Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Dark brown hue with a thin, quickly absent tan head. The smoke isn't so subtle to me, it's actually pretty well developped. Very sweet though with lots of crystal? malt making up honey and maple flavors. Subdued hops profile that gain Stone a bit of respect from me. Chocolatey sweet, just very malty altogether and finely balanced once the grassy green hops finally kick in, but it's no standout in my books and is actually a bit watery in the finish. I can definitely see where the brewers are from when they claim this to be their less understood beer though.

Rastacouere, Apr 19, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours black ruby in color with a thick and creamy tan head that billows out of the top of the glass with no spillage. Nose is roasted coffee beans and dark caramel along with some fainter aromas of smoked grains. Fairly full in body with a somewhat heavy and chewy texture and a very smooth level of carbonation. Taste begins with some sweet malts and milk chocolate followed by flavors of fresh brewed coffee and some earthy notes with touches of smoky charcoal and peat with only a mild trace of bitter hops towards the finish. The smoky and peaty notes remain in the aftertaste, becoming more pronounced as the beer warms. Another winner from Stone. Purchased from Liquid Solutions.

Morris729, Apr 07, 2004

The beer was presented to me in a tall pilsener glass at Fleming's Steak House in San Diego. It was a solid black with brown tints at the edges. The head was poured small, but it was light and creamy and left a strong lace. The aroma was of chocolate and roasted goodies. Tiny bit of hop aroma. Not a whole lot of smoke. The taste was full of chocolate and sweet roasted grains. Astringency was low. Mild hop flavor barely balanced the chocolate sweetness. Smokiness was restrained. Not dry. I ordered a filet mignon and I don't think they went too well together, go figure. Anyways, this porter is medium bodied and very smooth. I had this a few months ago in the bottle and it was terribly astringent. This tap version was very nice.

oggg, Apr 03, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

The beer poured dark chocolate brown, bordering on black. It poured a good foamy one and one half inch head that slowly dissapated and left a slight creamy lace on top that stuck to the glass throughout the entire drink. The smell was semi-sweet with a fair amount of spicy undertones. Just a slight hint of coffee. It started out with a sweet cream taste with just the right mix of a coffee taste. The middle was laced with a spice that I just can't put my finger on. The finish was just slightly bitter with a slight kick of smoke. All and all a great beer that would be great to share with friends over a heated conversation about nothing, or with a fine dinner, or just sitting back and relaxing after a long day at work.

coasterfreak75, Mar 31, 2004

Pours a deep dark maroon, almost black. Small thin head forms and disappears, no real lace.
Aroma of cocoa, coffee bean, chocolate, pine, minor citrus notes and an earthy mineral note.
Flavors of chocolate, coffee, butterscotch, moderate liquid smoke and some pine sap and citurs bitterness were noted.
Mouthfeel jumps to an espresso bitterness right away . Midway thorugh a scotch malt hit is detected that then switches to a heavily roasted, smoked finish.
Drinkability is relatively high, love to try this one with some spicy BBQ'ed ribs

CRJMellor, Mar 26, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer poured a dark black body with a creamy dark tan head.

The nose was a dark lush chocolate. Touches of caramel, malt and a soft, very faint, meat/smoke smell.

The taste was light to medium bodied. Dark mild but bitter roasted barley. Soft chocolate. A nice firm bitterness from start to finish. A touch of hops A slight woody/bark flavor. A very very mild smoke flavor. The smoke is present but simple and perfectly complimenting the dark malt.

Overall a really nice porter. Tasty, smooth and creamy but not as thick as a stout. Just a faint hint of smoke giving it a nice added touch. Basically just another great beer from stone.

