Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,891 | Hads: 9,868

This is my favourite beer in the world, from my favourite brewery in the world. Hence it gets a perfect rating from me.

Appearance: Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with that arrogant gargoyle leering at me, daring me to drink his beer. The beer pours a dark red colour with a slightly off-white head. The lacing sticks to the glass like molasses.

Smell: Very, very complex. Incredibly hoppy on the first smell, full of piney notes that give way to a citrusy hop aroma. Small aromas of caramel malt and alcohol are also noticeable. The smell is layered and it takes a couple good whiffs to sort through it all. Absolutely delicious.

Taste: Wow. The first time I tried this beer I was blown away. Not as full bodied as you'd expect, more of a middle of the road body. The first flavour you experience is a massive piney, resiny hop flavour, which the nose revealed would be there, with a subtle grapefuit/citrus hop flavour playing the role of the back up band. The hops give way to a beautiful malt sweetness, full of roasted caramel flavours. The alcohol lends a tingling feeling to the tongue after each mouthful which fades rather quickly and never becomes unpleasant. Perfection.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a moderate carbonation and a medium body with a slight mouth-coating effect.

Drinkability: I could drink this, and only this, for the rest of my life and be a completely happy and content man. I don't think I can say that for any other beer on the planet. In other words the drinkability is like everything else about this beer, perfect. (1,554 characters)

This may be the first beer I have given a 5 all around to. I just had this at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. One word: Amazing!
Great deep copper color. Tastes much different than I expected. Upon the look, it looks like it would be very heavy but it actually isn't. Don't get me wrong,this beer is strong and very bitter and hoppy. It is one of the most perfectly balanced beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I much prefer it alone because food tends to alter the great taste. Brilliant! Perfect! (502 characters)

Definitely a beer that knocked me off my feet but still tastes really good.

Hoppiest beer out there but has a finish that doesn't make you regret getting it.

I grab a pint of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA pretty much every weekend. (236 characters)

seved from a bomber into a DFH specialty.

A: a deep amber/mahogony color with a thick slightly brown head...nice lacing.

S: lots of hops up front with some toasty malts on the back end.

T: Alot like the smell...very hop forward, with a slight malt backbone.

M: a medium mouthfeel, with a lingering hop after taste.

D: For me, the drinkability would be high...but thats just me.

A truley delicious beer (407 characters)

This is one very good beer. Raw and unleashed. Stone seems to making a splash in the NY area. Had this one on tap at dba recently. Great copper/red tint color. Thin white lace followed-up the quickly dissipating head. Did I mention raw and unleashed! Real hoppy, sound malt presence. A unique beer definitely. I look forward to having this one again as well as trying other Stone products. If you are a fan of strong beers you must add this one to your list of regulars.

Yes, it does earn a five. (499 characters)

This is one of my favorite beers. It pours deep brown with a small head. Just enough to hold the rim of the glass while you drink. It has a strong flavor with some coffee notes. It is heavy and not for the timid. (215 characters)

Definitely quality, pretty much right up my alley, puts other ales to shame in my opinion. Color is great, it looks like it's going to taste amazing and it does. I could drink this all the time and never get tired of it. Dark reddish-brown, good flavor, strong, subtly tart, and rich for a beer of this type. Complex as well, smooth and easy drinking yet complex and feels thick at the same time. I love that it has a hoppy quality but is also very malty. Tastes like an IPA/red ale combo that is perfectly mixed. The bitter flavor tops it all off.

Love it. I don't know if I'll ever have a better beer. I hope I do. (617 characters)

Appearance: Medium brown in color

Smell: The aromatics on this beer are great you can smell the hops, a slight pine, with an orange grapefruit appeal.

Taste: This medium bodied beer is great. Good hoppie bitterness and you can taste the chocolate malts and roasted flavors.

Mouth feel: it goes down smooth, if your not use to hoppie beers, keep to your fuzzy wussies beers like the bottle say, cause your not worthy.

Overall: This is my beer of choice. This is the beer that got me into craft beer and ultimately brewing. With this beer your either a fan or you don't know what real beer is. (596 characters)

This beer is fantastic. Dark and flavorful, the way i like it. A tad bitter, but the bitterness accentuates the dark coffee/chocolate notes. A great beer overall. (162 characters)

Poured dark amber. The menu called it an "amber ale" but I would call it something heavier myself.

