1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

The beer pours a coffee black with a strong head that dissipates quickly with no lacing. I can definitely smell the "Smoked" part of the aroma but not much complexity besides that.

I like the taste but could do with a bit more of it. It tends to fade pretty quickly into the background. There is very little bitterness which fits the overall character of the beer. It goes down very easily. I feel like mixed nuts would go very well with this beer but have none on hand. Bandon cheddar will have to do.

Overall this is a very easy, tasty, uncomplicated beer to drink. Complexity would probably take away from it. Well done.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

A truly excellent porter, one that will at least cause me to pause before automatically reaching for Anchor's. The aroma immediately said "Stone", with a sweet spicy (mango chutney?) melody harmoniously laid on top of a classic roasted-coffee porter background, and a strong hint of smoke. It pours beautifully dark and clear, with a nice creamy head which subsides quickly into a drinkable thin film. Even though served quite warm, the flavor and mouthfeel didn't quite live up to what my eyes and nose had promised--I prefer porters that pack just a little bit more sweet, roasted maltiness--but it was still quite good, with the smoke flavor again perfectly balanced. And it all finished very clean, making this one very drinkable porter.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Poured black in the center with ruby highlights around the edges. There was a fairly thin, but well-retained foamy white head.
The smell was of smoky roasted coffee with a burnt charcoal aroma.
The taste was of charcoal, roasted black coffee and a touch of chocolate. It was medium to full-flavored (almost rich - not quite there.)
The aftertaste was smoky and burnt - almost gritty, while still being smooth.
It does hit its goal of being a porter that is good for a barbecue or as a dessert. And, of course, the bottle is cool!
This is a very good beer! IMO, it's not the best offering from Stone, but certainly a good, slightly different (but in a good way) porter, and worth the price!

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Finally tried this beast for graduation. Poured into a glass forming a thick, 1 1/2-2 inch head. Appearance was black, red around the sides. Head dissipates within a minute or two, leaving very little lacing. Smells of smoke, raisin, coffee and hops. Tastes very "hoppy", but nice. Goes down smoothly, though it is a very "thin" beer as far as dark beers go. The light feel allows it to go down smooth, and it is very satisfying. One of the better porters I have had, but I still think that if you like a full flavored dark beer, a stout is the way to go.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Stone Smoked Porter served up into a standard pint glass from a 22 oz. brown bomber bottle. I'll admit, I'm a little tired this evening, but American Porters are one of my favorite styles - Edmund Fitzgerald being the namesake that influenced my BA tag - so this should hopefully be a treat prior to lying down and returning to work in lesson than twelve hours from now.

The beer poured a seemingly pitch black, but proved to have a purplish red tinge when held up in the direction of the lamp across the room. The beer started with a wonderful finger and half of head that reduced to a quarter inch of tan head that retained throughout the drinking of the beer.
This bad boy proved to be a mouthfull of porter goodness: a viscous, thick mouthfeel lacking much of a smoked flavor but included the complex maltiness I look for coming from this style: dark chocolate hints along with burnt malts and a nice dry hopped finish - expected from a Stone product. The texture is decadent creaminess without being overly so.

