Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros

22 oz bottle

Pours a dark black color with a slight reddish tint and a tan head, approximately 1/2", a good looking beer

AAroma - chocolatey, rosaty but I do not pick up any smoke

Taste delicious, a little roasty, a little chocolatey, a hint of coffee that finishes crisp and somewhat dry but once again I daon't get any smoke

Mouthfeel - smooth and very drinkable. Another fine product from Stone Brewing

3.93/5  rDev -2%

22oz. bomber into an imperial pint.

Really dark black. I had to hold this one up to a 100w bulb just to see any kind of ruby transluscence. Nice mocha head that just leaves islands in the brew, but great lacing.

Smell is dark chocolate and French roast coffee with a shot of espresso. Hops are somewhere in the very back of the smell, and it's kind of all filtered through some roasty smokiness.

Well hopped for a porter, which I like, but I think it's kind of under-smoked, if anything. In a blind taste test if I had to choose, I wouldn't say this was a smoked porter. The smoke just kind of lingers in the back of everything, and it's nice, but still, not really a presence.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but still pretty good. Good carbonation.

After a pint of this at a pub, I probably wouldn't order another. It's good, but I'd want to try something new.

If I'm in a smoked porter mood, for awhile I'll stick to Brooklyn's.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Pours dark mahogany with an initial mocha colored head, settling to a slick. Nose is not particularly smoky... more of a roasted element to it. Taste is very malty, well-roasted chicory flavors, chocolate and hops pushing their way throughout the mix. Actually this brew is quite bitter courtesy of mass-hopping. Medium in body, this brew has good weight to it and a persistent flavor profile. For a porter it is very concentrated and robust... chock-full of all things good and necessary in a brew of this style. The mouthfeel is lightly syrupy and slightly tannic, no doubt from the generous hopping of the brew. A very good though not monumental porter that the masses are sure to enjoy. (Are you sure it's only 5.9%.. ;-)

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Ruby-black, plenty of tan head, only a little retention, but some nice lacing.

S: Dark chocolate malt, slightly fruity (like British yeast).

T: Predominantly dark chocolate. Slightly bready, some raisin, dark caramel sweetness beats the roasty bitterness into submission. Very well balanced (bittersweet). Only a hint of smoke in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate to full body, moderate carbonation.

D: As it warms, the boldness steps forward. It's a big brew with plenty of flavour. The 650 mL bomber is plenty.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured as a 22oz bomber. A beautiful, deep rudy ruby umber, rich color, with a splotched, firm 1/4" head of mocha hued foam that disappated quickly, but not immediatelty, a ghost slick of foam remaining on the surface & laced stubbornly on the glass edge. Nose is odd - sharp, burnt sugar bittersweet, a little edgy, maybe a wisp of smoke, not what I was expecting.

Its smoky nature is noticable on the tongue, especially the more it warms. A little peaty, hints of baking chocolate, bitter & crisp, yet somewhat level & flat. The bitterness (again, more like baking chocolate than hops) is on the pallete & throat as you swallow. Surprisingly, there is a very crisp, clean, dare I say a whisper of mint as an echo of an aftertaste.

This is an odd call. I love porters, but this one has me a bit confused, I would certainly drink it again, but would probably be more likely to take a chance on another porter. After you've had an Edmund Fitz, it seems like its all downhill...

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz brown bomber with Stone silk screen label.

This is a very attractive brew. Very dark, almost onyx black, but some hits of red with shown to light. ¾ inch head that looks like the coffee froth atop a well made espresso. The head settles as it should, particularly in the middle but leaves delicate lacing. Bidder sweet aroma with some charcoal notes. Starts with a sweet malt flavor, transitions into burnt brown sugar caramel flavor, and finishes smoky and dry. Slightly alcoholic. Soft yet big and a little bit chewy, a little bit sticky. Nice biter aftertaste and dry palate, alcoholic notes in the flavor do not compromise the drinkability.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz bottle recived as part of BIF 24 from beerhandy. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1" brown head above the clear, dark brown brew, with reddish highlights. Head lasts nicely, with delicate sticky lacing. Aroma is sweet, a bit boozy, with wisps of smoke here and again. Taste is vinous and sweet as well, with the smoke there, but shouted down by the syrupiness and alcohol notes. However, looking past the fact that I'd want more smoke, this was still a beer with a smooth mouthfeel, and good drinkability.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Brought this bottle back with me from San Diego. Mmmmm fresh Stone beer.

Dark brown pour with a small tan head. The head disappates rather fast, no lacing either. Surprisingly mild aroma. There's some roasted malts there, I just need to stick my nose into the mug to find them. Good taste, the malts taste more burnt than anything here. Some smokiness is noticable but it doesn't really strike me as a "smoked" beer. Mouthfeel is dry and doesn't amaze me.

