Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
bditty187

Nebraska

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Largely black in hue with shinny ruby highlight around the edge of the glass once held to the light. The brunette head reached two fingers in height and the retention was nearly flawless. It took a long while before it faded noticeably. The subsequent lacing was massive. It was a beautiful sight. The nose was quite unexpected. Where was the smoke? I mean I could detect the American hops the second I started pouring it and once I took a sniff a good amount of roast chocolate malts and coffee hints were detectable. But where is the smoke? Frankly it just smells like a big Porter. That’s not really a bad thing but the label is misleading thus far. The palate is tasty; I think I found what is meant by smoke, I detected a “burnt” flavor. Unexpected. Disappointing. Still, tasty. I guess this is the difference between a “Smoked Beer” and a “Rauchbier.” Back to the palate, the big roasted flavors dominate but allow room for a reserved bite of hops. This is a well-rounded Porter that is very easy to drink. I am digging the fact that the alcohol content so modest. This is the first Stone beer that does not reign down pure anger in the form of hops! Still, I’m digging it. I mean the drinkability is sensational. I want more! The mouthfeel is pleasant, the carbonation seems a bit small and the body is medium-full, still I found it a touch slick but this is hardly a “big” negative. All I can say is this is a delicious Porter with a straight-ahead tastiness that is hard to rebuff. I bet this could be paired with an array of BBQ and grilled food. I bought my 22-ounce bottle in Loveland. My advice to you, buy some but don’t expect a Rachbier like I did!

03-22-2004 02:49:15 | More by bditty187
Gavage

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a black color with a tan head that's about 1/2" thick. The head receded to the surface rather quickly, but that stuck around a while. Some lacing developed too. The aroma is of coffee and burnt wood. The flavor has coffee, molasses, licorice, pepper, and a hint of burnt chocolate. The smokiness is just right, not overpowering and it adds to the flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a slight dry aftertaste. The smokiness and coffee tones last long on the tongue after swallowing. This is one of the better smoked brews I have ever sampled.

03-19-2004 21:48:09 | More by Gavage
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours pitch black with a thick tan head. I love a really dark porter! Smell is dominated by the smoke. Chocolate and bitter burnt malt. Nice!

Taste does not live up to the smell. Lots of chocolate flavor and lots of dark malt. Lightly nutty and bitter coffee flavors. Strong licorice flavors as well. There is some light smoke throughout but nothing like the smell or like other smoked beers I have had. however, it is still a really complex and tasty beer. Smoky aftertaste and full-bodied. Damn drinkable. I can't think of another time that a beer has disappointed me so much but still delivered things I wasn't even looking for. Excellent!

03-11-2004 02:51:44 | More by ViveLaChouffe
watermelonman

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

This is one dark porter. It smells a little plain, but the taste is full-bodied and definitely smokey. The head and lace were somewhat subdued, as expected. It's got a bit of a black licorice taste, too.

It was more bitter and less smooth than what I typically look for in a porter, but it's definitely good.

03-09-2004 00:02:47 | More by watermelonman
Foxman

it pours a deep, almost totally opaque brown, flashing ruby at the edges where light stands a better chance of passion through. A finger full of light brown head pillows like mousse and retains nicely. Clingy whirls of lacing meander on the glass.

A rather mild smokey peat aroma is most notable at first, but almost as apparent is a chocolate character and coffee notes. Hops begin by acting shyly, but come out of their shell as the glass warms, allowing them to flower more noticeably. The earthy sweetness of dark roasted malt provides the end game, along with a mild coffee bitterness.

Upon tasting, the dusky malt takes the lead, imparting a roasted grain backbone to the mix, but the genuine smokey character duels capably. An edgy dark coffee bitterness cruises in, then steps aside to allow a pairing of an oily hops resonance and an earthy, almost leathery richness to work toward the end. The finish gives up the return of the gentle bitterness. The smoke component is a mellow partner rather than an assertive stage-hog, and that works well here.

Medium bodied, the flavor elements are strident enough to cling tightly, which is good because this beer flows ably, rather than coat the palate. A dry hops tingle glows at the finish.

This is my first Stone offering (I'm saving my DB,) and I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's all good. The eponymous smoke never overwhelms, but rather adds a fun aspect to a good porter. It's never over the top and delivers good flavor along with something a bit different. Goes to show you, add a flavor to what starts as a good beer, and it has a chance to be a winner. It drinks easily and freely, which is obviously a good quality. No, I'm not wowed, but I'm pleased, and if Stone gets nothing but better from here on for me, then life is surely fine.

