Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,811 | Reviews: 2,967

Let me just start by saying that this has become the gold standard by which I judge all other beers. While that should suffice, I have to hit my 250 character minimum so I'll make this nice and easy.

Appearance - Excellent. Dark amber waterfall from heaven.

Smell - Excellent, I wish I could request this scent at the car wash.

Taste - Excellent. This is what Adam drank in the Garden of Eden.

Mouthfeel - Excellently thick, rich and bitter. Not for "sniveling yellow-beer-drinkin' wimps" (Directly from the label).

Drinkability - Excellent, but truth be told. I could probably only handle two of these...

I have yet to experience a finer brew than this.

Vessel: Dogfish Head Signature Glass

What more can be said about this beer? It pours a beautiful dark brown with a nice fluffy head... lacing falls down the glass as you begin to drink much like a good IPA would have .

The taste is piney and hoppy at first sip but ends with a beautiful sweet caramel/malty flavor much like a British ale.

There is carbonation there, but not a lot. Smooth mouthfeel.

This beer is endlessly drinkable and is something I always keep a few bottles of to drink. Fantastic.

THE BOMB!!!!!!!!

I have passed this beer for a year now but today I decided I wanted sometrhing different. I love Stone and usually drink the IPA.
I was ver surprised when I took my first sip! Instant 5 out of 5 stars!!!
Taste does not always reflect color! Very Fresh Taste, crisper than I thought. ABV... enough said, and smell is clean and not overwhelming.

My first ever try of the Bastard. Wow.

A - A dark, brownish/red. Much darker than I thought it would be.

S - Some citrus, but just a hint. Not overpowering. Bit of a grainy/bread smell.

T - Excellent balance of the hops and malts. Probably one of the best balances I've found so far. Slight hint of grapefruit. Again, like the taste, grains and breads. Very hearty.

M - Smooth, carbonation is just right.

D - Easy. Very easy. And at 7%+, I'll need to be careful with this one.

Overall, an excellent ale. I'll be coming back to this one.

Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. I honestly saw the 22oz bottle at my local store in 2010 i think and saw the cover...hmmm this looks pretty cool maybe I should give it a shot. I don't regret it at all. Its a very complex American ale that will kick you in the butt and leave you wanting more. I have had it in the bottle as previously said. Along with a tap pour at the bar Strange Brew in Manchester, NH. All I can say is the bottle is no match for the tap by a long shot. Stronger, tastier, and I'm sure it has to be more than 7.2abv. Kind of reminds me of those old muscle cars that are rated by gross horsepower under the SAE standards at the time...but if you drove one now compared to the newer muscle cars you can definitely tell they were being modest.
Anyways it has a reddish black appearance with a head that always appears no matter how you pour it. In a good way it has a mind of its own. Smellwise Arrogant Bastard has alot going on. You can smell and taste the cascade hops and other stuff I can't put my finger on. Its aggressive and complex to say the least.
Tastewise like I said it kicks you in the butt and leaves you wanting more. Its very similar to an IPA but its not quite in the same category. Its very bold, aggressive, and tasty for someone looking for a rather full bodied ale. In you mouth like I said goes similar to an IPA but not quite. Its bold, full, and not as bitter as most IPA's but kicks your tastebuds almost like one.
Overall the label on the bottle isn't too far from the truth. If you are more into lighter beers I'd sip or steer clear of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Otherwise Arrogant Bastard Ale a very full-bodied American Strong Ale that will kick you in the butt and keep you coming back for more!

Since so many people wrote how it pours, etc. I'll just say - the taste is worthy of the name. It's bold, arrogant and in a way overwhelming. Really hard to forget and I often want to go back to it. I wrote a bit more some time ago - http://nextbottleplease.com/?p=162 .

this is my absolute favorite beer, prior to drinking this i was a conossour of liquor and had only drank beer as an alcohol delivery system, this beer is singlehandedly responsible for expanding my interests and turning me into the beer snob that i am, as such i have to give it a perfect rating as no beer i have ever had has topped it to this point. its taste isnt very sweet, its fairly bitter, and its a dark amber color with a small head and not too agressive carbonation. mouth feel i found was consistent and somewhat chalky, but not enough to reduce the experience, though someone i introduced to this beer said he found it was like drinking charcoal. If your into dark ales this is a must try!

Appearance: Dark, translucent red with a 2 and 1/2 finger light head.

Smell: Grapefruit, pine, hops, citrus, and booze.

Taste: Exceptionally hoppy, fruity, and overall, very aggressive. Caramel and pine are definitely present. This is not for the faint of heart.

Mouthfeel: Relatively smooth and slightly heavy, but not exceptionally thick.

Overall: This is definitely one of my absolute favorite beers and it's one that I drink very frequently.

