2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,470 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
doppelmeup

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Had this from a bomber in an oversized wine glass.

Looked very nice. Dark ruby and garnet colored with a 3/8 inch head that continually refreshed when I swirled the glass. A nice ring of lacing slowly drifted down the glass each time.

Grassy hops aroma, with hints of grapefruit and pine and alcohol.

Taste was very hoppy with a stiff malt backbone and quite a lot of grass flavor and grapefruit as well. Very bitter. It reminded me of Dogfishhead 90 IPA. I was excited to try this beer, but was dissappointed in how hopped up it was. I'm not a fan of highly hopped beer, so I didn't care for this that much. It was obviously a quality beer, but not my style. To quote from the label, apparently I'm not worthy to drink it!!

Nice mouthfeel. Warming from the alcohol, which wasn't hidden that well.

Overall, I wouldn't drink this again, but I think that people who like this style of beer would like it.

05-10-2006 15:33:10 | More by doppelmeup
saskguy

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

(march 2005, just wanted to say I saw bottle of this being sold at the Fogg & Suds in Kamloops for $50 each!!!! It is a bit of a gimmick by them, but they actually sell a few each month!!! They get to keep the bottlel)

I wanted to like this beer, but it did not do it for me.

The head was good and it had a rich dark colour. There was a moderate malt aroma.

Had a moderate mouth feel.

I can not quite place the malt flavour and I am not sure of the hopping. I could not tell if it wanted to be a stong ale or an IPA or a Belgium....

12-04-2003 21:13:57 | More by saskguy
Cresant

Kentucky

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

Pour from a 22 oz. bomber into a Stone IPA glass. Leather brown body and a tan three fingers head. Body looked like whisky--clear and refraction-y.

Sweet malt and alcohol aroma. ETOH candy.

Tasted of sweet dried fruit invaded by hop bitters. Licorice-like. Alcohol flavor increased as it warmed.

Medium bodied texture.

Complex yet not difficult to drink or enjoy. A little too sweet for me.

07-05-2006 21:34:57 | More by Cresant
HeroJH

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

I like the smell much more than the taste of this one. I see that Stone is going for Arrogant bitterness on this one, and that's fine to me. Personally, I like a little more complexity. I can see liking this beer, and I'd order it on tap depending on what else I saw but I don't think I'd buy it to take home. Though maybe I'd try it again because I seem to remember it having more flavor the other times I've tried it... hmm. It has a threat on the bottle that says if you don't like it, this beer wasn't made for you. Which is neat. But I feel that more people would grade this higher just to fit in. Taking an honest look at that flavor this beer shouldn't get an A in the taste category, especially when comparing it to others that have full complex amazing flavor.

A - Copper Red, hazy at first when it was too cold and then cleared up. Tan head, good foam, lacing and retention. I like it.

S - Really nice, seems to be a few things going on there. Nuts, peanut brittle!, dark caramel. Nice hops throughout.

T - Here's where it went downhill for me. I wish that it tasted as good as it smelled and looked. It's so bitter that if I didn't let it warm it up and really concentrated I wasn't getting anything else. But there is at the end some toastyness, a hint of oaky. And I supposed the bitterness could contain some pineapple acidity. But overall, the complexity is nothing near the smell, which is usual, but there was a big difference to me on this one. It was mostly just bitter without even hop flavor.

M - just bitter.

D - too bitter without anything else to keep my interest. Trust me I like bitter, but I like a little more fullness in the hop profile if it's going to try to blow me away.

02-02-2009 17:19:51 | More by HeroJH
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Dark red and kinda clear with huge 3finger rocky off white head that faded to one finger with great lacing. Looks delicious.

S: A touch fruity with lots of toasty malts. Slightly hoppy, not the most fragrant beer.

T: Bitter from start to finish but not in a bad way. Dark malt and hops is about all I can taste on this one. Not sure if the fruityness is just on the nose or if the bitterness is overpowering it. Good stuff but not something I would keep as a standby. leaves a long strong bitter on the tongue like a NWIPA (Total Domination by Ninkasi comes to mind since I am from Eugene)

M: Medium body with good carbonation, goes down easy.

