2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,468 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
BobLuvBeer

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Dark amber with hint of red in color. Nice mocha colored head. Grapefruit scented aroma. Extremely creamy feel with a wonderful mix of citrus and pine hop flavor. Not as over the top as I was expecting. The hop flavors are there and are definitely dominant. But it is a very well balanced beer, with a strong malt base. As the beer finishes, the bitterness really pops out at you and then trails off with a lingering flora hop flavor on the tongue. Happily much better of a balanced beer than I was expecting.

03-13-2005 17:13:51 | More by BobLuvBeer
karst

Missouri

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Breaking into this style for the first time I checked and found it is a "Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above" As I worked my way to the bottom of this beauty it felt like 7.2 % ABV but far from the high end of the style's range of 25% abv.

American Strong Ale is said to have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales (recent discussion comparing these 2 separate styles rages on the forum while I enjoy this badboy) I searched my back issues of Zymurgy looking for a recipe from the brewers - No doubt a White Lab 007 yeast and Chinook hops in ~70 IBU dose - a little less than Ruination IPA(100+IBUs). But the grains that support such a hop dominate brew were what I was looking for. (# 11.5 pounds pale two-row malt and # 1.5 pounds crystal 120 according to a recipe provided by my friendly local Beerguide) - thanks MJR

Alcoholic taste comming to the front after the taste buds throw in the towel (after the first pint) and the carbonation reduces. Keeps a medium mouthfeel till the end and although finish is dry the bitter Cascade hops give a good aftertaste inviting you back for more. So yummy that I may have 2 bottles tucked into my coffin. So hoppy and still drinkable! Hummm . . . wonder how it would work as imbalming fluid. Maybe a little note tied to the bomber saying: "Here's to ME and more of Stone's Good Stuff" Carpe Diem!

05-24-2005 00:52:21 | More by karst
atsprings

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

The beer poured a rich deep amber almost brown with a frothy head that slowly diminished but not completely and left great lacing on the glass. The aroma was of pine hops and burnt caramel. The taste is very well balanced between caramel and some brown malts along with earthy pine hops. They balance so well that both seem to dominate. The beer is medium bodied and although a little alcohol shows, it's not at all overbearing. This is one of my absolute favorite beers.

04-22-2007 03:09:07 | More by atsprings
melagnus

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Pours a deep copper color with a nice foamy head. Head retention is spot-on and leaves a wonderful residue (no lacing though) on the side of the glass as it recedes.

S - Instant smell of hops (Cascadian?) Balanced well in aroma with a malty smell at the end. Hops seem to dominate, though nothing out of style.

T - A very smooth taste across the palate with a bitter finish from the hops. Malts hit your tongue in the center of the palate to wash over with a bitter finish. Creaminess completely covering the tongue with a long subdue on the second swallow. Balance strikes me as more balanced than was the case upon first sample. Third sample exposes itself to a malty finish, though quickly subsides to expose the more aggressive hoppy-side.

M - Taste is similar to the smell, though more hoppy aromas are prevalent in the smell than in the taste. Very smooth, properly carbonated and well-balanced!

D - Extremely drinkable and a beer I could easily drink into the wee-hours of the night.

Definitely a highly recommended beer and by far one of my favorites. I'm enjoying it so much I wish I didn't use some it for my brussel sprout recipe!

Enjoy!

01-07-2009 03:24:43 | More by melagnus
markskar

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Man, I love the Arrogant One. Been drinking it for a long time, but haven't felt inspired to review until tonight.

A: Deep copper, somewhat dark but clear. Nice lacing, little head.

Smell: Wonderfully hoppy, hints of cantelope, honeydew, and oranges. I could huff this all night and be happy (though I think I'll drink it too).

Taste: Again, gotta stick with the melon theme in the flavor as well as the aroma. Couldn't put my finger on the taste until tonight, but I think it's best compared to honeydew melons. Perhaps the most delicious and well-balanced hoppy brew you will find in an American Beer (though Bigfoot could be my preference on another evening). The malty sweetness is there, but all I taste is sweet delicious melons.

