Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,814 | Reviews: 2,967
4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

i am not the biggest ale fan...until now. this ale is a wonderful blend of hoppy, bitter, and full body greatness...with a slight trace of an exotic spice from some small tribal community in southern Iran that i've never heard of. At first the inexperienced drinker may find this beer a bit vulgar, cocky and downright mean...but as the offensive posturing of this beer starts to mellow down and slides smoothly down your throat, you will find yourself begging for yet another fake beating. by the fourth gulp, you will be writing love notes.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hmmmm. I've had this beer a few times before and I have always enjoyed it, but tonight its just not as aggressive as I remember it. Still very good, but not as insanely hoppy as I thought it was.

Appearance is a nice dark brown almost reddish color with a huge three finger head. It smells great with a strong hoppy, floral and sweet aroma. This ale is clean and fresh tasting with plenty of hops, however there is less residual bitterness than in Stone IPA. The hoppy freshness is balanced with some malty sweetness and hints of toastiness. There is some fruity (perhaps grapefruit rind?) taste mixed in there as well. While there is a significant hoppy character to this brew, it is a delicious beer I could drink often. There is no need to be intimidated by the label or the name, if you enjoy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Liberty Ale you will probably like this one as well. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh glorious Beer God.

This is a beer for which, to possess, I would lay much on the altar of sacrifice.

A - Pours a reddish brown, almost exactly the color of the bottle. Beautiful, nuggety head with amazing lacing and retention.

S - I just died. In a good way.
The carmely malt is big here, but the caged beast of the hops are growling in the distance. Sharp, toasty, mostly sweet and only a tad citrusy, the nose is a fantastic allusion of things to come.

T - Wonderful complexity. Chocolates and light coffee overtones provide harmony to the melody of sweet carmel malts and hoppy bitterness. This is a HUGE beer. Delightfully complex, yet impeccably balanced. This is one for the ages. I prefer the oaked version, but only slightly.

M - Indulgent, medium to heavy body, The pour was thick, and the mouthfeel is correspondent.

D - Why can't all beers beer this good?

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

A - The beer poured a very nice and clear, dark bown with some copper hues. I could tell just by the way it looked that there was going to be some tasty toasted and caramel malt flavors in there.

S - A nice malty smell with some hop character. I was actually expecting to smell a little more hop but the malt took over. Certainly not a weakness, but I thought the smell was only good.

T - Wow! Now this is what a strong ale should taste like. Nice, strong malt flavors, that fade to be replaced by some tasty esters, and then the hops kick in. I was actually expecting the hops to be over the top, but not at all. The bold and sweet malt flavor completely balance out the strong hop character making it feel perfectly balanced.

M - I really liked the mouthfeel. The carbonation was perfect and the beer was very silky to me as it hit the tongue. Then you would get a slight "tingle" as the carbonation and alcohol would play.

D - An extremely drinkable beer. Although no session beer, it is so well balanced that it could almost be one. Although this would not allow you to appreciate it's complexity and could leave you feeling like you got your ass kicked.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I actually was thinking it was going to be over the top with all the arrogant marketing and from what I had heard. This was far from what I experienced, it was a very complex and well balanced beer. One that I will certainly be enjoying again.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Dark cherry red hue with brownish highlights, there was almost two fingers of beige head. The retention was excellent. As I quaffed this nectar plenty of sticky lace was produced. The nose is a magnificent blend of sweet caramel malts and very assertive hops. The aroma has great potency. The invitation of the bouquet accurately portrays what awaits the palate; plenty of critic/grapefruit notes, pleasantly harsh, bitter. Oh yeah the hops govern or so it seems! The sweet caramel malts are not forgotten. The alcohol stands alone, stark naked, and imposing in its manhood. The forwardness is well conceived and adds tremendous complexity and enjoyment. The lingering acidicness and bitterness begs your senses to take another sip and I gladly did. It is almost full-bodied, ideally firm carbonated. This is a perfectly powerful quaff. I wish I had another or a dozen!

