Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.36/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a bomber a rich deep redish brown with an inch of foamy tan head. I'm getting scents of dark chocolate and caramel malt followed by a nearby campfire. Tastes of chocolate and coffee, mild smoke and well balanced with malt. Finishes slightly bitter as the smoke lingers on. One of my all time favorite porters. Very satisfying offering from Stone. I can see myself enjoying a few of these on a chilly fall camping trip to compliment some smokey, grilled meats cooked over the campfire.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours an inky black with a thin mocha head. When you hold it to the light it has red hues. The smell is great and well balanced. It is driven by the smoke, but sweet, maybe chocolaty notes. The taste is just as good, well balanced, starts smoky and sweet with a strong porter finish. The aftertaste sticks with the smoke theme but is also strong with malts. The mouthfeel is great, a good balance of flavor, carbonation, and body. I could drink these all night long. This is one of my favorite beers. Such a great brew. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these. Enjoy!

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer poured a dark brown with some port-like brownish burgundy around the edges. The thin film of a head was a slight tan.

Smells of dry chocolate with a slight sourness that plays off the chocolate with a subtle hint of ash. There’s also a bit of corn syrup in the background.

Tastes of sweet dark barley with a hint of cocoa and a dry woody campfire. There’s also a slight lime here. In the finish, the campfire fades from lively woody smoke to ash.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a thick mouth of little bubbles that feels slightly dry.

Not bad at all. Reminds me of summer camping in a bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

S - 22 oz. bomber thanks much to beerbeing for this gem.

A - Pours a black with brown edges and a small garnet center, head is a light khaki that sticks well. Looks like I'm in for a treat.

S - Smoke, caramel, chocolate, malted grains, smells great.

T - Smokey and sweet, chocolate, caramel, nutty undertones. just great.

M - This is what a porter should feel like.

D - I wish I had a self replenishing supply in my refrigerator. Unfortunately Stone doesnt distribute in MO.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this on tap at BoBBiQue in Patchogue. I do enjoy a good smoked porter. And this one was very good. The beer pours a jet black color with a thick, foamy tan head. The bartender had me dip my finger into the head to show me how rich and creamy it is. Very nice. Nice lacing as well. The beer smells of smoked wood, coffee, and some dark chocolate. It's like they captured a campfire in the aroma. Impressive.

Stone Smoked Porter tastes as good as it smells. The smokey, woodchips-esque flavor reveals itself first, with coffee and chocolate nodes playing second fiddle. There was also a slight bitterness at the end. As the beer warmed up, there was a distinct pine flavor that was certainly welcomed. Mouthfeel was full and dry.

This is an incredibly drinkable beer, even though it's quite heavy. Despite it being almost 70 degrees in New York yesterday, having one of these puts you in the perfect mood to bring on winter. Highly reccomended.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured very dark with a nice tan head. Darker than expected.

Has a very nice smokey flavor that would go great with some barbeque. Very drinkable without too much carbonation.

I’d highly recommend, I liked this a lot and will certainly pick more up in the future.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

I love Stone, and have yet to have anything of theirs that I didn't like.
This beer is one of them. I certainly give this beer high praise and I think rightly so. It pours well and comes out a nice deep dark redish black.

The smell intially is a little too subtle but letting it breath reveals malty aromas with a bit of smoked wood and some wonderful hops.

Truth is I was a little disappointed in the seeming lack of smoked flavor. I have had some other smoked brews that lend more towards tasting the wood. However, the beer was increadibly fresh and the hoppy finish was perfectly bitter sweet.

The mouth feel was light with out too much carbonation and the beer goes down well. Perhaps a bit a on the heavy side but during a cold winter day I could certainly drink a couple of these. Try it out. Another good beer from Stone for sure.

3.82/5  rDev -4.7%

This stuff is outstanding! Smell is, well, okay, but other than that, this is a super brew that should be sold in 6 packs. Smokey smell, sweet esthers, awesome head that leaves lacing all the way down the glass. Great drinkability, as it isn't too strong. The smell is too whiskyish, but tastes nothing like that. Has a nice robust coffee/chocolate flavor charged with a little beefy smoke. Nice brewski!

