1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,292 | Reviews: 1,724 | Show All Ratings:
rtratzlaff

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

Stone's Smoked Porter pours a filtered clear black body with ruby highlights and an off white head that leaves good lacing.

The aroma is smoked and charred malt, chocolate, and not really any hop presence.

The flavor is roasty and slightly sweet, some acidic character from the roast, smokey. Hop presence is minimal to light for a Stone brew, but that isn't a completely bad thing.

Mouthfeel is substantial but certainly not full. Carbonation seems just fine on the moderate side.

01-29-2010 22:12:32 | More by rtratzlaff
Glennlawless

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a 16oz Tulip.

A - Jet black..with a 3 finger beige head.

S - not getting too much off this...maybe a little coffee and chocolate...slight smoke.

T - much improvement since the nose. woody,bonfire,slight coffee and dark chocolate. mild bittering hops in the finish but diluted quick by rich malt and coffee like taste. bitterness slighhhtly sticks around but barely. maybe some dark fruit as well.

M - id give this a medium mouthfeel...lightly carbonated. ive had several ipas and dipas that are a lot creamier than this...you wouldnt guess this by the look of this beer.

Overall...this is a sipper and just try to enjoy it.... the smokyness is a really cool part of this beer and stone did it well...(yet again). get around a bonfire with a few friends and split a bomber. good and easy drinking.

10-13-2013 03:52:14 | More by Glennlawless
rugger

Arkansas

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

For a Stone beer it was not what I was expecting, however for a porter it was very good, however it was really nothing special. It was overall to style, but the smoke flavor was lacking and I just expected more from a beer made by Stone. I would definately recommend this to a porter lover, however I would not suggest this to a person that just liked beer. I enjoy the flag porter, or Samuel Smith's porter more, even if they are different types of porters.
Good job to Stone, but again not a big outlandish beer that I would expect from Stone.

06-29-2004 17:17:50 | More by rugger
pwoods

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

22oz. Bomber from Party Source poured into a pint glass.

A: 2finger+ Tan head. Good retention and lacing. Pours pitch black letting no light through.

S: Actually kinda citrusy. Some plum/fig notes. Nice and sweet smelling smoke. Reminds me of my smoker filled with hardwood chips soaked in cider.

T/M: BIG smokey malts! Hops are there but are mostly dominated by the smoke. Tasty but probably a little extreme for me. More dark fruits add a touch of sweetness. Body isn't nearly as heavy as I had thought it to be. Getting some slight sourness at the finish.

D: As I said before, it's probably a little too extreme yet for me but I can appreciate it for what it is. Would work good sipping during a winter movie night. This bomber will be enough. I'll try this again around jan. 2009 and see what I think then.

09-25-2007 02:18:11 | More by pwoods
bonkers

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

I poured a 22 ounce bomber into a standard pint glass. It pours dark with a medium sized white head. The head leaves quickly with minimal lacing. The smell, while not bad, is disapointing. A heavy malt sweetness is the most powerfull scent, with a minimal amount of smokiness. The same can be said for the taste, nice malty flavors, with a miniml smoke aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied with above average carbonation, not crazy-just slightly more than average, and is quite drinkable. Not a bad beer, but a disapointing one. The smoke element was underwhelming. An enjoyable porter, just not much of a smoked porter.

11-08-2008 19:35:44 | More by bonkers
Reaper16

Alabama

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bomber served into a Trappistes Rochefort chalice

Pours a Pepsi Cola brown that is substantially lighter around the edges. Not much size to the off-white foam. Lacing is spotty at best. Pretty average looking porter.

This doesn't smell like a porter, not really. Lots of sweet, caramel scents. Not too much roastiness at all. The smoke is very light compared to other smoked porters I've had. There is a very nice nutty quality -- like pecans -- that helps the score for aroma.

The most noticeable thing about this beer? The amount of smoke is very, very light! I'm used to getting pints of O'Fallon Smoked Porter, which is so smoky that it is practically barbecued beer. Stone's offering in the category is subtle. The smoky quality sticks out only on the finish. Before that ashy finish is a pretty standard porter. Roasted coffee flavors meet some light raisin.

Decent mouthfeel. Its kind of light, but I'm not convinced that a more substantial body would improve anything. Drinkability is pretty ok. It is held back by the super-drying nature of the beer. This one has to be paired with food that has some moistness to it, be it meat or cake.

You can say that I was disappointed by this smoked porter. The smoke is not a focal point and the porter backbone is not impressive. I'm glad to have tried it but I don't see myself buying this if it were available in my area.