03-07-2004 18:50:39 | More by Foxman
ngandhi

4.22/5  rDev +5%

When cold, this is one of the most delicious porters I've ever had. Once it rises to room temperature, the unctuous, nutty hop resins come together brillantly with the fruity malt and yeast and this is one of the most delicious porters I've ever had. But I'm missing the smoke here.

This isn't rauchbier style smoke; the focus is definetly on crafting an overall remarkable porter that happens to have smoked malt. However, I found there to be more noticeable smokiness in the 6th Anniversary (listed on BA as a Baltic porter). Stone Smoked Porter is not so much smoked as it is Islay malt peaty. But I guess Peaty Porter sounds kinda wussy on a bottle

The malt profile is coffee and unsweetened, raw, pure cocoa. The hop oils lend a walnut/hazelnut profile to this brew that I've found to run common in the Stone beers -- most noticeable in Arrogant Bastard. The finish is packed with a powerful black patent-like bitterness that must come from the smoke (I assume there's no patent in here because it's called a porter). Again the coffee, the hazelnut, and fruity, Bell's-like yeast. This is a full breakfast.

I was running the review through my head as I drank it fresh out of the fridge and I debated giving this a perfect score because it was so well-balanced, especially for a smoked beer. By bottle's end, I think this balance hurts the beer. The smoke profile is indistinguishable and the hop volatility begins to clash with what is, at first, a pleasant medium-bodied beer. It grows thin.

But this beer's got balls. It takes a chance. And this level of criticism is only due to something that has tried for perfection and achieved only greatness instead.

Relax, relax.
ng

03-05-2004 01:31:49 | More by ngandhi
ark57

It is ruby-black in color. the aroma has roasted coffee and some smoke, though I would have expected more from a brewer such as Stone. The body is thick, creamy and complex. There are notes of dark fruits, coffee, and chocolate. Of course there is the smoke, but I wish there was more of it. A fine beer that I would never pass up, but I want more smoke.

03-04-2004 14:57:22 | More by ark57
jlervine

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a deep black with only the slightest hints of deep brown along the edge of the glass. Head was just slightly off-white and fell down to a thick webbing of foam along the top of the beer. Smell is dark chocolate, thick gooey dark chocolate, roasted malt, and just a hint of subdued smokiness. Taste leads off with a smooth hop bitterness that has a citrus/earthy tone, then takes you into roasted malt land. The dark chocolate tones reign supreme, and the finish adds just a touch of smoke. Mouthfeel is very nice, but perhaps a bit too much in the astringent drying feeling left at the very end. Not bad, though. A very drinkable beer, and very enjoyable.

02-23-2004 01:09:31 | More by jlervine
ManekiNeko

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz bomber served at cellarish temperatures in a big ol' pilsener flute ideal for bombers.

Appearance: Dark dark dark black with ruby highlights. Topped by a huge beige head that eventually recedes to a smallish layer of foam. Faint wisps of lacing are left on the glass.

Smell: Hearty aroma of chocolate malts. The smoke is not very apparent on the nose, but it's slightly detectable. The smoke smell is vaguely reminiscent of what your clothes smell like a few days after sitting around a campfire.

Taste: Sweet taste of chocolate malt with some velvety ash- and smoke-esque flavors casting their umbras on the aftertaste. Quite bittersweet and dark.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium in body. Thick and hearty.

Drinkability: The smoke is only hinted at in this beer. It certainly doesn't whack you in the face with it like Rogue's Smoke Ale or an authentic rauchbier (both of which I lerved). This would better be described as a porter with some smoky overtones.

Other: Is "Smoked Beer" as a style kind of a catchall?

02-21-2004 03:39:52 | More by ManekiNeko
frank4sail

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Very dark scarlet/ruby color with a rich sticky thick lacing yellowish beige head. Rich sweet chocolate smell with a slight wisp of toasted hazel nut. Inital dry cocoa powder and coffee taste. The brew then finishes with a sharp hop/smoke bite. The mouth is thick initally with a dry back of the tongue finish. The dryness to the finish pushes you to drink more. There is alot going on in the brew complex and bewildering to the palate.

