the beer. Also, I was expecting a hoppier porter based on previous tasting of Stone beers. A bit of letdown really.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Poured from bomber a reddish black color with a 2 finger width tannish frothy head
S: Smells pretty earthy, you can also easily pick up on the smoky aroma.
T: Tastes smoky, like how stuff BBQ'd with mesquite charcoal. Slight bitter aftertaste. Also some dark chocolate flavors.
M: Medium to heavy bodied.
D: Smell was nice, however the taste didn't do much for me really. Never been a fan of dark chocolate and there were a lot of the same flavors in this beer as are in dark chocolate. I've had better porters, but overall not too bad, something different than the norm.

3.32/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bomber into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303. Side-by-side with the vanilla and Chipotle versions.

Opaue black but thin beer. .5 finger light cream head with poor retention. Spotty lace with no cling. Not much to this one.

Roasted malt, liquorice, smoke, and maybe some bitter chocolate. Some mild creaminess ties this one together. Average.

Opens liquorice, smoked malt, peat, chocolate, and some cocoa at the end. Bit of lactose tartness at the finish. Roasty aftertaste. Decent.

Light bodied with moderate to ample carbonation. Prickly and bubbly in the mouth and crisp going down. Accented finish with a slight lingering aftertaste. Refreshing though I'd prefer a bit smoother.

Solid. Overall a nice beer and one that I can see being a good base to add components to. This one's not gonna blow you away but its a good baseline of what a porter should be.

3.32/5  rDev -17.4%

Picked up a 22oz of this one for the big game to enjoy with a meal of bratwurst and sauerkraut. Poured very dark, close to black with a lightly tanned head. The unique smoke flavor doesn't seem to apparent immediately, but it is there if you hold for a moment. It's also in the after-taste. The smoke is strong but not overpowering, however, this is the only aspect I found original about this porter. Normal texture, tastes of coffee and fairly smooth. Otherwise seemed like a fairly standard, albeit, well made porter. This won't be a preference, I think.

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I thought this was a decent tasting beer and a good porter, but pretty marginal in its smoked component compared to other smoked porter's I've had (Alaskan) or rachbiers.

This beer poured a slightly thick black, with a pretty abundant off-white head. Aroma was pretty minimal, but offered up some nice chocolate malt (burned pizza crust) roastiness. Flavor was decently roasty, but not very smokey to my palate (although other folks I split the bottle with disagreed). Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

Not a bad beer, but I wasn't hugely impressed by it. Definitely recommended though.

3.29/5  rDev -18.2%

Sampled a bottle poured into a pint glass. Appearance is dark with thick, white head. The smell is very smokey with a hint of toffee and malt. The smoke is very dominant in the taste of this beer which is what you want in a smoked porter, however there seems to be a lack of balance. There is a slight estery taste, but it is very subtle and is gone almost as soon as the palate detects it. As the beer warms in the glass the toffee starts to become more pronounced. This beer is good, however I can think of many smoked porters I would reach for before I grab this again.

3.29/5  rDev -18.2%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

I had such high hopes for this beer. I love porter and I love smokey beers so how could this go wrong? Sadly, I was wrong.

The beer pours black with light tan head that is big, 3 fingers high with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is really light and doesn't bring forth nice smokiest that you would expect. The smoke is there just really light with a tad of chocolate.

The taste is really super light as well, you can barely get any smoke at all and just a light coffee taste.

Mouthfeel is solid nothing great, and this is just a bland beer that is not very drinkable.

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

mmm porters! There's a reason to old "Porter Belly" phenomenon. I snagged this 22oz bottle from Trader Joe's and supped with it (pork chops). The pour hinted at something exciting, as it showed near black with reddish edges & a small burnt beige head that quickly left, with off-white minimal lace. The aroma held an unexpected hop quality & minmal malts & smoke. The flavor likewise pushed hop bitterness at the sacrifice of smoked malts & chocolate-coffee elements that just reared their taste. By no means a bad pint, just a bit too hoppy for my porter wants.

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

I just could not get as excited over this one as most people are. While the thiock body and rich tastes found in most Stone beers was present, the smoke overwhelmed all other scents and flavors. I did detect some chocolate and coffe in the nose and palate, but again, I had to fight through too much smoke to get there.

