Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,775 | Hads: 4,019
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Got this in a big bottle, 22 oz., and was expecting something a bit different. Drank it in a frosted 12 oz. standard beer glass and maybe it was overall too cold. Body was rich and thick with a great thick head like a porter should be. Taste was very chocolately and malty without much smoke at all. Very easy drinking porter in a perfect size for sharing. (356 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

I believe that the specifics have been covered. Would just like to state that being a dreaded "Dark Beer" as some of my friends would call it, My best friend and my girlfriend, neither beer drinkers have had this beer (more of a vodka drink style). Loved this beer! I've happy to be there to see the looks on their faces when the just realized that not all beers are terrible! oh yea.

Pours a beautiful dark auburn. nice creamy head with light lacing. smell of sweet with notes of bitter chocolate. first taste is suprising. slightly sweet. not overly "dark beer" tasting. very clean finish. medium bodied that lingers on the palate just long enough pick up the docile flavors that this brew offers. chocolate, coffee, slight dark fruit and some dark malts really come together well in the beer. (797 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Very dark brown, almost black. The head rises about two fingers and is a nice khaki color. It dissipates fairly quickly but leaves thin lacing in the form of rings.

S: Nose is full of saltpeter. You can sense the smokiness right away. Also some notes of roasty chocolate malts.

T: Not at all like the aroma. I get quite a bit of fruit--cherries, figs. Otherwise coffee and some bitterness. The smoke doesn't appear until the finish and it lingers a bit after but not at all overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with a good share of carbonation.

D: Definitely high but if you don't like lingering smoke then you might disagree. Low ABV makes this a reasonable beer to double up on. That and the good flavor and aroma.

Notes: Freshness date 2/18/2010. Had it at the end of the suggested period but that didn't seem to detract from the experience. (874 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - Pours a very dark almost black with a large tan head; great lacing and retention.

S - Chocolate and toasted malts.

T - Very rich malt, dark chocolate; Slightly sweet, with a pleasant smoky taste and after taste.

M - Very smooth with medium to highly carbonated.

D - Great drinkability. (339 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Last week I paired a big bottle of this fine porter with some steaks that my mother-in-law grilled. It reinforced the meal nicely.

A-Beautiful, in the space where brown and black meet; one finger head, no lacing

S-Roasted malt, mild hops, chocolate, mesquite

T-BBQ meat smoked for some time, chocolate and coffee

M-Smooth, slight snap of bubbles

O-This will be a go to porter for me at any grilled red meat experience; the smoke action is really terrific, hats off to Stone for another great one (500 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Look – 4, Smell – 4.5, Taste – 4.5, Feel – 4, Overall – 4.5

A – Beer pours a very dark brown, almost black and opaque with a thick tan head.

S – The first smell this beer reminded me of was a smoked cheese, in a good way. It has a very smoky, malty scent with hints of chocolate.

T – A delicious roasted malt flavor comes through with the notes of chocolate, coffee and smoke. Has a slightly bitter bite to it.

M – The beer has a good medium body with the right amount of carbonation.

O – I had this delicious beer on tap at the Stone Brewing restaurant and it was definitely a highlight of the ones I sampled. It has a distinct flavor and worth enjoying again. (686 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

I am early in my journey of fine craft beers and this is my first Smoked Porter. The appearance is what I expected it to be, dark and rich. The smell was a bit of a surprise as it was a little more floral than I expected, which I liked. The taste was great with no bitter bite or tongue swabbing after taste. Overall, I think this is a very good beer that I would recommend to someone who is scared of trying a porter for the first time. (437 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Poured very dark, with a decent head. Loved the "smokey" flavor and feel of the beer but i was a little disapointed with the nose...couldn't really smell the smoke. As far as drinkability, it was awesome...I only had one and was sad to see it go. (246 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

This is an exceptional beer. A dark and delicious brew that pours black with a very light tan head, and displays some lovely ruby tints when held up to a light. The body is full and smooth. Flavors of coffee and roasted malts hit strong on the middle and back of the palate for a very tasty experience. The smokey taste lingers and pleases the palate, and the abundance of flavor creates a healthy thirst for more. (414 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I don't normally drink a lot of porters because I prefer hoppy beers and generally think that porters/stouts aren't as complex. This beer made me change my mind. This porter has a very a very dynamic full body malt character. I liked the smoky coffee character. All together a great beer. I will be looking to try more of the same. (331 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a very dark, almost black, brown, with an hint of translucency ( I could see the shadow of my fingers on the other side of the glass). I picked up a slight smoky aroma from the bottle. The creamy tan head stayed a 1/4 inch thick till the bitter end. And that's my only negative. As smooth and creamy as this beer looks, and feels in the mouth, I was taken by surprise by the bitter bite. Not a complaint, just unexpected. Now that I am expecting it, I will enjoy this beer. (480 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Dark, nearly opaque, red-brown. Puffy beige head, good lacing.