O: Good beer, when I want something that is pretty bitter I will go to this one for sure. Beautiful looking beer that dark red is sexy.

03-13-2012 01:04:18 | More by N3rdM3t4l
BierReise

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a beautiful dark amber color with a nice fluffy orangy-beige head. Piney, citrusy hoppy fragrance smells great. Very velvety feel, very smooth on the palate and tasting very bitter with almost an ESB type of bitterness to it that lingers for quite awhile. In fact it doesn't want to let go. Real nice malt but obviously overpowered by bitterness. Name suits it well, arrogantly bitter. Bitter Bitter Bitter!

05-03-2003 21:25:22 | More by BierReise
Bierschenker

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to Mzwolinski for flying it over!
It pours in a nice dark red ale with a thick creamy head. The head has some brownness.
I poured it in an octagonal Hoegaarden glass.
I was surprised by the smell, I really think it resembles rebarber pie. A sweet sugary vegetable odour.
The taste is (luckily) less overpowering than the Stone IPA. It does have some similar elements. The taste of the used hops for example. It has a very strong dry caramel malt experience. No trace at all of yeast, spices or fruits. Just the peculiar vegetal flavour.
The aftertaste keeps a very strong hop bitterness and malt taste. That is preceded by a striking vegetable juice tone.
Very full bodied beer, new experience for me, but nothing special.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-23-2005 20:16:57 | More by Bierschenker
ttu94

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Comes out of the bottle a dark hazy brown. Has a very good malt colored head with average retention. Smell is hoppy and malty at the same time. The first thing I taste is lots of malt followed by lots of hop. A very hop bitter beer. I think it needs something else. I like Stone IPA much better. (Why does only California know that cadmium can cause birth defects).

05-27-2007 00:51:05 | More by ttu94
BeerBelcher

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I can't believe I haven't rated this beer (until now)! I've put down quite a few bitter and high-ABV beers in my time on earth (and hope to have many more in my remaining time!), yet I still find this beer a bit difficult to drink. It is a substantial beer, and while I like the strong hop bitterness, there is a robust maltiness that when combined with the hoppiness feels like a punch in the mouth to me. I might have enjoyed it more if I had not been having it with food, and if it were my first beer of the evening rather than my 3rd and final one. Appearance is surprisingly red and head is sturdy. Aroma is serious hoppiness (with some nice fruity under-tones) and a substantial maltiness that comes across as to me as metallic, caramel-y, and bitter in a non-hoppy way.

I had this on-tap at the Houston Flying Saucer Draught House and Emporium.

05-01-2008 12:22:45 | More by BeerBelcher
ktrillionaire

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Reddish mahogany hue, off-white head, huge blanketing lacing.

S - There is an unwelcome aroma in the nose, I didn't write it down when I could specifically identify it, so as of now it is just a generally unwelcome aroma taking down the overall dynamic.

T - The taste is simply malt and hop, and quite unspectacular. The hop is nice on the outro, and that about sums up the highlights of the taste for me.

M - Big feel, viscous, well-carbonated.

D - Like a average Sierra Nevada product. Yes, a average. I didn't learn me not no nothing in school. That didn't stop me from preparing for the BA misspelling bee, with my eyes on the prize.

05-07-2010 07:31:56 | More by ktrillionaire
9InchNails

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Arrogant Bastard on tap at the Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant in South Orange, NJ

Reddish amber in color. A nice, more on the white side of khaki color head. Looks quite creamy as the head settles. A noticable amount of lacing on the glass.

Not really impressed with the smell maybe a slight metalic aroma and hoppy.

Smooth and creamy. Carbonation isn't over the top. Leaves the mouth dry.

This is quite bitter. The hops are very noticable, smacks you right in the face! I think they're some subtle dry fruits... maybe grapes? Very piney. A slight boozy taste, there's a pretty high alcohol content to not notice the taste.

