Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,775 | Hads: 4,042
2.94/5  rDev -26.9%

I was very excited to try this beer after a local brewery had a smoked IPA... I wanted more smoke! I love Stone so I figured this would be a good place to start...

Appearance is dark... basicly black juice.
Smell is chocolate/coffee/roast
I'm working on a bomber now, and at first I had maybe half a finger of head in my sniffer glass. But on my thrid (and final) pour I have zero head. My beer honestly looks like a glass of ink. Also, zero lacing. The head bubbled out like a glass of diet coke.

Taste is a let down, I was expecting smoke.. I got zero smoke. Maybe my taste buds suck, but I'm being honest here, I didn't taste smoke! Ok maybe a little.. if I imagine it.
Other then that its a pretty mild porter. Chocolate/coffee with a mix roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is blah, not smooth, not rough. The roast sticks around on the tongue like you'd expect from a porter or stout.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer.. Its a good solid porter, and nothing more. But sadly my expectations were let down. I was expecting a "Big beer" from stone, with lots of smoke. I want an imperial smoked porter that tastes like i'm eating some smoked ham!

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

The aroma is about what I expected. It's smokey, toasty, malty, nutty, and mildly alcoholic. The appearance is red/brown with a nice foamy head. The taste is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is OK but not as thick as I was hoping for. Overall it's pretty good for a smoke but I don't really like it.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego!

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

Stone's contribution to the world of extreme, or rather, offbeat porters is near-black in color with a creamy, off-white head. There are muted aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper. This is an extremely dry and bitter porter, with little malt sweetness to match the hop presence and dry, smokiness. The smoke flavors, though advertised as central, are really only second thoughts--complements to an otherwise typical robust porter. I could have handled more smoke, more sweetness, and more pronounced aromas all around.

I love the mouthfeel of this brew: it is dry, powerful, and heavy--something that really lives up to the 'robust' moniker. Unfortunately, the sacrifice for such a palate-challenging brew comes in drinkability. It's for sipping, remote from the industrial, quaffable origins of this style.

Overall, this is a tasty, spicy porter that is most notable for its rough-textured mouthfeel and lack of drinkability. If you want a really "smoky" porter, stick with something else (Left Hand's Smokejumper comes to mind).

3.01/5  rDev -25.1%

This beer sports a tall tan head and lots of lacing. A thick dollop hangs around almost forever.

This is indeed smokey. There is a nice deep fruitiness that hides beneath. Plenty of licorice is there too. Chocolate comes out and gives me something to actually enjoy.

Lots of smoke blankets chocolate and dark fruits. A grassy and pine hopping brings out a bitter finish.

Pretty much medium across the board. Medium carbonation and medium body. The finish is ashy and dry.

Not really my thing. The high level of smoke and sturdy hopping make this a bitter Porter.

3.01/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 20 oz pint glass.

A. Very dark, black with deep mahogany edges suggesting clarity. Two inch tight, tan head, great stability. Slowly disipates to lace.

S. Slight alcohol, roasted grain and maybe a hint of smoke. All inn all not a very strong nose on this one.

T. Surprisingly empty taste up front. Middle had some roasted grain and some smoke. Aftertaste of hops bitterness, not much though. As the beer warmed these flavors became more evident.

M. Slight carbontation, appropriate for the style. Surprisingly thin considering the style.

D. Drinkable. Overall seemed vacant to me. The framing is up and ready but there is no drywall, much less fittings, paint and furniture... Color me unimpressed.

3.02/5  rDev -24.9%

alwaya wanted to try this came in a 22oz bottle , this beer does nothing for me i just drank a smoked beer , and so thats it dont know what the fuss about this beer is but one i wont be drinking again great color too much head and just blah dont see the point of this beer i wonder how it taste with vanilla beans

3.02/5  rDev -24.9%

I see there are quite a few good reviews for this beer. Sorry to say I have to disagree. the appearance and smell of this beer is great. the taste is what left me disappointed. the coffee and hops hit your taste buds with a blast of joy, then it's all downhill. I'm not getting any sweet tones. The smoke comes through, then disaster. You're left with the taste of charcoal. Like you just licked the bottom of a grill. The mouthfeel of this one was also not to my liking. very light and carbonated. not what i expect from a porter. This is my first "smoked" beer and maybe it's supposed to be this way. but i will try it again if i ever find it on tap somewhere.