22oz. Bomber

Opened with a pfffttt...Poured in my pint glass a viscous black. Very dark. Some dark ruby tinting when held up to the light. A half inch tan head sits on top but fades fairly quickly to an even top coat. Lacing sticks as my glass is tilted but slowly slides back into the abyss that is the body of this beer.

The smell is filled with roasted malt goodness. Along with chocolate and a tiny bit of burnt grain. There is just a slight touch of smoke up front but to tell you the truth I don't think I'd be able to pick it up if I didn't know it was there. As it warms I can pick up the smoke more and more.

The taste is very close to perfect. Starts with a small burnt grain taste quickly taken over by the roasted malts and chocolate. I can't really taste the hops but they're in there. There is a nice bitterness from what tastes like a combonation of hops and darkly roasted malt. The smokiness is there faintly in the back throughout the drink. Very nicely done and balanced.

Mouthfeel is viscous but you could tell this from the pour. It's thick in my mouth but not coyingly so. Silky smooth but somehow a little chewy/gritty. I know that doesn't sound right but that's how it is. I really like the feel especially on a cold night like tonight.

For a smoked porter the drinkability is outstanding. The lower alcohol helps as to not be too big of a beer to drink a lot of.

Stone's Smoked Porter is one of my new favorite cold weather beers. I've always liked smoked porters but so far this is at the top of my list. Excellent example. Warms me up nicely. A must try.

Slainte!

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Stone Smoked Porter
22oz bomber
Recent brewing, ashed out 10/06
Medium pour in a pint glass.

Poured dark mahogony with a huge light brown fully lasting frothy head with excellent lacing.

Smelt of moderate mild chocolate, caramel, cola and molasses.

Taste was upfront moderate roasted bitterness and coffee with some sweet chocolate and burnt sugar tones and light piney hoppiness followed by a blend of strong smokiness, moderate sweet chocolate and cola, light piney hops bitterness on a long finish that reminds me of rootbeer or cola. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, creamy and silky, lively carbonated, and moderately astringent.

Overall, the beer looks great, smells good, and the taste is balanced to perfection and intensely complex on all its duration. Makes my neurons pop. Minor points off for slight lack of sweetness and weakness of aroma.

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

Thank You Kahn's of Indianapolis!!!
And of course runwayred for showing me the way ;).

Appearance- Great two and a half finger head with awesome retention. Decent lacing that slowly disappears after it sticks to the glass. A very deep garnet hue when held directly to the light and deep brown when held away from God's touch.

Smell- Not realy smokey for a "smoked" porter. More like a normal roasted malt profile you'd find in any other porter. Isn't waht I expected from a Stone product.

Taste- Coffee grounds to start with some more burnt like malts in the middle. The hops hit closer to the finish. Just a little general bitterness giving it a good baker's chocolate feel. The finish is a dark malt and toffee roasted over a campfire ending. Not too smooth.

Mouthfeel- A little thick, but does bring an overall pleasing sense to the tongue. Great palate of bitter brownies.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

22oz bomber bought at CityWide Liquors on grape road in mishawaka

appearance: poured into a snifter simply because i can....deep mahogany body, light garnet highlights, charred beige creamy head with only light lacing left behind

smell: dark bitter chocolate, cocoa powder, char, touch of smoke, big roasted malt aroma, mild hop sweetness provided

taste: good porter (as expected) from stone...smoky and earthy, big charred malt flavour, bitter dark chocolate, some sweet dark fruit comes through more in the flavour, smoky roasted mocha lingers in the finish, light molasses, a bit dry

mouthfeel: dry finish, medium body, light bitterness, strong roastyness

drinkability: good

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Poured into my Chalice with a 1 finger mocha head. Head disappeared quickly to a fine lace around the rim with a small island in the middle. Opaque dark chocolate with ruby highlights.

S: Chocolate, malt, with smoked oak barrel.

T: Sweet initially leaving a malty semi-dark chocolate, light bittery aftertaste.

