Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPAAleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Rollzroyce21 on 03-20-2013

Jim Moorehouse, Nate Albrecht and Brad Zeller, three pals planning to open a Chicago brewpub under the moniker of Aleman, won first place at last year's Iron Brew homebrewing competition in the Windy City (judged by none other than Greg Koch, Jason Ebel of Two Brothers Brewing, and celebrated Chicago brewer, designer and author Randy Mosher). Their style-bending IPA artfully married the assertive tropical bite of Citra hops with amazing coffee flavor and aromatics to create something truly unique and exceptional.

Serendipitously, Two Brothers recently kicked off a new adventure roasting their own coffee beans, and provided just-in-time freshly roasted java for the brew. The result is an innovative IPA that's well balanced and intensely flavored thanks to the felicitous blend of hops and fresh roasted coffee.

Ratings: 783 | Reviews: 157
Reviews by Franziskaner:
3.34/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a copper penny brown in color. Brilliant clarity. Moderate to light head retention. The nose is intently coffee. Auberges just a bit of hops. The mouthfeel is substantial, but not overwhelming. This is a coffee dominated beer with some serious hop flavoring. I'msure there is some hop flavoring, but this is definitely a hop forward beer.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Clear orangy brown with a light head. A bit darker than I thought it was going to pour.

S: Smells like I thought it would. Brown sugar with hits of coffee wrapped up in the classic IPA hoppy smell.

T: Unbelievably well done. Tastes like your normal Stone IPA. Super hoppy. As the beer passes, you begin getting the coffee. I did not think this combo would work out well, but damn these guys nailed it. It wasn't that artificial coffee taste that people who don't drink coffee imagine coffee to taste like, but it was legitimate aroma and tast of a solid cup of joe. I got the majority of the taste on the exhale. It was awesome.

M: Fresh fresh fresh and well hopped. Medium carbonation. Alc is covered well.

O: GET THIS. It was amazing. If I could find more bottles (or buy more than 1 per customer) I would buy cases and cases.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My computer died half way through my previous review, so this one will be abridged. Great coppery amber color. Aroma is fairly floral and hoppy, but I mostly get the coffee, this is a good thing. The taste is wonderful, a bit under hopped, but I love the use of malt, and it couples really well with the coffee. The mouthfeel is a not like a typical IPA, a touch less carbonation. Anywho, this beer is delightfully surprising.

3.84/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber bottle purchased at Peekskill Beer and soda, Peekskill, NY. I looked but can't find any bottling date or best before info.

Pours near clear, darker almond amber, moderate lite tan head. Going to a fine film, minor coalr and again minor strands of lacing.

Cafe au lait on the nose, with some leafy hops.

Interesting IPA variation. Not sure how many coffee IPAs I've had the pleasure of trying, if any. Notes of more mellow coffee, trying to mesh with the underlying hoppyness and malts. Not sure if this one gets to the level of actually "meshing". Things sort of all over the place.

Not my favorite Stone collaboration

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle (2013)

Dark amber with a large light-tan head of big-bubbled foam. Leaves a messy glass behind.

A true combination of bright citrus hop components (grapefruit and mango) with expressive, freshly roasted coffee beans. Interesting, and both elements really shine through nicely.

The flavor, again, is a combination of citrus fruits, bitterness, and roasted coffee beans. It's a strange combination. Some sips seems more hop-forward, while others seem dramatically coffee dominant. Interesting, though the combination isn't a very thirst quenching one. I'd knock this for drinkability, whatever that means.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

The idea or theory behind this beer is fully realized. Whether it's actually all that good or drinkable is for the individual drink to discover on their own. I wouldn't take down a whole bottle of this.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A nice golden color, thin 1/3" head, offwhite, doesn't have much retention or lacing. Anytime you hear coffee I think I'm about to get into something brown or black, but no. Aroma was amazing coffee. Top notch stuff, smooth, yet pungent, deep, rich. Hops were a little behind the coffee in the aroma.

Somehow, the taste, is able to capture the coffee flavors and hit you with the Stone hop assault at the same time. What I found to be utterly amazing, is the mouthfeel here, how you can have lots of hops, lots of coffee, but really the beer comes off as more of a flavor experience than a bitter experience. You still get pine from the hops and plenty of coffee, without any astringency going on.

Carbonation was spot on. Hid the alcohol amazingly well. Just fantastic. My favorite IPA that Stone makes. Which means its better than 98% of everyone else's ipas too.