Thank you Morris729 for this awesome beer!

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle tells me that I'm not worthy.
Let's find out.

A: Nice deep brownish-crimson color with thick, even tan head and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong hoppy smell that lets you know your drinking a beer that doesn't mess around. There's also some malt and a bit of sweet fruitiness in the smell as well. Nice combination.

T: A heavy, bitter hop flavor hits you right off-the-bat, but it's not the "Eew, this beer tastes awful" kind of taste that you get with some beers. It's more of a "Yeah. This beer is hardcore!" I'd call it a "kick" but it stays throughout each and every sip and in the after-taste as well. So, by definition, it's not really a "kick" it's more like a "strangle-hold." The strong hop flavor is complimented very nicely by the same malt sweetness that you get in the smell.

M: Crisp, smooth, medium-bodied. The carbonation is just right.

D: This beer is most certainly drinkable, but only for one who appreciates good beer. I could go with this stuff all night long, but that wouldn't do the beer justice. After a couple of 22oz bottles, I would switch to some other "buzz maintainer" that I won't need to taste.

If you're used to drinking the common beers of the big 3 (Miller/Bud/Coors) don't try to broaden your experience with this stuff, because it will probably turn you off, but if you're reading this review, you'll be fine. Just below the "Arrogant Bastard Ale" on the bottle you see the quote "You're Not Worthy" and they were RIGHT. I was NOT worthy before I became a beer advocate.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Clear deep amber with large light tan fluffy head that clings to the glass as it receeds.

S: Strong citrus, caramel, and some butterscotch. There nose is very strong and layered.

T: Bright citus hops hit you almost immediately as well as some mint, caramel (great malt backbone), a little roasted notes, some faint dark chocolate, and a nice slight tingle of alcohol that creates a crisp dry finish.

M: Creamy, crisp, and dry.

D: The flavors are layered one after another which makes me want to drink sip after sip to find more flavors. Not something to party all night with but nice to have a bomber while hanging out alone.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked this brew up at Trader Joe's for only $4.50. Elsewhere I had seen it for much more than my wife would prefer me spending.

22 oz bottle poured into one of my Brooklyn Brewery Pint glass.

A - Holy mother of the beer gods, this one is beautiful! Darker than I expected. Deep, rich mahogany color. Decent head, but very sticky lacing. It's leaving nice rings after each sip just how I like it. Looks beautiful!

S - Piney and spicy hops. Very complex. Sweet and spicy maltiness. Carmel-brown sugar smell going on. Can't pend too much time simply sniffing this beer. It begs to be tasted.

T - Bitter hops. So nice, though! Very hoppy Strong Ale. It has all the right qualities you'd expect from Stone. Bold hoppiness up front and through the mid pallet 'experience' followed up with a sweet roasty carmel malt at the end, right before a flood of that sam bitterness - the roastiness sticks around.

O - Has to be one of my new favorite beers. I like the roasty flavors at the finish. My ranking out of 100 is a solid 99. Do they have six packs of this beer? Please! The 22 oz are too small.

I'm not sure if this is the case with other reviewers - and I mean no disrespect by comparing such a phenomenal beer with another brewery, but I found Arrogant Bastard to be a bolder version of New Belgium's Fall Seasonal Red Hoptober. I know I know, "it's nothing like it," I get it, but the bouquet is similar (less hoppy, of course) and the roasted barley is almost right at Hoptober's.

Maybe I'm the only one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer! You have to have a taste for a stronger tasting beer to enjoy this one. Poured a darker brown color. Taste is hoppy, barley like. Not bad at all and will get again. I personally like a hoppy taste. I would say that it is just under the taste of an IPA. It also had about an index finger width worth of head on it that was tannish in color.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Very flavorful. Not overly hoppy but pretty bitter. A very delicious beer.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

22oz bomber in a pint glass.