M: Dry at first, but goes down smooth and sticky. Aromatic hoppy bitterness lingers, but in a lucsious, viscous way that isn't overbearing (despite the "Arrogant" self-proclamation). If overbearing is what you're looking for in a hop experience, go for Stone's Ruination--that's what it's made for!

D: One in a Billion in terms of drinkability. Every sip is a feast for the palate, and every sip is better than the last. I don't know of any other beer that I would say this for, even among my other favorites.

Am I Worthy? I don't really know, but God Damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Nasdrovia!

04-01-2009 02:23:33 | More by markskar
DookDrinkyCrow

Maryland

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer is exactly what it advertises. It packs a punch! Not at all ordinary, it pours a light cloudy brown. The smell is complex, with hops and malt present. Once you take a sip and it hits your belly, you have to drink the rest. It has a strong hop taste but finishes refreshing and has a luring aftertaste. Unless you appreciate finer tastes, "You're not worthy"TM

07-04-2009 00:16:00 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
kdawg105

Georgia

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Really good brew!! The appearance is super dark the color of the bottle it came from but is nice and frothy with a lace that hangs out the whole time. It is full of aroma with a lot of hops character. The mouthfeel is great very smooth which makes a perfect drinkability though it does finish kind of dry. I really enjoyed it.

02-25-2010 23:58:46 | More by kdawg105
godlessape

Georgia

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

I poured this one from a bomber to a pint glass.

Appearance: An Ice tea amber with a gorgeous half inch tan head that sank to less than a quarter and left a lot of lacing.

Smell: They say the style is American Strong Ale, but my nose tells me IPA. All grapefruit and grass.

Taste: I get a slight hint of roasted malt but it's almost eclipsed by the hop explosion that overwhelms the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. I know the abv is high but it still feels like a heavy pillow on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic ale. I'm an amateur home brewer and for my next batch I'm gonna try to recreate something like Arrogant Bastard Ale, or at least get somewhat close to it.

01-24-2011 04:25:55 | More by godlessape
Bogie

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer was spotted on this site in one of the Best catagories and had a very high rating so I thought I'd give it a try. First off I like this style of Ale so I have tried a number of Strong ales. So I go to Mr G's in Plano and pull that 22 oz bad boy out of the cooler and read the lable and was cracked up!!. Said to myself this has to be good. Put it in refrigerator
untill the next day. Friday I pour it into a pilsner glass and witness a beautiful glass of beer. The color was a nice copper, the head was thick and foamy with tight small bubbles and the stayed on and didn't dissipate at all. The taste was so smooth I couldn't believe I was drinking 7.2 % ale. This beer is so well brewed I could find no faults with. I am not sure if there are some Cigar smokers out there, if so this is the beer to enjoy with your best cigars. FS.

08-10-2002 09:24:19 | More by Bogie
yen157

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Sticky off-white head about 1/4 inch think. Dark, deep red in color. This was one of the most delicious smelling beers I've ever come across. Very fragrant hop aroma and plenty of other scents to keep the nose busy. Among them were toasted grains and fruit, mango I believe. The bitterness was huge at first, but after the first sip it seems appropriate due to the thick, dark malt flavor. The toastiness of the malt was certainly complimented by the lime-peel hop flavor. I noticed faint smoke somewhere in this complex brew. Somewhere towards the end of the extremely long finish, some retro-nasal coconut and diacetyl were noticed.

This was my first experience with the beer and the brewery. I’m glad to say that it all lived up to the hype. Thanks to TXHops for the beer.

