Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,770 | Hads: 4,001
4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown nearly black with a small to middling tan head. Intense smoky aroma hits the nostrils like a freight train and clears those sinuses straight out. Taste is primarily coffee with the smoky flavors coming through on the back end. This beer is not messing around. (276 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%

Well, this wonderful beer was on sale at my local Binny's unbeknown to me, so I told the cashier to wait while I grabbed another delicious bottle. I'm watching UFC Unleashed as I write this review and sip on this awesome beer.

The look is very nice, deep dark brown against the glass and slightly black in the center but still not as dark as I thought it would be, but still very nice. The head is very minimal but expected. The smell is very good. Dark chocolate, licorice, caramel, and dates fill my cognac glass. It's a wonderful smell because it doesn't tire the nose and it definitely doesn't get old. The taste is very good, dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee are big on the buds. The caramel and licorice play lesser roles in the taste but still provide some of the character of the porter. You get a little hoppy aftertaste, but it's minimal. Overall, I think I just fell in love.

This is a heavy bodied brew but still quite surprisingly pretty high on drinkability. I would definitely recommend this porter to anyone who enjoys great dark beers, or great beer for that matter. Enjoy! (1,102 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

This is a great beer. I hadn't had it in a long time, but decided to have a short affair with it tonight. Poured out of the bottle a deep chocolate color, erring on the side of a reddish, black appearance. It foamed up with a beautiful tan head that lingered around .5-1 inch for half of the quaff. The smell reminded me of fresh caramel followed by a hint of smokiness. The taste was definitely smoky with a taste of bitterness reminiscent of dark chocolate. This bitter sweet character was carried through to the end of the swallow which left the palate with a pleasant, bittersweet aftertaste that makes a man not want to brush at night. The drinkability is good, but after more than one of these, you may find yourself searching for something that doesn't make chest hair grow quite as fast. (795 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a blackish-brown with a thin, but persistent head that stuck around for most of the glass. Smell was fainter than expected, but held nice dark roasted malts and a hint of smoke. Taste was excellent - intense roasted malt, smoke, and hop flavors held in perfect balance. Mouthfeel was very pleasant and creamy.

I found this to be exceptionally drinkable, with a deliciously balanced flavor balanced perfectly with the smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

A near-perfect offering from Stone in my book. (498 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

I drank this beer at a brew pub in Easton, Pa called Which Brew. Since porters are what I drink, this beer was right up my alley. I never had this beer before and I must say the taste to me is very inviting, it was smooth to start with a slight bite at the finish. I enjoyed this beer with dessert and went very well with chocolate drizzled cheesecake. I liked the beer so much that I went and purchased it at my local beer distributor. It came in a case of 12- 22 0z. bottles which will last me one long weekend. The 22 0z. bottles is a lot of beer but the beer is so smooth it makes it easy to drink. I also recommend having this beer with a nice T-bone steak and some chocolate fondue for dessert. (700 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep, dark coffee brown color with a nice 1 finger head that slowly fades into some nice lace. Smell is very smoky (which should be expected). There is also some noticeable amount of chocolate and coffee as well. The taste is awesome - smoke, dark chocolate, and a nice dry black licorice-y finish. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a nice carbonated bite. Wow, this is easy to drink. The flavors are strong, but they meld together so well. This is an excellent porter. Highest recommendation. (527 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.6%

Full disclosure: this beer is on my top-10 list. Found it in a bomber, and poured into a Pilsner-style glass (not a pint glass...sue me).

Appearance: dark brown, kinda ruby around the edges. When I hold it up to the light, I can peek through it without a problem. Since I've got a smaller glass, I poured it two ways: first, an easy pour down the side of the glass yielded a nice 2-finger head that faded down to a thin layer that left a pretty good lacing. A full-on pour yielded more head (3-finger this time), but not as much of a difference as I expected (although it has gotten to sit out and/or warm a bit since that first pour). Regardless, this beer looks good.

Smell: definitely can find the smokiness here, joined by coffee and caramel. I really like the smell on this one.

Taste: I did mention that this is number 3 on my personal top-10 list, right? Definitely a porter: lots of chocolate malts, some caramel in there as well. I'm not noticing much in the way of hops, which is OK with me (much more partial to straight-up maltiness). The smoked part comes in after to hit you, and the aftertaste fairly reeks (in a good way) of smoked malts. I really do love this beer.

Mouthfeel: not too heavy nor too light. Perfect for a porter on this one; I just don't like giving out 5's if I can help it!