12-30-2009 04:39:48 | More by Reaper16
acurtis

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

22oz Bottle poured into english pint glass. Beautiful dark brown with ruby highlights that you can actually see light through towards the bottom of the glass. Large head with good lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, alcohol and a little smoke. Taste is a little more smoke, hops, coffee, roasted malts. Very good porter.

10-21-2010 21:06:19 | More by acurtis
crossovert

650ml bottle.

It pours a nice dark brown with some reddish hues, the head is thick and foamy. The head is slightly tan. It holds for a bit then recedes to some pretty nice lacing.

It smells like an IPA with some brown sugar thrown in, Stone loves their hops huh. There is a hint of roastiness but much less than expected.

The flavor isn't hoppy bitter, but it has a considerable amount of hop flavor. There is also a hint of smokiness and some caramel sweetness.

It is a bit mixed up but overall it is a decent brew.

10-23-2010 04:22:19 | More by crossovert
wschmit

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Bomber into a Goose Island nonic.

A: Not-quite opaque brown body forms a very thin tan head that leaves a fine ring as it settles. Not terribly carbonated.

S: The scent leaves me a little disappointed. I catch just a faint whiff of smoke, and some dark malt bitterness. There's some hoppy bite, but it's indistinct. The chocolate/coffee notes are quite subtle, as the bottle indicates.

T: Taste trumps the nose. Nice musty, malty porter profile, with the usual tastes of chocolate, caramel, etc. The smoke is noticeable, but subdued--this is a good intro smoke beer for lots of people who find Schlenkerla too much, which is lots of folks. The bite is split nicely between hop and malt bitterness. The smoke, along with some coffee flavor, comes out late in the sip.

M: Appropriate mouthfeel to a porter. Not too carbonated, enough chewy body. Just right, for the style.

D: It's easy to drink, but not particularly memorable. As earlier, a great intro to smoked beers, but it's not very smoky. A pretty good value for what it is, but not particularly distinguished.

11-19-2010 04:49:30 | More by wschmit
JizackFH

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color, and has a thin tan head. The head leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - The smell is quite smokey. There are also some roasted malts and hops present. I am also getting just a bit of coffee and chocolate notes as well.

T - The taste is better than the nose suggests. There is quite a bit of roasted malts present. There are also notes of caramel, vanilla, coffee, and a light amount of smoke. The aftertaste is smokey and slightly hoppy.

M - This has a medium body and medium-low carbonation. I think this is a good mouthfeel for a porter.

D - This has pretty good drinkability. It goes down fairly easy, and is a decent porter. It is not my favorite of the style, but I think it's pretty good.

12-21-2010 09:32:48 | More by JizackFH
sprucetip

Alaska

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

From notes. Dark brown with red highlights when backlit. Fluffy light tan head, with good retention, and active. Leaves thick lacing early, but it washes away.

Lightly roasty and vaguely of coffee and toffee. Not especially strong. There is a bit of malty sweetness. Not much in the way of smoke. Some complexity and subtleness, but overall I'm left underwhelmed.

Roasty bitterness noticeable early, and it tastes charred more than smoky of roasty. Malt bill struggles to be noticed. Astringency is prominent. ...later some chocolate and dark fruit emerge.

Fizzy bite lingers, thin feeling medium body, some creaminess in the middle, and a lingering charred bitterness.

I am pretty sure I liked this more when I have had it previously, as I recall liking it better than I liked this sample. So I won't give up on it. But it just didn't seem to hit too many spots tonight. The bitterness was more than I recalled, and it didn't seem to have the rich malty body I was hoping for. ...But I could be spoiled by Alaskan's Smoked Porter...

02-22-2011 19:21:45 | More by sprucetip
winomark

Missouri

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Nice dark brown hue with a small, frosty white head.

Aroma: Smoky malt and hops. Coffee and mocha also present.

Taste: Smoke and coffee throughout, with a hoppy dryness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but dry. Coffee and chocolate give it good body.

Drinkability: Stronger than most porters I have had, but still a great interpretation. Will try again when I can.

10-31-2003 15:40:47 | More by winomark
phishgator

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Probably my least favorite offering by this great brewery. the appearance in my tumbler is impressive, but that's about where it stops. Not a bad brew by any stretch; just not a favor to my liking. The body seems too thin. The aroma is a pleasant burnt, cloyiness that is not very pungent. This is the second time I have had this and the taste didn't differ.

09-07-2005 20:08:27 | More by phishgator
BlindPig

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance- ½ in light mocha color head. Dark black with brown edges. Head fades at medium pace. Nice lacing and cant see carbonation due to its so dark.

Smell- Stronger scent. Maybe smoke with lots of malts, and light hops?

