Join our email list →

Stone Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Porter | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,788 | Hads: 4,102
4.66/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a bomber. Pours a nice deep reddish/black color. Solid head that quickly thins out. Solid lacing. Smell is of light smoke and malts. Taste is very very enjoyable. Roasted malts stick out, along with a mild smoke sensation. I was suprised with this Porter. I really enjoy what Stone has to offer, and this just adds to the list of my likes!

4.66/5  rDev +15.9%

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black, under a big brown head. Very nice retention and lace. A+ appearance.

S: Smells of chocolate and a little bit of smoke at first. Sweet malt comes in afterwards. Roasted malt aromas come around too. Smoke is bit charcoal like.

T: A very subtle smokiness with sweet malts tones a decent amount of hop bitterness. Smokiness becomes much more noticeable after a few drinks. Slight hint of chocolate in the finish as well. A little bit of coffee and cream sneak in as well.

M/D: Body is full, carbonation a touch high, little bit of a velvety touch. Can be slightly thin at times. Really nice drinkability. I pretty much pounded my first glass without thinking about it.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

Full disclosure: this beer is on my top-10 list. Found it in a bomber, and poured into a Pilsner-style glass (not a pint glass...sue me).

Appearance: dark brown, kinda ruby around the edges. When I hold it up to the light, I can peek through it without a problem. Since I've got a smaller glass, I poured it two ways: first, an easy pour down the side of the glass yielded a nice 2-finger head that faded down to a thin layer that left a pretty good lacing. A full-on pour yielded more head (3-finger this time), but not as much of a difference as I expected (although it has gotten to sit out and/or warm a bit since that first pour). Regardless, this beer looks good.

Smell: definitely can find the smokiness here, joined by coffee and caramel. I really like the smell on this one.

Taste: I did mention that this is number 3 on my personal top-10 list, right? Definitely a porter: lots of chocolate malts, some caramel in there as well. I'm not noticing much in the way of hops, which is OK with me (much more partial to straight-up maltiness). The smoked part comes in after to hit you, and the aftertaste fairly reeks (in a good way) of smoked malts. I really do love this beer.

Mouthfeel: not too heavy nor too light. Perfect for a porter on this one; I just don't like giving out 5's if I can help it!

Drinkability: good thing this beer's got a low ABV, as I could see myself drinking a lot of it for a very long time. It says it goes well with barbecued meats (and it without a doubt does), but it's an outstanding accompaniment to this lamb stew and couscous I made.

Overall, an extremely awesome brew, and one I'd highly recommend!

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours deep brown with a nice light beige head that dissipates to a retentive ring. The aroma is very nice, smoky peat, dark roasted malts, nutshells, and cocoa powder. Medium bodied with average carbonation. This beer has nicely balanced flavors of smoke, dark chocolate, tobacco, and coffee. Just enough bitterness to keep this in balanced, with average attenuation. Finish has a slight milky flavor.

Stone Smoked Porter

A pours a almost black with dark red when held to light. Loose rocky mocha colored head.

S Chocolate, coffee and cream, Very faint smokeyness.

T follows the nose very well. Dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Hops are kept down, and a very faint smokiness.

M medium mouthfeel, and medium carbonation that brings out flavors well.

O sweeter than expected, with less smoke than expected. But excellent none the less. Very decadent, great by itself, or for dessert. Buy again.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

This is my first taste of a smoked beer. I decided to try this based on favorable reviews at Beer Advocate.
This is a good looking beer, one that would invite onlookers to try some.
It looks like dark walnut wood work with a tan head.
The smell is a gorgeous mingling of roasted malt and alcohol.
I love the flavor, the smoky malt is offset by just enough hops to make their presense known.
The mouthfeel is so good, this beer would still be enjoyable if I had a bad cold.
Overall, this beer is a winner with me and I would reserve it for special occasions as a novel treat.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