Drinkability: good thing this beer's got a low ABV, as I could see myself drinking a lot of it for a very long time. It says it goes well with barbecued meats (and it without a doubt does), but it's an outstanding accompaniment to this lamb stew and couscous I made.

Overall, an extremely awesome brew, and one I'd highly recommend! (1,646 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours deep brown with a nice light beige head that dissipates to a retentive ring. The aroma is very nice, smoky peat, dark roasted malts, nutshells, and cocoa powder. Medium bodied with average carbonation. This beer has nicely balanced flavors of smoke, dark chocolate, tobacco, and coffee. Just enough bitterness to keep this in balanced, with average attenuation. Finish has a slight milky flavor. (401 characters)

Stone Smoked Porter

A pours a almost black with dark red when held to light. Loose rocky mocha colored head.

S Chocolate, coffee and cream, Very faint smokeyness.

T follows the nose very well. Dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Hops are kept down, and a very faint smokiness.

M medium mouthfeel, and medium carbonation that brings out flavors well.

O sweeter than expected, with less smoke than expected. But excellent none the less. Very decadent, great by itself, or for dessert. Buy again. (499 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.6%

This is my first taste of a smoked beer. I decided to try this based on favorable reviews at Beer Advocate.
This is a good looking beer, one that would invite onlookers to try some.
It looks like dark walnut wood work with a tan head.
The smell is a gorgeous mingling of roasted malt and alcohol.
I love the flavor, the smoky malt is offset by just enough hops to make their presense known.
The mouthfeel is so good, this beer would still be enjoyable if I had a bad cold.
Overall, this beer is a winner with me and I would reserve it for special occasions as a novel treat. (574 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a bomber. Pours a nice deep reddish/black color. Solid head that quickly thins out. Solid lacing. Smell is of light smoke and malts. Taste is very very enjoyable. Roasted malts stick out, along with a mild smoke sensation. I was suprised with this Porter. I really enjoy what Stone has to offer, and this just adds to the list of my likes! (351 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +15.3%

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black, under a big brown head. Very nice retention and lace. A+ appearance.

S: Smells of chocolate and a little bit of smoke at first. Sweet malt comes in afterwards. Roasted malt aromas come around too. Smoke is bit charcoal like.

T: A very subtle smokiness with sweet malts tones a decent amount of hop bitterness. Smokiness becomes much more noticeable after a few drinks. Slight hint of chocolate in the finish as well. A little bit of coffee and cream sneak in as well.

M/D: Body is full, carbonation a touch high, little bit of a velvety touch. Can be slightly thin at times. Really nice drinkability. I pretty much pounded my first glass without thinking about it. (719 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

I have become a believer in porters - or, I've been lucky with the porters that I have decided to try. This is a beautifully dark porter, almost a chocolate brown. It pours wonderfully with a nice head to it. The smokey flavoring is incredible, not a flavor that I have tasted in previous porters and the perfect compliment to the taste that is a porter. It leaves you wanting more.
Now, if only I could find a place that carries it around here! (446 characters)

September 25, 2012.

Rauchbier (lit., "smoke-beer") is a style that has yet to enjoy widespread popularity among craft beer drinkers in the United States, whence yours truly writes this review. In some ways, this is not surprising he American craft beer industry and its consumer base favor hop-driven styles such as India Pale Ale. But in other ways the scarcity of smoked porters on the American beer market is surprising, for if the stylistic innovations of American breweries is any indication of the American drinking public's palate, American craft beer drinkers have grown increasingly interested in more complex and aggressive flavor profiles. Consider this along with Americans' love of barbecue and other kinds of grill-roasted meats (e.g., the hamburger), and it becomes difficult to imagine why smoked beers have yet to emerge as a popular genre in the world of craft and artisan beers.

When held against light, a deep redness shines through the dense black body of Stone Smoked Porter. A moderate pour produces a tall, cappuccino head.

The smokey aspect of this beer influences but does not overwhelm the nose. Two or three deep inhalations pick up on the expected aromas of smoked and roasted, almost charred grains. There must be something else there, but I cannot tell what it is...

The taste of this beer develops and changes as it warms and as the palate grows accustomed to it. At first, a nice mix of sweet, rich charred grains and light smoke are at the fore. The flavor of smoke lingers just enough at the back of the tongue to allow the roasted malts to come through. As the beer warms, the bitterness of the hops and alcohol, at first barely detectable, begins to assert itself, producing hints of similarly bitter flavors. Licorice and dark chocolate stand out among them.

