Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,779 | Hads: 4,067
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

I am early in my journey of fine craft beers and this is my first Smoked Porter. The appearance is what I expected it to be, dark and rich. The smell was a bit of a surprise as it was a little more floral than I expected, which I liked. The taste was great with no bitter bite or tongue swabbing after taste. Overall, I think this is a very good beer that I would recommend to someone who is scared of trying a porter for the first time.

3.62/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sampling right now on 1/9/14. Comes in a single large 22 ounce bottle with a neat painted on label (not a decal). Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown/black in color with a 2-finger thick off white head, BUT doesn't last a long time and settles down to a hin foamy head. LOTS of lacing was seen with each sip that stayed in place. The aroma is complex with a lot going on here. There is coffee, smoke, chocolate and roasted malt. The smokey malt hits your tongue right up front as well as espresso with a hint of chocolate. A slight bitter aftertaste with each sip. ***The more I drink this one the less I like it BUT I will leave my review as it is***

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Dark, dark brown/black with a large 3 finger head. Interesting long lasting lacing left rings after each sip.

S - So much going on here: Smoke, chocolate, caramel, coffee and hints of malt. No one aroma was stronger than the others.

T - Smokey malt with chocolate and coffee at first, with just a touch of hop bitterness towards the finish. Again everything in balance.

M - Smooth and creamy with a medium body. Very full flavor but not heavy at all. Very refreshing aftertaste.

O - An outstanding smoked porter. Part of me wanted to try and identify everything going on here and another part of me just wanted to relax and savor every sip.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured a dark brown which was reddish with a black center when held to light. There was a half-finger tan head that receded to a tan ring leaving lacing down the glass. Quite nice, very on point for a porter. Scents of slight citrus peel, roasted malt, smoked malt, dark chocolate and black coffee. A very good porter aroma with a nice addition of smoke, very nice. Flavors of black coffee, roast malt, cocoa powder and slight smoked malt with slight caramel in the middle and finish. Bitter and roasted aftertaste. Very well done, true to style for a porter with just enough smoked character to add complexity. Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with low carbonation and a creamy feel. Very good, very much a porter. Overall this is a good porter with a nice layer of complexity added to the aroma and flavor with the addition of smoked malt. Very good, recommended.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance is a dark brown with a finger of tan head that dissipated quickly. The nose is nice and roasty and the roast profile is solid and tasty. The finish is plain old bitter roasted goodness.

My only complaint is that there really is no smoke in this porter. I really enjoy the blend of smokiness with the porter bite, but this offering only delivers on half of the promise.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%

A- Pours dark brown with a two finger head

S- Chocolate and smokey malt notes carry it

T- This was the first and last smoked porter I have tried. It reminded me of having a cigarette or snuff taste in my mouth. Definitely not one of my favorites from an awesome brewery.

M- Medium body with medium carbonation.

O- This is not my style of beer of at all. I love porters both american and imperial, but the smoked porters are not for me. I love smoked BBQ food. This beer reminded me more of a tobacco like flavor.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this smoked porter. Reminds me of sitting with friends around a bonfire. It's very simple, and definitely a go to beer. Not to complex but very friendly to the senses! Poured very smooth. Light hints of bitter chocolate and dark coffee.

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Darker, "soda brown" color. Quickly receding tan head that leaves spotted lacing.

S - Sweeter malts with an expected salty smoke.

T - Dark coffee mixed with bitter chocolate. There's a sweetness that I can't quite place (caramel?) A definite lingering smokey aftertaste that sticks.

M - A fair amount more carbonation than I expected, making it seem a tad on the lighter side.

O - Another solid beer from Stone. Overall I find the Smoked Porter refreshing. The smoke is present without being overbearing, and it seems light for a dark beer, if that makes sense.

4.57/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottle opened in Oct 2013

A - Cola brown body with ruby highlights. Creamy, light tan head with great lace and nice retention.

S - Soft mesquite wood and pork rib smoke, marshmallow, molasses.

T - Smooth and mellow with a soft complexity. Burnt toast, smoked bacon, caramel, molasses, vanilla, peanut butter.

M - Silky smooth, medium frame. Almost perfect for a porter. Incredible staying power.

O - An absolutely outstanding porter. The two years did the bottle well, but I'd have to say that it drinks almost as well fresh.

3.9/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Poured in to a glass, pours black with an amber tint with slightly brown head.

S- slight roasted malts more hints of chocolate.

T- Chocolate malts and coffee pretty good taste similar to the smell.

M- Pretty good carbonation for a heavier beer pretty good smooth as well.

O- overall I enjoyed this porter very much will definitely be having another one next chance I can.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: A cola black body holds up a cream colored head that recedes to a film. Light splotchy lacing.

Aroma: Earthy, smokey notes dominate. Faint roasted malts and bitter chocolate.

