Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,926 | Hads: 10,063
4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Pours a pretty reddish color with perfect clarity. A tan head starts out big, shrinks to a respectable cap, and leaves lots of lace down the side of the glass.

Smell: Incredible aroma of fresh hops...it's raw, spicy, and pungent with lots of grapefruit and pine. A touch of sweet malt hides deep underneath the hop blitzkrieg.

Taste: This brew has a solid backbone of malt that comes across as caramelly, fruity, and slightly roasted. But that foundation gets beat down by a huge bitchslap of bitter hops. Flavors of pine, citrus, and grapefruit commit 3rd degree assault on my tastebuds, and I love every precious drop! There's a nice dose of alcohol in here as well. The hop flavor turns into a faint, burnt character on the tail end. Amazing...

Mouthfeel: Very full-bodied with a slighty, syrupy mouthfeel. Finishes with a dry edge from the alcohol.

Drinkability: To be honest, I'd love to drink this all night, but I'd really pay the price in the morning. It's so aggressive in flavor, yet so easy to down...that's a scary combination!!

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Living in Kansas, I don't often have the opportunity to get great fresh beer from the coasts. Sure, we have access to big breweries like Sierra Nevada, Rogue, and Samuel Adams, but we don't have access to those "chic" breweries. One such name is Stone, a brewery that I've always admired from afar but never had the opportunity to sample. On a recent trip to Denver I made it a point to seek out a bevy of beers that I just can't get here locally, including several from Stone. For tonight, I figured that I may as well start with the beer that is arguably Stone's most famous, Arrogant Bastard. I have to admit that I'm both nervous and excited to try this beer. This one is a 22 ounce bomber, with the famous Stone Gargoyle on the front. As if I wasn't intimidated enough there's the phrase "You're Not Worthy" greeting me as I crack the bottle open.

I'm treating this beer as I would a Belgian, as surprisingly outside the name I know very little about it. So that means that I'm using my Chimay chalice. Blasphemy you say? Well, considering the name is Arrogant Bastard, I figured it appropriate. Pours similarly to a Belgian beer as well, a deep amber color. The color is the first thing that surprises me about this beer, as it's much darker, bordering on brown, than I expected. Half inch head that dissipates but leaves a fine bubbly lacing along the sides of the glass. Nice.

Aroma is surprisingly malty. Considering Stone's profile (i.e. California, I was expecting this to be quite hoppy, but again that's not the case. It's a complex smell, and my first thought was of pretzels, like the big soft pretzels you can get on a street corner. There's some sweetness to the malt aroma as well, kind of like a French loaf or something similar. I want to say that there are some faint fruit aromas, like figs or other dark fruits. This aroma is just fantastic. I could smell it all day.

Mouthfeel is pretty tremendous. It's thick without being syrupy, full without being sticky. While the hops were not present in the nose there's this super huge lingering bitterness that smothers your palate, choking it from the front to the back with your first drink. And again, the Arrogant Bastard surprises me, as it tastes like nothing I was expecting. There's this huge, full-on malt sweetness up front, which gives way to a dryness before heading into the bitterness at the end. I attribute the middle dryness to house character that seems to be present in all of Stone's beers. When tasting the beer I'm surprised at how fruity it really is, as I get these huge hits of raisin and fig on my palate. What's amazing is how the sweetness just evaporates in the middle, giving way to this dryness and then the big bitterness. It's a really incredible feat to move from the sweet to dry realm so quickly.

This is a Belgian beer without the Belgian yeast. Arrogant Bastard only gets better the longer you let it warm up. The fruit flavors and malt profile are amplified the closer that it gets to room temperature. It's a delicious beer, and I can easily see why so many people enjoy it. Overall I'm quite impressed with it, and I have absolutely nothing to add but "wow."

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Ah, Bastard. I've had so many bottles of this and never reviewed it- I figured it was about time. Bottle is one of, if not, my favorites. Warns you right off the bat that you probably won't like it- which is why I had to try it. To prove them right, or, hopefully, wrong.

Beautiful looking beer. Deep red/ruby color, lots of tan head that balances perfectly with it. Lacing all down the glass. Almost too pretty to drink. Smell is hoppy, with lots of burnt/roasted scents coming through. A bit of floral scents as well. Intriguing, to say the least.

Taste is just amazing. Lots of coffee and roasted flavors. Espresso. Bitter. Hoppy- and these hops aren't shy, either. There's a subtle sweetness in there, a bit of caramel. The sweet, bitter, roasted flavors all harmonize perfectly- a complex flavor for those who can handle it.

