Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

On tap at the brewery after the tour. I have had this before but this one had more flavor. Dark black with a cocoa head. Smells smoky. This just tastes way too smoky for me, I wonder how they get the smoke flavor?? My cousin's exact words were :"You can't hide behind your IPA forever!". Needless to say the Stone employees did not take a liking to us. I bet this would be better with the chipotle peppers or vanilla beans to temper that smokiness.

ArrogantB, Oct 04, 2007

johunnic, Jul 18, 2012

wiescins, Oct 27, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

A - Deep brown color, borderline black. Nice lacing around the glass.

S - Tons of smoke. Also chocolate and coffee.

T - The taste is smokey malts, with chocolate and coffee just like the aroma, but there is also that black licorice taste as well.

M - Medium to full body beer. Pretty thick.

D - I'm sure if I liked the beer and it's style, it'd be a much easier beer to drink.

epicness, Jul 28, 2009

jk3, Apr 01, 2012

m_p_snyder, Mar 17, 2014

rangr514, Aug 20, 2012

Dbrckm, Sep 02, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

A - poured with 5 inches of brown head and one and a half of beer. dark brown/black. clear. way too much foam

S - tough to tell at first because it is mostly head, as i wait for the head to clear and pour more in my glass i get a nice smokey, chocolate aroma.

T - Smokey/chocolate flavors much like the aroma

M - Nice smooth mouthfeel, though a bit tingly from the carbonation/bubbles

D - after fighting through the foam/waiting for it to clear, fairly drinkable, feels quite nice on the back of my tongue and throat. But way too much foam

Overall, I think I got a messed up batch, head/carbonation was out of control. I found the Smell and Taste to lack complexity.

*came back to edit my review because I poured the other half of my beer in the glass thinking maybe my pouring was the problem but it over foamed again, knocks down the drinkablilty, cant drink foam right?

robhunta, Dec 19, 2010

Zkman87, Jan 27, 2013

swungomonkey, Nov 26, 2012

jsboates, Apr 25, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -30.7%

When deciding what beer we wanted to taste today, Sheryl said, “Try something dark.” So I grabbed a porter. It’s dark! Plus, I have been on a porter kick lately. Last month I was hooked on reds and the month before that IPAs. Next month, maybe I will switch to Belgian beers! Speaking of Stone, we were just in San Diego for Thanksgiving and visited the brewery. I couldn’t be that close and not visit. The brewery was nice, but it wasn’t as big as I thought. I did get to see some of the 12/12/12, and the 11/11/11 that has been aged in red wine barrels. I would rather try that one than the 12/12/12. At any rate, today we are drinking the Stone Smoked Porter. I had the Alaskan Smoked Porter a few weeks ago for the first time. Beer bloggers are raving about the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Not sure why… it was just OK. But the way people talk about this beer, it will be better. Let’s drink, people!

In the Glass: This beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a really nice head, too. A white head that leaves a gorgeous lace on the glass. For a beer that is only $3.99 a bomber, regardless of the ABV, it is worth buying to see/experience this head. I haven’t even tasted it yet and it was worth 4 bucks. Let’s see what it smells like.

Nose: Before I smell this, know that I had a smoked porter last night at Fate Brewing Company here in Scottsdale. They are producing some incredible beers, and their smoked porter is excellent. As it gets close to room temperature, the smokiness really comes out and leaves an aftertaste like I just smoked a cigarette. It is lovely! So the Stone has some tough competition here… and it smells OK. It has more chocolate aroma than it does smokey notes. But that’s OK. I like chocolate, too. I might be picking up some burnt caramel/vanilla notes toward the end there.

Flavor: The flavor is not as big as I expected. Granted, if you look at the price, it fits. But the expectation that I get from Stone is that their beers are “epic” and loaded with flavor. This one is not. It’s decent, don’t get me wrong. But it is not something worth writing home about. The best part of this beer is the aftertaste. Not really getting much smoke on the palate. If I am getting anything, it is dark chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It sort of just slides across the tongue and is gone. There is not much going on in the mouth here. I expected something thick, fluffy, and something that would have me excited to take a second sip. But this beer, in regards to the mouthfeel, is pretty boring.

Aftertaste: Here we go. The aftertaste. What makes the Fate smoked porter good is the aftertaste. That is what makes this one tolerable. The ABV is pretty low on this, under 6%. But as a porter, I expect something a little thicker with a little more flavor. The aftertaste is where you get the smoke flavors. Still not much flavor, but the aftertaste is still here a few minutes after I swallowed. This is good, but not the best offering from Stone. Sorry guys, but Fate Brewing has you beat on the smoked porter.

rickyleepotts, Dec 10, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

A: Dark brownish black, fluffy tan head with very long retention but little lacing.

S: Very strong smokey smell, fairly sweet, like vanilla or caramel. Also surprisingly boozy considering the low ABV, which gives it a bit of a medicinal edge.

T/M: Lots of sweet malts up front: caramel, vanilla, roasted flavors. The sweetness eventually subsides a little to make way for some smokey, burnt flavors and bitter hops. The mouthfeel is really smooth and creamy, probably the best aspect of this beer.

O: The first Stone beer I'm not really crazy about. Too sweet, and the malty, smokey sweetness hangs over everything. Underneath there seems to be a nice beer hiding out but any additional flavors are mostly just overpowered.

sevenarts, Apr 22, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

A - Pours solid brown with a thick foamy head that stays throughout the glass.

S - sweet and smokey - thats it

T - holy liquid smoke! Strong smoke, roasted malts and a spicy finish

M - Highly carbonated and thin bodied

D - With such a strong smoke taste one is enough.

Yesac, Sep 22, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

A ridiculous amount of carbonation translated into a ridiculous amount of foam (hard to call 4 3/4" of foam poured gently into a 5" high glass, head). I could feel very little carbonation from the glass, all wasted in foamy head, and had to drink straight from the bottle to get a feel for how much carbonation was present. It tasted better after the carbonation loss, not a great flavor, earthy. I could not find any chocolate, anywhere. I generally like Stone products, but this is a very pedestrian effort. To be honest, I can't believe this is the same beer that the majority of other reviewers rated! Maybe I just got a hold of a bad bottle, but usually that is indicated by too little carb, not too much. Not horrible, but definately disappointing.

kegger22, Jul 20, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

Where's the smoke. Warning this is not a smoked porter, more like a sweet malty oak porter. I has a great thin black body with a good off-white head. But the smell is of a sweet porter or stout, no smoke. Mostly just a good porter but mostly just blah for a smoked porter. Smoke, I think not hence the taste suffers, just call it a porter and let it ride.

Higravity, Nov 03, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a nice big head that falls fast leaves a thin layer of head with a pretty strong lacing. The color is black with dark brown color and an almost red color when the light shows through. The smell is smokey with a slight roasty character. This taste is very smokey, with very little roastiness, I sense very little characteristics of porter besides them, not that's there's many more. The mouthfeel was smooth and nice. Overall I don't see myself drinking much more of this. I may try again later.

Erdinger2003, Mar 14, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

CraftFan5, Jan 30, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

BrianBeers1030, Nov 14, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

The aroma is about what I expected. It's smokey, toasty, malty, nutty, and mildly alcoholic. The appearance is red/brown with a nice foamy head. The taste is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is OK but not as thick as I was hoping for. Overall it's pretty good for a smoke but I don't really like it.

nick76, Nov 25, 2008
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.