Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,935 | Reviews: 1,787

3.16/5  rDev -21%

Has a three finger head with a tan color that lasts for awhile. The smell is faint with smoked coffee and dark chocolate. The first taste that hits my tongue is the taste of smoked oak and roasted bitter coffee. There is hints of dried fruit and little dark chocolate. Overall I'm disappointed with this porter. It's not by any means bad but there are a lot better porters out there.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a dark, ruby porter with excellent body and a solid, sweet smell. The hops are milder than other big porters that I've sampled, so the notes center less on black coffee and more on chocolate malt and stewed plum flavors. There is a dash of smoky flavor in the background, as advertised, but I might have missed it if I were not looking for it. Overall, I found Stone Smoked Porter very drinkable and pleasant, a beer that I will definitely pick up again.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a 16oz Maudite Snifter.

Pours a nice black color with a good head. I expected a slightly deeper brown head, but it has that characteristic stout look. Aroma is faintly smoky without being overwhelming. The smokey taste, similar to the nose, is subtle but there. It's not an overwhelming amount of smoke like, for example, the Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. If I wasn't looking for it, I'm not certain I'd pick it out blind.

Slight lingering bitterness and a nice medium mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable porter. Meets my expectations for the style really well, not too heavy, more a of season changing fall or early spring beer for me.

Quite nice.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.8/5  rDev -5%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.2/5  rDev +5%

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

While generally not a big fan of Black Malt, this is the bottle that has made me a beleiver...I really like Porters now! This one is absolutely great, the best one to date. No not watery hopless brew with nothing but burnt barley taste no, no, no. Here is the real deal a beautifully crafted Robust Porter with just enough ABV as to enjoy a few, and a great bone white thick creamy head on top of a dark garnet brown sea of greatness. Definatelly has a hop presance that perfectly balances out the nutty, coffe notes that dominate the flavor profile. Nearly faultless as these bottles went quick and will definately find its way back to my cellar very soon.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle with the usual Stone gargoyle and writing about the beer on the back.

A: Pours black, though not pitch black, it does let a bit of light through. Two-finger tannish head that sticks around and clings.

S: Not much going here except for the malts, and not carrying that strongly.

T: Nice. Smoked malts come through first, with a bit of chocolate, coffee, and hops mixed in.

M: Medium-bodied, carbonation just right.

D: Very drinkable- I kind of wish I'd kept the whole bomber instead of splitting it.

Overall an excellent porter from a brewery that has yet to disappoint.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

I read a few reviews prior to drinking this great brew which helped me interpret its complex delicious tastes.

Firstly I couldn't really detect the smokey part in the taste despite being able to smell smoke-like hints in the aroma. In the end I decided that the slightly alcoholic esters at that are felt towards the end of the swallow was the smokiness intended to be tasted in this beer.

Overall I loved this beer. The roasted malts lent themselves to delectable chocolate and coffee notes like a rich cafe latte. Despite its mouthfeel being on the heavy side (which I like) this bodacious brew was very drinkable.

Thanks Stone Brewing Company for another amazing beer!!!

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours out an almost black velvety color with minimal lacing.

Smells of roasted coffee beans with a hint of chocolate.

The taste is really smokey and smooth. The dark chocolate flavors come through and share the spotlight with coffee notes and maybe some vanilla in the backround. Some slight warm alcohol also makes it, making it taste a bit heavier than it is- which isn't really bad. The finish is definitely smooth coffee- pretty damn nice.

Carbonated nicely, not too much, which I actually like for the Porter style. Maybe lacks some body though.

Totally drinkable. I could throw back a few glasses. The smokey flavor really makes it interesting.

It's really satisfying and tasty. And at the totally reasonable price of $5.25 a bomber, which I paid, I absolutely will be buying this again. Once again, more proof Stone's offerings are rarely matched.

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle poured into mug.

A...very dark brown with absolutely no light coming through when held up to it. Thin head with nice retention and good lacing.

s...faint smell of cocoa and maybe some dark roasted coffee beans.

T...nice dark chocalate with some bitter cocoa mixed into a nice sweet malt. A very flavorful balance with a clean finish. Very little aftertaste.

M...low carbonation, thick and creamy.

O...very pleasurable beer. I intended to smoke a cigar with this brew but that didn't happen. I liked the beer alot however and will definitely buy again. I think this will pair great with a really good maduro.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.