Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,770 | Hads: 4,001
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown color witha nice brown head. Aroma is nice and creamy with some subtle smokiness. Taste is nice and smoky with a good balance of malts as well. I can even detect some burnt coffee flavors towards the back of the throat. The aftertaste is dry and smoky as well. Very drinkable and would compliment certain foods well. I love this beer. (356 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a dark, nearly black, mahogany. Gives off faints bits of red light when placed against bright light, otherwise appears black. Head is small but creamy, leaves a bounding amount of connected lacing. Smell is nutty, taste is chocolately, smokey, pure porter goodness. Mouthfeel is nice and chewy, robust and comfortable. Drinkability is high as this is an incredible brew. Another winner, as expected, from Stone brewing co. (428 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown nearly black with a small to middling tan head. Intense smoky aroma hits the nostrils like a freight train and clears those sinuses straight out. Taste is primarily coffee with the smoky flavors coming through on the back end. This beer is not messing around. (276 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll be honest I haven't had too many porters maybe 6-7 but this one is by far the best I've had.

Pours a cool dark reddish color with a creamy head which leaves a very nice lacing
The smell is slightly sweet but also a hint of roasted coffee.
Know the taste is what I would consider very complex. Initially a bit of chocolate but then the smoky roast flavors and a slightly bitter finish but in a very good and balanced way.
Very flavor full but not overwhelming, the flavor contrasts are something else.

Let me tell you these STONE BOYS don't mess around and not just because I'm a CALI native.

I just told the wife I will be spending my B-Day at their Escondido location I hear its like Disneyland for the brew heads.

Go Team USA..

Cheers. (748 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a dark brown that shines red into my Guinness pint glass. Head is voluminous and pillowy, a sandy-tan color that leaves good lacing. Aroma is malt, wood, bread, a touch of fruit. Mouthfeel is smooth and rich, with medium carbonation, a little thick compared to porters I am used to. Taste is chocolate, nuts, roasted malt, with a smoky flavor that is very distinguishable but does not knock you over the head. A little sweetness in the middle though with a surprisingly mild hop bitterness towards the finish. I have never tasted a brew quite like this; besides being a very intriguing smoked beer, it is a fantastically balanced porter in my opinion. The taste only improves as the beer warms. Drinkability is excellent due to the (thankfully) low-ish ABV and intriguing flavor that has you wanting more immediately after the taste from the previous sip has diminished. (876 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.6%

I had this beer on cask at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica. I have to say this is one of the most tasty beverages I have ever consumed. Porter is not even my favorite style of beer, and I refuse to believe that a mere man has concocted this brew until I taste a glass from a different batch.

The color is an opaque black, and the head is towering with thick brown foam that seems to stay until the glass is almost empty. There is enough lacing to make my glass look like a fossil record.

The aroma is of fresh vanilla beans and chocolate, and there is a hint of smoke in the background.

Upon sipping this brew, I am introduced to a heavenly enlightenment that I have never experienced before. It is a perfect balance of chocolate, roasty malt, fresh vanilla beans, and subtle hops. The smoke is present, but perfectly tucked in the background. There is also a hint of marshmellows.

The beer has a medium body, good carbonation (especially for a cask), and a smooth finish.

Very, very drinkable, especially for a porter. I could drink these all night. I wanted to try so many other beers because the Daily Pint has such a great selection, but my conscience would not let me waste my alcohol tolerance on a different brew. I had the feeling that no other cask of Stone Smoked Porter will ever taste quite this good. (1,319 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance: Pure opaque black with a grayish-tan head. Light carbonation and sticky, irregular lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of a canvas tent that carries aroma of last year's campfire with it, a nice, earthy mustiness accompanied by the smell of a bed of coals wet by fresh rain. There's nothing falsified about this smokiness, no liquid smoke notes to be found. Breathing deeply a crisp hoppiness is found. But overall this brew smells old . . . old and wise.

Taste: Smooth as can be. The slightly oily liquid glides into my mouth, filling every corner possible. There's no assault and no shock, just a perfectly balanced gem. Very round. I swear I've never had a beer make my mouth water like this one. Slightly sweet, dark malts up front, with a slight prickling on the tongue from the combination of alcohol and carbonation. Finishes sweet and then dry, with a combination of fresh hops and more wonderful, understated woodsmoke.

