Join our email list →

Stone Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Porter | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,788 | Hads: 4,102
3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

I don't have massive porter experience, but I am a huge Deschutes Black Butte Porter fan, and after grabbing a 12-pack of that at Bevmo I decided to throw a pounder of Stone's Smoked Porter into the basket. I love Stone's IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard... so I figured what the heck.

A - Not a huge head, but did get some nice protein lacing on the way through. Less opaque than Black Butte.

S - Burnt alcohol, a little malt?

M - A little more "watery" than I've used to.

T - Wood, black cherry, burnt alcohol.

D - This was a one-timer for me, although it wasn't painful by any means.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego!

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle in a pint glass.

Appearance:
Very dark black with about 1/4" medium colored head that the beer retains for a short period of time.

Smell:
Very strong malty smell of chocolate with a hint of smokiness to it with a slight hint of roasted coming through.

Taste:
A bit light at first but then a strong bitterness comes through with the malts that leaves a somewhat dry aftertaste with a slight sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel:
Feels light bodied, slightly watery but is incredibly smooth but with a possible hint of overcarbonation.

Drinkability:
This beer is very easy to drink but the taste of it leaves you desiring slightly more to it-it has a bit of blandness to it. I would probably drink another given its smoothness.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this smoked porter. Reminds me of sitting with friends around a bonfire. It's very simple, and definitely a go to beer. Not to complex but very friendly to the senses! Poured very smooth. Light hints of bitter chocolate and dark coffee.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Black, but not quite as opaque as some other porters. A little bit of light sneaks through at the bottom of the glass. Poured about a finger of somewhat creamy head. Leaves beautiful lacing on the glass. A very attractive beer.

Smell: Heavy French vanilla on the forefront. Chocolate, prunes, slight smokiness on the back end, but not as pronounced as I thought. I may not have even noticed it if I weren't looking for it. Smells absolutely lovely.

Taste: Boy, I wish this one was available more often where I am in Canada. Strong, bitter black coffee notes on the forefront. The vanilla that I smelled is almost entirely gone. Dark chocolate in there, and I'm getting a surprisingly piny hop character on the back end. Smokiness lingers within the bitterness, but is not very heavy. Very complex, very strong, everything you want in a porter.

Feel: Medium feel, medium carbonation. Slightly sticky. Slightly creamy.

A very well done porter. Smoked porter is strong, bitter, and complex, but most important of all it is extremely tasty. Will definitely pick this one up again if I'm lucky enough to see it in an LCBO.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

The good news is that finally Stone is available in New Jersey,so I was eager to try this beer.The beer itself (22oz bottle) was a dark brown to black color,almost cola looking,with a small tan head that quickly dissappeared.The aromas were slight hints of chocolate and coffee.Those aromas were also in the taste as well as black licorice and you could definetly get the taste of smoke,especially in the nice finish.This is a very unique offering from Stone,but something you should surely check out.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours reddish brown with 1 to 2 finger head. Head has staying power.

Smell:s like coffee and something bitter sweet like moxie.

Taste : coffee and melted sugar. smoked porter is apt. something mellow. campfire roasted marshmallow and cocoa, but much heavier.

mouthfeel : satin with a small nip at the tip of your tongue. nice.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Once again Stone has the head that won't quit. Beautiful lacing all the way to the end.Has a smokey charcoal aroma with a hint of peat. Carbonation is just perfect and such a smooth feel on the tongue. Here's where it gets interesting. Shared this with two friends and they just kept going back and forth on the flavors that kept coming through. Roasted, toasted barley, hops comes to the palate for a brief visit only to be replaced with perhaps a caramel but I think chocolate. Stone just keeps our minds working with the combinations of flavors in all of their brews. Definely one of the best Porters I've ever had. If you missed this one, you're missing the boat!!!

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at Old Chicago Downtown Denver.

Nice dark color with tight thick head. Sublte smokey aroma with a smooth balanced malty flavor. A great find on tap, very drinkable. Stopped in after GABF Saturday session, I hope it's still on after the weekend festivities.

A - Poured black with a slight tan head. Laces well.

S - Caramel malts. Smoke is not overpowering.

T - Starts malty, with caramel. Chocolate & slight licorice. Smoke shows up in the aftertaste. A bit raw.

M - Good carbonation. Not as creamy as other porters, but the small, almost non-existant head has something to do with it.

D - Lower alchohol% (5.7) makes it repeatable, but since it has a quite strong smokey aftertaste, I will want to finish it up w/ something hoppy. Would pair well w/ fruit.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Really dark colour with a small amount of head that disappeared rather quickly. Left a fair amount of lacing on the side.

Smells roasty with a faint hint of maltiness. Extremely charred malty, coffee-like flavour with a great deal of warm bitterness in the finish; a little bit dry. Smooth as silk.

Loved this beer, great stuff!!

3.89/5  rDev -3.2%

I have to be honest. I was drawn to this beer by the price as much as I was by the reputation. Actually, the reputation of Stone is good beer at a reasonable price, so I am right on the money, so to speak. The appearance of this porter is very dark, almost a deep purple when pouring. It produced a thick, light-colored head, which in turn produced a thick patterned lace. The smell was average, above average for porters. Faint hints of chocolate, and coffee can be detected if you strain your nose. But the taste is where this beer shines. The start is full of chocolate and coffee, with a nice full-bodied mouthfeel. The finish reveals a nice light slight bitter smokiness that mingles with the coffee still on the palate. In all this porter is a very drinkable session beer, that would go with just about any meal. Seriously.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Dark brown yet not quite black. Somewhere around Coca-Cola.