Quite heavy for an ale after it sits. Maybe one or two of these, that's it!

I've had this in a bottle before but it's a whole new experience and a lot better on tap. Less of the metalic flavoring and smell when it is on tap, so it's more enjoyable.

11-17-2010 04:39:46 | More by 9InchNails
OatherS

Kansas

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Big 1pt6oz bottle with no label but a devil drinking a beer printed on the bottle.

A: Not much head, nice dark amber color.

S: Hops very present.

T: Hoppy and sneeze inducing flavor. Bitter as well. Very strong flavor.

M: Fine.

D: I can understand why that this is a highly ranked beer, but I personally do not think highly of this beer.

07-08-2005 02:40:17 | More by OatherS
NJpadreFan

Stone- Arrogant Bastard Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a small thick tan head. Heavy lacing through half the pint.
Smell- lots of roasted hops slight pine.
Taste- toasted/ roasted hops- very strong, slight floral/ pine hop taste. Thick maltiness as well.
Mouthfeel- thick, oily, slight alcohol presence, a pleasent aftertaste but a little rough at first.

Overall- my 2nd time having the Arrogant bastard and it was better this time around. Still a little tough on my taste buds. My 2 hardcore craft beer drinking years aren't enough yet to really appriciate this beer, or I simply just don't think its all that!?!
I was expecting strong floral/ citrus hops (which I now love) and didn't quite get it. Worth a pint but not a 6er or case.

12-03-2005 16:06:12 | More by NJpadreFan
charlzm

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Consumed 07/02/08 at some place I can't remember the name of in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a dark copper/brown. Good carbonation leads to a nice white head with some lacing.

Aroma is not as strong as I remembered; almost nothing there but a subtle hint of citrus hops.

Flavor is equally subdued, with a dark malt character that submerges below a raw, green hop flavor. Bitterness comes on after, but all these flavors are more muted than I remember.

Maybe this was an old keg. And it was served pretty darned cold.

07-04-2008 01:09:03 | More by charlzm
tigerpaws

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

Not worthy! I beg to differ, I was not impressed by this beer. As a devout hoprhead I looked forward to this beer and was disapointed. Pours a nice copper color but with almost no head. The aroma is very hoppy which teased me into great expectations. It did have a hoppy taste but it did not vary from first sip to last. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but while I wouldn't turn down another one I would also surely not buy one..............CHEERS

10-27-2002 06:05:14 | More by tigerpaws
quasimoto

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

The bottle poured a nice dark reddish brown witha monsterous head that lasted for ever. For a stong ale there was very little aroma that I got from it. What I did get was caramel/fruit punch aromas with very little hops. The taste was very sweet, also with the fruit punch and malts that ended up with the ever slight tangy-ness of hops. Slight alcohol presence in the end. The hops are there but not strong enough. The mouth feel was thick and creamy ( a high gravity) Overall Not a "session beer" but one to enjoy and move on.

07-16-2005 02:20:34 | More by quasimoto
JDV

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Pour is reddish brown with a light head. Smell is malty sweetness, with some hops showing through. Taste is sweet but not overly at all, followed by a mild drying hop finish. Thich, and rich for the style, while flavors are somewhat mild actually. Nice bitterness at first, but it turned medicinal and aspirin tablet-like a bit. Not bad, but wasn't too crazy about it either.

02-24-2008 18:43:46 | More by JDV
vkv822

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.
best by: 12/18/11

Pours a clear, dark amber red with a frothy light toffee colored head that leaves a nice lacing.

The aroma is of piney, slightly resinous hops upfront followed quickly by a caramel malt backbone, though the pine is definitely foremost.

Follows the nose fairly well, though the hops are more prominent in the taste than the aroma.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with prickly, fairly active carbonation.

A decent and enjoyable beer, though nothing overtly special.