This Beer Rocks!

A = Dark reddish brown. Clear. Two finger head with remarkable lacing. Nicely carbonated. If I saw someone with this at a bar I would ask what they were drinking.

S = Sweet malts, alcohol, faint citrus hops.

T = Complex. Sweet malts and alcohol before the Stone hops KICK in. Very well balanced. Dank pine and citrus hops throughout but they let other elements shine at the right time. Perfect representation of the style.

M = Refreshing. The hops and high ABV are noticeable but not overwhelming. Slightly thick and clinging aftertaste.

D = If you're looking for something to chill on for an hour or so, this is it. Not sure I would want more than one in a sitting.

One of my favorites.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

How did I take so long to review this beer? Pours from a 650ml bottle with no freshness date (not like it's necessary when buying 30 miles from the brewery) into my nonic glass that characteristic Arrogant Bastard color - darkest scarlet, quite clear, with a fantastic very tan head that hangs around to the last dregs and leaves lovely, thick lacing.

The smell is a one-two punch, very speedy - a whack of sleek, sweet, high-quality malt followed by the knuckles of grapefruity-bitter hops. Very Arrogant indeed. I always love the smell of this, because I know what comes next...

Mmmm... The taste... So much character in this beer. My preference is to take a couple of nice sips and then just relax. So many interesting things happen during and after swallowing that just make this beer. You get the mild taste of malts, followed by an oily smack of hops, but once you swallow, the beer's real flavors come to life. Sweet caramel tingles the tip of the tongue, hop oils cling like velcro to the rear, and the throat is glazed with a gorgeous caramel. All the flavors just cling and cling and combine into a harmony of flavors - sweet, bitter.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Carbonation is there without getting in the way of those flavors - it conspires to simultaneously soothe and tingle different parts of the tongue. Medium body that leaves behind a heavy, delicious aftertaste. The alcohol is present, playing a fantastic supporting role.

One of my absolute favorites, and not just because of the marketing (though I am a whore for Stone's attitude). Hopefully this will be available everywhere soon enough, converting the curious into the truly Arrogant.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic.

Looks fucking amazing. Deep amber, barley color with an amazing head that sticks and leaves the entire glass covered with lace and foam.

Aroma is hops. Piney hops. You know what..that's it. Fucking hops with a little bit of malt. Hops...is that bad??? No, not too me.

Taste is extreme piney hops on the front. Middle is huge smells of danky club pot smoke and biscuits. The finish is dry hops and hops....and it's good. Bread and sweet malty biscuits. Absolutely no booze.

This is an outstanding beer, I want more.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

The Bastard pours with a tan head: fine with big bubbles in the middle. It condenses to a nice blob of vanilla ice cream with sticky, thick lacing. The beer itself is a beautiful garnet color. The nose is piney hops with underlying sweetness. The front is a slap-in-the face, bitter piney taste but this gives way to a full, sweet, malty middle (not that the hops go away, mind you). The finish is a lingering, strong, bitter, alcholic hop dream. Major cream and chocolate push through at temperature. This is just an amazing, hoppy, malty, creamy, classic concoction. One of a kind.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at Mug’s Ale House in Brooklyn, NY.

Appearance: Beautiful clear mahogany. Off white head.

Smell: Strong hops and citrus.

Taste: Hops, citrus, hops, more hops. Also tasted some hops in there as well. Did I forget to mention hops? Glorious hops flavor. I also tasted an outdoorsy leafy taste in there as well (hop leaves, or maybe just the character of the hops themselves?). But a beer cannot live by hops alone. The hops are extremely well balanced by the malt flavors. Wonderful bitter aftertaste. Very strong tasting. Outrageous! Yowsa!

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable. Definitely packs a wallop but so good. I would drink this till the end of time.

