Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,812 | Reviews: 2,967

I love this beer, hop-sensation

A-Amber brown with a red tint, head was nice while it lasted
S-Feint malt, all hops
T-Glorious, hops and more hops, a timid sweet start, and then bitter hops, there is also a weak roasted tone
M-Carbonation is perfect, smooth and drinkable.

Highly recommend for all IPA lovers.

This is my favourite beer in the world, from my favourite brewery in the world. Hence it gets a perfect rating from me.

Appearance: Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with that arrogant gargoyle leering at me, daring me to drink his beer. The beer pours a dark red colour with a slightly off-white head. The lacing sticks to the glass like molasses.

Smell: Very, very complex. Incredibly hoppy on the first smell, full of piney notes that give way to a citrusy hop aroma. Small aromas of caramel malt and alcohol are also noticeable. The smell is layered and it takes a couple good whiffs to sort through it all. Absolutely delicious.

Taste: Wow. The first time I tried this beer I was blown away. Not as full bodied as you'd expect, more of a middle of the road body. The first flavour you experience is a massive piney, resiny hop flavour, which the nose revealed would be there, with a subtle grapefuit/citrus hop flavour playing the role of the back up band. The hops give way to a beautiful malt sweetness, full of roasted caramel flavours. The alcohol lends a tingling feeling to the tongue after each mouthful which fades rather quickly and never becomes unpleasant. Perfection.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a moderate carbonation and a medium body with a slight mouth-coating effect.

Drinkability: I could drink this, and only this, for the rest of my life and be a completely happy and content man. I don't think I can say that for any other beer on the planet. In other words the drinkability is like everything else about this beer, perfect.

I'll have you know, Mr. Gargoyle, I AM WORTHY and I love your Beer. Top 10 on my personal list - best beer by Stone in my opinion.

This may be the first beer I have given a 5 all around to. I just had this at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. One word: Amazing!
Great deep copper color. Tastes much different than I expected. Upon the look, it looks like it would be very heavy but it actually isn't. Don't get me wrong,this beer is strong and very bitter and hoppy. It is one of the most perfectly balanced beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I much prefer it alone because food tends to alter the great taste. Brilliant! Perfect!

One of several Stone beers that doesn't disappoint.

Definitely a beer that knocked me off my feet but still tastes really good.

Hoppiest beer out there but has a finish that doesn't make you regret getting it.

I grab a pint of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA pretty much every weekend.

seved from a bomber into a DFH specialty.

A: a deep amber/mahogony color with a thick slightly brown head...nice lacing.

S: lots of hops up front with some toasty malts on the back end.

T: Alot like the smell...very hop forward, with a slight malt backbone.

M: a medium mouthfeel, with a lingering hop after taste.

D: For me, the drinkability would be high...but thats just me.

A truley delicious beer

This is one very good beer. Raw and unleashed. Stone seems to making a splash in the NY area. Had this one on tap at dba recently. Great copper/red tint color. Thin white lace followed-up the quickly dissipating head. Did I mention raw and unleashed! Real hoppy, sound malt presence. A unique beer definitely. I look forward to having this one again as well as trying other Stone products. If you are a fan of strong beers you must add this one to your list of regulars.

Yes, it does earn a five.

Love it!!

This is one of my favorite beers. It pours deep brown with a small head. Just enough to hold the rim of the glass while you drink. It has a strong flavor with some coffee notes. It is heavy and not for the timid.

This is my uncle's favorite beer. It's what got us hooked on Stone Brewing Co. beer!

Definitely quality, pretty much right up my alley, puts other ales to shame in my opinion. Color is great, it looks like it's going to taste amazing and it does. I could drink this all the time and never get tired of it. Dark reddish-brown, good flavor, strong, subtly tart, and rich for a beer of this type. Complex as well, smooth and easy drinking yet complex and feels thick at the same time. I love that it has a hoppy quality but is also very malty. Tastes like an IPA/red ale combo that is perfectly mixed. The bitter flavor tops it all off.

Love it. I don't know if I'll ever have a better beer. I hope I do.

One of the best beers.