S - Aroma is a little hard to place. Smoky, hint of dark chocolate.

T - Roasted malt with a lingering smoke flavor. Bitter, but hops are mellow and most of the (fruit?) hop undertones are buried under the smoke. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

M - Creamy without feeling flat--carbonation is nice.

D - Drinkable for a porter. (395 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Stone Smoked Porter:

I love this porter. Pours a dark black refreshing, with a frothy head tan in color. Head retention was pretty good. Some lace found on the cup. Smells of smoke, wood, some coffee and chocolate notes as well. Tastes like smokey heaven. Very nice flavors. The smokey taste hits the front and it finishes with a great aroma of smokey coffee notes. Very smooth and fairly light in body. Drinkability is average although I would not mind having a couple. (471 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

Serving - 1pt. 6oz. Brown Bottle.

Appearance - Nice dark brown in color almost black. A thinner head when poured that thins even more over a few minutes but lingers pencil thin and laces as you drink.

Smell - nice deep smokey almost coffee aroma

Taste - Delicious. excellent balance of Smokey flavor, with a nice coffee or bitter chocolate flavor which ends in just the right amount of hops.

Mouthfeel - great full bodied beer with just the right amount of carbonation. Nice and smooth.

Drinkability - this is a fantastic beer, I just wanted to drink it. And when I was done I wanted to go to the store an buy another one. (627 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

a - dark brown on the edges and black in the center. suprisingly white smooth head.

s - smoky and slightly chocolatey.

t - there is some slight bitterness from the roasted malt, but it is not overpowering or inappropriate for the style. the hardness of the water is apparent as well as some slight coffee flavor. again, both are appropriate for style.

m - medium bodied with distinctive carbonation that is just enough.

d- a very enjoyable beer and a great representation of the style. i'd recommend it. (508 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

A truly excellent porter, one that will at least cause me to pause before automatically reaching for Anchor's. The aroma immediately said "Stone", with a sweet spicy (mango chutney?) melody harmoniously laid on top of a classic roasted-coffee porter background, and a strong hint of smoke. It pours beautifully dark and clear, with a nice creamy head which subsides quickly into a drinkable thin film. Even though served quite warm, the flavor and mouthfeel didn't quite live up to what my eyes and nose had promised--I prefer porters that pack just a little bit more sweet, roasted maltiness--but it was still quite good, with the smoke flavor again perfectly balanced. And it all finished very clean, making this one very drinkable porter. (741 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Deep mahogany pour, thin quickly dissipating head. A nice inhale on lift as if slightly upwind of a campfire. Some caramel in the moment. Afterwards, retention of the original scent on the back of the throat, a kind of essence found dissipating in the embers of the morning, the fire remembered. Light on the hops throughout the experience, bringing smoke to the forefront in aroma and aftertaste. Well brewed.

- Bomber pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass - (468 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark Black with almost no head

S: Rich Malty with the smell of 60% Cacao

T: Strong chocolate notes, nutty notes come through on the exhale

M: very light carbonation with a little alcohol warmth

D: Strong malt flavor might turn off the average ber drinker but very pleasant. (281 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27.2%

I was very excited to try this beer after a local brewery had a smoked IPA... I wanted more smoke! I love Stone so I figured this would be a good place to start...

Appearance is dark... basicly black juice.
Smell is chocolate/coffee/roast
I'm working on a bomber now, and at first I had maybe half a finger of head in my sniffer glass. But on my thrid (and final) pour I have zero head. My beer honestly looks like a glass of ink. Also, zero lacing. The head bubbled out like a glass of diet coke.

