Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,770 | Hads: 4,003
3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

722 reviews as of this writing. the bottle script has a fun story of this beer not being for everyone and they're fine with that. I guess this puts me in the not quite my type of beer category. a 22oz of this is too much smoke for my taste buds. I'd be curious to try it again at a real barbeque house but otherwise I'll step back and leave it for the real fans. cheers. (370 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

Out of a bottle, the beer's appearance was very dark with minimal head. The aroma consisted of malts of the chocolate variety. I really couldn't smell a smoked aroma to the beer. The taste was surprisingly bland for a porter. I did not detect any smoked flavors. It did have a decent hop to it, but nothing out of the ordinary. As for the drinkability, given that is essentially vague, one could have three of these beers before realizing it was time to move on. In my opinion, the beer got better and better as I got deeper into the bottle. I wouldn't seek this beer out, but if it was offered to me, I would not turn it down. (627 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Browish red.

Smells more stale than smoky. Like TCA cork taint in wine. (But let's assume it's not that in a crown capped 22oz bottle.)

Taste - meh. Nice bitterness. Not especially intense or interesting. Just on the edge of not wholesome. Not especially smoky.

Mouthfeel is fine. Not espcially rich. Nothing wrong with it.

Overall - tolerable but not worth buying again.

**Much better draft. Closer to a 4.0 beer** (420 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%

I poured a 22 ounce bomber into a standard pint glass. It pours dark with a medium sized white head. The head leaves quickly with minimal lacing. The smell, while not bad, is disapointing. A heavy malt sweetness is the most powerfull scent, with a minimal amount of smokiness. The same can be said for the taste, nice malty flavors, with a miniml smoke aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied with above average carbonation, not crazy-just slightly more than average, and is quite drinkable. Not a bad beer, but a disapointing one. The smoke element was underwhelming. An enjoyable porter, just not much of a smoked porter. (621 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

I was really dissapointed with this porter from Stone. While it poured black in color and had some tan foam, the flavor was not what I expected. The smell of roasted malts were very appearent along with the hint of smoke. But, the flavor was not what I was exspecting from stone. The flavor lacked depth. The roasted malts and smoke flavor just wasn't powerful enough. It was just an average porter. I could taste the bitterness, but the flavor was lacking in every aspect of this porter.

This has made two of there latest beers that I have really been dissapoint with. The 7th anniversay and now their porter. (614 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%

Bomber into a Goose Island nonic.

A: Not-quite opaque brown body forms a very thin tan head that leaves a fine ring as it settles. Not terribly carbonated.

S: The scent leaves me a little disappointed. I catch just a faint whiff of smoke, and some dark malt bitterness. There's some hoppy bite, but it's indistinct. The chocolate/coffee notes are quite subtle, as the bottle indicates.

T: Taste trumps the nose. Nice musty, malty porter profile, with the usual tastes of chocolate, caramel, etc. The smoke is noticeable, but subdued--this is a good intro smoke beer for lots of people who find Schlenkerla too much, which is lots of folks. The bite is split nicely between hop and malt bitterness. The smoke, along with some coffee flavor, comes out late in the sip.

M: Appropriate mouthfeel to a porter. Not too carbonated, enough chewy body. Just right, for the style.

D: It's easy to drink, but not particularly memorable. As earlier, a great intro to smoked beers, but it's not very smoky. A pretty good value for what it is, but not particularly distinguished. (1,071 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color, and has a thin tan head. The head leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - The smell is quite smokey. There are also some roasted malts and hops present. I am also getting just a bit of coffee and chocolate notes as well.

T - The taste is better than the nose suggests. There is quite a bit of roasted malts present. There are also notes of caramel, vanilla, coffee, and a light amount of smoke. The aftertaste is smokey and slightly hoppy.

M - This has a medium body and medium-low carbonation. I think this is a good mouthfeel for a porter.

D - This has pretty good drinkability. It goes down fairly easy, and is a decent porter. It is not my favorite of the style, but I think it's pretty good. (746 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%

Stone's Smoked Porter pours a filtered clear black body with ruby highlights and an off white head that leaves good lacing.

The aroma is smoked and charred malt, chocolate, and not really any hop presence.

The flavor is roasty and slightly sweet, some acidic character from the roast, smokey. Hop presence is minimal to light for a Stone brew, but that isn't a completely bad thing.

Mouthfeel is substantial but certainly not full. Carbonation seems just fine on the moderate side. (484 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Some thoughts... #1 I love me some Stone... poured from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter (and my wife's stemless wineglass, as we are talking about a dark beer here!). The appearance of this brew was fascinating... a deep black at the top of the glass, with a rich, translucent scarlet around the bottom of the glass. About a finger of a tan head which dissipated quickly. The aroma was overpowered by smoke, with some deep malt coming through as well. Taste was again overpopwered by smoke, with some dark fruit and malt undertones. Mouthfeel was smooth and enjoyable. Though this was definitely overpowered by the smoke (duh asshole, it is called smoked porter...), it chilled out as the glass warmed. Though it is somewhat like drinking a porter in a smoky room, at least it was more like yummy smoking meat smoke, as opposed to smoky bar smoke. Probably won't seek it out, yet intrigued by the chile pepper and vanilla variants. Worth a try if you like your beers dark. (970 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bomber served into a Trappistes Rochefort chalice

Pours a Pepsi Cola brown that is substantially lighter around the edges. Not much size to the off-white foam. Lacing is spotty at best. Pretty average looking porter.