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hmmm, interesting idea. I was not sure how well coffee and intense hops would mix, and after trying this mix I'm still not sure. As expected given the involvement of Stone, there was no reduction in the strong hop aromatics and flavor, and I had the distinct impression that the IPA 'base' was excellent. I had two reservations about the coffee contribution, however. First, the coffee component smelled, and to a lesser extent, tasted too much like used coffee grinds, despite the use of "fresh roasted coffee". Second, and perhaps due to the particular hop and bean mix, the coffee did not blend with the other flavors or aromas as well as it does in many porters and stouts.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dayman is a coppery dark orange color somewhere between clear and opaque. On top, a creamy tan head develops that never grows especially high but has excellent retention. A still-creamy heavy head of foam never dies off, and it leaves plenty of leggy and mostly patchy lacing to nearly the bottom. The appearance, at least, is essentially that of an IPA.
The nose, though, brings both coffee and hops equally yet separately to the forefront. It just focuses so much on each, so clearly, and yet so distinctly, as to defy explanation. The hops give off fresh bitterness of light pine, grass, and a bit of a perfume note. The coffee is more fresh grounds than pressed, and without the roastier notes of espresso.
The taste is almost exactly identical. Some of the complexity doesn't come off as precisely as it did in the aroma, but again it's impressively put together, with both coffee and hops being present yet distinct.
Crispness is soft but nips from beginning to finish, and there's a soft creaminess in the feel as well. The body is medium, leaning light, and there's a slight dryness underneath.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a bomber courtesy of Gabor the Penn Station Beer man into a tulip.

A: Rich copper with a fair amount of clarity and a scuddy eggshell head. Nice coloring, but maybe the pour was not robust enough.

S: Fresh coffee dominates the nose. Much more that I would have anticipated. Citric hopping in the back. Rich and enticing, and unusual.

T: Creamy and flavorful, the nose is a good proxy for the taste. Coffee mixes with a bit of ashtray and settles into an astringent hop bitterness. Refreshing and somewhat more bitter than I would have imagined, although I really didn't know what to expect. Enjoying this.

M: Medium bodied with a bit of cream feel in the fore. Astringent and drying at the back end.

A: Solid, worthy collaboration. Get ye some.

3.56/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a bright blood orange - darker than the average IPA. Great foamy white head - fantastic creamy lacing and retention.

S: Cold coffee dominates the citrus/pine hops. Not a very roasted or robust coffee aroma, but still overwhelms. Needs more hops.

T: Who put coffee in my IPA? The coffee is not very rich, but stale and has a dampening affect on the juiciness of the ale.

P: A bit under-carbonated. Medium body.

O: Not a fan, glad I tried it though. The coffee added nothing, only took away from what was probably a great base juicy IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Not my cup of tea...or coffee I guess.
This is probably my least favorite from Stone. I can see why other like enjoy it though. To be honest I'm not huge on many of Stone's IPAs. They carry too much floral tones for me. I do really enjoy their Porters and Stouts though.

This pours like an IPA. It looks like an IPA just a tint darker. The smell of hops and coffee are there. You get the coffee taste and the hops. Like I said, I hate to even rate this one as I can see why others go crazy over it, just not for me.

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

Red copper color, finely foamy head with some large bubbly bubbles, and an aroma that's all sorts of interesting. Big roasted coffee musk at the front with oranges and lemons all over. I'm not sure how this combination works but it works surprisingly well. With the coffee musk and juicy citrus there's some herbal, floral, and earthy scents and flavors, plus apricots, peaches, and perhaps cantaloupe. I'm surprised how simple this beer seems and how the coffee is actually working cohesively with the hops.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of the best coffee beers I have had, well integrated. Would like more IPA bitterness, still nicely done for what it is. A lighter coloured beer, with a lasting head. Coffee aroma surpasses the hop aroma. Above average mouthfeel. Good drinkability

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to jtd1969 for sharing this one

A - amber with a thin, off white head

S - coffee beans, citrusy hop aroma

T - coffee, citrus, woody, earthy

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This was really intriguing. I admit I had my doubts going in. I was really impressed. The coffee beans surprisingly work well with the citrusy hop character. The beer is coffee heavy but has all of the true-to-style IPA hop notes. This is definitely a beer I'm glad I tried.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dayman Coffee IPA is amber in color. It’s crystal clear. Backlighting reveals some scarlet highlights and gives it more of a copper look. An off-white head gathers on the surface and rises to about half a finger in height. It’s very quick to disappear and leaves a very light, spotty web of lace clinging to the glass. Looks alright.

