2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,470 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

This may be the first beer I have given a 5 all around to. I just had this at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. One word: Amazing!
Great deep copper color. Tastes much different than I expected. Upon the look, it looks like it would be very heavy but it actually isn't. Don't get me wrong,this beer is strong and very bitter and hoppy. It is one of the most perfectly balanced beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I much prefer it alone because food tends to alter the great taste. Brilliant! Perfect!

07-30-2002 07:38:55 | More by Jdiddy
Mick

This is one very good beer. Raw and unleashed. Stone seems to making a splash in the NY area. Had this one on tap at dba recently. Great copper/red tint color. Thin white lace followed-up the quickly dissipating head. Did I mention raw and unleashed! Real hoppy, sound malt presence. A unique beer definitely. I look forward to having this one again as well as trying other Stone products. If you are a fan of strong beers you must add this one to your list of regulars.

Yes, it does earn a five.

03-17-2003 10:46:16 | More by Mick
palliko

I finally got a gallon of this brew this week! A local pizza parlor had my favorite beer on tap, and Oh my Lord. This is so awesome. The color is a deep brown - thick creamy head that lasts - the aroma of pungent grapefruit rind comes just short of overwhelming the senses - you want hops? HOPS in three foot high letters. Alcohol fumes drift up and are overcome by the sweet malt which is in turn over come by a killer dry, bitter aftertaste, redolent of black coffee. This beer has become a local favorite. You gotta try this!!

01-28-2004 04:15:18 | More by palliko
ottobon100

I love "hoppy" beers and this is my number one favorite! No one even comes close. I find it hard to believe Stone Ruination and Stone IPA beat this out on BA review rankings because to me they taste a tad watery in comparison. Don't get me wrong I like those beers but no where near as well as ABA. I think the writing on the bottle says it all.

03-22-2004 19:34:48 | More by ottobon100
dragonofblood

Ontario (Canada)

This is my favourite beer in the world, from my favourite brewery in the world. Hence it gets a perfect rating from me.

Appearance: Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with that arrogant gargoyle leering at me, daring me to drink his beer. The beer pours a dark red colour with a slightly off-white head. The lacing sticks to the glass like molasses.

Smell: Very, very complex. Incredibly hoppy on the first smell, full of piney notes that give way to a citrusy hop aroma. Small aromas of caramel malt and alcohol are also noticeable. The smell is layered and it takes a couple good whiffs to sort through it all. Absolutely delicious.

Taste: Wow. The first time I tried this beer I was blown away. Not as full bodied as you'd expect, more of a middle of the road body. The first flavour you experience is a massive piney, resiny hop flavour, which the nose revealed would be there, with a subtle grapefuit/citrus hop flavour playing the role of the back up band. The hops give way to a beautiful malt sweetness, full of roasted caramel flavours. The alcohol lends a tingling feeling to the tongue after each mouthful which fades rather quickly and never becomes unpleasant. Perfection.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a moderate carbonation and a medium body with a slight mouth-coating effect.

Drinkability: I could drink this, and only this, for the rest of my life and be a completely happy and content man. I don't think I can say that for any other beer on the planet. In other words the drinkability is like everything else about this beer, perfect.

11-23-2006 02:15:19 | More by dragonofblood
jeremyd365

Poured dark amber. The menu called it an "amber ale" but I would call it something heavier myself.

You can smell the delicious hops from some distance away, luring you in.

The taste is strong, but not overwhelming. It feels great in your mouth and goes down smooth.

On tap and from the bottle, the Arrogant Bastard is always great.

Highly recommend!

03-16-2008 00:20:46 | More by jeremyd365
teejay76

Utah

Let me just start by saying that this has become the gold standard by which I judge all other beers. While that should suffice, I have to hit my 250 character minimum so I'll make this nice and easy.

Appearance - Excellent. Dark amber waterfall from heaven.

Smell - Excellent, I wish I could request this scent at the car wash.

Taste - Excellent. This is what Adam drank in the Garden of Eden.

Mouthfeel - Excellently thick, rich and bitter. Not for "sniveling yellow-beer-drinkin' wimps" (Directly from the label).

Drinkability - Excellent, but truth be told. I could probably only handle two of these...

I have yet to experience a finer brew than this.