This is a great beer. I hadn't had it in a long time, but decided to have a short affair with it tonight. Poured out of the bottle a deep chocolate color, erring on the side of a reddish, black appearance. It foamed up with a beautiful tan head that lingered around .5-1 inch for half of the quaff. The smell reminded me of fresh caramel followed by a hint of smokiness. The taste was definitely smoky with a taste of bitterness reminiscent of dark chocolate. This bitter sweet character was carried through to the end of the swallow which left the palate with a pleasant, bittersweet aftertaste that makes a man not want to brush at night. The drinkability is good, but after more than one of these, you may find yourself searching for something that doesn't make chest hair grow quite as fast.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a blackish-brown with a thin, but persistent head that stuck around for most of the glass. Smell was fainter than expected, but held nice dark roasted malts and a hint of smoke. Taste was excellent - intense roasted malt, smoke, and hop flavors held in perfect balance. Mouthfeel was very pleasant and creamy.

I found this to be exceptionally drinkable, with a deliciously balanced flavor balanced perfectly with the smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

A near-perfect offering from Stone in my book.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

I drank this beer at a brew pub in Easton, Pa called Which Brew. Since porters are what I drink, this beer was right up my alley. I never had this beer before and I must say the taste to me is very inviting, it was smooth to start with a slight bite at the finish. I enjoyed this beer with dessert and went very well with chocolate drizzled cheesecake. I liked the beer so much that I went and purchased it at my local beer distributor. It came in a case of 12- 22 0z. bottles which will last me one long weekend. The 22 0z. bottles is a lot of beer but the beer is so smooth it makes it easy to drink. I also recommend having this beer with a nice T-bone steak and some chocolate fondue for dessert.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep, dark coffee brown color with a nice 1 finger head that slowly fades into some nice lace. Smell is very smoky (which should be expected). There is also some noticeable amount of chocolate and coffee as well. The taste is awesome - smoke, dark chocolate, and a nice dry black licorice-y finish. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a nice carbonated bite. Wow, this is easy to drink. The flavors are strong, but they meld together so well. This is an excellent porter. Highest recommendation.

4.69/5  rDev +16.7%

Well, this wonderful beer was on sale at my local Binny's unbeknown to me, so I told the cashier to wait while I grabbed another delicious bottle. I'm watching UFC Unleashed as I write this review and sip on this awesome beer.

The look is very nice, deep dark brown against the glass and slightly black in the center but still not as dark as I thought it would be, but still very nice. The head is very minimal but expected. The smell is very good. Dark chocolate, licorice, caramel, and dates fill my cognac glass. It's a wonderful smell because it doesn't tire the nose and it definitely doesn't get old. The taste is very good, dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee are big on the buds. The caramel and licorice play lesser roles in the taste but still provide some of the character of the porter. You get a little hoppy aftertaste, but it's minimal. Overall, I think I just fell in love.

This is a heavy bodied brew but still quite surprisingly pretty high on drinkability. I would definitely recommend this porter to anyone who enjoys great dark beers, or great beer for that matter. Enjoy!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a moderately deep garnet with excellent clarity. A tan very long head settles to a quarter of an inch of foam and leaves some lacing on the glass.

A smooth smoke aroma blends nicely with a roasted malt aroma. There is also supporting malt character aromas of bready, toffee and chocolate. Hops aroma is not perceptible. There are mild dark fruit esters of prunes and figs.

There is a perfect balance of dark malt and smoke flavors that progresses to a roasty dry finish. A medium sweetness with some toffee and chocolate notes blended with a moderate hop bitterness.

