Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,900 | Hads: 9,921
2.35/5  rDev -43.8%

When I saw the bottle, I absolutely had to try this beer. Before opening the bottle, I looked it up on this site...I had such high hopes, but then the taste...

This beer is godawful. I have no idea why it got such high reviews. I couldn't even finish the stuff, as my taste buds had decided to mutiny. (304 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -43.1%

My first Stone disappointment. This beer did not live up to its hype imo. Pours a ruby red color with darker auburn shades on the side. Sporadic light tan head holds for awhile. Decent lacing along the sides. Aroma is very bitter and sharp. Quite acidic as well. There's some alcohol notes in there too, which I liked. The flavors in this beer simply did not work together. A very sweet caramel/butterscotch taste comes at first but then is soon drowned out by an intensely bitter, slightly piney hoppiness. The hoppiness holds and brings some alcohol fusels in with it and then on the finish the malt comes back with a sickening cloying syrup texture. The finish is horrible. I feel like I need to wash my mouth out with water. This beer is on the thin side and the body can't hold the flavors together. It seems like Stone just threw a bunch of random ingredients into the kettle and this was the horrible result. They have so many good beers, I don't know what happened here. (978 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

Unfortunately, I can't even review this beer now and the reasons are listed below.

I've been drinking this for years now. Every time I visit my local establishment which has had Arrogant Bastard since day 1, I get a draft glass of it. It used to be great but has suffered from inconsistencies over the last couple years. I had some today from a keg and it tasted more like an IPA than arrogant bastard. I've had some in the past that tasted more like a Yuengling. I thought maybe it was a keg issue so I grabbed some in a bottle and it tasted different in the bottle also.

I'm starting to think that the bourbon and oaked versions were just batches that didn't turn out right. Unfortunately, Stone has some work to do to get this beer consistent and tasking like it used to. (782 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -42.3%

On-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.
I'm much looking forward to this.

A - A medium to dark brown color. Some head, but not much retention. Good.

S - Very hoppy. Honestly, all I could smell was a strong pine scent that is enhanced after taking a sip. Like a cheap car air-freshener.

T - Strong. Again, hops and an unpleasant piney aftertaste that lingers far too long. Not much balance here, unfortunately.

M - Quite a bit of hop aggressiveness. Some carbonation gives the hops more bite. The feel does improve as the beer warms and loses the carbonation, however.

Summary - I've been wanting to try this brew for a while. I had heard great things about it, and it's extremely popular, but I was left disappointed. It is far too strong in the hop department. I learned that Arrogant Bastard Ale is not my style.
Note: I drank this at the same place as the 90 min Dogfish Head, with the same fish and chips. Not even close to the same experience. (952 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured into a tulip, a hazy almost-opaque reddish brown. Thick tan head made of mostly tiny bubbles with a few large ones interspersed. The head lasted pretty long, and leaves a ring around the edge and a little foamy glob in the middle that I like to save for the last sip like shooting an oyster. The sticky head leaves some nice lacing on the glass that leaves rings as I drink it down.

Smells like caramel and grass with just a touch of grapefruit, and pretty solidly that. There's not a lot going on in the aroma, which is nice. I learned the KISS principle in high school, and that was probably the best thing I learned there.

Taste is malty and bready up front with a nice floral hop finish. The middle of the taste is sort of musky-fruity. There is a strong and long-lasting alcoholic and bitter after-taste. The more of it I drink, the more I taste the grapefruit character from the hops.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick. Could use a bit more carbonation to lighten it up. Also, the alcoholic/bitter aftertaste is very off-putting and lasts an inordinate amount of time.

Drinkability: Okay, I get it...you're a big beer. And you don't really care what I think about you, you arrogant bastard. If you did, you might make yourself a bit more drinkable. This beer is harsh in my opinion. That isn't to say I don't like it, I can be a bit masochistic from time to time. I just wouldn't ever drink two of these in a row (in fact, I only finished THIS bottle because I can't bear to waste beer), but I suppose that isn't the point of a beer like this. Then again, what IS the point of a beer like this?