This doesn't smell like a porter, not really. Lots of sweet, caramel scents. Not too much roastiness at all. The smoke is very light compared to other smoked porters I've had. There is a very nice nutty quality -- like pecans -- that helps the score for aroma.

The most noticeable thing about this beer? The amount of smoke is very, very light! I'm used to getting pints of O'Fallon Smoked Porter, which is so smoky that it is practically barbecued beer. Stone's offering in the category is subtle. The smoky quality sticks out only on the finish. Before that ashy finish is a pretty standard porter. Roasted coffee flavors meet some light raisin.

Decent mouthfeel. Its kind of light, but I'm not convinced that a more substantial body would improve anything. Drinkability is pretty ok. It is held back by the super-drying nature of the beer. This one has to be paired with food that has some moistness to it, be it meat or cake.

You can say that I was disappointed by this smoked porter. The smoke is not a focal point and the porter backbone is not impressive. I'm glad to have tried it but I don't see myself buying this if it were available in my area. (1,385 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

22oz Bottle poured into english pint glass. Beautiful dark brown with ruby highlights that you can actually see light through towards the bottom of the glass. Large head with good lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, alcohol and a little smoke. Taste is a little more smoke, hops, coffee, roasted malts. Very good porter. (324 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

I guess I associate stone with over-the-top hopped beers. And I like them. I also always look forward to their RIS release in spring. For some reason, I've never had their smoked porter, so I was eager to check it out. Over all, it's a good brew, a little lighter than I thought it would be, but a good brew. The smoke flavor is very light, I think the first thing I noticed about it was the strong hop flavor for a porter. I guess Stone just can't resist hops. I would have liked this one more if it was more roasty and less hoppy, but it does go down easy. (558 characters)

650ml bottle.

It pours a nice dark brown with some reddish hues, the head is thick and foamy. The head is slightly tan. It holds for a bit then recedes to some pretty nice lacing.

It smells like an IPA with some brown sugar thrown in, Stone loves their hops huh. There is a hint of roastiness but much less than expected.

The flavor isn't hoppy bitter, but it has a considerable amount of hop flavor. There is also a hint of smokiness and some caramel sweetness.

It is a bit mixed up but overall it is a decent brew. (520 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Presentation was poured from a bomber into a glass in two parts. Beer was dark brown to black in the middle with dark red to auburn on the outside. There was a two finger tan head head with little retention. The aroma was notes of smoke and a weak coffee aroma. Taste hit hard with strong smoke, but the other flavors lagged behind somewhat. The coffee and chocolate notes were weak and made the smoke too heavy. Unbalanced. Mouthfeel was full and chewy. Drinkability was good due to the ABV and the lighter than expected flavor.

Overall, a good porter, but somewhat unbalanced due to the overly heavy smoke flavor. (617 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

From notes. Dark brown with red highlights when backlit. Fluffy light tan head, with good retention, and active. Leaves thick lacing early, but it washes away.

Lightly roasty and vaguely of coffee and toffee. Not especially strong. There is a bit of malty sweetness. Not much in the way of smoke. Some complexity and subtleness, but overall I'm left underwhelmed.

Roasty bitterness noticeable early, and it tastes charred more than smoky of roasty. Malt bill struggles to be noticed. Astringency is prominent. ...later some chocolate and dark fruit emerge.

Fizzy bite lingers, thin feeling medium body, some creaminess in the middle, and a lingering charred bitterness.

I am pretty sure I liked this more when I have had it previously, as I recall liking it better than I liked this sample. So I won't give up on it. But it just didn't seem to hit too many spots tonight. The bitterness was more than I recalled, and it didn't seem to have the rich malty body I was hoping for. ...But I could be spoiled by Alaskan's Smoked Porter... (1,038 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Enjoyed a pint of this with my good buddy PatronWizard at the Yardhouse in Chino Hills. Review is from notes taken at this establishment.

A: Dark-brown hue with hints of ruby red, probably caused by the piercing light that penetrated my glass. Also exhibited a thick and appetizing beige head.

S: Really subtle, which made it hard to pinpoint anything in particular other than dark and brown malts.

T: A distinct burnt taste with dark malts. A lot of my friends pick up that BBQ smokiness, but its much more subtle than what I thought it would have been.

M: Lighter than most porters I've had; medium body and light on the carbonation side.

D: Easy to drink...no hint of alcohol at all. Perfect for a get together with friends and family.