Despite lacking just a little in strength, the nose is good. Very nice citric hop notes are apparent on the first whiff. Grapefruit and mango smell delicious. There is a good bit of caramel malt underneath. It smells a bit sweet, but never hogs the spotlight. Roasted coffee is much more prominent than expected. Honestly, the coffee smells delicious and seems to work nicely with the hops. Alcohol is virtually buried. I’m not getting much at all. That’s a surprise, but a welcome one. Smells good. A bump in strength would go a long, long way.

The flavor is really impressive. Caramel malts provide a nice foundation. They add a sweet caramel flavor, but it’s secondary in the overall scheme of things. That’s a positive. Hops are very flavorful. Citrus grapefruit, mango, and orange flavors are delicious. There’s a slight bitter flavor, but it’s balanced nicely. Coffee is definitely the x-factor in the flavor. It has a rather strong presence and works so well with the malt and hop flavors. It’s like a seamless blend really. If you’re into coffee, you should appreciate this one. Alcohol is a bit more noticeable in flavor. It’s not warm or hot though. Finishes with a mix of hops, coffee, and light sweet caramel. Really good stuff.

The body is medium. It’s nice and smooth. Carbonation is light and soft. This is far too easy to drink. The bomber’s disappearing very quickly.

Dayman Coffee IPA is an excellent collaborative effort. Who knew a coffee IPA could be this good? I’ve had one prior experience with such a beer, and the results were so-so. Not the case here. This is excellent. I applaud the bold decision to strong with the coffee. The results are impressive. Very, very good stuff. Find a bottle.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

650 mL bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance - Burnt orange. Nice white head. Great lacing and good retention.

Smell - Grassy hops. Lots of coffee. Vanilla. The coffee blends surprisingly well.

Taste - Coffee is stronger here. The hops are still of the grassy persuasion, but the coffee flavor tempers it. Nice malt. Slight astringency. Bitter finish from the hops, not the coffee.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and just a bit bitter. Medium body.

Overall - I like this combination. The coffee lends the IPA flavors a nice smooth and cream feel.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours copper with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Nice head retention & lacing

S: Coffee, biscuitty malt & grapefruit, plus pine

T: Coffee grinds, pine, grapefruit up front. Woody hops, dryness & more coffee as this warms, much grapefruit as well as this warms. Dry with much coffee & grapefruit in the finish

MF: Medium bodied, dry, subtle carbonation, good balance

Coffee IPA doesn't make me think"match made in heaven". This has a good flavor profile, but give me a coffee stout or a hop bomb, mixing them together doesn't float my boat all the way to the promised land. This is about as good as a coffee IPA is gonna get, no need to plow this field again:P

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had it on-tap at Two Brothers Tap House in Warrenville, IL

I had to drag my dad to try it because he usually hates coffee beers, but I knew it was a limited edition beer so I wanted to try it and I persuaded him to come with. Man, am I glad we tried it! My dad hates coffee beers and he LOVED this beer, and so did I.

They used actual coffee beans and it has coffee in the name, so I was expecting a huge onslaught of coffee and roasted malts. Nope. I mainly detected a hop presence. It tasted like an IPA, but a little different. The coffee beans changed the taste, for the better. It had a very unique taste to it, tough to describe. It was very good. I highly recommend people try this beer.

Warning: This review is coming from a guy who loves IPAs and detests strong coffee flavor in beer. If you love coffee stouts and dislike hops, you may not like this. But still try it because you never know if you will like it.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear amber color with great cascading lacing down to the last sip.

Smells of tropical and citrus, specifically mango and orange. Light notes of coffee with a touch of honey.

To be honest, I was expecting somewhat of a mess with the coffee and citra, but it works well. The coffee is subtle and adds an earthy and berry note to the otherwise dominant orange and mango.

The mouthfeel is smooth with ample carbonation. I feel like the coffee may have added an effect similar to oats in a stout because this is very soft for the style.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. I was somewhat hesitant coming into it but it turned out great. It's one of my favorite collaboration beers Stone has made thus far.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz into a Duvel tulip glass.

Pours a crystal clear bright, bold, orange/amber with a thin off white head that recedes to the sides of the glass leaving a nice bit of lacing. Really beautiful looking beer.

Smell is brewed coffee right up front and its good coffee at that. You can smell it the instant its poured. After a good whiff you get a lot of the dank, tropical citra hops--- and they meld INCREDIBLY well with the coffee! Pineapple, mango, sweet orange, all the flavors you'd expect from a citra heavy IPA and its balanced and tied to the coffee flavor with some very nice caramel malt and maybe just a hint(?) of sweet vanilla. Delicious smelling beer!

