Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,993 | Reviews: 1,804
3.4/5  rDev -15%

I am definitely on a Stone kick at the moment. For good reason though – they make great beer. Here we have their Smoked Porter, which I haven’t really heard about. I have high expectations for it, though, due to the fact that Stone makes my favorite brews (and because it was $7+ for the bomber). Here it goes:

A: Dark coffee brown. A hint of light comes through, showing amber undertones. A thick, dark tan head rises large, covering a good 3+ fingers off the pour. Sticky lacing stays all around the glass to the last drink.

S: Surprisingly fruity – something cooked, though, like a baked apple. Sweet caramel and chocolate dominate the nose after, giving this stout an inviting presence even before the first drink.

T: Hmmmm. Much different than the nose. The yeasty breads are what hit you first, giving that chewy biscuit tone. This sets the stage for a big, smoky hit of roasted malts. This is where it falls short, in my opinion. The smokiness is there, but restrained (especially when you consider that this is called “Smoked Porter”). Chocolate and milky mocha tones soon take charge, leaving the smoke of the palate as relatively forgettable. The fruit that I felt in the nose comes in the form of the hoppy finish – hints of candied grapes and apples (and all things caramelized, for that matter). Not bad, but not great.

M: To be honest, it’s a bit watery for a porter. Maybe it’s because it’s 5.9% ABV, but its thin nature doesn’t sit well with me. It’s not terrible – I would have expected better from the Stone boys, though.

O: Well, it’s my least favorite Stone offering so far – that’s not to say it’s a terrible beer, though. Comparing Stone beers is like comparing the Indiana Jones movies: they’re all good in their own special way, but still, some are just not great. For now, I’ll stick to IRS and Oaked AB for my Stone brews of choice.

3.4/5  rDev -15%

Pours from the bomber a nice medium black color, with some decent light brown foam on top. Aromas of smoke, roasted malt and dark chocolate. Some dark fruits on the palate, maybe cherries, figs and plums, along with the ever present smoke. Solid, but not my favorite.

3.4/5  rDev -15%

If you are expecting the smokiness of a rauchbier you will be disappointed. This is your basic porter, with a hint of smokiness. The smokiness is there, but it is quite subdued.

It was tasty, and I'd certainly drink it again, but it was neither my favorite porter nor a particularly smoky beer.

3.4/5  rDev -15%

I always feel like Flavor Flav whenever I review a beer from Stone, as I continually want to shout, "Don't believe the hype!" Now, mind you, I'm not opposed to Stone and the things they brew, I'm just not a card-carrying member of the "Stone = Great Beer" club. I'm a Doubting Knuckles, or some damn thing. What I continually find is that they brew some very decent beers, but try as I might, I just don't love them (although I will admit to liking the RIS, and want to cellar a bottle at some point). The Smoked Porter is yet another one of those beers that I wanted to like, but ultimately found lacking.

It suffers greatly, in my opinion, from the fact that most beer drinkers are going to compare it to the Alaskan Smoked Porter. And if they do, they will be sorely disappointed. This beer is a much more traditional porter in terms of color, ABV, and flavor profile than the AK.

Appearance: Held up to the light, this beer is a gorgeous, deep ruby (note to self: come up with a different color than 'ruby'. You use it to goddam much.), and pours with the always popular espresso creme head. I get about three fingers of foam, that linger for about ten minutes or so, and then slowly fade away. My only real complaint with the beer is that it is filtered. Don't axe me why, but I do love the look of an unfiltered porter. It makes me feel so Victorian.

Smell: The nose is actually the only place I get any hint of smoke, and it is very, very pleasant. Starts off with a deep, malty nose, and then finishes up smoky. Very nice.

Taste: As a smoked porter (and actually, as a porter), this one really drops the ball in my opinion. I was actually a little surprised by it, as it was a fairly one-note beer. The peat smoke that is supposed to be prominent was almost non-existent in this bottle, and contrary to it's 5.9% ABV, it had an incredibly malty palate. Once it warmed up it got a little smokier, but not nearly enough for me.

Mouthfeel: Again, somewhat in contrast to the maltiness of the beer itself, it was rather thin in mouthfeel. I wanted it to be a little richer in texture to balance out the flavors, and it just wasn't.