01-01-2003 18:58:23 | More by yen157
FishHeadLover

Tennessee

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

This (obviously) is one of my favorite beers to drink on a regular basis.
A- Dark amber color with a good white head that laces around the glass. I love the way this beer looks.
S- Aggresive hop odor, very aggresive hop odor. Everytime I drink this beer, and I drink it often, I forget how hoppy it is and it always brings a smile to my face.
T- WOW!! So stong and hoppy. I get a piny after taste with a bite in the back of my mouth. Yum!
M- Once its in your mouth you know its a stong ale and you can definatly tell the ABV. Makes your tounge happy before destroying your tastebuds.
D- Yes Yes YES!! Sorry I just really enjoy this beer. I recomend it to anyone who mentions they like a hoppy beer.

01-07-2009 01:55:35 | More by FishHeadLover
GordonQuid

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

On tap to a pint glass. I realize I am fortunate to have this avialable to me on tap being from the mid-west. Thanks Daddy O's!

Deep burgundy, mahagony with a tight half inch head and thick lacing.

Smells of dark fruit, pine needles and citrus rinds. A great roasty caramel sweetness is also present in the nose.

Taste is crisp, clean citurs-piney hop with sweet cara malts and belgian sugars. Damn good!

This is a superior drinker. Easy going down and complexingly satisfactory to the palate.

Kicks ass!

08-14-2009 20:29:24 | More by GordonQuid
jageraholic

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

In bottle....guess it's a Stone day. Served in an IRS tulip. Best buy date of June 2nd, so it could be fresher, but I believe Stone to know when their beer will shit out by.

Appearance: very amber. Inch head with aggressive pour (yeah, on purpose). Dissapates and leaves a thin white line of head above the amber beer. Swirls magnificently, looks like a beautiful ocean wave with the bubbles floating up to the top.

Aroma: some sweet biscuit malt, but mostly piney hops with a little grapefruit in the background. I know the grapefruit is more prominent fresh.

Taste: hops. Grapefruit and pine. Followed by some malty sweetness and a finish of piney bitterness with a little citrus in the background.

Mouthfeel: thick in the mouth without filling me up. Could go back to back with this bomber. Perfect carbonation. Smooth beer but has a prickly carbonation to unbalance it which seems perfect.

Overall: Hot damn! I am worthy you bastards! I absolutely love this beer. Perfect unbalance of hops and malt. Heavy but not too heavy, could drink this all day but this will ruin a palate far more than ruination. Read the back story, what a fantasic mistake! Parts of this beer arent perfect but as a whole this beer cant get any better. Perfection. Enthusiastic 5!!

05-10-2013 19:46:00 | More by jageraholic
Hops4Pops

22 oz bomber
A: Side poured into a pint beer mug. Large, 3 finger head, tannish off-white in color. Very slowly receding leaving a sticky glue-like lacing on side of mug and creating a pillowy cloud-like head as it recedes. Lacing is staying put all the way through finishing the mug.Reflective light reveals a dark brown chocolate color. Shining a light through the beer reveals a slightly hazy, dark red amber color. Carbonation is excellent. Bubbles are from foam sized tiny up to a cluster of large bubbles in center of glass up to 1/4 inch. An absolutely beautiful beer.
S: Resiny citrus hops, grapefruity, malt, a slight sweetness. Very nice, very balanced smelling. Nothing stands out a lot. Perhaps the hops stand out more pronounced than anything else which is a bit of a surprise considering it is not an IPA. Nonetheless it is very nice.
T: Same notes as smell but pretty much in reverse order. Slightly sweet malt flavor followed by hops and a crisp slightly dry finish followed by a lingering bittersweet aftertaste of toffee, caramel and coffee. Awesome. Very balanced. Only a hint of alcohol in the taste.
M: Smooth and creamy up front with a crisp bite in the background followed by a tingly feel on the tongue and a slight warmth from the ABV. Very much inviting me to take another quaff.
O: An excellent American Strong Ale. Because the characteristics for this style are so wide of a range, it absolutely fits the style even though the ABV is on the low end of the scale. A excellent ale. Near perfect. I love it. This beer has the right to call itself Arrogant Bastard in my humble opinion.