Taste is a let down, I was expecting smoke.. I got zero smoke. Maybe my taste buds suck, but I'm being honest here, I didn't taste smoke! Ok maybe a little.. if I imagine it.
Other then that its a pretty mild porter. Chocolate/coffee with a mix roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is blah, not smooth, not rough. The roast sticks around on the tongue like you'd expect from a porter or stout.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer.. Its a good solid porter, and nothing more. But sadly my expectations were let down. I was expecting a "Big beer" from stone, with lots of smoke. I want an imperial smoked porter that tastes like i'm eating some smoked ham!
Prost! (1,144 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, tan head quickly subsides to about 1/4" of foam that leaves a moderate amount of lacing on the glass. The beer is dark, almost black, but shows through ruby-red when held up to the light.

This beer started off almost refrigerator-cold, and the initial aroma was almost non-existent. As it warmed, the smell remained subtle, but hinted toward chocolate and espresso. I'd almost say that the aroma (delicate) was wildly inconsistent with the flavor (very, very big).

At first taste, while still quite cold, I was absolutely blown away by the sweetness. With strong chocolate and cherry flavors, I would almost characterize this beer as tasting like Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke when cold. As it warmed, flavors shifted more toward the chocolate and dark coffee end. Hop flavor was more prominent as it warmed up, and throughout, the mouthfeel was smooth and thick.

Throughout the tasting, whether cold or warmer, the beer retained a strong smoky flavor that shared the powerful finish with a wallop of hop bitterness. This beer sticks with you long after the sip, bitter as all get-out.

Overall, a well-balanced, solid beer, whose initial over-sweetness was tempered first by the smokey flavor and then by the hops. A long, bitter finish, though, hurt the drinkability: I would never consider this a "session" beer. (1,329 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a great porter. but it's not smoky. at all. other than the misleading label, this is an outstanding beverage.
If you are looking for something smoky, something with serious rauch appeal, grab a a rogue smoke ale, or an alaskan smoked porter, but not this.
Pours almost black, a tinge of amber can be seen around the edges when holding it to the light, lets you know it's not quite a stout.
the smell is fantastic, chocolately, grains, caramel. almost some smoke hiding in there somewhere.
It tastes just like it smells, rich and velvetey.
also, a buck or two cheaper than most stone beers, so a great bargain. (617 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Nice thick, tan head. Dark and clear. Slightly reddish tone.

S - Malty, hoppy, slightly citrus, with some chocolate at the end.

T - Smoky, malty, roasted flavor. Coffee and slight chocolate.

M - Slightly thin, not much carbonation. Quite nice.

D - Great beer. Slightly sweet with not too much bite and good depth. Excellence balance and overall characteristics. (369 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Very dark brown, but clear enough that a little light gets through the glass. Head is thick and with a tan color.
Smell: roasted malt with a little chocolate. The smoke is there but not overpowering.
Taste: Again roasted malt primarily. The smokiness appears late and lingers on the tongue.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied.
Drinkability: A well-balanced very drinkable stout. Not the best I've had, but certainly one that I always enjoy drinking. (452 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: It poured a very dark brownish/black color that some reddish tints when held up to the light. A nice dark tan head formed and left a lace of foam on the glass.

Smell: As soon as I poured it into the glass, I could smell the smoked malt. That pretty much drowned everything else out and that was all I could smell. I might have served this beer a little too cold which would mask some of the flavors. I'll have to revisit this one.

Taste: The smoked malt was the most prevelant and obvious flavor given the name of the beer. I though Stone did a good job of still have the "regular" malt flavor come through and mix with the smoked, but the smoked flavor overpowered anything else.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was the first thing that I noticed. It was very smooth and didn't overpower like i was expecting after the first sip. It was gone as quick as it came in.

Drinkability: Overall, I think this is a good beer. Something I'll probably keep in my fridge, but possibly in small quantities. The smoked flavor started to bother me a little towards the end of the beer. I think I could enjoy one or two of these in a session and then have to move on. I started to think about an odd analogy for this...so here it is...but i warned you, it's odd. It's like when you meet this hot girl who smokes. The sex will probably be great, but she'll taste like an ashtray...I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Hey....at least you got laid!! :-) (1,459 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

22 oz. bottle

Appearance- Pours dark brown/black with very thin cream colored foam.

Smell- Chocolate malt comes through well with smoke background.

Taste- Heavy to medium malt flavor with good chocolate notes and just enough smoke that is not overpowering. Nice subtle bitter hop bite at the end of the swallow.

Mouthfeel- The malt richness creates a smooth and creamy that is not too thick.

Drinkability- Good beer with the right amount of smoky flavor that isn't overwhelming. (485 characters)

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.