You can smell the delicious hops from some distance away, luring you in.

The taste is strong, but not overwhelming. It feels great in your mouth and goes down smooth.

On tap and from the bottle, the Arrogant Bastard is always great.

Highly recommend! (353 characters)

Good ol' Arrogant Bastard.

Appearance: Dark red-ish caramel color, with a very VERY light tan head, just about finger and half of a head.

Smell: VERY wild strong upfront smell of pine needles, hops ,citrus and alcohol.

Taste: Crazy intense amount of bitter grapefruit,pine and caramel, but not that much alcohol is present in the taste.

Mouth Feel: Smooth and creamy all the way to the last drop just like it has been.

Overall: This has been one of my favorites for a long time. Whenever I go to the grocery store for another haul of goodness I always grab this.. If you have NEVER tried this and are looking for a pretty strong beer I would recommend you give this a go. (676 characters)

A: Dark reddish brown with a nice, good-sized off-white head that leaves behind strong lacing.

S: Strong hops! Lots of pine and floral scents, some citrus, some malty and fruity sweetness. Smells great and intense.

T/M: Hops! Piney hops dominate, giving this a bitter kick up front, slightly balanced by the creamy malts, before even more bitterness kicks in at the end. Delicious, and as over-the-top intensely flavorful as the brewery's hype would have you believe.

O: This was one of my very first introductions to good beers, and it remains a favorite. A mouth-puckeringly, jaw-droppingly good hop bomb. (610 characters)

Poured into the glass dark red/brown colour with foamy tan head which quickly settles down.

Smells of malts and citrus hops.There's grapefruits and pine needles.

Tastes strong with big hops and malts coming through. Almost tastes like an IPA, it is hoppy but nicely balanced.

Smooth with a light amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a very good ale, very strong and very tasty. Has a big flavour and at $5 for a 22oz bottle a very good price. (449 characters)

Gave it all 5s because Im partial to this one for a reason. This was my first IPA / Heavily hopped beer. Fast forward MANY years later, and I brew this kind of stuff every other month. Cheers to you Stone! Love the brewery too, much love! (238 characters)

I finally got a gallon of this brew this week! A local pizza parlor had my favorite beer on tap, and Oh my Lord. This is so awesome. The color is a deep brown - thick creamy head that lasts - the aroma of pungent grapefruit rind comes just short of overwhelming the senses - you want hops? HOPS in three foot high letters. Alcohol fumes drift up and are overcome by the sweet malt which is in turn over come by a killer dry, bitter aftertaste, redolent of black coffee. This beer has become a local favorite. You gotta try this!! (529 characters)

Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard (2013) - Thick creamy head. Excellent lacing. Brillant black body with red hues under heavy light. No carbonation. The bubbles hang stagnant. It's thick. A full mouthfeel. Malt bread aroma. Chocolate and caramel wafting. Coffee and toffee front taste. Coffee, bread, and caramel. Stout, hops highlight, bitters and sours, spicing... fades to porter coffee and expresso. No alcohol. 7.6% ABV... not noticeable in the mouth. Warming the gut and the head. Crisp aftertaste. Lingering hops, citrus note appears, sour brillance, and then warming continues. In the mouth. In the throat. More hops. More coffee. More chocolate and light lemon. Strong. Powerful. Brillant. A serious beer for a serious beer connoisseur. I will not hesitate to tell you... aside from the special editions of this brew (Oaked, Anniversary, etc...) this is the best beer in the world. Simply more art than science. Simply perfect. 5 out of 5. (945 characters)

What can I say? I love this beer.
It took me by surprise the first time, it was rather strong for an ale, yet it was everything I ever wanted in my drink. It's dark color as well as the rather fitting cup "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" made me laugh the first time I had this, and it was rather fitting, I think for someone who doesn't like a full bodied strong beer that doesn't taste overly hoppy or citrus that they really should avoid this beer. I buy Arrogant Bastard quite often, it's usually my go to craft brew. The bottle is pretty hilarious as well.
All in all, Arrogant Bastard proves that there does exist some great ales, and all my friends I have introduced it to love it as well. (698 characters)

I love "hoppy" beers and this is my number one favorite! No one even comes close. I find it hard to believe Stone Ruination and Stone IPA beat this out on BA review rankings because to me they taste a tad watery in comparison. Don't get me wrong I like those beers but no where near as well as ABA. I think the writing on the bottle says it all. (345 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Deep amber color with a white head.

