Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPAAleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Rollzroyce21 on 03-20-2013

Jim Moorehouse, Nate Albrecht and Brad Zeller, three pals planning to open a Chicago brewpub under the moniker of Aleman, won first place at last year's Iron Brew homebrewing competition in the Windy City (judged by none other than Greg Koch, Jason Ebel of Two Brothers Brewing, and celebrated Chicago brewer, designer and author Randy Mosher). Their style-bending IPA artfully married the assertive tropical bite of Citra hops with amazing coffee flavor and aromatics to create something truly unique and exceptional.

Serendipitously, Two Brothers recently kicked off a new adventure roasting their own coffee beans, and provided just-in-time freshly roasted java for the brew. The result is an innovative IPA that's well balanced and intensely flavored thanks to the felicitous blend of hops and fresh roasted coffee.

2.43/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stone branded pairing glass (short stemmed goblet)

Pours a light amber with golden and orange highlights capped by a one finger slightly off-white head. Decent retention, a bit of lacing here and there. Roasted coffee clashes with grapefruit and pineapple on the nose. The nose is completely unappealing. Unfortunately, the taste follows suit. Fairly strong roasted coffee clashes with pineapple, tangerine, and subtely bitter grapefruit rind. Lighter side of medium body, slick with some silkiness. I'm not sure what the breweries that collaborated on this brew were trying to accomplish, however this brew is nothing short of disjointed mess. For anyone wondering what the result of pouring cold, stale coffee into a citra-centered IPA would taste like, Dayman provides the answer. This brew is a perfect example of the overuse of coffee by American craft brewers that is now reaching ridiculous levels.

2.51/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I'm not sure if I like this beer or not. I feel like the coffee is more like an annoyance because I don't think it fits at all in this brew. Everything's good except for taste and mouthfeel. I tasted nice grapefruit citrus bomb in the beginning and out of nowhere, the coffee kicks in and it was unpleasant. I thought it was a great idea though, but I think Stone didn't hit it this time with the dayman. I know some people like it, but I'm not one of those.

2.77/5  rDev -33.3%

I was super stoked to try this, two of my favorite things, coffee and ipas in one bottle from my favorite breweries. But I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of this. It is presented as advertised: with tons of hops and coffee, but they just don't go well together in my opinion. Bitter plus bitter equals really bitter. I like the smell, kinda peppery coffee. Smooth and a quality beer, but just not my combo of flavors. I do appreciate their attempt at something new.

2.78/5  rDev -33%

Got this one from Doodler in a recent box. Cheers man!

From a bomber into a snifter
IPA brewed and flavored with coffee

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium-looser, off white head with decent retention. Fades to a slight wisp and bubbly ring. Burnt orange in color with medium levels of carbonation. Larger bubbles. Splotchy wisp remains leaving some streaks of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Mostly roasted coffee grinds and sweet cream, with very little of the traditional IPA stuff on the nose. Milder as well.

TASTE: Like the nose, this one has more of the coffee in there and very little of the IPA stuff we all know and love. Some roasted coffee beans and sweet cream up front, then more coffee grinds, cream, some floral hops and some bitterness lingering after the swallow. Aftertaste is mild but pleasant. Interesting I guess, but somewhat one dimensional.

PALATE: Good IPA feel here. Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Good stuff here. Stone always delivers in the department.

OVERALL: For some reason, I don't think this turned out exactly how they wanted it to. The coffee addition seems to have masked the traditional IPA flavors and aromas, making this a beer that doesn't exactly know what it's doing. Reminds me of tourist drivers here in Europe. Yes, the rules are very different. Anyways, this is a fun idea, but I don't think this is a style that deserves much attention. I'll finish it without issue, but this really is one only for the curious.

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a copper penny brown in color. Brilliant clarity. Moderate to light head retention. The nose is intently coffee. Auberges just a bit of hops. The mouthfeel is substantial, but not overwhelming. This is a coffee dominated beer with some serious hop flavoring. I'msure there is some hop flavoring, but this is definitely a hop forward beer.

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Durty Nellie's.

Surprised to find this on tap so soon, but I'm not gonna argue (especially considering it looks as though I missed the bottles...). Regardless, this stuff pours a clear sunrise amber topped by a finger of cream foam. The nose comprises grass, light buttery biscuit, light grapefruit zest, and a twinge of coffee beans. The taste generally brings in more of the same, but the coffee and the grass don't play nicely together, producing a strange bitterness that just doesn't come across as appealing to me. There's also a vague creaminess, verging on cheesiness, that puts me off even further. Luckily, this latter sensation is decidedly slight, so it doesn't ruin things all that much. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a decent little beer, but one that doesn't seem to me to fully mesh the hops with the coffee as well as others have.