3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Up to now, I've liked every Stone beer I've had the chance to try. This was almost true for the Smoked Porter, but it is the defining character, the smoke, that turned me off. Beautiful to behold in the glass. The nose was a surprising sweet, thin chocolate. Up front, a very nice robust porter. Then the smoke flavor emerged at the end, and I found it to be a disconcerting stale bar-smoke like flavor, rather than a peat or wood smoke. Had this been a straight porter, I think I would have loved it.

3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a decently dark brown and lets just a little light through. The head is a meringue color with a small amount that settles quick.

S: Smells of dark roasted malts, a hint of smokiness and a little bit of bitterness. It's surprisingly subtle for a Stone product.

T/M: A medium to high amount of carbonation and a relatively light body for a dark beer. More roasted malt becomes prominent in the flavor with just a touch of char as well as a faint hint of unsweetened chocolate near the end.

It's not nearly as full flavored as their other offerings. Decent, but Stone offers many better beers.

3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

A - Opaque black with some brown highlights with a head that is velvety and dissipates to a tan froth that remains for a while

S - Immediate wafts of smokiness wood,

T - overwhelming smokiness - no subtlety here almost too much of a woody smoked taste lasts a long time after a while a hint of bitterness

M - smooth even creamy with slight carbonation

O - This would probably go well with a strong cheese and maybe some other foods- but by itself it is a little overwhelming in terms of the smokiness.

I might try this again if I had a food that would compliment it.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: A very dark Porter. Nice color interpretation of this mild style
Smell: A different approach. Smokey malts give this a burnt smell, not at all unpleasant.
Taste: I have given this a few tastes now, this being my third bottle. I always approach it with an open mind hoping for something different, but alas, I am again slightly dissapointed.
Mouthfeel: Watery, bland, dissapointing
Drinkability: I know a lot of people love this beer, and porter is a classic style that I usually enjoy, but this beer just doesn't do it for me. I respect Stone a lot, they are one of my all time favorite breweries, I guess I am just not a fan of this beer. Not a bad choice by any means, I just prefer Stone's other, hoppier offerings.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

Honeyed brown liquid filled the glass and a half inch of delicately tan head bubbles forth. Rocky and creamy for several minutes before it becomes just a cap, leaving moderately sheety lacing.

It almost smells like there's smoke in here, but not really. Some light caramel and roast. There might be smoke, but it might just be me because I chose to drink this on a night when I burned leaves.

Wet malt, wet leaves, weak caramel malt, honey. A twinge of herbal, biting hop. Floral and fennel. A minuscule peat note dares you to find it when the beer warms to around fifty or fifty-five.

Thin, very nearly watery. A bit prickly. I anticipated something with a more pronounced flavor from Stone. I shan't be buying this again; my eye was towards extreme.

3.09/5  rDev -23.1%

From 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A: Standard porter. Tons of lack of light passing through. Fairly thin head without the typical mocha color you want to see

S: I was really looking for a smoked smell here but instead I got a lot of malt. There is a slight smoked smell but it is very faint for the style.

T: Again I was expecting more of a smoked taste but instead got a fairly generic porter.

M: Medium body. Something is off here with the carbonation. It is not a matter of too much or too little but that it just doesn't seem right. Really hard to explain this one.

D: For a porter it really is fairly drinkable. Ive been on a heavy beer kick as of late and this is probably the only one that is remotely sessionable.

$5 for the bomber.

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: Dark brown with about a finger of light... very light tan head that dissapated shortley after arrival. There was some inconsistent lacing. I've seen much better.

Smell: I found the hops overpowered most of the nose, but there were the classic porter aromas of the roasted malts.

Taste: The only thing that made this beer interesting enough to score above average was the hoppiness. Otherwise, it's kinda lacking dimension and boldness.

Mouthfeel: The smokiness is inconsistent and the bitterness is largely derived from the hops with less of a sense of roasted malts.

Drinkability: Although it wasn't the best porter I've had, or close to it, it wasn't bad. However, with all the better options in the world, I will probably never have this again.

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I probably shouldn't rate this beer because I just really don't like "smoked" beers. The smoke in this one isn't overwhelming, but I'd still prefer it to be completely absent.

3.11/5  rDev -22.6%

Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of smoked beers and when I do have one, it is usually a hybrid.