02-12-2004 02:18:03 | More by frank4sail
silenius

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

What can I say? I liked this beer. All 4.5 scores. It was my last bottle from my trip to Ohio and I savored it.

It is a rich dark brown and with a vigorous pour, the head looks like a malted milk shake.

Smell is milk chocolate, malt, coffee. Nothing over powering and nicely integrated. Smooth.

It tasted like an alcoholic version of a chocolate milk shake. Not some frou-frou "chocolate liquer," and downright good.

Mouthfeel was medium thick. I knew I was drinking a substantial beer!

Drinkability is great. If I had more, I would have another, and at 5.9% ABV, another wouldn't hurt!

02-10-2004 02:53:57 | More by silenius
Bierguy5

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

What could be better than a bomber of Stone beer? Not much I can tell you. It has been a long time since I have had a smoked beer, so here goes. This pours a deep dark brown liquid with ruby tones. The head is a nice tan color, and it stayed for a little while. It left some nice lace on the sides of the glass. Smells of roasted grain, with a slight smoky, oak aroma. Tastes kind of a slight chocolatey thing. The smoke hits at the end, but it doesn't really hit, it just kind of taps you on the shoulder. Hello my friend. Felt a little thin, but definitely not the end of the world. Even though this is a smoke beer, it is very drinkable. Not an overpowering smoke effect, just a pleasant, subtle flavor. I have yet to be disappointed by a Stone beer. This is one smoke that shouldn't be banned from a bar!

02-09-2004 02:07:40 | More by Bierguy5
yankeeheel

Maine

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a bark and lovely brown with a smallish fizzy head. Little retention and lacing. Smells a little smoky and oaky.

The tatse is a very nice and flavorful. A lot of subtle smoke flavor with a bit of charcoal and toasted nut hiding in the back. Not overly hopped, which is a departure for Stone. Mouthfeel was a hair thin for my liking and it was just a little too fizzy but overall a really decent session porter.

02-08-2004 13:18:21 | More by yankeeheel
Jables

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours like the black of night. A nice white to off white head develops.

Aroma is roasted malt and smoke.

Flavor is deep smoked and roasted malt with a nice countering bitterness. Quite dry finish, but that cleans it all up. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is substantial but not quite coating which is appropriate for a porter, but I would call this basically an Imperial Porter.

Drinkability is great considering this is very flavorful brew.

Thanks to WVBeerGeek for the hookup!

02-07-2004 02:07:37 | More by Jables
benmiliron

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Paid $3.79 for a 22 oz. Another kick ass brew from Stone. Black liquid, white head. Great sweet/bitter porter flavor. I had to search for the smoke, but it is in there. Not too sticky either. This'd be great with chicken wings or other spicy bar food.

02-05-2004 14:30:21 | More by benmiliron
RockyTopHeel

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Tasted at the Pop the Cap Winter Warmer Event, 1/31 at Tyler's.

This is an attractive dark beer. Jet black with as white a head as I've ever seen atop such a dark brew, with very little carbonation. Aroma is typical porter, plus a nice, roasty, smoky element--a pattern that also holds true in the flavor. I'm really a fan of the thick, smoky taste that comes to kick your taste buds and then leaves to let them recover. I'm thoroughly impressed by how potent yet unoppressive this beer is.

This beer does one thing (beautifully subtle smoke flavor) and does it well. I'm a fan.

02-01-2004 01:11:25 | More by RockyTopHeel
merlin48

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev -3%

22 oz bottle pours a ruby hued, dark brown with a big cocoa head. Appears to be opaque until held to the light. Enormous roasted flavors in the nose: dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and some campfire aromas are dominate. Some westcoast hops seem to be wafting in the background. Mouthfeel is full bodied, rich and creamy, yet has a mild spicy hop twang. Nicely carbonated. Taste is dark chocolate and roasted coffee, as might be expected, but you can easily sense some hop character. Campfire smokiness is present throughout, but is understated. Some dark fruits try to emerge as it nears room temperature, but get knocked back by the bittering hops. This is a very well crafted brew, but is a bit too heavy in character for my preference in a Porter. This one seems a lot closer to a Stout than a Porter. Too thick and rich to get superlative marks on drinkability.