3.41/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Stone / Aleman / Two Brothers Dayman IPA: coffee IPA; Smell: strong coffee smell; Taste/Mouthfeel: medium coffee taste, well balanced by hops; decent/pretty

Sample size portion poured into plastic cup.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Amber with good head retention

S - Very coffee forward. Dark roast. Hardly any IPA characteristics on the nose

T - Follows the smell. Not picking up a lot of IPA in this one. Again, mostly dark roast coffee biterness.

M - Dry finish. Decent carbonation.

O- Not the best Stone collaboration, but worthy of trying. I get all dark roast coffee out of this one. Would be good for an after dinner drink.

3.52/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Review is from notes.

Slight chill haze through a deep amber-colored body. Good clarity otherwise though, with active carbonation supporting a peach-colored foam on top that has a soft texture and good retention. Decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is strong but not overbearing. Predominantly fresh coffee beans, but also shows of some interesting citrus notes. The coffee and the hops play nice and intermingle without really competing, however its clearly leaning towards the coffee.

Bitterness is a bit stronger than I expected but knowing this is Stone, I should have figured it would be real bitter. Smooth full body. Excellent carbonation that plays the hops well. Green coffee flavors are up front on the palette but quickly allow the hops to take the stage with a bright fruit character in the mid-palette and finish. In my opinion, the coffee clouds the hop flavor (Citra hops) but doesn't overpower them completely.

It's a strong beer. It's unique. It is paving the way for better beers. I am glad I tried this, but I will not buy again because it was not worth the money. It just isn't offering anything that great. I am somewhat let down, since there was a lot to expect from this, but no worries because I know Stone doesn't give a shit.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a bright blood orange - darker than the average IPA. Great foamy white head - fantastic creamy lacing and retention.

S: Cold coffee dominates the citrus/pine hops. Not a very roasted or robust coffee aroma, but still overwhelms. Needs more hops.

T: Who put coffee in my IPA? The coffee is not very rich, but stale and has a dampening affect on the juiciness of the ale.

P: A bit under-carbonated. Medium body.

O: Not a fan, glad I tried it though. The coffee added nothing, only took away from what was probably a great base juicy IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, medium amber color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Coffee and hops make for a confused aroma. Each quality is rather honest when considered alone, although the coffee flagrantly clashes with mixed-citrus. Of the two, coffee casts the more resonant note as whole roasted beans, edging out the predictable West Coast hops qualities. There is a detectable third layer of intermediately refined crystal malt which influences the color. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with coffee syrup that complements well the pale malt, and subtle herbaceous hops aromatics. Flavors begin to dry out into the middle as coffee is gradually exchanged for grapefruit-centered citrus that is slow to ripen on the palate. The finish includes an interesting combination of green and brown bittering elements. Aromatic grapefruit citrus flavors finally are fully realized late, lingering on the palate beyond the reach of the coffee. No alcohol is detected.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly syrupy and resinous--but slick overall--on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Gloriously experimental, this beer has the fingerprints of Two Brothers all over it. In the case of the coffee, that is good news; the same cannot be said of the safe, predictable, and too-dark IPA base. The coffee qualities encountered here are so honest and appealing, channeling the same greatness as their coffee-brewed strong porter that was a retro release in 2012. Two Brothers IPAs are an understated lot: from the oak-aged Resistance which could fairly be described as nuanced, to the very mediocre Outlaw, the incarnations of the style contributed by the suburban Chicago brewpub are rarely noteworthy. Such is the case here, although the combination of coffee and hops is finally found to be in good company by the arrival of the easy finish. One could argue that the Two Brothers-style of IPA is the perfect choice to accompany the well-considered appeal of a Two Brothers coffee beer.

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: A deep golden yellow body with a brown tinged one and a half finger white head.

S: Coffee dominates the aroma. There are subtle citrus and pine aromas on the back end. Not much malt present.

T: Very interesting, unfortunately this beer is not for me. There is a simultaneous bitter hop and deep coffee flavor in the front and it is very strange. There is some caramel malt on the finish.

M: Great body and perfect carbonation.

O: Good beer, but I would not get it again. The got what they wanted out of this beer but I just disagree with the style choice.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 1st March 2013. I picked this up at Belmont Station today.8.7% ABV? Why?

A surprisingly dark red/amber, this beer is capped with a dense, off-white head with excellent retention and nice lacing . The nose has a lot of coffee, a lot more than I was expecting, with the hop character playing second fiddle. Grassy, fruity Citra hops are clear, with some pineapple. The combination of hops and coffee actually works! The coffee character brings to mind hot, steeped coffee grounds. No malt character is noticeable here.