Drinkability: Honest, I really want to find a Stone beer that I like so I can write really nice things about it, if only to give the impression that I'm not a blanket Stone hata. But the sad truth is (so far, anyway), that for my palate, their beers lack balance. That lack of balance seriously affects the drinkability in my opinion, and this beer is no exception to that rule. It is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but not one that I will probably seek out again.

3.4/5  rDev -15%

Smoke is an odd smell in beers. They come off as a strong sour note at the top without much sweetness. Clear alcohol notes are in there. The roasted malt is there at the finish, Perhaps a touch of liquorish with a hint of coffee in the nose. I want to say vanilla and chocolate but I don't think those are in there. I'm mostly picking up the alcohol, smoke, liquorish, and some coffee.

Pours brown, turns black in the glass, with good head, great retention, and just enough body. Impressive to say the least.

Beers like this make me wish I knew more from those taste wheels. The malt isn't sweet or sour, the flavor hits the front of the tongue which indicates not sour, but the smoke is clearly a very unique flavor for the malt. Clear notes of chocolate (very much on the dark bitter bakers chocolate side, even more than most), coffee. There isn't any sweet notes in this beer. I think it would be amazing with sweeter foods, but I have nothing like that to try with it. I can vouch form past experience that this stuff is just amazing with roast chicken and BBQ. A rare thing with beer is that imo this is far better with food than by itself. I highly recommend pairing this with food.

Great carbonation gives this beer a lot of drink ability and a creamy mouth feel. That said it's a touch to thin all things considered.

I think stone for this very "unstone like" beer. It's a very different porter and a truly interesting experience. Scored as an alone drink and not as something to pair with food. Scores would go up in taste to with the right pairing. By itself this is very interesting but doesn't rank that highly.

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1 inch head. Good lacing throughout. Smell is rather mild, some roasted malts. Taste is good, malts, some smokiness, a bit of coffee coming through. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer.

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

750 ml bottle ive had around for a little while, time to finally crack this baby open.

A- pours a clear black with a copper red hue through the glass, tufts of brown head on top, built up an inch or so on the pour and left wet thin lacing down the glass.

S- not a fan of this smell, its malty, not much hops (slightly sweet), but it doesnt smell chocolaty very much. has a bit of roasted character, but its relatively weak and not all that impressive.

T- heres a good smooth porter that reminds you of how porters came around. smooth light and clean. chocolatey malty body. not very strong flavor, but solid.

M- light body, light carbonation, pretty smooth all over, slightly creamy body

D- pretty good, idk a little underwhelmed, some of their other stuff is alot better. maybe im just spoiled by having had so much of black hawk porter and smoke on the porter recently

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

tasted on 9.22.08 at home watching Brett Favre throw a million interceptions on Monday Night Football.

served in wide mouth glass. great dark brown color, almost black. the head was nice and thick with a beautiful tan color and active bubbly head. head stuck around for a while and also left a nice lacing on the edge of the glass that looked like the mountainous skyline of Colorado.

Smell is less than I expected. you can easily discern the roasted malts with a hint of chocolate. aside from that, there wasn't much else there.

nice crisp taste up front. tingles the mouth a bit. the dark malt comes through with a bit of an alcoholy taste, on the thin side. the smoke flavor is very mild, almost too mild to call itself a smoked porter. but the balance is great.

mouthfeel is nice - a bit thin, but gets better as you drink more of it and your mouth gets more or less coated.

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a 16oz Tulip.

A - Jet black..with a 3 finger beige head.

S - not getting too much off this...maybe a little coffee and chocolate...slight smoke.

T - much improvement since the nose. woody,bonfire,slight coffee and dark chocolate. mild bittering hops in the finish but diluted quick by rich malt and coffee like taste. bitterness slighhhtly sticks around but barely. maybe some dark fruit as well.

M - id give this a medium mouthfeel...lightly carbonated. ive had several ipas and dipas that are a lot creamier than this...you wouldnt guess this by the look of this beer.

Overall...this is a sipper and just try to enjoy it.... the smokyness is a really cool part of this beer and stone did it well...(yet again). get around a bonfire with a few friends and split a bomber. good and easy drinking.