taez555, Mar 22, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Largely black in hue with shinny ruby highlight around the edge of the glass once held to the light. The brunette head reached two fingers in height and the retention was nearly flawless. It took a long while before it faded noticeably. The subsequent lacing was massive. It was a beautiful sight. The nose was quite unexpected. Where was the smoke? I mean I could detect the American hops the second I started pouring it and once I took a sniff a good amount of roast chocolate malts and coffee hints were detectable. But where is the smoke? Frankly it just smells like a big Porter. That’s not really a bad thing but the label is misleading thus far. The palate is tasty; I think I found what is meant by smoke, I detected a “burnt” flavor. Unexpected. Disappointing. Still, tasty. I guess this is the difference between a “Smoked Beer” and a “Rauchbier.” Back to the palate, the big roasted flavors dominate but allow room for a reserved bite of hops. This is a well-rounded Porter that is very easy to drink. I am digging the fact that the alcohol content so modest. This is the first Stone beer that does not reign down pure anger in the form of hops! Still, I’m digging it. I mean the drinkability is sensational. I want more! The mouthfeel is pleasant, the carbonation seems a bit small and the body is medium-full, still I found it a touch slick but this is hardly a “big” negative. All I can say is this is a delicious Porter with a straight-ahead tastiness that is hard to rebuff. I bet this could be paired with an array of BBQ and grilled food. I bought my 22-ounce bottle in Loveland. My advice to you, buy some but don’t expect a Rachbier like I did!

bditty187, Mar 22, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a black color with a tan head that's about 1/2" thick. The head receded to the surface rather quickly, but that stuck around a while. Some lacing developed too. The aroma is of coffee and burnt wood. The flavor has coffee, molasses, licorice, pepper, and a hint of burnt chocolate. The smokiness is just right, not overpowering and it adds to the flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a slight dry aftertaste. The smokiness and coffee tones last long on the tongue after swallowing. This is one of the better smoked brews I have ever sampled.

Gavage, Mar 19, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours pitch black with a thick tan head. I love a really dark porter! Smell is dominated by the smoke. Chocolate and bitter burnt malt. Nice!

Taste does not live up to the smell. Lots of chocolate flavor and lots of dark malt. Lightly nutty and bitter coffee flavors. Strong licorice flavors as well. There is some light smoke throughout but nothing like the smell or like other smoked beers I have had. however, it is still a really complex and tasty beer. Smoky aftertaste and full-bodied. Damn drinkable. I can't think of another time that a beer has disappointed me so much but still delivered things I wasn't even looking for. Excellent!

ViveLaChouffe, Mar 11, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

This is one dark porter. It smells a little plain, but the taste is full-bodied and definitely smokey. The head and lace were somewhat subdued, as expected. It's got a bit of a black licorice taste, too.

It was more bitter and less smooth than what I typically look for in a porter, but it's definitely good.

watermelonman, Mar 09, 2004

it pours a deep, almost totally opaque brown, flashing ruby at the edges where light stands a better chance of passion through. A finger full of light brown head pillows like mousse and retains nicely. Clingy whirls of lacing meander on the glass.

A rather mild smokey peat aroma is most notable at first, but almost as apparent is a chocolate character and coffee notes. Hops begin by acting shyly, but come out of their shell as the glass warms, allowing them to flower more noticeably. The earthy sweetness of dark roasted malt provides the end game, along with a mild coffee bitterness.

Upon tasting, the dusky malt takes the lead, imparting a roasted grain backbone to the mix, but the genuine smokey character duels capably. An edgy dark coffee bitterness cruises in, then steps aside to allow a pairing of an oily hops resonance and an earthy, almost leathery richness to work toward the end. The finish gives up the return of the gentle bitterness. The smoke component is a mellow partner rather than an assertive stage-hog, and that works well here.

Medium bodied, the flavor elements are strident enough to cling tightly, which is good because this beer flows ably, rather than coat the palate. A dry hops tingle glows at the finish.

This is my first Stone offering (I'm saving my DB,) and I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's all good. The eponymous smoke never overwhelms, but rather adds a fun aspect to a good porter. It's never over the top and delivers good flavor along with something a bit different. Goes to show you, add a flavor to what starts as a good beer, and it has a chance to be a winner. It drinks easily and freely, which is obviously a good quality. No, I'm not wowed, but I'm pleased, and if Stone gets nothing but better from here on for me, then life is surely fine.

Foxman, Mar 07, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +5%

When cold, this is one of the most delicious porters I've ever had. Once it rises to room temperature, the unctuous, nutty hop resins come together brillantly with the fruity malt and yeast and this is one of the most delicious porters I've ever had. But I'm missing the smoke here.