Notes: Excellent beer. It may not be the smokiest, but it surely impressed me. TRY THIS BEER! (1,036 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

sampled and reviewed as a side-by-side with alaskan smoked porter.

both pour extremely dark with the stone showing slightly more crimson when held to light. the alaskan head is a shade or two darker with both fading away after a few moments in the glass.

strong thick chocolate aroma. still some smoke, but it takes more of a back seat as it warms. much more malty than the alaskan. maybe more traditional porter than all out smoke?

mmm tasty. sweeter chocolate blends well with some hop bitterness. finish is on the dry side. amazing how everything seems to concentrate as this one warms up. forget the smoked in the name, this is all out chocolate and i like it.

loses the smoke character pretty quick, but its not missed as what is left is a damn fine beer. leaves you smacking your lips from the sweet malt left behind each sip.
more please. (861 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

It's funny to officially review a beer I have had many times before, Smoked Porter is one of Stone's core lineup (joining AB, IPA, and Pale Ale as the original year-round offerings). Here goes. . .
A- Pours an opaque black with tinges of dark brown highlights, head is big, thick, foamy and tan, big thick lacing throughout... superb
S- Aroma is dominated by a mix of chocolate and coffee malts, wonderfully balanced with a hint of good old Stone hops in the background, smoked hues abound along with some woody/cedar/roasty tones
T- Initial taste is rich and creamy coffee-forward malts backed by some cocoa tones all dominated by that wonderful smoky presence, some dark fruits (fig, plum) come in soon followed by a slight bitter hoppiness which characterizes the short, sweet finish
M- Fairly medium-bodied porter, very creamy mouthfeel and a perfect amount of carbonation
D- Easy drinking porter at 6% with very well-masked alcohol presence, easily a session beer that is wonderfully delicious and complex. I am not a huge porter fan, but Stone Smoked Porter is simply the best of this category and one of the top beers I have ever reviewed, do not hesitate to have several bottles readily available for BBQ or meat-intensive dinners, and be sure to grab the special Porter with chipotle peppers whenever it is available at Stone. . . YUM!!! (1,346 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

Another bottle sampled at the first meeting of our South Bend Coalition of the Drinking club. We drank two from Stone, which were my first two ever from them. This one i was looking forward to because i've liked the smoked porter's i've had and because of the pedigree of the brewery. Poured out of the great looking bottle a dark black color. small bubbly head becomes creamy and smooth-looking. the whole thing looks fantastic. Odor is slightly smoky, but more like roasted malts. Also some wet oak log smell and molasses. Taste was smoky as all hell at first and then a hard malt bitterness and hints of chocolate. simple but great. i likey. Fairly thick and smooth in the mouth with a small bite on the tip and sides of the tongue. i could drink these all night and all day. (778 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Served on tap at the Stone Bistro in California, in a pint glass.

A-tan head (thick), very dark black/brown body

S-grain, roasty, smoky like bbq

t-great solid dry stout flavor with an undercurrent of mesquite bbq like smoke

M-full

D-I can think of few other beers that are perfect for bbq. I had this with the bistro's duck tacos. The perfect beer for those who think they don't like smoked beers. (402 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Almost completely opaque. Light brown head composed of tiny bubbles that stays pretty well. Quite a bit in the nose, lots of smoked peaty malt, chocolate, and caramel backed by leafy hops. As for the taste, the expected smoked grain. This is most apparent with retro-olfaction, but is definitely a big presence throughout. Lots of roasted grain and dark chocolate, very bittersweet up front. Leafy and slightly rind-like hops come out more in the back, but are subtle and balance perfectly with the malt. Very slight fruitiness, plum-like. Perfectly smooth and creamy mouthfeel. I'm a big fan of smoked beers, and this one is amazing. I am very impressed, I love this beer. I bow to the great gargoyle. (702 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a pint bottle - Appearance is a beautiful black with a head that disipates quickly but lacing lasts throughout.
Smell is exceptional - best I've whiffed for a porter - strong piercing caramel and coffee aroma
Taste is superior - Smoked oak flavor mixed with malt, caramel and dark chocolate.
Mouthfeel is as smooth as black silk
Excellent, highly recommended - My new favorite porter. Stone delicious.
How the hell could anyone give this less than a 4.0 is beyond me.... (488 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

A- Very dark beer that pours with a thin head that goes lacy and sticks around the edge well.