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%

22oz bottle, purchased somewhere in Boston for $5. Consumed during the month of its best before date. Pours very dark with minimal head. Nice lacing though. All malt aroma of medium strength. The first sip gives an initial peppery sensation. The peppery sensation remains throughout. Nice malty flavours, with some coffee tastes thrown in the mix.

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

722 reviews as of this writing. the bottle script has a fun story of this beer not being for everyone and they're fine with that. I guess this puts me in the not quite my type of beer category. a 22oz of this is too much smoke for my taste buds. I'd be curious to try it again at a real barbeque house but otherwise I'll step back and leave it for the real fans. cheers.

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

Out of a bottle, the beer's appearance was very dark with minimal head. The aroma consisted of malts of the chocolate variety. I really couldn't smell a smoked aroma to the beer. The taste was surprisingly bland for a porter. I did not detect any smoked flavors. It did have a decent hop to it, but nothing out of the ordinary. As for the drinkability, given that is essentially vague, one could have three of these beers before realizing it was time to move on. In my opinion, the beer got better and better as I got deeper into the bottle. I wouldn't seek this beer out, but if it was offered to me, I would not turn it down.

3.44/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Browish red.

Smells more stale than smoky. Like TCA cork taint in wine. (But let's assume it's not that in a crown capped 22oz bottle.)

Taste - meh. Nice bitterness. Not especially intense or interesting. Just on the edge of not wholesome. Not especially smoky.

Mouthfeel is fine. Not espcially rich. Nothing wrong with it.

Overall - tolerable but not worth buying again.

**Much better draft. Closer to a 4.0 beer**

3.44/5  rDev -14%

I poured a 22 ounce bomber into a standard pint glass. It pours dark with a medium sized white head. The head leaves quickly with minimal lacing. The smell, while not bad, is disapointing. A heavy malt sweetness is the most powerfull scent, with a minimal amount of smokiness. The same can be said for the taste, nice malty flavors, with a miniml smoke aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied with above average carbonation, not crazy-just slightly more than average, and is quite drinkable. Not a bad beer, but a disapointing one. The smoke element was underwhelming. An enjoyable porter, just not much of a smoked porter.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%

I was really dissapointed with this porter from Stone. While it poured black in color and had some tan foam, the flavor was not what I expected. The smell of roasted malts were very appearent along with the hint of smoke. But, the flavor was not what I was exspecting from stone. The flavor lacked depth. The roasted malts and smoke flavor just wasn't powerful enough. It was just an average porter. I could taste the bitterness, but the flavor was lacking in every aspect of this porter.

This has made two of there latest beers that I have really been dissapoint with. The 7th anniversay and now their porter.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good smoked porter not the best I have had

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%

Bomber into a Goose Island nonic.

A: Not-quite opaque brown body forms a very thin tan head that leaves a fine ring as it settles. Not terribly carbonated.

S: The scent leaves me a little disappointed. I catch just a faint whiff of smoke, and some dark malt bitterness. There's some hoppy bite, but it's indistinct. The chocolate/coffee notes are quite subtle, as the bottle indicates.

T: Taste trumps the nose. Nice musty, malty porter profile, with the usual tastes of chocolate, caramel, etc. The smoke is noticeable, but subdued--this is a good intro smoke beer for lots of people who find Schlenkerla too much, which is lots of folks. The bite is split nicely between hop and malt bitterness. The smoke, along with some coffee flavor, comes out late in the sip.

M: Appropriate mouthfeel to a porter. Not too carbonated, enough chewy body. Just right, for the style.

D: It's easy to drink, but not particularly memorable. As earlier, a great intro to smoked beers, but it's not very smoky. A pretty good value for what it is, but not particularly distinguished.

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color, and has a thin tan head. The head leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - The smell is quite smokey. There are also some roasted malts and hops present. I am also getting just a bit of coffee and chocolate notes as well.

T - The taste is better than the nose suggests. There is quite a bit of roasted malts present. There are also notes of caramel, vanilla, coffee, and a light amount of smoke. The aftertaste is smokey and slightly hoppy.

M - This has a medium body and medium-low carbonation. I think this is a good mouthfeel for a porter.

D - This has pretty good drinkability. It goes down fairly easy, and is a decent porter. It is not my favorite of the style, but I think it's pretty good.

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%

Stone's Smoked Porter pours a filtered clear black body with ruby highlights and an off white head that leaves good lacing.

