Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,989 | Reviews: 1,802
2.85/5  rDev -28.8%

A ridiculous amount of carbonation translated into a ridiculous amount of foam (hard to call 4 3/4" of foam poured gently into a 5" high glass, head). I could feel very little carbonation from the glass, all wasted in foamy head, and had to drink straight from the bottle to get a feel for how much carbonation was present. It tasted better after the carbonation loss, not a great flavor, earthy. I could not find any chocolate, anywhere. I generally like Stone products, but this is a very pedestrian effort. To be honest, I can't believe this is the same beer that the majority of other reviewers rated! Maybe I just got a hold of a bad bottle, but usually that is indicated by too little carb, not too much. Not horrible, but definately disappointing.

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

Where's the smoke. Warning this is not a smoked porter, more like a sweet malty oak porter. I has a great thin black body with a good off-white head. But the smell is of a sweet porter or stout, no smoke. Mostly just a good porter but mostly just blah for a smoked porter. Smoke, I think not hence the taste suffers, just call it a porter and let it ride.

2.88/5  rDev -28%

I tried this over and over withe same results

Decent beer but it tastes like imitation smoke and has thin mouth feel but that is just my opinion

2.9/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a nice big head that falls fast leaves a thin layer of head with a pretty strong lacing. The color is black with dark brown color and an almost red color when the light shows through. The smell is smokey with a slight roasty character. This taste is very smokey, with very little roastiness, I sense very little characteristics of porter besides them, not that's there's many more. The mouthfeel was smooth and nice. Overall I don't see myself drinking much more of this. I may try again later.

2.9/5  rDev -27.5%

A - Pours solid brown with a thick foamy head that stays throughout the glass.

S - sweet and smokey - thats it

T - holy liquid smoke! Strong smoke, roasted malts and a spicy finish

M - Highly carbonated and thin bodied

D - With such a strong smoke taste one is enough.

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

I had a taster of this after a tour of the brewery. This beer is pretty decent, though it pales in comparison to Alaskan's Smoked Porter, which I happened to have had the night before.

It looks like most any porter, though notably - like all of Stone's beers - crystal clear. It feels more watery than I'd like my Porter, however.

The smoked character is the standout of both the taste and aroma, but it has a ham-like quality that I try to avoid in smoked beers. I would have used a similar amount of a more well-rounded smoked malt. More smoke, less meat.

2.94/5  rDev -26.5%

I was very excited to try this beer after a local brewery had a smoked IPA... I wanted more smoke! I love Stone so I figured this would be a good place to start...

Appearance is dark... basicly black juice.
Smell is chocolate/coffee/roast
I'm working on a bomber now, and at first I had maybe half a finger of head in my sniffer glass. But on my thrid (and final) pour I have zero head. My beer honestly looks like a glass of ink. Also, zero lacing. The head bubbled out like a glass of diet coke.

Taste is a let down, I was expecting smoke.. I got zero smoke. Maybe my taste buds suck, but I'm being honest here, I didn't taste smoke! Ok maybe a little.. if I imagine it.
Other then that its a pretty mild porter. Chocolate/coffee with a mix roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is blah, not smooth, not rough. The roast sticks around on the tongue like you'd expect from a porter or stout.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer.. Its a good solid porter, and nothing more. But sadly my expectations were let down. I was expecting a "Big beer" from stone, with lots of smoke. I want an imperial smoked porter that tastes like i'm eating some smoked ham!
Prost!

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

The aroma is about what I expected. It's smokey, toasty, malty, nutty, and mildly alcoholic. The appearance is red/brown with a nice foamy head. The taste is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is OK but not as thick as I was hoping for. Overall it's pretty good for a smoke but I don't really like it.

2.96/5  rDev -26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego!

2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

Stone's contribution to the world of extreme, or rather, offbeat porters is near-black in color with a creamy, off-white head. There are muted aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper. This is an extremely dry and bitter porter, with little malt sweetness to match the hop presence and dry, smokiness. The smoke flavors, though advertised as central, are really only second thoughts--complements to an otherwise typical robust porter. I could have handled more smoke, more sweetness, and more pronounced aromas all around.

I love the mouthfeel of this brew: it is dry, powerful, and heavy--something that really lives up to the 'robust' moniker. Unfortunately, the sacrifice for such a palate-challenging brew comes in drinkability. It's for sipping, remote from the industrial, quaffable origins of this style.

Overall, this is a tasty, spicy porter that is most notable for its rough-textured mouthfeel and lack of drinkability. If you want a really "smoky" porter, stick with something else (Left Hand's Smokejumper comes to mind).

Had a pretty good smell, but the taste just wasn't there. Very thin for a porter.

3.01/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance
This beer sports a tall tan head and lots of lacing. A thick dollop hangs around almost forever.

Aroma
This is indeed smokey. There is a nice deep fruitiness that hides beneath. Plenty of licorice is there too. Chocolate comes out and gives me something to actually enjoy.

Taste
Lots of smoke blankets chocolate and dark fruits. A grassy and pine hopping brings out a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel
Pretty much medium across the board. Medium carbonation and medium body. The finish is ashy and dry.

Overall
Not really my thing. The high level of smoke and sturdy hopping make this a bitter Porter.

3.01/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 20 oz pint glass.

A. Very dark, black with deep mahogany edges suggesting clarity. Two inch tight, tan head, great stability. Slowly disipates to lace.

S. Slight alcohol, roasted grain and maybe a hint of smoke. All inn all not a very strong nose on this one.

T. Surprisingly empty taste up front. Middle had some roasted grain and some smoke. Aftertaste of hops bitterness, not much though. As the beer warmed these flavors became more evident.

