Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

craig220, Apr 18, 2012

stevec32, Apr 18, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Virtually black. Pours a thick three finger head with some hints of chocolate.

Aroma: Roasted malt, toasty. Deep and satisfying, but not smoke as far as I can tell.

Taste: Lovely malt attack! Rich chocolate, espresso, and roasted coffee & malts. Some toasty characteristics from the smoking, but it's not "smoky" as such. Very tasty though.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, medium bodied.

Overall: This is an excellent, robust porter, although I'm surprised about the relative lack of smoke. For the style, the points come down a little bit because of the lack of smoke, but as a porter this is very good indeed.

Arborescence, Apr 18, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Sometimes its worth revisiting a classic. I haven’t had Stone’s Smoked Porter in ages. The first time I tried it I remember thinking it was too smoky for my tastes. Then I started to enjoy roast and appreciate porters, so it grew on me. Lately, however, I’ve had several brews made with smoked malt—including San Antonio’s own Mesquite Smoked Porter from Ranger Creek. Would I still enjoy Stone’s take on a smoked porter after having expanded my palate and appreciation?

In short, yes.

I poured this from a bottle purchased in January 2012. It stayed hidden in my fridge until mid-April of the same year. While I didn’t expect to encounter much, if any, of a time-sensitive hop profile I state this because I wonder if the smoked malt mellows out over time.

At 5.9% ABV this is one of Stone’s “lightest” offerings. Parenthesis, only because it pours a dark coffee black with a billowy topping of crème colored foam. It has a light roast aroma, with just a touch of smoke. It’s subtle, nuanced and delicate to the point where it would be easily overlooked had it gone a shade lighter. Flavorwise the smoked malt makes its presence known without being bombastic or assertive. It complements the roast characteristics in a way that makes it a team player, an integral component of this beer’s flavor profile. There’s cacao nibs and a light hop bittering to round out the team, with a little sweetness on the body. It’s delicious and deliciously drinkable and I enjoyed it tremendously.

elNopalero, Apr 16, 2012

ColoradoNative, Apr 14, 2012

whatname, Apr 13, 2012

Beezee, Apr 13, 2012

Enjoy By 05.29.12

A: Pours a dark ruby red color with a fluffy fingers worth of tan head that leaves some nice lacing

S: Malty, slight smoke and coffee, dark chocolate, caramel, and maybe even some dark fruits

T: Follows the nose, very complex with a few different distinct layers. First is the roatsed malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. Next is the slight smoke. This is all rounded off by more malty character and very light anise and dark fruits. And I put an emphasis on very light

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A very nice and complex porter that has a very nice price point and is pretty easy to drink. Would definitely be a nice fall fireside beer, especially with the smoke character

BEERMILER12, Apr 13, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Stone Smoked Porter has a very thick, creamy, beige head and a dark brown appearance, with some lacing. The aroma is faint, but one is able to detect dark-roasted and bready barley malt. Taste is of dark-roasted, charred malt, charcoal, and some sweet bread. I did not pick up on any hop bitterness with this beer. Mouthfeel was pretty light and watery, and Stone Smoked Porter finishes semi-dry, creamy, and very easy drinking. Overall, this is a good beer.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Apr 12, 2012

Nage37, Apr 11, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -2%

Quick question: Why did I not buy this beer before? It's $5.09 (plus tax) for a bomber and it's a smoked porter. Obviously my wires were messed up in my head for a long time. The only other time I had Stone's Smoked Porter was a few weeks ago at a good bar in Dallas, TX called The Common Table. They had a version of it on Randall and with Knob Creek vanilla beans. It was insanely good, especially when it got very warm. Now it's time to see how the original version is.

This is one of those beers you love pouring out. The head forms pretty slowly with the bubbles turbulently rising to the top, making a lovely, fluffy light tan head that has excellent retention, allowing you to get a nice amount of head to rise above the rim of the glass. There's a good amount of lacing. The darkest of brown, it's a more reddish ruby color, and clear, when before a light. Some bubbles remain on the surface of the beer throughout the experience.

This is a very mealy-smelling beer to me. Roasted malts dominate but they're not nearly as chocolatey or coffee-y as I expected them to be. That's not a bad thing, though. There's a slightly sweet caramel aroma too. I wouldn't say smokiness is strong but it's definitely there, but I will say there is a pretty strong toastiness to it. Good aromas but nothing great or strong.

This wasn't as strong as I thought it'd be. It's taste mirrors the smell in many ways. It's mostly mealy and the toastiness comes in there again, like a light smokiness. Compared to Left Hand's Smoke Jumper I had over the weekend, this is much less smoky. I almost feel as if Stone has tried to make a more drinkable beer, and that's something that's not really their style. There's a bit of chocolate and coffee that makes their presence felt, or in this case tasted, later on. Flavors are good but not strong enough to make much of an impression. Smokiness is more of a hint than a defining character.

This is a pretty smooth brew. Medium-bodied with medium-low carbonation. This is a very smooth beer and because of its mild flavors it is very drinkable as well.

I'll be honest, this didn't satisfy me as I thought it would. Usually when I pour such a gorgeous beer its other qualities are just equally as good, but the smell and taste were underwhelming to me. This beer's flaw, if it can be called that, is that it doesn't have enough of what's already there. The on Randall and Knob Creek vanilla bean version I had had much more character and got more interesting as I drank it. This sort of stayed good but not great. But if you're wanting a mild-flavored and drinkable smoked porter, this is a good bet and it's relatively cheap price makes it an easier choice for a purchase.

BeardedRiker, Apr 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Invictys, Apr 10, 2012

Pours a dark color with a cream colored head that leaves some nice lacing. Aroma is of smoke coffee, and caramel. Taste has initial malt sweetness, followed by an interesting smoky flavor. The finish is mildly bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is medium to full.

jojoluvsbeer, Apr 09, 2012

DeezJutz, Apr 09, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +3%

A - Deep reddish color, almost completely black; pours a huge rocky head about 3 fingers high that lasts a good 3 or 5 minutes to dissipate into a thin lace that leaves traces.

S - Black fruits jam, burnt wood and alcohol with faint chocolate scent.

T - Licorice, sweet chocolate, coffee and toasted tones with light smokey undertones. At some points it was like having charcoal at your mouth, like taking a deep breath from a grill at a BBQ.

M - Smooth and slightly carbonated, but not overwhelming at all; has a little dry finish, but it just leaves you wanting more.

Overall, I enjoyed this brew a lot. It was balanced, with a good body and complexity without being overwhelming to the palate. It has some flavors and characteristics that I've enjoyed from stouts, but being a porter it was a little less aggressive, which was satisfying and tasty. I would recommend it and have it again, no doubt about it.

Pexkool, Apr 09, 2012

Polasiuss, Apr 09, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Dark, black beer with a creamy head that overflowed my glass. Smell is of a standard porter, with hints of espresso and chocolate. But the taste is just right, with just the right amount of smoke that really sets it apart from other porters. Well done!

Given that its in a 22 ounce bottle and costs more than my regular porters, this beer will not become an everyday beer for me, but its something i can reserve for those special beer drinking days.

littlelorib, Apr 09, 2012

Ryno317, Apr 08, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

hlaus, Apr 08, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

WhitmansNiece, Apr 07, 2012
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.