The is a rich, complex porter with a nice balanced smoke character underlining and supporting the key porter qualities.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn good beer. The best smoked porter I have tasted to date. Great dark brown color with a thick head. Nice hop flavor and aroma. A slightly sweet taste with a smoked flavor (as expected) that leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. Smooth as it goes down. Overall a great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite possibly the best porter on the planet, definitely the best in San Diego. I had this on tap at my favorite local pub. It poured a deep, deep brown with a fizzy head that left a lot of lacings. Smelled of roasty,sweet malt with hints of coffee and chocolate. Tasted great, with a wonderfully smoky character with hints of hops. Nice creamy mouthfeel and easy to drink. Great with BBQ food.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As deep as garnet gets, before we call it brown, the head is "Chocolate", frothy, long lasting; the lace clings in thick sheets till the very bottom of the glass. Nose is deep malt, lightly smoked, sweet, caramel, and even a hint of coffee. Front is sweet malt, the top is medium to full, the finish is of course "Smokey", nicely hopped, light to moderate carbonation, dry, and a nice long lasting bitter after taste. Call me a "Stone-o-phile", but I like the over the top hops, high ABV, big malts and that robustness, only found in a few brewers beers, such as "Alesmith".

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Standard 22oz. silkscreened brown bomber. Gargoyle on the front and a funny blurb about porters on the back.

Appearance: Just a shade from pitch black. Very large fluffy tan head that "egg cartons" as it falls. Excellent retention and tons of lacing.

Aroma: At first all I got was this lucious sweet chocolatey coffee and roasty porter. Another close whiff and there was the smoke. I can't tell what kind of smoke, but it was very subtle in the background and not overpowering. Smells amazing.

Taste: Very silky smooth. Larght carbonation in the taste. Very thick and very full bodied. Sweet, rich, chocolately, light coffee flavor. Hop bitterness and flavor comes out in the middle of the taste and leaves a sweet light bitterness. Smokey and roasty finish.

Notes: Wow, just wow. Absolutely wonderful porter. I don't know why they said its smoked, because you can't really notice it unless your paying a lot of attention. I love the hopiness in the beer. Loads of hop flavor and a bitterness that matches perfectly with the massive malt backbone. Very subtle smoke, unlike the smoked porter that Alaskan Brewing has. Nonetheless, I would buy a case of this stuff in a heartbeat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared a dark black with a massive 3 finger tan head, head retention was outstanding! Had a ruby red hue when held to light, and left lightly broken/spotty lacing. Smelled of tart fruity apple/grape/raisin combo, almost metallic, following is a big dominant malt aroma, big smokey/roasted notes. Semi sweet aroma with lots of roasted nuttiness, and a hint of butter.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of big roasted/smokey malts, not really sweet at all, following is some very subtle dark chocolate notes, and nutty flavors. Rich smokey/roasted flavors linger pretty well, and as it warms, more burnt like flavors with mild biscuit are pronounced which only made it richer! Mouthfeel had some apparent crispness as it hit the tongue, then very creamy & smooth, which complimented the flavors very well! Around medium-full bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - I really enjoyed this beer, from the fresh from the tap appearance, to the way the creamy mouthfeel complimented the rich smokey flavors. I could enjoy 2, maybe 3 before it became a little to rich, but otherwise extremely drinkable on a cold night. I highly recommend it. Cheers!i

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown color witha nice brown head. Aroma is nice and creamy with some subtle smokiness. Taste is nice and smoky with a good balance of malts as well. I can even detect some burnt coffee flavors towards the back of the throat. The aftertaste is dry and smoky as well. Very drinkable and would compliment certain foods well. I love this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a dark, nearly black, mahogany. Gives off faints bits of red light when placed against bright light, otherwise appears black. Head is small but creamy, leaves a bounding amount of connected lacing. Smell is nutty, taste is chocolately, smokey, pure porter goodness. Mouthfeel is nice and chewy, robust and comfortable. Drinkability is high as this is an incredible brew. Another winner, as expected, from Stone brewing co.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown nearly black with a small to middling tan head. Intense smoky aroma hits the nostrils like a freight train and clears those sinuses straight out. Taste is primarily coffee with the smoky flavors coming through on the back end. This beer is not messing around.

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll be honest I haven't had too many porters maybe 6-7 but this one is by far the best I've had.