This isn't rauchbier style smoke; the focus is definetly on crafting an overall remarkable porter that happens to have smoked malt. However, I found there to be more noticeable smokiness in the 6th Anniversary (listed on BA as a Baltic porter). Stone Smoked Porter is not so much smoked as it is Islay malt peaty. But I guess Peaty Porter sounds kinda wussy on a bottle

The malt profile is coffee and unsweetened, raw, pure cocoa. The hop oils lend a walnut/hazelnut profile to this brew that I've found to run common in the Stone beers -- most noticeable in Arrogant Bastard. The finish is packed with a powerful black patent-like bitterness that must come from the smoke (I assume there's no patent in here because it's called a porter). Again the coffee, the hazelnut, and fruity, Bell's-like yeast. This is a full breakfast.

I was running the review through my head as I drank it fresh out of the fridge and I debated giving this a perfect score because it was so well-balanced, especially for a smoked beer. By bottle's end, I think this balance hurts the beer. The smoke profile is indistinguishable and the hop volatility begins to clash with what is, at first, a pleasant medium-bodied beer. It grows thin.

But this beer's got balls. It takes a chance. And this level of criticism is only due to something that has tried for perfection and achieved only greatness instead.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Mar 05, 2004

It is ruby-black in color. the aroma has roasted coffee and some smoke, though I would have expected more from a brewer such as Stone. The body is thick, creamy and complex. There are notes of dark fruits, coffee, and chocolate. Of course there is the smoke, but I wish there was more of it. A fine beer that I would never pass up, but I want more smoke.

ark57, Mar 04, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a deep black with only the slightest hints of deep brown along the edge of the glass. Head was just slightly off-white and fell down to a thick webbing of foam along the top of the beer. Smell is dark chocolate, thick gooey dark chocolate, roasted malt, and just a hint of subdued smokiness. Taste leads off with a smooth hop bitterness that has a citrus/earthy tone, then takes you into roasted malt land. The dark chocolate tones reign supreme, and the finish adds just a touch of smoke. Mouthfeel is very nice, but perhaps a bit too much in the astringent drying feeling left at the very end. Not bad, though. A very drinkable beer, and very enjoyable.

jlervine, Feb 23, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz bomber served at cellarish temperatures in a big ol' pilsener flute ideal for bombers.

Appearance: Dark dark dark black with ruby highlights. Topped by a huge beige head that eventually recedes to a smallish layer of foam. Faint wisps of lacing are left on the glass.

Smell: Hearty aroma of chocolate malts. The smoke is not very apparent on the nose, but it's slightly detectable. The smoke smell is vaguely reminiscent of what your clothes smell like a few days after sitting around a campfire.

Taste: Sweet taste of chocolate malt with some velvety ash- and smoke-esque flavors casting their umbras on the aftertaste. Quite bittersweet and dark.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium in body. Thick and hearty.

Drinkability: The smoke is only hinted at in this beer. It certainly doesn't whack you in the face with it like Rogue's Smoke Ale or an authentic rauchbier (both of which I lerved). This would better be described as a porter with some smoky overtones.

Other: Is "Smoked Beer" as a style kind of a catchall?

ManekiNeko, Feb 21, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Very dark scarlet/ruby color with a rich sticky thick lacing yellowish beige head. Rich sweet chocolate smell with a slight wisp of toasted hazel nut. Inital dry cocoa powder and coffee taste. The brew then finishes with a sharp hop/smoke bite. The mouth is thick initally with a dry back of the tongue finish. The dryness to the finish pushes you to drink more. There is alot going on in the brew complex and bewildering to the palate.

frank4sail, Feb 12, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

What can I say? I liked this beer. All 4.5 scores. It was my last bottle from my trip to Ohio and I savored it.

It is a rich dark brown and with a vigorous pour, the head looks like a malted milk shake.

Smell is milk chocolate, malt, coffee. Nothing over powering and nicely integrated. Smooth.

It tasted like an alcoholic version of a chocolate milk shake. Not some frou-frou "chocolate liquer," and downright good.

Mouthfeel was medium thick. I knew I was drinking a substantial beer!