Taste: Like the aroma, only more defined. Really rich woody and earthy notes, covered by smoked meats and bitter chocolate bars.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: Really rich, and the smokiness isn't overwhelming. Very good for a $4 bomber.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pint bottle, poured into a traditional mug. Aroma of coffee and chocolate. Poured solid black. Nice light tan head, wavy lacing, and even thick geographic lacing that caked the inner walls of my mug, something I have never seen before. Noticed the smokyness at the nose, and strong flavors of dark chocolate, coffee just a twinge of a rasberry. Awesomely a nice blend of hop bitterness with malt sweetness, could not get over the smokyness. A medium or heavier mouth feel. Overall I was very impressed with this superbly executed porter.

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Has a three finger head with a tan color that lasts for awhile. The smell is faint with smoked coffee and dark chocolate. The first taste that hits my tongue is the taste of smoked oak and roasted bitter coffee. There is hints of dried fruit and little dark chocolate. Overall I'm disappointed with this porter. It's not by any means bad but there are a lot better porters out there.

3.42/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a 16oz Tulip.

A - Jet black..with a 3 finger beige head.

S - not getting too much off this...maybe a little coffee and chocolate...slight smoke.

T - much improvement since the nose. woody,bonfire,slight coffee and dark chocolate. mild bittering hops in the finish but diluted quick by rich malt and coffee like taste. bitterness slighhhtly sticks around but barely. maybe some dark fruit as well.

M - id give this a medium mouthfeel...lightly carbonated. ive had several ipas and dipas that are a lot creamier than this...you wouldnt guess this by the look of this beer.

Overall...this is a sipper and just try to enjoy it.... the smokyness is a really cool part of this beer and stone did it well...(yet again). get around a bonfire with a few friends and split a bomber. good and easy drinking.

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: When it poured I thought it would be transparent/translucent light brown, but ended up much darker, couldn't even tell if it was black or brown once it was in the glass. Two-inch tan foam head, had to wait a bit to top off my pint glass.

Smell: Didn't get much out of the smell, not the strong coffee notes you might get from a porter. Definitely picked up the smokiness, but aroma was not as strong as I expected.

Taste: While there was not much smell in my opinion, there is a lot of flavor. Hard to articulate the flavors because the smokiness is noticeable (in a good way), but pick up some of those coffee, chocolate and malt flavors you'd expect.

Mouthfeel: Pretty carbonated for such a heavy beer, but has a smoothness/creaminess to it. Good balance overall.

Overall: Good job bringing the smokiness in without completely dominating the beer. I've had smoked beers before that just tasted burnt and that wasn't the case here. I did not find this beer overly complex though. Good for the style and interesting but would have liked more noticeable hints of other flavors.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

poured from the bomber into a pint glass

A - Pours a used motor oil black that goes to dark ruby when held to the light. Not much in the way of carbonation rising to the rocky, tan, three finger head. Head stays intact as a creamy cap all the way down the glass. Leaves behind several large splotches of lacing.

S - Smoked chocolate malt upon opening the bottle. In the glass, earthy hops and slightly bitter coffee ground become present.

T - Smoked chocolate malt and coffee grounds upfront. The body is light and moderately sweet with chocolate milk, slight dark fruit and a hint of caramel. Hop bitterness and candied plum dominate as the beer passes over the back of the tongue before a bitter chocolate, plum and black licorice finish.

M - Medium bodied with just enough carbonation to the give beer a rich, creamy body that still seems somewhat light on the tongue - like chocolate mouse. This is one of the best mouth feels I've had in a porter.

Picked a beer out of my collection to pair with my steak and to later review for my 26th birthday - this was a fantastic choice. Stone Smoked Porter does everything very well and the flavor and mouthfeel are phenomenal. This beer isn't a heavy or super rich beer like an imperial stout, rather is the signature chocolate moose of beers with a delicious yet complex flavor profile and a light, creamy mouthfeel. I could drink this beer all night, and am quite disheartened that I've finished off the bomber. Probably one of my all-time favorites, I better get this again!

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours nearly opaque dark brown with a thin white head that settles to a thin film on top that leaves faint spotty lace.

Smell is of smokey burnt wood, coffee and faint chocolate.

Taste is roasted malt, molasses and a hint of black coffee.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent enough porter but, after being exposed to some of Stone's other offerings, my expectations may have been a little high.