Appearance: Medium brown in color

Smell: The aromatics on this beer are great you can smell the hops, a slight pine, with an orange grapefruit appeal.

Taste: This medium bodied beer is great. Good hoppie bitterness and you can taste the chocolate malts and roasted flavors.

Mouth feel: it goes down smooth, if your not use to hoppie beers, keep to your fuzzy wussies beers like the bottle say, cause your not worthy.

Overall: This is my beer of choice. This is the beer that got me into craft beer and ultimately brewing. With this beer your either a fan or you don't know what real beer is.

This beer is fantastic. Dark and flavorful, the way i like it. A tad bitter, but the bitterness accentuates the dark coffee/chocolate notes. A great beer overall.

Very good and flavorful. Smells great.

Poured dark amber. The menu called it an "amber ale" but I would call it something heavier myself.

You can smell the delicious hops from some distance away, luring you in.

The taste is strong, but not overwhelming. It feels great in your mouth and goes down smooth.

On tap and from the bottle, the Arrogant Bastard is always great.

Highly recommend!

Good ol' Arrogant Bastard.

Appearance: Dark red-ish caramel color, with a very VERY light tan head, just about finger and half of a head.

Smell: VERY wild strong upfront smell of pine needles, hops ,citrus and alcohol.

Taste: Crazy intense amount of bitter grapefruit,pine and caramel, but not that much alcohol is present in the taste.

Mouth Feel: Smooth and creamy all the way to the last drop just like it has been.

Overall: This has been one of my favorites for a long time. Whenever I go to the grocery store for another haul of goodness I always grab this.. If you have NEVER tried this and are looking for a pretty strong beer I would recommend you give this a go.

A: Dark reddish brown with a nice, good-sized off-white head that leaves behind strong lacing.

S: Strong hops! Lots of pine and floral scents, some citrus, some malty and fruity sweetness. Smells great and intense.

T/M: Hops! Piney hops dominate, giving this a bitter kick up front, slightly balanced by the creamy malts, before even more bitterness kicks in at the end. Delicious, and as over-the-top intensely flavorful as the brewery's hype would have you believe.

O: This was one of my very first introductions to good beers, and it remains a favorite. A mouth-puckeringly, jaw-droppingly good hop bomb.

Poured into the glass dark red/brown colour with foamy tan head which quickly settles down.

Smells of malts and citrus hops.There's grapefruits and pine needles.

Tastes strong with big hops and malts coming through. Almost tastes like an IPA, it is hoppy but nicely balanced.

Smooth with a light amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a very good ale, very strong and very tasty. Has a big flavour and at $5 for a 22oz bottle a very good price.

This is my go to stone know how to deliver and this brew does not fail we are not worthy for sure

Outstanding. Strong ! I love this stuff

I finally got a gallon of this brew this week! A local pizza parlor had my favorite beer on tap, and Oh my Lord. This is so awesome. The color is a deep brown - thick creamy head that lasts - the aroma of pungent grapefruit rind comes just short of overwhelming the senses - you want hops? HOPS in three foot high letters. Alcohol fumes drift up and are overcome by the sweet malt which is in turn over come by a killer dry, bitter aftertaste, redolent of black coffee. This beer has become a local favorite. You gotta try this!!

Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard (2013) - Thick creamy head. Excellent lacing. Brillant black body with red hues under heavy light. No carbonation. The bubbles hang stagnant. It's thick. A full mouthfeel. Malt bread aroma. Chocolate and caramel wafting. Coffee and toffee front taste. Coffee, bread, and caramel. Stout, hops highlight, bitters and sours, spicing... fades to porter coffee and expresso. No alcohol. 7.6% ABV... not noticeable in the mouth. Warming the gut and the head. Crisp aftertaste. Lingering hops, citrus note appears, sour brillance, and then warming continues. In the mouth. In the throat. More hops. More coffee. More chocolate and light lemon. Strong. Powerful. Brillant. A serious beer for a serious beer connoisseur. I will not hesitate to tell you... aside from the special editions of this brew (Oaked, Anniversary, etc...) this is the best beer in the world. Simply more art than science. Simply perfect. 5 out of 5.

Excellent beer

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.