2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,485 | Reviews: 2,740 | Show All Ratings:
tburus

Kentucky

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured into oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Muted, transparent red color. Light carbonation. Thin but complete head.

Smell: Initially hoppy and citrusy smell with something indiscernible. As it warmed a cherry aroma really came out.

Taste: Clear hoppy taste. Quick cherry flavor, but not nearly as much as the smell had me hoping for. Bitter.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness largely went away unlike IPAs like 90 Minute. A little too watery for my taste. Nothing very enjoyable lingering in the mouth.

Drinkability: Definitely strong, and if you like hops it is probably up your alley. Alcohol really hits you, though not very present in the nose or taste. Overall, for the price, taste, and fact that it is only in a bomber, I probably won't find myself picking this up too often.

12-14-2010 07:27:09 | More by tburus
heygeebee

Australia

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From Warners - BB around now.

One of those beers... it looks the part all deep brown/red, with a fabulous looking head, lace and retention, the aromas are maybe just a little muted, and then the well balanced, complex, rounded taste hits you and ...

you just really don't like it.

Ah well, too treacly, a bit too dry.

Apart from that, I can't fault it :-)

12-20-2013 23:47:47 | More by heygeebee
cbl2

Note: On tap @ The Chapter House, Ithaca, NY 6-25-04

Appearance:

Crystal clear ruby-brown with 1/4" tan head that has good retention.
Smell:

Nice floral bouquet. Very hoppy with almost no malt presence.
Taste/Mouthfeel:

I thought my taste buds had changed enough to enjoy this, but I was wrong. Pure hoppy bitterness through and through. Some candied fruit/grapefruit emerge 3/4 of the way through, but it's too little too late.

06-28-2004 15:04:23 | More by cbl2
longarm

Maryland

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich and deep brown color with a thick yellow-brown head of foam that generated excellent lacing. Good consistent carbonation.

Aroma dominated by combination of flowery and piney hops. A strong malty backbone brings a little sweetness to the nose as well.

I was expecting a super-bitter, bad-ass brew. Not that I'm disappointed, but it's a little more balanced than I expected. Undoubtedly the hops play a leading role in this beer, delivering a healthy dose of bitter pine. The bitter burn fades a little in the middle, only to appear again at the end for a big kick, if perhaps a bit hot.

The mouthfeel of this beer falls apart. I guess they warn you with the name, but I can't say that I like it. The bitterness takes over too much and scrubs the lining off of the inner part of my mouth.

Somewhat drinkable beer in spite of the name. Don't be afraid, just a little skeptical. I've heard great things from Stone and this might be the first brew of theirs that I've had. I look forward to trying more from this brewery.

01-01-2006 23:47:26 | More by longarm
scorched

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a 1 pt 6 fluid oz bottle into a glass...

The color is quite nice. A deep amber color, which almost looks like barley wine. Unfortunately, this is not barley wine. The head doesn't stick around that long, no matter how hard you pour it.

The smell is interesting, to say the least. A very yeasty smell, with some sweet malt smell, and a definite hop presence. Not sure what the IBU is here, but its definitely high. Not quite balanced with the malt profile.

The taste like I said before, is unbalanced, and very hoppy. Hoppy beers are my forte, but I'm not sure I can get into this one so well.

The mouthfeel is heavily carbonated, as one would expect with an ale, not smooth at all.

Not really that drinkable, due to the overly carbonated profile and unbalanced profile... Just like the bottle says, I probably won't like it... well, I'll give it a "why the hell not."

01-23-2007 05:14:48 | More by scorched
PittBeerGirl

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

A- Nice deep red/amber body with thick creamy head.

S- very malty with hints of hops. I thought the smell was rather pungent.

T- I had a bomber of this and everytime I sipped I noticed something different. There was obviously a hoppy finish that remained on the palate. The hops all together were good but the aftertaste was a bit unpleasant. There are subtle hints of dark fruit and chocolate and of course a nice malt backing. What I liked the best about this brew was a nice spicy flavor that lasts thrroughout it. Carmel can be noticed when there is a great length between sips.

M- well done. medium carbonation and medium weight body. Feels good in the mouth.

D- it was different. Not an everyday thing for me. One bomber is enough for at least the next month.

This beer is above average overall-but a little bit over hyped. There are hoppier, more complex, not for the "faint of heart" brews out there. This just didn't live up to my expectations. I will probably have it again. I do not hate it nor am I in love with it.