M: Front of my tongue stings wth a zip of carbonation. Rapidly melts into a drinkable easily swallowed liquid.

D: Very drinkable with a very hidden alcohol level. I will be buying more of these and enjoying them more often.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz. brown bottle, no date information.

Deepest oxblood. Cascading tall head of small and medium espresso crema colored bubbles that quickly fades to a thick skim and a pillared collar. Splotches of chunky lace cling to the glass. No carbonation streams. Aromas of light smoke, sweet chocolate, and grape jelly rise. Modest smoke flavors meld with some bittersweet chocolate and a nice hop driven bitterness in the finish. The smoke fades into the background behind the chocolate notes while the finish lingers with a hoppy smokiness. Bittersweet to semi-sweet chocolate fills the medium body. Active carbonation adds a slight sandpaper feel. Easily drinkable, and I would like to see the smoked bumped up. This was a decent, but lightly smoked porter.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

appearance: poured from a 22 oz. bomber, dark brown w/ a 2 inch mocha head. The head fully lasted and left an excellent amount of lacing.

smell: as soon as you crack the bottle open a rush of smoky malt and dark chocholate hits your nose. Strong hint of coffee, molasses and sweet berries.

taste and mouthfeel: starts smoky sweet such as molasses, ends sort of tart like bitter chocolate leaving a long smoky bitter aftertaste, medium, watery, lively carbonated

drinkability: IMO very easy to drink, but could be too bitter or tart for some.

Overall, this porter rocks. Unlike alot of American Porters I love the smoke element Stone adds to this brew. It adds alot of character and bold flavors. I highly recommend this brew, you could easily become addicted to this brew. I am. Happy Drinking

4.33/5  rDev +8%

A- Dark... very dark. Almost black, but some light gets through giving it reddish brown highlights. Huge light coffee-colored head lingers for quite some time.

S- Dark malt with a touch of berry fruitiness. Smokiness is there, but quite subtle.

T- Fairly sweet up front with a rich fruitiness and dark chocolate. Roastiness makes it a tad astringent in the middle with some burnt flavors. Coffee and a subtle smokiness on the finish. Sweetness lingers throughout the brew and is joined by a medium bitterness at the end. Complex and delicious!

M- Smooth and creamy, carbonation is fairly low but just right for this beer.

D- Quite high. Low abv and addictive taste make this a very quaffable brew.

Another winner from Stone. Seriously, can they do any wrong? An extremely tasty brew with great drinkability, this one has everything going for it. Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

from a 22oz bottle from bevmo/LJ; slightly roasted chocolate nose with distinct woodsmoke odor.

taste is VERy smoky, the primary element, with the typical porter notes of roasted malt and some hint of chocolate being definitely secondary. that said, it isn't unbalanced and is quite enjoyable. There is less aftertaste than I would expect, mainly consisting of smokiness, rather than roasted malt or other normal porter elements.

Very nice beer, well worth seeking out.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

poured dark black with brown/ruby highlights. Quick rising head that faded into a large rocky "moon surface" look. At this point the beer reminds me of a glass of Coke (not a great thing IMO). After a light a whirl in my pint glass the head gets nice and creamy (much better!).

The nose is of weak chocolate, light smoke, dark ripe fruits.

Taste: chocolate hit me right away followed my a pleasant roasty smoke element, not an overpowering aspect at all. The smoke compliments the rest the malt in this beer instead of being too "in your face". The beer finishes with a coffee-like bitter bite followed by a tingly hop caress. This is a very good beer, especially around this time of year. The flavors seem to come with the season.

Mouthfeel is rich and full - especially a it warms. The carbonation is thick and prickly at first but fades a bit to give the beer more of a creamy texture. This porter is very similar in mouthfeel to many dry stouts I have enjoyed.

This beer is very drinkable, and pairs well with my kind of food; meat. Lots of flavors going on that keep you coming back. This has to be one of my favorite Stone releases and I'm sure glad it's available year-round.

If you haven't tried this one, give one a try soon. This is a great beer to start out with when venturing into smoked beer territory as well.

Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber--black center, ruddy amber overtones around the edges. The 2 finger head is beige and creamy, showing solid retention and big-bubbled lacing.

The aroma features roasted malt, coffee, and some mesquite wood. The falvor consists of plenty woody and smokey notes, some creamy caramel, chocolate, coffee, blackberry, and hops.

The mouth is full-bodied, slighty creamy and chocolatey in the middle, then finishes dry and smokey with a hint of bitterness. The bite on the aftertaste was a bit much for my palate.

Overall a solid beer, though not one that burns down the house. However, I would drink it again without any arm twisting.

3.12/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a slightly chilled 22 oz. bottle into a Ename chalice, the Smoked Porter was midnight black with a thin tan head which left only slight lace. This was my first smoked beer, and although I have heard good things, I was a bit skeptical. Furthermore, I should say that I'm generally not a big fan of Porters. The aroma was extremely sweet, with flavors of caramel and malt but no smoke, and was not very appealing to me. The taste however was much more balanced and a pleasant surprise. It was a bit sweet, but not nearly as much as the aroma would lead you to believe. There was a definite smoky taste, that if anything was more subtle then overwhelming. The main story here was the richness of the malt, which the smoke did a fine job of balancing out, making this porter much more enjoyable to me then they normally are. However, there was a fairly strong alcohol taste for only 5.9% ABV. The mouthfeel was rich and a bit syrupy from all the malt, but the balance provided by the smoke made this a drinkable porter worth checking out.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Ebony with a head. A big brown head. Then lacing. Nice.

Smell: Coffee and just a trace of smoke.

Taste: Coffee, more smoke, and caramel. Little bitterness on the backside. Licorice kicks in about 5 minutes later.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth.

Drinkability: Had this with a plate of a sausage/potato medly my girlfriend made for me because she loves me. It was a great match. The time of year where I can enjoy beers like this has arrived, and I say it's about time.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%

Very roasty malt aroma that is pretty much like a regular porter. I don't get a lot of smoke in the nose. I get a little bit of spicey hop and lots of roasted malt. Some fruity fermentation esters too.

Very dark with red highlights when held up to bright light. Nice frothy and lasting tan head with lots of lacing.

Very malty and a little sweet. Not a lot of roast malt flavor that I would expect out of a porter. There's some, but it's got so much base malt sweetness that it seems lacking. The smoke component definitely comes through in the aftertaste. Hop bitterness is very restrained and there is little hop flavor. Basically, I find myself wanting either more roast malt, like a robust porter, or more smoke flavor. This is a malt dominant flavor profile.

Medium full bodied with very good carbonation.

I really do like this beer and I will drink it again. But I want more character in a smoked beer and in a porter. For Stone, makers of so many big and tasty beers, this seems tame and not ballsy enough in the flavors.

Pours very dark brown. fluffy tan head, with decent retention,and some lacing.Smell is of roasted malts, with some hops in the mix. Body is light to medium. Not much carbionation. Taste is smooth, and rich. Smokey, with some well balanced mix of malts and hops. Nice sharp finish. Good stuff!!

4.13/5  rDev +3%

On tap at Old Chicago Downtown Denver.

Nice dark color with tight thick head. Sublte smokey aroma with a smooth balanced malty flavor. A great find on tap, very drinkable. Stopped in after GABF Saturday session, I hope it's still on after the weekend festivities.

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Dark brown with about a finger of light... very light tan head that dissapated shortley after arrival. There was some inconsistent lacing. I've seen much better.

Smell: I found the hops overpowered most of the nose, but there were the classic porter aromas of the roasted malts.

Taste: The only thing that made this beer interesting enough to score above average was the hoppiness. Otherwise, it's kinda lacking dimension and boldness.

Mouthfeel: The smokiness is inconsistent and the bitterness is largely derived from the hops with less of a sense of roasted malts.

Drinkability: Although it wasn't the best porter I've had, or close to it, it wasn't bad. However, with all the better options in the world, I will probably never have this again.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.