Mouthfeel is chewy, smooth. Bitey after you take a sip. Drinkable for those who enjoy it, definitely. Awesome beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear glorious amber (or ruby away from the light). A thick light tan head rests atop, leaving awesome lacing as it recedes.

Some light aromatic sweetness from the malt, but the nose is almost entirely hops. Huge over-ripe citrus with caramel, but at the same time, a fresh grassy scent.

Sweet malt with a light twang of grapefruit and the bitterness of it's peel. Caramelly, with a hint of coffee. Much more roasted malt in the taste than was evident in the nose.

Medium-bodied with a light prickle. Syrupy enough to hold all that superb flavor on the tongue.

I actually prefer this to the oaked version. The oak, while good, had a bit of harshness to it. This is way smoother, and in my estimation, much more drinkable.

Served in a 16 oz frozen mug

A: Rich amber in color with a fair amount of carbonation and two finger head.

S: Smell is hoppy and sweet with notes of grapefruit and alcohol.

T: The taste is intensely hoppy but surprisingly balanced with bitter citrus notes and the taste of alcohol. Its also fairly dry.

M: Thick and wonderful with just the right amount of carbonation.

Looking at my avatar, you can obviously see I am a Stone fan. I have been drinking this fine ale for over 5 years now and it remains to be among one of my favorites. I refer to this as "The Destroyer" of beer, as it ruined my beer experience forever with weak, yellow, fizzy beer. This beer is a godsend among ales and is simply, in one word, amazing.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

To a Chicagoan, Stone is something of a legend, so I was more than taken aback when confronted with the opportunity of trying a product on tap in out-of-the-way Joseph, OR. It was the more amusing that the manager had no idea where Arrogant Bastard came from.

Anyway, the beer comes with a deep mahogany colour, slight haze, with a generous head of fairly creamy consistency. Fairly pungent aroma of caramel malt and hop aromatics. Flavour is dark and complex with malt, caramel sweetness on top with layered bitter organic components underneath. Full and intense, the flavour lingers.

Superb product unless you like a nice lite beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale comes out swinging. the first thing you notice about this beer is the label, which does its best to ward of weiners and those with heart conditions. the bastard pours red and dark orange with a huge foamy head. the head disappates rather quickly, but leaves a solid collar that deposits thick sheets of lace all the way down the glass.

the smell is of citrus hops and caramel malt, a good indicator of what is to come.

thick caramel malts are balanced and accentuated by bright spicy citrus hops, which are just bitter enough to allow the rich and complex flavors to meld together. alcohol is apparent, but not overwhelming. this sure is a beast of a beer! full bodied and thick, this leaves a good impression on the palate and great aftertaste.

easily drinkable (if you aren't some sort of weiner boy that is), rich and complex but not overpowering. a good combination of thick malts and bright hops make this a winner.

+ great all around, solid beer with lots of complex flavors.

+ exactly what you would expect from Stone. a well crafted, delicious brew. this bastard has every reason to be arrogant

- as the bottle says, and as some of the other reviews state, this really isn't for the faint of heart. some just can't handle the arrogance. and that's okay. there are a couple bottles of st. pauli girl in the fridge if you want em.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked up from an online retailer.

A: Pretty dark, with a slight touch of dark red around the edges. The bottle is pretty amusing as well.

S: Some fruits, some floral.

T: Hops, hops and more hops. With the first sip, it almost seems way too bitter. Gradually, it becomes a little more subdued as you go on. Aftertaste sticks around for quite a while. Fantastic.

M: Slightly sticky, but not too thick.

D: Moderate. As good as the taste is, this is not a beer for hot summer days. For the winter, though, it does just fine.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a dark rustic color, darker than i expected, with a half inch pillowey off white caramel toned head with good lacing. smell of strong hops, citrus and very sweet aromas throughout. taste of initial strong hops and citrus grapefruit notes. finished with a slight malt, a very good blend and combination of flavors that go together very well. this beer is flat out great! everything blends well and its very smooth, i would recommend this stuff to anyone, Great brew!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I drank a bomber of this to celebrate passing my dissertation defense. I figured that now I've got the Ph.D., I can act like an arrogant bastard, and should therefore drink accordingly.