03-26-2009 02:14:06 | More by teejay76
jamesdr1968

My first ever try of the Bastard. Wow.

A - A dark, brownish/red. Much darker than I thought it would be.

S - Some citrus, but just a hint. Not overpowering. Bit of a grainy/bread smell.

T - Excellent balance of the hops and malts. Probably one of the best balances I've found so far. Slight hint of grapefruit. Again, like the taste, grains and breads. Very hearty.

M - Smooth, carbonation is just right.

D - Easy. Very easy. And at 7%+, I'll need to be careful with this one.

Overall, an excellent ale. I'll be coming back to this one.

04-10-2009 23:59:31 | More by jamesdr1968
Pittsburgh

Definitely quality, pretty much right up my alley, puts other ales to shame in my opinion. Color is great, it looks like it's going to taste amazing and it does. I could drink this all the time and never get tired of it. Dark reddish-brown, good flavor, strong, subtly tart, and rich for a beer of this type. Complex as well, smooth and easy drinking yet complex and feels thick at the same time. I love that it has a hoppy quality but is also very malty. Tastes like an IPA/red ale combo that is perfectly mixed. The bitter flavor tops it all off.

Love it. I don't know if I'll ever have a better beer. I hope I do.

03-20-2010 20:41:23 | More by Pittsburgh
mikepuke79

seved from a bomber into a DFH specialty.

A: a deep amber/mahogony color with a thick slightly brown head...nice lacing.

S: lots of hops up front with some toasty malts on the back end.

T: Alot like the smell...very hop forward, with a slight malt backbone.

M: a medium mouthfeel, with a lingering hop after taste.

D: For me, the drinkability would be high...but thats just me.

A truley delicious beer

07-17-2010 00:27:31 | More by mikepuke79
Lutter

Vessel: Dogfish Head Signature Glass

What more can be said about this beer? It pours a beautiful dark brown with a nice fluffy head... lacing falls down the glass as you begin to drink much like a good IPA would have .

The taste is piney and hoppy at first sip but ends with a beautiful sweet caramel/malty flavor much like a British ale.

There is carbonation there, but not a lot. Smooth mouthfeel.

This beer is endlessly drinkable and is something I always keep a few bottles of to drink. Fantastic.

01-10-2011 06:16:52 | More by Lutter
thebrood1987

Stone always knows how to properly hop their beers in the manner they describe it... I'm never disappointed, when they say its going to be bitter or very hoppy it always is. As soon as you smell it you get that trademark Stone brewery pine smell with citrus and the sweet malt in the background. I love how Stone is one of the only breweries that gets that pine hop resin taste and mixes it real well with citrus hops. The malt really comes into play in this beer and almost reminds me of what some breweries would call a black ipa. It kind of reminds me of a hoppier Victory Yakima Glory but better. The roasted malt blends in so nicely with the resinous hop bite it gives. That's the word that sets Stone IPA or highly hopped beers aside from other breweries highly hopped IPA's...resinous. Nobody can ever complain they don't get an amazing hop flavor and bite unless its past due its expiration date. This might be even hoppier than their regular IPA they brew mostly because of the different hops they use and the roasted malt coming together for a more bitter bite. Amazing beer that regular beer drinkers might have a hard time drinking because of the intense amount of flavor this has. Beer never tasted so rich, potent and good. I don't think this brewery can make a bad beer. My favorite California brewery.

01-16-2011 01:24:53 | More by thebrood1987
Mozz74

I have passed this beer for a year now but today I decided I wanted sometrhing different. I love Stone and usually drink the IPA.
I was ver surprised when I took my first sip! Instant 5 out of 5 stars!!!
Taste does not always reflect color! Very Fresh Taste, crisper than I thought. ABV... enough said, and smell is clean and not overwhelming.

05-02-2011 23:06:59 | More by Mozz74
Crowquill

Appearance: Dark, translucent red with a 2 and 1/2 finger light head.

Smell: Grapefruit, pine, hops, citrus, and booze.

Taste: Exceptionally hoppy, fruity, and overall, very aggressive. Caramel and pine are definitely present. This is not for the faint of heart.

Mouthfeel: Relatively smooth and slightly heavy, but not exceptionally thick.

Overall: This is definitely one of my absolute favorite beers and it's one that I drink very frequently.