A- Dark as dark is. Poured into a wine tasting glass, this had a nice head that was fine to drink through.
S- Not much of a nose, which surprised me for a smoked ale.
T- While there wasn't much smoke in the aroma, it was strong in the taste.
M- If I am getting that much smoke in the taste, I would like more malt body to bring it together.
D- I didn't even make it through a 4 ounce taste.

If you ever have the chance, try the brandy aged version of this. That is a world better.

3.12/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a slightly chilled 22 oz. bottle into a Ename chalice, the Smoked Porter was midnight black with a thin tan head which left only slight lace. This was my first smoked beer, and although I have heard good things, I was a bit skeptical. Furthermore, I should say that I'm generally not a big fan of Porters. The aroma was extremely sweet, with flavors of caramel and malt but no smoke, and was not very appealing to me. The taste however was much more balanced and a pleasant surprise. It was a bit sweet, but not nearly as much as the aroma would lead you to believe. There was a definite smoky taste, that if anything was more subtle then overwhelming. The main story here was the richness of the malt, which the smoke did a fine job of balancing out, making this porter much more enjoyable to me then they normally are. However, there was a fairly strong alcohol taste for only 5.9% ABV. The mouthfeel was rich and a bit syrupy from all the malt, but the balance provided by the smoke made this a drinkable porter worth checking out.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours out a dark brown color with a light tan head, leaving pretty good retention and some lacing. Aroma is roasted with a little bit of chocolate, some caramel too. Some caramel in the taste, I definately get roastiness but the smokiness is very subdued. Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation. Pretty easy to drink beer, I'd probably have it again, but wouldn't seek it out.

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Reviewed on 7/19/2008 on another website:

Bottle that was a few month's past it's enjoy by date. It poured black with a tan head that was gone within 2 minutes. It smelled like someone lit a campfire in the distance. I could really taste the smokiness.

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Has a three finger head with a tan color that lasts for awhile. The smell is faint with smoked coffee and dark chocolate. The first taste that hits my tongue is the taste of smoked oak and roasted bitter coffee. There is hints of dried fruit and little dark chocolate. Overall I'm disappointed with this porter. It's not by any means bad but there are a lot better porters out there.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

The Smoked Porter poured a dark black with a semi-creamy tan head that dissipated rather quickly. Suprisingly, there was not much of an aroma to this beer just a slight malt smell. I wasn't very impressed with the taste either. It had a very bitter, hoppy finish for a porter. As it warmed a roasted malty start became more pronounced. I was expecting a lot from this beer and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it was nowhere near what I though it would be. I didn't notice any smokiness in the nose or taste either.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into a La Moneuse tulip lazily, the beer still manages to raise a mighty, creamy, big bubbled head, the color of creamed coffee. It settles after a few minutes, leaving nice lacing.
The body is almost opaque, but ruby peeks through a bit.

Smell is light, sugary, and only mildly roasty. Not too much here.

Taste is light, creamy, and mildly roasty. Very enjoyable. Mildly bitter. Would benefit from a good bit more smoke and chocolate flacors.

Very light, even while knowing its ABV. Still, makes it quite drinkable. A nice beer for sessions, although on the strong side.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%

The appearance was dissapointing to me. It was a deep deep mahogony that one could see through. The head was tan but small. It quickly dissapted leaving a small lace and a very thin layer of bubbles in the pattern of leapord spots. That was cool.

The smell was of roasted malts, very stout like.

The taste was very good. Not what I am used to in a porter. It was sweet but had a smoked taste, hence the style. A little bit of hops were present in the taste but they were in the background.

The mouthfeel left something to be desired. It was a little thin, the carbonation help make the mouthfeel more complex.

The drinkability in this beer is low. The taste was pretty powerful and I myself would not want much more of this. A decent beer but one is enough.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%

A- Pours dark brown with a two finger head

S- Chocolate and smokey malt notes carry it

T- This was the first and last smoked porter I have tried. It reminded me of having a cigarette or snuff taste in my mouth. Definitely not one of my favorites from an awesome brewery.

M- Medium body with medium carbonation.

O- This is not my style of beer of at all. I love porters both american and imperial, but the smoked porters are not for me. I love smoked BBQ food. This beer reminded me more of a tobacco like flavor.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.