I've heard a lot about this beer, so I was excited to try it. I eventually drank the whole 22 oz by myself. Pours a delicious reddish-brown, nice and clear, with a thin, off-white head. Very good retention, some lacing on the pint glass. Smells and tastes of toasted malts, caramel, toffee, nuts. I thought this was a strong, chewy Brown Ale at first. Good balance with some mild hops. A bit of warming alcohol. Excellent mouthfeel for the decently thick flavors - I think this was spot-on; I've had far too many watered-down "Strong" Ales. Overall, an exceptional beer. Great body, wonderful balance of flavors, all the elements work together to make this a highly drinkable beer. I can see why so many people consider this a standard in the American craft beer repertoire.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Beautiful amber red with a thick head that never loses its glory as it clings after the brew. On each lift the carbonation parts along the bottom of the glass as if part of a miracle. Superb mouthfeel, the carbonation expertly dissipating against the lips. Grapefruit is the dominance at the moment, both in aroma and in linger at the top of the throat post swallow. Strange forebodings of overpowering hops never impude, rather moving beyond strength and presence towards transcendence. Only with some lingering moments around the tongue do the hops truly reveal to us, bare in essence.

Arrogance if as the outward projection of fear in ones own ability: proceed without, well performed.

- Bomber pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass -

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Revist: 13 Nov 15

22 oz. Bomber
Bottled: 08/01/15
Enjoy By: 10/30/15

It's been a long time coming!

Poured into a 22 oz. Stone Arrogant Bastard glass a very nice dark brown color, with some very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick creamy small light tan head, which leaves a bunch of small islands through out the glass, and some very nice thick sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some very nice hoppyness, a little nutty/roasty notes, licorice. The taste is very nice malty, very nice hop note, nutty/roasty/licorice notes. Medium body, with a very nice bitter/dry finish. ABV is hidden very well. Overall, still a very very nice brew. Glad that it is available to me now. A classic! Highly Recommended!

This is a extrodarie beer. Pours a dark amber/red. Not much of a head and leaves a small trace of lacing. Scents of hops and malt in a sweet surrounding. Medium body with a great sweet taste with a little hop bite at the end. I really like this brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear ruby-brown with a thick light brown head. Thick sheets of lacing down the side of the glass. Aroma consists of citrusy hops, malt, some dark fruit, dark rum and has a sweetness to it. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. A firm bitterness is present throughout. Nice caramel malt background. Hop bitterness and malt flavor seem to balance each other out rather well. Warming alcohol effect is noticed as the ale goes down. Excellently crafted. I only wish this was available in Wisconsin on a regular basis and that I didn't have to travel 2 hours to track down a bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I think this was my first of this style! Awesome, I had one bottle and went back for more. Poured a finger head with bright red body!! Color was awesome and the taste was even better. The smell of dark fruit and smoky!! Taste the same as smell with a great hop presence of grapefruit and zesty lemon. The smoky flavor was the last to leave. I could drink this all day!!

Next is the double Bastard and if it's anything like this I'm doubly excited!!

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I've heard about this beer for a while, but never gotten around to trying it. I wish I hadn't waited so long!

A: Pours thick. A darker caramel color, with a larger head that lingers.

S: Hops, hops and more hops, and a bit of citrus.

T: Delicious. A nice grapefruit taste to start off, then a big hit of the hops, finishing with a bit more grapefruit and maybe a hint of pine.

M: A bit thick, but very enjoyable. Definitely not something to chug down at a frat party.

D: Because it's so big, I don't think I could drink more than a couple of these in a night, but boy does it go down smooth.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

22 oz. bottle slowly poured into a pint glass (a few times to get it all)

Got this beer at the local liquor superstore. A little pricey, but they can get just about whatever you want.

Appearance: Very dark amber/kinda chocolatey in color, large head about a a finger and a half that persisted for quite a good time. Good lacing. Looks thick as pine tar

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. Fruity, citrusy esters present, most definitely piney.

Taste: Now for the good part. This beer is stout, hoppy, citrusy and piney. Absolutely wonderful. Very warming as well. Bitter, yes, but so full of flavor it would be worthless if not for the bite it has.

Mouthfeel: Very, very creamy and a little fizzy at times. Easy to drink for how stout it is. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Rather easy for what it is, but if you are looking for a session beer, unless you like full bodied kick you in the shins ales, then this beer isn't for you. It will make you appreciate the subtleties of strong hops though.

Overall, I LOVE THIS BEER! First time I had it was at the Beer Sellar (actual spelling) in Newport, KY on tap, and it only keeps getting better every time I drink it. A definite A if not REALLY close to an A+

By the way, the warmer it got, the better it got. This beer really has it all...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a large tulip.

A: Nice head that sticks around a while. Its a dark amber, quite clear.

S:Malt, yeast esters, pine needles, caramel and alcohol.

T: Caramel, coffee, pine needles and grapefruit-rind at the end.

M: Almost creamy with some carbonation and alcohol bite.

