Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark Black with almost no head

S: Rich Malty with the smell of 60% Cacao

T: Strong chocolate notes, nutty notes come through on the exhale

M: very light carbonation with a little alcohol warmth

D: Strong malt flavor might turn off the average ber drinker but very pleasant.

rmasen, Dec 09, 2008

Dunkelmeister, Jul 14, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

I was very excited to try this beer after a local brewery had a smoked IPA... I wanted more smoke! I love Stone so I figured this would be a good place to start...

Appearance is dark... basicly black juice.
Smell is chocolate/coffee/roast
I'm working on a bomber now, and at first I had maybe half a finger of head in my sniffer glass. But on my thrid (and final) pour I have zero head. My beer honestly looks like a glass of ink. Also, zero lacing. The head bubbled out like a glass of diet coke.

Taste is a let down, I was expecting smoke.. I got zero smoke. Maybe my taste buds suck, but I'm being honest here, I didn't taste smoke! Ok maybe a little.. if I imagine it.
Other then that its a pretty mild porter. Chocolate/coffee with a mix roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is blah, not smooth, not rough. The roast sticks around on the tongue like you'd expect from a porter or stout.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer.. Its a good solid porter, and nothing more. But sadly my expectations were let down. I was expecting a "Big beer" from stone, with lots of smoke. I want an imperial smoked porter that tastes like i'm eating some smoked ham!
Prost!

Adyac, Jul 26, 2014
3.52/5  rDev -12.2%

Monty__802, Aug 23, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, tan head quickly subsides to about 1/4" of foam that leaves a moderate amount of lacing on the glass. The beer is dark, almost black, but shows through ruby-red when held up to the light.

This beer started off almost refrigerator-cold, and the initial aroma was almost non-existent. As it warmed, the smell remained subtle, but hinted toward chocolate and espresso. I'd almost say that the aroma (delicate) was wildly inconsistent with the flavor (very, very big).

At first taste, while still quite cold, I was absolutely blown away by the sweetness. With strong chocolate and cherry flavors, I would almost characterize this beer as tasting like Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke when cold. As it warmed, flavors shifted more toward the chocolate and dark coffee end. Hop flavor was more prominent as it warmed up, and throughout, the mouthfeel was smooth and thick.

Throughout the tasting, whether cold or warmer, the beer retained a strong smoky flavor that shared the powerful finish with a wallop of hop bitterness. This beer sticks with you long after the sip, bitter as all get-out.

Overall, a well-balanced, solid beer, whose initial over-sweetness was tempered first by the smokey flavor and then by the hops. A long, bitter finish, though, hurt the drinkability: I would never consider this a "session" beer.

uncleozzy, Apr 01, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

This is a great porter. but it's not smoky. at all. other than the misleading label, this is an outstanding beverage.
If you are looking for something smoky, something with serious rauch appeal, grab a a rogue smoke ale, or an alaskan smoked porter, but not this.
Pours almost black, a tinge of amber can be seen around the edges when holding it to the light, lets you know it's not quite a stout.
the smell is fantastic, chocolately, grains, caramel. almost some smoke hiding in there somewhere.
It tastes just like it smells, rich and velvetey.
also, a buck or two cheaper than most stone beers, so a great bargain.

apwilla, Dec 16, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Nice thick, tan head. Dark and clear. Slightly reddish tone.

S - Malty, hoppy, slightly citrus, with some chocolate at the end.

T - Smoky, malty, roasted flavor. Coffee and slight chocolate.

M - Slightly thin, not much carbonation. Quite nice.

D - Great beer. Slightly sweet with not too much bite and good depth. Excellence balance and overall characteristics.

bstewyb, Jun 12, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Deep mahogany pour, thin quickly dissipating head. A nice inhale on lift as if slightly upwind of a campfire. Some caramel in the moment. Afterwards, retention of the original scent on the back of the throat, a kind of essence found dissipating in the embers of the morning, the fire remembered. Light on the hops throughout the experience, bringing smoke to the forefront in aroma and aftertaste. Well brewed.

