Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

dvs98, Jul 16, 2014

rspike240, Jul 23, 2014

Bobby_Ginger, Aug 21, 2014
1.04/5  rDev -75.1%

jimantz, Aug 31, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -73.6%

Got this in bottle from Trader Joes.

I'm sorry, but A- rating for this? I know I'm a lightweight but this drink was f-ing HORRID. I almost gagged at the disgusting aftertaste of this beer. The appearance was fine, nothing to complain about...but everything else was simply 'awful'. I realize that BAers love the outrageous, extreme, in-your-face beers, but this is just nasty. Please stay away if you have any real taste.

Drainpour for me, and my lowest rating yet. This is the type of beer that put me off drinking for so long.

P.S. Whoever the reviewer is that said "this is a great session beer" needs their head checked.

Northsider, Jul 21, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -70%

lilmul123, Mar 02, 2014
1.28/5  rDev -69.3%

I think STONE is one of the finest breweries to come out of America PERIOD; all their Ipa servings are the beers to be judged against and their belgium/ipa is the tops. They have two beers that I can't figure out if people are on something when they drink them because they are just,,,argghh (cough, gag, cough, disgust) SICKENING and I think they must be a joke from the brewmaster. This is a wast of money and DISGUSTING. Horrid, I would drink a Bud light any day over this.

eman1, Jun 28, 2012

protton, Jan 18, 2013

beeragate, Mar 05, 2013

ronbo5421, Apr 23, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -64%

So they said on the label that I probably would not like that beer, and man were they right. Poured from the bottle into a glass. Here's what I got out of it before the drain pour.

A- looks a reddish copper color, decent head, not bad

S- Smells like the same piney crap that is all the rage; smells like the reason I avoid IPAs

T--A lot going on. Pine up front, decent in the middle and a crappy grapefruit after taste that makes me want to stop and brush my teeth rather than take another sip

M- Taste so bad, I couldn't focus on mouthfeel

O- Interesting bottle, it worked well enough to get me to buy it. Product sucked.

Bill_Murray, Jul 23, 2013
1.53/5  rDev -63.3%

The label said that I probably wouldn't like this beer and it was 100% accurate. What an alpha acid bomb! I think I actually lost my taste buds for a few hours after forcing the entire 22oz helping down my throat. I could not detect any hint of malt, but that could be because it was a bit overcarbonated and of course because of the hops.

I don't mind hoppy or strong beers. However, this was way too bitter. Maybe they should have shifted that huge hop addition a bit later into the boil so as to give a bit more flavor and less bitterness.

I'm no wimp. I like spicy foods and hoppy beers, but Arrogant Bastard is definately not for me.

Upgrayedd, Oct 26, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -60.4%

Arrogant? yes Tasty? Not so much.
The taste of this ale is citrusy, not a sweet citrus, but a bitter citrus, thanks to the abundant taste of hops. The first half of the bottle was pretty hard to get down, and I am puzzled by the great reviews of this brew. Near the end of the bottle, I guess I have acclimated a bit to the bitterness presence of hops, giving leaving me with a non-sweet citrus only taste. Kind of reminds me of grapefruit. I really haven't minded the presence of hop flavor in beer, but lately I've had a few that seemed to hopped without any balance, leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth for a half hour after drinking them.... this is one of those.

Fumanchu, Sep 28, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -59.2%

NOTE: I am very, very biased against this kind of beer. you have been warned

appearance: looks good, 4/5

smell: overwhelming hops flow from this one, pleasant I suppose, but its just a mild warning for whats coming in the taste. 3/5

taste: Remarkably un-balanced despite its stronger alcohol content. overwhelming hoppyness. so overwhelming that it becomes remarkably hard to drink

I have to choke this one down, and its almost as hard for me to drink as a ruined batch of beer, hobo wine, and malt liqour, so I will rate it as such
1/5
(if you are not me and LIKE that kind of burn, then I suppose give it a 5/5 for taste)

mouthfeel: I cant tell. the hops stung too much to notice
Average I suppose

Overall: I hate this beer. I really really do.

I know that it wasn't made for me. it was made for hopheads
but I am not a hophead
I give this one a 1/5

if you love hops, I suppose its worth a 4/5
however, if you want balance to your beer and greater character from the malt, look elsewhere.

jucifer1818, Nov 30, 2012

Cjalbers, Aug 23, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -58%

Had 3 other persons at my table. No one would dare try a second taste of the overly hoppy bitter beer.
I'm not a huge fan of hops , So it was all I could do to hold my nose and choke down this beer I paid $7 dollars for. But if you are a fan of bitter tasting hop flavored beers give this a go. This just happens to be on the opposite spectrum of my liking.

ToddL, Nov 19, 2012

Rognvaldr, Dec 21, 2012

Beersippin, Jan 18, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.