I would enjoy this beer much more as just a Porter, that hasn't been smoked,

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Nearly opaque, with hints of molasses towards the top of the glass. This brew pours with a vigorous head that is quite persistent.

S: Dark chocolate, sourdough bread, and piney hops are present, but faint in this brew's faint bouquet.

T: Deliciously roasted barley combines with American grown hops to deliver an enjoyable experience. The roast and hops don't conflict as they typically do when paired together. I'm disappointed in the total absence of smoke.

M: The first thing you notice about this brew is its heavy carbonation. The thick mouthfeel and roasty aftertaste are quickly scrubbed from your palette by the bubbles.

D: This brew was delicious, but let me down on a couple of key points: there was little bouquet, no smoke, and way too much carbonation. A good beer, but not one of Stone's best works.

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a decent beer, I'm just not too crazy about it. First off the smell reminds me of a smoldering ash tray in a bar which turned me off at first. As the beer warmed up in the glass I enjoyed it a little more. It has a nice smoked nutty flavor with hints of chocolate taffy and mocha, but a little one dimensional. I'm not sure if I would buy this beer again, would like to find something a little richer and with more distinct flavors.

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%

Had this on tap at Cricket's in Lubbock.
The beer just didn't impress me. Stone always seems to be pushing the boundaries of taste and overall beer experience, but this thing seems pretty tame. It looked fine, dark with a small tan head. The smell was sweeter than I expected and I even had trouble finding any smoke in the nose. The same goes for the taste. Biscuity malts, no smoke, no carbonation, no balance. Not a special mouthfeel. Drinkable enough. If you like it.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Smoked Porter over a month ago for $5.09 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been wanting to try this beer, but I haven't seen it around in a long time so when i saw a couple bottles on the shelf I made sure to grab one to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, so it might be a little old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty standard for Stone with their typical gargoyle on it, it's not that bad looking. It poured a very dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a little bit of a ruby hue around the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of light mocha colored head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color is on par for the style and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts with some dark and roasted malts sticking out the most and there's some nice chocolate and coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of medium smokey aromas with some caramel and toffee like aromas that stick out much more than I would expect and there's a lighter hop aroma in the background. This beer has a decent aroma, but I wish the roasted malts and smokey aspects stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a roasted dark malts and chocolate like taste that quickly gives way to a lighter medium smokey flavor. Up next comes the caramel and toffee flavors that are lighter then they were in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that has a charred like flavor to it along with a lighter hop flavor with a slightly charred malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer but just like the aroma the roast and smoke didn't seem to stick out as much as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, thin, watery, fairly dry, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, it felt too thin and over carbonated for the style.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, there was nothing about the flavor or aroma that really kept me coming back for more, it wasn't as bold and as aggressive as I expect most beers from Stone to be, so to me it felt a little out of place. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling but the flavor didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think a glass would be enough for me, a whole bomber is a little too much for me and after one pour it started to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was very good and it's one of the best looking Porter that I've seen in a while. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was out of place for the style and it just didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy a fresh bottle just to see how different it is but as far as getting a beer just to enjoy and drink I don't think I would get this again, it just doesn't keep me coming back for more. I wouldn't really recommend this beer, it's not really smokey or porter like enough to recommend. All in all I thought this beer was a disappointment, I had high hopes for this one since stone rarely disappoints, but this one just fell flat and it didn't really highlight those porter and smokey flavors and aromas as well as I would like. Better luck next time guys, this beer just didn't do it for me, but I would still like to try the chipotle version of it.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Fairly light bodied porter. Lightly smoked flavor with little other distinctive character. Not the best, but one of the more drinkable smokers on a quantity basis.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

As Stone is as of yet unavailable in my state (NC), I must continue to seek it out when visiting friends abroad (VA). As this particular offering I found to be averagish-good, I'm not sorely lamenting its absence at my LBS...yet it was still worth trying to be sure.

Appearance: Coca-cola, pure and simple

Aroma: Weak smoke permeates all else.

Taste: Smoky porter! An American take on an English style mixed with Rauchbier.

Overall, it's a one-trick pony, not especially smoky (but then again I love Rauchbier). I kinda dig it -- one caveat, though, if you're not into the smoky beer thing, don't bother with this one!

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.