- Bomber pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass -

Doctuh, Apr 14, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Very dark brown, but clear enough that a little light gets through the glass. Head is thick and with a tan color.
Smell: roasted malt with a little chocolate. The smoke is there but not overpowering.
Taste: Again roasted malt primarily. The smokiness appears late and lingers on the tongue.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied.
Drinkability: A well-balanced very drinkable stout. Not the best I've had, but certainly one that I always enjoy drinking.

jrnold, Jun 07, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: It poured a very dark brownish/black color that some reddish tints when held up to the light. A nice dark tan head formed and left a lace of foam on the glass.

Smell: As soon as I poured it into the glass, I could smell the smoked malt. That pretty much drowned everything else out and that was all I could smell. I might have served this beer a little too cold which would mask some of the flavors. I'll have to revisit this one.

Taste: The smoked malt was the most prevelant and obvious flavor given the name of the beer. I though Stone did a good job of still have the "regular" malt flavor come through and mix with the smoked, but the smoked flavor overpowered anything else.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was the first thing that I noticed. It was very smooth and didn't overpower like i was expecting after the first sip. It was gone as quick as it came in.

Drinkability: Overall, I think this is a good beer. Something I'll probably keep in my fridge, but possibly in small quantities. The smoked flavor started to bother me a little towards the end of the beer. I think I could enjoy one or two of these in a session and then have to move on. I started to think about an odd analogy for this...so here it is...but i warned you, it's odd. It's like when you meet this hot girl who smokes. The sex will probably be great, but she'll taste like an ashtray...I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Hey....at least you got laid!! :-)

Faulconerbrewing, Feb 22, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

22 oz. bottle

Appearance- Pours dark brown/black with very thin cream colored foam.

Smell- Chocolate malt comes through well with smoke background.

Taste- Heavy to medium malt flavor with good chocolate notes and just enough smoke that is not overpowering. Nice subtle bitter hop bite at the end of the swallow.

Mouthfeel- The malt richness creates a smooth and creamy that is not too thick.

Drinkability- Good beer with the right amount of smoky flavor that isn't overwhelming.

HopTroll, Mar 11, 2009

A - Pours a deep brown with a creamy tan head.

S - A hint of smoke and cocoa.

T - The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of smoke that lingers through the finish.

M - This is very smooth tasting porter, not too busy, but VERY satisfying.

D - Very easy drinking, which to me means I could drink several of these during a night. I enjoyed my last bottle while enjoying some baby back ribs, which I highly recommend.

recons54, May 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer is very interesting, to say the least. It pours a beautiful deep dark brown with a magnificent head. After a few minutes the head retention died off, leaving a fine lacing. The smell is of robust roasty malts and feint chocolate; somewhat stout-like I'd say. The first sip was shocking, the smoked peet dominates. After a few more sips the peet mellowed and the beer became more drinkable. A much hyped and yet enjoyable porter, unique and extravagant.

GregoryShmegory, Sep 25, 2009

ClearGrit, Feb 02, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

I had a taster of this after a tour of the brewery. This beer is pretty decent, though it pales in comparison to Alaskan's Smoked Porter, which I happened to have had the night before.

It looks like most any porter, though notably - like all of Stone's beers - crystal clear. It feels more watery than I'd like my Porter, however.

The smoked character is the standout of both the taste and aroma, but it has a ham-like quality that I try to avoid in smoked beers. I would have used a similar amount of a more well-rounded smoked malt. More smoke, less meat.

MatthewPatthew, Dec 28, 2010

ivegotsaxappeal, Jun 19, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +6%

zombiepickle, Jul 27, 2012

rlphilli, Jul 29, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very deep brown, almost opaque, with about an inch of tan head. Head receded to some nice lacing around my glass.
Aroma is of roasted malts and sweeter notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Also maybe some fruits. Wonderful bouquet, made me very anxious to take my first gulp.
The taste is very big, and huge flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a well-balanced kick of hops and smoke in the end.
Mouthfeel is very rich and smooth
I enjoyed this bottle entirely to the end but the heaviness and being paired with my supper would make it hard to drink a whole lot more.

Stone did a great job here to create a big porter, Great, will buy again

OhioBulldog, Aug 22, 2004
Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.