02-01-2004 00:42:25 | More by merlin48
Billolick

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Another high quality creation from Stone. Almost black , with hints of ruby. Nice roasted malts in the center.This is a very well crafted smoked brew, as the smoke flavor is very present,but it doesnt overwhelm the flavor, balance and character of the brew. Velvet mouthfeel, nice hoppy , crisp finish. Stone is quickly becoming a must try brewery. This one is a fine Quafer, well worth seeking out. Tried this one on Tap at The Gingerman in NYC.

01-31-2004 10:15:33 | More by Billolick
Naerhu

Japan

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance - Near jet black with a deep red high-light.
Aroma - Sumi (as in sumi-e), spicy leafy hop on the nose.
Taste - this is to die for. so malty and yummy. None of the cloying smokiness, just truly balanced goodness.
Mouthfeel - Silky and lovely, full bodied and just so amazingly smooth.
Drinkability - This is the first smoked beer that I have ever liked, let alone love. Leave it to Stone to show me the light.

I am utterly depressed that I have not had this before.

01-21-2004 14:16:45 | More by Naerhu
freed

Oregon

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Just finished a day of skiing, and this is a surprising compliment. Nice light ring of foam and odd geometric lacing. Deep chocolate brown body, but not quite black. Smell is slightly mild for such a strong beer; but its predominantly smoked peat.

That thought is continued through the taste. Initially I sensed some greeness, but the longer I take, the better tastes. There are some sweet flavors that mingle with the otherwise dry and peaty dominance, and they do help. For a Stone brew, I'm somewhat startled by the lack of bitterness, but the hop selection seems to compliment the beer very well. It helps dry the palate with the smoke, and whispers in your ear "take another sip."

01-19-2004 01:40:53 | More by freed
Ellbert

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

The appearance was dissapointing to me. It was a deep deep mahogony that one could see through. The head was tan but small. It quickly dissapted leaving a small lace and a very thin layer of bubbles in the pattern of leapord spots. That was cool.

The smell was of roasted malts, very stout like.

The taste was very good. Not what I am used to in a porter. It was sweet but had a smoked taste, hence the style. A little bit of hops were present in the taste but they were in the background.

The mouthfeel left something to be desired. It was a little thin, the carbonation help make the mouthfeel more complex.

The drinkability in this beer is low. The taste was pretty powerful and I myself would not want much more of this. A decent beer but one is enough.

01-10-2004 15:55:29 | More by Ellbert
Admiraldinty

Pours a dark, dark brown with a modest light brown head. Aroma is of sweet, strong coffee, with a really small hint of smoke. Rich and full-bodied with a creamy, but crisp mouthfeel. Chocolately, coffee-like malt with a hint of smoke. Hop bitterness also comes into play. Ah, another beer that drinks like a meal. This isn't a porter for wimps, as this has a huge taste. Despite all this, I would say that this isn't Stone's best beer.

01-10-2004 02:56:20 | More by Admiraldinty
edchicma

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

My second Stone offering...a Christmas present....Santa was very good to me...As someone who is starting to appreciate Porters, I was very happy with this offering. A dark chocolate color with a beautiful head that leaft an unbelievable lacing started the experience. The aroma was what it said...smoky...coffee-bean like with a hint of tartness to come. Taste was extremely well-rounded with a creamy mouthfeel that was medium bodied. The smoky coffee flavors were there, but so was an excellent slightly bitter aftertaste. Extremely smooth drinkability. I tried this at about 55-60 degrees which seemed ideal. Right up there in my top tier of fine brews. Definitely a brew to try.

12-29-2003 01:14:36 | More by edchicma
Suds

22 ounce bottle.
Poured extremely dark with a moderate, tan head that quickly settled and dissipated. Aroma is predominately roasted grains and malt. Very slight smoke character in the rear of the aroma. In fact, the smokiness of the beer takes a backseat throughout the experience....it's almost an afterthought. And, in one sense, that's a refreshing change from smoked beers that are plainly overdone.
The beer has a rich, thick mouthfeel...mouth-coating with a somewhat astringent and dry finish. Roasted grain throughout, and moderately bitter hop aftertaste. Overall, it's a very drinkable, well-made brew.

12-28-2003 01:09:41 | More by Suds
CBFanWish

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

A super dark brown color that would give you the impression that it was a stout just by looking at it. There was a smoky smell as well as a smoky yet caramel taste. If there is a better way to spend my winters, I havn't had it yet. This beer was as smooth as it gets.

12-26-2003 14:59:50 | More by CBFanWish
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.