Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

When I saw the bottle, I absolutely had to try this beer. Before opening the bottle, I looked it up on this site...I had such high hopes, but then the taste...

This beer is godawful. I have no idea why it got such high reviews. I couldn't even finish the stuff, as my taste buds had decided to mutiny.

2.28/5  rDev -45.2%

Bought a bomber of this tonight because I've heard so many raves about it. I have to say, I was afraid this would happen. It's like this whenever the hype about something takes on a life of it's own. I'm surprised by how many of the top reviewers rate this so highly. I consider this "The Emperors New Beer".

I will say, though, the appearance of this beer is exceptional. It's a rich deep copper color with a dense inch or so of beige head. All beers should be this beautiful in a glass. It made me very hopeful that the beer would live up to it's reputation. The head stayed a long time and left an impressive lacing on the glass. It's a very well made beer, as far as looks go.

But those hopes evaporated when I smelled it. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of hops. But that's all this beer has. Other beers, good beers, have something besides that. This is a very one dimensional beer.

Taste? Well, there again, I love hops, but I don't care to eat them as a meal by themselves. In fact, there isn't much flavor there, just an intense bitterness that overpowers any hop flavors that I know must be there. There is no subtlety to this beer. It's a real sledge-hammer approach to brewing. It reminds me of guys who enter chili cook-offs with the hottest chili that they can make, but forget that it has to taste good, too. It's like Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing. Yeah, he's the fastest, but it's not a race. Play something good, we know you have the skills.

Great mouthfeel, though. It has a very creamy body. Very dry without tasting overly alcoholic (which it kinda' is at 7.2%).

Not very drinkable, though. It was a bit of a chore finishing the bomber. I did, though, it was better than the Miller High Life Lite I tried the other day and couldn't finish.

Sorry, but I can't give this beer a better rating than this, I suppose I'm just not "worthy". Flame away, but, really it's a lame beer with a great marketing strategy. At least it's a well made lame beer.

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

My first Stone disappointment. This beer did not live up to its hype imo. Pours a ruby red color with darker auburn shades on the side. Sporadic light tan head holds for awhile. Decent lacing along the sides. Aroma is very bitter and sharp. Quite acidic as well. There's some alcohol notes in there too, which I liked. The flavors in this beer simply did not work together. A very sweet caramel/butterscotch taste comes at first but then is soon drowned out by an intensely bitter, slightly piney hoppiness. The hoppiness holds and brings some alcohol fusels in with it and then on the finish the malt comes back with a sickening cloying syrup texture. The finish is horrible. I feel like I need to wash my mouth out with water. This beer is on the thin side and the body can't hold the flavors together. It seems like Stone just threw a bunch of random ingredients into the kettle and this was the horrible result. They have so many good beers, I don't know what happened here.

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I like a few ales, so I went into this expecting to like it (or at least tolerate it). It has a nice dark caramel color; and has a good hoppy smell. It poured with a creamy head. From there it went south for me. I don't want to totally dog the beer like most people do with the macro beers (which aren't all that bad); but I just cannot rate the taste for this very highly.

I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but I had to pour out most of this pint. The head hadn't even dissipated before my stomach started to hurt. I'm not sure if my stomach just didn't like one of the ingredients, or if the hops were just too strong for my stomach. All I know is I couldn't finish it.

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

On-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.
I'm much looking forward to this.

A - A medium to dark brown color. Some head, but not much retention. Good.

S - Very hoppy. Honestly, all I could smell was a strong pine scent that is enhanced after taking a sip. Like a cheap car air-freshener.

T - Strong. Again, hops and an unpleasant piney aftertaste that lingers far too long. Not much balance here, unfortunately.

M - Quite a bit of hop aggressiveness. Some carbonation gives the hops more bite. The feel does improve as the beer warms and loses the carbonation, however.

Summary - I've been wanting to try this brew for a while. I had heard great things about it, and it's extremely popular, but I was left disappointed. It is far too strong in the hop department. I learned that Arrogant Bastard Ale is not my style.
Note: I drank this at the same place as the 90 min Dogfish Head, with the same fish and chips. Not even close to the same experience.

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured into a tulip, a hazy almost-opaque reddish brown. Thick tan head made of mostly tiny bubbles with a few large ones interspersed. The head lasted pretty long, and leaves a ring around the edge and a little foamy glob in the middle that I like to save for the last sip like shooting an oyster. The sticky head leaves some nice lacing on the glass that leaves rings as I drink it down.

Smells like caramel and grass with just a touch of grapefruit, and pretty solidly that. There's not a lot going on in the aroma, which is nice. I learned the KISS principle in high school, and that was probably the best thing I learned there.

Taste is malty and bready up front with a nice floral hop finish. The middle of the taste is sort of musky-fruity. There is a strong and long-lasting alcoholic and bitter after-taste. The more of it I drink, the more I taste the grapefruit character from the hops.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick. Could use a bit more carbonation to lighten it up. Also, the alcoholic/bitter aftertaste is very off-putting and lasts an inordinate amount of time.

Drinkability: Okay, I get it...you're a big beer. And you don't really care what I think about you, you arrogant bastard. If you did, you might make yourself a bit more drinkable. This beer is harsh in my opinion. That isn't to say I don't like it, I can be a bit masochistic from time to time. I just wouldn't ever drink two of these in a row (in fact, I only finished THIS bottle because I can't bear to waste beer), but I suppose that isn't the point of a beer like this. Then again, what IS the point of a beer like this?

Eerie side note: On my second pour, the foamy glob that I noted before actually became three separate globs that looked just like a smiley face. Is that the gargoyle's soul laughing at me for not getting the joke? I must not be worthy...

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Quite an original looking label; it's nice to see something different. This beer poors a nice copper color, with a good white head that fades away pretty quick. Looks appealing.
The smell is nothing remarkable; moderate hop aroma in no way prepares you for what is coming.
Intense, hot, overpowering hop flavor. Very sharp, very bitter. As it warms this mellows just enough that I can get a taste of the malt behind the hops. Definetly needs to go with a big rare steak.
Definetly for the dedicated hop lovers only. From the arrogance on the label I was expecting a beer with big full malt and hop flavors, but all I got was the hops. I didn't really like this beer, but that does not mean it isn't any good. If you like to chew on mouthsfull of hops, this brew is for you.

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

I waited a long time to try this beer, and it was not worth the wait. The appearance is amazing, with a deep amber burgundy color. The taste is overwhelming hop from the outset. The aftertaste is almost like sucking a grapefruit. There is no complexity. It is all hops. Not worth it, even for a hop lover.

2.44/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured into pint glass

A: I'm just not worthy

S: Again, not worthy

T: Eh' . . . Still not worthy

M: I can't handle the worthiness

O: I sound like a Wayne's World episode I know. Maybe I'll come back to this one again someday. After all . . . There was a time that I could not stand ipa's either (parish the thought I know). But for now . . . Well, you guessed it, I'm not worthy and I'm ok with that.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

This beer showcases the ultra bitter approach to hops that was popular in the late nineties. This is the kind of beer that caused me to switch to wine and other beverages. The new school of hoppy beers showcase flavor and aroma elements to balance the bitterness. In the bastard, bitterness is forefront and dominant. A very unpleasant beer to drink.

HOP CITY

A- A Clear deep red mahogany, copper color.

S- Smells of HOPS

T- HAs a long lasting after taste.

D- Very strong and distinct beer. This is the beer that turned me away from strong HOP beers.

guess i got drink if given again. but will not by ever

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.