Give me a few more of these, and I would love to see it on tap sometime. Stone's Smoked Porter is an excellent beer to enjoy as it warms, and even though the weather today proved to be hotter than I would have chosen, this beer still proves to be refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Pour is big and black with an inch thick tan head. Very easy on the eys. What I can smell of the nose is good, but too faint. I get smoke and raisins. Taste is espresso-like with a glimpse of sweetness that makes me think of raisins. It doesn't feel all that defined. The smoke is inconsistent. One minute you taste it, the next sip, you don't. Mouth is wonderful, as creamy as you could hope. Carbonation is light and dances over the tongue.
Not nearnly as good as Alaskan Smoked Porter, but still, I could certainly have a couple glasses.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Absolutely amazing!!! This is everything I was hoping it would be and more!!. Black liquid with a khaki coloured, creamy head. Tiny carbonation bubbles cling to the side of my glass. Looked magnificent. The smell was incredible!! I have had a handful of things before with smoke in the title, only to be terribly disappointed to discover no smoke in either the smell or the taste. This had plenty of smoke, however, but just enough. I also got a little bit of a bready smell and some chocolate hiding in the back. Positively one of the best smelling beers I have had in a long time. The taste matched the smell with a nice "meaty" malt right up front and plenty of smoke. A small amount of caramel and burnt coffee make appearances toward the finish. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a fantastic level of carbonation. This beer is just amazing. I am thoroughly impressed, and sadened that this is not available in Ga.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Nice and dark. Not quite stout dark, but close. Thick, fizzy, carbonated head. Roasty, smokey smell that tastes the same. Very rich malty flavor. This is almost more like a stout than a porter. Pretty drinkable. Maybe not in my favorite of all time list, but one of the good ones.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark and porter appearance, with dark ruby reflexes. A lot of light brown foam.
Very good smell, cocoa, coffee (less) and obviously smoked. Very pleasant.
The taste is very good too, with roasted notes, cooa, and a good smokiness that rises up behind. Resolute. Some sweetness (just a hint), quickly covered by the rest. Interesting.
Behind, some bitterness, not hop-like, more from burned and roasted. And again cocoa.
Same in the aftertaste (cocoa, smoked), and a noticeable bitterness, quite long, with rhubarb hints.

Out of the 22oz.brown bomber pours a blackish-brown heft of a porter. Light brown bubbling, foamy head rises up, then eventually subsides to some nice, sticky lacing.

Smokey oak malt up front with chocolate and coffee coming through and blending in a mildly sweet manner...ahh. After it warms a bit, faint aroma of the hops sneek through, as well as some alcohol.

Initially dark malt, which is smoky and faintly sweet, fill the mouth. It becomes coffee and chocolaty rich in flavor till the smokyness comes back in, with a nice bitter hop, to finish it off. A sturdy, well balanced porter with a complexity all it's own, smoky to boot.

Full bodied with a smooth, lofty mouthfeel and a pleasant ABV make this a Porter lover's "must try". It's unique and goes down smoothly...cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Paid $3.99 for a 22oz. bomber...

The beer pours almost black with a medium sized white-ish tan head, excellent retention and a lines of lace onthe glass. The smell is bold, roasty, smokey and malty.

The taste is just a blast of flavor to the taste buds with all the flavors the smell gave away. Supurb mouthfeel due to the creamy head retention, one-of-a-kind. This is maybe the most drinkable porter out there with Bell's.

Final Thought: This is a creative brew by one of the world's best, this one is on the annual rotation, thank you Stone.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

There was no light getting through this beer, very dark black with a small tan head. The smell has dark chocolate and a very smoky hickory wood aroma with a hint of alcohol getting through. I really enjoy the taste. The smokiness reminds me of Laphroig scotch, like you are drinking smoked peat moss but this is dipped in dark chocolate. The mouth feel is velvety smooth with low carbonation and the flavors get more intense as it warms up. This is an over the top porter.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a 22oz. mug, a dark brown opaque color with hints of red. A light brown head forms, that laces slowly down the mug. Smoky, chocolate, and coffee aromas come through witha touch of spicy hoppiness at teh end of each scent. The taste is very, very, very good. The sweet taste of chocolate, with hints of coffee, then followed by the smoky flavor that finishes each taste. In the mouth it starts medium bodied, but it becomes fuller towards the back of the palate. This an excellent beer, a nice beer to just sit down and relax with and just sip.

A- Poured black with a dark ruby tint, had a nice 1 finger cream colored head that quickly resided to a small layer that lasted the duration of the tasting

S- Chocolate, caramel, and a subtle smoke aroma, mixed with a lite lint of hops.

T- Nice balance of malt smoke and hops make this a good tasting porter, but I would like to have more smoke taste noticable.

M- Very smooth and creamy feeling, like eating a bar of dark chocolate.

D- If I could get this beer on a regular basis I could drink it almost every day. So overall I would say a very good session beer.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a very dark brown with a nice cocoa-like head. A sweet smelling beer that tends to be too sweet, and a bit of roastiness that is expected in this type of beer. I didn't detect much smokiness, which I was looking forward to. There was also a lack of smoke in the flavor as well. Some light bitterness and roasted malt was present. Mouthfeel was medium, but not much. I could maybe settle for 12 ounces instead of 22. The bomber was a bit much. I was disappointed by the lack of smoke flavor and the sweetness. But all in all, it is still a good beer in smaller doses. Probably my least favorite from Stone.

