Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

The aroma is about what I expected. It's smokey, toasty, malty, nutty, and mildly alcoholic. The appearance is red/brown with a nice foamy head. The taste is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is OK but not as thick as I was hoping for. Overall it's pretty good for a smoke but I don't really like it.

nick76, Nov 25, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego!

Exner83, May 10, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

I was very excited to try this beer after a local brewery had a smoked IPA... I wanted more smoke! I love Stone so I figured this would be a good place to start...

Appearance is dark... basicly black juice.
Smell is chocolate/coffee/roast
I'm working on a bomber now, and at first I had maybe half a finger of head in my sniffer glass. But on my thrid (and final) pour I have zero head. My beer honestly looks like a glass of ink. Also, zero lacing. The head bubbled out like a glass of diet coke.

Taste is a let down, I was expecting smoke.. I got zero smoke. Maybe my taste buds suck, but I'm being honest here, I didn't taste smoke! Ok maybe a little.. if I imagine it.
Other then that its a pretty mild porter. Chocolate/coffee with a mix roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is blah, not smooth, not rough. The roast sticks around on the tongue like you'd expect from a porter or stout.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer.. Its a good solid porter, and nothing more. But sadly my expectations were let down. I was expecting a "Big beer" from stone, with lots of smoke. I want an imperial smoked porter that tastes like i'm eating some smoked ham!
Prost!

Arknot, May 25, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

Up to now, I've liked every Stone beer I've had the chance to try. This was almost true for the Smoked Porter, but it is the defining character, the smoke, that turned me off. Beautiful to behold in the glass. The nose was a surprising sweet, thin chocolate. Up front, a very nice robust porter. Then the smoke flavor emerged at the end, and I found it to be a disconcerting stale bar-smoke like flavor, rather than a peat or wood smoke. Had this been a straight porter, I think I would have loved it.

Brent, Aug 14, 2002
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

Appearance
This beer sports a tall tan head and lots of lacing. A thick dollop hangs around almost forever.

Aroma
This is indeed smokey. There is a nice deep fruitiness that hides beneath. Plenty of licorice is there too. Chocolate comes out and gives me something to actually enjoy.

Taste
Lots of smoke blankets chocolate and dark fruits. A grassy and pine hopping brings out a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel
Pretty much medium across the board. Medium carbonation and medium body. The finish is ashy and dry.

Overall
Not really my thing. The high level of smoke and sturdy hopping make this a bitter Porter.

MbpBugeye, Apr 29, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

I see there are quite a few good reviews for this beer. Sorry to say I have to disagree. the appearance and smell of this beer is great. the taste is what left me disappointed. the coffee and hops hit your taste buds with a blast of joy, then it's all downhill. I'm not getting any sweet tones. The smoke comes through, then disaster. You're left with the taste of charcoal. Like you just licked the bottom of a grill. The mouthfeel of this one was also not to my liking. very light and carbonated. not what i expect from a porter. This is my first "smoked" beer and maybe it's supposed to be this way. but i will try it again if i ever find it on tap somewhere.

ditch, Aug 10, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

I had a taster of this after a tour of the brewery. This beer is pretty decent, though it pales in comparison to Alaskan's Smoked Porter, which I happened to have had the night before.

It looks like most any porter, though notably - like all of Stone's beers - crystal clear. It feels more watery than I'd like my Porter, however.

The smoked character is the standout of both the taste and aroma, but it has a ham-like quality that I try to avoid in smoked beers. I would have used a similar amount of a more well-rounded smoked malt. More smoke, less meat.

MatthewPatthew, Dec 28, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: A very dark Porter. Nice color interpretation of this mild style
Smell: A different approach. Smokey malts give this a burnt smell, not at all unpleasant.
Taste: I have given this a few tastes now, this being my third bottle. I always approach it with an open mind hoping for something different, but alas, I am again slightly dissapointed.
Mouthfeel: Watery, bland, dissapointing
Drinkability: I know a lot of people love this beer, and porter is a classic style that I usually enjoy, but this beer just doesn't do it for me. I respect Stone a lot, they are one of my all time favorite breweries, I guess I am just not a fan of this beer. Not a bad choice by any means, I just prefer Stone's other, hoppier offerings.

bradford, Apr 23, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Stone's contribution to the world of extreme, or rather, offbeat porters is near-black in color with a creamy, off-white head. There are muted aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper. This is an extremely dry and bitter porter, with little malt sweetness to match the hop presence and dry, smokiness. The smoke flavors, though advertised as central, are really only second thoughts--complements to an otherwise typical robust porter. I could have handled more smoke, more sweetness, and more pronounced aromas all around.

I love the mouthfeel of this brew: it is dry, powerful, and heavy--something that really lives up to the 'robust' moniker. Unfortunately, the sacrifice for such a palate-challenging brew comes in drinkability. It's for sipping, remote from the industrial, quaffable origins of this style.

Overall, this is a tasty, spicy porter that is most notable for its rough-textured mouthfeel and lack of drinkability. If you want a really "smoky" porter, stick with something else (Left Hand's Smokejumper comes to mind).

benito, Sep 24, 2007

JohnyFriday, Mar 31, 2014

grniz3, Oct 07, 2012

BrewtalHonesty, Oct 06, 2013

smartassboiler, Aug 23, 2013
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.