Overall: A worthy to good beer on the BA scale. Will probably enjoy again, but not the first thing I will look for on a beer list. (875 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -13.6%

Black body with a small one finger brown head that didnt last to long.Nice lacing and some bubbles coming up to the top of the beer.Some darkfruit and roasted smells and chocolate bitterness towards the end of the taste.I taste some bite from the smoke and maybe some vanilla in there as well.Mouthful is just right,with the right amount of carbonation and very coating.Mouthful is a bit heavy But its nothing I wouldnt like to have more of in this type of beer.Great beer and well worth the wait and hype,I would recommend people to check this out when they see it.It cost me $7.00 for a bottle,the first few times I saw it for that price I thought it was a bit steep but I caved in and had a great time with the beer.Great Job STONE! (735 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

22oz. Bomber from Party Source poured into a pint glass.

A: 2finger+ Tan head. Good retention and lacing. Pours pitch black letting no light through.

S: Actually kinda citrusy. Some plum/fig notes. Nice and sweet smelling smoke. Reminds me of my smoker filled with hardwood chips soaked in cider.

T/M: BIG smokey malts! Hops are there but are mostly dominated by the smoke. Tasty but probably a little extreme for me. More dark fruits add a touch of sweetness. Body isn't nearly as heavy as I had thought it to be. Getting some slight sourness at the finish.

D: As I said before, it's probably a little too extreme yet for me but I can appreciate it for what it is. Would work good sipping during a winter movie night. This bomber will be enough. I'll try this again around jan. 2009 and see what I think then. (814 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Bomber into a Brooklyn snifter.

Appearance: A near-opaque blackness with bursts of deep red at the bottom of the glass toward the light. Initial head is huge and billowing, but nothing much after that sticks at all and there's little lacing left around the glass, even with subsequent pours.

Smell: More like an oak-aged porter with its woody aromas and mild vanilla, along with subdued and mild roasted malts. Balanced, and seemingly quality stuff, but I expect more from Stone, and this aroma seems to be mimicking so many darker beers I've had lately, which is a bit disappointing.

Taste: Some woodiness, roasted malts, mild coffee. Finishes slightly sour, though a nice subdued roasted malt flavor seems to be there for a while, even though it lacks depth. Smoke? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, though it lacks creaminess and carbonation and pulls toward a bit of slickness and oiliness.

Drinkability: For all the hype about this beer at least I've been hearing, I'm not unimpressed, just not very impressed. There seem to be many comparable porters across the board, and many better ones. I'm not sure if I can't tell the smoke from anything else, but I was hoping for some predominance, which was something I didn't get. A decent one out of a snifter, but nothing I'll be seeking out again. (1,337 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Nice black pour, if not a bit watery. Good smell, but where's the smoke? Just kidding, no false advertising puns from now on. Taste was very pleasant, malt and roast all over, with slightly lingering roastiness. East to drink, with just the right amount of carbonation. Maybe the wateriness coming through again. Overall the porter of choice for the supermarket shopper, but nothing that will leave you drooling for more. (421 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a pretty nice translucent brown with a minimal tan head and good lacing. Aroma is pretty light an airy, with only a little bit coming from the smoke. I'd say the best thing about this beer is the blend of the smoke with the roasted malt. It's very subtle, though and I think they could make it a lot more noticeable. Pretty easy to drink but the water quality doesn't quite fit in with the taste of the beer. This beer got a lot of hype and it's decent but if it wasn't in a big Stone bottle I probably wouldn't think much of it. (535 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Poured out a dark brown color with a brief flash head and minimal lacing, smells and taste mostly of chocolate, coffee, and has a very accessibly light licorice / smoke character to it. Seriously, it's really quite light on the smoke for your typical smoked beer. In that regards, it could serve as an introduction to the style for the neophyte....medium body and carbonation, a fairly by-the-books porter that just happens to have an exciting accent of smoke along for the ride. However, I personally have come to expect a lot more smoke from a smoked beer than what has been presented to me in this brew... (638 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Stone Smoked Porter: Yup, it’s a smoked porter. You can see a hint of color if you hold this brew up to the light. The head is thin and off-white. The aroma is very earthy. Lots of malt tones come through in the flavor, but stay balanced and not too sweet. The finish brings on the smoky flavors and a bit of bitter aftertaste. Overall, I am not a big smoked porter fan, but if you like this style the Stone rendition lives up to its namesake. (445 characters)

A - pours a jet black with a HUGE head

S - smells of sweet malts, and that's about it

T - the taste is good. There are some chocolate malts, a little bit of caramel, subtle coffee, and a touch of smokiness. The flavors are not bold, but easy to pick out. The flavors meld nicely to deliver a delicious porter.

M - full bodied and a good amount of carbonation

D - I guess I was expecting a lot more smoke and burnt malts. The sweet chocolate taste is what made this really shine. This was a good beer - nothing flashy, yet it held my interest. (546 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: Nice dark brown hue with a small, frosty white head.

Aroma: Smoky malt and hops. Coffee and mocha also present.

Taste: Smoke and coffee throughout, with a hoppy dryness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but dry. Coffee and chocolate give it good body.

Drinkability: Stronger than most porters I have had, but still a great interpretation. Will try again when I can. (390 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.