Overall, I wasn't amazed with this beer. It's decent, but there's better available from Stone. I kind of wish I drank half of this and used the other half in a pot of chili. Mmmmm now THAT would have been delicious.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Opaque black with a thick, foamy head that stays for quite a while. Aromas of roasted malts, raisins, and dry roasted coffee seem to arise. The taste is great with a robust character that ends with a crisp, dry aftertaste flavored by fruits. The roasted taste is subtle and not overpowering in the least, as I expected since Stone is known for going over the top. More flavors and aromas become apparent as the beer warms adding new dimensions to the beer.

First smoked porter and since it's from Stone I should be pleased. Poured thick, dark brown with a small beige head that dissipated quickly.
Smelled the smoke, some hops, and baking chocolate.
Coffee, heavy malt and a slight sensation of smoke followed by a decent hop bite.
Mouthfeel was slightly thin, but not disappointing. I would love to have this again sometime.

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

Where's the smoke. Warning this is not a smoked porter, more like a sweet malty oak porter. I has a great thin black body with a good off-white head. But the smell is of a sweet porter or stout, no smoke. Mostly just a good porter but mostly just blah for a smoked porter. Smoke, I think not hence the taste suffers, just call it a porter and let it ride.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

This is only the second offering I have ever had from Stone brewing, the first being the Vertical '05.

I suppose trying the Vertical first off the bat set the bar pretty high, as I had high hopes for the smoked porter. I enjoyed the porter - it just didnt quite live up to expectations.

There was really more of an oak taste than a smoked taste to this beer. But I'm fine with that. Very smooth and not all that heavy in the mouthfeel. Not overpoweringly rich, which is also a good thing.

I dunno... I just hoped for something a little more complex or "deeper" overall. This was still a great porter, but only slightly above the other better smoked porters I've had. It didn't blow away the competition like I thought it would.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Smoked beers are not everyone's cup of tea. I quite enjoy a good smoked porter or smoked lager, but drinking an Aecht Sclenkerla Marzen was probably my worst craft beer experience. This Stone Smoked Porter is of the less overt family of rauchbiers.

The pour is ultra-dark mahogany. The head is tan and sticks around until the end. Roasted malts and enough, but not too much, smoke make up the welcoming nose. The taste isn't too far off. Malts- roasty with mild coffee and chocolate flavors dominate up front leaving the smokiness for the finish.

This stuff is remarkably smooth. The smoked flavor keeps it interesting, but it lowers drinkability ever so slightly. I don't think I could drink more than a bomber in a night and it's not something I'm going to crave all the time, but it sure can hit the spot

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

A difficult beer for me to rate. If I were to rate it just by its porter characteristics (creamy body, subtle roastiness, beautiful coffee, chocolate, hops interplay) it would be over a 4 overall. However, the smoke quality, as subtle as it is, really spoiled it for me. I like smoked beers, and can appreciate using it as an "element" rather than the dominating factor, but the smoke in this beer tasted more like ash. This is still a GOOD beer and it’s very close to GREAT, but that final failing it very frustrating indeed!

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours dark black with red highlights, with and off-white head. Almost no head, even from a sloppy pour.

Smell has hints of dark roasted coffee, milk chocolate, and teriyaki....

The taste is as good or better than any porter I've had. This is a big, complex beer. Honestly there's so much going on with the flavor that I really don't know where to start, however, if you like porters...you'll love this.

The mouthfeel is actually pretty light, with a moderate ammount of noticable carbonation. The aftertaste is the only place i really get any "smoke" from this brew and it manifests itself in the strange cola/charcoal aftertaste.

For a dark beer this is very drinkable, would go great with food prepared on the grill.

Hopefully Stone will either step up the distro, or another friend will make a trip to Cali. If this was available in GA I'd def drink it regularly. Still got the arrogant on in the fridge, hopefully it won't dissapoint.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a dark almost black color with a nice tan head that has good retention and leaves wonderful lacing. Chocolate and burnt malt aroma with a hint of roastyness and bitter coffee. Same flavors intermingle with a smokey flavor. Quite velvety smooth on the palate and very drinkable. Love this beer in the winter sitting near a fire.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

This is my first porter AND my first Stone...purchased at a Beverages N More. Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass..

Appearance: Incredibly dark brown. You could call it black if you weren't looking hard enough. 2 finger head..tan and really fluffy, dies slowly.

Smell: Smells thick and toasty...oak, roasted malts, chocolate.

Taste: Tastes like creamy chocolate up front, some tasty, delicate hops fade in and out as you savor your sip. Dark chocolate aftertaste. Frickin delicious. Really sweet towards the bottom of the glass.

Mouthfeel: Gentle..slight carbonation - a small bite before the swallow. And a lingering, enjoyable aftertaste.

Drinkability: A very friendly beer...tastes excellent glass after glass.