01-02-2014 05:07:55 | More by Hops4Pops
Dmann

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow! After all of my friends hyping this beer up I took the plunge and and I ever glad I did! This has got to be the best smelling beer I have ever had. After I poured it, I let it sit for awhile and warm a bit and took in the aroma that had hints of pine and carmel. The beer bursted with flavor once it hit my mouth and just opened up, dominated by hops but I could taste the malt sneek in there before the great hoppy finnish. I'm glad this is a year 'round brew because it will be a regular in my fridge from now on.

01-11-2003 01:52:52 | More by Dmann
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

I had this wonderful brew in 22oz. form poured into a tulip glass. The color is a super deep ruby red, probably the deepest red hue I've ever seen. This color is just breathtaking. The pour gives a good 1 finger of head, that fades away to a small line very slowly, and leaves a fair amount of lace down the glass as I drink it. The smell wasn't what I expected. It had a sweet fruitiness to it, which was very pleasantly mixed with hop aroma. The taste starts off sweet, with a bite of citrus, grapefruit I'm thinking. The finish is all hops, but not too bitter. This is a beer that is in perfect malt/hop harmony. I really love it. The mouthfeel is a little soft for a strong ale though. The drinkability of this beer is very high, even at 7.2%ABV. I wish I wouldn't have bought the store's last bottle!

05-08-2003 07:31:28 | More by SheepNutz
treedoctor5002

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

As I pour this beer I remember how grateful I am to Stone for finally coming to Michigan. How lucky am I to be able to try all these great beers!
This beer pours a dark red amber color with a huge head that last forever...literally, with tons of nice lacing.
Smell is a nice roasted malt/carmel/fruity flavor. Very complex. I sure hope it tastes this good.
Wow! The sweetness of this beer is very nice. I can taste some pineapple/grapefruit and some nice malt flavors coming throught. The finish is dry with some of those great west coast hops really shining through. This beer sure has a lot going on! I think this might be one of the best beers that I have tried.

11-04-2006 23:58:44 | More by treedoctor5002
Baraka

Missouri

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Dark shade of brown with a substantial head that leaves beautiful lacing on the glass

S: Carmel, biscuit, citrusy hops. Intense smell.

T/M: Really hoppy to start but finishes with a delicious carmel sweetness. Wow, I'm kind of blown away by this beer. The hop bite is substantial- resiny bitterness abounds, but this is balanced with an impressive malt profile. Thick, complex mouthfeel that really allows the complexity of this brew to shine. A bit of an alcohol warming, but the ABV is concealed rather well with all of the other flavors.

D: This is one of the best beers I've ever had, and if Stone distributed to Missouri, a beer that would regularly be in my fridge. Extremely complex and delicious.

07-03-2010 23:40:42 | More by Baraka
bymyheelicarenot

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

I will always have a big heart for this beer,it was the first real beer that got me into real beer. To this day it is still my gold standard for beer. App its a dark ruby amber it has a strong smell piney in the front and in the back. It just tastes like o this is what a beer is sour at the start super piney at the end,great thick mouthfeel. Everyone should drink this atleast twice.

04-09-2011 04:53:57 | More by bymyheelicarenot
sinistersteve

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Heed the warning on the label non-believers, because this is one tough beer that is only meant for the big boys. The pour was dark and thick, the head was dark and thick, and the taste is like a malt explosion in your mouth. Stone is probably the God's of mixing water, hops, malt and yeast together. They haven't failed me yet.

08-23-2002 16:44:00 | More by sinistersteve
becktone

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer looks great and also looks very appetizing when poured out of the bottle and into a glass. It has a dark brown reddish color and is crystal clear. When held up to the light the nice red color comes out very nicely. It froms a beautiful large head when poured that never gets smaller than about a 1/4 of an inch. The creamy head also has a good amount of lacing which adds to its appetizing look. I don't think that they look much better than this.

The aroma of this beer can be characterized by one word, hops. The aroma of hops is overwhelming in this brew, it dominates not only the smell of this beer but the flavor as well.

