Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

bcostner1, Apr 30, 2012

dseiters, Apr 30, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a very dark burgundy color with good clarity in spite of its darker tint. Particularly, I like that it's not as pitch black as some of the other porters I've had (especially the ones that try to think they're stouts). The head is a three finger offwhite color with decent retention/lacing.

S: Judging from the smell, this isn't as robust as what I'm used to from a porter. Nonetheless, there is plenty of rich dark fruit, chocolate, caramel, molasses, and only a faint touch of smoke.

T: I could kvetch about the smoky flavor not being as expressive as it could be, but as a man who isn't fan of bacon or smoked meats (though I do like my BBQ every once in a while), I like that it's only a subtle hint that lingers throughout the drinking experience while never overpowering the porter base. Aside from the smoke, there are subtle hints of chocolate, molasses, dark fruit, and hints of coffee with a faint strike of hops on the finish. While I enjoy this quite a bit, there are some small niggles all around that keep it from being great, chief among which is the lack of robustness I like in a porter. Then again, maybe I'm spoiled by Fuller's London Porter, but I still think this could use a stronger roast character overall.

M: This has a lighter body at first, but it thickens up near the finish, leaving the tongue rather chalky feeling. The chalky texture detracts from the character slightly. The dryness on the finish builds gradually. Good carbonation.

O: I'm not going to whine about this not being robust enough, I'm just going to say it's a solid porter throughout that never overpowers the tongue with smoke notes. Definitely worth a try. I'd get it again - if only because I think it's a fantastic pairing with BBQ chicken.

ThisWangsChung, Apr 30, 2012

NOLANDMAN, Apr 24, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Rathakem, Apr 23, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

A: Dark brownish black, fluffy tan head with very long retention but little lacing.

S: Very strong smokey smell, fairly sweet, like vanilla or caramel. Also surprisingly boozy considering the low ABV, which gives it a bit of a medicinal edge.

T/M: Lots of sweet malts up front: caramel, vanilla, roasted flavors. The sweetness eventually subsides a little to make way for some smokey, burnt flavors and bitter hops. The mouthfeel is really smooth and creamy, probably the best aspect of this beer.

O: The first Stone beer I'm not really crazy about. Too sweet, and the malty, smokey sweetness hangs over everything. Underneath there seems to be a nice beer hiding out but any additional flavors are mostly just overpowered.

sevenarts, Apr 22, 2012

DrFunkenstein, Apr 22, 2012

njport, Apr 19, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

craig220, Apr 19, 2012

stevec32, Apr 19, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Virtually black. Pours a thick three finger head with some hints of chocolate.

Aroma: Roasted malt, toasty. Deep and satisfying, but not smoke as far as I can tell.

Taste: Lovely malt attack! Rich chocolate, espresso, and roasted coffee & malts. Some toasty characteristics from the smoking, but it's not "smoky" as such. Very tasty though.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, medium bodied.

Overall: This is an excellent, robust porter, although I'm surprised about the relative lack of smoke. For the style, the points come down a little bit because of the lack of smoke, but as a porter this is very good indeed.

Arborescence, Apr 18, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Sometimes its worth revisiting a classic. I haven’t had Stone’s Smoked Porter in ages. The first time I tried it I remember thinking it was too smoky for my tastes. Then I started to enjoy roast and appreciate porters, so it grew on me. Lately, however, I’ve had several brews made with smoked malt—including San Antonio’s own Mesquite Smoked Porter from Ranger Creek. Would I still enjoy Stone’s take on a smoked porter after having expanded my palate and appreciation?

In short, yes.

I poured this from a bottle purchased in January 2012. It stayed hidden in my fridge until mid-April of the same year. While I didn’t expect to encounter much, if any, of a time-sensitive hop profile I state this because I wonder if the smoked malt mellows out over time.

At 5.9% ABV this is one of Stone’s “lightest” offerings. Parenthesis, only because it pours a dark coffee black with a billowy topping of crème colored foam. It has a light roast aroma, with just a touch of smoke. It’s subtle, nuanced and delicate to the point where it would be easily overlooked had it gone a shade lighter. Flavorwise the smoked malt makes its presence known without being bombastic or assertive. It complements the roast characteristics in a way that makes it a team player, an integral component of this beer’s flavor profile. There’s cacao nibs and a light hop bittering to round out the team, with a little sweetness on the body. It’s delicious and deliciously drinkable and I enjoyed it tremendously.

elNopalero, Apr 16, 2012

ChumleyX, Apr 16, 2012

axres, Apr 16, 2012
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.