Stone always knows how to properly hop their beers in the manner they describe it... I'm never disappointed, when they say its going to be bitter or very hoppy it always is. As soon as you smell it you get that trademark Stone brewery pine smell with citrus and the sweet malt in the background. I love how Stone is one of the only breweries that gets that pine hop resin taste and mixes it real well with citrus hops. The malt really comes into play in this beer and almost reminds me of what some breweries would call a black ipa. It kind of reminds me of a hoppier Victory Yakima Glory but better. The roasted malt blends in so nicely with the resinous hop bite it gives. That's the word that sets Stone IPA or highly hopped beers aside from other breweries highly hopped IPA's...resinous. Nobody can ever complain they don't get an amazing hop flavor and bite unless its past due its expiration date. This might be even hoppier than their regular IPA they brew mostly because of the different hops they use and the roasted malt coming together for a more bitter bite. Amazing beer that regular beer drinkers might have a hard time drinking because of the intense amount of flavor this has. Beer never tasted so rich, potent and good. I don't think this brewery can make a bad beer. My favorite California brewery.

I love this beer, hop-sensation

A-Amber brown with a red tint, head was nice while it lasted
S-Feint malt, all hops
T-Glorious, hops and more hops, a timid sweet start, and then bitter hops, there is also a weak roasted tone
M-Carbonation is perfect, smooth and drinkable.

Highly recommend for all IPA lovers.

This is my favourite beer in the world, from my favourite brewery in the world. Hence it gets a perfect rating from me.

Appearance: Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with that arrogant gargoyle leering at me, daring me to drink his beer. The beer pours a dark red colour with a slightly off-white head. The lacing sticks to the glass like molasses.

Smell: Very, very complex. Incredibly hoppy on the first smell, full of piney notes that give way to a citrusy hop aroma. Small aromas of caramel malt and alcohol are also noticeable. The smell is layered and it takes a couple good whiffs to sort through it all. Absolutely delicious.

Taste: Wow. The first time I tried this beer I was blown away. Not as full bodied as you'd expect, more of a middle of the road body. The first flavour you experience is a massive piney, resiny hop flavour, which the nose revealed would be there, with a subtle grapefuit/citrus hop flavour playing the role of the back up band. The hops give way to a beautiful malt sweetness, full of roasted caramel flavours. The alcohol lends a tingling feeling to the tongue after each mouthful which fades rather quickly and never becomes unpleasant. Perfection.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a moderate carbonation and a medium body with a slight mouth-coating effect.

Drinkability: I could drink this, and only this, for the rest of my life and be a completely happy and content man. I don't think I can say that for any other beer on the planet. In other words the drinkability is like everything else about this beer, perfect.

I'll have you know, Mr. Gargoyle, I AM WORTHY and I love your Beer. Top 10 on my personal list - best beer by Stone in my opinion.

This may be the first beer I have given a 5 all around to. I just had this at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. One word: Amazing!
Great deep copper color. Tastes much different than I expected. Upon the look, it looks like it would be very heavy but it actually isn't. Don't get me wrong,this beer is strong and very bitter and hoppy. It is one of the most perfectly balanced beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I much prefer it alone because food tends to alter the great taste. Brilliant! Perfect!

One of several Stone beers that doesn't disappoint.

Definitely a beer that knocked me off my feet but still tastes really good.

Hoppiest beer out there but has a finish that doesn't make you regret getting it.

I grab a pint of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA pretty much every weekend.

seved from a bomber into a DFH specialty.

A: a deep amber/mahogony color with a thick slightly brown head...nice lacing.

S: lots of hops up front with some toasty malts on the back end.

T: Alot like the smell...very hop forward, with a slight malt backbone.

M: a medium mouthfeel, with a lingering hop after taste.

D: For me, the drinkability would be high...but thats just me.

A truley delicious beer

This is one very good beer. Raw and unleashed. Stone seems to making a splash in the NY area. Had this one on tap at dba recently. Great copper/red tint color. Thin white lace followed-up the quickly dissipating head. Did I mention raw and unleashed! Real hoppy, sound malt presence. A unique beer definitely. I look forward to having this one again as well as trying other Stone products. If you are a fan of strong beers you must add this one to your list of regulars.

Yes, it does earn a five.

Love it!!

This is one of my favorite beers. It pours deep brown with a small head. Just enough to hold the rim of the glass while you drink. It has a strong flavor with some coffee notes. It is heavy and not for the timid.

This is my uncle's favorite beer. It's what got us hooked on Stone Brewing Co. beer!

Definitely quality, pretty much right up my alley, puts other ales to shame in my opinion. Color is great, it looks like it's going to taste amazing and it does. I could drink this all the time and never get tired of it. Dark reddish-brown, good flavor, strong, subtly tart, and rich for a beer of this type. Complex as well, smooth and easy drinking yet complex and feels thick at the same time. I love that it has a hoppy quality but is also very malty. Tastes like an IPA/red ale combo that is perfectly mixed. The bitter flavor tops it all off.

Love it. I don't know if I'll ever have a better beer. I hope I do.

One of the best beers.

Appearance: Medium brown in color

Smell: The aromatics on this beer are great you can smell the hops, a slight pine, with an orange grapefruit appeal.

Taste: This medium bodied beer is great. Good hoppie bitterness and you can taste the chocolate malts and roasted flavors.

Mouth feel: it goes down smooth, if your not use to hoppie beers, keep to your fuzzy wussies beers like the bottle say, cause your not worthy.

Overall: This is my beer of choice. This is the beer that got me into craft beer and ultimately brewing. With this beer your either a fan or you don't know what real beer is.

This beer is fantastic. Dark and flavorful, the way i like it. A tad bitter, but the bitterness accentuates the dark coffee/chocolate notes. A great beer overall.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.