If you like really hoppy beers then I think that you'll love this one. There is almost no hint of any malty or sweet flavor in this beer. There is a small malt flavor but it is really unbalanced by the amount of hop flavor this beer has. Other than that I can't really describe the flavor of this beer. I taste something that lingers in my mouth afterwards that reminds me of wood, like I have been chewing on a stick or something.

This beer feels good on the palate. It is a full bodied beer and feels heavy on the palate. The level of carbonation is low, which is in my opinion appropriate to the style. It is not a beer that can be chugged, rather it has to be drunk over time. Its a great brew to sit down and enjoy. This beer is really a gem, one of the best brews I have ever had, I'll always respect the bastard and will always find myself coming back to this brew again and again. It is definitely worth the money and a try. Go ahead and see if you're worthy.

11-24-2005 16:50:27 | More by becktone
trep

West Virginia

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Mother of God, thanks to Stone for making this delicious beer.

Pours from the 22 dark red, like beet juice. Nice blonde colored head foams up and as it settles leaves a nice bit of lacing around the top of the goblet. Dark brown and clear, with the tan head sitting atop it, it looks like some yum.

Smells of grapefruit, flowers, piney and citrus hops dominate the aroma. Alcohol in the nose, doesn't take away from the beer in the least bit. Cereal malts in the background, but very faint. Smells wonderful I really can't say enough about the grapefruit smelling hop character. Juicy is really the only word that does it justice.

Refreshing hop bite initially that lasts forever and a day. A schpeil of flavors present themselves through out the bitterness. Pine, sweet fruits, and citrusy hops are very prevalent. Sweet malts give the hops a nice backbone to hold it up. To me, the feel of this Bastard on my pallate is perfect. Not syrupy, but not thin either. A bit chewy, but you won't need your spoon to drink this. About as close as you can get to perfection.

This beer would have been all 5's if it would have been a bit easier to drink. The hop bitterness really lasts throughout and destroys your pallate. But it is worth it. Without question one of my top 5 of all time.

04-25-2006 00:06:46 | More by trep
Brad007

Vermont

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

One of the beers in a trade with Nathan15.

Beer pours a nice reddish hue with ample head. Aroma is very strong and malty, even hoppy.You can easily tell that this one is gonna be a slobberknocker. The taste starts out all innocent and malty but once it hits the back of the throat, the alcohol comes into play, leaving a nice but dry aftertaste. However, I detected a hint of raisin in the beer, if not much.

Strong, malty and definitely not like anything I've had from around this area. I can easily see why beers from the Stone Brewing Company are held in such high regard. I especially like the aftertaste it leaves. Very good!

05-18-2007 02:31:07 | More by Brad007
sabinelr

Washington

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

I bought this at Cost Plus on a special occasion (1 year anniversary at my job). I was intimidated by the commentary on the label, but after a bottle, I said to myself "This is what beer should be." A slight bitter taste reminding me of orange peel, but enough to make it beer and not something ghastly. The smell makes you think "I'm getting into something dangerous." The aftertaste says "give me another bottle, and don't ruin this by eating anything." This is the Owsley acid of beer. Don't ever be content with anything less unless you are cheap or poor.

10-08-2007 22:22:06 | More by sabinelr
Grimes

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

I've had this beer many times on tap, but for fear of coming across as the pretentious a$$hole in the bar, I have yet to review it. I finally found it bottled and decided to give it my utmost attention.

I smelled it first in the bottle because I couldn't wait, and my mouth is watering.

Pours a deep, dark amber with a pillowy off-white head.

Smells of huge amounts of piney hopsand bright citrus notes. If only I could find a cologne with a similar smell, I'd probably spend many a night home alone :)

Taste is sweet and bright with a powerful hops bite at the very end.

I'm in love with this beer. If Stone has a musician endorsement program, someone please let me know because I would drink this beer on stage every night!

03-26-2008 22:21:23 | More by Grimes
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.