O: This is a really good American beer. It's not to west-coast hop dominant; and that's coming from a California brewery, a good one at that.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I compare all ASA's to this beer.

Poured from the bottle into a tall pilsner glass.

A - Held up to the light, this rich deep ruby/burgundy color is quite nice. Full finger head that LASTS with the lacing that covers every inch...

S - Grapefruit? I swear I smell grapefruit and something else. Really nice, must have taken 10 sniffs and wanted more. ;)

T - The grapefruit again with a great balance to be a 7.2%'er.

M - Great body, not too rich but far from watery.

D - If I ever win the lottery, I doubt I'll ever drink anything else.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a deep copper with an outstanding tight white head. Great lace and retention. Smells a bit like plums and roasted malt with a great fruity hop undercurrent. It has a very elusive aroma profile. Not too malty, yeasty or hoppy. They all meld very well. Flavour is way hoppier than the aroma would lead you to think. Again kind of elusive. Bitter hops, some plum and then an almost chocolate like malt presence. Dry and bitter and slightly roasty on the finish. Mouthfeel is full but not heavy or oily. Carbonation is medium. Wow what an interesting beer. Unlike anything Ive ever had. It is like they took the best aspects from a bunch of different beer styles and fused them together into one glorious beer. Highly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Growing up in San Diego and going to Cal State San Marcos, Stone has been a staple in my life. There once was a time back in my freshman year of college (2002) when I was not worthy. My Fraternity insisted on kegs of arrogant bastard and my palate was not adept to the wonderfulness that is this beer. These days all I got to say is damn I love this beer. Over the past decade I have always looked forward the to malty, burned sugar, and hoppy nose. The color is a fantastic deep red. The flavor is plenty malty, with nice caramel tones, and a nice strong bitterness. Think a Doppelbock DIPA. It's rad! The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but I won't dock them any points for that. Give it a try!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours athick three finger brownish head. Forms a sort of iceberg in the pint glass. Sticky sea foam lacing across the side of the glass. The beer itself looks similiar to iced tea, but with visible carbonation. The smell is of hops, carmel, and just a touch of malt at the end. Also another smell i cant determine...maybe cotton candy? The taste is strong, but smooth. Heavy, yet balanced. Hops and bitterness take the lead followed closely by a touch of alcohol and a slight candied sweetness. A classic and always a go to beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Arrogant Bastard pours a deep burnt caramel color with an impressive chunky-foamy tan colored head. Aromas of fruitcake, pine, juniper, lime zest and candied fruits soar from thy glass. The taste is rich and flavorful, having a warm roasted malt and bitter hop lip-smacking interaction that is truly outstanding. Dangerously easy to quaff, the embedded natural carbonation creates the perfect atmosphere for this turbo-enhanced brew, as this active and dense carbonation carries itself onboard in a perfect way. I have tried a few of Stones’ products and I’ve always felt that they lacked an element of profound complexity. This ale stands out as my favorite to date, having many more layers of complexity, much better in proportion, balance and just a better synthesis of its total parts creating one. This is a fantastic presentation of the style, perhaps the icon.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I had my first AB at Monk's in Philly. I have to say that is a good beer. It was too dark to really get a good look at the appearance, but from what I could see it was a nice cherry or mahogany wood color.
Nice frothy head.
The taste is the best part of this beer. I'm still working on how to describe beers, but all I can say is that this beer is pretty intense. Lots of flavor. I couldn't drink 'em all night, but I could drink 'em every night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said before and I rarely, if ever, post a review.

Last night however we flooded in our street after storms that haven't been seen in this area within living memory. Our house escaped thankfully but I spent the day clearing out the one room that flooded and the garden which was shot to shit and, of course, helping the neighbours with whatever needed doing.

I've been abstaining from beer for Feb Fast which, given that we're only on the 5th, means I haven't gone too long although today also marks my 1 week without beer anniversary.

Anyway, after a truly awful 24 hours I decided a beer was in order and where did I turn? Arrogant Bastard. It's been over a year since i tried this beer and tonight there could have been no better beer I could have selected. It was all in one package. The malt, the hops the mouthfeel. Everything hit the spot and funnily what I'd actually been craving over the past few days was a real citrus driven IPA. This wasn't it but it was the better for it. I made the right choice putting those other beers back. The gargoyle spoke to me.

The rain has been off today so I'm going to have another beer.

Oíche mhaith

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I go back and forth wether I like this or Ruination more. RARELY does a beer come along that is new and original. Something that hasn't been done yet. Hoppy and bitter, alcoholic and deep. Color is somewhat amber and non flattering, hiding the truth. Head holds its own thru the entire course

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.