Comments: Life is good. Stone is now available in NY. Oh those hops. Worthy or not, for now on, I will ALWAYS have a pint (or 2, or 3, or ….) of the Arrogant whenever I find it or it finds me.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

This is one of my absolute favorite beers. I first drank it in a fisherman’s bar in Alaska. There is no doubt about it.... this was my gateway beer, it sent me in search of other true "craft" brews.

A: A nice mahogany red in color. Big thick 3 finger head at the initial pour. There is nice lacing left behind as I pounded this one.

S: Very nice and hoppy. There is definite pine and citrus with hints of caramel and molasses.

T: This is where this beer shines. At first swallow I taste the pine, very resiny. Then the hops come on the scene. It finishes very malty bready almost with the taste of hops still lingering. Perfectly Balanced.

M: Medium bodied and ever so smooth and creamy.

D: I love this beer and could drink it by the growler full until I was fall down drunk.

Overall: As I said I give this beer credit for turning me into the beer geek / hophead that I am. Before trying this beer I was happy consuming BMC with an occasional micro brew on the side. When I left Alaska I did not see it again for several years. In the meantime I began to reach out to other brewers in the attempt to find something special.

Today every time I travel I keep an eye out for Arrogant Bastard since it is not yet available in Florida. I see her as an old flame, a lost love. Every time we reunite there are sparks which brings me back to my trip to Alaska, one of the greatest experiences of my life. Thank you Stone for making this beer which brought me out of my shell and sent me in search of other great craft brews. But most of all thank you for bring out the Arrogant Bastard in me.

Now go F**k yourself...just kidding...you have to excuse me I just pounded a bomber and that’s the Arrogant Bastard coming out of me.

Arrogant Bastard Ale | 650 ml. | 7.2% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Stone Brewing Co. (North County, San Diego)
Style: American Strong Ale
Glass: Snifter

Presentation:
Brown bomber featuring a cocky gargoyle silk screen printed on the front, and some choice words on the back:
"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory -- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Appearance:
A mahogany brown with deep red highlights. The head is small, but as it diminishes it leaves an attractive swirling film on the top.

Aroma:
Coarse hops, toasted grains, fruity esters and a deep, alcoholic backbone.

Taste:
Big malty sweetness with prominent caramel notes. caramel, Toasted/roasted flavors hang in the background swathed in a layer of prickly alcohol. The hop profile has a raw, coarse quality to it that's all the more visceral. Finishes with a lingering sweetness, caramel, and grainy, roasted coffee.

Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied and very smooth.

Harmony:
Wow, I'm very impressed with this brew. It's extraordinarily complex whilst keeping the alcohol in check to maximize drinkability.

Price = $5.89 at DAG's

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Had a few of these little devils served in mason jars at a bar in indiana.

The color of this demon of an ale was a nice clear dark brown with a head of heavy cream colored foam billowing up the top.

The smell of this ale was a strong smoky aroma with a nice malt and hop finish

The taste of this ale was like sipping a jar of pure power. A perfect blend of strong malty goodness with a powerful blast of smoky flavor. This flavor really can boast the arrogance of it's name.

The mouth feel of this one was pretty heavy as this guy tends to be on the darker side of beer.

The drinkability of this is pretty fantastic for as strong as it is, you can still taste the nice alcoholic power behind this one.

This is one of my favorites and to see it on tap was pure mind blowing goodness.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Brown color with a finger of tan head, left rings of lace all the way down the glass.

Smell is mostly hops with some carmel malts.

Taste is very very complex lots of carmel malts, sweet in the middle, with a great finish of very bitter hoppiness.

Very thick mouthfeel this is a high alcohal brew but I think even with the bitterness I could drink quit of bit of this brew.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance- Deep rich Burgundy color with a nice frothy head, which laced nicely all the way down the glass.

Smell- Smells of Chinook, biscuity, malty, and a very nice bread-like aroma

Taste-bitter up front, middle, and end. Come to think of it, this is one bitter beer. The bitterness even lingered around on my palate after I swallowed. The beer had a nice crisp clean taste overall. Stars with a warming alcohol sensation and end with some major hops.