S- Nice rich smell with a bevey of aromas. The most noticible one is the roasted coffee smell.

T- Very good taste to it, smooth with the right roasted taste. Nothing overpowering and overall very subtle.

M- Not as thick as I was expecting given the color. Just the right combination of bite to it to leave a pleasant feeling.

D- Combined with the subtle tastes, the light mouthfeel and the smooth drink, this is a very drinkable beer. (532 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Having tried Alaskan Smoked Porter a little while back, I wanted to try another smoked porter and compare the two. This is possibly the most subtle beer I have ever had. It pours a dark black, with a moderate tan head and average lacing. The smell is that of most good porters - roasted malt, notes of black coffee - but with a beguiling smokiness hovering in the background. This smokiness sets the mood without dominating it. The taste is again a study in smoky restraint. The coffeeish, roasted malt taste is filled out and accentuated by the smoke flavor, which adds a rich, silkiness to the proceedings. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy, like any good porter. This is a wonderful beer, and I deeply regret having purchased only one. Whereas Alaskan Smoked Porter bursts forth when you drink it, like a big alderwood swat team busting down your door, this smoked porter shakes your hand and puts its arm over your shoulder (926 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

A: From a 22oz bomber. Pours out to a deep opaque color that turns a rusted ruby red when held to the light. Lower carbonation, and a shoer lived head of tan/brown foam.

S: Lots of smoke, nearly to the point of being a rauchbier. Notes of brown sugar, sweet malts and a mild wood and earth note round things off perfectly. Absolutely wonderful aroma.

T: Dominant sweet smokey notes with a roasted malt backbone. Rich grain character fills in the voids. Hints of sweet husk and molasses weave through the mildly complex brew. Exemplary.

M: Low and behold, there's where the carbonation was hiding. Bubbly rich and velvety on the tongue, this one goes down amazingly smooth and friendly.

D: Wow. This is a winner. I may have found my new companion for the fall/winter months. Highly recommended. A world-class example of what a good smoked porter (or any smoked beer) should be.

Notes: This particular sample was aged for at least 3 months in my cellar, and who knows how long it was brewed before I got to it. I would imagine that it would only be just as good in a fresher form. Hell, it's probably damn good aged too. Guess I'll have to see for my self and buy a case to experiment with! (1,203 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

Took me ages to breakdown and buy this one. Guess I was afraid to find a better porter than Edmund Fitzgerald. Pours a deep brown, which is always nice. Smells like mocha malts, which probably don't exist, but that's what I thought of. Tastes like coffee beer that is thick on the palate. Great mouthfeel, but after it's a little too thick and sticky, however this is far too fantastic to let something like that be irritating. Once again, well done Stone. Best porter I've had to date. (486 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Yet another great brew from the people at Stone, who have yet to let me down and are now my all time favorite brewery. This one poures a very dark brown, almost black with a small head that leaves decent lace around the glass. The smell reminded me of the Arrogant Bastard Ale but with a hint of smoke, chocolate and coffee added to it. The taste is right on: little bit of hop bite at the beginning, then the smoked flavor comes in along with a hint of malt and chocolate, and finishes with a crisp coffee flavor. This one would go great with some bar-b-q'd burgurs....awesome brew! (583 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours an inky black with a thin mocha head. When you hold it to the light it has red hues. The smell is great and well balanced. It is driven by the smoke, but sweet, maybe chocolaty notes. The taste is just as good, well balanced, starts smoky and sweet with a strong porter finish. The aftertaste sticks with the smoke theme but is also strong with malts. The mouthfeel is great, a good balance of flavor, carbonation, and body. I could drink these all night long. This is one of my favorite beers. Such a great brew. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these. Enjoy! (572 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a dark almost black color with a nice tan head that has good retention and leaves wonderful lacing. Chocolate and burnt malt aroma with a hint of roastyness and bitter coffee. Same flavors intermingle with a smokey flavor. Quite velvety smooth on the palate and very drinkable. Love this beer in the winter sitting near a fire. (333 characters)

SSSMOKIN!!!