Smell: Hops, citrus, malts. Some sugars too in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth. Hoppy, citrus taste that dominates the palate.

Overall: Great beer, this one definatly lived up to it's reputation. I will have this one again. (334 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer is exactly what it advertises. It packs a punch! Not at all ordinary, it pours a light cloudy brown. The smell is complex, with hops and malt present. Once you take a sip and it hits your belly, you have to drink the rest. It has a strong hop taste but finishes refreshing and has a luring aftertaste. Unless you appreciate finer tastes, "You're not worthy"TM (369 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Breaking into this style for the first time I checked and found it is a "Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above" As I worked my way to the bottom of this beauty it felt like 7.2 % ABV but far from the high end of the style's range of 25% abv.

American Strong Ale is said to have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales (recent discussion comparing these 2 separate styles rages on the forum while I enjoy this badboy) I searched my back issues of Zymurgy looking for a recipe from the brewers - No doubt a White Lab 007 yeast and Chinook hops in ~70 IBU dose - a little less than Ruination IPA(100+IBUs). But the grains that support such a hop dominate brew were what I was looking for. (# 11.5 pounds pale two-row malt and # 1.5 pounds crystal 120 according to a recipe provided by my friendly local Beerguide) - thanks MJR

Alcoholic taste comming to the front after the taste buds throw in the towel (after the first pint) and the carbonation reduces. Keeps a medium mouthfeel till the end and although finish is dry the bitter Cascade hops give a good aftertaste inviting you back for more. So yummy that I may have 2 bottles tucked into my coffin. So hoppy and still drinkable! Hummm . . . wonder how it would work as imbalming fluid. Maybe a little note tied to the bomber saying: "Here's to ME and more of Stone's Good Stuff" Carpe Diem! (1,393 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This is one of the best "hoppy" beers on the market. Having moved from Colorado to California, I was in search of a brewery that offered great tasting, hoppy beers. Stone Brewing in San Diego offers some excellent beer, including Arrogant Bastard. As a former English teacher I appreciate the creative writing on the back of the bottle! This beer is hoppy, yet has a slightly sweet aftertaste. It definitely packs a punch. Not for the faint-hearted, for sure. I enjoy the taste so much I could drink this beer every day! I have also had it on tap at The Yardhouse, and it is even smoother and crisper than it is from the bottle. This is an excellent beer, and one of my favorites. (680 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Really good brew!! The appearance is super dark the color of the bottle it came from but is nice and frothy with a lace that hangs out the whole time. It is full of aroma with a lot of hops character. The mouthfeel is great very smooth which makes a perfect drinkability though it does finish kind of dry. I really enjoyed it. (326 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Dark amber with hint of red in color. Nice mocha colored head. Grapefruit scented aroma. Extremely creamy feel with a wonderful mix of citrus and pine hop flavor. Not as over the top as I was expecting. The hop flavors are there and are definitely dominant. But it is a very well balanced beer, with a strong malt base. As the beer finishes, the bitterness really pops out at you and then trails off with a lingering flora hop flavor on the tongue. Happily much better of a balanced beer than I was expecting. (509 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

I poured this one from a bomber to a pint glass.

Appearance: An Ice tea amber with a gorgeous half inch tan head that sank to less than a quarter and left a lot of lacing.

Smell: They say the style is American Strong Ale, but my nose tells me IPA. All grapefruit and grass.

Taste: I get a slight hint of roasted malt but it's almost eclipsed by the hop explosion that overwhelms the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. I know the abv is high but it still feels like a heavy pillow on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic ale. I'm an amateur home brewer and for my next batch I'm gonna try to recreate something like Arrogant Bastard Ale, or at least get somewhat close to it. (681 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.