Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

This is the only product I've sampled from one of my favorite breweries that I cannot stand. I've tried this on multiple occasions while visiting the stone brewery just to see if maybe my opinion would change, but it hasn't. The smoothness of the beer is it's best attribute. The smoky flavor is unappetizing and leaves me wanting to get anything else on the menu in my glass to overpower the flavor. Think I'm done trying to give this a chance and will just leave this off my list of beers I like.

2.45/5  rDev -38.9%

Original Rating Date:
September 25, 2008

Pours dark black with a nice, foamy brown head. Beautiful, steady, permanent lacing that lingers down the glass. Great looking beer in the glass. Smells of weak malts -- no smokiness, no chocolate, nothing else. Very disappointing aroma. Flavor is lots of chocolate, ironically not very smokey at all. Digging deeper there is some dark fruit there. There's a bit of a watery character to the beer as well. Unusually weak brew from Stone. Other reviews on this site rave, but I didn't come away with a great experience from this beer.

2.45/5  rDev -38.9%

Had this on tap at the First Street Draught House in town. Came out a very dark black with some ruby highlights on the edges. Nice creamy tan head on top. Left beautiful sip rings. Smoke is surprisingly absent in the nose. I was expecting a smoky, roasted scent, but in its place was just some cocoa tones with a sweet finish.

Very creamy body on this beer. Carbonation level was low. Smooth. No smoke in the flavor either. What makes this smoked? This tastes like a regular porter to me. Some light coffee bitterness, mild chocolate flavors, and roasted malts on the finish. Sorry, but this was boring when I expected something a little more original.

22 oz bomber poured into a dimpled mug

a-off brown color held up to light could see right through..little to no head at all

smell-slightly roasted malt, smoke smell was there but we will get to that in a minute. no hop aroma present

t-this is where the dissapointment came in..there was no "meat" to this porter...it was very watery and boring. with the smoke smell in the nose i could not figure out where it was in the taste...slightly roasted malt taste but overall boring

note--maybe i got an off bottle but i shared it with a pal and we both had the same look on our face upon tasting..stone is a great brewery and i have to say that this is the only beer ive have had by them i was not happy with..

drinkablitly--i literally could drink this beer all night because of the consistency and abv but not by choice

2.52/5  rDev -37.2%

2.63/5  rDev -34.4%

Big fan of porters, and for the price thought this looked worth trying. Won't break this down much, just didn't like it. If I weren't looking at the bottle I wouldn't have guessed smoked at all. More hoppy than expected, dominated any nuance this beer might have had, and I never got the smoked taste I was hoping for. Had this with smoked ribs as many suggested, big disappointment, dumped it and opened a St. Arnolds. Pluses? Rich dark color.

2.63/5  rDev -34.4%

1 pt 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and good retention. The head colour is a slight tan. Colour is a solid black. It's generally appealing.

Sm: Slight rauchbier smoke, caramelized malt, a bit of roast, and light bacon. A mild strength aroma.

T: Light roast, some smoke, caramelized malt, and a bit of bacon. A bit simple compared to expectations. It's well balanced, though. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours. It's a touch too thick.

Dr: Very drinkable for a smoked beer, but a bit too malty. It's got an average ABV and a high price. I don't think I'd have it again.

22 from BevMo

A - Pours brown-black body with a little dark chocolate head, which dissipates fast.

S - Mocha, coffee, almonds, and lt alcohol.

T - Dark coffee and pear.

M - Slightly bitter, medium carbonation.

D - Where's the smoke? Will not by again.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/01/08

Pours very dark brown/black with generous 3 finger light tan head. The head leaves some nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is smoky and slightly chocolatey.

The taste leaves much to be desired. I would say the smokiness overpowers everything, but there's hardly any smoke flavor there and I can't even detect any other flavors. The taste is very empty, very lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation. Bitter. This one is hard to drink, mainly due to the poor (lack of) taste.

I had high hopes for this beer but was quite disappointed.

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

I felt like for a porter it had a bit much of a hops aroma, typical Stone, had this with two other people and we all felt the same. I love Porters but thought this was not a great smoked porter. Color, pour and head were excellent, it's a well made beer but not for me. I Porter is one of my favorite styles, but this I'll probably reach for something else.

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.