M. Slight carbontation, appropriate for the style. Surprisingly thin considering the style.

D. Drinkable. Overall seemed vacant to me. The framing is up and ready but there is no drywall, much less fittings, paint and furniture... Color me unimpressed.

3.02/5  rDev -24.5%

alwaya wanted to try this came in a 22oz bottle , this beer does nothing for me i just drank a smoked beer , and so thats it dont know what the fuss about this beer is but one i wont be drinking again great color too much head and just blah dont see the point of this beer i wonder how it taste with vanilla beans

3.02/5  rDev -24.5%

I see there are quite a few good reviews for this beer. Sorry to say I have to disagree. the appearance and smell of this beer is great. the taste is what left me disappointed. the coffee and hops hit your taste buds with a blast of joy, then it's all downhill. I'm not getting any sweet tones. The smoke comes through, then disaster. You're left with the taste of charcoal. Like you just licked the bottom of a grill. The mouthfeel of this one was also not to my liking. very light and carbonated. not what i expect from a porter. This is my first "smoked" beer and maybe it's supposed to be this way. but i will try it again if i ever find it on tap somewhere.

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Up to now, I've liked every Stone beer I've had the chance to try. This was almost true for the Smoked Porter, but it is the defining character, the smoke, that turned me off. Beautiful to behold in the glass. The nose was a surprising sweet, thin chocolate. Up front, a very nice robust porter. Then the smoke flavor emerged at the end, and I found it to be a disconcerting stale bar-smoke like flavor, rather than a peat or wood smoke. Had this been a straight porter, I think I would have loved it.

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a decently dark brown and lets just a little light through. The head is a meringue color with a small amount that settles quick.

S: Smells of dark roasted malts, a hint of smokiness and a little bit of bitterness. It's surprisingly subtle for a Stone product.

T/M: A medium to high amount of carbonation and a relatively light body for a dark beer. More roasted malt becomes prominent in the flavor with just a touch of char as well as a faint hint of unsweetened chocolate near the end.

It's not nearly as full flavored as their other offerings. Decent, but Stone offers many better beers.

Not very good. Eh, I'll pass

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

A - Opaque black with some brown highlights with a head that is velvety and dissipates to a tan froth that remains for a while

S - Immediate wafts of smokiness wood,

T - overwhelming smokiness - no subtlety here almost too much of a woody smoked taste lasts a long time after a while a hint of bitterness

M - smooth even creamy with slight carbonation

O - This would probably go well with a strong cheese and maybe some other foods- but by itself it is a little overwhelming in terms of the smokiness.

I might try this again if I had a food that would compliment it.

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: A very dark Porter. Nice color interpretation of this mild style
Smell: A different approach. Smokey malts give this a burnt smell, not at all unpleasant.
Taste: I have given this a few tastes now, this being my third bottle. I always approach it with an open mind hoping for something different, but alas, I am again slightly dissapointed.
Mouthfeel: Watery, bland, dissapointing
Drinkability: I know a lot of people love this beer, and porter is a classic style that I usually enjoy, but this beer just doesn't do it for me. I respect Stone a lot, they are one of my all time favorite breweries, I guess I am just not a fan of this beer. Not a bad choice by any means, I just prefer Stone's other, hoppier offerings.

3.08/5  rDev -23%

Honeyed brown liquid filled the glass and a half inch of delicately tan head bubbles forth. Rocky and creamy for several minutes before it becomes just a cap, leaving moderately sheety lacing.

It almost smells like there's smoke in here, but not really. Some light caramel and roast. There might be smoke, but it might just be me because I chose to drink this on a night when I burned leaves.

Wet malt, wet leaves, weak caramel malt, honey. A twinge of herbal, biting hop. Floral and fennel. A minuscule peat note dares you to find it when the beer warms to around fifty or fifty-five.

Thin, very nearly watery. A bit prickly. I anticipated something with a more pronounced flavor from Stone. I shan't be buying this again; my eye was towards extreme.

3.09/5  rDev -22.8%

Not a fan of smoked, but probably the best I've had.

3.09/5  rDev -22.8%

From 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A: Standard porter. Tons of lack of light passing through. Fairly thin head without the typical mocha color you want to see

S: I was really looking for a smoked smell here but instead I got a lot of malt. There is a slight smoked smell but it is very faint for the style.

T: Again I was expecting more of a smoked taste but instead got a fairly generic porter.

M: Medium body. Something is off here with the carbonation. It is not a matter of too much or too little but that it just doesn't seem right. Really hard to explain this one.

D: For a porter it really is fairly drinkable. Ive been on a heavy beer kick as of late and this is probably the only one that is remotely sessionable.

$5 for the bomber.

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: Dark brown with about a finger of light... very light tan head that dissapated shortley after arrival. There was some inconsistent lacing. I've seen much better.

Smell: I found the hops overpowered most of the nose, but there were the classic porter aromas of the roasted malts.

Taste: The only thing that made this beer interesting enough to score above average was the hoppiness. Otherwise, it's kinda lacking dimension and boldness.

Mouthfeel: The smokiness is inconsistent and the bitterness is largely derived from the hops with less of a sense of roasted malts.

Drinkability: Although it wasn't the best porter I've had, or close to it, it wasn't bad. However, with all the better options in the world, I will probably never have this again.

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I probably shouldn't rate this beer because I just really don't like "smoked" beers. The smoke in this one isn't overwhelming, but I'd still prefer it to be completely absent.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.