Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours from the bomber a nice medium black color, with some decent light brown foam on top. Aromas of smoke, roasted malt and dark chocolate. Some dark fruits on the palate, maybe cherries, figs and plums, along with the ever present smoke. Solid, but not my favorite.

emmasdad, May 26, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

I always feel like Flavor Flav whenever I review a beer from Stone, as I continually want to shout, "Don't believe the hype!" Now, mind you, I'm not opposed to Stone and the things they brew, I'm just not a card-carrying member of the "Stone = Great Beer" club. I'm a Doubting Knuckles, or some damn thing. What I continually find is that they brew some very decent beers, but try as I might, I just don't love them (although I will admit to liking the RIS, and want to cellar a bottle at some point). The Smoked Porter is yet another one of those beers that I wanted to like, but ultimately found lacking.

It suffers greatly, in my opinion, from the fact that most beer drinkers are going to compare it to the Alaskan Smoked Porter. And if they do, they will be sorely disappointed. This beer is a much more traditional porter in terms of color, ABV, and flavor profile than the AK.

Appearance: Held up to the light, this beer is a gorgeous, deep ruby (note to self: come up with a different color than 'ruby'. You use it to goddam much.), and pours with the always popular espresso creme head. I get about three fingers of foam, that linger for about ten minutes or so, and then slowly fade away. My only real complaint with the beer is that it is filtered. Don't axe me why, but I do love the look of an unfiltered porter. It makes me feel so Victorian.

Smell: The nose is actually the only place I get any hint of smoke, and it is very, very pleasant. Starts off with a deep, malty nose, and then finishes up smoky. Very nice.

Taste: As a smoked porter (and actually, as a porter), this one really drops the ball in my opinion. I was actually a little surprised by it, as it was a fairly one-note beer. The peat smoke that is supposed to be prominent was almost non-existent in this bottle, and contrary to it's 5.9% ABV, it had an incredibly malty palate. Once it warmed up it got a little smokier, but not nearly enough for me.

Mouthfeel: Again, somewhat in contrast to the maltiness of the beer itself, it was rather thin in mouthfeel. I wanted it to be a little richer in texture to balance out the flavors, and it just wasn't.

Drinkability: Honest, I really want to find a Stone beer that I like so I can write really nice things about it, if only to give the impression that I'm not a blanket Stone hata. But the sad truth is (so far, anyway), that for my palate, their beers lack balance. That lack of balance seriously affects the drinkability in my opinion, and this beer is no exception to that rule. It is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but not one that I will probably seek out again.

Knuckles, Apr 11, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the pint bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance – Pours a deep brown almost black color with a slight amber hue to it. A decent sized head came from an aggressive pour, but left rather quickly. Pretty fair lacing.

Smell – Smokiness, roasted malts, a little caramel and chocolate. Pretty nice nose on this one.

Taste – The flavoring is good, follows the nose to a degree. The smokiness certainly imparts flavors to the brew, which in my opinion actually interfere with what is otherwise an excellent beer. A slight sweetness, not much at all, but the taste overall is more on the bitter side. I just didn’t like the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, medium well carbonation.

Overall – This is a good brew to some, but I am more of a fan of the traditional porters, so this one caught me off guard a little. This is a great beer to try once, and If you are a big fan of the smoked porters then it would be recommended, but otherwise, there are better out there. Certainly try it though, I'm just not real keen on the smoked flavoring.

TheCondor, Mar 13, 2012

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: A good bit of carbonation in this one. Black color. Three fingers of frothy/creamy light tan head. Retention is good and sparse irregular lacing is left.

3.5 S: I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of smoke in this. I expected something a bit more badass from Stone. Anyway, it still smells good. Chocolate with a moderate neutral malt sweetness. A touch of graininess. Smoke is subdued, but it does add a touch of bacon. If this was 10X stronger, it be damn good.

3.0 T: This is a well crafted brew, but it isn't very exciting. Subtle chocolate, subtle roast, and a subtler smoke. The strongest flavor is neutral malt sweetness.

4.0 M: Despite a medium body, this has a lot of creaminess. Good moderate carbonation. Very nice here.

3.5 D: Stone was one of my first loves, but ever since drinking the beers of hundreds of breweries, they don't seem too impressive anymore. Sometimes I wish I had an undeveloped palate again. In any case, this is a tasty, easy drinker.

DavoleBomb, Jan 25, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -17%

I love Stone offerings as much as the next guy but the smoked porter did not do my tastebuds justice. It is a good beer but from Stone you expect incredible with a capital I. Pours a ruby dark color with a creamy head that grows to an astonishing level. The smell is of roasted malts and mocha roast, smokiness. Taste is where it fell off the charts, hint of mocha and cream but not as full bodies as I would have liked, lighter than expected. Feels light in the mouth, un appealing. Drinkable for a nice meal but not that dessert beer I hoped for that is a meal of its own.

beertaster13, May 30, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -17%

Picked up a 22oz of this one for the big game to enjoy with a meal of bratwurst and sauerkraut. Poured very dark, close to black with a lightly tanned head. The unique smoke flavor doesn't seem to apparent immediately, but it is there if you hold for a moment. It's also in the after-taste. The smoke is strong but not overpowering, however, this is the only aspect I found original about this porter. Normal texture, tastes of coffee and fairly smooth. Otherwise seemed like a fairly standard, albeit, well made porter. This won't be a preference, I think.

pants678, Feb 02, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -17%

A: Nearly opaque, with hints of molasses towards the top of the glass. This brew pours with a vigorous head that is quite persistent.

S: Dark chocolate, sourdough bread, and piney hops are present, but faint in this brew's faint bouquet.