The key to a successful smoked beer is balance. Too much smokey flavor and one is left feeling as if one were standing too close to a fire pit. Too little and one begins to suspect that one is confusing smokey characteristics with roasted malts. Stone has managed to produced a fine balance of the two.

The beer's mouthfeel is nearly perfect at first: Delicate carbonation produces a thick, creamy foam that enhances the rich roasted characteristics of the smoked malt. But the carbonation fails to survive subsequent drafts and swirls, and the last few sips fall flat.

I cannot say how Stone Smoked Porter compares with the rauchbier of Bamberg, but I can say that it strikes me as a mature, well-designed, balanced rendition of this yet under-appreciated genre. This beer is likely to please porter drinkers and barbecue aficionados alike.

Note: This beer pairs very well with dark chocolate and roasted almonds. Allow a piece of dark chocolate to coat your palate before sipping; the interplay between the chocolate and the beer's smokey malt won't disappoint. (2,868 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

22 ounce browm bomber bottle poured into a 20 ounce nonic pint glass.

A - An opaque black in the glasss that shines a little bit of brown when held right in front of a lamp. A very big, very thick off white head formed by a hard pour sits on top. Head clings to the glass and leaves nice lacing.

S - Smoky ont he nose at first with some chocolate underneath the roasty smells.

T - Very smoky on the first sip. In fact a HUGE smokiness, reminds me of the smell of a charcoal grill, or even a plank heated on the grill for barbecueing. Some malty flavors, like a chocolatey caramel kick but all have a great smoked taste to them. Even has just the right touch of piney hop bitterness. Lots of complexity here and done just right.

M - A nice feel in the mouth though a tiny bit light for this much flavor. Still pretty nice overall.

D - The smokiness and sheer complexity of all the flavors melding in this one makes you want more. Would also pair with many types of food, be it smoky grilled meats all the way to sweet deserts. Also great to sit and drink by itself after a long day. (1,096 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

I must admit, after drinking an Arogant Bastard Ale more than a few times, I was a bit skeptical about anything that came froma North San Diego Brewery. They all seem to have a very strong hoppy flaver with a lot of bite.
I generally go for the darker more "heady" brews. I generally fall in love with about any beer that laces the glass.
I cracked the lid and took a whiff. Damn it smelled good. I poured it into a tall Pyramid Hefeweizen Ale glass and marveled at how rich and dark it was.
Upon taking a whiff, I was amazed at the nutty , oaky, chocolately flavour. No hoppy/bitter bite. Its somewhat comperable to a nice belgian ale.
It pours smoothly. It has a nice thich head. And it is dark, not like the quadruple filtered watery beer we so often see at the supermarktet.

I would definately drink and recommend this beer to others. Sit back, relax, crack on open. I suggest that you drink it just above room temp.. I promise, there should be no naysayers on this one. Thanks for the time. Ciao (1,002 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

The beast stares at me from the depths of hell. It entices me with a devilish aura of pure black, calling me... calling me... calling me....
I carefully opened the bottle. No djinn issue forth. No gargoyles. Just a deathly black liquid that oozed into my goblet. Up from the stygian abyss arose a tan cream which frothed and bubbled
incessantly, screaming into my conciousne...

Awww geezus, this sort of discourse happens every time I drink a stone brew.
I have to stop that.

The aroma is very rich, comparative to a cheesecake. There is a whif of smoke and very little hop aroma. Some roasted malts similar to coffee hits me.

The taste is very full and complex. Lots of roasty and smoked malts with some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is the best. This is such a heavy brew and not for the faint of heart. I love it. (830 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours near black in color with traces of very dark copper hues near the bottom where light eeks through. Tan head leaves traces of itself in thick sheets down the side of the glass. Sweet aroma consists of chocolate, coffee, rich malt and a touch of charred wood. Full-bodied, yet smooth mouthfeel. Flavors of sweet malt and chocolate introduce themselves up front. A hop bitterness makes its appearance midway through as it tosses a new flavor element into the mix. The unmistakable smokey flavor hits also in the middle, which is utilized perfectly throughout and lingers long after the dry finish. The smoked flavor is more intense as the porter warms.