Taste again is coffee upfront but not as dominant as it was in the nose. Also up front: some typical Stone bracing hop bitterness which is amplified a bit from the bitterness of the coffee, but it recedes into a sweetness from the malt while retaining great hop flavors. Some caramelly, bready malt in the background which really goes along way to keep it from being TOO hoppy. A little bit of astringency that actually works and a bitter finish that lingers as sort of green flavors on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy, kept light and refreshing by a good dose of carbonation. Bubbles are delicate but prevalent and a very good fit for this beer. Pretty light on the tongue considering the alcohol. Great drinkability.

Overall I was pretty much floored by this beer. When I first heard about it, it struck me as mostly gimmick. I didn't think coffee could do anything but clash with an IPA, but I was completely wrong. Both the coffee and the hops play off each other extremely well so much so that they come together to create something greater than the sum of the parts. I finished an entire bomber of the stuff of the course of an hour and a half and I'm already wishing I had more. Truly an excellent beer and kudos to the teams at Aleman, Stone, and Two Brothers for bringing this beer to market.

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: dark orange to amber in color, almost no head.
S: Coffee all the way with some slight hops
T- Hoppy with some great coffee aftertaste, I could drink this daily
M: watery, you cant tell its almost ist 9%.
O: Great beer, hope it becomes a regular production for stone!

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rusty cognac coloring the head was light and fleeting.

The scent is quite strong, almost an odor. Very earthy scents with a kitty litter, wet dog aroma. This sounds disgusting but it melds pleasantly with a coffee scent. Amongst the most aromatic of beers.

The taste is nuanced and diverse with rich meaty tones, leather, earth, leaves and coffee. Roasted malt and burnt or char is found but distant near the roof of the mouth. This is a very interesting beer with so many elements/diversities that it has to rank high.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz. poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A pretty nice clear amber that yellows depending on the light source, like if you hold it up to the light. It isn't completely clear, but not very cloudy or hazy. Minimal half a finger head that diminishes to nothing but leaves a decent lacing.

S: There is a very nice melding of hops and coffee, which I would expect from a Stone IPA. Take a regular stone IPA (or even Ruination) and then add a faint whiff of coffee that melds and blends to it, but doesn't hurt the hop scent, merely aids and enhances it. Sometimes you get more of a good high-quality coffee blend that you brewed yourself and know is good, and sometimes you get a more hop forward scent with a lingering coffee scent. It smells like freshly ground coffee, or a just opened barrel of ungrinded beans. This is a new smell for me that is quite unique.

T: This is a surprisingly hoppy IPA with only 42 IBUs, but that isn't surprising coming from Stone's masterful abilities when it comes to hops. It is mainly piney resin notes, that meld well with and balance with the fresh black coffee taste. There is a hint of citrus right in the center before you swallow. The aftertaste is like that of a strong black coffee, but with a hint of hops that is quite nice. As it warms, it seems that the coffee subsides a bit.

M: It has a nice mix of smoothness and crispness, that comes standard with their IPAs. The crispness from the light carbonation stands out but it really aerates and conveys the coffee taste.

O: I think this will be a love or hate it IPA, but it seems the lovers are winning out. A lot of people like hops and coffee, and this combines them masterfully. I am not a big fan of black coffee, but this is still a good IPA at its core. Also, I realize that this is an excellent representative for its style (which is quite new), but I again I am not a big coffee man (tea is more my thing). They have breakfast stouts, and I would say this is a breakfast IPA, you might even skip the coffee or add some to it. Through the bomber it has grown on me more.

p.s. This is definitely my longest review to date. I guess Stone's lengthy bottle writings are wearing off on me when I review them.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Congrats to local brewers Aleman for winning Iron Brew, and brewing this beer!

All coffee and even some slight chocolate in the aroma. Amber orange body, bright clarity, layer of creamy foam on the surface that has a parchment hue to it. Flavors are big on coffee, the IPA seems like more of a coffee delivery vehicle. Soft and bitter with some pale malt sweetness buried in there, some light citrus peel accents. Firmly bitter aftertaste, seamlessly blended and very smooth across the palate. Overall a winner, a creative beer that makes me excited to see what Aleman brews next.

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Collaboration

Stone / Aleman / Two Brothers Dayman IPA: coffee IPA; Smell: strong coffee smell; Taste/Mouthfeel: medium coffee taste, well balanced by hops; decent/pretty

Sample size portion poured into plastic cup.

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA from Stone Brewing Co.