Drinkability is great. If I had more, I would have another, and at 5.9% ABV, another wouldn't hurt!

silenius, Feb 10, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

What could be better than a bomber of Stone beer? Not much I can tell you. It has been a long time since I have had a smoked beer, so here goes. This pours a deep dark brown liquid with ruby tones. The head is a nice tan color, and it stayed for a little while. It left some nice lace on the sides of the glass. Smells of roasted grain, with a slight smoky, oak aroma. Tastes kind of a slight chocolatey thing. The smoke hits at the end, but it doesn't really hit, it just kind of taps you on the shoulder. Hello my friend. Felt a little thin, but definitely not the end of the world. Even though this is a smoke beer, it is very drinkable. Not an overpowering smoke effect, just a pleasant, subtle flavor. I have yet to be disappointed by a Stone beer. This is one smoke that shouldn't be banned from a bar!

Bierguy5, Feb 09, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a bark and lovely brown with a smallish fizzy head. Little retention and lacing. Smells a little smoky and oaky.

The tatse is a very nice and flavorful. A lot of subtle smoke flavor with a bit of charcoal and toasted nut hiding in the back. Not overly hopped, which is a departure for Stone. Mouthfeel was a hair thin for my liking and it was just a little too fizzy but overall a really decent session porter.

yankeeheel, Feb 08, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours like the black of night. A nice white to off white head develops.

Aroma is roasted malt and smoke.

Flavor is deep smoked and roasted malt with a nice countering bitterness. Quite dry finish, but that cleans it all up. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is substantial but not quite coating which is appropriate for a porter, but I would call this basically an Imperial Porter.

Drinkability is great considering this is very flavorful brew.

Thanks to WVBeerGeek for the hookup!

Jables, Feb 07, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Paid $3.79 for a 22 oz. Another kick ass brew from Stone. Black liquid, white head. Great sweet/bitter porter flavor. I had to search for the smoke, but it is in there. Not too sticky either. This'd be great with chicken wings or other spicy bar food.

benmiliron, Feb 05, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +2%

Tasted at the Pop the Cap Winter Warmer Event, 1/31 at Tyler's.

This is an attractive dark beer. Jet black with as white a head as I've ever seen atop such a dark brew, with very little carbonation. Aroma is typical porter, plus a nice, roasty, smoky element--a pattern that also holds true in the flavor. I'm really a fan of the thick, smoky taste that comes to kick your taste buds and then leaves to let them recover. I'm thoroughly impressed by how potent yet unoppressive this beer is.

This beer does one thing (beautifully subtle smoke flavor) and does it well. I'm a fan.

RockyTopHeel, Feb 01, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -3%

22 oz bottle pours a ruby hued, dark brown with a big cocoa head. Appears to be opaque until held to the light. Enormous roasted flavors in the nose: dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and some campfire aromas are dominate. Some westcoast hops seem to be wafting in the background. Mouthfeel is full bodied, rich and creamy, yet has a mild spicy hop twang. Nicely carbonated. Taste is dark chocolate and roasted coffee, as might be expected, but you can easily sense some hop character. Campfire smokiness is present throughout, but is understated. Some dark fruits try to emerge as it nears room temperature, but get knocked back by the bittering hops. This is a very well crafted brew, but is a bit too heavy in character for my preference in a Porter. This one seems a lot closer to a Stout than a Porter. Too thick and rich to get superlative marks on drinkability.

merlin48, Feb 01, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Another high quality creation from Stone. Almost black , with hints of ruby. Nice roasted malts in the center.This is a very well crafted smoked brew, as the smoke flavor is very present,but it doesnt overwhelm the flavor, balance and character of the brew. Velvet mouthfeel, nice hoppy , crisp finish. Stone is quickly becoming a must try brewery. This one is a fine Quafer, well worth seeking out. Tried this one on Tap at The Gingerman in NYC.

Billolick, Jan 31, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance - Near jet black with a deep red high-light.
Aroma - Sumi (as in sumi-e), spicy leafy hop on the nose.
Taste - this is to die for. so malty and yummy. None of the cloying smokiness, just truly balanced goodness.
Mouthfeel - Silky and lovely, full bodied and just so amazingly smooth.
Drinkability - This is the first smoked beer that I have ever liked, let alone love. Leave it to Stone to show me the light.

I am utterly depressed that I have not had this before.

Naerhu, Jan 21, 2004
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.