11-21-2011 05:05:25 | More by vkv822
goblue3509

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a nice amber brown color with a fluffy white head and decent lacing. The smell is of a strong malt backbone with toffee notes and an overlayer of floral and pine hops. The taste is of malt backbone but a bitter hop bite is present and big on the back end. A floral hop taste but it is slightly too bitter. The mouthfeel is nice with a smooth and light carbonation feel. The drinkability isn't as high as some in the class, the bitter bite is not in a hop enjoyable way.

08-12-2009 18:10:05 | More by goblue3509
JustinJTisdale

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

The music venue I work at has this on tap all the time so Ive had my fair share in order to review appropriately.

Stone brewers may be alot of things but liars they are not. It says on the bottle "You probably wont like this" and for the most part there right. Everyone I know hates this beer but I beg to differ. Despite its slightly acrid overtones and overbearing amount of hops I find it has a specific character and mood to it and as a beer serves its overall purpose.

The color is slightly reddish and it pours a lighter head that sticks around surprisingly long. The beer is often chilled a little too much where I get it but at the right temperature (maybe out of a bottle) the tastes ring true and if you can get past the aftertaste its really not as terrible as one might think.

01-10-2010 22:09:40 | More by JustinJTisdale
donkeyrunner

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Hazelnut to auburn colored brew with a sand colored head. Bawdy lace and retention. Bonus points for surly gargoyle bottle art.

Caramel, citrus and brownie batter aroma. Tastes like it smells. More messy than complex IMO but I tend to favor focused beers.

Not my favorite but an American classic just like SNPA, the Chevy Camaro, Aerosmith, and Chuck Norris.

11-16-2011 01:52:57 | More by donkeyrunner
SometimesIfart

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark ruby red with a tan two finger head. Left a massive amount of lacing everywhere. Smells of very dark grains, roasted malt and burtn toast. The up front is a large amount of burnt bread along with burnt malt. Another drink adds a whiskey like charcoal hit into the mix, along with a large smoky flavor. The mouthfeel makes this beer seem just like a scotch ale. Keeps all of the mentioned flavors but adds a MASSIVE punch of smokeyness to the finish. Overall, this is a big, flavorful beer, and as the lable states, it is not for snivling yellow beer drinking wimps. Though it didn't appeal to my particular taste

08-16-2012 00:28:53 | More by SometimesIfart
ChadQuest

3.05/5  rDev -27%

Clear Reddish amber pour with a robust healthy head and lacing.
Sugary floral and caramel on the nose, i can really smell the malt sweetness. hops arn't really strong, but the best Before date is still a month away.
Flavor is strong and dominant in a balanced sort of way, there is some cascade style hops, caramel malts, strong candied dark fruits that come off bittersweet, and cotton candy.
Mouth feel is sticky chewy medium body that lingers and coats
with a medium carb.

This is an average beer for me, nothing huge stands out and makes it super desireable. I've consumed 3 bottles now, that will probally be it.

Chad

11-13-2010 06:24:17 | More by ChadQuest
Falcon91Wolvrn03

3.05/5  rDev -27%

Appearance – A clear dark reddish brown or maybe dark amber color. Pours a nice head with good lacing.

Smell – Bitter hops with some pine. It also has a bit of honey, but not enough to overcome the bitter hoppiness.

Taste – More bitter hoppiness. A strong bitter bite, and a lingering bitter aftertaste. I don’t taste much else.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. The hoppiness has a powerful bitter bite to it that makes it feel more carbonated than it is.

Drinkability – Not the best drinking beer. It tastes like it has more than 7.2% abv. Too much bitterness, and not much of anything else.

06-25-2012 05:04:56 | More by Falcon91Wolvrn03
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Deep copper body with a thin light brown head, dark and taunting. Aroma contains a truckload of bold hops, one of those beers that smell thick, probably due to abundant crystal malt? Light citrus character and a suggestion at leather. Taste is very crystal malty with a weird hop profile leading to a untypical dry finish (chalky, dusty, ashes and slightly smokey). Very bitter aftertaste. Body is typical Stone, very full, thick, almost syrupy. Not my favorite Stone, but I gotta recognize the attitude.

01-27-2004 00:44:30 | More by Rastacouere
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.