1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,290 | Reviews: 1,724 | Show All Ratings:
beernut7

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Fairly light bodied porter. Lightly smoked flavor with little other distinctive character. Not the best, but one of the more drinkable smokers on a quantity basis.

05-09-2002 06:19:00 | More by beernut7
Beaver13

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

The Smoked Porter poured a dark black with a semi-creamy tan head that dissipated rather quickly. Suprisingly, there was not much of an aroma to this beer just a slight malt smell. I wasn't very impressed with the taste either. It had a very bitter, hoppy finish for a porter. As it warmed a roasted malty start became more pronounced. I was expecting a lot from this beer and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it was nowhere near what I though it would be. I didn't notice any smokiness in the nose or taste either.

12-25-2003 04:41:25 | More by Beaver13
Ellbert

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

The appearance was dissapointing to me. It was a deep deep mahogony that one could see through. The head was tan but small. It quickly dissapted leaving a small lace and a very thin layer of bubbles in the pattern of leapord spots. That was cool.

The smell was of roasted malts, very stout like.

The taste was very good. Not what I am used to in a porter. It was sweet but had a smoked taste, hence the style. A little bit of hops were present in the taste but they were in the background.

The mouthfeel left something to be desired. It was a little thin, the carbonation help make the mouthfeel more complex.

The drinkability in this beer is low. The taste was pretty powerful and I myself would not want much more of this. A decent beer but one is enough.

01-10-2004 15:55:29 | More by Ellbert
jhammerly

Nebraska

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a very dark brown with a nice cocoa-like head. A sweet smelling beer that tends to be too sweet, and a bit of roastiness that is expected in this type of beer. I didn't detect much smokiness, which I was looking forward to. There was also a lack of smoke in the flavor as well. Some light bitterness and roasted malt was present. Mouthfeel was medium, but not much. I could maybe settle for 12 ounces instead of 22. The bomber was a bit much. I was disappointed by the lack of smoke flavor and the sweetness. But all in all, it is still a good beer in smaller doses. Probably my least favorite from Stone.

04-16-2006 02:40:45 | More by jhammerly
argock

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date, but there is a gargoyle.

A: Very drak brown with clumpy tan 2 finger head and plenty of lace.

S: Very underwhelming with only woody, mesquite charcoal odors being very easy to detect. Maybe a little sweetness, but pretty small-scale.

T: The charcoal and smoked flavors are the dominate ones in this brew with some faint coffee and bitter chocolate flavors present but playing a minor role. The smoky flavor grows as the beer warms.

M: Inconsistent as it seems thin at times and more full-bodied at other times, with more body coming through with time. Aftertaste is short and smoke-dominated.

D: The lighter body lends itself to better drinkability, but the utter domination of the smoked flavors grow tiresome by the end of this bomber. Not terrible, but not a beer I'll return to very often.

03-17-2008 06:22:38 | More by argock
mklinger

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Jet black with creamy mocha head. Plenty of lacing left behind.

Aroma was bitter coffee. Bit of earthy hops. Not much smoke presence.

Taste was that of a solid porter with just a hint of smoke. I was surprised by the subdued nature of the smoke. Usually Stone is pushing some limits. I found this to be a surprisingly low-key beer. Well, brewed, decent flavors, but subdued.

Mouthfeel was good. More ale like than stout like, making this a fairly easy to drink beer. It just wasn't a beer I was excited to drink.

10-02-2010 10:24:29 | More by mklinger
SWMeyer4141

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Had this beer sitting around for a month now figured It was a nice pairing with a Turkey Chili. Poured into my Sam Smith pint glass.

Appearance-Very dark brown with a few hints of red. Alot more carbonation than I thought, a pretty big 3 inch light brown head.

Smell-Upon first whiff got some dark chocolate. Definitely some dark fruits in there as well, as it warms you can get some hops, now I think I'm ready to give it a try.

Taste-The smoke definitely comes out in the first sip. With a slighty hoppy finish. About 30 seconds after the finish a smokiness is still resting on my tongue. Coffee and chocolate are present. Towards the end a real awkward numbess was on my tongue.

Mouthfeel-Very light and smooth. Alot of carbonation.

Overall-This is one of those Stone offerings I always walk by but never purchase. I think It may continue to stay that way. There were some things I liked, but some I didn't.

04-19-2011 02:58:42 | More by SWMeyer4141
BeerDocT

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Served in a chilled tulip glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Pours out a nice, jet-black color so indicative of porters and stouts. Creamy and small head. Somewhat translucent and not thick, inky black.