Eerie side note: On my second pour, the foamy glob that I noted before actually became three separate globs that looked just like a smiley face. Is that the gargoyle's soul laughing at me for not getting the joke? I must not be worthy... (1,842 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -41.6%

I waited a long time to try this beer, and it was not worth the wait. The appearance is amazing, with a deep amber burgundy color. The taste is overwhelming hop from the outset. The aftertaste is almost like sucking a grapefruit. There is no complexity. It is all hops. Not worth it, even for a hop lover. (305 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -41.1%

Quite an original looking label; it's nice to see something different. This beer poors a nice copper color, with a good white head that fades away pretty quick. Looks appealing.
The smell is nothing remarkable; moderate hop aroma in no way prepares you for what is coming.
Intense, hot, overpowering hop flavor. Very sharp, very bitter. As it warms this mellows just enough that I can get a taste of the malt behind the hops. Definetly needs to go with a big rare steak.
Definetly for the dedicated hop lovers only. From the arrogance on the label I was expecting a beer with big full malt and hop flavors, but all I got was the hops. I didn't really like this beer, but that does not mean it isn't any good. If you like to chew on mouthsfull of hops, this brew is for you. (776 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

This beer showcases the ultra bitter approach to hops that was popular in the late nineties. This is the kind of beer that caused me to switch to wine and other beverages. The new school of hoppy beers showcase flavor and aroma elements to balance the bitterness. In the bastard, bitterness is forefront and dominant. A very unpleasant beer to drink. (350 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I thought I was sophisticated enough to enjoy a brew like this. But I tried a bomber of this while vacatining out in Arizona (since I cannot recieve this in IL yet.) and I can't really say I like it. Too much going on , caramel, fruit, overload...I'd rather have an Eye of the Hawk by Mendocino. (295 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I like a few ales, so I went into this expecting to like it (or at least tolerate it). It has a nice dark caramel color; and has a good hoppy smell. It poured with a creamy head. From there it went south for me. I don't want to totally dog the beer like most people do with the macro beers (which aren't all that bad); but I just cannot rate the taste for this very highly.

I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but I had to pour out most of this pint. The head hadn't even dissipated before my stomach started to hurt. I'm not sure if my stomach just didn't like one of the ingredients, or if the hops were just too strong for my stomach. All I know is I couldn't finish it. (683 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -40%

I'm not much of a NW hop fan when done in arrogant fashion so didn't expect to care for this one-but gave it a try at a beer tasing.

A-light clear brown with a weak head
S-Yep its hoppy, citrusy/piney, touch of malted barley
T-Decent upfront malted barley flavor quickly taken over by grapefruit, resin like hops.
M-Decent, but lingers
D-I could drink one if in a pinch.

Definitely an arrogant bastard-me no like, but good for you hop heads. (443 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1 pt 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Three finger head of good cream, nice thickness, and good retention. Colour is a dark copper colour. Semitransparent.

Sm: Musty caramel, nuts, and fair cream. A mild strength aroma.

T: Caramel ridden body alongside some very slight roast notes. A little cream is present. Generally, it's a bit simply built. The nuts don't come through. It's not really well balanced, but it could be worse.

Mf: Pretty smooth and pretty wet. Doesn't really suit the flavours of the body.

Dr: Too difficult to drink for the ABV. The flavours are a damned distraction. The price is higher than it should be. It's far from awful, but I wouldn't have it again. (809 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -39.2%

HOP CITY

A- A Clear deep red mahogany, copper color.

S- Smells of HOPS

T- HAs a long lasting after taste.

D- Very strong and distinct beer. This is the beer that turned me away from strong HOP beers.

guess i got drink if given again. but will not by ever (260 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -38.3%

Re-review because I never cared for my first review.

A: Pours a reddish mahogany with a well-retaining beige head.

S: Bitter, resiny pine hops, dark fruit, caramel.

T: As in the nose, bitter hops lead the way. The emphasis on bitter pine needles and resin is something I've never gotten accustomed to with this beer. Mild citrus elements in the mid-taste, which transition into caramel and dark fruit. The finish is a piney hop punch again.

M: Medium-full bodied with tons of sticky, lingering bitterness. I prefer a cleaner flavor profile, one that doesn't totally ruin your palate. But that's arguably my own shortcoming.

O: I've never enjoyed this beer, and I can't figure out why. I like Stone, I like hoppy beers (is that redundant?), but the particular flavor profile here rubs me the wrong way, whether I have it on tap or out of the bottle. Ah well, more for everyone else. (891 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -38%

Man, It really has been far too long since I’ve had the beer. Like I said before – I got a bit annoyed from their beers a few years back and sort of stopped buying them. Not in any boycott or shit like that, just fell off my grocery list.

Anyway, I let the bomber get a little closer to room temp and poured into a skinny tulip. It pours a dark, mahogany brown with a frothy sweat stained white head that pours a few fingers thick and then dimples and craters quickly on the surface, but holds on tight to the sides of the glass leaving a nice lacing. 3 minutes go by and the head settles down to a nice foamy surface about a half inch thick with rings sticking around up north.