Appearance: Black as midnight in the North Pole. Has a very nice dark brown head. It's thick, foamy, and takes awhile to go down while leaving some good lacing behind.

Smell: The scents of chocolate, coffee, toffee, and toasted malts are all present, along with a great smokiness. Has a bitter undertone to it. The smell will make your mouth water.

Taste: BOO YAA! Has a smoky, dark coffee like taste. Chocolate and malt flavors are there as well. Very rich and creamy, you'll want to drink this down in a second and go back for more.

Mouthfeel: Nicely thick, with a creamy feel to it. Starts to get a strong bite after being in the mouth for a few seconds. Leaves a good aftertaste, with an abundant amount of bitterness being left on the palate.

Drinkability: Anytime. I repeat, anytime. This is a spectacular beer and a spectacular Porter. You could drink this with a hearty meal, while sitting back in front of the tv, or any other time whatsoever. I don't know if there's ever been a perfect Porter, but this is as close to it as I've ever had. (1,066 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Very dark, almost black, thin head, very good lacing

S: You can definitely smell some chocolate, and can pick up some of the smoke smell

T: Very smooth porter, minimal hops, light smooth aftertaste which does not linger, biscuity. You can taste the smoke. A little bit of coffee and chocolate taste.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation

O: Love this one. One of the best porters I have had. Anytime I see this I will pick one up, it's that good. The taste is very unique. Really enjoyed this one. (501 characters)

Serving type - bottle

Apperance - Dark black with trances of tan. Thick, creamy 2 inch head and plenty of lacing.

Smell - Smoke, roasted malts, mild coffee and chocolate.

Taste - Roasted malts with coffee and chocolate start this beer off. Dark fruits provide a nice backbone. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel - A real treat, coats the palette nice with dark smokey afteraste. Nothing abouth this beer is overpowering, letting me enjoy each drink after drink. I meen, i can taste another beer if i choose, but really, i dont want anything else.

Drinkability - If i was told to make a list of 5 porters to drink , this would make it. It has everthing i look for. A great example of a smoked porter. Easy to drink, affordable price and great avaiblity. World class beer. (777 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

At first glance, this beer is the solid black of the monolith. When held to the light, it yields a very intense, low-frequency red of an LED. The head is thick, lumpy, and tan. The aroma is that of roasted coffee, a hint of smoke, and possibly spuce and licorice. I can't help but notice the cementish smell of the yeast. It is instantly recognizable as a California beer. The flavor is very pulled-together. The smoke flavor does not at all overwhelm. The bitterness is appropriately prominent with a grapefruitish flavor. Perhaps this is from Cascades? Again, very California. It seems to be around 35 IBU. The citrus bitterness melds seamlessly with that of dark coffee and dark chocolate. It avoids being astringent and the smoke flavor merely lurks in the background. If anything, it serves to enhance the overall roasted flavor. It is medium-bodied and very drinkable. This could serve as a session beer. The carbonation is lively and seems to bring out the flavor of the hops. Neither the roasted flavor nor the grapefruit rind flavor muddle each other and work together brilliantly. Again: a very pulled-together flavor. The aftertaste is short and has the bitterness of french roast coffee and bitter chocolate. I love it.
(rated Jan 15, 2007) (1,252 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from a bottle into a delirum snifter

A-Pours an extremly dark brown near black even aginst direct light its completely opaque good head and laceing throughout.
S-Wonderful, bold notes of hickory, esspresso, vinilla, and chocolate that all come through extremly clear
T-Again wonderful everything that the nose hints about this beer comes through in the flavor and just as bold the complexity it amazing and only outdone by the balance in the beer. Nice full body with a near perfect carbonation level for the style this is perhaps the best porter i have ever drank and would reach for it time and time again if i had the oppertunity. (641 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.