Pours a cool dark reddish color with a creamy head which leaves a very nice lacing
The smell is slightly sweet but also a hint of roasted coffee.
Know the taste is what I would consider very complex. Initially a bit of chocolate but then the smoky roast flavors and a slightly bitter finish but in a very good and balanced way.
Very flavor full but not overwhelming, the flavor contrasts are something else.

Let me tell you these STONE BOYS don't mess around and not just because I'm a CALI native.

I just told the wife I will be spending my B-Day at their Escondido location I hear its like Disneyland for the brew heads.

Go Team USA..

Cheers.

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a dark brown that shines red into my Guinness pint glass. Head is voluminous and pillowy, a sandy-tan color that leaves good lacing. Aroma is malt, wood, bread, a touch of fruit. Mouthfeel is smooth and rich, with medium carbonation, a little thick compared to porters I am used to. Taste is chocolate, nuts, roasted malt, with a smoky flavor that is very distinguishable but does not knock you over the head. A little sweetness in the middle though with a surprisingly mild hop bitterness towards the finish. I have never tasted a brew quite like this; besides being a very intriguing smoked beer, it is a fantastically balanced porter in my opinion. The taste only improves as the beer warms. Drinkability is excellent due to the (thankfully) low-ish ABV and intriguing flavor that has you wanting more immediately after the taste from the previous sip has diminished.

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%

I had this beer on cask at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica. I have to say this is one of the most tasty beverages I have ever consumed. Porter is not even my favorite style of beer, and I refuse to believe that a mere man has concocted this brew until I taste a glass from a different batch.

The color is an opaque black, and the head is towering with thick brown foam that seems to stay until the glass is almost empty. There is enough lacing to make my glass look like a fossil record.

The aroma is of fresh vanilla beans and chocolate, and there is a hint of smoke in the background.

Upon sipping this brew, I am introduced to a heavenly enlightenment that I have never experienced before. It is a perfect balance of chocolate, roasty malt, fresh vanilla beans, and subtle hops. The smoke is present, but perfectly tucked in the background. There is also a hint of marshmellows.

The beer has a medium body, good carbonation (especially for a cask), and a smooth finish.

Very, very drinkable, especially for a porter. I could drink these all night. I wanted to try so many other beers because the Daily Pint has such a great selection, but my conscience would not let me waste my alcohol tolerance on a different brew. I had the feeling that no other cask of Stone Smoked Porter will ever taste quite this good.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Pure opaque black with a grayish-tan head. Light carbonation and sticky, irregular lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of a canvas tent that carries aroma of last year's campfire with it, a nice, earthy mustiness accompanied by the smell of a bed of coals wet by fresh rain. There's nothing falsified about this smokiness, no liquid smoke notes to be found. Breathing deeply a crisp hoppiness is found. But overall this brew smells old . . . old and wise.

Taste: Smooth as can be. The slightly oily liquid glides into my mouth, filling every corner possible. There's no assault and no shock, just a perfectly balanced gem. Very round. I swear I've never had a beer make my mouth water like this one. Slightly sweet, dark malts up front, with a slight prickling on the tongue from the combination of alcohol and carbonation. Finishes sweet and then dry, with a combination of fresh hops and more wonderful, understated woodsmoke.

Notes: Excellent beer. It may not be the smokiest, but it surely impressed me. TRY THIS BEER!

4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

sampled and reviewed as a side-by-side with alaskan smoked porter.

both pour extremely dark with the stone showing slightly more crimson when held to light. the alaskan head is a shade or two darker with both fading away after a few moments in the glass.

strong thick chocolate aroma. still some smoke, but it takes more of a back seat as it warms. much more malty than the alaskan. maybe more traditional porter than all out smoke?

mmm tasty. sweeter chocolate blends well with some hop bitterness. finish is on the dry side. amazing how everything seems to concentrate as this one warms up. forget the smoked in the name, this is all out chocolate and i like it.

loses the smoke character pretty quick, but its not missed as what is left is a damn fine beer. leaves you smacking your lips from the sweet malt left behind each sip.
more please.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.