09-01-2011 17:12:16 | More by Crowquill
sevenarts

A: Dark reddish brown with a nice, good-sized off-white head that leaves behind strong lacing.

S: Strong hops! Lots of pine and floral scents, some citrus, some malty and fruity sweetness. Smells great and intense.

T/M: Hops! Piney hops dominate, giving this a bitter kick up front, slightly balanced by the creamy malts, before even more bitterness kicks in at the end. Delicious, and as over-the-top intensely flavorful as the brewery's hype would have you believe.

O: This was one of my very first introductions to good beers, and it remains a favorite. A mouth-puckeringly, jaw-droppingly good hop bomb.

02-06-2012 22:39:48 | More by sevenarts
Dave1999

Poured into the glass dark red/brown colour with foamy tan head which quickly settles down.

Smells of malts and citrus hops.There's grapefruits and pine needles.

Tastes strong with big hops and malts coming through. Almost tastes like an IPA, it is hoppy but nicely balanced.

Smooth with a light amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a very good ale, very strong and very tasty. Has a big flavour and at $5 for a 22oz bottle a very good price.

02-09-2012 19:44:34 | More by Dave1999
digitalflood

Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard (2013) - Thick creamy head. Excellent lacing. Brillant black body with red hues under heavy light. No carbonation. The bubbles hang stagnant. It's thick. A full mouthfeel. Malt bread aroma. Chocolate and caramel wafting. Coffee and toffee front taste. Coffee, bread, and caramel. Stout, hops highlight, bitters and sours, spicing... fades to porter coffee and expresso. No alcohol. 7.6% ABV... not noticeable in the mouth. Warming the gut and the head. Crisp aftertaste. Lingering hops, citrus note appears, sour brillance, and then warming continues. In the mouth. In the throat. More hops. More coffee. More chocolate and light lemon. Strong. Powerful. Brillant. A serious beer for a serious beer connoisseur. I will not hesitate to tell you... aside from the special editions of this brew (Oaked, Anniversary, etc...) this is the best beer in the world. Simply more art than science. Simply perfect. 5 out of 5.

08-28-2012 04:43:02 | More by digitalflood
bullseyestrat

Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. I honestly saw the 22oz bottle at my local store in 2010 i think and saw the cover...hmmm this looks pretty cool maybe I should give it a shot. I don't regret it at all. Its a very complex American ale that will kick you in the butt and leave you wanting more. I have had it in the bottle as previously said. Along with a tap pour at the bar Strange Brew in Manchester, NH. All I can say is the bottle is no match for the tap by a long shot. Stronger, tastier, and I'm sure it has to be more than 7.2abv. Kind of reminds me of those old muscle cars that are rated by gross horsepower under the SAE standards at the time...but if you drove one now compared to the newer muscle cars you can definitely tell they were being modest.
Anyways it has a reddish black appearance with a head that always appears no matter how you pour it. In a good way it has a mind of its own. Smellwise Arrogant Bastard has alot going on. You can smell and taste the cascade hops and other stuff I can't put my finger on. Its aggressive and complex to say the least.
Tastewise like I said it kicks you in the butt and leaves you wanting more. Its very similar to an IPA but its not quite in the same category. Its very bold, aggressive, and tasty for someone looking for a rather full bodied ale. In you mouth like I said goes similar to an IPA but not quite. Its bold, full, and not as bitter as most IPA's but kicks your tastebuds almost like one.
Overall the label on the bottle isn't too far from the truth. If you are more into lighter beers I'd sip or steer clear of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Otherwise Arrogant Bastard Ale a very full-bodied American Strong Ale that will kick you in the butt and keep you coming back for more!

04-03-2013 02:54:13 | More by bullseyestrat
SSS

Quebec (Canada)

I love this beer, hop-sensation

A-Amber brown with a red tint, head was nice while it lasted
S-Feint malt, all hops
T-Glorious, hops and more hops, a timid sweet start, and then bitter hops, there is also a weak roasted tone
M-Carbonation is perfect, smooth and drinkable.

Highly recommend for all IPA lovers.

07-22-2013 21:45:42 | More by SSS
ArrogantJoseph

Nevada

Good ol' Arrogant Bastard.