The palate opens with a blend of coffee and fruity hops. I can't think of a better way of making a coffee IPA, but good lord, it does trigger my gag reflex. Once I suppress it, and if I put my mind to it, I can alternate between the hop character (mango, tropical fruit, citrus) and coffee. Bitterness is mild here, but the coffee does make the sweetness a lot more perceptible. The mid-palate has some malt character - a little more caramel malt than most other Stone IPAs, along with some honey. Alcohol is reasonably well-hidden. While the hop flavors are initially more assertive, the more I drink, the more tastes like someone dumped fruit juice in my cold coffee and then spiked it with vodka. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is decent. Incredibly unique, but not something I'd reach out for again.

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

Consumed 3/29/13

Thanks to Goblinmunkey7 for letting me know this was available at Craft Beer Cellar. Despite buying it absurdly fresh, I sat on it for almost a week because I have grown paranoid of coffee beers screwing up my ability to sleep.

Appearance: Clear, medium amber with an emphasis on copper - some gold around the edges - pours with a very minimal, off-white head - fades to a virtually nonexistent head, but it's pretty easy to drum up some carbonation - leaves a few spots of lacing

Smell: Tropical citrus and coffee beans - the citra should be quite obvious (and charming) to anyone that has smelled it in the past - coffee is a bit unusual, smells like roasted beans, kind of like chocolate covered espresso beans (without the sweet chocolate) - roasty, dark chocolate, and nuts - tropical orange and grapefruit - very strange, kind of works, but the smells kind of clash

Taste: Perhaps even weirder than the aroma - tropical, floral citrus - sweet tangerines, orange flesh, and ruby red grapefruit - fresh, fruity flavors somewhat meld with the coffee, but also clash - I'm honestly not sure if it's interacting with the bitterness from the hops, but the coffee flavor is oddly acrid and astringent, not unlike biting into a coffee bean, complete with tannins - nutty, almost akin to hazelnuts - some citrus bitterness and piney notes round out the bitterness - simultaneously good and not good

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth, nicely carbonated, finishes a bit oily but otherwise clean

Overall: Excuse me waiter, there's coffee in my IPA

I must admit I am a little disappointed. I love IPAs, I love citra, and I love coffee. I even love combining random leftovers to create snacks that could be considered abominations by some (corn and diced tomatoes covered in hot sauce, mmm). So why don't I love this beer? The flavor profile just doesn't work for me. Something about the combination of fresh citrus and roasty coffee utterly baffles my palate and my brain. I'm honestly surprised that this doesn't have polarized reviews.

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours far hazier than it looks in the bottle. Thinner, white head. Long sheets of lacing. The body is tarnished orange.

S-A mixture of dank citrus pith and coffee. The nose really displays both in a very interesting manner. The coffee is chipper and vibrant, then the heavy hoppy notes roll in.

T-The coffee bombards my taste buds. I dare say its more powerful than the hops. Then the brutish, heavy hoppiness stomps all over the palate. A mixture of hoppy thunder and coffee lightning. I'm not sure if they really taste great together though.

M-Full bodied and bitter. Very dense on the palate. A sipper.

O/D-They did it well but I don't love the combo here. They just don't work together in my opinion. The craftsmanship is blatantly obvious but it isn't pleasurable in my book.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Not my cup of tea...or coffee I guess.
This is probably my least favorite from Stone. I can see why other like enjoy it though. To be honest I'm not huge on many of Stone's IPAs. They carry too much floral tones for me. I do really enjoy their Porters and Stouts though.

This pours like an IPA. It looks like an IPA just a tint darker. The smell of hops and coffee are there. You get the coffee taste and the hops. Like I said, I hate to even rate this one as I can see why others go crazy over it, just not for me.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle (2013)

Dark amber with a large light-tan head of big-bubbled foam. Leaves a messy glass behind.

A true combination of bright citrus hop components (grapefruit and mango) with expressive, freshly roasted coffee beans. Interesting, and both elements really shine through nicely.

The flavor, again, is a combination of citrus fruits, bitterness, and roasted coffee beans. It's a strange combination. Some sips seems more hop-forward, while others seem dramatically coffee dominant. Interesting, though the combination isn't a very thirst quenching one. I'd knock this for drinkability, whatever that means.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

The idea or theory behind this beer is fully realized. Whether it's actually all that good or drinkable is for the individual drink to discover on their own. I wouldn't take down a whole bottle of this.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured on tap into a small snifter at Churchkey DC. From notes.

A gorgeous clear golden orange amber, super clarity presented with a good ring of simple white lacing and collar.

Nose has classic citrus hop west coast orange flavor, light brown sugars. Strangely I get next to nothing for a sesnse of coffee on this, maybe some oily bean but hardly anything.

