Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
ONN8

Tech_Savy

09-15-2012 05:02:45 | More by Tech_Savy
stoutfiend27

22 oz bomber poured into a dimpled mug

a-off brown color held up to light could see right through..little to no head at all

smell-slightly roasted malt, smoke smell was there but we will get to that in a minute. no hop aroma present

t-this is where the dissapointment came in..there was no "meat" to this porter...it was very watery and boring. with the smoke smell in the nose i could not figure out where it was in the taste...slightly roasted malt taste but overall boring

note--maybe i got an off bottle but i shared it with a pal and we both had the same look on our face upon tasting..stone is a great brewery and i have to say that this is the only beer ive have had by them i was not happy with..

drinkablitly--i literally could drink this beer all night because of the consistency and abv but not by choice

01-22-2009 00:48:30 | More by stoutfiend27
JKingWood

2.63/5  rDev -34.6%

Big fan of porters, and for the price thought this looked worth trying. Won't break this down much, just didn't like it. If I weren't looking at the bottle I wouldn't have guessed smoked at all. More hoppy than expected, dominated any nuance this beer might have had, and I never got the smoked taste I was hoping for. Had this with smoked ribs as many suggested, big disappointment, dumped it and opened a St. Arnolds. Pluses? Rich dark color.

03-02-2014 19:06:37 | More by JKingWood
kojevergas

2.63/5  rDev -34.6%

1 pt 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and good retention. The head colour is a slight tan. Colour is a solid black. It's generally appealing.

Sm: Slight rauchbier smoke, caramelized malt, a bit of roast, and light bacon. A mild strength aroma.

T: Light roast, some smoke, caramelized malt, and a bit of bacon. A bit simple compared to expectations. It's well balanced, though. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours. It's a touch too thick.

Dr: Very drinkable for a smoked beer, but a bit too malty. It's got an average ABV and a high price. I don't think I'd have it again.

09-26-2011 03:09:24 | More by kojevergas
MisterClean

22 from BevMo

A - Pours brown-black body with a little dark chocolate head, which dissipates fast.

S - Mocha, coffee, almonds, and lt alcohol.

T - Dark coffee and pear.

M - Slightly bitter, medium carbonation.

D - Where's the smoke? Will not by again.

03-01-2008 04:51:31 | More by MisterClean
bkilpatr

Oregon

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/01/08

Pours very dark brown/black with generous 3 finger light tan head. The head leaves some nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is smoky and slightly chocolatey.

The taste leaves much to be desired. I would say the smokiness overpowers everything, but there's hardly any smoke flavor there and I can't even detect any other flavors. The taste is very empty, very lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation. Bitter. This one is hard to drink, mainly due to the poor (lack of) taste.

I had high hopes for this beer but was quite disappointed.

03-02-2008 04:59:20 | More by bkilpatr
dhartogs

2.7/5  rDev -32.8%

I felt like for a porter it had a bit much of a hops aroma, typical Stone, had this with two other people and we all felt the same. I love Porters but thought this was not a great smoked porter. Color, pour and head were excellent, it's a well made beer but not for me. I Porter is one of my favorite styles, but this I'll probably reach for something else.

01-16-2011 13:34:33 | More by dhartogs
Mayhem976

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -32.8%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

06-19-2009 01:00:08 | More by Mayhem976
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

On tap at the brewery after the tour. I have had this before but this one had more flavor. Dark black with a cocoa head. Smells smoky. This just tastes way too smoky for me, I wonder how they get the smoke flavor?? My cousin's exact words were :"You can't hide behind your IPA forever!". Needless to say the Stone employees did not take a liking to us. I bet this would be better with the chipotle peppers or vanilla beans to temper that smokiness.

10-04-2007 18:30:28 | More by ArrogantB
johunnic

07-18-2012 21:28:58 | More by johunnic
epicness

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

A - Deep brown color, borderline black. Nice lacing around the glass.

S - Tons of smoke. Also chocolate and coffee.

T - The taste is smokey malts, with chocolate and coffee just like the aroma, but there is also that black licorice taste as well.

M - Medium to full body beer. Pretty thick.

D - I'm sure if I liked the beer and it's style, it'd be a much easier beer to drink.

07-28-2009 15:14:41 | More by epicness

rangr514

08-20-2012 02:03:15 | More by rangr514
robhunta

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

A - poured with 5 inches of brown head and one and a half of beer. dark brown/black. clear. way too much foam

S - tough to tell at first because it is mostly head, as i wait for the head to clear and pour more in my glass i get a nice smokey, chocolate aroma.

T - Smokey/chocolate flavors much like the aroma

M - Nice smooth mouthfeel, though a bit tingly from the carbonation/bubbles

D - after fighting through the foam/waiting for it to clear, fairly drinkable, feels quite nice on the back of my tongue and throat. But way too much foam

Overall, I think I got a messed up batch, head/carbonation was out of control. I found the Smell and Taste to lack complexity.

*came back to edit my review because I poured the other half of my beer in the glass thinking maybe my pouring was the problem but it over foamed again, knocks down the drinkablilty, cant drink foam right?

12-19-2010 20:52:17 | More by robhunta
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.