Appearance: Dark red-ish caramel color, with a very VERY light tan head, just about finger and half of a head.

Smell: VERY wild strong upfront smell of pine needles, hops ,citrus and alcohol.

Taste: Crazy intense amount of bitter grapefruit,pine and caramel, but not that much alcohol is present in the taste.

Mouth Feel: Smooth and creamy all the way to the last drop just like it has been.

Overall: This has been one of my favorites for a long time. Whenever I go to the grocery store for another haul of goodness I always grab this.. If you have NEVER tried this and are looking for a pretty strong beer I would recommend you give this a go.

03-25-2014 08:26:16 | More by ArrogantJoseph
Keith425

At this point in time,this is my favorite beer.i drink it almost daily

Appearance : pours a beautiful almost ruby red color,especially when you shine light through it.A nice creamy tan 1.5-2 finger head forms with great lacing throughout...absolutely love the look of this beer,it really goes well with the attitude Stone purveys

Smell : the first thing that hits me is the hops,there's definitely some citrus in there but the hops are the most predominant smell for sure

Taste : this beer is extremely strong,bitter and hoppy...but incredibly balanced.nothing about it is really overpowering to me...just tastes great from the first sip to the last

Mouthfeel : extremely smooth for such a strong brew.there is definitely some lingering from the bitterness and a little tingling from the alcohol,but all it does is make you want the next sip.

Overall : 5/5 I love everything about this beer,definitely one of,if not,the best beer I've ever had.would recommend to anybody interested in this kind of beer,but certainly not for someone who doesn't like a beer that is very bitter and very straight forward

03-28-2014 14:52:35 | More by Keith425
StanfordBlack

What can I say? I love this beer.
It took me by surprise the first time, it was rather strong for an ale, yet it was everything I ever wanted in my drink. It's dark color as well as the rather fitting cup "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" made me laugh the first time I had this, and it was rather fitting, I think for someone who doesn't like a full bodied strong beer that doesn't taste overly hoppy or citrus that they really should avoid this beer. I buy Arrogant Bastard quite often, it's usually my go to craft brew. The bottle is pretty hilarious as well.
All in all, Arrogant Bastard proves that there does exist some great ales, and all my friends I have introduced it to love it as well.

04-03-2014 22:03:30 | More by StanfordBlack
BTFU

Indiana

4.98/5  rDev +19.1%

Serving type - 22 oz bottle...READ THE BOTTLE, its hilarious

A - A deep brownish red that produces a a head that looks clean but has a hint of yellow/red in it. It laces down the glass as you go

S - The moment you pop the cap off you can already tell there's a lot in store. The hops are strong and prominent but not harsh

T - An amazing mix of both roasted grains and fruitier/lighter parts. There's hints of chocolate and nuts blended with the different barley and grain elements. The hops receive more attention as the beer loses its chill and the warmth allows it to blend amazingly well so the entire beer can be appreciated.

M - The head is thick and tasty and the beer comes through it, picking up just enough of the head on the way through so you get all of the arrogant-ness!

O - Definitely a beer that shouldn't be served super cold. Just chilled and as it warms up some it changes and opens up even more. One of the best experiences you'll get out of a bottle and it lives up to its cocky namesake!!

02-16-2012 20:43:30 | More by BTFU
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.98/5  rDev +19.1%

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Deep amber color with a white head.

Smell: Hops, citrus, malts. Some sugars too in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth. Hoppy, citrus taste that dominates the palate.

Overall: Great beer, this one definatly lived up to it's reputation. I will have this one again.

11-09-2012 14:38:44 | More by Cavanaghty
IPALOVER

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This is one of the best "hoppy" beers on the market. Having moved from Colorado to California, I was in search of a brewery that offered great tasting, hoppy beers. Stone Brewing in San Diego offers some excellent beer, including Arrogant Bastard. As a former English teacher I appreciate the creative writing on the back of the bottle! This beer is hoppy, yet has a slightly sweet aftertaste. It definitely packs a punch. Not for the faint-hearted, for sure. I enjoy the taste so much I could drink this beer every day! I have also had it on tap at The Yardhouse, and it is even smoother and crisper than it is from the bottle. This is an excellent beer, and one of my favorites.

11-20-2003 05:13:18 | More by IPALOVER
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.