Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Nice dark, dark amber color when put up to a light, a little darker than other Porters I think, minimal head and lacing.

S-Subtle smoke aroma with sometype of fruitiness in there.

T-The taste didnt blow my mind or anything, about what I expected, you can taste the smokiness but its not overpowering, and maybe its just me but the alcohol seems to be more prevelant than I would like.

M-Thick and creamy

D-Easily a good drinkable beer, goes down pretty smooth and the palate is not overpowered by the smoke.

4.11/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Deep, dark, almost opaque in color with a tan head. Only a hint of burnt smoke in the nose with some notes of coffee. The taste was great - just a little bit of smokey background, with a coffee or dark fruit flavor. The best part of this wonderful brew is the fact that it finishes so clean. Almost no residual bitterness (you would never know it was 50+ IBU).

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.37/5  rDev +9%

This is quite possibly the beer that turned me from a hophead to a porterphile. While I find many porters to be interesting and well made, this really bent some of the preconceived notions I had, as to what a beer should be.
Appearance is magnificently thick and rich poured into a clear pint glass leaving a couple...oops, I poured too hard...three and a half fingers of cream colored head with wisps of tan throughout. The aroma is smoky and full of that charred porter goodness that many of us love. The smoke is so well balanced here that it flows seamlessly through the flavor. They do not joke when they suggest barbecue on the bottle. The flavors are sweet and malty up front with the smoke beginning to rise in the mid-palate and by the time that roasted char comes through in the finish the smoke peaks and hangs around like a campfire in the early morning. An interesting beer that should be given a try by anyone, especially those who think porters aren't as exciting as hoppier beers.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

My first foray into the big Stone family of Porter's. Needless to say, I was not left disappointed as this beer packed all of the punch and flavor I've become accustomed to with Stone beers. This beer is jet black, offering no discernible light through, and has a thin tan head that lasts until the very last drop. A sweet feel on the tongue is followed by a strong smokey flavor that delivers an uncompromising finish on what the name implies. Would I buy this again? Absolutely. Do I regret missing out on their chipotle porter? Absolutely.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.81/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a chilled mug. Prominent, thick, 1"-2" head that lingers a bit, nice lacing. Beautiful mahogany brown in color, fading to pitch black in the center of the mug. If you pour it aggressively it can get a huge head of at least 3+ inches :-)

Nose is mild at first, improving as it warms over a ten minute period before drinking. I can also smell some hops in there, nothing too strong though. Presence is mild and I thought the flavor might be mild as well.

Initial taste, wow, surprised me. Initially mild sweetness, with a complex character. Roasted malts, mild bitter chocolate, charred wood, smokey (as intended?). Fairly thin in the mouth. Finishes with a mild hops bitterness that compliments the first sweet tones. Definitely some bittersweet chocolate overtones and thicker than anticipated. Nicely dry and crisp, no oiliness at all. Leaves the mouth feeling refreshed and clean. At 5.9% abv this is an easily drinkable session beer and not overpowering, I can't wait to try it with some BBQ'd pork or a nice ribeye. I am quite surprised at the overall flavor and character.

Not really being familiar with the porter style of beers, I am hesitant to rate this too high, since there may well be something much better out there. Still, I am going to give this a 7 out of 10 based on it being much more flavorful than I expected based on the nose, and the drinkability of it. Definitely will have this again, next time, I WILL have some BBQ ready to go with it!

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Served into Arrogant Bastard pint glass (fizzy yellow beer is for wussies)

A - Deep chocolatey brown to near black. Gave me three fingers of deep head that sticks around for quite sometime and leaves a network of lacing around the glass.

S - Scents of a roasted nuttiness, almost like a hazelnut coffee even. Smoke it faint, but there. Not overpowering at all.

T - An initial creamish flavor with some light notes of nut and coffee that lets in a very brief and very short lived smokiness at the very end of the profile.

M - The mouthfeel might've been my favorite aspect of this beer. A creamy, almost malty (think like malted chocolate milkshake) mouthfeel that is just very inviting, but has just the right amount of carbonation to let the flavors it features tickle the tongue.

O - The smokiness is actually far more muted than I expected on a smoked porter, but I might be biasing the review by expecting a higher smokiness. The smoke is definitely there, but not inyoface. A good offering that would go remarkably well with a bbqed brisket. I'll revisit this again sometime soon.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On-Tap, pint glass at Mississippi Pizza, Portalnd, Oregon March 11, 2013

Appearance: Dark, almost opaque. Off white head, good retention

Smell: Not strong, slight malt sweetness

Taste: Malt forward, slight roastiness, smoke flavor hidden deep. Milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Lighter side for porter. Above average carbonation.

Overall: A great porter. One I would revisit. Smokiness almost not enough, although better to err on too little, perhaps...

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bomber.
Appearance was almost black but some light comes through on the edges, with a creamy beige head that lasts for a good while.

Smelled a little sweet with some piney hops.

The taste had couple things going on. sweetness, roasted coffee and malts up front with some pronounced bitter hops at the end. the hops and coffee linger afterward.

Medium mouth-peel with a tongue coating quality.

Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful deep brown, almost black color with a nice tan head, and leaves a decent lacing as the glass is emptied.

S- The aroma is subtle but the malt is front and center.

T- The taste on this is what wins me over. Chocolate and coffee flavors and a slight smokiness (almost burnt) flavor come out on top.

M- Nice full mouthfeel.

D- It's been a while since I've had a really good porter and this one reminded me of what I was missing. A really good porter.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

I bought a bomber of this at Whole Foods in White Plains New York the other day. I poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown with some ruby red tint. I can barely see through it when held to light. No head to speak of, but had a slight off white film that floated on top. It left no lace rings.

S- First whiff had a nice chocolate malt aroma with slight notes of coffee and caramel. It also had a pleasent smokey note that was very subdued.

T- Much like the smell, chocolate malts dominated. It also had subtle hints of coffee, sweet toffee, and vanilla with a light fig or raisin note. It had a realy good smokey undertone that didn't overpower everything else. It also had some mild citrusy hops on the back end.

M- Medium body with good carbonation. The over all feel seems to fit this style of beer very well.

D- I'm not general a big fan of porters, but do like smoked beers. I liked this a lot! I thought the smoke was very balanced with the malty sweetness and didn't over power the way some do. I drank with grilled pork chops and thought they complemented each other nicely. I will definatly buy again and could drink a few of these at one sitting. Over all another very nice beer from Stone. Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

Tried this in a 22oz bomber.

A. Dark brown color poured with a solid finger of light tan head, left quickly leaving only a thin layer.

S. Not much of a smell. Some roasted and smoky hints(who'd of guessed in a smoked porter.)

T. Nice rich roasted flavor. More roasted then smoky in my opinion. A mild hoppy bitterness on the last few sips.

M. Crisp, the bitterness and low carbonation = goodness

D. Id drink more then a few of these, not over powering but definitely a beer that you'd remember.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.