Smell: Plenty of coffee aromas and some chocolate.

Taste: Unlike the Imperial Russian Stout, this brew yells out "Coffee!" to me. I also sense some hoppy flavor and a good bit of chocolate, yet the main power of this brew is the coffee.

Mouthfeel: As a porter should feel: not as thick as a stout, but still plenty thick.

Drinkability: It's great for hopheads like me to find a brew like this to break up my hop-craving ways. In the middle of a night of drinking, or towards the end, I will break out a bomber of this to totally jarr my palate. It's always a delightful switch.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this in a big bottle, 22 oz., and was expecting something a bit different. Drank it in a frosted 12 oz. standard beer glass and maybe it was overall too cold. Body was rich and thick with a great thick head like a porter should be. Taste was very chocolately and malty without much smoke at all. Very easy drinking porter in a perfect size for sharing.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

I believe that the specifics have been covered. Would just like to state that being a dreaded "Dark Beer" as some of my friends would call it, My best friend and my girlfriend, neither beer drinkers have had this beer (more of a vodka drink style). Loved this beer! I've happy to be there to see the looks on their faces when the just realized that not all beers are terrible! oh yea.

Pours a beautiful dark auburn. nice creamy head with light lacing. smell of sweet with notes of bitter chocolate. first taste is suprising. slightly sweet. not overly "dark beer" tasting. very clean finish. medium bodied that lingers on the palate just long enough pick up the docile flavors that this brew offers. chocolate, coffee, slight dark fruit and some dark malts really come together well in the beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Very dark brown, almost black. The head rises about two fingers and is a nice khaki color. It dissipates fairly quickly but leaves thin lacing in the form of rings.

S: Nose is full of saltpeter. You can sense the smokiness right away. Also some notes of roasty chocolate malts.

T: Not at all like the aroma. I get quite a bit of fruit--cherries, figs. Otherwise coffee and some bitterness. The smoke doesn't appear until the finish and it lingers a bit after but not at all overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with a good share of carbonation.

D: Definitely high but if you don't like lingering smoke then you might disagree. Low ABV makes this a reasonable beer to double up on. That and the good flavor and aroma.

Notes: Freshness date 2/18/2010. Had it at the end of the suggested period but that didn't seem to detract from the experience.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - Pours a very dark almost black with a large tan head; great lacing and retention.

S - Chocolate and toasted malts.

T - Very rich malt, dark chocolate; Slightly sweet, with a pleasant smoky taste and after taste.

M - Very smooth with medium to highly carbonated.

D - Great drinkability.

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

Last week I paired a big bottle of this fine porter with some steaks that my mother-in-law grilled. It reinforced the meal nicely.

A-Beautiful, in the space where brown and black meet; one finger head, no lacing

S-Roasted malt, mild hops, chocolate, mesquite

T-BBQ meat smoked for some time, chocolate and coffee

M-Smooth, slight snap of bubbles

O-This will be a go to porter for me at any grilled red meat experience; the smoke action is really terrific, hats off to Stone for another great one

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Look – 4, Smell – 4.5, Taste – 4.5, Feel – 4, Overall – 4.5

A – Beer pours a very dark brown, almost black and opaque with a thick tan head.

S – The first smell this beer reminded me of was a smoked cheese, in a good way. It has a very smoky, malty scent with hints of chocolate.

T – A delicious roasted malt flavor comes through with the notes of chocolate, coffee and smoke. Has a slightly bitter bite to it.

M – The beer has a good medium body with the right amount of carbonation.

O – I had this delicious beer on tap at the Stone Brewing restaurant and it was definitely a highlight of the ones I sampled. It has a distinct flavor and worth enjoying again.

4.89/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I don't normally drink a lot of porters because I prefer hoppy beers and generally think that porters/stouts aren't as complex. This beer made me change my mind. This porter has a very a very dynamic full body malt character. I liked the smoky coffee character. All together a great beer. I will be looking to try more of the same.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

I am early in my journey of fine craft beers and this is my first Smoked Porter. The appearance is what I expected it to be, dark and rich. The smell was a bit of a surprise as it was a little more floral than I expected, which I liked. The taste was great with no bitter bite or tongue swabbing after taste. Overall, I think this is a very good beer that I would recommend to someone who is scared of trying a porter for the first time.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured very dark, with a decent head. Loved the "smokey" flavor and feel of the beer but i was a little disapointed with the nose...couldn't really smell the smoke. As far as drinkability, it was awesome...I only had one and was sad to see it go.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

This is an exceptional beer. A dark and delicious brew that pours black with a very light tan head, and displays some lovely ruby tints when held up to a light. The body is full and smooth. Flavors of coffee and roasted malts hit strong on the middle and back of the palate for a very tasty experience. The smokey taste lingers and pleases the palate, and the abundance of flavor creates a healthy thirst for more.

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a very dark, almost black, brown, with an hint of translucency ( I could see the shadow of my fingers on the other side of the glass). I picked up a slight smoky aroma from the bottle. The creamy tan head stayed a 1/4 inch thick till the bitter end. And that's my only negative. As smooth and creamy as this beer looks, and feels in the mouth, I was taken by surprise by the bitter bite. Not a complaint, just unexpected. Now that I am expecting it, I will enjoy this beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Dark, nearly opaque, red-brown. Puffy beige head, good lacing.

S - Aroma is a little hard to place. Smoky, hint of dark chocolate.

T - Roasted malt with a lingering smoke flavor. Bitter, but hops are mellow and most of the (fruit?) hop undertones are buried under the smoke. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

M - Creamy without feeling flat--carbonation is nice.

D - Drinkable for a porter.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.