05-03-2007 03:18:29 | More by PittBeerGirl
sstackho

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

22oz bottle, no freshness date noted. Pours a clear medium brown with little carbonation but lots of head. Strong malty aroma with a good dose of hops on the nose as well. The flavour is less interesting than I was hoping for. Heavy on the malts and not as much hops as I thought there might be, although the hop taste does seem to grow as the beer goes on. I'm afraid I can't rate the Arrogant Bastard nearly as high as most people here - perhaps just not my type.

06-20-2007 04:05:49 | More by sstackho
elgiacomo

Georgia

Aug 5, 2007

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark reddish brown with a nice 1 finger light tan head that dissipates to a light covering, but retains to the bottom of the glass. Excellent lacing.

Aroma is okay...something about it is a little off for me though.

Flavor is nice with grapefruit, piney hops. Somewhat sweet, moreso as it warms. Little bit of alcohol kick, but not too bad.

Smooth, full mouthfeel without too much carbonation.

A strong beer, it certainly gets your attention...

01-10-2010 21:45:38 | More by elgiacomo
morebeergood

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

We went out to dinner with friends on a Friday night in the South End at the Stork Club. The only interesting beers on tap were Ipswich Ale and Arrogant Bastard, so I went with ABA as the first beer of the night. Looking back online, I know I've had this beer before, but I am now surprised that I have never reviewed it. Anyway, it was served in a pint glass. Very dark red color. Rich and creamy looking head. Not much smell was noticed. Taste is what you expect from a Stone beer: quality through and through. Nice mix of hops and malt, with a hint of sugar to brighten things up. The only thing that caught me off guard was the mouthfeel. While I liked it, it was much more creamier than I remembered. My wife also had a pint, and she swore it drank like a Guinness. Do they do ABA on nitro tap? Because that is what it tasted like. Didn't expect that, from Stone or this restaurant. Problem with the tap line perhaps? I don't know, but I need to try this again somewhere else to see if I am going crazy or maybe I just haven't had this beer in a while. I liked this beer, but it left me puzzled.

02-01-2010 17:40:25 | More by morebeergood
TheSevenDuffs

"Enjoy by" date of 9/26/10
Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Medium brown colour with a slight amber glow and two fingers of creamy cream-coloured head.

S - Some bitter hops up front with light citrus and piney notes. A sweet caramel malt profile rounds out the nose.

T - A nice better hope bite up front with some citrus and pine notes. There is a sweet caramel malt flavour that blances this out nicely. The bitter hops linger in the finish. Overall a good palate but a little to malty for me.

D - A good beer but it got a little boring to me after a while.

09-22-2010 23:11:37 | More by TheSevenDuffs
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

The head is thick and frothy, very nice...it stayed even until the last drink. The color is dark brown with an amber hue to it. The smell is slightly roasty, slightly sweet and a little musky. The taste is very hoppy/musky and powerful. It tastes a bit old. The mouthfeel is a little lacking, it's a bit harsh. Overall I will try this one again, but it's not my session beer.

01-07-2007 13:05:00 | More by Erdinger2003
tj4288

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

poured from a bomber into a large wine glass
a- the bottle is awesome, and the cap even said "you're not worthy!" lol . beautiful slightly cloudy dark amber color, average size head that hangs around, with excellent lacing. very inviting

s- about average, i was surprised at the lack of smell for an american strong ale. but the smell i did pick up was roasty and pine, coffee-like.

t- very well balanced, honey, mollasses, burnt toast. only SLIGHTLY bitter kick in the front followed by a dry finish

m- heavy, thick, medium carbonation

d- goes down fairly easy but i dont know if i would actually search for this beer to purchase it again

05-24-2009 22:05:36 | More by tj4288
ChrisPro

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle from Bottleworks tasted blind.

Pours a dark amber with light tan bubbly head.

Honey, molasses and alcohol aroma.

Strong sweet honey flavor balanced well with light bitterness.

Thick, syrupy but a good finish.

Overall, a very solid brew. I'm sure if I had this 10 years ago I would've been blown away by it, but as it is, it's very well made and still relatively unique.

08-12-2010 03:51:20 | More by ChrisPro
SWMeyer4141

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

Reading that bottle 4 years ago was an experience, I had to try it. Since then I pick up an Arogant Bastard every now and then. Saw a bomber for 3.99 earlier so figured I would pick it up and drink half before and half during dinner.

Appearance-Dark dark red color. Light brown colored, creamy head that leaves a lot of lacing. No matter how the smell or taste is, this beer is one of the best looking beers I've seen.