For a dark brown ale, it is crystal clear. Very filtered and I can almost make out Aceves’s beer gut through the glass if I hold still long enough. Held up to the light, you get a little coca cola ruby red/brown at the base of the glass. Nice looking beer – certainly looks like a strong ale.

Haven’t smelt this beer in a long time, but oddly enough it smells the same, familiar. A weird smell I think – very bitter, very hoppy… but the pine aroma is supported by the foundation of grain, caramel, toffee aroma beneath it.

Maybe it’s because I just had a DIPA… but I think it has a pretty “watery” mouthfeel compared to last time I had it. It finishes sticky enough… but I feel like it may have been “thicker” in my memory. Taste? Boozy, hoppy, grainy, chewy caramel – but a lack of balance if you ask me. The hops smack you around a bit with grapefruit/citrus… but its not that great citrus flavor that you cherish in a really well balanced and appropriately hopped beer. Just swinging its big grapefruit dick around with no abandon... I guess that's what an Arrogant Bastard does.

Wouldn’t say I’d get this again soon. I like a beer that is balanced – even when its high alcohol. There are plenty of 7+ ABV beers that are fantastically balanced… but this unfortunately (in my opinion) is not one of them. It doesn’t have much flow to it if that makes any sense… starts a bit watery in mouthfeel, ends very sticky. Starts out way to hoppy – filled with grapefruit.. ends with a not so great burnt caramel flavor. Awkward more than Arrogant... and I like big ass, hoppy, aggressive beers...

But it did look really nice. (2,353 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -37.8%

Stone Arrogant Bastard

I'm just not worthy !

Poured into pint glass

A: I'm just not worthy

S: Again, not worthy

T: Eh' . . . Still not worthy

M: I can't handle the worthiness

O: I sound like a Wayne's World episode I know. Maybe I'll come back to this one again someday. After all . . . There was a time that I could not stand ipa's either (parish the thought I know). But for now . . . Well, you guessed it, I'm not worthy and I'm ok with that. (453 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -37.1%

This is a beer I used to drink regularly, then one day I found myself bored with it and haven't had one in at least two years. This style doesn't have a lot of clear definitions, and versions vary greatly. Let's see what's up.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured an attractive mahogany color with about a half inch of light tan head that quickly dissipated and left minimal lacing.

A mostly bitter hop aroma wafts through the olfactory area, with just a touch of malt in the background. The flavors are the mix of sweet and bitter, with that harsh metallic taste I remember still dominant.

The body is decent, solid and not heavy. Drinkability is not good, this beer is just not very enjoyable. This beer is very popular so my opinion is going to be the minority, but I won't be seeking this beer out again for a while. (824 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Dark brown/black coloring with not a whole lot of head.

S- Strong hoppy scent. Can also smell the alcohol in this as well.

T- Tastes like pure hops and alcohol. Overpowering hop flavor. Very bitter beer.

M- Extremely bitter. Nothing smooth about this beer.

D- The extreme hoppiness makes this beer a little hard to drink.

Overall I like hoppy beers, but this one just seems a little too hoppy for me. (441 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -36.4%

What can i say?

I wasnt impressed with this whatsoever.

After being put onto it by some friends of mine i decided to give it a go. I went to my local beer importer who was selling it by the bottle for £12 British Pound Sterling!

The Arrogance!

Anywhoo, i nabbed a bottle along with some of my preplanned Belgian buys and got on the London Underground home. I chilled it for an hour in the fridge so it was a little below room temperature but not freezing cold as i wanted to taste what it had on offer.

When i poured it looked like my type of drink, but it all went downhill from there. The bitterness put me off straight away and i found it to be nothing like any type of 'Ale' ive had. It was more like an English bitter but with more carbonation, and i am not a fan of bitters. I actually didnt even want to finish it.

Glad i tried it. I wont say id never drink it again but at £12 for one bottle, i definatly wont ever buy it again. (944 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I remember having this beer many years, before I started taking notes and entering reviews. I didn't like it then but was still surprised to find I don't like it now either. In general, I'm a big fan of Stone Brewing and my tastes have expanded to include many 'extreme' and big ales. This revisit started well enough, with an attractive red-amber ale topped by a small but durable tan head. The aroma was a slightly boozy mix of medium malt and herbal/earthy hops. The main impression made by the flavor is, unfortunately, the overly bitter aftertaste.