The aroma is smoked and charred malt, chocolate, and not really any hop presence.

The flavor is roasty and slightly sweet, some acidic character from the roast, smokey. Hop presence is minimal to light for a Stone brew, but that isn't a completely bad thing.

Mouthfeel is substantial but certainly not full. Carbonation seems just fine on the moderate side.

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Some thoughts... #1 I love me some Stone... poured from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter (and my wife's stemless wineglass, as we are talking about a dark beer here!). The appearance of this brew was fascinating... a deep black at the top of the glass, with a rich, translucent scarlet around the bottom of the glass. About a finger of a tan head which dissipated quickly. The aroma was overpowered by smoke, with some deep malt coming through as well. Taste was again overpopwered by smoke, with some dark fruit and malt undertones. Mouthfeel was smooth and enjoyable. Though this was definitely overpowered by the smoke (duh asshole, it is called smoked porter...), it chilled out as the glass warmed. Though it is somewhat like drinking a porter in a smoky room, at least it was more like yummy smoking meat smoke, as opposed to smoky bar smoke. Probably won't seek it out, yet intrigued by the chile pepper and vanilla variants. Worth a try if you like your beers dark.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bomber served into a Trappistes Rochefort chalice

Pours a Pepsi Cola brown that is substantially lighter around the edges. Not much size to the off-white foam. Lacing is spotty at best. Pretty average looking porter.

This doesn't smell like a porter, not really. Lots of sweet, caramel scents. Not too much roastiness at all. The smoke is very light compared to other smoked porters I've had. There is a very nice nutty quality -- like pecans -- that helps the score for aroma.

The most noticeable thing about this beer? The amount of smoke is very, very light! I'm used to getting pints of O'Fallon Smoked Porter, which is so smoky that it is practically barbecued beer. Stone's offering in the category is subtle. The smoky quality sticks out only on the finish. Before that ashy finish is a pretty standard porter. Roasted coffee flavors meet some light raisin.

Decent mouthfeel. Its kind of light, but I'm not convinced that a more substantial body would improve anything. Drinkability is pretty ok. It is held back by the super-drying nature of the beer. This one has to be paired with food that has some moistness to it, be it meat or cake.

You can say that I was disappointed by this smoked porter. The smoke is not a focal point and the porter backbone is not impressive. I'm glad to have tried it but I don't see myself buying this if it were available in my area.

3.48/5  rDev -13%

22oz Bottle poured into english pint glass. Beautiful dark brown with ruby highlights that you can actually see light through towards the bottom of the glass. Large head with good lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, alcohol and a little smoke. Taste is a little more smoke, hops, coffee, roasted malts. Very good porter.

3.48/5  rDev -13%

I guess I associate stone with over-the-top hopped beers. And I like them. I also always look forward to their RIS release in spring. For some reason, I've never had their smoked porter, so I was eager to check it out. Over all, it's a good brew, a little lighter than I thought it would be, but a good brew. The smoke flavor is very light, I think the first thing I noticed about it was the strong hop flavor for a porter. I guess Stone just can't resist hops. I would have liked this one more if it was more roasty and less hoppy, but it does go down easy.

650ml bottle.

It pours a nice dark brown with some reddish hues, the head is thick and foamy. The head is slightly tan. It holds for a bit then recedes to some pretty nice lacing.

It smells like an IPA with some brown sugar thrown in, Stone loves their hops huh. There is a hint of roastiness but much less than expected.

The flavor isn't hoppy bitter, but it has a considerable amount of hop flavor. There is also a hint of smokiness and some caramel sweetness.

It is a bit mixed up but overall it is a decent brew.

3.48/5  rDev -13%

Presentation was poured from a bomber into a glass in two parts. Beer was dark brown to black in the middle with dark red to auburn on the outside. There was a two finger tan head head with little retention. The aroma was notes of smoke and a weak coffee aroma. Taste hit hard with strong smoke, but the other flavors lagged behind somewhat. The coffee and chocolate notes were weak and made the smoke too heavy. Unbalanced. Mouthfeel was full and chewy. Drinkability was good due to the ABV and the lighter than expected flavor.

Overall, a good porter, but somewhat unbalanced due to the overly heavy smoke flavor.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.