Smell-I can smell a sweet, burnt caramel with some hops lingering in the backround. I don't get too much citrus which i thought It had but get some darkfruits, I actually can get some barleywine characteristics. I little spicier though, some clove sneaking through.

Taste-Malty, bready/yeasty. You get some sweetness at the forefront and the hops come through at the end. I get some raisons as well. It's not bad, but just not as complex as i remembered it last.

Mouthfeel-Medium-Full bodied which goes down very smooth. Back of the throat gets the hops and a dryness which makes you going back.

Overall-Four years ago I would have said this is the craziest, most intense beer ever, but now it's kind of average to me. The look is amazing, but the smell/taste are getting weaker to my palate. Stone does a great job at promoting their craft beers by their intense marketing campaign, but it's almost getting a little bit old to me. I would prefer some other offerings such as the Sublimely Self-Rightous ale and Ruination.

I'm still confused, b/c I know this beer has more to offer then a B-, will review one day next week.

03-24-2011 02:01:35 | More by SWMeyer4141
Kubus

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

1 Pint bottle ( or whatever imaginary measure America conjured up in its wild past) poured into a rocks glass. Before anyone screams blasphemy I'm in a hotel, it's the best I could do.

A: Copper red colour, looks really promising. Good layer of foam, disappeared pretty quick, but the colour is enchanting.

S: Hops, Hops, Hops.

T: Starts off nicely with an average sort of ale taste, then come the hops. Aggressive, mean hops. Hordes and hordes of hops, assaulting my mouth, sending signals to my brains to GET THIS DOWN OR OUT! NOW! I gulped it down slowly, it gets tough halfway, but finishes better

M: Heavy, like a dying star. Sip, don't gulp.

O: Well I drank this mean motherfucker, and didn't regret it. Good as an aperitif. More of a feature than a headliner. If you want
something bitter, I would personally choose Southern Tier's IPA or 2XIPA, but definitely try it if you see it.

07-11-2011 06:25:41 | More by Kubus
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

I am not worthy. F-that. I just don't need a kick in the teeth.

This beer is a crystal clear lovely amber with a nice tawny head. The chinook hops are too heavy-handed, making the aroma a one-trick pony. A bit of dark fruity crystal malt sweetness is subtly noticeable as the beer warms, but the hop bitterness is beyond my liking, and seems to impart astringency that strips moisture from my epithelial cells.

01-01-2012 15:00:31 | More by pweis909
WrathsU

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

A - Ruby red perfectly clear body with slightly off white very thick head. Long lasting head and good apparent lacing.

S - Carmel malts and toffee up front pretty strongly. A decently malty body with a not as strong hop aroma to it. Kind of let down with the hop aroma.

T - Dark malts without a roast flavor throughout. A lot of malt up front with a good bitterness kick towards the middle and in the end. Finishes with a slight vegetal taste which is undesirable.

M - Medium-heavy bodied with good carbonation level and low alcohol burn.

O - A pretty mediocre beer in taste. It hides its alcohol good, and has good attributes, but when it comes down to taste I am slightly disappointed with it.

04-28-2012 01:24:54 | More by WrathsU
ThreeDimesDown

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

A dark cherry, clear pour with a nice beige head that dissipates to a lingering remnant providing nice lacing till the end.

Aromas of hops, citrus and pine are most powerful with hints of caramel.

The taste is bigger than the nose with hops (citrus and piney) up front but not overbearing. Caramel maltiness mellows the hops a bit. Bittering hops are strong leaving a dry, sticky finish.

For a higher ABV, the mouthfeel is smooth with the constant small bubble carbonation. Light to medium with an almost creamy feel.

Drinking this one that is two weeks from "best by" date, so the hops are in the forefront. It's a good drink and can imagine it pairing nicely with a big flavor meal. But not necessarily a brew I'd have a session with.

04-04-2010 00:25:52 | More by ThreeDimesDown
macrosmatic

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at Mellow Mushroom (Brandon). Served in a pint glass.

A: Very dark copper to brown, not quite clear, with a half-finger of off-white creamy head and low visible carbonation.

S: Malty, toasty sweetness, somewhat boozy, and touches of nuts and toffee.

T: Big toasty malt, significant booze, and light hop bitterness. Some booze and malt sweetness in the hang.

M: Medium body, but lighter than I expected. Alcohol quite noticeable, and more so that I expected given the relatively modest ABV. Medium carbonation sensation.