Flavors are better, as the label suggests, if this porter isn't served right out of the fridge. Just a good overall beer, especially if your a porter fan. Smokiness adds an interesting twist that's not overdone either. (877 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

Sometimes its worth revisiting a classic. I haven’t had Stone’s Smoked Porter in ages. The first time I tried it I remember thinking it was too smoky for my tastes. Then I started to enjoy roast and appreciate porters, so it grew on me. Lately, however, I’ve had several brews made with smoked malt—including San Antonio’s own Mesquite Smoked Porter from Ranger Creek. Would I still enjoy Stone’s take on a smoked porter after having expanded my palate and appreciation?

In short, yes.

I poured this from a bottle purchased in January 2012. It stayed hidden in my fridge until mid-April of the same year. While I didn’t expect to encounter much, if any, of a time-sensitive hop profile I state this because I wonder if the smoked malt mellows out over time.

At 5.9% ABV this is one of Stone’s “lightest” offerings. Parenthesis, only because it pours a dark coffee black with a billowy topping of crème colored foam. It has a light roast aroma, with just a touch of smoke. It’s subtle, nuanced and delicate to the point where it would be easily overlooked had it gone a shade lighter. Flavorwise the smoked malt makes its presence known without being bombastic or assertive. It complements the roast characteristics in a way that makes it a team player, an integral component of this beer’s flavor profile. There’s cacao nibs and a light hop bittering to round out the team, with a little sweetness on the body. It’s delicious and deliciously drinkable and I enjoyed it tremendously. (1,516 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

I thought this was a non-smoking bar. Pours a black color with very little discolorization on the edges, although some very light brown hue is noticeable. A good head that quickly hides to the edge of the glass. Left good lacing though.

I suggest letting the beer sit and warm a bit. Helps out the smell and taste. Has a rich and robust smell with good malt presence. A good smokiness that mixes with some of the roasted and black malts. Not much on hops.

The taste is thick and a bit bready. A strong malt presence with the smoky flavor becoming more noticeable. This doesn't completely hide some of the roasted flavors, which are a bit harsh and astringent. A good mix between the two, but the smoked malt having more notice. The finish is smooth with a very small hot bitterness to it. A somewhat woody afterglow.

The body is full and there isn't much of a yeast aftertaste. This is a great porter that is unique and quite enjoyable to drink. (948 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Dark, dark brown/black with a large 3 finger head. Interesting long lasting lacing left rings after each sip.

S - So much going on here: Smoke, chocolate, caramel, coffee and hints of malt. No one aroma was stronger than the others.

T - Smokey malt with chocolate and coffee at first, with just a touch of hop bitterness towards the finish. Again everything in balance.

M - Smooth and creamy with a medium body. Very full flavor but not heavy at all. Very refreshing aftertaste.

O - An outstanding smoked porter. Part of me wanted to try and identify everything going on here and another part of me just wanted to relax and savor every sip. (689 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

a - dark brown on the edges and black in the center. suprisingly white smooth head.

s - smoky and slightly chocolatey.

t - there is some slight bitterness from the roasted malt, but it is not overpowering or inappropriate for the style. the hardness of the water is apparent as well as some slight coffee flavor. again, both are appropriate for style.

m - medium bodied with distinctive carbonation that is just enough.

d- a very enjoyable beer and a great representation of the style. i'd recommend it. (508 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

A-nice two finger off white head. Pitch black with no visible carbonation.

S- Smoke, hops, cofee, chocolate.

T- light hops, malt, with a bitterness followed by an immediate sweetness. A sipping brew.

M-great.

D- all night

Great example of a porter (252 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: An aggressive pour gives a reddish-black body, slightly translucent, with a very thick foamy brown head. Significant lacing.

Smell: Malty, heavy with grains and bread, chocolate. Very highly aromatic, an amazing scent. Gotta give it full points.

Taste: Amazingly well-executed porter. Strong notes of coffee and chocolate, with a rich velvety dry finish. And yes, you can taste the smoke. Somewhat sweet on the aftertaste, hints of dried fruits.

Mouthfeel: Moderate. Again, velvety, low carbonation, mild hops. Coats the palate well.

Drinkability: Another amazing winner from Stone. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I do. (651 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

It's a bitter cold evening at the WoodBrew household...just had an incredible dinner...and had a hankerin for something delicious...SCORE!!! Stone SMOKED Porter was a perfect dessert!!! This porter is fantastic the full flavor is perfect against 5.9% ABV. The beer poured into my glass with a beautiful creamy head, which led to perfect lacing just like on a lingerie model!!! The taste has a rich malt character balanced by a nice subtle smoke. I could drink this all night...but not in a binge type fashion. Strongly recommend this to all my hommies!!! (554 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.