Mouthfeel- Nice mix of malt and hops. Nice full bodied beer, surprisingly easy to drink despite it's original gravity.

Drinkability- Great beer, not a good choice for a session beer, but I could probably enjoy three of these in one sitting without any trouble, just get a Designated driver.
I really like this beer, and would put it in my top ten list

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance dark red amber with a thick head and nice lacing. Smell of hop, malt and sweet bread, light citrus and molassas. Taste of hops that is nicely balanced with the malts, citrus rind leaving with a nice sweet bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick and full of body. A excellent IPA and one that stands out amongst many great American IPA's.

Review # 500.

Nice painted bomber. Great, sarcastic "liner notes" (what do you call the "extra" writings on a beer label ?).

Ah, to finally use my Arrogant Bastard glass. Bold red body, excellent clarity. Multiple slow streams of fine carbonation. Four full fingers of oatmeal colored bubbly foam.

Aoma is a thick pine forest, and at the end of the woods, a citrus grove, and down the road in the farmhouse, fresh bread in the oven. Just not as big as I had anticipated.

A stunningly deep, malty, caramelly, semi-sweet chocolate beginning lays down a bedrock foundation. Then, as it seems that last drop of sweet liquid has dropped down the throat, a mushroom cloud of hoppy bitterness seemingly rises out of the gullet, scraping away any sweetness with a gentle abrasive. The bitterness lingers long and proud, like a slowly receding tide on a late summer day.

Solid medium mouthfeel, seems like it wants to get to full but can't quite reach it.

Drinkability is flat out wonderful. Invites long pulls. Be gone in a second if i wasn't deliberately pausing to savor the hoppy afterglows.

Lived up to the hype. Big and balanced, wonderfully constructed. I'll be arrogant and call myself worthy. The beer is worthy too.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful red/amber color with a decent thick foam head that settles down to about a quarter of an inch that persists and leaves some very nice lace.

The aroma is pine resin and hops with a rich malt background.

The taste is similar but even richer with pine up front, fading into a grapefruit flavor toward the finish, rich caramel malt, slightly sweet to balance the hops, hints of coffee, smoke, and biscuits. Finishes dry with a lingering grapefruit/pine aftertaste that somehow makes you want another.

Medium/full bodied, very smooth, almost too drinkable with only the slightest hint of the alcohol. Very nice.

Overall this was an excellent brew, kind of like a grown-up IPA. Well named.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured this from a 22 oz. brown bottle.

Nice deep brownish red color with a thick, sticky head. Very intimidating.

Very complex smell. Definitely citrusy, hints of pineapple, with lots of hops.

Even more complex flavor. I liken this beer to watching Akira or reading Harry Potter - every time I experience it, I notice something new. Excellent.

Nice carbonation. Thick, but not too thick. Perfect mouthfeel.

One of the best out there. If you love beer, you owe it to yourself to try this. Heck, even if you don't, reading the bottle itself is worth the price of purchase.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Deep dark-cherry/mahogany body. Generous, frothy, and persistant light-tan milkshake head that leaves thick foamy lace on everything it touches. Beautiful.
Smell: Floral and citrus hops, sweet caramel malt.
Taste: Oh mama, da hops! Medium-bodied sweet and toasted (even some smoke) malt to start, warm alcohol and crisp bubbling tingle at the top...then BAM!!, bitter-dry/citrus-crisp hop finish. Whew... incredible balance.
Mouthfeel: Rich chewy, creamy malt. Carbonation is perfect size and level to compliment the taste. Soothing alcohol warmth.
Drinkability: This brew lives up to the hype... thank the maker (ha ha) that this is now available in my area. Reminds me of Wailing Wench, but less rough around the edges...which is nice sometimes.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.