Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.91/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Poured in to a glass, pours black with an amber tint with slightly brown head.

S- slight roasted malts more hints of chocolate.

T- Chocolate malts and coffee pretty good taste similar to the smell.

M- Pretty good carbonation for a heavier beer pretty good smooth as well.

O- overall I enjoyed this porter very much will definitely be having another one next chance I can.

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle purchased from La Jolla BevMo. Poured into the trusty ole Guinness shaker pint (someone buy me a tulip).

A: Looks black. Only when held directly up to light can you see subtle shades of ruby peering through the glass. Lovely big head foams up, sticks around for the duration as more than adequate lacing.

S: I am going to avoid the typical "smokey smell" diatribe. It does smell good though. A little vanilla, a lot of coffee, maybe some smooth caramel too.

T: A tangy bit more bittersweet than I anticipated. Sits well on the tongue however, and by the end is more smooth by half.

M: A little more carbonated/bubbly on the tongue than I would have preferred. Doesn't detract too much from an otherwise excellent porter though.

D: Could easily finish a bomber myself. *hic* Absurdly low ABV compared to some of the monsters I've had recently.

A- Deep Brown with and amber frame. Thin light beige head which is very bubbly. Dissipates rather quickly.

S- Good amount of smoke and sweet malts. Hints of chocolate and vanilla.

T- Very smokey backed by sweet malts. Hints of chocolate, caramel, some dark fruits, touch of hops to finish.

M- Smooth, medium bodied, decently carbonated.

D- Easy to drink, very satisfying. Another good offering from Stone.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a great beer for beer geeks, and perhaps why I like it. The nose is just so intriguing. I could spend hours sniffing this one. On first sniff I got charcoal and smoke. Then I stuck my schnozz in there again and smelled some dark fruit, then some wood, then licorice and herbs, then some pine needle, then some smoked salt, then....well, I could go on and on. The nose is so complex you can dig-out all kinds of aromas. Like I said, a beer geek's beer - you could study this one for hours. Some may be turned off by this one, but I find it really fun. The mouthfeel is perfectly porter - light, dancing, but still bursting with flavor. The palate mirrors the nose, and leaves a nice, complex, lingering aftertaste. Again, not one for everyone, but a great brew for the adventuresome.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Poured a very dark brown that you can just barely see through. One finger of tan to light brown head which appears very foamy and fluffy but recedes quickly leaving a fair bit of lacing.

S: Very very subtle smells here, roasted nuts and obviously a bit of smokiness, but I'm not getting much from the smell at all. Maybe it was just my nose at the time.

T: Obviously some smokiness, and woodiness, but it's very subtle as in the smell. I taste light grains and a little bit of floral hops, and some light fruit and candy notes in there also. As with the smell, all the flavors in here seem to be extremely subtle, but very very nice.

M: Light and crisply carbonated, yet heavy and tongue coating enough to get by as a porter. A little light for my taste, but nice.

D: I could drink a bunch of these, and with the price tag there's no reason not to. I'd choose this over a Yuengling Porter any day of the week. Smooth, refreshing, light, yet heavy enough for those who rebel against fizzy yellow beers with multi-million dollar ad campaigns (Please refer to the label on a bottle of Arrogant Bastard)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

2.3/5  rDev -42.6%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Black to very dark brown on the edges. An off white head that holds like a nice crown on top.

S: Dark and chocolaty. Im pulling some smoky/roasted characters out of the nose, but nothing overpowering.

T: Not bad, but nothing realy dominating the flavor. Somewhat Roasted with some bitterness in there. Its almost like the flavors are hiding like when you drink a beer too cold, but this baby was pulled up from the cellar at 55 degrees so that cant be the problem here.

M: Thinner than I'd like.

Overall not the best porter I've had, but this is my first smoked porter and I'm curious to try others. I'd love to drink this with some smoked pork ribs as I'm betting it'd be great with anything bbq'd.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a pint into an over-sized wine glass.

A: Dark brown, sticky. Thin viscosity. Frothy-whitish foam, but not much of it.

S: Pretty mild smelling; hints of malt, molasses, chocolate, soy sauce.

T: Lingers in your mouth similar to a burnt sugar flavor. This would go well with Korean BBQ. The smoke isn't overwhelming and adds to the complex, unusually dry flavor profile. This porter goes from sweet to bitter the longer it stays in your mouth.

M: Not much head. Light carbonation.

O:This is a solid porter with complex flavor. A really solid brew from Stone. Can't go wrong with it.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.