Palate has mellow citrus hop, with a little tinge of seltzery carbonation. Maybe some oily bean squeaks out but there is really hardly any coffee presence on the palate at all. Somewhat juicy but also a bit wet on the palate also, but it does hold the existing flavors well.

Overall this is just like a regular milder Stone brew, and there's nothing really impressive about this to me, particularly that there is virtually no coffee on it at all, so I have to score it low overall.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Red-amber in color. Good clarity. One inch of eggshell-white head settles after a short time. Thin scraggly rings of lacing and a few scattered spots are all that remain in its wake.

S: Tangerine, orange marmalade, lemon peel, hop oils. Fresh coffee beans. Biscuity malt is hard to pick out beneath all the hops and coffee. The coffee and the hops vie for attention rather than melding together. They remain two distinct entities, and only one or the other comes through at a time.

T: Oily and citrusy up front. Tangerine, lemon peel, marmalade, slight herb. Pine resin, ganja. Unlike the nose, the fresh coffee tastes do mingle with the hops. Eventually they blanket the citrusy hop tastes and take center stage. Pineapple and tropical ester. As in the nose, the malt base is very hard to pick out beneath the dominance of hop and coffee. Perhaps just a bit of biscuit and toast. Joint finish of coffee and hop as freshly roasted coffee beans and citrus and hemp seed ride it out into the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Creamy. Crisp carbonation. Oily.Warming alcohol. Good.

O: Dayman comes across as a bit too gimmicky for me. It's not a bad beer by any means, but it's frustrating to drink. There's a top-notch IPA in my glass, but the coffee is distracting me and preventing me from enjoying it. The IPA by itself would be delicious, and the coffee would be a fine addition to any beer with a darker malt bill. Together they just feel forced. Square peg in a round hole. Craft beer is all about experimentation and innovation, but let's not jump the shark just yet.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber consumed a Stone Escondido, March 2013.

Pours a hazy, dark golden orange color with tangerine hues and a half finger, white foam head that quickly settles into a thin, lasting ring.  Spotty lacing left behind.

Intersting aroma with nice coffee/gourmet roast, sweet malt and very subtle citrus hop notes.  Lightly roasted coffee been character along with caramel sweetness, toffee and hazelnut.  Coffee and malt overpower the hops in the nose but there's a bit of grapefruit and citrus rind.

On the fuller end of medium body with more of a hop presence than expected.  Still plenty of gourmet roast flavor with hazelnut, toffee, caramel and subtle lactose.  Still, it's dry, resinous and bitter with pine needle and grassy hop flavor.  Faint tropical presence but the coffee dominates.  Decently balanced and easy to drink but could use more citrus/tropical flavor. A lot of these collaborations have been pretty shitty in my opinion but this one is pretty good.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hmmm, interesting idea. I was not sure how well coffee and intense hops would mix, and after trying this mix I'm still not sure. As expected given the involvement of Stone, there was no reduction in the strong hop aromatics and flavor, and I had the distinct impression that the IPA 'base' was excellent. I had two reservations about the coffee contribution, however. First, the coffee component smelled, and to a lesser extent, tasted too much like used coffee grinds, despite the use of "fresh roasted coffee". Second, and perhaps due to the particular hop and bean mix, the coffee did not blend with the other flavors or aromas as well as it does in many porters and stouts.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear light copper, average head retention and great lacing. Caramel and pine aroma, very West Coast IPA, some coffee as it begins to warm. Coffee up front which quickly fades but is present through the finish. White pepper spiciness. Alcohol is noticeable middle to finish. Medium body, leaning toward the sweet side.

Note: I had this on draft at the Stone Brewery a few months earlier. Considerably less alcohol and more coffee in the draft version.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of the best coffee beers I have had, well integrated. Would like more IPA bitterness, still nicely done for what it is. A lighter coloured beer, with a lasting head. Coffee aroma surpasses the hop aroma. Above average mouthfeel. Good drinkability

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle from Belmont Station. Consumed April 18th, reviewed from notes.

A: Copper color with a thick 1/2" brownish-white head. Clean body with drifting carbonation.

N: Both coffee and hops drift up to the nose. Plenty of roast and there's a hint of chocolate. Pineapple and spruce. Malt is running around in the background.

T: Very roasty with those hints of dark chocolate bitterness. Tropical citrus sweetness. It's balanced with some minerality.

M: Chalky, resinouse, with a medium body. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: Different and tasty when you get used to it. I have to applaud the creativity and the balanced, but I'm not sure I'd want to have this again, either.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-nice amber color with an off-white head and decent lacing

S-pine, citrus, earthy, roast coffee, slight floral

T-pine, malt, citrus, roasted coffee, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-not my favorite variation of an IPA, the coffee muddled the IPA flavors for me in a way I just didn't appreciate, unique though

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA from Stone Brewing Co.