-Smell 3.5: Smells very much like a porter, but has a subdued bouquet. Strange, for a "smoked" beer, I do not smell much smokiness.

-Taste 3.00: Front is slightly sour which leads to the middle which is very nice: toasted grains, but the grains in question still maintain a certain "grassiness" that is indicative of lighter beers. I also get a huge hit of that evil bleu cheese hop that I despise. Nasty. Finish is all hops and smoke and is pleasing. I definitely taste the high alpha Columbus hops here, swirling in the background, fighting against the bleu cheese. Aftertaste is long and dry and smoky. Mixed bag.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Good mouthfeel. Smooth and silky. Spot on for this style.

-Overall 3.25: This is a good drinking beer, but I imagine it would overpower any food you consume with it. My opinion is that this is an okay beer as far as taste goes, but that Stone needs to upgrade several elements of this beer. Room for improvement in several areas. Like getting rid of the bleu cheese hop.

09-02-2012 04:28:59 | More by BeerDocT
StoutHunter

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Smoked Porter over a month ago for $5.09 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been wanting to try this beer, but I haven't seen it around in a long time so when i saw a couple bottles on the shelf I made sure to grab one to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, so it might be a little old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty standard for Stone with their typical gargoyle on it, it's not that bad looking. It poured a very dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a little bit of a ruby hue around the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of light mocha colored head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color is on par for the style and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts with some dark and roasted malts sticking out the most and there's some nice chocolate and coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of medium smokey aromas with some caramel and toffee like aromas that stick out much more than I would expect and there's a lighter hop aroma in the background. This beer has a decent aroma, but I wish the roasted malts and smokey aspects stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a roasted dark malts and chocolate like taste that quickly gives way to a lighter medium smokey flavor. Up next comes the caramel and toffee flavors that are lighter then they were in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that has a charred like flavor to it along with a lighter hop flavor with a slightly charred malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer but just like the aroma the roast and smoke didn't seem to stick out as much as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, thin, watery, fairly dry, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, it felt too thin and over carbonated for the style.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, there was nothing about the flavor or aroma that really kept me coming back for more, it wasn't as bold and as aggressive as I expect most beers from Stone to be, so to me it felt a little out of place. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling but the flavor didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think a glass would be enough for me, a whole bomber is a little too much for me and after one pour it started to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was very good and it's one of the best looking Porter that I've seen in a while. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was out of place for the style and it just didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy a fresh bottle just to see how different it is but as far as getting a beer just to enjoy and drink I don't think I would get this again, it just doesn't keep me coming back for more. I wouldn't really recommend this beer, it's not really smokey or porter like enough to recommend. All in all I thought this beer was a disappointment, I had high hopes for this one since stone rarely disappoints, but this one just fell flat and it didn't really highlight those porter and smokey flavors and aromas as well as I would like. Better luck next time guys, this beer just didn't do it for me, but I would still like to try the chipotle version of it.

09-14-2013 03:53:40 | More by StoutHunter
Jacobob10

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Brought this bottle back with me from San Diego. Mmmmm fresh Stone beer.

Dark brown pour with a small tan head. The head disappates rather fast, no lacing either. Surprisingly mild aroma. There's some roasted malts there, I just need to stick my nose into the mug to find them. Good taste, the malts taste more burnt than anything here. Some smokiness is noticable but it doesn't really strike me as a "smoked" beer. Mouthfeel is dry and doesn't amaze me.

Overall, I wasn't amazed with this beer. It's decent, but there's better available from Stone. I kind of wish I drank half of this and used the other half in a pot of chili. Mmmmm now THAT would have been delicious.

11-19-2005 03:58:16 | More by Jacobob10
berserker256

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

It poured into the glass the color of of coffee with a thick light tan head. I was expecting a bit more of a smell. I guess seeing that it's a smoked porter I was expecting a campfire or jerky aroma. I didn't really pick up any of that at all. The taste didn't hit me as smokey either. Just kind of an average to decent porter. I couldn't really detect chocolate, licorice, coffee, smoke, or any of that other crap the bottle had promised. Just a decent dark beer with a minute bitter aftertaste and low carbonation. Maybe it was sitting on the store shelf for a while or something. I've had a smoked bock before that reeked of smoke flavor in the past. I figured this beer would be similar. It wasn't even close.

08-13-2007 20:26:42 | More by berserker256
drperm

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

As Stone is as of yet unavailable in my state (NC), I must continue to seek it out when visiting friends abroad (VA). As this particular offering I found to be averagish-good, I'm not sorely lamenting its absence at my LBS...yet it was still worth trying to be sure.

