Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

seanmugs, Jun 03, 2012

GetTheYayo, Sep 17, 2012

jordanimal, Sep 24, 2014

saburky, Jan 27, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -19%

It poured into the glass the color of of coffee with a thick light tan head. I was expecting a bit more of a smell. I guess seeing that it's a smoked porter I was expecting a campfire or jerky aroma. I didn't really pick up any of that at all. The taste didn't hit me as smokey either. Just kind of an average to decent porter. I couldn't really detect chocolate, licorice, coffee, smoke, or any of that other crap the bottle had promised. Just a decent dark beer with a minute bitter aftertaste and low carbonation. Maybe it was sitting on the store shelf for a while or something. I've had a smoked bock before that reeked of smoke flavor in the past. I figured this beer would be similar. It wasn't even close.

berserker256, Aug 13, 2007

HugeBulge, Oct 05, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Smoked Porter over a month ago for $5.09 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been wanting to try this beer, but I haven't seen it around in a long time so when i saw a couple bottles on the shelf I made sure to grab one to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, so it might be a little old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty standard for Stone with their typical gargoyle on it, it's not that bad looking. It poured a very dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a little bit of a ruby hue around the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of light mocha colored head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color is on par for the style and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts with some dark and roasted malts sticking out the most and there's some nice chocolate and coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of medium smokey aromas with some caramel and toffee like aromas that stick out much more than I would expect and there's a lighter hop aroma in the background. This beer has a decent aroma, but I wish the roasted malts and smokey aspects stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a roasted dark malts and chocolate like taste that quickly gives way to a lighter medium smokey flavor. Up next comes the caramel and toffee flavors that are lighter then they were in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that has a charred like flavor to it along with a lighter hop flavor with a slightly charred malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer but just like the aroma the roast and smoke didn't seem to stick out as much as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, thin, watery, fairly dry, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, it felt too thin and over carbonated for the style.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, there was nothing about the flavor or aroma that really kept me coming back for more, it wasn't as bold and as aggressive as I expect most beers from Stone to be, so to me it felt a little out of place. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling but the flavor didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think a glass would be enough for me, a whole bomber is a little too much for me and after one pour it started to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was very good and it's one of the best looking Porter that I've seen in a while. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was out of place for the style and it just didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy a fresh bottle just to see how different it is but as far as getting a beer just to enjoy and drink I don't think I would get this again, it just doesn't keep me coming back for more. I wouldn't really recommend this beer, it's not really smokey or porter like enough to recommend. All in all I thought this beer was a disappointment, I had high hopes for this one since stone rarely disappoints, but this one just fell flat and it didn't really highlight those porter and smokey flavors and aromas as well as I would like. Better luck next time guys, this beer just didn't do it for me, but I would still like to try the chipotle version of it.

StoutHunter, Sep 14, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

The Smoked Porter poured a dark black with a semi-creamy tan head that dissipated rather quickly. Suprisingly, there was not much of an aroma to this beer just a slight malt smell. I wasn't very impressed with the taste either. It had a very bitter, hoppy finish for a porter. As it warmed a roasted malty start became more pronounced. I was expecting a lot from this beer and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it was nowhere near what I though it would be. I didn't notice any smokiness in the nose or taste either.

Beaver13, Dec 25, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Served in a chilled tulip glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Pours out a nice, jet-black color so indicative of porters and stouts. Creamy and small head. Somewhat translucent and not thick, inky black.

-Smell 3.5: Smells very much like a porter, but has a subdued bouquet. Strange, for a "smoked" beer, I do not smell much smokiness.

-Taste 3.00: Front is slightly sour which leads to the middle which is very nice: toasted grains, but the grains in question still maintain a certain "grassiness" that is indicative of lighter beers. I also get a huge hit of that evil bleu cheese hop that I despise. Nasty. Finish is all hops and smoke and is pleasing. I definitely taste the high alpha Columbus hops here, swirling in the background, fighting against the bleu cheese. Aftertaste is long and dry and smoky. Mixed bag.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Good mouthfeel. Smooth and silky. Spot on for this style.

-Overall 3.25: This is a good drinking beer, but I imagine it would overpower any food you consume with it. My opinion is that this is an okay beer as far as taste goes, but that Stone needs to upgrade several elements of this beer. Room for improvement in several areas. Like getting rid of the bleu cheese hop.

BeerDocT, Sep 02, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

The appearance was dissapointing to me. It was a deep deep mahogony that one could see through. The head was tan but small. It quickly dissapted leaving a small lace and a very thin layer of bubbles in the pattern of leapord spots. That was cool.