Taste- Smokey aftertaste with a light bitterness to it but not much. Malty, don’t know what flavor that I’m tasting (after reading others reviews on BA it made sense and I tasted it that it’s a light coffee taste). Can taste the smokiness though especially when it warms up comes out pretty strong and in aftertaste. Not to hoppy I believe. There’s a light bitterness to it probably from the hops coming through. Flavors come out more when it warms.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with light carbonation but it is there as a light bite at first.

Drinkabilty- Wish I could tell what the taste is (found out it is probably coffee), tastes familiar. It’s better the more I drank. This did make me want to try more porters. Was kind of glad when it was over

07-15-2006 07:21:11 | More by BlindPig
guzzle211

22 oz bomber poured into imperial pint glass

A- half-intensity pour created a nice one-plus finger head. Velvety black appearance, light barely penetrates but creates a deep maroon color.
S- chocolate dominates at first, but not too sweet. hazlenut, mocha subtle after it warms a little.
T/M- a little sweet, gets more complex as it warms. i didnt taste the coffee as strong as everyone else seemed to, i would call it more of a light hint of mocha vs. coffee. thick in the mouth (and belly,) even with a lot of carbonation.
D- after-dinner, one per session. not my type of porter (i would rather have one i can drink as an appetizer or with steak, instead of dessert) but for its style this is very well-crafted and thought out.

07-20-2006 14:44:37 | More by guzzle211
czechsaaz

Washington

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Very roasty malt aroma that is pretty much like a regular porter. I don't get a lot of smoke in the nose. I get a little bit of spicey hop and lots of roasted malt. Some fruity fermentation esters too.

Very dark with red highlights when held up to bright light. Nice frothy and lasting tan head with lots of lacing.

Very malty and a little sweet. Not a lot of roast malt flavor that I would expect out of a porter. There's some, but it's got so much base malt sweetness that it seems lacking. The smoke component definitely comes through in the aftertaste. Hop bitterness is very restrained and there is little hop flavor. Basically, I find myself wanting either more roast malt, like a robust porter, or more smoke flavor. This is a malt dominant flavor profile.

Medium full bodied with very good carbonation.

I really do like this beer and I will drink it again. But I want more character in a smoked beer and in a porter. For Stone, makers of so many big and tasty beers, this seems tame and not ballsy enough in the flavors.

10-03-2006 06:26:37 | More by czechsaaz
Damian

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank on-tap at Deep Ellum, Allston, MA

Poured a deep brown/black with a two-finger, bubbly, cocoa-colored head that slowly faded to a thick ring of lace. Large, irregular-shaped patches of lacing coated the glass.

Aroma was was quite subtle at first but became somewhat more noticeable as the beer warmed. Dark malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee beans came through in the nose.

Taste was rather mild and tame. The beer was somewhat sharp up front (I believe this was due to the alcohol) before the roasted malts, bitter espresso and hints of dark chocolate became apparent. By mid-palate the hops kicked in and lasted well into the finish, where they became quite strong. The lingering aftertaste consisted of a mix of roasted malts and a moderate smokiness.

Mouthfeel was rather thin (yet creamy) and the body was fairly light for the style.

I expected more in general from this beer (more intensity, more complexity and more body). Overall, this was a disappointment.

02-14-2007 05:28:46 | More by Damian
Cascadia

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

I guess I associate stone with over-the-top hopped beers. And I like them. I also always look forward to their RIS release in spring. For some reason, I've never had their smoked porter, so I was eager to check it out. Over all, it's a good brew, a little lighter than I thought it would be, but a good brew. The smoke flavor is very light, I think the first thing I noticed about it was the strong hop flavor for a porter. I guess Stone just can't resist hops. I would have liked this one more if it was more roasty and less hoppy, but it does go down easy.

06-19-2007 01:40:36 | More by Cascadia
Faulconerbrewing

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: It poured a very dark brownish/black color that some reddish tints when held up to the light. A nice dark tan head formed and left a lace of foam on the glass.

Smell: As soon as I poured it into the glass, I could smell the smoked malt. That pretty much drowned everything else out and that was all I could smell. I might have served this beer a little too cold which would mask some of the flavors. I'll have to revisit this one.

Taste: The smoked malt was the most prevelant and obvious flavor given the name of the beer. I though Stone did a good job of still have the "regular" malt flavor come through and mix with the smoked, but the smoked flavor overpowered anything else.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was the first thing that I noticed. It was very smooth and didn't overpower like i was expecting after the first sip. It was gone as quick as it came in.