O: I am real disappointed in this one. I thought that I'd had this one before and enjoyed it; I remember enjoying the Oaked Arrogant Bastard. But this particular example - not doing it for me. Malty and boozy, and not in a good way. EDIT: Reading some other reviews, I'm wondering if this was old or just a bad batch. I got almost no hop flavors/bitterness, let alone aroma. Guess I'll really have to try it again and see if it's better the next time around. Will update review if it changes significantly.

06-03-2013 13:30:36 | More by macrosmatic
DrCDPriest

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting name and imaginative backstory for the beer. I've tried it on different occasions, and have found it fairly consistent in what to expect from this brew.

Appearance - Pours a clear deep amber, more to the brown tint. In using a pint glass it had a nice head, about a finger an a half, and a small amount of lacing.

Aroma - You can smell the hops upon opening, very high hop nose with a bit of spiciness. If you love hops, the aroma won't disappoint you.

Taste - The taste truly follows the aroma. It tastes as it smells which helps you appreciate the distinct series of flavors. It begin with hops, a bit of spicy malt followed by what I'd describe as a bitter citrus grapefruit effect.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium body feel, a little on the flat side (on multiple occasions from different shops), and seems very light in the carbonation, a bit more might help those middle malt flavors pop a bit more.

Overall - This is a very nice beer for those loving a strong hop experience with bitter citrus after tones. Definitely an enjoyable experience.

Serving type: Bottle poured into a pint glass.

02-02-2014 19:21:42 | More by DrCDPriest
andjusticeforale

Connecticut

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

This poured pretty nice out the bomber bottle, and was a dark amber brown color.

The first thing that hits you is a bitter grapefruit taste. This lingers and lingers and envelopes upon sip after sip and is bitter and never complex or sweet.

There is no real true malt that can be distinguished, because of the bitterness.

Admittedly I am not the biggest fan of hoppy beers, but this is pretty crazy. There is a distinct lack of balance. When you drink a saison you can get sour and sweet, or a well crafted IPA you get intense bitterness and sweet or malt or heft to balance but not. here.

Oh yeah; I read the bottle; I have tried numerous beers from all over the world, and I wouldn't rank this one very highly, or as outstanding, despite the bottle.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but this beer is a bit of smoke and mirrors I am afraid, or is it emperors new clothes?

10-16-2005 13:18:08 | More by andjusticeforale
mrasskicktastic

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Reddish brown with a one and a half finger head that leaves thick lacing all down the glass.

S - Sweet caramel malt, strong pine hops - not much else.

T - Bitter immediately. Mostly bitter pine hops with a bit of grapefruit pith bitterness too. It almost tastes sour, but I think it is just a side effect of the bitterness.

M - Thin, a little harsh, pretty refreshing.

D - Alright. If you love bittering hops, then this is for you. I think it could use a bit more depth in flavor to be a truly great beer, but a great delivery of what I believe the brewer is intending this to be.

01-19-2007 02:13:34 | More by mrasskicktastic
Jerico

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured this into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - A pretty, dark beer with a fluffy, dense head.

S - Potent, dense, malty and a distant fruit taste - almost like raisins and caramel forced on top of each other. This beer wants you to know you are about to drink it.

T - Heavy and malty and dense. The aftertaste I got from it was unpleasant, almost salty. Call me one of the unworthy.

M - Creamy and heavy, it sticks on your tongue for a while.

D - I fall in the minority on this beer. Complex and beefy, yes. But the salty taste does not appeal to my taste buds. The advertising punches above it's weight.

04-07-2008 01:12:33 | More by Jerico
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 1/19/2008 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown colored body, with a brownish head that is big & lasting. Has a very bitter hoppy aroma. Wow sourness in the mouth. Very bitter dry, malty sour taste. Almost acidic. Warming. I didn't like this beer so much before, but now, it's growing on me.

11-05-2008 03:57:15 | More by jujubeast6000
DrinkinBoy

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Stone Arrogant Bastard pours a very clear dark amber color. The head is light tan and has great retention.

Its aroma has notes of caramel, roasted nut, and toffee.

The taste starts off sweet, but the mid palate is quickly passed by into a overwhelming hop bitterness. There are no distinct flavors just a tongue thrashing of bitterness. This taste lingers on the palate for minutes.

The mouthfeel is heavy and the carbonation is nice and subtle which helps balacne out the tanins from the hops.

Like any extrememly hopped West Coast beer I can't imagine drinking more than one without tongue fatigue more like exhaustion.

Overall it is worth a try to get a feel for what this really cool brewery can do.

03-27-2011 04:08:56 | More by DrinkinBoy
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.