I am fully impressed, this is probably one of my favorites thus far. If these were cheaper or available in a 6 pack, I would drink them religiously.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Stone Smoked Porter looks good, but not great. Its head is a little lacking and it's not quite black. Still, it looks like a formidable brew. Big nose of sweet caramel malt, with a bit of wet dog/vegetables. Really doesn't smell like a porter much at all. The flavor, fortunately, is much improved over the smell, with a big smoked flavor, as promised by the title. Still, there's not as much chocolate flavor as I'd like; the main malt character is the almost rotten-sweet caramel, along with licorice as it warms. Good medium mouthfeel. Good beer, but more Smoked than Porter.

Thanks to Px2GrafX for the bottle.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Smoked beer is a something that took some getting accostomed to, but I've enjoyed the past few I've tried. I don't think I liked this quite as much as O'Fallons Smoked Porter, but definitely one of the better smoked porters I've tried.

The beer pours to a nearly opaque black color with a thin off-white head. Leaves a decent lacing. Looks good.

Smells even better. For some reason that smokiness is hitting the spot. If only it weren't 1:30 AM and I hadn't just gotten off of work recently, I'd be eating some hand-smoked meat alongside this brew. Very robust. Nothing but malt and smoke in the nose... no hops, that is.

The taste only has a light bit of smoke, and the finish leaves a bit of an aftertaste like a campfire smells. I would think that sounds disgusting, however, I've grown very remniscient of that smell... oh, the wondrous parties I have thrown 'round the campfire down where the prairie meets the lake at my parents' acreage in the middle-of-nowhere Iowa when I was still in highschool and too young to drink, much less drink good beer (when I wasn't raiding my parents' beer stash, that is). This beer has a very mild campfire taste compared to other smoked porters I've had, however. There is still some chocolatey sweetness shining through, along with that musty-yet-delicious porter taste.

The mouthfeel is thin and smooth. The finish is quite wet and leaves some nice residual sugars which meld well with the smokiness. This is a good drinkable porter, but I think a single bomber is all I could ask for. Thanks for the memories, Stone.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

22oz bomber.
Pours a deep dark brown, looks almost black. The head is a nice size tan which will diminishes but covers the top of the brew and completely laces the glass with sticky foam.
The smell isl malty and of coffee or chocolate. I was trying to avoid the word smokey but I'll throw it in there anyway.
Taste is also rich malty with hints of coffee. Yet not all that bitter.
Mouthfeel is rich and smooth, thicker with a nice light carbonated feel.
Drinkability is high this is so smooth I could defiantly have another.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

With the upcoming change in the weather I've found myself revisiting some brews I haven't had in a long time. Definately wasn't in the mood for a porter all summer that I can remember, and I don't think I've had the Stone since my first days of beeradvocacy. Definately a great beer. Dark brown, but not opaque, with a hefty brown head on there. Nice and bubbly. Smell and taste are loaded with complex chocolaty coffee notes and a nice smoke character that really separates this beer from others in the style. Really nice. Definately much hoppier than I expected as well, with a really killer bitterness not usually found in porters. I really liked that part of the beer, and it gave it a nice dry mouthfeel, which is also strange for a porter. Definately something I'll be keeping warm with this fall and winter.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Pours deep brown with ruby highlights. Dark, but fairly clear. A tan, three finger head remains thick and creamy for a long time with plenty of sticky lacing. Burnt malt and coffee aromas, and background molasses. The coffee and burnt flavors have a strong presence in the taste, with very light hops hiding somewhere within. Aftertaste is slightly dry, with a touch of residual sweetness hanging on. Minimally carbonated with a full body producing exceptional smoothness. Rich and drinkable with a clean finish.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Black, with traces of mahogany around the edges and bottom of the glass; a chocolate milk like head, with a decent and invigorating nose of roasted malts, chocolate and dark roast coffee beans. Creamy, tenderly slick; coffee roast flavors are couples with some charcoal and burnt toast. The palate is rich and clean, with dark chocolate and just a touch of bitterness. A long, lingering and nice smoky feeling going on here. Very nice; an absolute stellar porter, to be expected from Stone.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Probably my least favorite offering by this great brewery. the appearance in my tumbler is impressive, but that's about where it stops. Not a bad brew by any stretch; just not a favor to my liking. The body seems too thin. The aroma is a pleasant burnt, cloyiness that is not very pungent. This is the second time I have had this and the taste didn't differ.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Very dark root beer color with an amber hue, minimal beige head that is slightly fizzy and no lacing, and difficult to see the carb action.

Moderate toasted caramel smell with molasses malt in the background and some coffee and chocolate notes. Some resin and citrus, definitely grapefruit, hops aroma.

Definitely a lightly sweet and moderately bitter roasted to burnt molasses malt with coffee and dark chocolate flavor. Has an almost grassy orange hops taste with some grapefruit.

Medium to full bodied body, dry and slightly syrupy texture, soft almost flat carbonation, and a smooth slightly metallic and lightly astringent finish.

One of the better Porters I've had in a bottle and definitely meets the title if one fancies this type.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.