3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: dark brown colour, huge cream coloured head

S: red forest fruits, malts, hint of wood and roasted almonds

T: chocolate, smokiness is subdued, hint of blackberry, loads of malts

M: creamy, not a lot of carbonation, smooth

O: this will never be my favourite style, but this isn't too bad, a little bit of smokiness but not too much

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a mason jar from a bomber, pours dark brown with almost half a glass of tan head. Bottle has an awesomely long explanation of the beer on the back which I am too lazy to read right now, but I appreciate the detail and will come back to it. Smells awesome, malty, nutty, wood smoke, musty tobacco - smells like your weird uncle's cabin in the woods. Flavor is so dark and smoky, adequately hopped, and lightly sweet. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and carbonation is light. I really like this beer, and I'm envisioning a number of future occasions where it would be appropriate, most involving outdoorsy activities and large fires. Maybe not for everyone, but I like this beer. Quite a bit.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark, mostly opaque brown with a tinge of amber somewhere in there. Thin head that shrinks into a thin layer but lingers.
S: Smoke, malt, slight chocolate and coffee notes.
T: A truly smokey porter. In an odd way, this reminds me of Bruichladdich's single malt "The Rocks," which is an unpeated Islay. I've had so many porters and expected rich chocolate and coffee that when I got this and tasted mostly smoke, it was like drinking an Islay without peat (which ironically would make it smokey). Chocolate and coffee are here, but definitely subdued. There's some mahogany lingering in there, too. The bottles recommends pairing it with BBQ'd meats. I concur, wholeheartedly.
M: Smooth, moderate carbonation, lingers on the tongue.
O: Pretty good. I've had a lot of the Stone beers in different setting that just aren't appropriate for reviewing. This is my first time really sitting down with the Smoked Porter and I'm pretty pleased with it. Not something I'll go for every time I'm at the bottle shop, but I can't think of many better beers for Fall grilling when there's a slight briskness in the air and a good football game on the tube.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Smoked Porter over a month ago for $5.09 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been wanting to try this beer, but I haven't seen it around in a long time so when i saw a couple bottles on the shelf I made sure to grab one to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, so it might be a little old. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty standard for Stone with their typical gargoyle on it, it's not that bad looking. It poured a very dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a little bit of a ruby hue around the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of light mocha colored head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color is on par for the style and the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts with some dark and roasted malts sticking out the most and there's some nice chocolate and coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of medium smokey aromas with some caramel and toffee like aromas that stick out much more than I would expect and there's a lighter hop aroma in the background. This beer has a decent aroma, but I wish the roasted malts and smokey aspects stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a roasted dark malts and chocolate like taste that quickly gives way to a lighter medium smokey flavor. Up next comes the caramel and toffee flavors that are lighter then they were in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that has a charred like flavor to it along with a lighter hop flavor with a slightly charred malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer but just like the aroma the roast and smoke didn't seem to stick out as much as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, thin, watery, fairly dry, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, it felt too thin and over carbonated for the style.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, there was nothing about the flavor or aroma that really kept me coming back for more, it wasn't as bold and as aggressive as I expect most beers from Stone to be, so to me it felt a little out of place. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling but the flavor didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think a glass would be enough for me, a whole bomber is a little too much for me and after one pour it started to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was very good and it's one of the best looking Porter that I've seen in a while. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was out of place for the style and it just didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy a fresh bottle just to see how different it is but as far as getting a beer just to enjoy and drink I don't think I would get this again, it just doesn't keep me coming back for more. I wouldn't really recommend this beer, it's not really smokey or porter like enough to recommend. All in all I thought this beer was a disappointment, I had high hopes for this one since stone rarely disappoints, but this one just fell flat and it didn't really highlight those porter and smokey flavors and aromas as well as I would like. Better luck next time guys, this beer just didn't do it for me, but I would still like to try the chipotle version of it.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours dark brown with a nice medium height head. The smoke hits you up front in both the smell and the taste. There is a faint bitterness at the end from the hops. Medium body that goes down well.

A really good beer but misses the mark for me.

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a decent beer, I'm just not too crazy about it. First off the smell reminds me of a smoldering ash tray in a bar which turned me off at first. As the beer warmed up in the glass I enjoyed it a little more. It has a nice smoked nutty flavor with hints of chocolate taffy and mocha, but a little one dimensional. I'm not sure if I would buy this beer again, would like to find something a little richer and with more distinct flavors.

3.52/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured Smoked Porter into a Belgian Tulip.

A - The liquid pours dark brown almost black with two fingers of light mocha head.

S - Roasted malt, light coffee, a touch of vanilla.

T - Roasted smoky malts, bitter coffee mid palate.

M - Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation

O - A good beer. Just not sure I'd get it again. Cheers.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured on tap at local bottle shop.

A: Dak brown almost black with nice two finger head.

S: Smokey goodness. Roasty grains. Maybe some faint hops in the back.

T: Roasted sweet malts mixed with a faint smoke. Bitter chocolate.

M: Nice crisp clean body and good carbonation.

O: This is an easy drinking clean porter. One of my favorite porters so far. I think this is one of the unsung heroes of Stone's year round line up.

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.