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

I always feel like Flavor Flav whenever I review a beer from Stone, as I continually want to shout, "Don't believe the hype!" Now, mind you, I'm not opposed to Stone and the things they brew, I'm just not a card-carrying member of the "Stone = Great Beer" club. I'm a Doubting Knuckles, or some damn thing. What I continually find is that they brew some very decent beers, but try as I might, I just don't love them (although I will admit to liking the RIS, and want to cellar a bottle at some point). The Smoked Porter is yet another one of those beers that I wanted to like, but ultimately found lacking.

It suffers greatly, in my opinion, from the fact that most beer drinkers are going to compare it to the Alaskan Smoked Porter. And if they do, they will be sorely disappointed. This beer is a much more traditional porter in terms of color, ABV, and flavor profile than the AK.

Appearance: Held up to the light, this beer is a gorgeous, deep ruby (note to self: come up with a different color than 'ruby'. You use it to goddam much.), and pours with the always popular espresso creme head. I get about three fingers of foam, that linger for about ten minutes or so, and then slowly fade away. My only real complaint with the beer is that it is filtered. Don't axe me why, but I do love the look of an unfiltered porter. It makes me feel so Victorian.

Smell: The nose is actually the only place I get any hint of smoke, and it is very, very pleasant. Starts off with a deep, malty nose, and then finishes up smoky. Very nice.

Taste: As a smoked porter (and actually, as a porter), this one really drops the ball in my opinion. I was actually a little surprised by it, as it was a fairly one-note beer. The peat smoke that is supposed to be prominent was almost non-existent in this bottle, and contrary to it's 5.9% ABV, it had an incredibly malty palate. Once it warmed up it got a little smokier, but not nearly enough for me.

Mouthfeel: Again, somewhat in contrast to the maltiness of the beer itself, it was rather thin in mouthfeel. I wanted it to be a little richer in texture to balance out the flavors, and it just wasn't.

Drinkability: Honest, I really want to find a Stone beer that I like so I can write really nice things about it, if only to give the impression that I'm not a blanket Stone hata. But the sad truth is (so far, anyway), that for my palate, their beers lack balance. That lack of balance seriously affects the drinkability in my opinion, and this beer is no exception to that rule. It is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but not one that I will probably seek out again.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

On-Tap at dba New York City.
The best smoked beer I have ever had the opportunity of trying. Very dark brown body, medium tan head. Smell is lightly smokey, but only lightly, with cocoa and coffee. The smoke is also done correctly in the flavor, not overpowering, but evident, maybe the first smoked beer I have ever enjoyed. Well balanced, good one Stone.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

music: King's X - Ear Candy

bomber for $3.99, now available in nj (and there was much rejoicing...)

served at perfect cellar temp (the one thing good about having a complete basement in states like NJ I tell ya..)

eyes...
nearly opaque which is frankly surprising considering it didn't pour as dark as it now resides in the glass, one finger of darkish tan head quickly recedes to the rim of the chalice. good lacing with a thin film sticking to the glass like popsicle sticks to elmers glue... solid looking overall.

nose...
a nice mellow smokiness, more like smokey coffee than smoked meat, chocolate covered caramel. it certainly smells better than a baboon's ass, or a three assed monkey's asses, that's for sure... almost smells like a cold cup of good coffee you left out the night before. Nothing overpowering just a lovely blend of aroma typical of the style. Not too sweet in the least and not too roasty either.

taste etc...
like a lot of american porters this one tends to be a bit too thin for me personally to warrant a super high mouthfeel score (taste is a completely different issue). The carbonation is very good, bordering on too much but it doesn't bother these lips. On tap this is much more velvety... which of course would make this a world killer if every bottle tasted like that...

There is a more dominant hops prescence (not in a STONE beer? no... ?... kidding, obviously) in the flavor with the smoke only at the very backend after the bitters clear the dishes. The hop profile is almost the same as their other offerings, it tempts you to think "too much hops for the style" and then you settle into it just fine (well, if you like da hops).

verdict?
very tasty, and the price is right. For a porter though I might go somewhere else... and also if I really want more smoke flavor I would definitely go somewhere else. But like most stone products this is plain solidly made in all the categories that count... personally it doesn't "wow" me however, although I enjoy it quite alot.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter glass.
No freshness or batch date.