The smell was of roasted malts, very stout like.

The taste was very good. Not what I am used to in a porter. It was sweet but had a smoked taste, hence the style. A little bit of hops were present in the taste but they were in the background.

The mouthfeel left something to be desired. It was a little thin, the carbonation help make the mouthfeel more complex.

The drinkability in this beer is low. The taste was pretty powerful and I myself would not want much more of this. A decent beer but one is enough.

Ellbert, Jan 10, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Had this beer sitting around for a month now figured It was a nice pairing with a Turkey Chili. Poured into my Sam Smith pint glass.

Appearance-Very dark brown with a few hints of red. Alot more carbonation than I thought, a pretty big 3 inch light brown head.

Smell-Upon first whiff got some dark chocolate. Definitely some dark fruits in there as well, as it warms you can get some hops, now I think I'm ready to give it a try.

Taste-The smoke definitely comes out in the first sip. With a slighty hoppy finish. About 30 seconds after the finish a smokiness is still resting on my tongue. Coffee and chocolate are present. Towards the end a real awkward numbess was on my tongue.

Mouthfeel-Very light and smooth. Alot of carbonation.

Overall-This is one of those Stone offerings I always walk by but never purchase. I think It may continue to stay that way. There were some things I liked, but some I didn't.

SWMeyer4141, Apr 19, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Fairly light bodied porter. Lightly smoked flavor with little other distinctive character. Not the best, but one of the more drinkable smokers on a quantity basis.

beernut7, May 09, 2002
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a very dark brown with a nice cocoa-like head. A sweet smelling beer that tends to be too sweet, and a bit of roastiness that is expected in this type of beer. I didn't detect much smokiness, which I was looking forward to. There was also a lack of smoke in the flavor as well. Some light bitterness and roasted malt was present. Mouthfeel was medium, but not much. I could maybe settle for 12 ounces instead of 22. The bomber was a bit much. I was disappointed by the lack of smoke flavor and the sweetness. But all in all, it is still a good beer in smaller doses. Probably my least favorite from Stone.

jhammerly, Apr 16, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date, but there is a gargoyle.

A: Very drak brown with clumpy tan 2 finger head and plenty of lace.

S: Very underwhelming with only woody, mesquite charcoal odors being very easy to detect. Maybe a little sweetness, but pretty small-scale.

T: The charcoal and smoked flavors are the dominate ones in this brew with some faint coffee and bitter chocolate flavors present but playing a minor role. The smoky flavor grows as the beer warms.

M: Inconsistent as it seems thin at times and more full-bodied at other times, with more body coming through with time. Aftertaste is short and smoke-dominated.

D: The lighter body lends itself to better drinkability, but the utter domination of the smoked flavors grow tiresome by the end of this bomber. Not terrible, but not a beer I'll return to very often.

argock, Mar 17, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Jet black with creamy mocha head. Plenty of lacing left behind.

Aroma was bitter coffee. Bit of earthy hops. Not much smoke presence.

Taste was that of a solid porter with just a hint of smoke. I was surprised by the subdued nature of the smoke. Usually Stone is pushing some limits. I found this to be a surprisingly low-key beer. Well, brewed, decent flavors, but subdued.

Mouthfeel was good. More ale like than stout like, making this a fairly easy to drink beer. It just wasn't a beer I was excited to drink.

mklinger, Oct 02, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass...

APPEARANCE

Textbook porter - very dark with minimal light coming through. It had a nice 2-finger khaki colored head.

SMELL

There was a good amount of chocolate in the nose, as well as some graininess. Had a nice malty/roasty smell

TASTE

At first, it tasted like smoked Guinness - very muted flavors. After awhile, they started to come out more... Smokiness was very apparent. There was a good amount of bittersweet chocolate. The hops came out after a few sips, adding a nice little bit of citrus to the flavor. None of the flavors were very strong, other than the smokiness.

MOUTHFEEL

It was fairly light, and pretty dry. It had plenty of carbonation but wasn't fizzy. It would have been a lot more drinkable had it not been for the dryness paired with the smokiness - that being said, it's not hard to drink in the least bit.

OVERALL

I was somewhat disappointed with this beer. It's definitely a good beer and had a lot of flavor, but it was just kind of average. Nothing really stood out as being spectacular in this beer. I would definitely drink it again, but there's a lot of other porters I would have before this one.

MaxSpang, Apr 28, 2011
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.