M: medium body and carbonation.

O: too challenging. (608 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -34.9%

I'm a bit surprised about the positive reviews on this beer. I hope they didn't fall for the legend on the back of the bottle.

A- Nice caramel color, seemed to need a bit more carbonation
S - lots of hops, pine, hoppy, hoppy
T- All I could taste was hops, it was so strong that at the beginning I had half a pint alone and then had it with steak, just like I thought, the taste of the steak was completely masked by the bitter hoppy flavor of this beer. It definitely didn't pair up with any food and at time had an unflavored cough syrup after taste, so bitter like gin. Completely out of balance.
M - good consistency, but extremely strong bitter hoppy flavor, long lasting.

I didn't know if I had a bad batch, however when I was choosing at the supermarket, I was aiming for the one with the least hoppy flavor since I had tasted other beers from this brewery and always thought the hops were out of balance, and surprise!, I got something really out of balance on hops.

The Stout and the one they brew on oak barrels are the best out of this brewery, but a total let down, if the hop is so strong you can't pair it up then that's telling you something. (1,159 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

Served cold on-tap at Fat Heads in Pittsburg.

A- Red and caramelly. Frothy head that settles to nothing but a ring of bigger bubbles.

S- Wow this is gonna pack a punch... Hops, hops, and more hops. Is that a faint roasted smell?

T- This is a tough beer. Light and smooth but oh man does it slam you with hops. Dry, bitter, grapefruit, dark cheeries, hoppity hop hop.

M- Leaves your mouth dry as a bone. *Gasp* This sure is a bastard...

D- I didn't really enjoy this beer. I'm glad I got to try it at a bar for $5 a pint instead of buying a 22 oz bomber and suffering through it. I don't enjoy this beer much at all. (621 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

A - Dark mahoganey wood brown with a dirty tan head, medium in size. Good lacing. This beer lost a whole point from me in this category because of labels on the bottle, which basically insult you and say that if you don't like this beer it's because you aren't sophisticated enough. For questions and comments, it basically suggests you go **** yourself. I am not overlooking the whole "Arrogant Bastard" theme here, but I just spent over five bucks on this one tall bottle, so this type of self-important crap is pretty annoying.

S - Pure hop oil. Tart, piney grapefruit smell and something like celery (???).

T - Holy bitterness. Tons of hops, little else. Not that I know, but this is what I imagine pine tree sap would taste like. Aftertaste = grapefruit. A hint of malt sweetness is almost detectable for just a second, then it's gone. Almost zero balance; just tons of hops.

M - Thick and warm, due to the high ABV.

D - Between the extreme dose of hops, and the sharp bite of the relatively poorly-hidden alcohol, I'm ready to switch to something else after about 8 oz. Not my style whatsoever.

This ale was way, way, way too hoppy for my tastes. Evidently - or according to the packaging - this is because I am a giant moron and a sissy when it comes to beer. I know I'm probably taking the damn label WAAAAY too seriously, but in my eyes if you put statements like that on your bottle, your beer sure as hell better deliver. And Arrogant Bastard simply did not deliver. It reminded me of the compressed pellet of hops I tasted when I toured the Anheiser-Busch brewery in St. Louis. I had some other Arrogant Bastard beers on my to-try list, but I will cross them off unless someone wants to throw a bottle my way for free. (1,735 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

This ale will put hair on your chest (I’m talkin’ to you ladies)! Initially I want to tell you to watch out. This is for real beer drinkers who like BOLD tastes. Aside from the cool silk-screened logo and the huge bottle, it has interesting flavors and smell.

This is a very complex beer but is also reasonably smooth. Very fruity (orange) in the bouquet and also a huge occurrence of alcohol tang is present. This is an exceedingly hopped beer with plenty of toasted grain. I would suggest one bottle of this mixed in with other types of beer for the night. Don’t try and drink this all night long. You might grow horns or turn into a hairy beast (more so than you already are).

Try it. Have an open mind and buy other beer just incase. (748 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

Hops wrestle with the sweet malt for a long, long time. Eventually the malt gives up. Oddly light bodied. Oily pine on the lips followed by grapefruit pith. Carbonation lasts well if your tongue can take the workout. Pleasing head on the amber brew with nice lacing.

From the cask at The Linkery in San Diego. I thought it might be interesting to try the cask version, but I wish I hadn't. The unfortunate part is the warm cellar temp accentuates the astounding excess of bitter hops and makes the whole concoction harsh and and brutal. (538 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.