Opaque black color, no light can pass. A nice one finger thick, creamy tan head, that fades leaving a thin white line around the glass. Some clingy lacing remains. Lots of milky, mocha smells, with a just a hint of smokiness. Some roasted malt comes through in the background. Well balanced taste, semi sweet, ending with some smoky bitterness. More smoky characteristics come through as the beer warms. Decent carbonation, with a medium body feel. A very enjoyable porter, and another great offering from Stone.

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

22 ounce browm bomber bottle poured into a 20 ounce nonic pint glass.

A - An opaque black in the glasss that shines a little bit of brown when held right in front of a lamp. A very big, very thick off white head formed by a hard pour sits on top. Head clings to the glass and leaves nice lacing.

S - Smoky ont he nose at first with some chocolate underneath the roasty smells.

T - Very smoky on the first sip. In fact a HUGE smokiness, reminds me of the smell of a charcoal grill, or even a plank heated on the grill for barbecueing. Some malty flavors, like a chocolatey caramel kick but all have a great smoked taste to them. Even has just the right touch of piney hop bitterness. Lots of complexity here and done just right.

M - A nice feel in the mouth though a tiny bit light for this much flavor. Still pretty nice overall.

D - The smokiness and sheer complexity of all the flavors melding in this one makes you want more. Would also pair with many types of food, be it smoky grilled meats all the way to sweet deserts. Also great to sit and drink by itself after a long day.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from a pint bottle - Appearance is a beautiful black with a head that disipates quickly but lacing lasts throughout.
Smell is exceptional - best I've whiffed for a porter - strong piercing caramel and coffee aroma
Taste is superior - Smoked oak flavor mixed with malt, caramel and dark chocolate.
Mouthfeel is as smooth as black silk
Excellent, highly recommended - My new favorite porter. Stone delicious.
How the hell could anyone give this less than a 4.0 is beyond me....

22oz bomber poured cold into pint glass
Decent 1 finger head that lasts. Light barely penetrates.

Just a slight smell of smokiness , no hops or malt. Could be my imagination as my smeller isn't working to good.

Taste comes across with malty sweetness/ dark chocaolate coffee , mild hop finish. I think the smoke comes across very subltle; more evident as the beer warms.

Moutfeel is not thick or thin , I'll call it medium. Average carbonation.

Drinkabitly is very good , I imagine this pairs with alot of food. <uhmmm smoked samon>

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: This beer pours a black onyx with a very vague hint of ruby edges. A very nice pillowy tan head that holds up for a few minutes then leaves an intrigueing trail of laceing.

Smell: The aromas are smoked,roasted, sweet malts,chocolates,some woody accents, a good hop character and a subtle alcohol.

Taste: The flavors are very simular to the nose. Dark chocolates,a nice hop bitterness,and a great tasteing smokey malt in the finish. As this beer warms the smoke is more evident. Delicious!!!

Mouthfeel: A medium body that is accentuated by a slick smokey film in the finish. About medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is made for savoring with its absolutley delicious and satisfying smokey flavors. Definitley an easy quaff and my first smoked beer to boot. I would drink this anytime and cannot wait to pair it with food. Stone continues to impress me!

-Cheers2Beers-

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Deep Brown. Deep, malt driven aroma with a touch of smoked malts and a hint of chocolate, coffee, tar and dark fruits. Silky, sticky, coating and heavy body and feel on palate. An instant 5 on the palate. Big for its size. Notes of chocolate, coffee and wet pavement along with a very small amount of smoke. Tasty.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

The good news is that finally Stone is available in New Jersey,so I was eager to try this beer.The beer itself (22oz bottle) was a dark brown to black color,almost cola looking,with a small tan head that quickly dissappeared.The aromas were slight hints of chocolate and coffee.Those aromas were also in the taste as well as black licorice and you could definetly get the taste of smoke,especially in the nice finish.This is a very unique offering from Stone,but something you should surely check out.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.