Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

1.4/5  rDev -65.1%

Wow this was terrible. Looked ok, not much aroma, mild roast little hint of smoke. Taste like a 6% black ipa, piney grapefruit. The bottle listed several flavors that were not present. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, not pleasant.

Rating this to the black IPA style it would be average. I don't know how this is called a porter, no roast, no chocolate, no coffee, no caramel, no porter characteristics at all. This is my second bad purchase from Wegemans Malvern in the last 2 weeks, have to stop going there.

What a disappointment, my first from Stone. Lousy beer. Don't know wtf happened here. Waste of money.

1.46/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Black with ht browhe edges of the beer
Smell- Malty with a slight smoky aroma
Taste- Where is the smokey part? Tastes like hoppy beer to me. and I did not find anything else
Moutfeel- Stingy and terrible
Overall- I am not a fan of this type of beers and basically tasted llike old Guiness beerr and no smoked flavor in it. SHould save my money!

1.5/5  rDev -62.6%

1.52/5  rDev -62.1%

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

1.93/5  rDev -51.9%

24 oz bottle poured into a glass. No date or code discernible.
A- Mostly black with a slight brownish tinge around the edges.
S- Mostly malty with a slight smoky aroma
T- Is this supposed to be the smokey part? Tastes like hops to me. And nothing else.
M- Average
D- What am I missing here? Is this an old bottle? I am not a fan of hoppy beers and that all this basically tastes like to me, nothing at all like a porter and no smoked flavor either. Very disappointing.

Pretty bland, not a whole lot of interesting characteristics. Considering it is made by Stone, you kinda sip down wondering if you're just missing something, expecting it to maybe come out a bit more as it warms, but it never happens. This might be one of the most "meh" beers I have ever had and by far the worst Stone. Tastes more like Miller or Budweiser attempted to make C.D.A.

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

2.3/5  rDev -42.6%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.