Drinkability: Overall, I think this is a good beer. Something I'll probably keep in my fridge, but possibly in small quantities. The smoked flavor started to bother me a little towards the end of the beer. I think I could enjoy one or two of these in a session and then have to move on. I started to think about an odd analogy for this...so here it is...but i warned you, it's odd. It's like when you meet this hot girl who smokes. The sex will probably be great, but she'll taste like an ashtray...I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Hey....at least you got laid!! :-)

02-22-2008 21:02:38 | More by Faulconerbrewing
JRed

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

A pretty good smoked porter. By looks alone it may seem as scary as the gargoyle on the front of the bottle but upon first sip you realize that this brew may not be as aggressive as it seems. Although malty, the taste is a little on the bland side but that isn't a terrible thing. Because the taste is so acceptable it makes for a great mouthfeel. You don't ever get the urge to just drink this fast. This beer doesn't attack you, it's much more like a neutral country allowing the invading army to pass through to get to the real battles. Highly drinkable over a period of time and smokey enough to enjoy; the only downfall lies in the unexpected knockout punch that never comes. This is just another example of thinking your opponent hits harder than you do but comes up short.

07-13-2008 03:39:57 | More by JRed
OlieIPA

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Enjoyed a pint of this with my good buddy PatronWizard at the Yardhouse in Chino Hills. Review is from notes taken at this establishment.

A: Dark-brown hue with hints of ruby red, probably caused by the piercing light that penetrated my glass. Also exhibited a thick and appetizing beige head.

S: Really subtle, which made it hard to pinpoint anything in particular other than dark and brown malts.

T: A distinct burnt taste with dark malts. A lot of my friends pick up that BBQ smokiness, but its much more subtle than what I thought it would have been.

M: Lighter than most porters I've had; medium body and light on the carbonation side.

D: Easy to drink...no hint of alcohol at all. Perfect for a get together with friends and family.

Overall: A worthy to good beer on the BA scale. Will probably enjoy again, but not the first thing I will look for on a beer list.

11-21-2008 07:00:58 | More by OlieIPA
wiseguy142

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a pretty nice translucent brown with a minimal tan head and good lacing. Aroma is pretty light an airy, with only a little bit coming from the smoke. I'd say the best thing about this beer is the blend of the smoke with the roasted malt. It's very subtle, though and I think they could make it a lot more noticeable. Pretty easy to drink but the water quality doesn't quite fit in with the taste of the beer. This beer got a lot of hype and it's decent but if it wasn't in a big Stone bottle I probably wouldn't think much of it.

11-23-2008 02:51:57 | More by wiseguy142
asabreed

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Bomber into a Brooklyn snifter.

Appearance: A near-opaque blackness with bursts of deep red at the bottom of the glass toward the light. Initial head is huge and billowing, but nothing much after that sticks at all and there's little lacing left around the glass, even with subsequent pours.

Smell: More like an oak-aged porter with its woody aromas and mild vanilla, along with subdued and mild roasted malts. Balanced, and seemingly quality stuff, but I expect more from Stone, and this aroma seems to be mimicking so many darker beers I've had lately, which is a bit disappointing.

Taste: Some woodiness, roasted malts, mild coffee. Finishes slightly sour, though a nice subdued roasted malt flavor seems to be there for a while, even though it lacks depth. Smoke? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, though it lacks creaminess and carbonation and pulls toward a bit of slickness and oiliness.

Drinkability: For all the hype about this beer at least I've been hearing, I'm not unimpressed, just not very impressed. There seem to be many comparable porters across the board, and many better ones. I'm not sure if I can't tell the smoke from anything else, but I was hoping for some predominance, which was something I didn't get. A decent one out of a snifter, but nothing I'll be seeking out again.

03-03-2009 07:07:56 | More by asabreed
capra12

Reviewed solo.

Appearance: deep and dark brown with little head

Smell: roasted coffee and powdered dark chocolate.

Taste: opens with a mild coffee bitter as a smoky and coffee bitter/ sour comes in as a mild malt profile finishes the sip leaving a mildly smoky coffee bitter.

Moutfeel: light bodied and rather dry. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I would have this again and recommend this to someone who enjoys a smoky porter that have a rich coffee bitter/ sour in the middle to end.

11-11-2009 20:44:18 | More by capra12
mikereaser

Poured from a 22 oz bottle on 12/1/09

I'll start off by saying that I don't normally like smoked beers, this bottle is probably a year old

A - Pours a pitch black with 2 inches of tan foam

S - chocolate, roasted malts, hints of smokiness

T - chocolate at first, then smokiness followed by a charcoal flavor, not bad at all, smoke flavor comes in later in the mouth

M - good carbonation, smooth creamy mouthfeel

D - the smoke builds here, a nicely balanced beer, by the end of the bottle, it was too much for me, but overall i'd drink this one over most other smoked beers

01-07-2010 20:33:15 | More by mikereaser
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.