T: Deliciously roasted barley combines with American grown hops to deliver an enjoyable experience. The roast and hops don't conflict as they typically do when paired together. I'm disappointed in the total absence of smoke.

M: The first thing you notice about this brew is its heavy carbonation. The thick mouthfeel and roasty aftertaste are quickly scrubbed from your palette by the bubbles.

D: This brew was delicious, but let me down on a couple of key points: there was little bouquet, no smoke, and way too much carbonation. A good beer, but not one of Stone's best works.

Avagadro, Nov 16, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -17%

Smoke is an odd smell in beers. They come off as a strong sour note at the top without much sweetness. Clear alcohol notes are in there. The roasted malt is there at the finish, Perhaps a touch of liquorish with a hint of coffee in the nose. I want to say vanilla and chocolate but I don't think those are in there. I'm mostly picking up the alcohol, smoke, liquorish, and some coffee.

Pours brown, turns black in the glass, with good head, great retention, and just enough body. Impressive to say the least.

Beers like this make me wish I knew more from those taste wheels. The malt isn't sweet or sour, the flavor hits the front of the tongue which indicates not sour, but the smoke is clearly a very unique flavor for the malt. Clear notes of chocolate (very much on the dark bitter bakers chocolate side, even more than most), coffee. There isn't any sweet notes in this beer. I think it would be amazing with sweeter foods, but I have nothing like that to try with it. I can vouch form past experience that this stuff is just amazing with roast chicken and BBQ. A rare thing with beer is that imo this is far better with food than by itself. I highly recommend pairing this with food.

Great carbonation gives this beer a lot of drink ability and a creamy mouth feel. That said it's a touch to thin all things considered.

I think stone for this very "unstone like" beer. It's a very different porter and a truly interesting experience. Scored as an alone drink and not as something to pair with food. Scores would go up in taste to with the right pairing. By itself this is very interesting but doesn't rank that highly.

bobhits, Dec 06, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

I just could not get as excited over this one as most people are. While the thiock body and rich tastes found in most Stone beers was present, the smoke overwhelmed all other scents and flavors. I did detect some chocolate and coffe in the nose and palate, but again, I had to fight through too much smoke to get there.

I would enjoy this beer much more as just a Porter, that hasn't been smoked,

kimcgolf, May 21, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

I thought this was a decent tasting beer and a good porter, but pretty marginal in its smoked component compared to other smoked porter's I've had (Alaskan) or rachbiers.

This beer poured a slightly thick black, with a pretty abundant off-white head. Aroma was pretty minimal, but offered up some nice chocolate malt (burned pizza crust) roastiness. Flavor was decently roasty, but not very smokey to my palate (although other folks I split the bottle with disagreed). Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

Not a bad beer, but I wasn't hugely impressed by it. Definitely recommended though.

BeerBelcher, Nov 04, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

I had such high hopes for this beer. I love porter and I love smokey beers so how could this go wrong? Sadly, I was wrong.

The beer pours black with light tan head that is big, 3 fingers high with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is really light and doesn't bring forth nice smokiest that you would expect. The smoke is there just really light with a tad of chocolate.

The taste is really super light as well, you can barely get any smoke at all and just a light coffee taste.

Mouthfeel is solid nothing great, and this is just a bland beer that is not very drinkable.

jrallen34, Nov 01, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

mmm porters! There's a reason to old "Porter Belly" phenomenon. I snagged this 22oz bottle from Trader Joe's and supped with it (pork chops). The pour hinted at something exciting, as it showed near black with reddish edges & a small burnt beige head that quickly left, with off-white minimal lace. The aroma held an unexpected hop quality & minmal malts & smoke. The flavor likewise pushed hop bitterness at the sacrifice of smoked malts & chocolate-coffee elements that just reared their taste. By no means a bad pint, just a bit too hoppy for my porter wants.

selecter70, Jan 28, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Poured from bomber a reddish black color with a 2 finger width tannish frothy head
S: Smells pretty earthy, you can also easily pick up on the smoky aroma.
T: Tastes smoky, like how stuff BBQ'd with mesquite charcoal. Slight bitter aftertaste. Also some dark chocolate flavors.
M: Medium to heavy bodied.
D: Smell was nice, however the taste didn't do much for me really. Never been a fan of dark chocolate and there were a lot of the same flavors in this beer as are in dark chocolate. I've had better porters, but overall not too bad, something different than the norm.

loren01, May 25, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a decent beer, I'm just not too crazy about it. First off the smell reminds me of a smoldering ash tray in a bar which turned me off at first. As the beer warmed up in the glass I enjoyed it a little more. It has a nice smoked nutty flavor with hints of chocolate taffy and mocha, but a little one dimensional. I'm not sure if I would buy this beer again, would like to find something a little richer and with more distinct flavors.

johnnymauler, Sep 05, 2013

big2112, Oct 25, 2013

ShawneeIrish, Apr 05, 2013

sjones5045, Aug 10, 2014

R3ason, Nov 21, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -19%

Sampled a bottle poured into a pint glass. Appearance is dark with thick, white head. The smell is very smokey with a hint of toffee and malt. The smoke is very dominant in the taste of this beer which is what you want in a smoked porter, however there seems to be a lack of balance. There is a slight estery taste, but it is very subtle and is gone almost as soon as the palate detects it. As the beer warms in the glass the toffee starts to become more pronounced. This beer is good, however I can think of many smoked porters I would reach for before I grab this again.

osusullins, Oct 29, 2011

clay_i, Jun 21, 2012

DownInToMyBelly, Dec 28, 2013

TheWillMitch, Aug 02, 2014

IdrinkGas, Jul 03, 2012

ScaryEd, Nov 10, 2012

warpedrevolution, Aug 12, 2013
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.