Appearance: Coca-cola, pure and simple

Aroma: Weak smoke permeates all else.

Taste: Smoky porter! An American take on an English style mixed with Rauchbier.

Overall, it's a one-trick pony, not especially smoky (but then again I love Rauchbier). I kinda dig it -- one caveat, though, if you're not into the smoky beer thing, don't bother with this one!

06-02-2008 13:34:30 | More by drperm
joshuadlight

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Had this on tap at Cricket's in Lubbock.
The beer just didn't impress me. Stone always seems to be pushing the boundaries of taste and overall beer experience, but this thing seems pretty tame. It looked fine, dark with a small tan head. The smell was sweeter than I expected and I even had trouble finding any smoke in the nose. The same goes for the taste. Biscuity malts, no smoke, no carbonation, no balance. Not a special mouthfeel. Drinkable enough. If you like it.

03-02-2009 03:43:26 | More by joshuadlight
osusullins

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Sampled a bottle poured into a pint glass. Appearance is dark with thick, white head. The smell is very smokey with a hint of toffee and malt. The smoke is very dominant in the taste of this beer which is what you want in a smoked porter, however there seems to be a lack of balance. There is a slight estery taste, but it is very subtle and is gone almost as soon as the palate detects it. As the beer warms in the glass the toffee starts to become more pronounced. This beer is good, however I can think of many smoked porters I would reach for before I grab this again.

10-29-2011 02:03:00 | More by osusullins
loren01

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Poured from bomber a reddish black color with a 2 finger width tannish frothy head
S: Smells pretty earthy, you can also easily pick up on the smoky aroma.
T: Tastes smoky, like how stuff BBQ'd with mesquite charcoal. Slight bitter aftertaste. Also some dark chocolate flavors.
M: Medium to heavy bodied.
D: Smell was nice, however the taste didn't do much for me really. Never been a fan of dark chocolate and there were a lot of the same flavors in this beer as are in dark chocolate. I've had better porters, but overall not too bad, something different than the norm.

05-25-2006 11:05:56 | More by loren01
selecter70

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

mmm porters! There's a reason to old "Porter Belly" phenomenon. I snagged this 22oz bottle from Trader Joe's and supped with it (pork chops). The pour hinted at something exciting, as it showed near black with reddish edges & a small burnt beige head that quickly left, with off-white minimal lace. The aroma held an unexpected hop quality & minmal malts & smoke. The flavor likewise pushed hop bitterness at the sacrifice of smoked malts & chocolate-coffee elements that just reared their taste. By no means a bad pint, just a bit too hoppy for my porter wants.

01-28-2009 00:14:51 | More by selecter70
johnnymauler

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a decent beer, I'm just not too crazy about it. First off the smell reminds me of a smoldering ash tray in a bar which turned me off at first. As the beer warmed up in the glass I enjoyed it a little more. It has a nice smoked nutty flavor with hints of chocolate taffy and mocha, but a little one dimensional. I'm not sure if I would buy this beer again, would like to find something a little richer and with more distinct flavors.

09-05-2013 00:48:40 | More by johnnymauler
BeerBelcher

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I thought this was a decent tasting beer and a good porter, but pretty marginal in its smoked component compared to other smoked porter's I've had (Alaskan) or rachbiers.

This beer poured a slightly thick black, with a pretty abundant off-white head. Aroma was pretty minimal, but offered up some nice chocolate malt (burned pizza crust) roastiness. Flavor was decently roasty, but not very smokey to my palate (although other folks I split the bottle with disagreed). Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

Not a bad beer, but I wasn't hugely impressed by it. Definitely recommended though.

11-04-2007 19:03:25 | More by BeerBelcher
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I just could not get as excited over this one as most people are. While the thiock body and rich tastes found in most Stone beers was present, the smoke overwhelmed all other scents and flavors. I did detect some chocolate and coffe in the nose and palate, but again, I had to fight through too much smoke to get there.

I would enjoy this beer much more as just a Porter, that hasn't been smoked,

05-21-2008 15:33:52 | More by kimcgolf
jrallen34

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

I had such high hopes for this beer. I love porter and I love smokey beers so how could this go wrong? Sadly, I was wrong.

The beer pours black with light tan head that is big, 3 fingers high with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is really light and doesn't bring forth nice smokiest that you would expect. The smoke is there just really light with a tad of chocolate.

The taste is really super light as well, you can barely get any smoke at all and just a light coffee taste.

Mouthfeel is solid nothing great, and this is just a bland beer that is not very drinkable.

11-01-2009 14:05:13 | More by jrallen34
beertaster13

Washington

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

I love Stone offerings as much as the next guy but the smoked porter did not do my tastebuds justice. It is a good beer but from Stone you expect incredible with a capital I. Pours a ruby dark color with a creamy head that grows to an astonishing level. The smell is of roasted malts and mocha roast, smokiness. Taste is where it fell off the charts, hint of mocha and cream but not as full bodies as I would have liked, lighter than expected. Feels light in the mouth, un appealing. Drinkable for a nice meal but not that dessert beer I hoped for that is a meal of its own.

05-30-2004 22:44:12 | More by beertaster13
pants678

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Picked up a 22oz of this one for the big game to enjoy with a meal of bratwurst and sauerkraut. Poured very dark, close to black with a lightly tanned head. The unique smoke flavor doesn't seem to apparent immediately, but it is there if you hold for a moment. It's also in the after-taste. The smoke is strong but not overpowering, however, this is the only aspect I found original about this porter. Normal texture, tastes of coffee and fairly smooth. Otherwise seemed like a fairly standard, albeit, well made porter. This won't be a preference, I think.

02-02-2009 22:06:26 | More by pants678
Avagadro

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Nearly opaque, with hints of molasses towards the top of the glass. This brew pours with a vigorous head that is quite persistent.

S: Dark chocolate, sourdough bread, and piney hops are present, but faint in this brew's faint bouquet.

T: Deliciously roasted barley combines with American grown hops to deliver an enjoyable experience. The roast and hops don't conflict as they typically do when paired together. I'm disappointed in the total absence of smoke.

M: The first thing you notice about this brew is its heavy carbonation. The thick mouthfeel and roasty aftertaste are quickly scrubbed from your palette by the bubbles.

D: This brew was delicious, but let me down on a couple of key points: there was little bouquet, no smoke, and way too much carbonation. A good beer, but not one of Stone's best works.

11-16-2009 04:31:58 | More by Avagadro
bobhits

Kentucky

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Smoke is an odd smell in beers. They come off as a strong sour note at the top without much sweetness. Clear alcohol notes are in there. The roasted malt is there at the finish, Perhaps a touch of liquorish with a hint of coffee in the nose. I want to say vanilla and chocolate but I don't think those are in there. I'm mostly picking up the alcohol, smoke, liquorish, and some coffee.

Pours brown, turns black in the glass, with good head, great retention, and just enough body. Impressive to say the least.

Beers like this make me wish I knew more from those taste wheels. The malt isn't sweet or sour, the flavor hits the front of the tongue which indicates not sour, but the smoke is clearly a very unique flavor for the malt. Clear notes of chocolate (very much on the dark bitter bakers chocolate side, even more than most), coffee. There isn't any sweet notes in this beer. I think it would be amazing with sweeter foods, but I have nothing like that to try with it. I can vouch form past experience that this stuff is just amazing with roast chicken and BBQ. A rare thing with beer is that imo this is far better with food than by itself. I highly recommend pairing this with food.

Great carbonation gives this beer a lot of drink ability and a creamy mouth feel. That said it's a touch to thin all things considered.

I think stone for this very "unstone like" beer. It's a very different porter and a truly interesting experience. Scored as an alone drink and not as something to pair with food. Scores would go up in taste to with the right pairing. By itself this is very interesting but doesn't rank that highly.

12-06-2010 02:39:15 | More by bobhits
DavoleBomb

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: A good bit of carbonation in this one. Black color. Three fingers of frothy/creamy light tan head. Retention is good and sparse irregular lacing is left.

3.5 S: I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of smoke in this. I expected something a bit more badass from Stone. Anyway, it still smells good. Chocolate with a moderate neutral malt sweetness. A touch of graininess. Smoke is subdued, but it does add a touch of bacon. If this was 10X stronger, it be damn good.

3.0 T: This is a well crafted brew, but it isn't very exciting. Subtle chocolate, subtle roast, and a subtler smoke. The strongest flavor is neutral malt sweetness.

4.0 M: Despite a medium body, this has a lot of creaminess. Good moderate carbonation. Very nice here.

3.5 D: Stone was one of my first loves, but ever since drinking the beers of hundreds of breweries, they don't seem too impressive anymore. Sometimes I wish I had an undeveloped palate again. In any case, this is a tasty, easy drinker.

01-25-2012 23:59:06 | More by DavoleBomb
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.